New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

On Fantasy, clichés, TVTropes and Science Fiction.

Oh, and some D&D there too. Sorry I couldn't break it down further.

Spoiler
    Show

D - There's a question though, can Fantasy be taken seriously anymore?
    R - You mean in the sense that a lot of it is recycled? A lot of it is the same sort of material all over again? I think so. I think there's definitely something to say with fantasy still. Order of the Stick is in many ways sort of a critique I guess, a spoof of a lot of fantasy cliches, but once you see the cliches, you dodge them. I mean, there's plenty of fantasy writers who don't do the same old "warriors on a quest" thing, which I'm doing but by way of sort of turning it on it's head. I think there's plenty of room in fantasy for unique stories. I think the number one thing people can do to make their fantasy something new and interesting is to not marry it to the same old medieval sort of time period for no apparent reason. I mean, if magic exists in a world, why can't it exist in a different historycal setting. I think there's still plenty to say, and I think there's still plenty for me to make fun of, so, you know, hopefully that will keep going on both sides.
    D - Question: We have talked about TVTropes, even mentioned the name (...)
    R - (Laughs, interrupts) Sorry, what was the question?
    D - The thing is, they have sort of these shorthands, like he's the Chosen One, he'll save us from the Dragon or the Evil Wizard.
    R - Yeah, like the next thing that happens would have to be the thing that happens 'cause this thing happened because the trope said so.
    D - Yes. I mean, do you think it's possible just to divorce completely, to walk away and do something else?
    R - It's hard. There was a point in time a few years back when I felt like every time I put out a strip the number one response to it was "Oh, he's just doing this trope", "he's just doing that trope", you know, and put a link to it, "see, he's just not original at all". And I don't know whether that just became less popular as a way of sort of pidgeonholing things, or whether I've actually broken enough of them now that nobody assumes they know what's gonna happen next. But one way or another that doesn't seem to happen as much anymore. People try to sort of guess what I'm gonna do, and I hopefully kick it in the shins and run away laughing. But I think there's a danger of over simplification of literature, of becoming so wrapped up in these compartments that put every element of the story that you sort of miss the story. It's sort of like a lazy criticism. Criticism in the classic sense of actually doing a critical piece, not in a complaining wait. It let's you churn out an analysis of a work without putting much tought into it. I think it's fun to point to the website and see the diferent ways different works do the same sort of cliches, not in a bad sense, but I do think there's a danger in taking them too seriously as the 'be all, end all' of literary criticism.
    D - Yes, indeed. I have read a lot of fantasy, and it's always like "here's the Chosen One, here's the local , here's the obviously evil sorcerer who betrays everyone"
    R - Yeah, exactly. I think fantasy is more prone to that than almost any other genre. And that's partly because there have been a few titans of the genre who sort of formed everything that was to come after. And also honestly because of Dungeons and Dragons. I think people playing D&D has reinforced certain stereotypes in their mind (mumbles) RPGs that follow the same tropes and all of these sort of things, has reinforced this sort of monolithic fantasy from which few authors deviate and well so, but there's a lot of the same old same old out there too. So I think fantasy gets probably a lot more of those, those tropes listed, than almost any other genre. You know, Science Fiction, I'm a huge SF fan, SF is, every story you read is esentially a completely different setting, I'm sure, Space Opera stuff tends to be a lot of the same, whatever, but you can just go off and do something wildly different and still be Science Fiction, and I think less people do that with Fantasy these days.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

2. - Top - End - #242

One of the Kickstarter threads reminded me of this: Rich doesn't read Pratchett.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

3. - Top - End - #243
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    On the OotS Roleplaying setting, and why it doesn't exist

I didn't know whether I would ever really have the direct audience that I thought it should so I think I just sort of let it life out after that.
    Just a minor nitpick, but I think what he said at the bolded text was "lie fallow" (with definition #2 being the relevant one.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    One of the Kickstarter threads reminded me of this: Rich doesn't read Pratchett.
    Hmm, I'm hesitant to add this quote as it doesn't seem to pertain to the actual comic, just loosely to an image graphic in the ookoodook store.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #245

Just popping in to say that I've corrected the first four posts I've made regarding the interview, thanks to the comments by theangelJean.

