New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Hey guys, popping in here again after being inactive FOREVER. Art blocks are awful >:

Gotta say all of you are going great :D Wish I could draw, but oh well~

Have a WIP colouring because I need to show some of my work of somewhere right now...I'm going crazy with no feedback.
    Spoiler
    Show

Obviously only half finished. The hair needs some tweaking, and the shirt is far from done, but it's a bit of a new style for me (only using the SAI waterbrush tool) and I'd like some feedback. I want to make in lineless eventually, but I don't think I'll be able to.
    I don't have feedback but I do have deep curiosity as to how you did it. Just waterbrush, you say? All on one layer or spaced out? Shading done with different colours or with transparented black?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I don't have feedback but I do have deep curiosity as to how you did it. Just waterbrush, you say? All on one layer or spaced out? Shading done with different colours or with transparented black?
    Each 'object' on one layer, so one each for hair, shirt, skin, two for eyes that flatten down to one. And I shade with colour, never black. Black is the worst way to shade unless you're doing a very harsh comic book style cel shade.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

3. - Top - End - #303

Each 'object' on one layer, so one each for hair, shirt, skin, two for eyes that flatten down to one. And I shade with colour, never black. Black is the worst way to shade unless you're doing a very harsh comic book style cel shade.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

*Takes a moment to un-learn a few things*

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

*Takes a moment to un-learn a few things*
    As a rule it makes things look dirty rather than shaded, and if you want to be as depthful as you can in your shading, it just makes things black, since you use as much colour as you can. I can shoot you a few palette charts for shading if you want? I don't have that many though, I mostly eyeball it these days.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

5. - Top - End - #305

As a rule it makes things look dirty rather than shaded, and if you want to be as depthful as you can in your shading, it just makes things black, since you use as much colour as you can. I can shoot you a few palette charts for shading if you want? I don't have that many though, I mostly eyeball it these days.
    I'd really appreciate it!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

I tend to use black, actually, but on a mix of Linear Burn and Subtract layers. Saves me the trouble of looking up colors, even if it's probably not the best method.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I tend to use black, actually, but on a mix of Linear Burn and Subtract layers. Saves me the trouble of looking up colors, even if it's probably not the best method.
    That's a huge thing, 'saving time'. It's something I'm trying to train myself out of. Saving times generally means an inferior product. I won't say always, because sometimes a quicker method is better, but not often.

As for colour palettes, these are the image ones I used to use before I eyeballed it a lot more often. Note that they're very, very rough guides, and you're generally better of eyeballing it, but they're good if you really have no clue on how to cel shade, or shade with colours (:
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2011-12-04 at 01:40 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

8. - Top - End - #308

That's a huge thing, 'saving time'. It's something I'm trying to train myself out of. Saving times generally means an inferior product. I won't say always, because sometimes a quicker method is better, but not often.

As for colour palettes, these are the image ones I used to use before I eyeballed it a lot more often. Note that they're very, very rough guides, and you're generally better of eyeballing it, but they're good if you really have no clue on how to cel shade, or shade with colours (:
    I mostly shade like that because I do it on a separate layer anyhow, and it's just convenient. I'd rather adapt my way to look more natural than learn a completely different technique. Besides, I got options aplenty when it comes to layer interactions. Color Burn, Multiply...

And I don't always shade in black, but I'm really mostly a sketch artist, so the art of shading color is something I'm still learning. Thanks for the advice though!
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

9. - Top - End - #309

What's... what's linear burn and subtract layers?

10. - Top - End - #310

It's a Photoshop-ish thing. Layers can be set to interact with layers below them in different ways, called Blend Modes - I think most other layer-supporting programs make use of a few basic ones like Add, Subtract, Multiply and Diffuse. Linear Burn and Color Burn imitate the Burn tool in different ways, useful for shadows in certain situations. Subtract does a pure HSV or RGB subtraction, I believe, effectively darkening the image below and changing the hue based on what you're painting with. Multiply does something I don't really understand, but the net effect is also useful in shading.

