New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,486 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Oasis is Hell - Exalted 2ed - IC

Crossroads

Ara'Desirae glanced at the miserable masses above her. Her demonic heart trembled upon seeing them. How she could understand their feelings, how she learned that the value of a past was less than the survival for a day, the pleasure of a future. The distant longing of the masters echoed more keenly with the weaker demons.

"I shall see, one second Mistress Zeka," with that she took to the dreadful air and approached the sulking demons. She gives them a gentle smile and an aerial bow, "Hello, strong and cunning serfs of the area." She gives a soft chuckle and prepares to dive away should any of them strike at her. She couldn't help the playful teasing tone that came when bowing to others. "I wonder though have you seen others? Especially those who came to this spot earlier, or those that seek to harm my mistress? Or anyone else that is seeking of passages such as these?"

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

Inns and Outs

The cyclone of silent entropy surged, the wordless battle around Fury and the demon reaching its climax - mangled, twisted sacks of flesh wrapped in deathly gripes around each another, limbs tensed, every sinew and muscle wriggling from under the skin, as if about to snap and limp. There were fangs dug into bodies, silvery and green blood dripping onto the dreary floor, all colour gone from it before it could even splash and soak down into there argent logs. Shards of bone jutting from pierced skin, thrust as if they were just another blades to take away the life of another, the ones hurt oblivious to their ruined form - or maybe not oblivious to it, just no longer capable of understanding of feeling the implications and consequences of stabbing others with splinters of their own bone.

And yet, no emotion. No emotion at all, no passion, no fury, no rage, not even the bitter tone of despair to tint this display of senseless violence. The music of the Demon City flowing from the outside struck a rhythm, yes, but even it, even its brazen, ringing sounds reached the interior of the inn muffled and distorted into an almost funreary march, slow and filled with resignation more than melancholy.

And only the flies, the swath of insects, buzzed as it had always, without care for the world around them, only swarming the ever-growing layer of corpses littering the floor. In a way, they looked entirely natural, the simplest, smallest and most voracious carrion eaters claiming their prey. Yet, if one was to listen carefully to the hiss of their small, opalizing wings, a subtle undertone of panflute's jaunty, jaunted tunes could be heard, uncannily appealing for something that disgusting.

Sheshken clasped his hands, and all ground to a halt, the last remaining demons stilling in the air, before they could strike themselves down for good.

It was a peculiar sight, a diorama made of flesh and bone, frozen half-way through murder, half-way through rot and decay, still and quiet.

'And if a living is killed, what do they become?' he asked, tone tinged with something that could pass for amusement. 'Why, a corpse exactly! Thus, if a corpse would be slain, would not it spring into life, like a flower blossoming after a winter long? Only fitting, only sensible... though only if the hour is right, the time celestial auspicious for such a sowing...'

He looked at Fury, his eyes blank and without expression, fingers tapping the surface of the table slowly, leaving behind blots of gray where they touched the surface.
    (02:10:41) Emily Lorn: that's beyond angsty
    (02:10:45) Emily Lorn: that's /depressing/
    (02:10:55) Emily Lorn: you're fired as my angst consultant for being overqualified
    ---
    Pink haired Sister of Battle avatar by Akrim.elf

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inns and Outs

Fury sighs. Would it be too much to ask to get get a straight answer about what this demon wants? Still, at least he gave the surroundings a nice touch. The sight of all these dead demons pleased Fury. "So, do you know any ways to make that happen? Because, again, every other time I've seen something like that happen, hitting a dead body more just breaks it more. Whether it's moving or not. Or are you just going to keep rambling on and wasting my time?"
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2013-06-13 at 11:01 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1474

Mending

Another rustle of whispers waved over the crowd, the people of the town stranded somewhere in the endless sea of brass and dust remarking on how theirs - theirs, an important word, implying possession, acceptance - Abyssal reacted to their apology, and whether it was, in the end, justified and necessary.

