New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXX: Trixie Treats!

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    I can't say that I'm surprised, either. Something like this was probably inevitable, given the extraordinary creativity of the brony community and the way that fanon grew and coalesced around the background characters. The fact that Nightmare Night produced so little of it was kind of amazing, if you think about it.
    Seriously as soon a THE ROYAL CANTERLOT VOICE BEGAN WE MOST EXPECTED A FANDOM OF UTTER DISSARRAY

It's possibly the most embraced Jossing of fanon I've ever witnessed

2. - Top - End - #812
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Herpes
    That better be the next thread title.
    What? No
    Just
    Just no

This is the first time since I was twelve, that I've read the word "herpes" and didn't freak out because I've had chickenpox and now a tiny virus parasite has fastened itself into my nervous system and maybe this time the shower will be hot enough I dont even need all this skin or maybe if I drink the rubbing alcohol fast enough I won't Go completely blind and oh Luna why is my skin itching is it the shingles AAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHH

*pants*

Don't take this false sense of security away from me

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    What, you want objectively correct policy implementation programs? Good luck getting that. That depends on any number of things depending on any number of other things.

No, morality is deciding that the homeless man is your problem and your responsibility. You are then compelled to search for the best way to deal with that problem. You may never find it. You may be wracked with guilt and insecurity forever because of the mistakes you are destined to make. And that's the way it should be.

If you told me you knew the right answer to the problem of the homeless man I wouldn't trust you.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    I'm not allowed to trash talk Hasbro on the blog, so hi Ponythread. I'm back.

My immediate overreaction is that I would rather give back all of my other pony toys than have any official background pony toys at all if this is what they're going to do with them. Not that I would wish there were no toys at all - that would mean there is no show. But I will put all of my ponies back on the shelves they came from right this second.

You can't have her, Hasbro. She's mine.
    Hi phoe! It's nice to see you again.

Most of everything has already been covered, so I'll just commiserate. I feel your pain; watching any slice of this particular both hold itself above petty squabbles, and yet squabble pettily, makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    0.o
    Why are you underneath me?

SiuiS, is this that birthday gift you were talking about?

PHOE!! I LOVE
    YOU PHOE!!
    Hi ^^
    *snerk* you're a dork, Braz.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    Also!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Kippy!! You're such a part of the MLP fandom you're even on the SHELVES with them in stores!!
    XD
    I'd forgotten about that! Go kpenguin!

We're always here for when you need to trash talk enormous faceless corporations.

I'm kinda with you, though. Which is disappointing - I want really badly for Hasbro to sell me the things I want, and their constant refusal to do so is progressively frustrating. Shut up and take my money.jpg
    It is a fascinating study in the road to hell, isn't it? Best intentions and all that. There has been one single, almost unanimous request from thefandom since before I even knew my little ponies had a new show.
    Hasbro, show accurate toys? Can we please has?
    And nothing. They are inching along, but it's like the gambler's dilemma. They have so much invested in their wickedly wrong g3.5 stuff that they can just let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    Why the hell is Sweetie Belle's head almost as big as Princess Celestia?
    Why is Princess Celestia both pink and as small as Sweetie Belle? I blame Dame Sparkle, and we'll find out in the fifth season when she finally dabbles in Zecora's witchcraft :3

And suddenly, the flaw in our plan becomes apparent. Can we really ignore something that's cannon on the wiki?
    Dude.
    It's a wiki.
    It has all the legitimacy of the POTUS trying to declare catholic doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Yes.

Actually, that is exactly what I'm expecting.
    And that's where you're wrong.

I know, I know. Bleakbane being right is a universal constant! Like inkwell being awesome. It's a matter of application.

See, if I live in an apartment and I ask my landlord to fix my broken air conditioner, and said landlord buys me a new car, cuts my rent, hooks up free cable and sends me a basket of muffins, I'm still going to be upset that he hasn't touched the air conditioner.

