Results 1 to 2 of 2
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
- In my Greedy lair
The Sprite-blood elf (STRAWBERRY)
I've had this idea since one of my players asked me what happens when an elven wizard falls in love with a pixie. Please tell me what you think!
Elven mages that have lived for a long time with the Fey often fall in love with pixies and the like, and may shape their own size temporarily to mate. Their offspring, born usually by female elves, inherit a mixture of the charm and grace from their respective parents.
Most spritebloods grow up in the comfort and peace of nature, accompanied by the charm and magical dedication of their fey and elven parents. They inherit a love for nature that is rather protective and proactive, but usually they aren't as wrapped up with personal conflicts and the like that many other humanoids pursue or perpetuate. Sprite-bloods favor creativity and self-expression and frequently use magic to feature their own personal tastes. They have a healthy appreciation for pranks, and they place as much value on independence as they put on mutual help and support.
These elves are about half as tall as the standard high elf, and proportionally smaller. They stand from 2 feet to 2'6" and feature skin from pale, pasty white to a deep tan. Their eyes and hair come in almost any pretty color combination imaginable, probably because of all the complex magics involved in their conception.
Spritebloods get along wonderfully with most fey, but when they leave fey lands, it is most commonly to a gnome settlement, not one inhabited with other elves. Spritebloods see eye-to-eye with gnomes and their pranks to lighten moods and their love for nature and its myriad creatures. Elves are wonderful to interact with atfully, but as a society their private attitude towards other races can seem downright offensive--except towards dwarves, which really are too regimented and oppressive with their rules and strict lives. Humans can be fun and amusing, but spritebloods are also told stories of how terribly greedy and corrupt they can be such that most spriteblood elves will refuse to enter a human city except under the most dire of circumstances.
Spriteblood elves tend strongly towards neutrality and slightly more to good than to evil. Spritebloods view strict lawful adherence as dangerous and horrifying as unchecked greed and great abandonment of any personal constraints. They would much rather have good rapport, Nevertheless, they are not above murder, deception, and betrayal, especially if these actions lead to the death of downfall of those who threaten the delicate balance of nature.
Spriteblood Elves tend to live with and their sprite parents, often living their eternal lives with their fey cousins. Few of these Elves live with other elves except as diplomats and representatives of organizations like the Seelie Court between the Fey and other elves. There are many spriteblood elves that also live with gnomes and their kin, providing creativity and creative influence even among the ingenious gnomes. All things considered, spriteblood elves have no true lands of their own, and they are quite content with this.
Obad-Hai has a fantastic demographic of followers in the spritebloods, and yet these fey elves still more frequently pursue arcane manipulations of magic than the divine pursuits of druids. As thus, they somehow find a way to merge the natural goals of Obad-Hai with their more personal arcane ideas and beliefs.
Spritebloods speak the magic-laden and beautiful language of they fey, and are taught common as a second language out of courtesy more than anything else. Those with exceptional propensity for learning often pick up gnome, elven, or maybe even halfling.
I'd like some help here! I have yet to find any supplement that can provide me with names closer to Sprites, pixies and other like fey. My idea here is to mix the names with elven ones.
Sprite-blood elves would never have existed had it not been for adventurous sprites or elves (most frequently the latter), and thus is no surprise that spriteblood elves would ever have a desire to go adventuring. Most that adventure for a time decide to retire into political careers or pursue their own arcane theses with vigor.
- +2 Dex, -2 Con, -4 Str, +2 Charisma : Sprite-bloods are agile of tongue and body, but physically they are frail and remarkably weak.
- Humanoid (Elf, Fey): Sprite-blood elves are affected by spells and abilities that would affect either Elves or fey creatures. For example, they are affected both by Charm Person and by Charm Monster. For the purposes of abilities like a Ranger's Favored Enemy class feature, they would be counted as either Elf or Fey, whichever grants the ranger greater benefit.
- Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus to attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 of those of Medium creatures.
- A sprite-blood's base land speed is 30 feet. It has wings, and can use them to glide 20 feet per 5 feet fallen, but it cannot use them to fly until it has 6 hit dice or more, whereupon it gains a flight speed equal to its base movement speed with maneuverability (average). At 15 and more hit dice, the spriteblood's flight speed becomes 60 ft, maneuverability (good). Hit Dice can be gained through class levels. NB: Speeds and gliding are contingent upon a light load. See Carrying Capacity, pg 161 of the PHB and Tactical movement on pg 20 of the DMG.
- Feyelf blood: Although a spriteblood could be considered an elf, they cannot die due to old age, although they progress physically and mentally at about the rate elves do.
- +2 to Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities. Against spells and abilities with the mind-affecting descriptor, this increases by another +1. Thanks to their dual heritage, sprite-blood elves are particularly resistant to spells or abilities that would alter of affect the mind.
- Low-lit vision: sprite-bloods can see twice as far as humans in the dark.
- Sprite-bloods have a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
- Automatic Languages: Sylvan, Common. Bonus Languages: Gnome, Elven, Halfling.
- Favored class: Sorcerer
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
- In my Greedy lair
Re: The Sprite-blood elf (STRAWBERRY)
I also want to know if the +2 vs. Will (and additional +1 vs. mind-affecting effects) is balanced by the fact that they are affected by both monster spells and humanoid spells It might be too powerful, seeing as Iron Will is actually less powerful. Perhaps +1 to all will saves and an additional +1 against mind-affecting effects?