New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Hello and welcome, one and all, to the very first Ponythread Learns to Draw thread. The purpose of this thread is fairly simple - it's a collaborative effort to improve our art skills by posting sketches, line drawings, digital artwork, paintings, etc. and providing advice, constructive criticism and encouragement to one another.

Who Can Post?

Anyone! Although I'll be plugging this thread hardest in the My Little Pony threads in the Media Discussions section of the forum, if anyone wants to post their art here for comments and review, they're more than welcome!

The one suggested rule I have is that if at all possible, along with your post of your own art, please try and provide helpful or encouraging comments to at least one other poster. You don't have to deconstruct their entire technique and write a book about things, but please try and find something you really like, or something you notice that you've struggled with in the past and point it out to them.

What Can We Draw?

Draw anything that inspires you! Although my own work will probably focus on ponies and other cartoon art, the purpose of this thread is to draw, and it's easiest to draw things you like. Thus, feel free to post pictures of people, stick figures, dragons, landscapes, ponies, still life pieces, or anything that makes you want to draw.

But I'm Not a Good Artist

Coincidentally, neither am I! I haven't drawn in years, but I was challenged to do so recently, and I found out that I can make things I'm actually pleased with using only patience, a good eraser, and a model that doesn't move too much.

Also, since the goal of this thread is to LEARN, there's nothing too insignificant to post! Even if you only have 15 minutes to sketch up some stick figures or rough out a character at the end of the day, go ahead and post it. Practice makes perfect, and you learn something every day. There's nowhere to go but up in your abilities!

So try and practice every day, and post your results here! We'll be waiting with open arms and (hopefully) helpful tips.

I go!

*pops back around corner*

Still standing there? Wondering what to draw to get started? Well, I have just the thing, courtesy of a link supplied by the Great and Powerful Trixie! Check out the spoiler box below:

Art Challenges

Spoiler
    Show
    MyLP Challenge:

Do you want to try your hand at something fun? Feeling need to draw fanart? How about trying MyLP Challenge?

What it is? Just click on the linked template.

How does that work? Don't be scared, just complete the template to the best of your ability. Have one two three four examples made by other ponies

Starting thread and more examples can be found here.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-11-01 at 07:44 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

So, to get the ball rolling, I'll go ahead and post some things I drew recently. These are the first things I've really tried to draw in years, and the fact that I don't completely hate them, and got very nice feedback on the pony threads when I showed them is what inspired me to start this thread.

First, some disapproving Twilight:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thoughts: I really don't like how the eyes turned out in this one. They're too small and the irises and pupils are wonky. Still, I think the rest of the head turned out ok, although the proportions might be a little off. I'd link the picture I sketched it from, but it was a screencap macro with non-board appropriate language.

Second, have a happy Pinkie Pie:
    Spoiler
    Show

The original:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thoughts: I like this one more than the Twilight one, although the eyes are still off. Pinkie's hair is really fun to draw, although a little intimidating at first...

Finally, some smug Rainbow Dash:
    Spoiler
    Show

The original (mild language, darn you macros!):
    Spoiler
    Show

Thoughts: I tried to cheat with closed eyes, but then I found out that wings and legs are hard! I still think the perspective is a bit off on the three forward legs, but not terribly so. Also, I'm fairly happy with how the wings turned out (guide lines for the win!)

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Since all my art is borderline plagiarism, I probably won't be posting any here too often. But I look forward to seeing what everyone else has to offer.
    Awesome avatar was by kpenguin. Until Photobucket decided to kill it. Whoops. New avatar isn't by kippy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    Since all my art is borderline plagiarism, I probably won't be posting any here too often. But I look forward to seeing what everyone else has to offer.
    Don't worry about it! You can see everything I drew above was cribbed directly from MLP:FiM. As long as you're presenting the work you personally drew, even if it's of someone else's character/landscape/work, and you acknowledge that and use it as a way to learn, you should be protected under fair-use laws.

Also, you can't plagiarize stick figures! Start with some of those!

@V: Excellent! Go for it! Regarding the scanner, if you have a digital camera, or a friend with one, you can try using that to upload your art.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-10-30 at 10:57 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I will attempt to participate in this, but not having a scanner will make it difficult. x.x I'm also taking a shot in the dark and trying to get my not-girlfriend, who is a much better artist than I am, involved.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Alrighty then, I got no response whatsoever when I posted in the ponythread itself, maybe I'll get a little more feedback here.