Also, my earphones have finally died on me, so I won't be able to transcribe from work anymore, which will slow me down quite a bit.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, my earphones have finally died on me, so I won't be able to transcribe from work anymore, which will slow me down quite a bit.
    No worries, take your time. If you need anyone else to help transcribe or take over just say so.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    No worries, take your time. If you need anyone else to help transcribe or take over just say so.
    I'd say if anyone wants to give a hand, go ahead. If not, I'll finish up eventually.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say if anyone wants to give a hand, go ahead. If not, I'll finish up eventually.
    I've got a busy week ahead, but I might be able to give some of it a shot next week.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Halfling in the Playground

Hmm, I'm hesitant to add this quote as it doesn't seem to pertain to the actual comic, just loosely to an image graphic in the ookoodook store.
    Au contraire, the fact Giant doesn't read Pratchett means that people like me who thought that the Redcloak arc was influenced by Unseen Academicals and Snuff (which look at how traditionally 'evil creatures' Orcs and Goblins are victims of circumstance and should be treated with respect and humanity) are put back in our box.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Username_too_lo View Post
    Au contraire, the fact Giant doesn't read Pratchett means that people like me who thought that the Redcloak arc was influenced by Unseen Academicals and Snuff (which look at how traditionally 'evil creatures' Orcs and Goblins are victims of circumstance and should be treated with respect and humanity) are put back in our box.
    Alright, thanks for explaining. I'll add it under "Reading Too Much Into It."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Username_too_lo View Post
    Given that both books came out years after Redcloak's arc began, I'm not sure how you could have thought this in the first place.

12. - Top - End - #252

On the D&D media scare, Dark Dungeons and Tom Hanks. There's many places in this part of the interview where the audio is off or I just can't figure out what they are saying.

Spoiler
    Show
    D - You mentioned the impact of Dungeons and Dragons.There was a huge backlash against D&D
    R - Yeah, sure.
    D - Do you think we're likely to see something like that again?
    R - I don't think so. I mean, there's certainly always going to be people who are still going to say the same charges against it, you know, that are still gonna say the things that weren't true then, and still aren't. But I don't think it's wildly circulating, I think because it was new then, people didn't know what was going on, didn't know what this thing was, and then they got a lot of misinformation from various sources, and the media picked it up and ran with it as a media scare. And now it's old news. It's been around for thirty and some odd years, you don't get articles in the media about Dungeons and Dragons making people sacrifice goats [interference] "Dungeons and Dragons is coming out with a new edition, because D&D owner Hasbro has released this information in this press conference, blah blah blah.". So I think that's not gonna resurface. I mean just the fact that it's owned by Hasbro now gives it a legitimacy that I think it probably didn't have back in the day, when it was owned by a bunch of guys in Wisconsin [interference] gives it a "Oh, obviously it has to be OK, it is owned by the company that does Mr Potato Head." And I don't think it's in Hasbro's interest to let those kind of stories exist. When you're a big corporation, you kinda get that power in the sense that if they're going to do a story about Dungeons andd Dragons they're going to immediately walk up to your Hasbro or WotC and ask for a quote, and then their sort of media team will take care of it from there. But I think the days of mass hysteria scare about D&D are behind us at this point.
    J - I think there are bigger scapegoats now as well.
    R - Yeah, absolutely, there's the Internet and all of it's glory. Playing D&D seems downright quaint now, you can find people who are in their 50s who've been playing D&D for 30 years, it's not.. you know, in detriment of the hobby, but it's not something that all teenagers are flocking to these days. When you're 13 you're like "Hey, let's go play D&D tonight!" You have to get those kids into the hobby in a way that isn't really happening right now. I'd say as long as it's not threatening tomorrows children I htink it'll stay on the right side of the public opinion.
    D - Speaking of threatening children, what we do on the show... are you familiar with the Jack Chick comic Dark Dungeons?
    R - I am, vaguely, passingly familiar, as much as any long time D&D player could be.
    D - We might have to do a show on Jack Chick.
    R - I like to think of my comic as a sort of tribute to the great comic that had come before. Could I have done a Dungeons and Dragons themed comic if not, like I said, if not, if the giants of the genre had not put forth that independent comic creation of lore?
    J - Dark Dungeons was a very interesting book. I would say it's not even close to the crazyest thing Jack Chick has ever done.
    R - Yeah, not top ten really.
    D - No. But the thing I love about his...
    R - (uninteligible, gets cut by connection) it wasn't as crazy, he's gone really off the (?) then, then it probably wouldn't have been taken seriously until this day.
    D - Well, according to Dark Dungeons, apparently the sourcebook is an actual spell book, from wich you can actually, literally just call up the devil and say "hey".
    R - Spells, yeah, exactly. I've certainly heard that. All I can say is I think the copies I've been using must be defective in some way, either there's a misprint or a page missing because I've been playing the game since I was 11 or 12 and I've yet to actually cast a magic spell, deeply dissapointed at that.
    D - How about Maces and Monsters?
    R - Oh yeah. Tom Hanks has a lot to answer for.
    D - Yes he does.
    R - (uninteligible)
    J - He unleashed Forrest Gump upon the world, he has to pay for that. Now we get into Dave's axe grind.
    R - Personal media vendetta should actually be the title of this podcast.
    D - He knows what he did.
    J - Where gonna try to get him on the show for a reconciliation. They're gonna hug each other on the air.
    R - Or just volleyball with him.
    Last edited by Xapi; 2012-03-01 at 10:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You know, seeing as I did the interview, I figure I should help out here a little, so here are a couple of things I caught in this one.

