New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    He also missed Page 9
    There is no page 9. #Team40PostsPerPage
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I think at this point it would honestly be easier to link the whole thread for discussion. Lots of stuff on alignment, the problems of making monsters Always Evil, and Rich's motivations for making OOTS here. Highlights include his regrets for panel 1 of strip 11, why he included dragons, and a lot of stuff on alignment.
    I think the vast, vast majority of that thread doesn't need to be included. It's about the alignment system and racism, but it's really not anything that needs to be archived. Like he said at the end, if you don't see those themes in his work, then you're simply not going to see them.

At best, the entire thread is just reiterating his already well known theme that "Killing something simply because it's labeled 'evil' in the monster manual, and not because of it's actions is wrong."

It was interesting to read, but really in the end I don't think archiving it here serves any real purpose that other quotes and the strip itself don't already state.

edit- Except the bit about strip #11, I nominate that to put under Roy.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2013-09-17 at 09:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'd favor linking the whole thread. It's eloquent and well thought out and deserves not to be lost. As a long-form statement of the author's motivating philosophy, you can't beat it.

The bit about comic #11 is comparatively trivial and not very illuminating, to me; it's basically a big shrug about the comic's early days and how it's not terrible but he wouldn't write it quite the same now, which is nothing we don't know about the first hundred strips already.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toper View Post
    I'd favor linking the whole thread. It's eloquent and well thought out and deserves not to be lost. As a long-form statement of the author's motivating philosophy, you can't beat it.

The bit about comic #11 is comparatively trivial and not very illuminating, to me; it's basically a big shrug about the comic's early days and how it's not terrible but he wouldn't write it quite the same now, which is nothing we don't know about the first hundred strips already.
    I vote against linking to the whole thread. We should choose one or two posts that are most relevant to OotS, and call it a day.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    I vote against linking to the whole thread. We should choose one or two posts that are most relevant to OotS, and call it a day.
    I agree. Linking to the thread runs counter to the intent of indexing the Giant's comments. A large number of quotes we've already indexed are from large discussion thread posts, where the post itself might have been missed when it was first made (and certainly hard to locate afterward); I don't see why this one should be treated any differently.

Whether any of the particular posts deserve a spot in the oddly-triple-link entry we already have....
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    D&D, Alignment, and Morality: Rich on the comic's criticism of the way D&D has been played for over three decades. "D&D cannot and should not begin and end at black-and-white, and indeed already doesn't, if everyone would just learn to look at things a little more complexly." See also here (D&D "racism" and alignment) and here (the real world applicability of Redcloak's story). (02/14/2012; #835)
    ...is another question entirely; one I don't have an opinion on.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2013-09-17 at 12:52 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Toper View Post
    The Giant's hypothetical views on strip #11 have come up several times in discussions I've been in within the past several months alone. That post should definitely be indexed, as it will certainly be looked for in the future.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2013-09-17 at 01:52 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    The Giant's hypothetical views on strip #11 have come up several times in discussions I've been in within the past several months alone. That post should definitely be indexed, as it will certainly be looked for in the future.
    Yep, that strip will be invariably invoked next time a character does something controversial. As it will be and it has always been.

So, including that commentary in the Index is, like, a must.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2013-09-17 at 03:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    There is no page 9. #Team40PostsPerPage
    We'd rather you didn't do that for technical reasons, but if you must, at least don't advertise it.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    We'd rather you didn't do that for technical reasons, but if you must, at least don't advertise it.
    Does viewing 40 per page make the forum slower or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    I thought I had read something about it was discouraged to do so and wanted to post that, but couldn't find a quote

Edit: Would it be better forum-wise if I would reduce my post-per-page count? Or would changing in either direction burden the forum?
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2013-09-17 at 04:53 PM.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

The Giant identifies the most accurate comment in the history of the forums . To wit, that it might not have been such a good idea to have to draw so many minions.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    The Giant identifies the most accurate comment in the history of the forums . To wit, that it might not have been such a good idea to have to draw so many minions.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    While I certainly appreciate being recognized as writing "the most accurate comment in the history of the forums," I don't think the quote serves any real purpose except to point out that drawing a lot of people (instead of fewer people) is hard. Seems self-evident to me.
    Last edited by Muenster Man; 2013-09-17 at 10:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muenster Man View Post
    Rich is probably thinking something like: "Oh no, why did I think it would be a good idea to have to draw so many minions!"

