New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

I have no problem extending the deadline, I just didn't want to be swamped with a dozen different images and suddenly be put into the position of letting 11 people down.

I guess it was a little arrogant of me to think you guys could just whip something up in a weekend, take your time if you're interested
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Tentacle View Post
    That's a really good improvement I just had two little Suggestions. The line indicating the bridge of the nose should not come from the outside of the nostril you could have a shadow start from here but I wouldn't use a hard line in that position. Try moving that line a little closer towards the centre of the face. The other note was on the lip, try to make the upper lip a bit more organic, yours came out a little boxy oh and don't forget to strongly indicate the shape of the lower lip. Looks a little odd otherwise. Overall good effort.
    Spoiler
    Show

Finished drawing a few hooters.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move the bridge of the nose in, make the bottom lip stronger, top lip more organic. Got it! Thanks.

Those are some very nice hooters indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Something different today, tried to imagine Bleakbane as a pony princess. Way sketchy as always, too little time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahahaha! Has he seen it yet? I can't wait for his reaction XD

(note to self, must learn to draw skeletons at some point)

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Day 44, Or why I don't draw machines.
    Broken link. Allow me!

I laughed at Ramjet. The idea of Cybertronian tacos is just abserb enough for my tastes :P

I think Cheerilee looks good, and Diamond is okay, save for the mouth, which looks like it's at the wrong angle. I think.

---

Day 120. Diego Havoc Pony (I guess I'll need to think up a pony name for him?). Not sure I got the hat right, what with the horn there. I guess I could put a hole in the hat for the horn? Or just tilt the hat back.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 121. Had some fun with this.
    Spoiler
    Show

2.30pm "Okay, I'm going to try an OotS style character. Let me just open the comic up so that I can get some references."

4.00pm "Hahaha! Elan, you're so silly!.. Wait, wasn't I supposed to be doing something?"

True story.

Day 122 (today). Her name is Sweet Dreams. Got the back legs all wrong because I didn't use references. I shouldn't wait until 10.30pm before doing my daily drawing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I have no problem extending the deadline, I just didn't want to be swamped with a dozen different images and suddenly be put into the position of letting 11 people down.

I guess it was a little arrogant of me to think you guys could just whip something up in a weekend, take your time if you're interested
    Alright! I'll try to brainstorm up something good. It has been awhile since I made a real bona fide stab at picture, with scenery and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Broken link. Allow me!

I laughed at Ramjet. The idea of Cybertronian tacos is just abserb enough for my tastes :P

I think Cheerilee looks good, and Diamond is okay, save for the mouth, which looks like it's at the wrong angle. I think.
    I was sure it was working! At least it shows up on my computer... I edited the post, it should show up for everyone.

Your right about Diamond's mouth. Need to work on this.

---

Day 120. Diego Havoc Pony (I guess I'll need to think up a pony name for him?). Not sure I got the hat right, what with the horn there. I guess I could put a hole in the hat for the horn? Or just tilt the hat back.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

2.30pm "Okay, I'm going to try an OotS style character. Let me just open the comic up so that I can get some references."

4.00pm "Hahaha! Elan, you're so silly!.. Wait, wasn't I supposed to be doing something?"

True story.

Day 122 (today). Her name is Sweet Dreams. Got the back legs all wrong because I didn't use references. I shouldn't wait until 10.30pm before doing my daily drawing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the Diego Havoc pony it probably depends on how big you want the hat. Pony headwear has always confused me. Is the non-brim fit on head hat part (sorry, my hat terminology is lacking) supposed to fit on the head, or ride it like AJ's hat? If you look at Rarity's hat in Sweet and Elite, or her father's, unlike AJ's hat the hats are actually pressed down on their skulls. And actually look like they could stay on. Because of this, the hat/cap part is actually pretty large area wise. Both are rather tall, probably for the horn to fit in.
    I'm just throwing this out there.

