New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXX: Trixie Treats!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    If? I'm sorry, have you met Socrates?
    Not personally, no.
    But he was truly the Ur-Troll. He once said, "I'm gonna troll them all, even if it kills me". But it didn't killed him, so he screwed up his trial and killed himself. Got to respect that.

I don't particularly believe that there's objective morality either. But just because something doesn't exist doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Sure, there may be no true, universally applicable form of justice. But striving for that ideal has worth. I think that beauty is in the self, and that human beings can manifest beautiful things through the act of striving for beauty.
    But things get rather fuzzy when it comes to the details. What is "better"? Say, you see a homeless. What is the right thing to do? Give him money to improve his current situation, or not give him money, so he'll learn to not rely on others? Or would it be kind to make his situation even worse, because he's probably in this mess because his own past misdeeds, and making him pay for that would make the universe a more just place?
    It'#s like Pascal's wager: sounds right on general, but has no practical use.

Yo. Dexam. Have a bee pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Bees are ftagen vicious, man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

2. - Top - End - #722
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalbob View Post
    Huh-buh-duh-whah? Wow, this might actually become a thing.

If we're doing this, we should do a few things (not necessarily in this order):
    A) Figure out the medium
    B) Find out who wants to participate
    C) Start a thread for it
    D) Pick which episode(s) to do
    E) Start watching lots of MST3K and other riffers, to get a feel for the art.

I really hope this takes off!
    Is there any need for plain ol' writers? I don't have a mic, but I have seen every episode of MST3K proper (and at least one of the "season 0" episodes, though which one I forget).
    LGBTitP

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

OH HEAVENS NO!
    DERPY
    THIS IS NOT WHAT YOUR CUTIE MARK IS SUPPOSED TO BE
    ¿¡¿¡POOOOOR QUUEEEEEEEE!?!?
    I can't unread that
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

4. - Top - End - #724
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    Derpy Hooves knows the gate. Derpy Hooves is the gate. Derpy Hooves is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Derpy Hooves. She knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. She knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread.

(in all seriousness i wasn't thinking of that at all)
    We do not speak of the Gate.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Herpes
    That better be the next thread title.
    I'm totally down for that.

Actually, promising news on that front. Apparently in the new pony blind-bags, Derpy was actually named Derpy Whooves instead of Ditzy Doo. That would show a great deal of respect for the brony community if true. Might just be a rumour though.
    I thought Derpy Whooves was the biological daughter of Derpy and the Doctor from that one episode?

(On a side note I need to purge Ditzy Doo from tvtropes since nopony calls her that it only needs to be mentioned in the character description as a possible name)
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2011-11-02 at 06:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    You know, today I wondered if several ancient philosophers were just early trolls who liked to annoy people.
    That would explain Pliny the Elder.
    Truth resists simplicity.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I thought Derpy Whooves was the biological daughter of Derpy and the Doctor from that one episode?

(On a side note I need to purge Ditzy Doo from tvtropes since nobody calls her that it only needs to be mentioned in the character description as a possible name)
    Define "nobody".

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

OH HEAVENS NO!
    DERPY
    Spoiler
    Show

... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Strange question time: Would you say that Big Macintosh has an accent, beyond his characteristic "Eeyup"? (and what about Applebloom, while we're at it?)

I've listened to his speaking at the beginning of Applebuck Season, and I'd say he doesn't seem to have an accent, and definitely not the same as Applejack. I'd say the same of Applebloom, it seems that it is only Applejack who speaks that way.

And yet I've seen at least Applebloom given the same accent as Applejack in fanfics and comics. I haven't read a lot of BigMac/Applebloom stories, and haven't paid much attention to their speech in the ones I have read, so I'm not sure how widespread this is.

So my question really is, is Big Macintosh usually given an accent in fanfics even though he doesn't have one in the show? And if so, might it seem odd if a fic didn't give him an accent?

I'm currently writing a small Big Mac fic, and right now I've given him no accent. I kinda wondered a bit whether to change that.
    I would say that Applebloom does have a slight accent. It's not super pronounced, but it is there - much like the accents I heard growing up. I think you could probably get away with giving Big Mac one, but since he's pretty taciturn anyway, the most show-accurate way to portray him is to probably minimize his speaking as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    *snip*
    Hey Scion! Good to see you 'round!

Regarding 'moonlit' as a curse, it might work, as long as you made the context clear beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Lyra comic! Grif, I think you'll like this one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I heart this comic so much!

Rarity's mane is $*%@&ing insane. I haven't drawn Rarity very often for just this reason. Which is why I'm so impressed! Atupid orgeous coiffure...
    The dark secret: it's cylinders all the way down!

Seriously, look at the curls, all the big clumps are is just nested cylinders with squished edges. Connect them with swoopy lines and you're mostly there, then tweak until satisfied.

Easier said than done, of course...

OH HEAVENS NO!
    DERPY
    Quote Originally Posted by byaku rai View Post
    ... Oh...
    Spoiler
    Show

... Oh my...

