New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Pic's adorable. Landscape is fine, but Applejacks mouth looks...off. The mouth usualy should never extend to where the chin should be in a face-forword shot, or at least with ponies. Wiona is great, tho.
    Your right on that! I tried fulling around with the mouth before but whenever I tried fixing it, then the snout would look weird. Finally I chose the lesser evil. If I was more careful during the pre-drawing stage, this would have never happened! Honestly though, half of the time on this one was spent fooling around with Applejack's face. I went into it expecting Winona's design to be hard and Applejack to be easy. It turned out to be the other way around.
    Not to blabber, but at the end I almost swore that Rarity would be my new favorite pony. Until I attempted her hair of course.
    But live and learn. My next will be better.

I'm happy you think it's adorable though, it's good to know my attempt at a softer scene didn't fall completely flat!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I've tried tossing this idea into another forum's quick fiction ideas thread, but nobody picked it up. If anyone wants to try something ridiculously complex, you could try to draw something of it.

Basically, it's a what-if. What if the Elements of Harmony didn't unleash the Orbital Friendship Cannon, but did something entirely different? Try to draw the result of this "something". Possible inspirations: Voltron, Captain Planet and the Planeteers, any of the Power Rangers series.
    Thank you for making me do this.

Spoiler
    Show

DA

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Sounds great!
    I have a great idea to draw for this, I just hope I can finish it in time.
    Well, there's no hard and fast deadline. Feel free to post whenever you finish it, or to move on to something else if you get sick of working on a particular prompt.

Well, I finished the picture I posted before so I can move on to new things.

Spoiler
    Show

I got so tired of my messy lines that I decided to try a more painting approach to the picture. With limited results, but it was a learning experience! I realized that the grass needed highlights, so I fixed that with some light gold. The mountains are still lazy, but I tried to fix them up a bit. Equestrian background mountains are stylized anyway, or at least that's my excuse. There are some perspective problems, but they always are. I'm mildly happy with the image.

I like it! It almost reminds me of a movie poster or something similar; it's really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

Spoiler
    Show

DA
    *slowclap.gif*
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Your right on that! I tried fulling around with the mouth before but whenever I tried fixing it, then the snout would look weird. Finally I chose the lesser evil. If I was more careful during the pre-drawing stage, this would have never happened! Honestly though, half of the time on this one was spent fooling around with Applejack's face. I went into it expecting Winona's design to be hard and Applejack to be easy. It turned out to be the other way around.
    Not to blabber, but at the end I almost swore that Rarity would be my new favorite pony. Until I attempted her hair of course.
    But live and learn. My next will be better.

I'm happy you think it's adorable though, it's good to know my attempt at a softer scene didn't fall completely flat!
    Yeah, it always seemed to me that out of the two kinds of dogs we have seen so far, for whatever reason the one on all fours seems the hardest to draw. Amusingly, I do belive that the show itself is suffering from the same issues you are with the facial structure of the ponies, juging from the unholy facial expressions we have gotten this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365
    Bugbear in the Playground

I tried to imagine what a Captain Harmony would look like. Since I was too lazy to actually look up references, I decided to "wing it" and just think of something as I drew. The design I ended up with... I think I'll call him/her "Captain Platypus".

edit: And colored, shaded, and otherwise done with:

Three hours' work, all in all.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2011-12-20 at 09:11 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

DA
    I feel like there's a reference I'm missing. Still, looks pretty cool ^^

I tried to imagine what a Captain Harmony would look like. Since I was too lazy to actually look up references, I decided to "wing it" and just think of something as I drew. The design I ended up with... I think I'll call him/her "Captain Platypus".

Spoiler
    Show

Wow that's... that's a lotta pony. XD I must admit, I do like how you've coloured it.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

7. - Top - End - #367

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Wow that's... that's a lotta pony. XD I must admit, I do like how you've coloured it.
    Thanks. I think Thanqol nailed the thought behind it, in the main ponythread. If I were asked "Who is your favorite pony", I could probably only say "All of them".

And the actual inspiration, in case some of you don't frequent TVTropes, is this one image, for the All Your Powers Combined page:

---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

8. - Top - End - #368
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Ah, people who are learning to draw. I salute all of you and your valiant efforts! I shall cheer from the sidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Nah, nah, I'll just watch!
    None of that, mate. You really have no excuse not to jump in. Have you seen the pony images EsperDerek and Thanqol started with?

If you don't even care about learning to draw, that's one thing. No use practicing a skill you don't want. But if you are interested, even in just little doodles like I tend to do, then give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose, and much to gain.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Firbolg in the Playground

.....Heratic! There is no such thing as the legandary Alicorn of Harmony! Exermitus!

Actualy, its quite good. I like the hair, mostly because somthing like what you did theres beyond my drawing abilitys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370

Sketchy time!

I've no idea where I was going with this...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...initially, at least. The final design is probably Power Rangers-inspired.