On the D&D media scare, Dark Dungeons and Tom Hanks. There's many places in this part of the interview where the audio is off or I just can't figure out what they are saying.

Spoiler
    Show

"I think there are bigger scapegoats now as well."

This line was said by me (Jesse), not Dave

D - We might have to (uninteligible)

Dave was saying, "do a show on Jack Chick" here

R - I like to think of my comic as a sort of tribute to the great comic that had come before. Could I have done a Dungeons and Dragons themed comic if not, like I said, if not, if the giants of the genre had not put forth that independent comic creation of lore?
    D - Dark Dungeons was a very interesting book.

"I would say it's not even close to the craziest thing Jack Chick has ever done."

Above in quotes was also said by me.

D - He unleashed Forrest Gump upon the world, he has to pay for that.

"Now we get into Dave's axes to grind"

Above in quotes was said by me.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by jidasfire; 2012-03-01 at 10:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    You know, seeing as I did the interview, I figure I should help out here a little, so here are a couple of things I caught in this one.

Hope that helps!
    Edited this in.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Out of curiosity, how close are you to the end of the interview? We've got quite a bit of it so far.

16. - Top - End - #256

Out of curiosity, how close are you to the end of the interview? We've got quite a bit of it so far.
    I'm about two thirds in, timewise.

17. - Top - End - #257

On The Giant's favourite characters to write, and some commentary on every character of the Order. Even Durkon, but that's just to say there's not much to say :P

Spoiler
    Show
    J - Back into the Order of the Stick a little bit as far as the characters, to talk a little about the characters. I have my theories on this, but I'm wondering if you have a personal favourite character as far as writing.
    R - It depends on whether you mean writing the jokes or writing the personality and internal conflicts. Jokes is easy, Belkar with Elan a close second. You've got your sort of... either your violence jokes or your bad person gets their comeuppance jokes with Belkar, and then Elan has your dumb jokes, has your sillyness, has your kinda child like comedy, and I like writing both of those. As far as writing a personal sort of inner thoughts on your life whatever things (sic) I really like writing Haley a lot. She's got issues, I think she's probably got the most legitimate issues of the people in the Order, and that makes her interesting to write. It's interesting how she's going to react, based on her upbringing and sort of what she's been through in her life to this situation or that situation. I think that makes it more.. to you, Elan's pretty straighforward, you know what he's gonna do. You may not know in the sense that it's something completely random and off the wall and pull out a hand puppet and start worshiping it, but you know he's gonna do something weird and silly and ultimately harmless, because he's a good person, and nothing bad is gonna happen to him as a result. And you know Belkar's gonna do the opposite, he'll take the most awful, irrediming sort of path that he can find and get away with. But you don't know what Haley's gonna do in a situation, she wants to be a good person, but she wasn't raised that way, she was raised to be a thief. And so she sort of has to struggle with being a hero, what comes easily to, well, it comes pretty easily to Roy. He'll snap at people, he'll be sort of verbally abusive, but he's not gonna... he's never attempted to do the wrong thing, really.
    J - There was the one time, but...
    R - Yeah. Exactly, and that was a big point of development for him. But really, since then, that was within the first 150 or 160 strips, so for the mayority of the comic's lifetime he's been pretty clear on what he should be doing.
    J - It seems like Vaarsuvius has become a character with a lot of internal moral conflict recently as well.
    R - That's true, that is correct, and that was a concious sort of effort on my part, because I felt like Vaarsuvius had been underutilized, by the end of the War and XPs book I felt like Vaarsuvius was sort of... "and then we have an elf", wich is a problem I still have with Durkon but I have plans to adress as well. And so I think I crafted almost all of Don't Split the Party around "let's (uninteligible) a better arc"... some of it I had planned already, some of it I already know that when I did the first... Spoiler by the way, if anyone hasn't read this... when I did the first small black dragon, that I was gonna have the older one come back and be a villain in some point that would attack Vaarsuvius for what he or she had done. But the sort of sell your soul angle was a little more recent, and more of an attempt to really get at what Vaarsuvius issues were in life. So that sort of dovetailed nicely into one story that I'm really happy with.