@DD: You're first few attempts are looking good! May I ask, though, if you are using guidelines/stick figures to draw? It really helps, especially when positioning the eyes, which you mentioned having trouble with. You'll notice below, of course, that I didn't follow my own advice too well, hence why I'm mentioning it now.

Anywho, here's a sketch I did for a halloween costume contest thingy. Twilight, Derpy and Carrot Top as the Spanish Equestrian Inquisition from Monty Python:

Spoiler
    Show

And the inked/coloured version:
    Spoiler
    Show

My thoughts on these: First up, I had to make quite a few edits when inking. Twilight's face was completely messed up, mostly because the far side of her face was sticking out too much. Derpy's eyes were too big and I forgot her ears too. I also had to redo Carrot Top's headgear (It was just a hat at first, but on rewatching the sketch, it should've been a hood). CT's muzzle also looks a little off to me.

My biggest mistake though? Being lazy with the legs. I didn't do a full stick figure pose underneath (just did it roughly) and I paid for it with misproportioned, mispositioned limbs (especially on Twilight. Look at those back legs. Ugh).

Still I'm happy with it.

My advice to anyone who wants to draw ponies? References. Everywhere. All the time.
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2011-10-30 at 02:36 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by byaku rai View Post
    I will attempt to participate in this, but not having a scanner will make it difficult. x.x I'm also taking a shot in the dark and trying to get my not-girlfriend, who is a much better artist than I am, involved.
    Do you have a camera? Works much better.

For drawings that I want to vectorize I only use my camera.

I use the scanner for documents only.

And... I guess I'll join in? :/

Sure, I'll post ponies, I need help with drawing ponies anyway.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Here's a sketch of AJ as a human I did a while back. I was doodling the mane 6 as humans, trying a new style, and was really happy with how AJ turned out. Fluttershy and RD were OK too, but needed more work. The rest were... not great.

Maybe some day I'll take another stab at the rest of them, but for now...

Spoiler
    Show

You know, I'm not really a fan of AJ, but here she kinda looks cool

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    Do you have a camera? Works much better.

For drawings that I want to vectorize I only use my camera.

I use the scanner for documents only.

And... I guess I'll join in? :/

Sure, I'll post ponies, I need help with drawing ponies anyway.
    Only the really sucky one on my phone, and no way to get that from phone to computer because my phone is /retarded/. ^^'' Oh well.

@DH: not bad. =) I don't really know what to say as a critique, so I'll stick with It's better than I could do right now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

A few thoughts to go along with my own post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I'm not sure how show-accurate you're shooting for, but making the strokes a darker color than the fill, rather than pure black is a relatively small thing you could do to get there. The show also uses thicker strokes. If you're trying to go for your own unique style, just disregard that :)

Twilight's leg, the one she's holding up looks like it might have too many joints or is just a little too long. It looks a little like she's wearing sleeves or socks which are too long.

Don't know what else I can offer. Looks pretty good.

11. - Top - End - #11

I wanna try! I Wanna Try!
    Oh, um, Hi guys.
    I'll start by looking at art. here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Here's a sketch of AJ as a human I did a while back. I was doodling the mane 6 as humans, trying a new style, and was really happy with how AJ turned out. Fluttershy and RD were OK too, but needed more work. The rest were... not great.

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

I like it. =) though, she has no hands...? 0_0 (Not that I'm saying anything. I've tried to draw hands. They do not like to work with you, at all)!

Alrighty then, I got no response whatsoever when I posted in the ponythread itself, maybe I'll get a little more feedback here.

@DD: You're first few attempts are looking good! May I ask, though, if you are using guidelines/stick figures to draw? It really helps, especially when positioning the eyes, which you mentioned having trouble with. You'll notice below, of course, that I didn't follow my own advice too well, hence why I'm mentioning it now.

Anywho, here's a sketch I did for a halloween costume contest thingy. Twilight, Derpy and Carrot Top as the Spanish Equestrian Inquisition from Monty Python:

Spoiler
    Show
    *Snip*

Spoiler
    Show
    *Snip*

My thoughts on these: First up, I had to make quite a few edits when inking. Twilight's face was completely messed up, mostly because the far side of her face was sticking out too much. Derpy's eyes were too big and I forgot her ears too. I also had to redo Carrot Top's headgear (It was just a hat at first, but on rewatching the sketch, it should've been a hood). CT's muzzle also looks a little off to me.

My biggest mistake though? Being lazy with the legs. I didn't do a full stick figure pose underneath (just did it roughly) and I payed for it with misproportioned, mispositioned limbs (especially on Twilight. Look at those back legs. Ugh).

Still I'm happy with it.

My advice to anyone who wants to draw ponies? References. Everywhere. All the time.
    NOBODY EXPECT THE EQUESTRIAN INQUISITION! Love it, mate! Legs, well, like you said. I'm no art expert, so, I really just want to make sure I say something about other art first before I expect any for mine.

How did you color it? Did you use a computer program, or...?

Here's a few things I've worked on recently. a little hard to see, since I took the picture with my phone. They're not ponies (No, that comes next alongside my story)! but just drawing attempts.

Swingset at my local park:
    Spoiler
    Show

Self-Portrait!
    Spoiler
    Show

Ha-ha! I am hidden behind my goggles!

So far as I can tell, it's really making shadows that I suck at (Well, my Depth perception, perspective, coloring, and attention span [so as to insure I work longer than an hour] really need some work too, but)!
    I also hate how I drew my teeth -_-** they look nothing like that (Not really, I don't think... I don't know! I don't study them daily! ) the beard looks a little off, but I'm serious when I say that's how it looked at the time!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw, man, I'm really going to have to go through with this, aren't I?

I really like that picture, Diego. It's nice. I hope learn how to talk about this stuff more intelligently later.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-10-30 at 12:34 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    I like it. =) though, she has no hands...? 0_0 (Not that I'm saying anything. I've tried to draw hands. They do not like to work with you, at all)!
    Thanks :) The lack of hands (and feet) is intentional, I wanted a simple, cartoonish style.

Your portrait makes me think you could make a bit of a villain Maybe that's the glasses and... hood?

14. - Top - End - #14

Hmm... This looks like an awesome idea. Not that I'd ever actually join in; every time I've ever attempted artwork, it has always ended in fire and tree sap. To be honest, I'm already intimidated by the quality of the work posted so far.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

15. - Top - End - #15

Thanks :) The lack of hands (and feet) is intentional, I wanted a simple, cartoonish style.

Your portrait makes me think you could make a bit of a villain Maybe that's the glasses and... hood?
    Yay for simple cartoon style! =D

As to being called a villain... Muwahahaha.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
    I would so be willing to be a villain in a show... especially since that means I could be on T.V! =)

wait... no hands and feet...
    Spoiler
    Show

And Lauren Faust was involved with it...

Coincidence? No, Fate has brought you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Hmm... This looks like an awesome idea. Not that I'd ever actually join in; every time I've ever attempted artwork, it has always ended in fire and tree sap. To be honest, I'm already intimidated by the quality of the work posted so far.
    Intimidated? 0-0 come now; I'm sure anything you can make will be just as good.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Anything we can do, you can do... too (maybe better )

Don't be intimidated, be inspired

wait... no hands and feet...
    Spoiler
    Show

And Lauren Faust was involved with it...

Coincidence? No, Fate has brought you here.
    Huh, cool. I doubt it's the first time people have drawn in a similar style, though. I'm not exactly trying to be greatly original

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm trying to draw a lineup of the main cast, for a larger scene with original characters, but unlike OCs, these present a problem, in that they have an established look, which I have to replicate.

I'd like some pointers here, maybe some traits or features I've missed, or things I drew wrong. Don't pay attention to the sketchiness, this is just a sketch before proper drawing. Pointers on wrong anatomy would also be useful, because for me at least, wings seem to be the new hands, and ponies in general are still a rather new item.

Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I'm trying to draw a lineup of the main cast, for a larger scene with original characters, but unlike OCs, these present a problem, in that they have an established look, which I have to replicate.

I'd like some pointers here, maybe some traits or features I've missed, or things I drew wrong. Don't pay attention to the sketchiness, this is just a sketch before proper drawing. Pointers on wrong anatomy would also be useful, because for me at least, wings seem to be the new hands, and ponies in general are still a rather new item.

One thing that struck me. Your ponies look rather meatier (fatter?) than the style from the show. It's especially apparent with Twilight at the end. Spike also seems off for some reason which I cannot pinpoint.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My biggest mistake though? Being lazy with the legs. I didn't do a full stick figure pose underneath (just did it roughly) and I payed for it with misproportioned, mispositioned limbs (especially on Twilight. Look at those back legs. Ugh).

Still I'm happy with it.

Aaaah! I totally meant to comment on this in the thread! Forgive me for being a derp, and I will comment on it now.

So, Deadly had a good point about lines I think, if you're going for show accuracy. Also, you're right that references are important; I think for legs and wings, they're doubly so, at least until you've drawn quite a few of them!

That said, I do really like this picture; it's a fun crossover and Derpy as an Inquisitor makes me smile.

Re: guide lines - Yeah, I learned that lesson after drawing Twilight and Pinkie...I did use them on RD's head though, and it definitely made me feel more confident about eye placement and size. I totally encourage everyone to use them in the roughing out stage!

Spoiler
    Show

I like the hair on this one, it really seems to fit AJ. The chibi style is also fun; I've been thinking that in the future I want to branch out into drawing more general cartoon/anime-style art. Do you have any suggestions for cartoon-specific styles, since there seems to be a huge array of possibilities?

Here's a few things I've worked on recently. a little hard to see, since I took the picture with my phone. They're not ponies (No, that comes next alongside my story)! but just drawing attempts.

Spoiler
    Show

Self-Portrait!
    Spoiler
    Show

So far as I can tell, it's really making shadows that I suck at (Well, my Depth perception, perspective, coloring, and attention span [so as to insure I work longer than an hour] really need some work too, but)!
    I also hate how I drew my teeth -_-** they look nothing like that (Not really, I don't think... I don't know! I don't study them daily! ) the beard looks a little off, but I'm serious when I say that's how it looked at the time!
    The swing set looks very nice! I think you got the perspective on it spot on. There are some things in the background that could be tweaked a bit to give the whole picture a more unified sense of perspective though, as it looks a bit skewed overall, but that could just be my eyes...Also, I commend you for posting something non-pony! I want to remind everyone that they're free to post whatever they like here (so long as it's board appropriate, of course).

I really like the self portrait as well. There's something in the face and goggles that makes it seem very expressive. Also the beard is quite well-done! I don't know much about shading and depth when it comes to drawing from life, so I don't know that I can help you there, except to encourage you to keep practicing

I will say in regard to time that there is a noticeable difference in quality between something you work at for an hour and something you work at for two hours, but I understand the attention span issue. My advice would be to do things in stages - rough in first, then walk away, then come back and add details, then chat for a while, then go back and refine, etc... You don't have to finish in a single drawing session, or even a single day.

Also, everyone please feel free to post works in progress here as well! That way, we might be able to offer advice as things come together, and you won't have to feel like you MUST FINISH TONIGHT OR ELSE!

No, no! Don't think that way! The thread isn't about being the best, or even being good; it's about learning. Even if you post stick figures or stick ponies, you'll learn something about posing and roughing out a sketch, and that's a valuable step toward more complicated things!

The only person that can keep you from being good at drawing is you! We're all just here to encourage you and provide another set of eyes and experiences to help guide you toward improvement! So don't believe the Lie - you can draw, if only you'll put your mind to it!

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    One thing that struck me. Your ponies look rather meatier (fatter?) than the style from the show. It's especially apparent with Twilight at the end. Spike also seems off for some reason which I cannot pinpoint.
    Although I'm not going for show-accurate here, yes, they do seem a little "meatier" now that I look at it again... maybe they just look better to me that way. I'm also proportioning them differently, maybe that's the cause - in which case it's all as intended.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2011-10-30 at 02:12 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I like the hair on this one, it really seems to fit AJ. The chibi style is also fun; I've been thinking that in the future I want to branch out into drawing more general cartoon/anime-style art. Do you have any suggestions for cartoon-specific styles, since there seems to be a huge array of possibilities?
    Thanks. Sadly I can't offer much in the form of advice, I'm still new to this myself. All I can think of is the obvious: Look around for inspiration and experiment with different ideas.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by byaku rai View Post
    @DH: not bad. =) I don't really know what to say as a critique, so I'll stick with It's better than I could do right now.
    Thanks very much! Yeah, sometimes it's hard to give a critique. Especially when we're all still learning.

A few thoughts to go along with my own post:

I'm not sure how show-accurate you're shooting for, but making the strokes a darker color than the fill, rather than pure black is a relatively small thing you could do to get there. The show also uses thicker strokes. If you're trying to go for your own unique style, just disregard that :)

Twilight's leg, the one she's holding up looks like it might have too many joints or is just a little too long. It looks a little like she's wearing sleeves or socks which are too long.

Don't know what else I can offer. Looks pretty good.
    Re: Show accuracy. For this one I was mostly going for a quick colouring, nothing fancy. I agree that the lines could stand to be a little thicker, but one thing I've noticed is that the line width on the show is not uniform. It widens and thickens depending on which parts are being drawn, and right now I have no idea how to replicate that using computer programs.

Re: The leg. Ah yeah, I can see that now. Didn't really notice before, but it does look too long now. Again, skipping on the framework was not a good idea.

Thanks very much ^^

NOBODY EXPECT THE EQUESTRIAN INQUISITION! Love it, mate! Legs, well, like you said. I'm no art expert, so, I really just want to make sure I say something about other art first before I expect any for mine.

How did you color it? Did you use a computer program, or...?
    I used Flash CS5.5 for the colouring. I find that doing the lines there is easier than using Photoshop. I've heard good things about Inkscape, but I've never really had a chance to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I really like that picture, Diego. It's nice. I hope learn how to talk about this stuff more intelligently later.
    Thanks very much ^^

Aaaah! I totally meant to comment on this in the thread! Forgive me for being a derp, and I will comment on it now.

So, Deadly had a good point about lines I think, if you're going for show accuracy. Also, you're right that references are important; I think for legs and wings, they're doubly so, at least until you've drawn quite a few of them!

That said, I do really like this picture; it's a fun crossover and Derpy as an Inquisitor makes me smile.

Re: guide lines - Yeah, I learned that lesson after drawing Twilight and Pinkie...I did use them on RD's head though, and it definitely made me feel more confident about eye placement and size. I totally encourage everyone to use them in the roughing out stage!
    It's okay, I know that things can get lost in ponythread, though I did post during a slow time. Still, no biggie.

Yeah, I've tried drawing wings. Good grief! This is something I did ages ago, completely in Flash. It looks good, but it took me ages. Oh, and do you know how hard it is to draw a pony sitting down? From the front!?
    Spoiler
    Show

But yeah, references and guidelines are a big help. I had at least 4-5 references up for doing the above picture. When I get a chance I'll post the sketches I did while trying to get the wings right, maybe it will help others.

Spoiler
    Show

Self-Portrait!
    Spoiler
    Show

These are looking good to me! I can't critique too much as I am rubbish at realistic images (I have no desire to draw them. Real life is not interesting :P inb4 "life drawing classes are essential") If you're worried about depth and perspective though, try drawing out vanishing point lines. I can't really explain too well myself so here's a guide I found after googling: http://www.wikihow.com/Draw-Perspective

I've been beaten to it, but it bears repeating: The point of this topic is to learn how to draw. Together. You can always do better. If it's one thing I can say it's that no one here will laugh at you or deride you. We want to help you.

It's looking good. I think someone made a point about them looking a little thicker, and yes that shows. Spike looks rather muscular, I must say :^^. The perspective is good, though Twi looks a little bit taller than the rest.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Re: Show accuracy. For this one I was mostly going for a quick colouring, nothing fancy. I agree that the lines could stand to be a little thicker, but one thing I've noticed is that the line width on the show is not uniform. It widens and thickens depending on which parts are being drawn, and right now I have no idea how to replicate that using computer programs.
    What program do you use? I'm only familiar with Inkscape, but the principle should be the same: You make two shapes with no actual strokes, one the color of the outline and one the color of the fill, then you stack the fill-shape above the outline-shape so that only the actual outline is visible behind it. That way you can make the outline whatever crazy, uneven shape you wish.

At least, that's how I've ended up doing it.

Hope my explanation makes sense.

24. - Top - End - #24

They're a bit more... buff than the ponies in the show. And the necks are longer. Spike looks like he's ready to punch someone.

25. - Top - End - #25

It's looking good. I think someone made a point about them looking a little thicker, and yes that shows. Spike looks rather muscular, I must say :^^. The perspective is good, though Twi looks a little bit taller than the rest.
    I must be used to the humanoid limb thickness proportions. I've pulled up an equine anatomy chart, and now I also notice the forelegs should be thinner. Okay, that seems an easy fix. Anything else? In particular, I've been wrestling (figuratively) with Fluttershy's look far longer than necessary, and it still seems odd to me.