I do highlights that way as well, but with Add and the various Light layers.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

They can work, and they're how I started shading, but you end up having far less control overall.

I'm not saying the way I do it is perfect, far from, but I do think that blending layers aren't the best way to go about it either.

Honestly, doing one piece in a completely different way and style to normal can be extremely rewarding. Most of the large jumps in the quality of my work have come when I've tried something very different to my normal way because I find an element or two that suits my normal style and improves it greatly. Over the years my style has changed dramatically because of this.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

12. - Top - End - #312

I've been forced to pause my usual digital drawing schedule due to fairly annoying circumstances beyond my control. Instead, I decided to just carry around my mechanical pencil and spend some time drawing whenever I actually have said time.

One particularly long stretch of time (about 2 or 3 hours I think) resulted in this (episode 9 sort-of-spoiler warning)
    Spoiler
    Show

If you can offer a better "cannon" synonym that begins with "P", I'm all ears.

Paid little attention to a lot of things I'm used to paying attention to when drawing with a tablet, because a pencil has no Undo function. As such, proportions and perspective are all likely to be skewed.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

13. - Top - End - #313
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been forced to pause my usual digital drawing schedule due to fairly annoying circumstances beyond my control. Instead, I decided to just carry around my mechanical pencil and spend some time drawing whenever I actually have said time.

One particularly long stretch of time (about 2 or 3 hours I think) resulted in this (episode 9 sort-of-spoiler warning)
    Spoiler
    Show

Paid little attention to a lot of things I'm used to paying attention to when drawing with a tablet, because a pencil has no Undo function. As such, proportions and perspective are all likely to be skewed.
    the P.P.P.P.P.P.P. Cannon?

I really like that cannon.. Although maybe that's just because I like Artillery...

Oh, Also, awesome drawing mate. =) Pinkie's neck does look a little long, if I want to get nitpicky. But I don't.
    Besides, you already pointed out that perspectives would be off...

Spoiler
    Show

Say Hello to Sojourner!
    I did this one with basically no reference... except for the posing which I based off the other drawing (Which was based off of a pony creator Pony).
    I tried to make him a little more beefy I suppose? Less like a filly and more like a colt... His chest seems to stick out a little too far, and he is slightly taller than three heads (Of which I am Okay with. I wanted him to be slightly taller).
    Not completely finished as of yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to change his hair or not, and the lines need to be blackened. Also uncertain as to his eyes... I want him to have a serious expression on his face,a nd the round eyes don't quite mesh with that; Zecora's eye style works better. He IS a unicorn and not a Zebra, though. I dunno...

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I really like her...puntgun?

But seriously, that's an awesome sketch and it seems to suit Pinkie eerily well...

My only nitpick would be that her neck and chest seem to be a little too thin; other than that it's really quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post

I really like that cannon.. Although maybe that's just because I like Artillery...

Oh, Also, awesome drawing mate. =) Pinkie's neck does look a little long, if I want to get nitpicky. But I don't.

Spoiler
    Show

Say Hello to Sojourner!
    I did this one with basically no reference... except for the posing which I based off the other drawing (Which was based off of a pony creator Pony).
    I tried to make him a little more beefy I suppose? Less like a filly and more like a colt... His chest seems to stick out a little too far, and he is slightly taller than three heads (Of which I am Okay with. I wanted him to be slightly taller).
    Not completely finished as of yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to change his hair or not, and the lines need to be blackened. Also uncertain as to his eyes... I want him to have a serious expression on his face,a nd the round eyes don't quite mesh with that; Zecora's eye style works better. He IS a unicorn and not a Zebra, though. I dunno...
    I actually really like the eye design; it's an interesting touch for a pony. The only things I'd mention are that you might want to make his belly rounder (that may also help with the chest proportion issue) and maybe give him a bushier tail to balance the picture a bit. Does he have a backstory?

And now for some of my doodles, which are based on this week's challenge/project in the Art Upgrade thread. Anyone interested in more practice should check it out; this week's assignment is to explore line style and weight, as well as doing an observational drawing. Here's my line practice:
    Spoiler
    Show

This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

15. - Top - End - #315

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

I would love to see that cannon in action!

I think the slightly off proportions add a neat sort of style to the sketch. The only part that slightly bothers me is the tail for some reason, but I don't quite know why.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Say Hello to Sojourner!

That is really good considering you drew it without a reference (I still need to reference clips from the show quite often to get the shape and proportions down).

I do agree with the druid droid though in giving the belly a fuller look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I really like her...puntgun?

But seriously, that's an awesome sketch and it seems to suit Pinkie eerily well...

My only nitpick would be that her neck and chest seem to be a little too thin; other than that it's really quite good.

I actually really like the eye design; it's an interesting touch for a pony. The only things I'd mention are that you might want to make his belly rounder (that may also help with the chest proportion issue) and maybe give him a bushier tail to balance the picture a bit. Does he have a backstory?

And now for some of my doodles, which are based on this week's challenge/project in the Art Upgrade thread. Anyone interested in more practice should check it out; this week's assignment is to explore line style and weight, as well as doing an observational drawing. Here's my line practice:
    Spoiler
    Show

I keep telling myself to finish those doodles and then I never actually get to it. What did you use when drawing?

I vectored my character for a game of ponyfied GURPS that will be starting up soon.
    Spoiler
    Show

The shield doesn't really make sense to use, but oh well. My main concern is the wing, I have never vectored a wing before so I wasn't sure if the shape was quite right.
    Last edited by ShadowySilence; 2011-12-06 at 02:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Hi. I would like to know if anyone could draw one or both of my personal OC's. I will tell about their Cutie Marks and basic personality (to help determine a pose). I don't really care if the art isn't show-quality (although that would be awesome), since pretty much anything is better than what I would do.

Goldrings
    He's mostly a nice stallion, but he's occasionally overconfident. If he sets out to do something, he does it. His Cutie Mark exemplifies this, by literally being two golden rings looped together firmly.

Manalight (young)
    Manalight was Celestia's last pupil before Twilight Sparkle. She is very kind and humble, due to years of being the student of the ruler of Equestria. She is, as a near-prerequisite for the position, highly intelligent. Her Cutie Mark is the magic Cutie Mark; the same as Twilight Sparkle's.
    Last edited by legomaster00156; 2011-12-06 at 09:44 PM.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Hello everyone! I'm sort of new to the pony scene (I've only seen maybe 6 or so episodes so far), and just today was spurred from artsy procrastination with an idea: drawing Keldeo, a legendary Pokemon, as a pony. The issue being, I'd never drawn a pony before now.

So here she is!
    Spoiler
    Show

Smaller size for comparison:

Her mane and tail probably need more details...

It wasn't too difficult ponificating Keldeo, as it's already a colt, so only stylistic changes had to be made.

Humongo-ginormous props to SiuiS for tips on "Proporting the Pone" from like page 3 of this thread; I wouldn't have even known where to start without them.

@ShadowySilence: The wing looks pretty good, though the ruffly part looks a tad stiff (the part right before the individual feathers begin), like they follow a straight line. Perhaps curving them a bit (like Fluttershy's wing in this) will help make it look ...uh, wingier?
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

18. - Top - End - #318
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Say Hello to Sojourner!
    First impressions: I realy like the eyes. Did make me check to see if he was a pony or not, but it does fit what you are trying to do. Not sure about the mane, tho, because it is literaly sticking straight up from the back, making it look like, again, a zebrish (is that a valid term?) hairdoo that exends to the end of the neck. Basic body is good, and I am not complaining about the flat belly or the jutting chest, because its feasble for him to be the one pony in the world who is not a bit chubby. And besides, no ones complaining about Big Macs huge figure, are we? Anyway, I do like this, in case I sound a bit harsh.

The backstory for this guy must be interesting, having a symbal of balance on his flank and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowySilence View Post
    [SPOILER]
    Spoiler
    Show

The shield doesn't really make sense to use, but oh well. My main concern is the wing, I have never vectored a wing before so I wasn't sure if the shape was quite right.
    He could always have a breastplate or some guards on his wings.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-12-06 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Pokes thread*
    Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm sort of new to the pony scene (I've only seen maybe 6 or so episodes so far), and just today was spurred from artsy procrastination with an idea: drawing Keldeo, a legendary Pokemon, as a pony. The issue being, I'd never drawn a pony before now.

So here she is!
    Spoiler
    Show

*snip*

*snip*

It wasn't too difficult ponificating Keldeo, as it's already a colt, so only stylistic changes had to be made.

Humongo-ginormous props to SiuiS for tips on "Proporting the Pone" from like page 3 of this thread; I wouldn't have even known where to start without them.
    Looks great! You should do Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion too.

It's been a week or two and I decided I had put off drawing for far too long.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a picture of Big Mac fighting the Cutie Mark Crusaders for Miss Smarty Pants. The picture is full of flaws and I really don't care for it. Especially dealing with pony (and horse) body structure. But whatever, practice makes perfect. It was a personal challenge and I guess that's what matters.
    Ponies are off model of course.

Must draw more!

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    *Pokes thread*

Looks great! <snip>
    Thanks!

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a picture of Big Mac fighting the Cutie Mark Crusaders for Miss Smarty Pants. The picture is full of flaws and I really don't care for it. Especially dealing with pony (and horse) body structure. But whatever, practice makes perfect. It was a personal challenge and I guess that's what matters.
    *snip*

Must draw more!
    I think it looks rather good (and cute! )! Maybe I just don't have a critical eye, but I'm not seeing that many flaws, or at least ones I can identify and conjure up advice for...

You should do Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion too.
    Totally did this . Though, I noticed I tend to draw ponies in profile. I should probably work on other directions too at some point...

Spoiler
    Show

Larger versions in spoiler (warning, they're kinda big):
    Spoiler
    Show

I had a lot of trouble trying to make Virizion look ...well, pony-ish. Its head is very oddly shaped, so I opted for the "total symbolism makeover" and changed the oddly curved horns to swirls in its mane and tail, its weird neck-leaf thing into a scarf, and its hoof-boots into leg ornaments. The other two are drawn at least a tiny bit more faithfully to the original Pokemon.
    Morning Star

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think it looks rather good (and cute! )! Maybe I just don't have a critical eye, but I'm not seeing that many flaws, or at least ones I can identify and conjure up advice for...
    Thanks for the kind words!
    I was mostly worried about Big Mac's anatomy, I just can't shake the feeling that something is off.

Totally did this . Though, I noticed I tend to draw ponies in profile. I should probably work on other directions too at some point...

*snip*
    Looking great!
    I have a request, could you post a slightly bigger version of them poised together? I need pokie ponies on my background shuffle.

Some none pony art today.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to ponies, my humanoid practice has been off. I tried to fix it today by drawing one OC. A Byzantine-ish, knight, woman. The image is boring, I need to do something ambitious tomorrow.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

I'm totally neglecting this thread :( I'm sorry

Anyway, a little sketch I did of Applecora. It's not terribly great, full of errors and lacking details, but its only purpose is to be computerized and edited the hay out of anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Deadly; 2011-12-10 at 07:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Looking great!
    I have a request, could you post a slightly bigger version of them poised together? I need pokie ponies on my background shuffle.
    Sure! Here's a 4:3 version, or what I'm pretty sure is correct widescreen size. Enjoy!
    Morning Star

24. - Top - End - #324
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post

Anyway, a little sketch I did of Applecora. It's not terribly great, full of errors and lacking details, but its only purpose is to be computerized and edited the hay out of anyway.

*snip*
    Applecora? I never knew this existed.

Applejack's head seems to be a bit small compared to Zecora's, but as you said, this is just a rough sketch anyway.
    I've seen your finished work, so I'm sure this one will be awesome as well!

Sure! Here's a 4:3 version, or what I'm pretty sure is correct widescreen size. Enjoy!
    A million thanks!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Applecora? I never knew this existed.

Applejack's head seems to be a bit small compared to Zecora's, but as you said, this is just a rough sketch anyway.
    I've seen your finished work, so I'm sure this one will be awesome as well!
    Thanks. Applecora is an idea I've had for a while, ever since I saw a zebra chase a pony which looked a lot like AJ at a circus

As for her head... hmm, I hadn't noticed. Maybe I'll see how it looks once colored and stuff. Thanks for mentioning that.

26. - Top - End - #326

Spoiler
    Show

Must draw more!
    I friggen' love the way you draw, Bakuel!
    You know, Sweetie bell looks awfully devilsh in this drawing for some reason... maybe it's the neck biting... Ow.
    Big Mac does look alittle off though... Is his body not quite big enough, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    First impressions: I really like the eyes. Did make me check to see if he was a pony or not, but it does fit what you are trying to do. Not sure about the mane, tho, because it is literaly sticking straight up from the back, making it look like, again, a zebrish (is that a valid term?) hairdoo that exends to the end of the neck. Basic body is good, and I am not complaining about the flat belly or the jutting chest, because its feasble for him to be the one pony in the world who is not a bit chubby. And besides, no ones complaining about Big Macs huge figure, are we? Anyway, I do like this, in case I sound a bit harsh.

The backstory for this guy must be interesting, having a symbal of balance on his flank and all.
    Your Words on how his eyes and hair are Zebra-ish has got me thinking on an actual backstory for him... I do need one, since I'm planning to put him into a story I'm writing.
    He is a philosopher, hence the Cutie mark... Plenty of other things too, making me wonder if Ponythread for drawing is also okay with sharing stories. 0-0* I could use some feedback on whether I'm developing it right, or if it's even any good. Seeing as the main thread moves WAAAAY to freakin' fast for me to follow anyway...

So here she is!
    Spoiler
    Show

I have not been keeping up with my Pokemon, it seems. 0-0*
    And SiuiS is an amazing person for posting that, In total agreement there.

It's a very good drawing, I'll give you that. May I ask What your used to draw it? I actually want to figure out how to do vector art... I wonder if GIMP can do it....

That is really good considering you drew it without a reference (I still need to reference clips from the show quite often to get the shape and proportions down).

I do agree with the druid droid though in giving the belly a fuller look.
    Danke!

Hmm... so he's skinny? I may have to work on that...

I vectored my character for a game of ponyfied GURPS that will be starting up soon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ya, you are right in that shield looks odd. I dunno if ponys would really have a need for them... can't think of much. nnn-ope. no clue. =)
    Still, a good drawing all the same! Is he a Blacksmith?

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Glad the eyes are a hit, and not a miss!
    Rounder belly duly noted. =) His tail is supposed to be somewhat proper and trimmed, so I do prefer it shorter. Though a longer more flowy tail would work out as well... hmm... (muses)

Backstory? is in the rough development stage. Recently got my muse back for writing! I was inspired by the reading the last line of... well, Rainbow Factory.

Seriously though. Perfect way to end it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootaloo
    "You have Beautiful eyes..."
    Spoiler
    Show

Looks like my class notes from highschool.
    I see plenty of... cross hatching, I think it's called? for shadowing, I think? I used it a lot for shadow effects on my older drawings...

Spoiler
    Show
    Zecora and Applejack... Must say I never saw that one coming.
    I would love to see the final product though! =D
    Last edited by Noctemwolf; 2011-12-12 at 05:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

While not pony related, have my latest art exploits. It will eventually be pony related because this might kick me out of my slump...I dunno. Anyway, here's the first two stages of my arty things. Not even a third done at this point most likely, and those clouds are starting to bug me...Might do them in SAI rather than PS.

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

28. - Top - End - #328

While not pony related, have my latest art exploits. It will eventually be pony related because this might kick me out of my slump...I dunno. Anyway, here's the first two stages of my arty things. Not even a third done at this point most likely, and those clouds are starting to bug me...Might do them in SAI rather than PS.

Spoiler
    Show

I think I recognise the water tool for the mountains, but what did you do to get those clouds like that? I'm staring at it and not figuring it out.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

I think I recognise the water tool for the mountains, but what did you do to get those clouds like that? I'm staring at it and not figuring it out.
    I was actually playing around with this brush set (download on the second page). The clouds were done with the 'jet' brush, but I think I'm going to go back in and redo them with the waterbrush tool in SAI. Through my experiments I've found I do them best with that...But I dunno.

The mountains were done with basic brushes. The outlines were from the brush set, the outline brush actually, and will be in the final product most likely, and the rest of it was just opacity brushes, nothing special.

So far it's all done in PS, I think the clouds will be all I do in SAI...maybe some foliage, I dunno...I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

What my SAI clouds look like, btw
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2011-12-12 at 08:15 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

I keep telling myself to finish those doodles and then I never actually get to it. What did you use when drawing?

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the late reply

I used several different media for the line practice because I had them lying around. There's a couple different pencils, HBs and 3B or 4B I think, as well as charcoal sticks, a sanguine stick, and an india ink pen. I discovered that I really like the feel of drawing with charcoal sticks, at the very least.

Also, in regard to the pony, you could try making his wing just a bit smaller, but other than that, I don't see many issues; he looks pretty good overall.

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Hi. I would like to know if anyone could draw one or both of my personal OC's. I will tell about their Cutie Marks and basic personality (to help determine a pose). I don't really care if the art isn't show-quality (although that would be awesome), since pretty much anything is better than what I would do.

Goldrings
    He's mostly a nice stallion, but he's occasionally overconfident. If he sets out to do something, he does it. His Cutie Mark exemplifies this, by literally being two golden rings looped together firmly.

Manalight (young)
    Manalight was Celestia's last pupil before Twilight Sparkle. She is very kind and humble, due to years of being the student of the ruler of Equestria. She is, as a near-prerequisite for the position, highly intelligent. Her Cutie Mark is the magic Cutie Mark; the same as Twilight Sparkle's.
    Hmm, I'm afraid my pony backlog is getting a bit long. If no one else in the thread can take it, you might consider checking out the pony avatar thread in this subforum (MLP: Avatar is Magic, is the title I believe). Thanqol is also looking for ponies to draw, I think so you could try flagging him down.

*Pokes thread*

Looks great! You should do Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion too.

Spoiler
    Show

Must draw more!
    I think your picture looks quite good! The only things I'd mention are that Big Mac's body does look a bit small and is bent a little oddly. Also, there seems to be something a little strange about the perspective of his hooves; it seems like they should maybe tilt forward a bit more?

Anyway, that is a neat picture, and I look forward to your next stuff!

Spoiler
    Show

Larger versions in spoiler (warning, they're kinda big):
    Spoiler
    Show

I had a lot of trouble trying to make Virizion look ...well, pony-ish. Its head is very oddly shaped, so I opted for the "total symbolism makeover" and changed the oddly curved horns to swirls in its mane and tail, its weird neck-leaf thing into a scarf, and its hoof-boots into leg ornaments. The other two are drawn at least a tiny bit more faithfully to the original Pokemon.
    I'm liking the poke-ponies! The last one might possibly need to be a hair taller, but otherwise they look good! I would recommend drawing different poses though, as it's good practice and helps you get a solid feel for how ponies should look from every angle.

Some none pony art today.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to ponies, my humanoid practice has been off. I tried to fix it today by drawing one OC. A Byzantine-ish, knight, woman. The image is boring, I need to do something ambitious tomorrow.
    Nice! I'm curious to see what she'd look like once cleaned up and colored!

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! Deadly shipping sketches! I'm interested to see how these turn out...and Applecora is an excellent name

Looks like my class notes from highschool.
    I see plenty of... cross hatching, I think it's called? for shadowing, I think? I used it a lot for shadow effects on my older drawings...
    Yeah, cross-hatching was one of the things on the list to play around with, although I haven't used it much in the past myself. I'm trying to include more shading in some of the things I draw, but right now I'm really only passable with linework and basic shapes...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!