New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As is said pretty much every time that comes up, the "close to your god's alignment" thing is a world rule, not a general D&D rule; it doesn't apply in Eberron, for example, so why shouldn't it be an invalid rule in the Stickverse too?
    The one-step rule for clerics is a part of the core rules, included in the Player's Handbook and the SRD. It is possible that the Stickverse ignores that rule just like Eberron, but so far we haven't had any proof of that.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As is said pretty much every time that comes up, the "close to your god's alignment" thing is a world rule, not a general D&D rule; it doesn't apply in Eberron, for example, so why shouldn't it be an invalid rule in the Stickverse too?
    No, it is a general D&D rule:

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm]SRD:Classes:Cleric[/url]
    Alignment

A cleric’s alignment must be within one step of his deity’s (that is, it may be one step away on either the lawful-chaotic axis or the good-evil axis, but not both). A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.
    It is an Eberron setting specific rule that that does not have to be the case. Which is why it is something that has to be specifically called out in the Eberron Campaign Setting rules.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    I recall seeing somewhere that Rich said his for was lawful good, but I'm not sure on that and would have no idea where to begin looking.
    How ironic. I was also going to add in my list:

3) Rich has said that Thor is Lawful Good, hasn't he?

But I deleted it because I didn't want to reopen that can of worms.

As far as I know, Rich has never addressed the exact alignment status of Thor on this board. Not once. Never ever ever. No, not even then.

What I suspect happened was a giant (no pun intended) game of telephone where people mangled "whether the alignment printed in the D&D book for Thor was 100% appropriate" into "Thor is Lawful Good". Or it might have been that someone once said that "Oh, I bet that Thor is Lawful Good" and a few months down the road a poster misremembered who said it and then claimed it might have been Rich who said it and that was then mangled into Rich definitely said it.

I do know is that posters have authoritatively claimed in the past that Rich has said it, but when asked to provide proof, they couldn't. Some of them would point back to the post I linked to as half-remembered proof. But, again, all that says is that Thor isn't exactly the same as the one in the Deities and Demigods sourcebook. Others would just shrug their shoulders and say, "Well I saw other posters say it." Which is certainly true. But not very helpful.

Now it is certainly possible that Rich has indeed addressed the alignment status of Thor, and I've never seen it. But I did a pretty exhaustive Google Search and Wayback Machine search and couldn't find anything. And, besides, without wanting to turn this into a debate on the subject (this isn't the thread for the subject and we've had plenty of them anyways) does Thor really look like a candidate for Lawfulness?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2011-11-16 at 03:15 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The one-step rule for clerics is a part of the core rules, included in the Player's Handbook and the SRD. It is possible that the Stickverse ignores that rule just like Eberron, but so far we haven't had any proof of that.
    It's a little more complicated than that... The Player's Handbook assumes that every cleric worships one god.

But the Southern Gods in OOTS, as we've seen, are worshipped collectively as a pantheon. Miko (and others) call on "the Twelve Gods", even though (we strongly suspect) some of those gods are actively evil.

So that's at least one respect in which religion in OOTS seems to differ from Core.

But this isn't really the thread to discuss this, anyway. The Giant hasn't addressed the subject (as far as anyone can find), so it's moot.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    How ironic. I was also going to add in my list:

3) Rich has said that Thor is Lawful Good, hasn't he?

But I deleted it because I didn't want to reopen that can of worms.

As far as I know, Rich has never addressed the exact alignment status of Thor on this board. Not once. Never ever ever. No, not even then.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen the post, but I don't really feel like digging through Rich's post archive looking for it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen the post, but I don't really feel like digging through Rich's post archive looking for it.
    I'm 98% sure it isn't there. I spent far too much time a couple of years back when this issue came up once before.

Actually looking for talk about Thor being Lawful is what led me, in a round about way, to the Wayback Machine link I have above.

Now if anyone can find a post where Rich said that Thor was Lawful, I will A) Be grateful that the issue has been laid to rest once and for all. And B) Most certainly (and gladly) eat my humble pie on the issue.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I added the link to the Wayback Machine Thor comment to the story development section. Thanks for the suggestion.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Colossus in the Playground

The Wayback Machine doesn't work properly for me for some reason.

How about this post by The Giant, on the role of fathers in the OOTS storyline?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=36
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Wayback Machine doesn't work properly for me for some reason.
    As I said, the Wayback Machine can be screwy. The above link eventually will load up a page if you wait about a minute or so.

This link might work better. The page that gets loaded up isn't as pretty looking as the first link I gave, though.