Hasbro has been great. They have been awesome. That does earn them a lot of slack. But whether that slack makes up for ignoring the one single thing they have ever been asked by the fandom is up to each individual fan. We have asked, singularly and as a group, for show accurate toys. We have run polls, we have sent them studies documenting support, and we have asked every member of their company we can get ahold of about show accurate toys.

They have nodded at us, given us Derpy Hooves, acknowledged DJ PON-3, given us a snazzier version of an admittedly horrible pop song, adjusted their viewing schedule to tangentially make it easier to watch their show, and allowed fan merch to flow without hindrance. They have also studiously ignored show accurate toys.

Oddly enough, you're arguing the moral stance, and mine is amoral. I find that intriguing. Must be your token sanity with a dash of class.

I don't know what kind of standards you hold me to, but I am allowed to, just this once, take an unreasonable stance and be upset that something I loved more than any other single piece in this series that I adore has suddenly become stuck in this quagmire of controversy and argument over a stupid bit of molded plastic.

I am not a robot or a being of perfect logic and reason. I have emotions and I am damn sure allowed to experience them. Would you prefer I stuffed them somewhere else until they hurt me?
    Quite the contrary, we welcome your venting. If it has to be done, better with friends around, aye?

I think a lot of folks miss that thing I keep quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Discussions
    Talk about books, movies, TV, or music here, safe from the judging eyes of the outside world.
    This is the place we go to that somewhat alleviates outside concerns. This is our confessional, our therapy group. Thats why most of us are so willing to "bear all", because this is the place for it. This thread partially functions as the "behind closed doors" we are told to go to for private stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    imagedump
    Badass Lyra/Bonbon
    and 2 sweet Lunas
    Spoiler
    Show

Lyra?
    W-why are you looking at me like that?
    What are you...? not sure if I should make a joke about an actual pretty pony behind me that she's looking at over my shoulder or not

3. - Top - End - #813
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ealdhain View Post
    Heehee! I've seen the "Welcome to the herd" one already, thanks to the friend who introduced me. Thank you all. This seems like a good community. =)
    Don't tell anyone in the thread I told you this, but some of them us are slightly crazy
    Last edited by Eakin; 2011-11-02 at 11:40 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

4. - Top - End - #814
    Banned

Umm...hi everypony. I'm a little new to this. I've watched a couple of the episodes of Friendship is Magic, and I think I'd like to give it a shot.
    A shot you say?

Pull up a chair! Join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Its like the best case of awesome herpes you will ever catch. Don't worry I didn't just make that up I made it up earlier today
    eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww~!
    *resists the urge to flense himself*

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Don't tell anyone in the thread I told you this, but some of them us are slightly crazy
    LIES!

This "some" is specious slander! I will hear none of it!
    We are all well and truly ponysane.

... Aaaaaand now I'm hearing the music Meister. RAAAAAZ_FOOOOOOX!

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

OMG...they just put up a new episode of Friendship is Witchcraft!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    BEST LINE!!! "Interesting Plot Twist"
    i smell a Diamond Tiara/Twist shipfic coming!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Lyra?
    W-why are you looking at me like that?
    What are you...? not sure if I should make a joke about an actual pretty pony behind me that she's looking at over my shoulder or not
    OH!!!, you want one of Lyra looking at you?

ok then...
    Spoiler
    Show

How dare you! How DARE YOU!
    I am not slightly crazy at all, and i demand you retract this viscous slander
    I am TOTALLY crazy
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2011-11-03 at 12:17 AM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

I have returned from the mystical land of [insert name of Canada here], rife with [adventure/heartbreak/mad dance moves] and [swag/swag/swag]!

And dear goodness you ponies made all the pages. I suppose this settles my fears about thread slowdown somewhat. Seeing how it's late and I'm tired, I'll have to trawl through the past 15+ pages I missed and pick out relevant nonsense. Or just enjoy ya'lls company.

But I will leave you with one exciting bit of news:

Confirmed bronies in my dorm house: 2

Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-11-03 at 01:13 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    OH!!!, you want one of Lyra looking at you?

ok then...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am creeped out and disturbed. And oddly fascinated.

You have played your hand - well, her hand - well.

How dare you! How DARE YOU!
    I am not slightly crazy at all, and i demand you retract this viscous slander
    I am TOTALLY crazy
    Yes! Let us brow-beat him on the Internet for saying something wrong! This is model Brony behavior at it's finest! This joke sounded great in my head but now it's getting away from me! Why are we yelling!? Loud noises!

Alright. I'm at that stage of sleepy and dehydrated where my brain stops working properly.
    Time to work on my Mage character.

Roleplaying is Magic postponed for a combination of too many work hours with surprise inspections, poor time management, and they changed the PDF format on me. But it's still percolating, slowly.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-11-03 at 01:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

She'll always be a filly to meeee~
    Phoe and Thanqol, you're both getting the blame for inspiring this...

*clears throat*

To the tune of "She's always a woman", by Billy Joel.

With her minty green coat, and the gold of her eyes
    That she's won our Phoe over should be of no surprise
    Forever a favourite on Equestria Daily
    She thinks that she's human, but she's always a filly to me.

Watch her bounce on the clouds, 'cause no one told her it's wrong
    And keep an eye on the background, she'll pop up before long
    With that cheeky-flank grin that we're longing to see
    She'll act like she's human, but she's always a filly to me.

Ohhh... she's a mare of music
    She will sit how she wants, just wants some air-time
    Ohhh... and she'll ever be 'shipped
    With her waifu Bon-Bon (though Phoe doesn't mind)

It's that goofy expression, and the cutie mark'd lyre
    If she would play us a song it'll set hearts a-fire
    And though her musical talent we're still waiting to see
    Call her what you will, but she'll always be Lyra to me!

Confound this ponythread, it drives me to filk.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Phoe and Thanqol, you're both getting the blame for inspiring this...
    You're blaming me? YOU'RE blaming ME!?!

I'm blaming YOU.

Because YOU

Made ME

Do THIS

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm blaming YOU.
    Yeah, I'm blaming you... wanna make something of it?

Spoiler
    Show

Because YOU

Made ME

Do THIS
    In all seriousness, unfortunately Youtube is blocked at work. I'll have to wait until I get home and get online tonight to watch this. But if this is what I think it is...

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #821

Yeah, I'm blaming you... wanna make something of it?

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, man. The last two times you challenged me to do anything, even offhand, I 1) Drew a picture 2) Sang a song. You really want to risk challenging me to a duel?

In all seriousness, unfortunately Youtube is blocked at work. I'll have to wait until I get home and get online tonight to watch this. But if this is what I think it is...

Spoiler
    Show
    It's exactly what you think it is.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

We do not speak of the Gate.
    That's the first rule of Gate club!

I'm not allowed to trash talk Hasbro on the blog, so hi Ponythread. I'm back.

My immediate overreaction is that I would rather give back all of my other pony toys than have any official background pony toys at all if this is what they're going to do with them. Not that I would wish there were no toys at all - that would mean there is no show. But I will put all of my ponies back on the shelves they came from right this second.

You can't have her, Hasbro. She's mine.
    Hi Phoe! *waves*

I'll be staying mostly clear of this discussion, but for the purposes of my own headcannon I'll adopt Heartstrings as Lyra's surname. Berry I'm passing off as a unicorn doppleganger/cousin, don't mind Blues' new name. Carrot Top ... yeah I'm still working that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Its like the best case of awesome herpes you will ever catch. Don't worry I didn't just make that up I made it up earlier today
    I ... think it needs some more work before we can implement this as a sales pitch

Roleplaying is Magic postponed for a combination of too many work hours with surprise inspections, poor time management, and they changed the PDF format on me. But it's still percolating, slowly.
    Yay! Percolate it, brother!

Pop, pop pop ... oh yeah, ponies.

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, man. The last two times you challenged me to do anything, even offhand, I 1) Drew a picture 2) Sang a song. You really want to risk challenging me to a duel?
    I now have this image of Thanqol brandishing a claymore sized paintbrush and singing his way to battle.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, sorry... I guess I'm just not used to people being inspired by my offhandhoof online comments. It tends to happen very infrequently, so twice in two days? Shock to the system. Besides, 'twas soley in jest, hence the "" - anything I post with a isn't meant to be taken seriously.

P.S. I also challenged you to sign up, raise money, and grow a moustache for Movember, because I figured if anypony was up to the challenge, it was you. Seriously, what with Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship and learning to draw and all the other neat stuff you come up with (like this), I'm beginning wonder if you're some kind of internet super-brony.

It's exactly what you think it is.
    Awesome. I can't wait to watch it.

... oh, great, now it's on Equestria Daily.

Thanqol, why do you have to be so awesome?

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    I'm pretty sure everyone decided the canon names were cognomens. Anyone just want to go with that?
    Even if I didn't before, I would have agreed with this, just on the basis that someone else knows what "cognomen" means...

I don't know what kind of standards you hold me to, but I am allowed to, just this once, take an unreasonable stance and be upset that something I loved more than any other single piece in this series that I adore has suddenly become stuck in this quagmire of controversy and argument over a stupid bit of molded plastic.

I am not a robot or a being of perfect logic and reason. I have emotions and I am damn sure allowed to experience them. Would you prefer I stuffed them somewhere else until they hurt me?
    Come now, Phoe, leaving aside the fact that as a denizen of ponythread and thereby earning a fraction of my respect and thus being held to my ludicrously high standards, your exalted position as near-demi-goddess of ED means that of course you should be completely unreasonably expected to act like Princess Celestia, i.e. utterly without reproach and to an unobtainable standard of perfection...

If only because the thought of making your eye twitch is of great personal amusement to me (because, y'know, Evil...)

(Note lack of "to be uncharacteristically serious" in prior post. You said in your own words you were overreacting... What, you didn't think I'd miss a chance to attempt to wind you up, Phoe, surely, after giving me such a tempting target...? You have been away from ponythread too much haven't you...?)

And that's where you're wrong.

I know, I know. Bleakbane being right is a universal constant! Like inkwell being awesome. It's a matter of application.

See, if I live in an apartment and I ask my landlord to fix my broken air conditioner, and said landlord buys me a new car, cuts my rent, hooks up free cable and sends me a basket of muffins, I'm still going to be upset that he hasn't touched the air conditioner.

Hasbro has been great. They have been awesome. That does earn them a lot of slack. But whether that slack makes up for ignoring the one single thing they have ever been asked by the fandom is up to each individual fan. We have asked, singularly and as a group, for show accurate toys. We have run polls, we have sent them studies documenting support, and we have asked every member of their company we can get ahold of about show accurate toys.

They have nodded at us, given us Derpy Hooves, acknowledged DJ PON-3, given us a snazzier version of an admittedly horrible pop song, adjusted their viewing schedule to tangentially make it easier to watch their show, and allowed fan merch to flow without hindrance. They have also studiously ignored show accurate toys.

Oddly enough, you're arguing the moral stance, and mine is amoral. I find that intriguing. Must be your token sanity with a dash of class.
    I do love being able to take the moral high ground while still managing to do so in an Evil way (though, in this case, that maybe a slight tad of an exaggeration, but I'll leave it to Phoe to beat you over the head with the nearest heavy Lyra-shaped object).