The OOTstyle one is avatar worthy. I need to actually make an avatar...
    Sweet Dreams? Finally a cutie mark I can imagine earning!

I drew today, I just didn't have time to finish it. I'll get to that tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Colossus in the Playground

The OOTstyle one is avatar worthy. I need to actually make an avatar...
    I'll make the offer of an avatar design if you're interested; I've done a fair few around the ponythreads.

5. - Top - End - #815

Ahahaha! Has he seen it yet? I can't wait for his reaction XD
    Seeing as you first see it here, I doubt it. It's likely gotten lost in the maelstrom of ponythread posts. I might work on it some more, once I get some decent-er references.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, tilt the hat back a little, and make it a little larger. Not much else to comment on though.

Spoiler
    Show

True story.

I'd say worthy, though needs some sort of story to it. I can't really judge OOTSatars too well, the style is fairly specific but flexible enough for a lot of things to look acceptable. That one looks neat.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say you got more than just the back legs wrong, but they do seem to be a big problem in the design. Another big one is the head's position/orientation in relation to the body. I don't know why, but your picture gives the impression that Sweet Dreams has no neck. Like, at all. The head can be positioned like that, but not at the angle the body seems to lie, and... well, it just looks wrong in general. In other words, needs work.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

On the Diego Havoc pony it probably depends on how big you want the hat. Pony headwear has always confused me. Is the non-brim fit on head hat part (sorry, my hat terminology is lacking) supposed to fit on the head, or ride it like AJ's hat? If you look at Rarity's hat in Sweet and Elite, or her father's, unlike AJ's hat the hats are actually pressed down on their skulls. And actually look like they could stay on. Because of this, the hat/cap part is actually pretty large area wise. Both are rather tall, probably for the horn to fit in.
    I'm just throwing this out there.
    I had another go, tilting the hat back. I should have made the hat bigger, but frankly I'm tired today, and am already sick of fussing over the hat right now.

Day 123. I think.
    Spoiler
    Show

Flim and Flam were a good example of how unicorns wear their hats. Basically titled by 45o back, and worn over the ears.

Seeing as you first see it here, I doubt it. It's likely gotten lost in the maelstrom of ponythread posts. I might work on it some more, once I get some decent-er references.
    I did see it in ponythread, but I couldn't remember if he had responded or not.

I'd say worthy, though needs some sort of story to it. I can't really judge OOTSatars too well, the style is fairly specific but flexible enough for a lot of things to look acceptable. That one looks neat.
    Story? I posted it on the last page. Or do you mean more of a character story?

I'd say you got more than just the back legs wrong, but they do seem to be a big problem in the design. Another big one is the head's position/orientation in relation to the body. I don't know why, but your picture gives the impression that Sweet Dreams has no neck. Like, at all. The head can be positioned like that, but not at the angle the body seems to lie, and... well, it just looks wrong in general. In other words, needs work.
    Crud. I didn't even notice that, but you are right. Also those forelegs are terrible too.

Ah well.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

7. - Top - End - #817
    Pixie in the Playground

Didn't know what to draw today so did a sketchy drawing of Diego, I really like the guy and his hat. I do not like the positioning of the arms on the torso though so decided to do a few study sketches to get a better feel for arms. Too tired tonight to get into some perspective stuff...ehh I'll get to it some other time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

"Pioneers get shot with arrows"

8. - Top - End - #818
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I'll make the offer of an avatar design if you're interested; I've done a fair few around the ponythreads.
    I'll take you up on your offer! But I don't really know what to request you base the design on... Should it be a pony? Or OOTstyle? I'll have to think on it.

I had another go, tilting the hat back. I should have made the hat bigger, but frankly I'm tired today, and am already sick of fussing over the hat right now.

Day 123. I think.
    Spoiler
    Show

Flim and Flam were a good example of how unicorns wear their hats. Basically titled by 45o back, and worn over the ears.
    This seems to work best as it doesn't hide his head and face as much either.

Didn't know what to draw today so did a sketchy drawing of Diego, I really like the guy and his hat. I do not like the positioning of the arms on the torso though so decided to do a few study sketches to get a better feel for arms. Too tired tonight to get into some perspective stuff...ehh I'll get to it some other time.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's always fun to see someone else running with another's concept!
    It's like Diego Havoc, but I'm getting some marvel/DC/Conan the Barbarian illustrations vibes from it. It's probably the heroic pose with scarf in the wind.

Day 45-46, Twilight! Dance! And celery stalk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dancing Twilight(s), with a Twilight head eating AJ's fabled celery stalk. Actually that didn't come out right. Never mind.
    Anyway, the Samurai-Equestria Twilight needs more fluidity in her dancing pose. Other dancing Twilight just seems to be leaning about like a bag in the wind. There's some movement there, but movement leading to what exactly? But live and learn.
    The dancing expressions are all based off of Twilight from Sweet and Elite.

9. - Top - End - #819

I'll take you up on your offer! But I don't really know what to request you base the design on... Should it be a pony? Or OOTstyle? I'll have to think on it.
    I did Minimalism Week about a hundred days back; my non-pony chibi style has a lot of reference over this and the next few pages of my drawthread. I could do that, or a ponytar. If the description is vague I take that as a 'Please troll me' request.

10. - Top - End - #820

Spoiler
    Show
    Dancing Twilight(s), with a Twilight head eating AJ's fabled celery stalk. Actually that didn't come out right. Never mind.
    Anyway, the Samurai-Equestria Twilight needs more fluidity in her dancing pose. Other dancing Twilight just seems to be leaning about like a bag in the wind. There's some movement there, but movement leading to what exactly? But live and learn.

Very cute Twilight head there, and I can definitely see movement in the dancing Twilights. Two 'picks though: Anthro!Twilight's head is an odd shape (or seems to be), and Pony!Twilight is missing a hind leg. Without that other leg to ground her, she looks like she might as well have been punched by someone on the left. Plus, extra rough around the edges, but I shouldn't be one to complain on that.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

11. - Top - End - #821
    Troll in the Playground

Day 123. I think.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hat looks much better!

Spoiler
    Show

Oooh! Very nice! I really need to buckle down and work on some anatomical references...

Spoiler
    Show

Best advice I've found for dynamism is to go crazy in the sketch phase. Draw big, exaggerated, and as smooth as possible. You can always go back/regret later, and fix things when you go to add color, shading, etc. In fact, try over-extending your poses for a bit, just to break stylistic habits...

And now for a vampony update. Modified things a bit, including a wing shift, added lines and color and so forth. Starting to the see the tunnel at the end of the light on this one...or...er...
    Spoiler
    Show
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

12. - Top - End - #822

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    And now for a vampony update. Modified things a bit, including a wing shift, added lines and color and so forth. Starting to the see the tunnel at the end of the light on this one...or...er...
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is definitely turning out a lot better than the initial sketch seemed to imply. Keep at it, it's looking good. Might want to watch where that mane is going though, and maybe toughen up the forelegs (or just the closer one) a little.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems to work best as it doesn't hide his head and face as much either.

It's always fun to see someone else running with another's concept!
    It's like Diego Havoc, but I'm getting some marvel/DC/Conan the Barbarian illustrations vibes from it. It's probably the heroic pose with scarf in the wind.

Spoiler
    Show

I did Minimalism Week about a hundred days back; my non-pony chibi style has a lot of reference over this and the next few pages of my drawthread. I could do that, or a ponytar. If the description is vague I take that as a 'Please troll me' request.
    Do it in chibi-style! Those ones were awesome.

14. - Top - End - #824

Another nonconsecutive day, another non sequitur sketch. Gundam Girls seem all the rage nowadays, so I tried my hand at one.

Spoiler
    Show
    40 to 60 minutes roughly, no specific music.

Anyone who can tell the name of the mech without googling instantly gets 30 nerd points and 50 otaku points, because I've no idea what possessed me to draw this, but it seemed genuinely fitting. (edit: yes, I know, not actually a Gundam, but Gundam Girls is more descriptive of the concept)

Sadly, can't get a good enough reference picture for the mech that suits Luna (or rather, NMM) from the same series.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-05-03 at 09:26 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ahahaha, that's awesome! Did not see that coming. Thank you! That made my day. He's looking pretty badass. Definitely a change from the nerdy looking fella I drew

Incidently, this is the original character from Ragnarok Online:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hm, looks I got the colours all wrong. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid
    Cute! I'll agree with sean though, the forelegs could use a little thickening.

Another nonconsecutive day, another non sequitur sketch. Gundam Girls seem all the rage nowadays, so I tried my hand at one.

Spoiler
    Show
    40 to 60 minutes roughly, no specific music.

Anyone who can tell the name of the mech without googling instantly gets 30 nerd points and 50 otaku points, because I've no idea what possessed me to draw this, but it seemed genuinely fitting. (edit: yes, I know, not actually a Gundam, but Gundam Girls is more descriptive of the concept)

Sadly, can't get a good enough reference picture for the mech that suits Luna (or rather, NMM) from the same series.
    I've no idea what it's from but it looks kinda awesome. I'm trying to work out how the arms go, though. Are those elbows going out to the sides, with the fists(?) in front?

Day 124. She sits at the ready, hooves resting lightly on the keys. The crowd awaits with bated breath. The music plays through her mind. It was time for the performance. Only one thing was holding her back...
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't actually know how to play this..."

And because I spent quite some time on those rear legs, only to hide them behind a stool:
    Spoiler
    Show

References for the back legs: One and Two.

Bugger, I just noticed that I forgot the cutie mark >_<
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

16. - Top - End - #826
    Dwarf in the Playground

I want a blue half-black dragon halfling chibi pony spewing toxic swamp bubbles.
    For the rest of the details, just, like, follow your heart man.
    Spoiler
    Show

I kid, I'll try to think up something.

Very cute Twilight head there, and I can definitely see movement in the dancing Twilights. Two 'picks though: Anthro!Twilight's head is an odd shape (or seems to be), and Pony!Twilight is missing a hind leg. Without that other leg to ground her, she looks like she might as well have been punched by someone on the left. Plus, extra rough around the edges, but I shouldn't be one to complain on that.
    The vanishing backleg! I knew I forgot to draw something back there. Anthro Twi's head is a odd shape... Not too sure how that one happened.
    Need to work on the rough edges. I can fix them but it's a matter of trying to get something colored every weekday. Need to work on speed and actual technique.

*snip*[/spoiler]40 to 60 minutes roughly, no specific music.

Don't know the series, but it looks nice. Can't tell about the arms either, but that may be because I don't know the mech.

Day 124. She sits at the ready, hooves resting lightly on the keys. The crowd awaits with bated breath. The music plays through her mind. It was time for the performance. Only one thing was holding her back...
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    And because I spent quite some time on those rear legs, only to hide them behind a stool:
    Spoiler
    Show

I admit it made me laugh. Plus pony's playing piano with their hooves is inherently funny.
    My nitpicks for the day is that you used a straight line inside of his wings (between the feather part and the whole part... My pony wing terminology is weak) instead of a curved line or three half-ish/quarter circles like they use in the cartoon. This is really nitpicky, but I feel that the picture already has a lot of horizontal lines in it in the furniture, a curved line would break that and make Derpy "pop" out more.
    Also, are you going to shade it?

Thanks for those references!

Day 47, AJ attempts to eat pie on a (anthro sized?) table,

Spoiler
    Show
    Just out of reach like most things in our lives, AJ's attempt to get her sweet is a statement on the human condition. Why must we yearn for pie on a table too big for normal people?!
    Sillyness aside, there isn't much to say. Just a quick doodle and coloring. Ok it really doesn't look like she's really struggling. It actually looks like she just has to reach a little further and take a bite. She's doing the pacman mouth.

17. - Top - End - #827

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Heh, that's pretty nice. You need to remove the vertical line going across the shoulder though, would make the torso look less like a cylinder and would help show that the forelegs are actually attached. Even if it wouldn't be perfectly accurate to their anatomy, I think it'd look much better.

I've no idea what it's from but it looks kinda awesome. I'm trying to work out how the arms go, though. Are those elbows going out to the sides, with the fists(?) in front?
    Don't know the series, but it looks nice. Can't tell about the arms either, but that may be because I don't know the mech.
    Basically, it's this thing. Called "Zeorymer of the Heavens", from the manga series "Hades Project Zeorymer". The elbow-things are going out the sides and backwards. It's not the easiest machine to render into a pony form (and that's not taking into account that it's my first experiment with this king of thing), so making sense of the arms is a futile endeavor. Here is a shot of all the machines from the series, Zeorymer on the center left, and the other mech I wanted to use, Rose C'est La Vie of the Moon, on the image-right of it.

Day 47, AJ attempts to eat pie on a (anthro sized?) table,

Spoiler
    Show
    Just out of reach like most things in our lives, AJ's attempt to get her sweet is a statement on the human condition. Why must we yearn for pie on a table too big for normal people?!
    Sillyness aside, there isn't much to say. Just a quick doodle and coloring. Ok it really doesn't look like she's really struggling. It actually looks like she just has to reach a little further and take a bite. She's doing the pacman mouth.

Indeed not much to say. Nice for a quickie. She seems to have lost one of her freckles to something though.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, finished coloring the previous pony piece. Decided to leave the forelegs the way they were, because it would be a pain to change them, but I'll double check proportions next time.

Spoiler
    Show

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #829

Alright, finished coloring the previous pony piece. Decided to leave the forelegs the way they were, because it would be a pain to change them, but I'll double check proportions next time.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's some slight pixellation and fuzziness of the lines. What resolution did you work on? I find working on much larger canvas sizes tends to reduce that kind of minor error once your resize it down.

Foreleg is a little thin. I'm concerned about the eyes and how they kind of blend into the area around them. Remember: Eyes are never actually a perfect white! Try experimenting with very slight orange/yellow-grey to visually distinguish it from the light blue surrounds? Play around with it.

Good colour scheme, though try some dynamic poses in the future!

20. - Top - End - #830
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's been awhile... but I have some new pieces to put up!

I don't think Im going to try much critiquing... I usually just end up saying "Really nice!" and leaving it at that 0-0*

Spoiler
    Show

Partway through a drawing inspired by a story im hoping to get written in the sometime near future.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

There's some slight pixellation and fuzziness of the lines. What resolution did you work on? I find working on much larger canvas sizes tends to reduce that kind of minor error once your resize it down.

Foreleg is a little thin. I'm concerned about the eyes and how they kind of blend into the area around them. Remember: Eyes are never actually a perfect white! Try experimenting with very slight orange/yellow-grey to visually distinguish it from the light blue surrounds? Play around with it.

Good colour scheme, though try some dynamic poses in the future!
    Funny you mention canvas size; I just started experimenting with that today independently, though I've only gotten as far as big -> small makes for some smoothing...

Foreleg is a known issue, but I was a little too lazy to fix it in this iteration. Also, I've never been completely happy with any set of eyes I've done. There's something I'm missing in making them pop... Maybe if I drew them larger and then shrunk them, or built them out of geometric shapes and layered them?

As much as I hate to admit it, the color scheme isn't really mine; it was included as part of the request, though I did tweak a few accent colors.

Hopefully, the next pony piece I'm working on will bring some of these lessons together and make for a more interesting composition. If I can only get the mane figured out...
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-05-05 at 02:21 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832

Funny you mention canvas size; I just started experimenting with that today independently, though I've only gotten as far as big -> small makes for some smoothing...
    Big as in really big is good. I generally don't work on anything smaller than 3300x2550.

Foreleg is a known issue, but I was a little too lazy to fix it in this iteration. Also, I've never been completely happy with any set of eyes I've done. There's something I'm missing in making them pop... Maybe if I drew them larger and then shrunk them, or built them out of geometric shapes and layered them?
    With regards to these ones? I think it's cause you coloured them backwards: the majority of the eye should be darker teal except for the one little patch of light teal. Look at the actual darkness and arrangement of pony eyes.

As much as I hate to admit it, the color scheme isn't really mine; it was included as part of the request, though I did tweak a few accent colors.

Hopefully, the next pony piece I'm working on will bring some of these lessons together and make for a more interesting composition. If I can only get the mane figured out...
    Good luck!

23. - Top - End - #833

Big as in really big is good. I generally don't work on anything smaller than 3300x2550.
    I don't know. I'm not blessed with a huge-ass projector screen, so anything larger than 800x600 can't fit on my monitor alongside the Photoshop interface, and I can't work on any picture larger than 1366x768 without zooming out, thus defeating the purpose of the larger canvas. It might be nice to start with an oversized canvas, and scale/crop it to the desired size later as you settle in the details, but for some reason I don't like working like that.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know. I'm not blessed with a huge-ass projector screen, so anything larger than 800x600 can't fit on my monitor alongside the Photoshop interface, and I can't work on any picture larger than 1366x768 without zooming out, thus defeating the purpose of the larger canvas. It might be nice to start with an oversized canvas, and scale/crop it to the desired size later as you settle in the details, but for some reason I don't like working like that.
    Hmm, my current thoughts are to start large and zoom out for the underlying sketch, then go back to full-size to actually draw in final lines and fix details. Does that sound like it might work?

Part of this is that I'm also trying to figure out how to smooth my lines further. They still have some wobble, but a lot of the pictures I see have almost unnaturally smooth linework, and I can't tell if it's a result of post-production, really steady hands, or some sort of contract with entities man was not meant to know...

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

I think I'll probably switch up to larger images. I'm getting sick of the pixelation when I need to zoom in far. Not until I've completed my current little project though.

I admit it made me laugh. Plus pony's playing piano with their hooves is inherently funny.
    My nitpicks for the day is that you used a straight line inside of his wings (between the feather part and the whole part... My pony wing terminology is weak) instead of a curved line or three half-ish/quarter circles like they use in the cartoon. This is really nitpicky, but I feel that the picture already has a lot of horizontal lines in it in the furniture, a curved line would break that and make Derpy "pop" out more.
    Also, are you going to shade it?

Thanks for those references!
    I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.

Your suggestion for the wing has been added onto the image. I dunno why, but I never really looked at the wings in the show. For some reason I guess I just assumed that was how they went. I'm not sure about the shading yet.

Heh, that's pretty nice. You need to remove the vertical line going across the shoulder though, would make the torso look less like a cylinder and would help show that the forelegs are actually attached. Even if it wouldn't be perfectly accurate to their anatomy, I think it'd look much better.
    Yeah, I gave it a try, and I agree.

Speaking of which!
    Days 125-126:
    Spoiler
    Show

Animation!

Strangely, frame-by-frame animation isn't as frustrating as I expected it to be. It gives me much more freedom than tweening does.

On the other hand, one frame a day is going to make things reeeeeal slow. Perhaps I can find a nice middle ground somewhere.

Oh, and yeah, this is for the Soul Eater project I mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    It's been awhile... but I have some new pieces to put up!