How about this post by The Giant, on the role of fathers in the OOTS storyline?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=36
    There's also a good post from Rich about Miko's personality a couple posts later on in that same thread.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2011-11-18 at 04:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I came here to suggest the very same.

I now feel kind of awkward without anything to contribute.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

11. - Top - End - #131

Important giant comment on page two of the 816 thread: The daughter of Orrin is not Haley.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tass View Post
    Important giant comment on page two of the 816 thread: The daughter of Orrin is not Haley.
    Yes that's one of the most clear, straightforward statements I've ever seen. Definitely should be noted.
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

13. - Top - End - #133

And the link to said comment, for convenience.

Also, I should mention, since it's my first time posting in this thread - this is a fantastic resource. Congratulations on putting this together, Phantasm.
    Last edited by Timeless Error; 2011-11-21 at 03:22 PM.
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

The following quotes added to the index:

Current Politics: There are no references to current politics in the strip beyond those which readers invent themselves.

Parental Problems: Background info on the parents of various characters like Elan and Haley, including character / plot development history.

Miko and Shojo: Shojo was the "tape" that held Miko's character together for so long. He was responsible for much in Miko that was good / positive.

Orrin Draketooth's Daughter: She's not Haley.

Characters and Merchandise: The presence, absence, position, or style of any character on any piece of merchandise has no bearing on any future (or past) plot points.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

15. - Top - End - #135

This one may be noteworthy as well (Elan/Nale/Tarquin/Mother upbringing and being evil/good.)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Tarquin's Name: Named after a Roman Emperor, not the Grand Moff.
    That's incorrect. As Rich says in the post, Tarquin was a king of Rome, not an emperor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

This one may be noteworthy as well (Elan/Nale/Tarquin/Mother upbringing and being evil/good.)
    Added to the alignment section. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    That's incorrect. As Rich says in the post, Tarquin was a king of Rome, not an emperor.
    You are right. Correction made accordingly.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

New update including the Giant's two comments in the minor plot holes, contradictions... thread.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

New Update:

Black and White Books: They are unlikely to ever be colorized, and were not originally in color. Rich drew them in black and white.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

I was surprised not to see this linked here when checking for it to reference for a recent discussion in the Geekery thread, but since I found it by other means, I figured I should post it here for addition to the first post:

For the "D&D Rules and Explanations" section: None-core Spells and Mass Death Ward - The Giant normally treats core spells as common knowledge and everything else as obscure (requiring research) or non-existant, because he cannot assume that his readers are familiar every spell in the game, but can assume most are familiar with the PHB. Also, he was unaware that Mass Death Ward was an actual spell, and his own version in the comic is 7th-level, not 8th-level as the actual spell is.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Added and updated!

By the way, everyone, starting sometime in the next few days I will be absent from the forum for about a month. There is a small chance I'll be able to check back and update the thread during that time, but most likely I will be unable to. It isn't a big deal and I am coming back, I just don't want anyone to panic and think I've abandoned the thread. Keep making suggestions as usual and I will update it when I get back.

Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Added and updated!
    Slight correction: you listed that as "Tsukiko's Mass Death Ward," but it was Durkon's spell, not Tsukiko's.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Slight correction: you listed that as "Tsukiko's Mass Death Ward," but it was Durkon's spell, not Tsukiko's.

Zevox
    *facepalm* Yup, you are right. Fixed now.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thanks for this great resource, Phantom. This should help to repress excessive wild mass guessing in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

The underwater goblins in #823 are koalinths

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=33
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Giant on: Being an Internet Celebrity.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post12466248
    Last edited by Nevereatcars; 2012-01-02 at 10:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodan View Post
    I must be the least observant person on the planet.

I JUST noticed, after reading the comic since 2007ish, THAT V HAS BEEN WEARING A CLOAK SINCE COMIC 1

27. - Top - End - #147

Several things in this post. There's a bit of clarification on how Cloister works, and (more importantly, to my mind) a note about narrative purpose. Don't say there's no possible narrative purpose for something.
    Last edited by Whiffet; 2012-01-11 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-13 at 01:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Wasn't there a post from a few months ago where Rich said people predicting what's going to happen doesn't really bother him anymore?

I don't expect/want any of these in the OP, but I'm just gonna leave them here 'cause why not:

Edited Panel: Just the bowdlerized version of the panel from Dragon #358.
    More Prequels: The chances of additional prequels are very high. Also, the number of prequels planned is pretty much fixed, they just can't be published until certain facts have been revealed in-comic. The Giant is not going to invent prequels for minor characters just to pad out the story.
    Book Colours: There are many shades of green.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Colossus in the Playground

Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele