New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Because SCIENCE!!! (3.5 Monster, PEACH)

Now listen closely. I'll explain this spectacular operation only once.

Human Centipede

Spoiler
    Show

Large Aberration (Augmented Human)
    Hit Dice: 12d8+24 (78 HP)
    Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares); Climb 30 ft.
    Initiative: +5
    Armor Class: 17; touch 14; flat-footed 12 (+3 Dex, +5 natural, -1 size)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+17
    Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d8+4) or acidic waste +11 ranged (2d4+2 acid) or 2 slams +10 melee (1d4+4)
    Full-Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d8+4) and 2 slams +8 melee (1d4+4)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Acidic waste, constrict 1d6+4, creeping flesh, devour, improved grab
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., disturbing presence, moment of humanity
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 18 , Dex 16 , Con 14 , Int 8, Wis 10 , Cha 8
    Skills: Balance +7, Hide +11, Intimidate +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +11, Search +4, Spot +5
    Feats: Ability Focus (Disturbing Presence), Alertness, Improved Initiative, Multi-Attack, Stealthy
    Environment: Any underground
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
    Advancement: 13-15 HD (Large); 16-30 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: -

Something impossible and wrong drops down from the ceiling. You hear it slither onto the floor, a pillar of waxy, human bodies. They should end, their arms should not twist in such profane angles, there should be more heads; but there is not. There is only a single, horrible creature that very shape mocks humanity. Its one face looks up to you with doleful eyes and distended jaws, and you hear it wheeze in hunger.

There is no reason for some things in this world to exist. They are created and exist solely as monuments to their creators, testimony to a past genius. But where rational men and women use stone and wood and ink, the alchemist Dr. Heiter chose to leave his legacy in flesh. Luring three unsuspecting adventurers to his laboratory, his traps and poisons soon sedated the trio. Heiter’s works was simple; the fusion of three human beings into one singular creature.

Why did he do this? What was the point of this dark work? The point was that somehow, somewhere, Heiter knew that someone dared to call his work impossible, dared to challenge the non-sensical with cold, focused efficiency. And that simply would not stand. When the monstrous experiment was complete, Heiter looked over his creation with a satisfied mind. Even as the beast broke free of its constraints, its three minds still separate and enraged, Heiter smiled. The mad doctor submitted to his fate, letting the deformed aberration consume him; his work was done.

Now the freak experiment roams the world, crawling through the hidden and dark places underneath the earth. Its three minds slipped into one, and finally into madness. The human centipede runs almost purely on animalistic instinct, seeking nothing but to consume. In brief lapses of consciousness, the monster realizes the profanity of its existence and goes into fits of rage, rampaging through civilized areas until its mind leaves it once more. Those who have survived such attacks are all horrified and disgusted by the creature, but coincide on one point; for reports of the human centipede keep exaggerating size, as if the beast grows larger with every victim it consumes.

Combat
    The human centipede prefers to stalk its victims, remaining out of sight until it ambushes its prey. After the initial attack, the human centipede is prone to staying out of reach, sticking to any walls and ceilings. The human centipede is quite liberal with its acidic waste, spraying opponents with the bile regardless of tactical value. After combat, the human centipede lurks around the attack site, feasting on the corpses of its fallen enemies.

Acidic Waste (Ex): Five times per day as a standard action, the human centipede is capable of divulging torrents of foul, toxic matter from deep within its bowels. This bile projects as a 20 ft. cone and deals 2d4+2 acid damage. Creatures caught within the cone can attempt a DC 18 Reflex save to take half damage. This save is Constitution based.

In addition, any target hit by the acidic bile must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or be nauseated for the rest of the encounter. The save is Constitution based. A target that succeeds on their fortitude save is immune to nauseation from acidic waste for twenty four hours.

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, the human centipede deals 1d6+4 points of damage.

Creeping Flesh (Su): Before fully assimilating devoured flesh, the human centipede may shed 'larval' masses of skin, ligaments, and bones. These 'larva' are treated statistically as small ligamentals. Each ligamental created by the human centipede subtracts 2 HD from the pool of HD gathered by the devour ability. The human centipede can only create ligamentals from the devour ability HD pool, and not from its own natural HD.

For example, the human centipede has devoured 9 HD of humanoids. It can choose to create 4 ligamentals, which would leave it with 1 HD in its devoured pool. However, the human centipede cannot sacrifice one of its assimilated natural HD to pair it with the remaining devoured HD and create one more ligamental. It will have to devour another HD worth of humanoid flesh to be able to create the ligamental.