I don't think Im going to try much critiquing... I usually just end up saying "Really nice!" and leaving it at that 0-0*

Spoiler
    Show

Partway through a drawing inspired by a story im hoping to get written in the sometime near future.
    I know what you mean about critiquing. Sometimes it's hard to think of something more than "Yeah, it looks good."

The body shape suggests a more anthro style, is that what you were going for?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

Canvas size? Something I can comment on? Time to poke my head back in here it seems.

Canvas size is a tricky beast dictated by how comfortable you are with your screen size and how good your computer is. I regularly blow up most images I do to around 3-4k on it's longest axis. However, I'm really, really comfortable on my 22" 1680x1050 monitor, and my computer has 8gb of ram and the rest of it is fairly capable.

However, for some things, like colouring sketches without relining, I won't blow it up since it deteriorates the quality of the lines. If I'm starting something from scratch, I'll start it at 10k on it's longest axis and size down later, if it's viable.

The larger your canvas, the smoother your lines will be when you shrink it down. Same goes for little mistakes in colouring or similar, they become less noticeable. However, all the fine detail you put in goes away as well. I've done this with some things. At 400% zoom, you can see hair strands but once you back out to 100% zoom they're half gone, and at a reasonable resolution (800px wide) they're non-existent. You have to learn to balance your canvas size on what you're using it for, which you learn as you experiment.

Also @the_druid_droid smooth lines are a result of practice and quick strokes. If anyone has ever watched me do lineart on a livestream I take anywhere from 5-30 tries to get a line right. You don't want many small lines, you want to make fewer long, smooth lines that you get from making a quick stroke.
    Here's an example
    Spoiler
    Show

This was my first digital lineart. As you can see, not particularly good. The lines are long and slow, so they end up being shaky. Trying to make smooth lines actually results in shaky ones. I also hadn't learned to control my pressure that well on my tablet. This is also it's full resolution.

Now we see one I did more recently. Probably last year some time, maybe the year before (probably 2 years after the one above). This one basically looks like a vector when it's this small. At it's full size (around 3k px wide) it's got a lot of line width variation in the right places and a lot of line connections you can't see. This was done with quick, long, confident strokes. The pig tails are probably 10 or 20 lines all up, but it would have taken at least 200 for me to get the right lines. Control z is your friend in this situation.

So yeah, that's my take on lineart. If you want I can jump on livestream and lineart something quickly to demonstrate what I mean.

Also, all that being said...That's all just what works for me. Take it all with a grain of salt and experiment yourselves with what you want. I'm by no means a professional artist...In fact I haven't actually touched my tablet in around 5 months, but that's due to life stuff.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Barbarian in the Playground

Speaking of which!
    Days 125-126:
    Spoiler
    Show

Animation!

Strangely, frame-by-frame animation isn't as frustrating as I expected it to be. It gives me much more freedom than tweening does.

On the other hand, one frame a day is going to make things reeeeeal slow. Perhaps I can find a nice middle ground somewhere.

Oh, and yeah, this is for the Soul Eater project I mentioned before.
    SOUL EATER! You have just reminded me of an anime I must go and watch! I completely forgot about it!

what kind of frame rate is the animation going to be? 24 fps? more?
    You did really well on the perspective shifting between the pictures. That is something that, from what I know, is very difficult.

I know what you mean about critiquing. Sometimes it's hard to think of something more than "Yeah, it looks good."

The body shape suggests a more anthro style, is that what you were going for?
    Maybe I should just honestly say what I feel. It's because I don't have much training in art, so I feel I don't understand well enough to give a good 'critique'. But, then again, I did manage to help someone make a musical tune better, and that was with me just saying which parts got me moving, which parts slowed down too much, things like that.

Anthro? Not what I was Trying for, but I see where your coming from. no, I was looking to make her stand on two legs, kicking out her front hooves, though.

In fact, i worked on it some more today:
    Spoiler
    Show

I know the back and front legs are a little iffy, (Far too long comes to mind) but I was focusing more on the wings today than anything else.