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Hello, welcome to the herd! Please excuse the current brouhaha; it's kind of the pony equivalent of Edition Wars. You needn't take it any more or less seriously than you want to.
    Lichemaster, it's nowhere near that bad! (Well, not here anyway. Here, it's mostly me being characteristically Trollestia-y, with the ponies seeming to take me at face value, silly ponies...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-11-03 at 04:51 AM.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beeskee View Post
    I read all of this series, and the prequel. It was really good, though I did regret reading two horror stories just before bed. O.o;
    Thanks. Another night ruined, my job here is done

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I would say that Applebloom does have a slight accent. It's not super pronounced, but it is there - much like the accents I heard growing up. I think you could probably get away with giving Big Mac one, but since he's pretty taciturn anyway, the most show-accurate way to portray him is to probably minimize his speaking as much as possible.
    Good point. Going to need him to talk more than usual in this story, but I'll try to use as few and as short sentences as possible.

We now have some "offical" names for the background ponies.

Not better, I fear, than the fanon, though I do like the idea suggested of adopting the canon names as second names (or otherwise combining them): "Lyra Heartstrings", in particular, has a very nice ring to it, doesn't it?
    I don't mind the names. We all knew they'd probably give them different names if they ever gave them names at all, and until they're named in the show I won't consider any of this canon. For all we know the people behind the show had nothing to do with this and probably didn't even know.

I mean, look at that art... if the people behind the show had anything to do with this, we wouldn't be looking at Twilight and her friends cosplaying as Lyra and her friends. That, unlike the names, makes me want to come out from under the bridge. Seriously... one would think they could get a vector of Lyra and any other background ponies, without any additional work, by calling up the people doing the show and saying "Hey there, could you just pass along that vector in a mail, pretty please?". Instead they apparently paid someone to make a new, crappy piece of recoloring. That makes NO SENSE!

That said, back to the names. I do like Lyra Heartstrings, best of both worlds, because Heartstrings is actually a pretty pretty name, but of course she'll always be our Lyra.

Never heard of this Blues pony before - and here I thought I knew all the popular background ponies - but Noteworthy is a pretty cool name. Blues Noteworthy even better.

Berryshine or Berry Punch... eh, same difference to me.

Only one I don't like is Golden Harvest. I think I'll stick with Carrot Top, at least until she's named in the actual show.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    Pony naming confuses me. How can they have a name that reflects their personality?

For example, How could Fluttershy's parents of possibly known that the then Newborn Fluttershy would grow up to be shy?

And finally, Hasbro got unbelievably lazy with the art there.
    I always figured there's this prophecy thing going on. When a pony is born they're given a name based on their future, as foretold by some pony seer or something.

How in Equestria anypony could ever have trouble finding their cutie mark, if that's the case, is beyond me however.

Umm...hi everypony. I'm a little new to this. I've watched a couple of the episodes of Friendship is Magic, and I think I'd like to give it a shot.
    Welcome, welcome, welcome!

You know what this calls for?
    A PARTY!!!

I'm blaming YOU.

Because YOU

Made ME

Do THIS
    That's... I lack words for this kind of thing
    Last edited by Deadly; 2011-11-03 at 05:11 AM.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, I'll just wave fanon discontinuity on all those "named" ponies. (Noteworthy sounds like a good name though.)

Or just assume that Lyra is a clone of Heartstrings and therefore not in any way related. The better clone obviously. (You can even argue Heartstrings is the one Twilight met in the first episode and Lyra is the one we see all day in Ponyville.)

17. - Top - End - #827

Heh, sorry... I guess I'm just not used to people being inspired by my offhandhoof online comments. It tends to happen very infrequently, so twice in two days? Shock to the system. Besides, 'twas soley in jest, hence the "" - anything I post with a isn't meant to be taken seriously.

P.S. I also challenged you to sign up, raise money, and grow a moustache for Movember, because I figured if anypony was up to the challenge, it was you. Seriously, what with Operation: Indiscriminate Friendship and learning to draw and all the other neat stuff you come up with (like this), I'm beginning wonder if you're some kind of internet super-brony.
    Oh yeah, the moustache! That's coming along well.

And being a super-brony is actually part of my mission statement. I'ma be the best damn brony there is.