This is easily the most accurate comment on a comic ever.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ettin in the Playground

New comment is up.

The destruction of Girard's Pyramid dispelling the winds of the Windy Canyon is a valid interpretation.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Eh, with due respect to your thread, I don't think that seeming discrepancy has been noticed by enough people to merit a comment "explaining" it. Until the thread went up, I don't think many people gave it any heed, especially since the whole "Windy Windy Canyon" strip was years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

I figure people like the world building-y comments.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Firbolg in the Playground

I figure people like the world building-y comments.
    Yep, I'm in favor of including pretty much all world-building comments that aren't redundant.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Troll in the Playground

I've got to say, the comments made by the Giant (and by some, though far from all, others) in that Alien Intelligence thread are pretty classic. They may not qualify for inclusion based on their less-specific-to-OOTS subject matter, but I think that would be a shame.
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    I've got to say, the comments made by the Giant (and by some, though far from all, others) in that Alien Intelligence thread are pretty classic. They may not qualify for inclusion based on their less-specific-to-OOTS subject matter, but I think that would be a shame.
    Are you going to propose particular posts from it to be included in the Index, then?

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

Two shiny new additions about armies in D&D settings.

Edit: Make it four, although I think the third doesn't quite belong here.
    Last edited by Gray Mage; 2013-09-18 at 09:49 PM.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Are you going to propose particular posts from it to be included in the Index, then?
    Sure, alright. I specifically like these three.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

I had some... stuff... come up that I won't get into. Needless to say I will try to do the update later this week. In the meantime, keep suggesting stuff and remember if you want to nominate that a quote should be removed from the index make that plain in bold:

Nominating for removal etc. etc.

so that I won't overlook it when voting time comes.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I had some... stuff... come up that I won't get into.
    I hope you're alright.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Sure, alright. I specifically like these three.
    I definitely support the "even dragons" post being included. There seems to be a decent amount of people who think that Rich is only trying to change the way Humanoids are treated. In fact, I distinctly remember someone insisting that the ogres and sea trolls seen in the comic are "not sentient."

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Troll in the Playground

I definitely support the "even dragons" post being included. There seems to be a decent amount of people who think that Rich is only trying to change the way Humanoids are treated. In fact, I distinctly remember someone insisting that the ogres and sea trolls seen in the comic are "not sentient."
    I thought this post particularly summed up the limits of allowability and where and when the Giant is speaking out against. Then again, just because I found someone arguing that Sabine would completely cease to care about Nale (as she never really did being a succubus) the moment he bit the dust, and the Celia wasn't capable of lasting emotional connection either (being a personification of wind) doesn't mean that there was any suggestion to that effect in the comic, ever.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=98

It says clearly that he does not have a problem with other portrayals of, say demons, but that he himself gives them human responses. Also he is specifically addressing D&D and how it's played, though I'm unclear to the extent that what he says is meant to or includes all sci-fi & fantasy literature. With the exception of some clear statements "if a fictional human kills a fictional dragon for no reason..."
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2013-09-20 at 09:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Probably pretty much common knowledge - I know I've stated it several times - but Giant confirms there are years left of story to tell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Titan in the Playground

OK, so since I was REALLY bored and wanted to see if I could get this to work....Here's the current state of the index in table-y form, with a an added "characters" section repeating relevant comments.

Spoiler
    Show
    General Comments
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Notices

02/24/2012|#870|[div]For Those Who Missed Out on Kickstarter[/div]The swag, sans patches, will be very likely available again at some point.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Miscellaneous Comments

07/06/2013|#897|[div]An OOTS "Munchkin" Board Game?[/div]No current plans for one.
    06/10/2013|#892|[div]An OOTS Computer Game?[/div]No current plans for one. See here for more.
    04/11/2011|#786|[div]eBooks[/div]Yes, Rich has considered it. Digital PDF's are not in the works. Rich prefers to sell physical copy books.
    05/19/2010|#724|[div]Top Webcomics[/div]Do not vote for OOTS on Top Webcomics.[/table]