EDIT:
    another something I finished.
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT EDIT:
    With shading.
    Spoiler
    Show

Based off this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Noctemwolf; 2012-05-07 at 03:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Troll in the Playground

Well, now that I've finished the previous request, I've got my big pony project coming down the pipes. I'd say more, but it's sort of a gift and I'm being a bit superstitious about the whole thing for some reason.

Still, the good news is that in playing around with Thanqol's and Dispo's suggestions, I think I've found a way to significantly increase the smoothness of my lines, which is super exciting, since I've been working toward a more show-like feel. I've also figured out what may be a much easier way to create pony eyes, which could save me a lot of trouble during image clean-up.

Once this little project is over, on the horizon I'm trying to set out anatomy practice for myself, along with some shading and color work to get a feel for some new-ish things. Might also throw in some traditional media work to really shake it up. Allons-y!

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

SOUL EATER! You have just reminded me of an anime I must go and watch! I completely forgot about it!

what kind of frame rate is the animation going to be? 24 fps? more?
    You did really well on the perspective shifting between the pictures. That is something that, from what I know, is very difficult.
    I tried watching the first episode but couldn't really get into it.

The video I downloaded to use for reference said 24fps, but on closer inspection was actually 12fps, so I guess mine is around about that. I'm taking a few shortcuts too; the Derpy animation is only about 7-8 frames, mainly to save myself some time and prevent myself going nuts.

Days 127-128 were also working on this same animation. One frame a day will take me a long time to finish anything. Need to see if I can get myself to push it to 2-3 per day.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thinking that I might change the colour of that stool, to make it contrast a little with the piano.

Anthro? Not what I was Trying for, but I see where your coming from. no, I was looking to make her stand on two legs, kicking out her front hooves, though.

Spoiler
    Show

I know the back and front legs are a little iffy, (Far too long comes to mind) but I was focusing more on the wings today than anything else.
    Ah, I see. She has a very thin waist, which is why I assumed anthro. Without the legs it looked humanoid. Those are some interesting looking wings!
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe I should just honestly say what I feel. It's because I don't have much training in art, so I feel I don't understand well enough to give a good 'critique'. But, then again, I did manage to help someone make a musical tune better, and that was with me just saying which parts got me moving, which parts slowed down too much, things like that.
    No worries, you don't have to have a detailed structural critique; any perspective helps people figure out if they're achieving their goals with the finished product, which is really what we're here working for anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT:
    another something I finished.
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT EDIT:
    With shading.
    Spoiler
    Show

Based off this:
    Spoiler
    Show

These are looking good, although the wings on the first pony make it look a little overbalanced. I think some of it is how thin the frame is, in comparison to the much more solid-looking wings.

I tried watching the first episode but couldn't really get into it.

The video I downloaded to use for reference said 24fps, but on closer inspection was actually 12fps, so I guess mine is around about that. I'm taking a few shortcuts too; the Derpy animation is only about 7-8 frames, mainly to save myself some time and prevent myself going nuts.

Days 127-128 were also working on this same animation. One frame a day will take me a long time to finish anything. Need to see if I can get myself to push it to 2-3 per day.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thinking that I might change the colour of that stool, to make it contrast a little with the piano.
    Glad to see you're still working on this! I'm really interested to see the finished animation, so I'll gladly poke you if you need motivation.

For my own part, the sorta-secret project is coming along nicely, thanks to the line smoothness suggestions; I really feel like line-wise it's going to be a step up from previous stuff. Hopefully color and composition will take hold as well.

Anyway, I will link a couple of the songs I've been working along with, Thanqol-style. (Although I tend to loop sets of songs or albums, but hey, I work slow).

First, a title that's a hint: Horses In the Sky
    Second, something instrumental: Glittering Blackness

EDIT: One more, because if I'm going foist my musical taste on you, I might as well do it properly - Magic Hours
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-05-09 at 12:24 AM.

Spoiler
    Show