Spike is off because I drew him completely from memory, again adding a touch of my personal brand of "realism". :) I'll pull up a good reference episode and redraw him.

ninja edit: The necks are longer because I'm proportioning them differently, slightly away from the regular "cartoonish" designs. I'm not going to be using the show's "Flash-y" colored outlines, and the less realistic designs look far worse with thin black outline.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2011-10-30 at 03:32 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

It's okay, I know that things can get lost in ponythread, though I did post during a slow time. Still, no biggie.

Yeah, I've tried drawing wings. Good grief! This is something I did ages ago, completely in Flash. It looks good, but it took me ages. Oh, and do you know how hard it is to draw a pony sitting down? From the front!?
    Spoiler
    Show

But yeah, references and guidelines are a big help. I had at least 4-5 references up for doing the above picture. When I get a chance I'll post the sketches I did while trying to get the wings right, maybe it will help others.
    Definitely post the wing sketches! They are decidedly hard to draw, and so I think all the collective knowledge we can muster for them will be important!

I'm also thinking about throwing together a little 'how DD approaches drawing ponies' series of images once I get a bit more comfortable, both to encourage and guide the couple of really nervous lurkers we seem to have, and so I can get critique on my early-stage roughing in techniques, since that's where mistakes can haunt you later, it seems... For those of you that feel a bit more experienced with pony (and general) art, I'd love to see your own versions - a set of pictures showing your progression from initial concept sketch to finished product.

I must be used to the humanoid limb thickness proportions. I've pulled up an equine anatomy chart, and now I also notice the forelegs should be thinner. Okay, that seems an easy fix. Anything else? In particular, I've been wrestling (figuratively) with Fluttershy's look far longer than necessary, and it still seems odd to me.

Spike is off because I drew him completely from memory, again adding a touch of my personal brand of "realism". :) I'll pull up a good reference episode and redraw him.

ninja edit: The necks are longer because I'm proportioning them differently, slightly away from the regular "cartoonish" designs. I'm not going to be using the show's "Flash-y" colored outlines, and the less realistic designs look far worse with thin black outline.
    My one suggestion would be to consider going with a wing style closer to the show's for the pegasi. Although your wings look good, the fact that the top of the wing is angled rather than straight comes out a bit odd on the finished product of a semi-cartoon style pony - I think it looks a bit too realistic, for lack of a better word. I sort of think that a straight wing top and more of a fan-shape would still convey the feel you want, but look a bit more natural on the body style you're using.

EDIT: Alternatively, you might keep the current style, but make the wings a bit longer and 'poofier' so they look a little more filled out.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-10-30 at 04:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

My one suggestion would be to consider going with a wing style closer to the show's for the pegasi. Although your wings look good, the fact that the top of the wing is angled rather than straight comes out a bit odd on the finished product of a semi-cartoon style pony - I think it looks a bit too realistic, for lack of a better word. I sort of think that a straight wing top and more of a fan-shape would still convey the feel you want, but look a bit more natural on the body style you're using.

EDIT: Alternatively, you might keep the current style, but make the wings a bit longer and 'poofier' so they look a little more filled out.
    Well, there's a grand total of one other way I have ever drawn wings (i.e. here), so I might try using that.

Better?
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Well, there's a grand total of one other way I have ever drawn wings (i.e. here), so I might try using that.

Better?
    To my eye, that does look better. In fact, you might consider making the feathers even a bit longer and 'swoopier', but that might just be personal preference talking. I definitely do like this style better than the previous one; it looks more natural

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

What program do you use? I'm only familiar with Inkscape, but the principle should be the same: You make two shapes with no actual strokes, one the color of the outline and one the color of the fill, then you stack the fill-shape above the outline-shape so that only the actual outline is visible behind it. That way you can make the outline whatever crazy, uneven shape you wish.

At least, that's how I've ended up doing it.

Hope my explanation makes sense.
    Um... sorta? ^-^: You mean, instead of using the built-in lines, copy the fill and expand it? Seems awfully fiddly.

Using Flash CS5.5.

Definitely post the wing sketches! They are decidedly hard to draw, and so I think all the collective knowledge we can muster for them will be important!
    I'll try and get them for tomorrow when I can use my parents' scanner. The key thing I noted was that when stretched out the tips of the feathers make a sort of semi-circle shape. It helps to get the lengths right. You'll see what I mean.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm about done with my first one (a sketch of a person), but I've run into a problem. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for drawing ears? Or, better, is there anyone here who's good at drawing them and who could run me through the process?

They keep coming out looking like hurricanes somehow.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.