UltraHORD, merger of six HORDs (Harmony Operated Robotic Destroyers), plus addon.
    Twilight - Magenta Ranger, piloting the Harmonic Unity HORD, forming head and torso structure.
    Applejack - Orange Ranger, piloting the Harmonic Justice HORD, forming the right arm with dual cannons and hydraulic ram.
    Rarity - White Ranger, piloting the Harmonic Benevolence HORD, forming the left arm with the power drill and energy whip.
    Fluttershy - Yellow Ranger, piloting the Harmonic Mercy HORD, forming the left leg with jump jets and EMP emitter.
    Rainbow Dash - Cyan Ranger, piloting the Harmonic Tenacity HORD, forming the right leg with jump jets and Sonic RainStomp/Roundhouse SonicRainBuck attack systems.
    Pinkie Pie - Pink Ranger, piloting the custom "Party Animal" Harmonic Enlightment HORD, forming the backpack with dual shouldered Party Cannons and assorted support items.

Celestia and Luna - present as the unpiloted Harmonic Balance HORD, forming the breastplate, shoulderpads, and assorted armor pieces on the machine.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2011-12-22 at 04:46 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

11. - Top - End - #371

What does it take to get people to comment in here? Where is everyone?
    Sorry for the doublepost, but with the activity level here...

I'm continuing the development of the above sketch now. Any comments on the general design before it's too late to edit it?

Spoiler
    Show

edit: Continuing development:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm still trying to see what RD and Fluttershy's mechs look like in separated mode, so the design here might not be final. Any suggestions on where to put the manes/tails? They'd serve no practical purpose in either joined or separated mode, at least no purpose I can think of...
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2011-12-24 at 01:39 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

My apologies, but I lost the tab (musta accidently closed it) and I haven't really drawn much lately... except for one thing... but that's a seeeeeecret

Anyway, your pic is.... well it's kinda cool looking, I'll give you that. The only thing I can critique is that the pony manes attached to a robot is a little odd looking to me. The rest looks good. The machine details look very good ^^

EDIT: You updated as I posted XD

Um, yeah, re: the manes: What if it had one large flowing mane, like Celestia's, but with all the ponies' colours combined?

Also, on second glance, it kinda looks like AJ's mech-hand has nail-polish on it. Am I looking at it wrong?
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2011-12-24 at 01:42 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    My apologies, but I lost the tab (musta accidently closed it) and I haven't really drawn much lately... except for one thing... but that's a seeeeeecret

Anyway, your pic is.... well it's kinda cool looking, I'll give you that. The only thing I can critique is that the pony manes attached to a robot is a little odd looking to me. The rest looks good. The machine details look very good ^^

EDIT: You updated as I posted XD

Um, yeah, re: the manes: What if it had one large flowing mane, like Celestia's, but with all the ponies' colours combined?
    I thought of that, but yes, manes on machines in general tend to look silly. In this case, I'm allowing Pinkie's mane because it's Pinkie, and AJ and Rarity's manes (or rather tails) serve practical purposes - Rarity's tail is an energy whip (that one gif where she swings it above herself comes to mind), and AJ's tail is inexplicably prehensile - in this case, it forms the hand on the arm, and can be used as a sort of an extendable hydraulic ram. The mane, on the other hand, I'm leaving mostly for symmetry purposes. Twilight gets to keep her hair since I can't see it working in any other way. RD's and Fluttershy's mechs are primarily fighter support, however, and manes don't work very well for them in general. I guess I could have the tail formed as part of the "magical engine exhaust", but the mane would have to be integrated into the design somehow.

Also, on second glance, it kinda looks like AJ's mech-hand has nail-polish on it. Am I looking at it wrong?
    Yes, you are. The red pieces are segments of the "ribbon" that hold her "ponytail" together, since the hand is formed from the mech's prehensile tail. I thought of several places the red segments could go, and ended up putting them on the phalanges. You can't see the fingertips from this angle, so even if it was nail polish, you wouldn't see it. :)
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2011-12-24 at 01:53 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, you are. The red pieces are segments of the "ribbon" that hold her "ponytail" together, since the hand is formed from the mech's prehensile tail. I thought of several places the red segments could go, and ended up putting them on the phalanges. You can't see the fingertips from this angle, so even if it was nail polish, you wouldn't see it. :)
    Ahhh, okay then.

Well, I don't have much else to add. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

15. - Top - End - #375

Outlines finished:

Spoiler
    Show

I decided I very much didn't like the plain flat chestplates, especially considering they would come from the flanks of the addon mech (Harmonic Balance, Celestia and Luna's remotely operated HORD). While I was at it, I spruced up AJ's and Pinkie's mechs as well. Still not too sure about Twilight's face as the mech's head. It looks fine as it is, but perhaps I should at least stylize it more... add a helmet/mask to go with the tiara crown thingy.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

16. - Top - End - #376

From my experience of 220 days of art-threading, there'll be long periods of silence, usually a week or two, and then half a dozen people comment at once. Also, it's Christmas break. The internet's dead. I tend to just lurk here because most stuff goes in my own thread.