I have 19 minutes to go of a 59 minutes interview.

18. - Top - End - #258

Thank you so much for doing this, Xapi.

(I think the unintelligible word in your latest is "create".)

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

I find Belkar and Elan's jokes to be probably the funniest (as well as Roy's sarcastic remarks) so that subsection of the interview makes a lot of sense.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Colossus in the Playground

The Giant on "killing evil creatures" and "theft".

Killing evil creatures isn't evil. Theft isn't evil, just selfish

Note that these are very early strips- and his views may have been modified slightly since then.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

Note that these are very early strips- and his views may have been modified slightly since then.
    The context of that quote also probably matters somewhat (it was about Roy coup de gracing some goblins in an early strip).
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-03-05 at 03:58 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

22. - Top - End - #262
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually it wasn't mentioned at the time. Check the thread- it seemed more like the main topic was "why are they all affected by Unholy Blight"?

However it's later been quoted as a justification for "why Roy killing those particular goblins wasn't evil".
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2012-03-05 at 05:36 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #263

On the variety of OotS villains, and on the D&D alignment system.

Spoiler
    Show

J - That brings, the whole idea of the Black Dragon and the demons, brings up another thing which is the idea that you seem to play a lot with the idea of Evil, like there's a huge variety of villanous characters with motivations all across the spectrum from, you know, and in some ways it seems like the comic tries to deconstructs that, in other ways it plays it straight
    R - More like, I think both are valid, you know what I mean?, both are ways of looking at the problem, and I think again getting back to the history fantasy literature, I think there are an awful lot of cardboard cutout tackling (?) villany out there, and that's a choice to make when you're writing your story, and I sort of want to have it both ways, I want to be able to have villany villains, and at the same time, not writing a character that doesn't make sense, not writing a character that doesn't have a motivation to what they're doing. And I think there's a lot of debate among my fans, because they're not necesarily used to seeing that, from fantasy villains, specially when it comes to Black Dragons, undead sorcerers and Goblins who are out to destroy the Gods. You expect those sort of characters to be very straightforward, and I try to make it a little more complex than that, which, I was thinking, readers, in this (?) open up alternate interpretations, people would swear that 'cause Redcloak thinks what he's doing is the best for the Goblin people, that Redcloak is in fact the good guy, that he is the hero of the story. And that's... an interesting viewpoint. And I'm glad that I provoked that, I'm glad that I wrote a character that is layered enough that some people would say he's absolutely in the right, but yeah, I really like turning it upside down and not assuming that because it's a dragon it has no emotions. I think D&D appeals to people who are much more Math & Science oriented, that... I can sort of surprise them more by delving into the emotional side of things, and they don't see that coming, if they're D&D fans. And people who are generally fiction fans just enjoy it on it's own merits.

J - So, it comes out to not being as simple as the nine simple moral codes that D&D ascribes to.

R - Yeah, and I think one of the themes of Order of the Stick is there's this guide alignment system in D&D where it places every single person in one of these nine moral codes, and for the entire history of the game, that I've played it, people have been complaining that that's over simplystic. "Oh, it's more complicated than that", and it absolutely is more complicated than that, but they're also doing it wrong. They think because they have this alignment they have to act this way, this one specific given way, and I think each one of those categories is so wide open to interpretation, and that was a lot of what Miko Misayaki was about, was that she's lawful good, but she's a complete bitch, you wouldn't want to spend time with her at all. And I think that was sort of the flip side of the simpathetic villain: the unsimpathetic hero. Or at least good guy. So yeah, I definitely like to subvert expectations in that specific way, because I think the alignment system gets a bad rap from people who aren't trying to make it work, and say "that's overly simplistic".

14:30 left.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

Yeah, I think that's a good example of how back then, Rich didn't know people would analyze everything he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffet View Post
    Yeah, I think that's a good example of how back then, Rich didn't know people would analyze everything he said.
    I agree. I'm not sure the quote would be helpful in the index... if anything it might cause confusion in comparison with recent discussions.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #267

Planetar

Here is another comment.

28. - Top - End - #268

Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Updated with the latest 3 suggestions.

30. - Top - End - #270

A suggestion to improve the list on the first page: Could you please include the date of the Giant's post in the overview?
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!