EDIT: Pinkie'd...
    Derpy Hooves knows the gate. Derpy Hooves is the gate. Derpy Hooves is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Derpy Hooves. She knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. She knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread.

I-I think we just discovered a rival for THE PINK ONE...

I'm going to go hide now

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    All right then, is good.

I'm kinda on a low ebb myself. I think I've emerged at last from initial-ponysanity to chronic-ponysanity. It like a case of really awesome Herpes or something, can flare up any time and you never get rid of it entirely.
    This is simultaneously the most apt and most disturbing analogy for the fandom I've ever heard...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Define "nobody".
    Excuse me it has been corrected.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I'm playing in a DND 4th edition campaign and we just hit level 2. The setting is intentionally generic and we're allowed to pick setting specific material from wherever we want. I decided to take a Dragonmark, the Mark of Scribing, as my level 2 feat. I thought that its effects, namely the ritual casting and 4 bonus languages, really fit my character's backstory (he was an arcane academy drop out who wound up as an archivest/secretary to a cabal of diabolists for a little while. Don't judge him, there was girl involved.) Then my brain made a connection and after I saw it I couldn't unsee it. Dragonmark = Cutie mark. Now I can't help but picture him with a tome of eldritch lore tattoo'd on his ass.

Just thought I'd share that cause I thought it was kind of amusing.

12. - Top - End - #732

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    But things get rather fuzzy when it comes to the details. What is "better"? Say, you see a homeless. What is the right thing to do? Give him money to improve his current situation, or not give him money, so he'll learn to not rely on others? Or would it be kind to make his situation even worse, because he's probably in this mess because his own past misdeeds, and making him pay for that would make the universe a more just place?
    It'#s like Pascal's wager: sounds right on general, but has no practical use.
    What, you want objectively correct policy implementation programs? Good luck getting that. That depends on any number of things depending on any number of other things.

No, morality is deciding that the homeless man is your problem and your responsibility. You are then compelled to search for the best way to deal with that problem. You may never find it. You may be wracked with guilt and insecurity forever because of the mistakes you are destined to make. And that's the way it should be.

If you told me you knew the right answer to the problem of the homeless man I wouldn't trust you.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Didn't see this get answered. So, first off, I think duck punch advanced Sidereal Martial Arts should almost surely be involved. Perhaps as a limit break, your character becomes overwhelmed by the realities of the world and turns their own arts on themselves, temporarily permanently transforming into a pony until their mind can be properly restored. This pony would, of course, be very brightly colored and retain many of the advantages of an exalt, but might have difficulty wielding a 30 foot long sword in his/her mouth. Twilight cast turns into unicorns, of course.
    Actually, I'm looking for this one for Leo.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

What, you want objectively correct policy implementation programs? Good luck getting that. That depends on any number of things depending on any number of other things.

No, morality is deciding that the homeless man is your problem and your responsibility. You are then compelled to search for the best way to deal with that problem. You may never find it. You may be wracked with guilt and insecurity forever because of the mistakes you are destined to make. And that's the way it should be.

If you told me you knew the right answer to the problem of the homeless man I wouldn't trust you.
    Silly, the answer involves particle beams, destructive spells and/or explosives!

The answer is always particle beams, destructive spells and/or explosives!

We now have some "offical" names for the background ponies.

Not better, I fear, than the fanon, though I do like the idea suggested of adopting the canon names as second names (or otherwise combining them): "Lyra Heartstrings", in particular, has a very nice ring to it, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-11-02 at 07:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735

Silly, the answer involves particle beams, destructive spells and/or explosives!

The answer is always particle beams, destructive spells and/or explosives!
    As the size of the explosion increases the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approaches zero.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    The only two things I can think of are a link to the IRC post by Titanium, and the link to the crazy twilight emote imgur.

Sorry, am still running around @ work so didn't have time to do a throrough check of previous threads to find them I'll do it this weekend unless someone else beats me to it.
    I hope so, too ^^"

1Okay, not that last one; despite being a common idea in some sci-fi, that is one weapon that always makes me skullpalm and point out that PHYSICS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! It it's one molecule thick, then you can't swing it and even if you could there'd be no mass for it to work. And if it's stabilised/strengthened by a forcefield or something (like energy whips), why not, I dunno, just use the forcefield?
    ...well, depending on setting, asking why they just don't use forcefield might just be like asking 'we send electricity on tiny wires, why we just don't use pure electrons instead'?

Anyway, I saw enough materials cut by thin, wire blades to not laugh the idea, all it needs is just something to weight/secure the end not in handle. Plus, one of the most iconic weapons of all sci-fi has monomolecular edge, so I guess that's enough to make me fine with them
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

This is obviously why she travels with the docor, he must protect the universe from her and her from the universe!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Lyra Heartstrings comic! Grif, I think you'll like this one:
    Spoiler
    Show

I was more of a Twinzam guy myself.
    fixed that for ya

waaaaaahhhhhh!!! that name is gonna take some getting used to

Actually, promising news on that front. Apparently in the new pony blind-bags, Derpy was actually named Derpy Whooves instead of Ditzy Doo. That would show a great deal of respect for the brony community if true. Might just be a rumour though.
    didnt see a derpy in the next set pics that were on ED

We now have some "offical" names for the background ponies.