Alignment
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    General

07/23/2013|#903|[div]Alignment and Authorial Intent[/div]What does Rich mean when he says X character is Y alignment?
    07/22/2013|#903|[div]Who Else is Neutral[/div] A long list of Neutral characters in the comic. See also here.
    06/06/2013|#891|[div]Shojo's Chaotic Government[/div]Shojo's Chaotic government was still good, not evil.
    06/03/2013|#891|[div]More on Being Lawful[/div]More on being Lawful Good in D&D and the OOTS.
    02/14/2013|#835|[div]D&D, Alignment, and Morality[/div]Rich on the comic's criticism of the way D&D has been played for over three decades. "D&D cannot and should not begin and end at black-and-white, and indeed already doesn't, if everyone would just learn to look at things a little more complexly." See also here (D&D "racism" and alignment) and here (the real world applicability of Redcloak's story).
    02/18/2012|#838|[div]D&D's Alignment System[/div]Thoughts on how it could be improved.
    01/23/2012|#830|[div]Redcloak is Evil[/div]
    11/18/2011|#815|[div]Elan and Nale's Parentage[/div]How did it affect their alignment? Giant can't fully answer because of events yet to be revealed. Elan spared Nale's life because of Elan's understanding of what it means to be good.
    10/25/2011|#812|[div]Alignment and Environment[/div]Enor and Gannji were not operating wholly outside the ethical framework of the Empire of Blood. This doesn't change the nature of their acts but does mean that the acts are not as indicative of their overall alignment as some might suppose.
    10/24/2011|#812|[div]Enor & Gannji are True Neutral[/div]
    08/17/2011|#801|[div]V is True Neutral[/div]
    07/27/2011|#798|[div]Durkon is Lawful Good[/div]
    12/07/2010|#763|[div]Tarquin is Lawful Evil[/div]
    02/15/2006|#281|[div]On Being Lawful Good[/div]Being Lawful Good in D&D and the OOTS.
    12/01/2005|#251|[div]Belkar is Chaotic Evil[/div]
    01/20/2005|#142|[div]Nale, Sabine, and Thog are all Evil[/div][/table]

Art
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    General

06/28/2013|#896|[div]How the Giant Writes and Draws the Strips[/div]And an answer to the question - why are certain strips several pages long?
    06/07/2013|#891|[div]Art Should Challenge Preconceptions[/div]
    02/26/2013|#871|[div]Light and Art[/div]The art style doesn't show lighting and shading, much like how it doesn't show noses.
    02/18/2013|#870|[div]Speech Bubbles[/div]Don't overthink them... they are subservient to the story. Malack's bubbles are only black when he "vamps out."
    04/11/2012|#848|[div]Examples of Rich's Non-Stick-Figure Art Talent[/div]Rich's mad art skills on showcase. Also more here.
    03/07/2012|#843|[div]True Subjective View In 843[/div]V gets cornered.
    11/20/2010|#759|[div]Why the Strip Titles Aren't Above the Strip[/div]The titles are "bonus" jokes. Rich prefers not to put them above the strip itself.
    10/06/2009|#683|[div]Character Appearances & Forum Speculation[/div]Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. For example, just because two persons have similar hairstyles doesn't mean they are related.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Art & Magic

07/26/2012|#859|[div]Meld Into Stone[/div]Art trumps rules accuracy here in order to show the warping of the spell effect.
    01/23/2012|#830|[div]Counterspelling[/div]The Giant doesn't use different art to differentiate between counterspelling with Dispel Magic and counterspelling with the same spell.
    06/28/2010|#731|[div]Spell Colors[/div]The colors come from the spellcaster's choice or personality, and not their alignment or the types of magic.
    03/15/2010|#706|[div]Invisibility[/div]Why the art for invisible characters isn't consistent (utility trumps consistency).[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Art & Merchandise

11/22/2011|#816|[div]Characters and Merchandise[/div]The presence, absence, position, or style of any character on any piece of merchandise has no bearing on any future (or past) plot points.
    03/16/2011|#781|[div]Black and White Books[/div]They are unlikely to ever be colorized, and were not originally in color. Rich drew them in black and white.
    09/05/2010|#744|[div]The Oracle's Location on the OOTS Poster[/div]Don't read too much into it.[/table]