Darkvision (Ex): The human centipede can see in total darkness up to 60 ft.

Devour (Su): When the human centipede slays a humanoid opponent, it can feed on their corpse, devouring both the victim's flesh and life force. For every 10 HD or levels the human centipede consumes, it gains one Hit Die. The human centipede can delay this feeding for up to one day per Hit Die it has; after that time, the victim's life force is beyond the effects of devouring. Devouring destroys the victim's body and prevents any form of raising or resurrection that requires part of the corpse. A wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a devoured victim to life, but there is a 50% chance that even such powerful magic will fail.

Disturbing Presence (Su): The very presence of the human centipede is offensive. Those witnessing the wretched monstrosity have trouble facing such a terror. Characters that come within 30 ft. of the human centipede must succeed on a DC 18 Will save or be shaken for the rest of the encounter. Humans are particularly shocked by the human centipede, and take -4 penalty to their saving throws. Characters that succeed on their will save are immune to the human centipede’s disturbing presence for 24 hours.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the human centipede must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Moment of Humanity (Ex): There are brief moments in the human centipede's existence where the insanity that overwhelms the monster's current state yields to its still present human mind(s). These are only temporary however, and more often than not yield to a hideous rage. 1/week, the human centipede becomes listless and self-obsessed for 1d6 hours. This renders the human centipede essentially paralyzed. Any creature that comes within range of the human centipede's senses without first making a Diplomacy check, however, triggers a bloodthirsty rage in the creature. Treat this as the barbarian's rage class feature, treating the human centipede as a 12th level barbarian.

Plot Hooks
    + An apprentice alchemist has discovered Heiter's notes, and intends to replicates the experiment with even more test subjects.
    + A sect of druids believes that they may be able to reverse the human centipede experiment. Capture the creature and bring it back to the druids.
    + The human centipede has reached gigantic proportions; slay the monster before it devours whole towns and cities.

As usual, PEACH relentlessly. Is the picture too NSFW? I thought Asphyxia from Silent Hill worked better than any poster I could find. Happy Halloween, kids!
    Last edited by The Tygre; 2012-01-18 at 10:03 AM. Reason: What the Hell word was I thinking of that I wrote 'disparage'?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Because SCIENCE!! (3.5 Monster)

hmmm, fill in stats to match fluff? a 'consume' ability that says for x number of humanoid HD consumed, it grows by this much.' can be a scaling number.
    \"It Takes a Long time to count to 2 in binary.\"~fourlegged

"There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now."

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    I guess you could adapt Time Lords into D and D. Rainbow Servant of Dr. Who.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Oooh, boy. Wow. That's... just... wrong...

Damn.

Okay, uh, well, yeah... Sheesh...

Anyway, uh, Disturbing Presence should have a range. It should be "Plot Hooks" instead of "Plot Hoks". And, IMO, Acidic Waste (which is really gross, eww) should offer a Reflex save to avoid the cone instead of making it a ranged touch attack, as that does not really jive well with an area effect. Good job on this one; it's very flavorful, it's rather balanced, & it is well-designed.

Lastly, what is wrong with you?!?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

It's from a movie. I wish I didn't know that, but it is from a movie.

And there is a reason Disturbing Presence has no range...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Do... Do I want to ask anything about the process of finding that image?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Zagaroth View Post
    hmmm, fill in stats to match fluff? a 'consume' ability that says for x number of humanoid HD consumed, it grows by this much.' can be a scaling number.
    An interesting idea. I might have to cook something up for it, though I think I'm happy with just the good ol' HD advancement representing increase right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Oooh, boy. Wow. That's... just... wrong...

Damn.

Okay, uh, well, yeah... Sheesh...
    I guess I should put my 'A Serbian Film d20' on hold then...

Anyway, uh, Disturbing Presence should have a range. It should be "Plot Hooks" instead of "Plot Hoks". And, IMO, Acidic Waste (which is really gross, eww) should offer a Reflex save to avoid the cone instead of making it a ranged touch attack, as that does not really jive well with an area effect. Good job on this one; it's very flavorful, it's rather balanced, & it is well-designed.
    Changes made, and thank you.

Lastly, what is wrong with you?!?
    Science. Delicious science is what is wrong with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    It's from a movie. I wish I didn't know that, but it is from a movie.
    And now you will never un-know that. My dark work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    And there is a reason Disturbing Presence has no range...
    And that reason is yet more science. And by 'science', I of course mean that I forgot which is why I needed this beastie PEACH'd by an expert team of homebrewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Do... Do I want to ask anything about the process of finding that image?
    Bogleech, yo. Specifically, the blog's countdown of the top 10 Silent Hill monsters. No, I will never stop shilling this site.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Any plans to make a bigger one? Like, say, a Full Sequence version?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

What hath been seen cannot be unseen. My poor virgin eyes.

Seriously though. Uh... good job. I think. >.<
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

And how were you planning to do Serbian Film d20? Modify the Lost d20 game [all random encounter tables...all of it...context is for the audience] with more macabre versions of the nigh contextless wierdness and incude a film snob to overanalyse everything with each book?

Seriously though, messed up critter...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Subtype should probably be Augmented Human rather than just Human.

You forgot the size modifier to attack. Furthermore, a secondary attack is always secondary even when used as a primary attack , so slam takes the -2 penalty in the standard attack line.

As a Large creature space/reach should be 10 ft./5 ft. However, the picture seems to indicate it is actually a Huge creature (guessing about 18 feet in length if those are average human sizes torsos). Increasing the size affects attack line too. As a long Huge creature (rather than a tall one) it would be 15 ft./10 ft.

[Edit] Hit points should be 78 not 72. 12 x 4.5 = 54 +24 = 78.

[Edit] Acid waste damage is 2d4 acid in stat block but is 1d3+3 in the text. Which is correct?

[Edit] Advancement is off. Creatures usually gain a size when they double their hit points. If you decide to keep it Large, it should be 13-15 Large, 16-30 Huge.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-10-26 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added text
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, the math on the breath weapon save seems to be off. Should be 10 + 12/2 [6] + Dex [3] = 19
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2011-10-26 at 01:09 PM.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Also, the math on the breath weapon save seems to be off. Should be 10 + 12/2 [6] + Dex [3] = 19
    Breath weapons and similar figure off Con, not Dex, in which case it should be 18, so the math is still off. On that note, Disturbing Presence DC should be 15.

Also, humans (or whatever other creature is used to create it if you make an elf version) should get a -4 penalty to the Will save for Disturbing Presence.

Perhaps make a version that has an ability to add other people to itself, making itself bigger after a few additions and increasing HD, DCs, etc?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-10-26 at 01:30 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SCIENCE!

On a more serious note, I like this creature, I think I'll be using this in my upcoming E6 campaign
    Majestic avatar by the wonderful yldenfrei
    I have one , which is good, because I like him.
    Won't you join me in Fallen London?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Breath weapons and similar figure off Con, not Dex, in which case it should be 18, so the math is still off. On that note, Disturbing Presence DC should be 15.
    It says in the text that it's based on Dex, so I went with that. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it being based on Dex, ust unusual...perhaps it's particularly quick on the release and a very fine mist so con has less bearing than the critter's accuracy...?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

*Looks at picture*

....Ew.......Disturbing Presence indeed.

Still, good for a horror campaign, so long as your players don't see the picture.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Any plans to make a bigger one? Like, say, a Full Sequence version?
    I've been planning a daikaiju version since the moment it popped into my head.

And how were you planning to do Serbian Film d20? Modify the Lost d20 game [all random encounter tables...all of it...context is for the audience] with more macabre versions of the nigh contextless wierdness and incude a film snob to overanalyse everything with each book?

Seriously though, messed up critter...
    I was thinking more of some kind of misguided yugoloth that runs around with a walking three-legged camera. Together, they hypnotize victims into performing horrible atrocities and then wipe their minds by screaming, "IT'S OKAY! IT WAS FOR ART!"

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Subtype should probably be Augmented Human rather than just Human.

You forgot the size modifier to attack. Furthermore, a secondary attack is always secondary even when used as a primary attack , so slam takes the -2 penalty in the standard attack line.

As a Large creature space/reach should be 10 ft./5 ft. However, the picture seems to indicate it is actually a Huge creature (guessing about 18 feet in length if those are average human sizes torsos). Increasing the size affects attack line too. As a long Huge creature (rather than a tall one) it would be 15 ft./10 ft.

[Edit] Hit points should be 78 not 72. 12 x 4.5 = 54 +24 = 78.

[Edit] Acid waste damage is 2d4 acid in stat block but is 1d3+3 in the text. Which is correct?

[Edit] Advancement is off. Creatures usually gain a size when they double their hit points. If you decide to keep it Large, it should be 13-15 Large, 16-30 Huge.

Debby
    Thanks for the catches Deb. It's always good to know you've got my back.

Yes, I noticed that too. But I couldn't remember if saves were calculated as 10+1/2 HD+score, or just 10+score. Since the real method booted the saves up from the 12 to 18, I immediately assumed that I needed to stay lower. Thanks for clarifying.

Also, humans (or whatever other creature is used to create it if you make an elf version) should get a -4 penalty to the Will save for Disturbing Presence.

Perhaps make a version that has an ability to add other people to itself, making itself bigger after a few additions and increasing HD, DCs, etc?
    Huh. How'd I miss that about breath weapons... And thanks for the suggestion on the human-penalty. It looks like I'll have to work in some kind of consumption ability, but I have no idea how to work out HD taken from victims or how much that goes towards size. Eh, I'll figure something out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps it could just gain one temperary hp per HD of an absorbed victim and when the temp hp exceed it's current HD, it gains a new one and loses all temp hp?

I'd be tempted to give it temporary levels [+1 attack, +1 defence, +1 damage, +1 saves, +5 hp] for absorbing victims and then kind of let it "digest" them to gain more real HD

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps it could just gain one temperary hp per HD of an absorbed victim and when the temp hp exceed it's current HD, it gains a new one and loses all temp hp?
    Problem with this approach is that if it takes damage, it loses the temporary hp. Permanently.

"Positive levels" could work, perhaps with a Will save the following day that, if it succeeds, they gain 1 HD? (Either a save per positive level, or they gain a bonus equal to the amount of positive levels. In the first case they can gain as many HD as positive levels from victims eaten, in the latter only 1 per day tops.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Problem with this approach is that if it takes damage, it loses the temporary hp. Permanently.
    That was actually intentional. I thought it might be interesting to have the not-completely-assimilated parts be easy to tear off before they meld fully.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Because SCIENCE!!! (3.5 Monster)

If Vorpal Tribble was not banned he'd probably tip his hat to you. Also, may i suggest a mechanical standpoint for the bouts of concsiousness and rage, maybe a way to reason with it during those times if you can calm it down.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    If Vorpal Tribble was not banned he'd probably tip his hat to you. Also, may i suggest a mechanical standpoint for the bouts of concsiousness and rage, maybe a way to reason with it during those times if you can calm it down.
    Wait, he's banned? Why?

Anyways....

That was actually intentional. I thought it might be interesting to have the not-completely-assimilated parts be easy to tear off before they meld fully.
    On that note, it'd be cool if it could separate into its component parts, but still be under the control of whatever closest resembles its mind.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh. How'd I miss that about breath weapons... And thanks for the suggestion on the human-penalty. It looks like I'll have to work in some kind of consumption ability, but I have no idea how to work out HD taken from victims or how much that goes towards size. Eh, I'll figure something out.
    try looking in Monsters of Faerun, the Beast of Xvim template :)

I think other critters have something similar, but not sure which.
    \"It Takes a Long time to count to 2 in binary.\"~fourlegged

"There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now."

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    I guess you could adapt Time Lords into D and D. Rainbow Servant of Dr. Who.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Zagaroth View Post
    try looking in Monsters of Faerun, the Beast of Xvim template :)

I think other critters have something similar, but not sure which.
    *checks*

Well I'll be a son of a gun. Right there. Huh. Good show!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Because SCIENCE!!! (3.5 Monster, PEACH)

Updated with the creeping flesh (thanks for the inspiration, Mullet and Pyro!) and moment of humanity features. Now all that needs to be done is the full sequence version!

Yes, soon my pet. Soon I will feed you the world.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Wait, he's banned? Why?
    Board rules prevent discussion on such topics. He still pops up on the Facebook page though.

I see. In that case, more power to you.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

What a great monster, and great movie but what will you do for a 12 person Human Centipede from the second movie and then you have got the 3rd one being made ...... now try to thing or the sick monster that will come from that one.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

The weirdest boner....
    (lol I see that phrase a lot, thought it was fitting here)

Joking aside I find this monster to be highly fitting to some tabletop settings I was planning for my brothers...
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-11-14 at 08:38 PM.

My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that is one of the more disturbing things I've seen today. I can't really say much about the mechanical side, since Debihuman has already covered that most thoroughly, but perhaps the size advancement should be able to continue indefinetly? From a concept standpoint, it should probably act more intelligently. It posesses nearly human Intelligence, but the way it is described seems more like a animal than anything.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alternate design possibility:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Alternate design possibility
    Dear god, what is that & where is it from?