Not better, I fear, than the fanon, though I do like the idea suggested of adopting the canon names as second names (or otherwise combining them): "Lyra Heartstrings", in particular, has a very nice ring to it, doesn't it?
    i can live with that

Lyra/Bonbon just sounds better than Heartstrings/Bonbon or Heartstrings/????

and...Golden Harvest----"likes sharing treats" what the HAY does carrots cutie mark have to do with sharing treats???
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2011-11-02 at 07:47 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

if Derpy hooves is now Derpy Whooves, and Doctor Whooves becomes canon, the two can be married! :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    if Derpy hooves is now Derpy Whooves, and Doctor Whooves becomes canon, the two can be married! :P
    Well like I said, I don't remember where I heard that, and I probably spelled it wrong anyways. I can't imagine why they would spell it Whooves.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Orc in the Playground

I was just about to suggest that. Besides Golden Harvest.

Pony naming confuses me. How can they have a name that reflects their personality?

For example, How could Fluttershy's parents of possibly known that the then Newborn Fluttershy would grow up to be shy?

And finally, Hasbro got unbelievably lazy with the art there.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Orc in the Playground

Somepony said ponythread was SLOW lately didn't they?! DIDN'T THEY?! ... Ohyeah it was me. *looks nervously at the 10 pages he has to catch up on*

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    chapter 8 of Mare in the Mirror is up. I'm not getting much response to these here it seems, but I'll link it anyway.
    I read all of this series, and the prequel. It was really good, though I did regret reading two horror stories just before bed. O.o;

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    ...now I'm worried things like that have been going on and have somehow passed my notice. If I have to review thirty threads to check, I shall be very cross.
    I think it was a joke, at least I hope so. The closest I have seen is the pic I posted in IRC which got linked here, involving Fluttershy and Discord. So if it is a TOS violation, don't blame the pony who posted it, blame me.

Not pony, but slightly related since there's a pony mod in progress:
    I picked up Sword of the Stars. It looks pretty cool. I'm wondering how I missed it, considering that I love 4x games. Now to find some free time to play it in, hehe.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

PonyFort: IC and OOC threads.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

We now have... uh-oh. Brace yourselves, the fanon is exploding!

*hides under shield*

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post

*hides under shield*
    Nah, it seems the general consensus is to ignore their names and use our own because theirs were stupid. And the artists were lazy.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post

*hides under shield*
    Don't worry my friend! Through the unlimited power of Fannon Continuity, We can continue using our own names for them.

And is Derpy Hooves now an official name? I've grown accustomed to Ditzy Doo.

26. - Top - End - #746

Nah, it seems the general consensus is to ignore their names and use our own because theirs were stupid. And the artists were lazy.
    Lyra will always be a filly Lyra to me. Heartstrings is a pretty last name. Carrot Top stays, Noteworthy gets a pass because I never liked 'Blues', Berry Punch and Berryshine both sound alcoholic enough to be interchangeable for me.

27. - Top - End - #747

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    Pony naming confuses me. How can they have a name that reflects their personality?

For example, How could Fluttershy's parents of possibly known that the then Newborn Fluttershy would grow up to be shy?
    Perhaps Equestria isn't such a great place after all? Maybe they don't name their foals till they are 4 or 5 years of age (or the pony equivalent) because infant mortality rate is so high. Or perhaps the parents give a name, and then force their child to into the personality.

And finally, Hasbro got unbelievably lazy with the art there.
    Yeah...considering that if memory serves, Berry Punch is an earth pony.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

28. - Top - End - #748
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Perhaps Equestria isn't such a great place after all? Maybe they don't name their foals till they are 4 or 5 years of age (or the pony equivalent) because infant mortality rate is so high. Or perhaps the parents give a name, and then force their child to into the personality.

Maybe that's Berry Punch's Twin Unicorn sister? Yup. Thats now my headcannon.

29. - Top - End - #749

Maybe that's Berry Punch's Twin Unicorn sister? Yup. Thats now my headcannon.
    Nah, she's just always been envious of Rarity, so she "acquired" a horn had Nurse Redheart graft it on.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Lyra will always be a filly Lyra to me. Heartstrings is a pretty last name. Carrot Top stays, Noteworthy gets a pass because I never liked 'Blues', Berry Punch and Berryshine both sound alcoholic enough to be interchangeable for me.
    Huh. All this time I had thought it was Carrot Cake, not Carrot Top.
    I like my fanon name better than the normal one and the canon one I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post

Pip is a year (or less) old, but he has a name. Although considering Pip is probably short for Pipsqueak, I have to imagine that's just a nickname. Huh. You may be onto something here.

Lyra is a recolor of Twilight Sparkle, Blues is a recolor of Big Macintosh, Berry Punch is a recolor of Rarity, and Carrot Top is a recolor of Pinkie Pie. One of the best comments I read suggested that the pony figures were actually different background characters we hadn't seen yet. Or Twilight cosplaying as Lyra, and so on and so forth.