D&D Rules and Explanations
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    General

06/11/2013|#873|[div]Girard's Illusion Runes[/div]They are a ninth-level spell, not an epic spell.
    06/20/2012|#856|[div]Malack's Undead[/div]Malack reanimates the dead Draketooths into mummies.
    04/06/2011|#785|[div]Acid-Born Shark[/div]Rich created it, and made fun of himself in the comic.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Character Items

03/03/2013|#878|[div]Why V Doesn't Have a Staff[/div]There is no narrative purpose for it, and it would just be one more item to keep track of in the art.
    09/12/2012|#863|[div]The Keoghtum's Ointment[/div]The Keoghtum's Ointment removes deafness because it is extra strength.
    03/09/2012|#844|[div]Durkon Throws Diamond Dust[/div]Durkon threw diamond dust into the air in 844.
    05/29/2011|#793|[div]Haley's Boots of Speed[/div]Yes, she did get them dyed to match her brown/tan garb.
    05/13/2010|#723|[div]Elan's Rapiers[/div]He has two. His original, and one from Julio Scoundrel.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Character Quirks

07/30/2013|#906|[div]Malack is not Paranoid[/div]
    06/03/2013|#891|[div]V is a Vegetarian[/div][/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Character Stats

07/30/2013|#906|[div]Malack's Grapple Skills[/div]Malack's grapple skills were a hunting aid, not for optimization/combat. A character's skills have to be looked at in the context of their whole life, not "what I would do in a game."
    04/09/2013|#883|[div]Vampire Durkon Can Cast Spells[/div]A cleric doesn't have to worship a deity to cast spells.
    07/23/2012|#858|[div]Tarquin Doesn't Have Trap Sense[/div]"I don't usually bother making fun of mechanics anymore, but if I do, I'm not that subtle about it."
    09/19/2011|#806|[div]Durkon's Mass Death Ward[/div]Rich did not even know Mass Death Ward existed when he wrote the strip. He pegged it at 7th level instead of 8th.
    08/14/2011|#800|[div]Tsukiko Breaks The Rules[/div]Tsukiko has too many schools. Rich doesn't make character decisions based on common player trends.
    04/10/2010|#714|[div]OOTS' Stats[/div]Rich hasn't written them down, and everything is up in the air until they need a specific ability.
    01/03/2006|#262|[div]A Piece of Straw[/div]Haley used a piece of straw to get out of the jail cell. Info on Haley's Dexterity, Level, etc.
    05/03/2004|#65|[div]Elan and Nale are Twins[/div]So Nale has the same Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution as Elan.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Combat Scenes and Explanations

03/02/2013|#876|[div]Malack and Mass Death Ward[/div]Why did Malack bother checking if Durkon protected himself when he could simply dispel the spell and not care at all?
    02/28/2013|#873|[div]Battle Scenes and D&D Tactics[/div]"My job is to entertain, not to showcase perfect D&D tactics. If you can't be entertained by anything BUT perfect D&D tactics, that's on you."
    10/06/2011|#808|[div]Roy's Arena Fight With Thog[/div]Roy's strategy to taunt a dungeon-crashing Thog into breaking the pillars.
    09/07/2011|#800|[div]Zz'Ditri's Break Enchantment[/div]Rich didn't read the casting time while making the strip.
    11/30/2005|#251|[div]Miko's Fight[/div]How Miko defeated the OOTS off-panel and captured them.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Rules Accuracy

01/10/2012|#826|[div]Rules Accuracy In The Comic, II[/div]Case in point: Rich avoids the D&D term "calling" for the sake of non-D&D OOTS readers, who probably would not understand its meaning.
    09/20/2011|#806|[div]Game Balance Doesn't Matter in This Story[/div]"I was communicating the way I expected the audience would perceive it, then I began the process of abolishing that perception."
    08/17/2011|#801|[div]Rules Accuracy In The Comic[/div]"If you are looking for moment-to-moment rules accuracy from this comic, you probably should stop reading."[/table]