The cold wind, blowing for many hours know from the bleak wastes of Oasis could be heard, a chill wheeze slowly silencing the mutterings and comments. No one knew what to say know. Perhaps they expected to be rebuked, to somehow be punished for their good will, which would at least set the world straight, once more. But their apology had been accepted, and they could no longer claim that the Daybreak was an outcast among them, a pariah in their little society.

The woman that led them bowed politely, turned and walked away to her own devices, to her own day, and the entire group dispersed to the tune of mumbled farewells and grudging wishes of well-being. Hastily, they returned to whatever was busying them in their knew, malfean lives, leaving Artificer alone with Elise standing behind him.

'You didn't deserve that' she said smoothly when there was no one around that could eavesdrop. Curiously, there was barely any accusation in that, or anger, but rather something in the vein of a reminder, a coll, well-meaning observation that was supposed to point to something, not make it stand out. 'You did wrong them, am I right?'

She did not release his shoulder, nor did she tighten her grip.
    (02:10:55) Emily Lorn: you're fired as my angst consultant for being overqualified
    ---

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mending

The Artificer of Ten Thousand Blasphemies says nothing for a time. The expression on his face would have said everything, had there been anyone observing it.

"Them specifically?" he says finally. "I... do not recall wronging this settlement in specific... But... in a... broader sense... you are probably right."

There is silence for a time... for perhaps the first time, he who sought to cast the remnants of the Neverborn's shame into Oblivion has no words in him.

6. - Top - End - #1476

In Which Things Go Downhill

Rose uttered her plea, and the gods went quiet, though their wicked blades still barred her passage deeper into the Upper Barony. She could sense how unsure they were, maybe even afraid. Tasked with protecting the lifeless mock-up of the Heaven that still shone in their memories with all of its old glory, bound to their duty not by some bureaucracy as much as by their own devotion to the image of a world that had irrevocably passed. Yet, they knew how hollow their vigil was, because the husk of brass and onyx lying behind their gate was everything but Yu-Shan - only wind howled between its tall spires of steel, and if footsteps ever rang on the verdigris-moulded streets, nothing answered them but a hollow echo. And more, they held another memory close, the one of sky darkening as the Deathknights marched against Existence, and proved victorious.

They were afraid of Rose, and they were afraid of letting her go. They were afraid of the mighty crow she rode, oblivious to its true nature. They were ruled by their fear.

'It is not a reason worthy of ingress...' said one of them.

'It is a reason well worthy of ingress...' contradicted the other.

'Silent now' a third voice cut in before they could discuss their first disagreement in centuries. A third voice coming from a simple, dry vine of razor-wire that crept up from a crack in the surface of Oasis' metallic crust. On Rose's eyes, the wine sprouted and grew, cracking harshly as it raised up into the hot air, taking on a peculiar shape: the bramble turned into a small sphere, held aloft by a long stalk, a garishly yellow ember flickering from between the tightly woven edges of the razor-thorn. 'I am of Lynt. And you assume he will accept you' the voice was hard to describe, a tenuousness to it that summoned to mind an image of a candle-flame guttering out in a stiff breeze. But it would come at a great difficulty to actually call it weak, there was a strength to the words - thin as they were, almost quiet, they betrayed no frailty. 'He of us harbours nothing but spite for you. Why would you seek him of us, knowing that hate?'
    Last edited by Gargulec; 2013-06-18 at 05:54 PM.
    ---

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Dwarf in the Playground

In Which Things Go Downhill

"His acceptance..." Rose frowned. She looked at the crow. "I know I do not deserve it. I know I have done nothing to prove it. Nothing to prove I am deserving of anything but derision or hatred. I understand. But I ask for a chance to prove myself regardless. She grabbed at her chest.

"I know hate. I know hate more then most. I was, for a time, Hatred. It was all I could feel. Hatred for myself. Hatred for my family. Hatred for my Master and Hatred for my life. So I let hatred fill every pore of my empty, cursed soul. I hated those who lived, and those who had died. I could do nothing more then hate and fear. I was a hollow, terrible person." She said, frowning.

"So I seek him, because I want to prove that, no matter what I was in the past, I don't want to be that in the future. And...I do not fear hate. I do not fear hate or being feared. I do not want to hate, and I do not want to fear, and I will not fear those who hate me. Even if the entire world...even if it turns against me, I refuse to turn my back on it. I can't help...I can't do anything, if I just hide. I won't do that. I can't. She mumbled.

Even if everyone and everything alive hates me, I can't turn my back on them, and to help them I need more power then what I have. I can't use the power that I've used before. That...that power of hatred that I had when I was...when I was a newer Exalt...I won't use that again. Ever. So I need something else. Flynt...I heard he can help me." If I can surpass my own hate, I can surpass their hatred as well.
    Last edited by Flare; 2013-06-22 at 01:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1478

Company of Self

Winds howled outside, as they had always. Back in Creation, they would care with them clouds of dust, of sand, of little shards of rock bitting their way under cloth, blinding, searing, but here, their sharpness was more literal.

Her flesh could resist them, sure. But it still tore at her, like a torrent of invisible razors, scratching the skin, drawing blood instantly ripped from her veins in long, thin scarlet braids dispersing in the gale. A less man, a lesser thing would be slaughtered just by walking in them, and not even bones would withstand, reduced into motes of foul dust to be carried away somewhere towards nothingness.

And yet someone was out there, moving in slowly towards the manse, through the labyrinth carved in the brass and basalt.

It wasn't hard to find her, struggling against the dire hurricane, almost forced to a crawl.

It is a commonly accepted truth that what is dead stays that way, and once the threshold is crossed, there is no going back. And yet, Deathknights. Seeker remembered dying - life bleeding away into the sands. She was on the other side, but something pulled her back, even though she should not survive.

She was not the only one to receive such a grace.

The gale broke the girl again, the girl with steel heart, the girl who did not want to be cold, the girl who died from Seeker's hands. And the air around the girl shimmered in dark hues, blood dripping from her forehead that bore a sign of the Abyssalhood.

She did not notice Seeker, the struggle against the wind too overwhelming for her to spot even her foe.

The Man Who Was Tomorrow

The "gracious host", seemingly not off-put in the slightest by the silence from his guest, waved his hand lightly. He wore no gloves, and so Unspoken Word could notice that his skin was in the dark-red hue of brick or drying blood.

'And I hope you will excuse me for the theatrics' he pointed at the mask on his face. It had to be made from something expensive, a bone of some rare behemoth or maybe white jade, the Solar could not tell. 'Though I think you understand them leagues better than I do. Right?' he was not self-assured. He was in a position of power, but did not seek to intimidate the Zenith in front of him, he did not try to really impress. More, the Solar could almost tell that he was in fact a bit awed by him - it was in the timbre, cadence of his voice. 'One way or another, I am Tomorrow' he introduced himself with a slight bow. 'And I brought you here for a very simple reason. The Yozis harmed you, didn't they?' he asked rhetorically. 'You're not the only one. They made us suffer for long enough. Perhaps we owe them some respect, as their progeny, but whatever was their due, we gave it to them already, and more than that. And that is what calls for a simple attempt, a display of free-thinking geared towards overthrowing the cosmic tyrants, aided by the powers that had once crushed the Titans. And that is what calls for a...' he paused, held his breath 'revolution! Uprising of the lowly against the lofty! Justice for all' he uttered on a single breath, a fire of zeal speaking through him as he made his bold proclamation.
    Last edited by Gargulec; 2013-06-24 at 04:11 PM.
    ---

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Pixie in the Playground

The Man Who Was Tomorrow

The Prophet hung perfectly still as his host laid out his introduction, but despite his appearance, he was far from passive. Even so, he was only half-listening to masked figure in front of him. Truthfully, the figure's presence was not all-together unanticipated, given his circumstances. Everyone was always looking for a pawn, and Unspoken Word had no doubt that having survived the onslaught of The Boar That Twists the skies would make him a prime candidate for those that wished to pursue agendas that needed a rallying symbol.

This suspicion proved itself in the Solar's mind. The entity before him was a storyteller, trying to sell him a story that he could buy into. Unspoken Word was well aware of the tactic. In fact, he had heard this story before, and at the moment it bored him.

Instead, his mind lingered on that small bit of essence that had returned to him. It told him that there were two less humans than there were before, and that the human race was that much closer to extinction. It was a bitter loss that pained the Prophet greatly, but that was not his only wound. So many who had believed in him had been flattened, and once again it came to pass that the goggles that shielded his eyes also hid his tears from the outside world.

It was the last of the demon's words that finally caught the Solar's attention.

"And Justice... for all...", the solar thought out-loud.

The thought carried through the void, and there was a hint of bitter amusement within it. It was soon followed by a fit of sardonic laughter that filled the void. Light erupted from the chosen of the sun, filling the void with a bright light. Wings made of light sprung from his back, and a terrible grim-claive manifested in his hand.

"Then let he who is without sin caste the first stone!" his mind declared as a phantasmal pantheon of Yozis, gods, and all of the lessers sprang up around the pair.

"We will caste down the Yozi first, proclaimed as he sliced through them with his scythe, dooming them to an anguished explosion of light, "for their tyranny!

He then made another broad sweep through the multitude of major demons, cutting them down and squelching their light. "And the unquestionable for their collaboration!"

The Golden Bull continue to cull the phantasms around him with wild abandon, cutting down figures without discrimination, and eliminating the illumination that they provided in this dark realm.

"And next the gods for their treason, and the citizens for their complicity and cowardice."

The only figures left around him were the small and the weak. The mortals and lesser demons cowered together as glowing eyes appeared in the darkness around them.

"And when we have overthrown the ground that we stand on, oblivion will welcome us with open arms and deliver it's final justice to all that remain."

As he 'spoke', dark claw and bite marks started to appear in the terrified apparitions, and the echoes of screams of horror and wailing surrounded the pair, and then fell silent. Nothing of the former pantheon remained, only nothingness.

"And we shall all finally be equals at last."
    Last edited by Ziddim; 2013-07-05 at 01:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1480

Halls of the Grotto King

'Rumors' he pondered, picking up a glass of deep-red wine. 'Oaths. I find it amusing that you mention that, my dear Ophelia' he tipped his head to the Solar, raising the glass in a salute. 'You know what this place is?' he asked. 'Once a part of Bostvade, but no longer. That you are certainly aware of. But there is a reason for this separation, for this rift...'

The meals provided were of finest quality, there was no denying that, even as they left a strange aftertaste in the throat, smoky and powdered, as if they were covered in a thinest filament of soot.

'I once knew a woman of my station and my kind' he changed the subject abruptly. 'Her name was Hawwa, and she was a Fiend, like me. But while I prefer to keep what I have, she was always wanting, and always unsatisfied' the control he held over his voice was absolutely perfect, every word measured and intoned just as he deemed fit, every trace of emotion deliberate and planned.'Ultimately, though, we sought the same thing. A world for us own, a world apart from Creation and its dregs and detritus. This is what Undergrotto is. It is a world apart, a world where I am the sole power, the only regal' he smiled widely. 'Call me vain, you have the right to. Yes, it is vanity, but it is also practicality. How long, do you think, will the Oasis above last? Oh, not the right question' his smile shortened, grew sharp. 'How long will Malfeas last, with the tumour of Oasis on its side? The realm above is doomed, it is a matter of fact. There is no way for it to continue in its current shape after the coming of the refugees and the Exalted host. And there is no way for its shape to be changed, either, for too deep run the foundations of Hell. Sooner than later someone will strike a spark, and war will start. For power's sake, first. For survival's sake, then. And finally, for no sake other than just base destruction' he drank the last of his wine and stood up from the table, moving so that the candlelights were casting his shadow on the wall, magnified and distorted. 'That is why some of us decided to flee, and cut all paths away. In this realm, I have my people, I have my land, and I have my life. And I will still have it even as the flames of Ligier gutter out and the infinite spheres grind to a halt. This shelter is not yet complete, but soon it will be. And now, do you understand why I treat you to this feast? And why I tell you all that?'
    Last edited by Gargulec; 2013-06-28 at 03:19 PM.
    ---