Awesome. I can't wait to watch it.

... oh, great, now it's on Equestria Daily.

Thanqol, why do you have to be so awesome?
    So I can make everyone else look bad.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

it needs music to it, brb looking for a Karaoke version.

edit; Found one
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2011-11-03 at 05:17 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #829
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, somepony wants Lyra looking at them?

Spoiler
    Show

BAM! DOUBLE STARE ATTACK!

I'm quoting the lich but the reply is more intended toward the thread.

So, yeah, when something comes along that, for blindingly obvious legal reasons, does not match up exactly with fanon, I do actually expect a reasoned, tolerant response from everypony; they've at least earned some leeway, have they not?
    I figured it was for legal reasons, or that Hasbro is making new ponies which look similar to background ponies. Either way, they can call them whatever they like, that is cool. If a particular fan doesn't like the name, it is their choice to ignore it and call the pony whatever they would like instead.

We don't have to use the given names, either from the toy packaging or from the fanon, OR from the show even. There's no reason someone can't call Twilight Sparkle "Ms. Magicy" if they feel like it.

Howdy, and welcome. Also, please ignore the current stuff going on about the toys. Normally folks here are a biiit more relaxed. Though, overall, everyone is taking things better than might be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Thanks. Another night ruined, my job here is done
    Oddly enough I did not have nightmares or anything. And they are great stories.
    Last edited by Beeskee; 2011-11-03 at 05:20 AM.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

PonyFort: IC and OOC threads.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Bugbear in the Playground

I quite like the theory that some pony's special talent is naming other ponies, and they're REALLY good at it
    Ah, but what comes first, the name or the personality? Does the pony name them based on what s/he sees the personality would be, or does the personality mold based off of the name?
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

21. - Top - End - #831
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Personally, I would hardly consider the labels on the toys to be canon in the context of the show. The teams behind the toyline and the show are very segregated, if memory serves. The show team just gets a few calls now and then to be told to include X as something that is being made as a toy.

Toy packages can be mislabeled. The bios on toy packages can be terribly inaccurate . The toys themselves are often not accurate to the show. Characters made as toys may never exist in the show and show characters may never become toys. Characters existing in both might have additional accessories or an entire different appearance when it comes to toy-making.

There's a Pinkie Pie toy car. Does this mean that Pinkie Pie has a car within show canon? Not likely... though a Pinkiemobile might be full of hilarity.

Further...

I believe in audience interpretation. I believe that the interaction between the audience and a work is important in creating a work just as the interaction between creator and their work.

However, I also believe that what occurs in the work is what is established in the work. If a background pony is called a name in show, then I accept that that is that pony's name. If a pony is given a characterization in show, then I accept that is that pony's characterization. Within the show. In the context of the show. And what is established in show should be what should be used to discuss the show itself.

Does this mean that the previously created fanon names and personalities are discarded?

Its always been my belief that the background ponies as perceived as fanon were essentially original characters. They share the appearance of ponies in the show, but precious little else. What makes that character an actual character beyond a bit of hoofed scenery is entirely original creation beyond a few cues. Therefore, the pony that appears on the show and the pony that appears in fanon are almost entirely separate.

And if what is fanon and what is show is separate, then what occurs in show cannot overwrite the fanon character. For the sea-green pony in the show might look like Lyra of fanon, but she is not. And how she acts, what she is named, who she is, has no bearing on the Lyra of fanon save for some inspiration because she is an entirely seperate character existing in an entirely separate work.

---

Also, while you guys are mostly calm and polite, apparently the pony community at large is not about this. I'd like to make the simple black text suggestion that your admirable ability to ferment hate and anger at each over this issue continues to be exercised, lest I need break out the red text and make more than a simple suggestion.