Story/Plot
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    General

06/21/2013|#890|[div]About Girard's Double Bluff[/div]About Girard's double bluff to protect the Gate.
    06/19/2013|#894|[div]Familicide II[/div]More on how Familicide works.
    06/11/2013|#893|[div]The Dream Runes[/div]Elan's victory as character development. Also, Nale was the only LG member affected by the runes.
    06/09/2013|#891|[div]Kubota and Hinjo[/div]Why Kubota still wanted to kill Hinjo after the other nobles had given up.
    06/06/2013|#891|[div]The Azurite Nobles and Hinjo[/div]The nobles thought they could save their own skins from Xykon with Hinjo out of the way.
    05/25/2013|#890|[div]What Belkar Saw[/div]What Belkar saw while affected by the dream runes.
    04/09/2013|#882|[div]V's Children[/div]The Giant made them adopted to leave open the possibility that V/Inkyrius are gay or lesbian.
    02/18/2013|#870|[div]Scrying in the Desert[/div]It was Zz'ditri who scryed on the Order after they found Girard's illusion.
    11/25/2012|#859|[div]Dragon Continuity[/div]The Dragon Magazine strips and Gygax magazine strips exist in a separate continuity from the OOTS strips.
    03/07/2012|#843|[div]Familicide[/div]How Familicide works.
    02/18/2012|#838|[div]Some Thoughts on Visuals and Story[/div]People get invested in the story, not the art, of a comic.
    09/01/2011|#804|[div]More Prequels?[/div]The total number of planned prequel stories is "pretty much fixed."
    06/23/2010|#737|[div]Not everything needs a backstory[/div]Not everything needs a backstory, or even has an interesting one worth telling.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Calendars and Dates

07/02/2010|#732|[div]OOTS Age Range[/div]Intended to be early to mid 20s. Durkon is the "dwarf equivalent" of this age range, in his 50s.
    05/26/2010|#725|[div]Chronology & Timeline[/div]Anything that states a numbered, dated year references the Northern calendar. The Oracle uses the Southern calendar. Further details on timeframe of Belkar's death prophecy included. Some time references in the strip (like the deva's chart) should not be taken too literally.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Culture and Geography

04/08/2013|#882|[div]Class Systems and Careers[/div]Also, FYI, Durkon isn't "white."
    02/21/2013|#870|[div]Nergal and Undeath[/div]Nergal is not against undeath. Malack just doesn't like using the undead as canon fodder.
    04/11/2012|#848|[div]Religions and Deities in OOTS World[/div]Background details on who worships whom, and on Thor, Hel, and the Twelve Gods.
    09/12/2010|#746|[div]Map of the Western Continent[/div]It is constantly changing.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Reading Too Much Into It

03/01/2013|#875|[div]Malack's Chamber Plans[/div]This was intended to use the imagery of factory farming, not the Holocaust. Malack plans to create a vampire ruling class.
    03/01/2013|#875|[div]Malack's Vampirism and LGBT[/div]Malack's condition is not an allegory for LGBT.
    11/21/2011|#811|[div]Orrin Draketooth's Daughter[/div]She's not Haley.
    04/11/2011|#786|[div]Belkar's Jokes[/div]Belkar making a joke about something does not make it so.
    07/02/2010|#732|[div]Current Politics[/div]There are no references to current politics in the strip beyond those which readers invent themselves.
    03/04/2010|#705|[div]TV Tropes[/div]Rich is aware it exists. No, he doesn't use it for ideas or reference it in any way in the comic.
    10/26/2009|#687|[div]Pratchett[/div]Rich hasn't read Pratchett.
    06/02/2009|#667|[div]Hidden Meanings[/div]Not everything in the comic has one.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Soon's Gate Backstory and Explanation

09/01/2011|#804|[div]Soon's Castle[/div]Soon built the castle, but did not build Azure City.
    08/21/2011|#801|[div]Soon's Gem and Gate[/div]Details about Soon's rift and how it is protected. The gate/rift could not be moved. You can shift a gate to another plane, but not another place on this plane.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Storytelling Mistakes?