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Troll in the Playground

Halls of the Grotto's King

"You don't think I'll be able to leave," Ophelia said, and her eyes were troubled as her suspicion was confirmed, "you think that I too will live out all of my days away from the burning light of the sun."

She stood slowly, with new purpose. The angles of the hall made her candlelit silhouette look not grand and terrible but monstrous and deformed, hair twisting like snakes, "you are wrong. Even if somehow you succeeded in keeping me here, even if I never even stepped away from this table..."

A sudden wind blew out the candles. She reached backward, and from the murky depths of shadow pulled her shining spear, thrusting it down through wood and stone with a clap of thunder. "The light? I have brought it with me."

Standing with imperious bearing now, Ophelia with the bright weapon of pure sunlight made the gold look flimsy, barren, like cheap baubles. Here was worth, here was power, what good was mere gold compared to that?

"King of Undergrotto, who saw what was coming and hid away in a hole. I tell you now that there will be no escape, no corner of your kingdom unscarred by that which will be, for in coming here I have brought the war you foresee with me as well. I did not mean to, but it is done."

The light filled the halls as it streamed from Ophelia, illuminating every grimy crack and crevasse, until it might hurt to look upon, "I will offer you this chance. Come with me! Help to set things right, you who know man and titan. You know as well as I that Hell can change, that men can change. You must know as well that the foundations can be shaken, must be shaken, if there is to be a future for anyone. And I believe that we can do it. I believe that you can do it."

She looked at him with blazing eyes, "come with me, Prodigal! A well in the bottom of Bostvade is no place for a king."

Spoiler
    Show
    That's a very dramatic Glorious Solar Saber.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2013-06-28 at 08:18 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground

Halls of the Grotto's King

Tewi's elbows rest on the table, his fingers entwined beneath his chin as the others rise. "Alternately," he muses softly, "you wonder if we, too, would like to save ourselves from the chaos above..." And then Ophelia drew her weapon, cast her light upon the hall, and laid out her grand vision, and Tewi found himself feeling... disappointed.

What was it he'd been expecting from her, exactly, that he should be disappointed when she showed herself so much the Solar? It wasn't even, he realized, much different from sentiments she had expressed before. Just a slight change in attitude. Had he, perhaps, been filtering her previous words through his initial impression of her, back in the Tower? Subconsciously glad to have found one who didn't match his expectations, wanting to keep believing she really was like that?

Was she still? Why was he still hoping?

He sits, unmoving, between white and red, orichalcum and gold. Two visions of the world to come, drawing forth the springs of future rivers. A third river flowing above their heads, charting its own course as it always had. He needed to do the same, he supposed. As he always had. Even if... well... no, put that aside for now.

"Things are changin' up above, for sure," he begins, keeping his voice calm and level, a counterpoint to the grand passion of his dinner companions. Looking at no one in particular, gaze drifting back and forth. "The Manse of Echoes Ascending turns her gaze to the bringers of hope, seeking joy and beauty amidst the strife and upheaval. The empire of the Sigil Dreamer begins to spread new ideals down to its roots, the tone of its influence changing in subtle ways, yet impossible not to notice for those it touches for the better. Will this bring war?" He snorts softly.