---

On an entirely different note. Whenever Fighting is Magic is released, would anyone be interested in a GitPony tournament of the game? Preferably, soon after release date so that none of us have much time to practice and we're all relatively the same levels of incompetence.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    On an entirely different note. Whenever Fighting is Magic is released, would anyone be interested in a GitPony tournament of the game? Preferably, soon after release date so that none of us have much time to practice and we're all relatively the same levels of incompetence.
    Yes. Dear Celestia yes. That would be amazing. But I warn you, the second it comes out I will drop everything but Fighting is Magic. (My incompetence with fighting games, on the other hand, will even out the results.) Still haven't decided my character though. I'll probably be Rarity.
    "There's something on your face!
    *kick*
    "It was pain!"

Oh, and I've decided on an artist name for the pony community. How does 2clop Fappur sound?

No, I'm not up at 3:50 in the morning posting ponies. That would be obsessive!
    Last edited by Gaelbert; 2011-11-03 at 05:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    Yes. Dear Celestia yes. That would be amazing. But I warn you, the second it comes out I will drop everything but Fighting is Magic. (My incompetence with fighting games, on the other hand, will even out the results.) Still haven't decided my character though. I'll probably be Rarity.
    "There's something on your face!
    *kick*
    "It was pain!"

Oh, and I've decided on an artist name for the pony community. How does 2clop Fappur sound?

No, I'm not up at 3:50 in the morning posting ponies. That would be obsessive!
    Sweet Celestia. I second any such tourney!

This is MY book! And I'm going to read it!
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-11-03 at 06:01 AM.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Sweet Celestia. I second any such tourney!

This is MY book! And I'm going to read it!
    I do have to say, what I've seen of Twilight's moves looks impressive. She looks like a teleportation and zone control character. Applejack seems to be a
    "in-your-face" brawler type character. Any speculation on the other ponies' styles and movesets? I haven't seen enough of Pinkie to judge, and we haven't seen any of the others at all.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh, somepony wants Lyra looking at them?

Spoiler
    Show

BAM! DOUBLE STARE ATTACK!
    Must resist urge to engage in staring contest...will lose, anyway.

Heck yes. I'm bad at fighting games and would most likely be eliminated early, but it sounds like fun.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know enough of fighting games to judge to be honest. But her finishing move was awesome. And so Twilight.

Btw, here's Twilight's theme. Now I'll be listening to this the whole day.

27. - Top - End - #837

Also, while you guys are mostly calm and polite, apparently the pony community at large is not about this. I'd like to make the simple black text suggestion that your admirable ability to ferment hate and anger at each over this issue continues to be exercised, lest I need break out the red text and make more than a simple suggestion.
    I'm pretty sure I've sung everything I need to on the topic.

Also, SOME GUY DID A COVER OF THE SONG

And another guy has promised a cover!

Best fandom. Best solution to problems. Living life without fear just gets better.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Oddly enough I did not have nightmares or anything. And they are great stories.
    Damn

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Ah, but what comes first, the name or the personality? Does the pony name them based on what s/he sees the personality would be, or does the personality mold based off of the name?
    Why must one happen before the other? Maybe the future of Equestria already exists, so from the beginning of the universe both a pony's name and personality exists and neither truly comes first

This by the way does not necessarily mean the universe is deterministic. Perhaps there's something like the multiverse theory going on, so all possible futures already exist and ponies just cruise through the possibilities.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

Heehee! I've seen the "Welcome to the herd" one already, thanks to the friend who introduced me. Thank you all. This seems like a good community. =)
    Flashbacks to when I joined! I'm going to have to find my old hello post now...

Even if I didn't before, I would have agreed with this, just on the basis that someone else knows what "cognomen" means...
    Heh heh, I impressed Bleakbane! Thank you, high school vocabulary classes!

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Some minor update on the mod of SotS I been working on.

Spoiler
    Show

I found that the avatar image seemed blurred when displayed. Any idea on how to resize things without the blurriness?

Also, suggestions for the avatars would be nice. I think Rarity's and Rainbow Dash's appear to be less than satisfactory.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-11-03 at 06:55 AM.