04/07/2013|#882|[div]On Character Importance and Leadership Skills[/div]The Giant doesn't feel a character suffers for not having "leadership skills," and won't force someone's development just to give them said skills.
    03/02/2013|#876|[div]On Plots and Boredom[/div]"If one does not care about the protagonists or antagonists and is not emotionally invested in their struggles, and all one cares about is the resolution of the MacGuffin chase, then you will almost certainly be bored with a lot of the material I'm producing."
    09/07/2012|#862|[div]True Resurrection[/div]True Resurrection as a narrative-wrecking device, and an answer to the age-old "why didn't x character do y?" question.
    08/18/2012|#860|[div]A Missed Opportunity in 602?[/div]Why Hilgya was not the Cleric of Loki working for the Thieves' Guild.
    03/20/2012|#845|[div]The Gods Created Creatures After The World Was Created[/div]Is this a contradiction? No. There is no Gaia hypothesis in OOTS world.
    01/10/2012|#826|[div]No Purpose?[/div]"As a general rule of thumb, no one should say the sentence, 'There's no (or no other) possible narrative purpose for Rich to have done X!' until the story is completed. Because there's always a narrative purpose, you just haven't thought of what it is."
    09/19/2011|#806|[div]Surprises Are Not Deus Ex Machinas[/div]
    05/02/2009|#650|[div]Racism and Sex in OOTS[/div]Rich answers two separate concerns: One, whether there is some correlation between skin color and promiscuity, and two, whether there is too much promiscuity among the women portrayed in the comic. The short answer to both is no.
    09/30/2008|#597|[div]Typo in 597?[/div]Nope. It is a joke.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Plot Holes

07/29/2013|#906|[div]Why Didn't Malack Prepare Word of Recall?[/div]Further explanation here and here (with a few remarks on plot holes in general).
    06/19/2013|#894|[div]Did Durkon Lie?[/div]No, the Giant forgot that Durkon said he didn't prepare "Detect Magic."
    06/11/2013|#893|[div]Why Didn't Girard Prepare a Better Trap Against Undead?[/div]"There is a big jump from knowing that illusions don't affect undead to being able to do anything about it--or expecting every defense to affect every possible creature type."
    01/26/2013|#866|[div]Why Destroy Tsukiko's Remains if Redcloak was just going to tell Xykon he killed her?[/div]One reason is so that Xykon would be unable to Speak With Dead on Tsukiko... or Raise Dead.
    11/30/2011|#816|[div]Giant's Response II[/div]A character thinking one thing instead of another thing is not a mistake, it just is. The rift grew according to Redcloak's predictions, but he was measuring the actual hole, not the cracks.
    11/29/2011|#816|[div]Giant's Response I[/div]Including - why Haley was surprised that Miko was killed, info on Nale's self-delusion and ego, how the rift got so close to Xykon's Tower (it grew), and what is and isn't a plot hole.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Writing Process and Story Development

07/28/2013|#906|[div]Durkon Becomes a Vampire[/div]Originally, Durkon was going to become a vampire in the dungeon of Dorukan. This plot element has been developing for some time and even predates Xykon himself.
    07/28/2013|#906|[div]Characters as Plot Devices[/div]Both Redcloak and Malack had humble beginnings that developed into something more.
    07/28/2013|#906|[div]The Girard's Gate Plotline[/div]Tarquin and the LG are the main adversaries of this book; Team Evil was never going to battle the OOTS at Girard's Gate.
    07/25/2013|#904|[div]Nale's Wand[/div]Its function in the story. Also, a brief side-note about why Xykon showed up at Girard's gate a few seconds too late.
    04/09/2013|#883|[div]On Writing Female Characters[/div]The difficulties and fan reactions.
    04/08/2013|#882|[div]LGBT Characters[/div]Why there aren't more in the comic. Also see this.
    05/29/2011|#793|[div]V's Gender History[/div]Why Rich made V's gender ambiguous and what discussions about it were like in the early days. Roy's 'V-man' comment is not necessarily indicative of V's true gender.
    06/20/2005|#196|[div]Dungeon of Dorukan History[/div]Originally, Dorukan was not even necessarily a person.
    07/12/2004|#86|[div]The Dwarven god Thor[/div]OOTS Thor is not based off of D&D Thor. Until referenced in the comic, the Nordic legends/mythology does not exist in OOTSverse.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Character Development/Backstory