"When has there ever been peace? But the shape is changin', bit by bit. 'Course, that don't mean I'm not intrigued by your refuge. You say it's not yet complete; what does finishing it mean? We got here through Bostvade, so there's still a connection there. I assume that would have to go, but if it does, what sustains this place? Once a part of Bostvade, you say, but how would you cut it off?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

13. - Top - End - #1483

The Looking Glass

The Solar shrugged, batting aside the accusation thrown at her by the jadeborn.

'I do not make a habit of speaking with those I am to kill' she murmured, her eyes again trying to looking deeper into the forge. 'I don't want to kill you, because you saved someone very dear to me. And told me something I should have known already.'

The knife returned to existence, and she placed it on a nearby table, balanced on the tip.

'She was a kindness while I was a stranger to her. She saved me... I don't really care about her motives. She did. I promised her something then, I promised her protection' she shook her head, full of sorrow. 'You know how it went. And now you tell me that the man who promised me future is the one responsible for that. And for both deeds, I am in debt to you. Your life, I spare in spite of the order.'

Crossroads

The demons were an uniform bunch.

And Ara recognized them.

Perhaps it sent a jolt of fear down her spine, a nasty shiver understanding that what she was facing was not much like the many denizens of Malfeas - but still a part of the macabre picture of the Demon City.

Shadows they were, from shadows cut. But not the shadows of light, not the ones cast by the Dragon while he eclipses even the unfathomable brightness of the Emerald Sun. They were from a different kind of light cut; they were what remained of lives snuffed so suddenly.

There is always a trace, there is always a mark left. Nothing that dies goes without a tombstone, and even the Yozis can't change that.

The destruction of the layer was both savage and abrupt, and after many a demon all that remained was a linger shadow, still gleaming with shards of sentience, but ones that collapsed slowly as this false continuation of existence dragged on.

As Ara spoke her piece, she realized that they were not hearing her, no. The shades, the apparitions, hungered for the warmth of life, but could no longer comprehend it. And their claws, sharpened in the pain of dying, were quite keen indeed.
    Last edited by Gargulec; 2013-07-01 at 06:59 PM.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #1484

Crossroads

Oh... that bode ill. Ara'Desirae, like all of the Sukari, were creatures of life. Sure demonic life sure, but life all the same. The shadows of those that had passed on were an anathema to her, and were unsettling for most of her sisters.

"Sorry," Ara'Desirae says with an uneasy. "Thought you were all someone else." With that she dives downwards calling out to those below. "Time for us to move... and move quickly." She doesn't slow, she doesn't hesitate, she simply grabs Zeka and dive into the uncovered opening that they had just opened.
    Last edited by Myllinnia; 2013-07-01 at 07:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1485

Crossroads

"Whaaa-Eeeeep?" Zeka looked confused as Ara grabbed her out of midair and took her tumbling down into the dark. What where they running from? It didn't matter really. She'd learned that as well, when someone said 'run' it was often best not to question the running part and just get on with it. Right now seemed one of those times, and so Zeka made it a point not to struggle, and let Ara fly her somewhere that was hopefully much safer then where they had just been.
    Last edited by DrakeRaids; 2013-07-01 at 07:15 PM.
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

16. - Top - End - #1486

Looking Glass
    Jania's expression didn't soften in the least at the Solar's declaration, though a few small movements - a few tensed muscles loosening - still gave away the Jadeborn's relief. "...And what will you do now? That man will not give up, simply because one assassin failed to finish the job. The service of a solar is too valuable for that. If she means so much to you, sparing me is meaningless in the end." And, though she didn't see much need to say it, now he knew where she was. Or at least close. Jade had found her too quickly for anything else to be the case. The next attack would come even sooner, and Forsaken Sword would not stop until Arriana was back in his clutches.

It was becoming more and more imperative that she locate allies. The Jadeborn warriors would be her first priority, but as proud of her kind as she may be, Jania had no illusions about them standing up to an exalt without access to their infrastructure back in Creation.