04/07/2013|#882|[div]Haley's Leadership[/div]A greedy self-centered rogue becomes leader. Belkar and Haley are the only one's who questioned her leadership skills during the Azure City Resistance.
    02/26/2013|#872|[div]Durkon and Malack's Breakup[/div]Durkon reacts not only to Malack's vampirism, but to his alliance with the Linear Guild. He knows that Malack does not know Belkar isn't innocent.
    12/18/2012|#863|[div]Miko's Popularity[/div]Miko's story was not "cut short" because of fan opinions - it was precisely the length intended. Rich does not make storytelling decisions based on finances.
    11/18/2011|#815|[div]Parental Problems[/div]Background info on the parents of various characters like Elan and Haley, including character/plot development history.
    11/18/2011|#815|[div]Miko and Shojo[/div]Shojo was the "tape" that held Miko's character together for so long. He was responsible for much in Miko that was good/positive.
    08/21/2011|#801|[div]V's Splices[/div]There won't be a prequel book about them, and Rich hasn't developed a backstory for them. Just 3 evil souls.
    08/18/2011|#801|[div]Worldbuilding vs. Foreshadowing[/div]"Say hello to your boss for me."[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Character Names

03/10/2013|#879|[div]Azurite Names[/div]Why O-Chul isn't Oh Chul.
    10/11/2010|#749|[div]Tarquin's Name[/div]Named after a Roman King, not the Grand Moff.
    10/10/2010|#749|[div]Malack's Name[/div]Not based off of Darth Malak. Originally was going to be named Malachi.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    The Story as a D&D Spoof

01/29/2012|#831|[div]D&D Spoof Part II[/div]More on the comic's shift in focus from D&D gag-a-day jokes to a story that might appeal to a broader fanbase.
    01/22/2012|#829|[div]D&D Spoof[/div]The Giant on the comic's shift in focus from D&D gag-a-day jokes to a story that might appeal to a broader fanbase.[/table]

Spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Prequels

01/04/2013|#864|[div]The Rise of the Dark One[/div]The other gods lost their one shot to gang up on him and kill him. The Dark One has since been building his power.
    09/07/2012|#862|[div]How Xykon Broke Out[/div]How Xykon broke out (with some insight into The Giant's writing process). On Xykon and Redcloak's escape from Lirian, see also this post.
    02/14/2012|#835|[div]Redcloak's Little Sister[/div]She was not irredeemably evil, and certainly did not deserve execution.
    01/12/2012|#826|[div]The Crimson Mantle[/div]Generally it is not known by non-goblins that the mantle is the source of power.
    08/03/2011|#799|[div]Dragon Magazine Alternate Panel[/div]What didn't show up in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails.
    03/15/2010|#706|[div]SoD Paladins & Miko's Fall[/div]Only the crayon pages are narrative by Redcloak. Not every event is necessarily "seen." Certain scenes are largely shown from Redcloak's perspective. Details of why the paladins who killed Redcloak's people may or may not have fallen, why it doesn't matter, and how showing it would have cheapened the effect of Miko's fall later.
    06/15/2008|#566|[div]Right-Eye's Family[/div]They weren't raised because Redcloak doesn't control Team Evil's finances to pay for resurrection, Xykon does. Evil characters are not discouraged / prohibited from raising the dead in OOTSverse.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Kickstarter Bonus PDFs

02/25/2013|#871|[div]Cornered For Donations[/div]"Nervous" and "Afraid" look pretty much the same, which helped with the misdirection at the start of Belkar's story.
    02/23/2012|#870|[div]Fire Threat[/div]Belkar did not actually burn the town down on his first adventure.[/table]

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Roy

10/06/2011|#808|[div]Roy's Arena Fight With Thog[/div]Roy's strategy to taunt a dungeon-crashing Thog into breaking the pillars.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Haley

04/07/2013|#882|[div]Haley's Leadership[/div]A greedy self-centered rogue becomes leader. Belkar and Haley are the only one's who questioned her leadership skills during the Azure City Resistance.
    05/29/2011|#793|[div]Haley's Boots of Speed[/div]Yes, she did get them dyed to match her brown/tan garb.
    01/03/2006|#262|[div]A Piece of Straw[/div]Haley used a piece of straw to get out of the jail cell. Info on Haley's Dexterity, Level, etc.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Durkon

07/28/2013|#906|[div]Durkon Becomes a Vampire[/div]Originally, Durkon was going to become a vampire in the dungeon of Dorukan. This plot element has been developing for some time and even predates Xykon himself.
    06/19/2013|#894|[div]Did Durkon Lie?[/div]No, the Giant forgot that Durkon said he didn't prepare "Detect Magic."
    04/09/2013|#883|[div]Vampire Durkon Can Cast Spells[/div]A cleric doesn't have to worship a deity to cast spells.
    04/08/2013|#882|[div]Class Systems and Careers[/div]Also, FYI, Durkon isn't "white."
    02/26/2013|#872|[div]Durkon and Malack's Breakup[/div]Durkon reacts not only to Malack's vampirism, but to his alliance with the Linear Guild. He knows that Malack does not know Belkar isn't innocent.
    07/27/2011|#798|[div]Durkon is Lawful Good[/div]
    07/02/2010|#732|[div]OOTS Age Range[/div]Intended to be early to mid 20s. Durkon is the "dwarf equivalent" of this age range, in his 50s.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Elan

06/11/2013|#893|[div]The Dream Runes[/div]Elan's victory as character development. Also, Nale was the only LG member affected by the runes.
    11/18/2011|#815|[div]Elan and Nale's Parentage[/div]How did it affect their alignment? Giant can't fully answer because of events yet to be revealed. Elan spared Nale's life because of Elan's understanding of what it means to be good.
    05/13/2010|#723|[div]Elan's Rapiers[/div]He has two. His original, and one from Julio Scoundrel.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Vaarsuvius

06/19/2013|#894|[div]Familicide II[/div]More on how Familicide works.
    06/03/2013|#891|[div]V is a Vegetarian[/div]
    04/09/2013|#882|[div]V's Children[/div]The Giant made them adopted to leave open the possibility that V/Inkyrius are gay or lesbian.
    03/03/2013|#878|[div]Why V Doesn't Have a Staff[/div]There is no narrative purpose for it, and it would just be one more item to keep track of in the art.
    03/07/2012|#843|[div]Familicide[/div]How Familicide works.
    08/17/2011|#801|[div]V is True Neutral[/div]
    05/29/2011|#793|[div]V's Gender History[/div]Why Rich made V's gender ambiguous and what discussions about it were like in the early days. Roy's 'V-man' comment is not necessarily indicative of V's true gender.[/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Belkar

05/25/2013|#890|[div]What Belkar Saw[/div]What Belkar saw while affected by the dream runes.
    04/11/2011|#786|[div]Belkar's Jokes[/div]Belkar making a joke about something does not make it so.
    12/01/2005|#251|[div]Belkar is Chaotic Evil[/div][/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Redcloak

01/23/2012|#830|[div]Redcloak is Evil[/div][/table]

{table=head]{colsp=3}
    Xykon

09/07/2012|#862|[div]How Xykon Broke Out[/div]How Xykon broke out (with some insight into The Giant's writing process). On Xykon and Redcloak's escape from Lirian, see also this post.[/table]

Last edited by Jasdoif; 2013-09-21 at 04:08 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thumbs up Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

Well done Jasdoif!
    But you forgot to put the Spoiler alerts on the characterlist where they belong. You might want to add that :-).

Besides that: i personally would love another section where the commentaries are listed from first comic to last comic. Like that its way easier to read the comic with the authors commentary along. Just a suggestion.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Jasdoif, that looks glorious.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I read through a good portion of the thread, and agree linking to the whole thing would be a bit over the top. Also, not convenient, because one would have to go through a very long thread to find the numerous contributions by the Giant.

Adding particular posts makes sense, and I second Flame of Anor and Reddish Mage on their proposals. In addition, I'd like to nominate this one. It's the strongest of the Giant's statements I've read so far on the question of why he spends so much effort taking a moral stance on OOTS and defending it on the forums (which must be pretty time consuming, by the way, so there's a real cost to him professionally).
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2013-09-21 at 02:11 PM.