Outlines finished:

Spoiler
    Show

I decided I very much didn't like the plain flat chestplates, especially considering they would come from the flanks of the addon mech (Harmonic Balance, Celestia and Luna's remotely operated HORD). While I was at it, I spruced up AJ's and Pinkie's mechs as well. Still not too sure about Twilight's face as the mech's head. It looks fine as it is, but perhaps I should at least stylize it more... add a helmet/mask to go with the tiara crown thingy.
    I love the TTGL shades

The picture, by and large, is coming along fantastically but I just can't shake the feeling there's something wrong with the face. I can't really articulate what. The expression, I dunno, makes me think of a Space Marine who got punched in the jaw a lot.

17. - Top - End - #377

Oh, now I see what's wrong with it. The head is too tall. Pony heads are round, and here it's more like a human's head. Hm, gotta do a little thinking for this one. Can't make it wider without moving the cannons and shoulders apart, might lose detail (and make the head too small) if it's just shortened. This calls for some experimentation.

edit: Well, ended up trying to visually round it up without actually changing the overall shape much. Success?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2011-12-25 at 11:02 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

From my experience of 220 days of art-threading, there'll be long periods of silence, usually a week or two, and then half a dozen people comment at once. Also, it's Christmas break. The internet's dead. I tend to just lurk here because most stuff goes in my own thread.

I love the TTGL shades

The picture, by and large, is coming along fantastically but I just can't shake the feeling there's something wrong with the face. I can't really articulate what. The expression, I dunno, makes me think of a Space Marine who got punched in the jaw a lot.
    I think Thanqol has hit the nail on the head: thread's quiet because of break. I know that's been hurting my own posting frequency, and I haven't been able to draw as much as I'd like, which hasn't helped things. Hopefully today is going to be catch-up day!

Oh, now I see what's wrong with it. The head is too tall. Pony heads are round, and here it's more like a human's head. Hm, gotta do a little thinking for this one. Can't make it wider without moving the cannons and shoulders apart, might lose detail (and make the head too small) if it's just shortened. This calls for some experimentation.

edit: Well, ended up trying to visually round it up without actually changing the overall shape much. Success?

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm, the head looks better I think - before I was going to suggest that it looked a little like a Ninja Turtle head. I'm liking the mechanical details; those seem to be something you're particularly good at. Also, it's hard to critique owing to the fact that the early influence of Power Rangers et al. has made it difficult for me not to equate large, multi-component robots with a certain sense of 7-year-old wonder...

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #379

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that has more or less dispelled the uncanny valley effect I was getting. Further critiques, if they exist, are out of my skill sphere.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

I have mah tablet and it's working!

Anypony got a tutorial or something for using them? The one that it supposedly came with won't respond.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty much as new to this as one can be.

21. - Top - End - #381

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    I have mah tablet and it's working!

Anypony got a tutorial or something for using them? The one that it supposedly came with won't respond.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty much as new to this as one can be.
    Firstly, what programs did it come with?

It'll feel weird as all get out for about a week, and then you'll get used to it. My general advice is make liberal use of zooming in for detail work, and try to get the hang of layers as soon as you can.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Firstly, what programs did it come with?
    Adobe Photo shop elements 9.0, Corel Painter Essentials 4.0, Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 WE3 and Autodesk Sketchbook Express.

It'll feel weird as all get out for about a week, and then you'll get used to it. My general advice is make liberal use of zooming in for detail work, and try to get the hang of layers as soon as you can.
    Alright. Thanks.

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Adobe Photo shop elements 9.0, Corel Painter Essentials 4.0, Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0 WE3 and Autodesk Sketchbook Express.
    Ah, Corel I know, and it's a great place to get started. The interface should be pretty easy to handle. You want the Fine Point Pen tool, under pencils tab, to do your linework (2B pencil tool has a bit much grain to it). Brushes and waters are fun to play around with, but there's a whole world to colouring that you just need to explore at your own pace. Bucket tool is a decent place to get started but it's very, very limited.

Work a lot on your basic lines, straight and curved, because it's kinda difficult to use a ruler along with a tablet. Remember the blessed key combination, ctrl-Z, to undo bad lines. Play around! Explore the interface! Have fun with it!

Eventually, if you ever feel limited by what Corel has available, I recommend Paint Tool SAI. Good luck!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-12-25 at 10:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for not being active D: I've been in a bit of an artblock and starting anything just seems daunting. Sorry if I missed any conversation directed at me :P

@Sean: That friendship robot is awesome. Great memories of Power Rangers and Voltron. Can't wait to see the finished product...I might even give some of it a go myself, been a while since I've done any metal shading.

To anyone who got a tablet for christmas, or just recently in general, I can give you a few tips or points in the direction (according to me) if you want...I've been using them for a few years and more or less know how they work and what works sort of well with them :P

That being said, I hate shading hair with a passion...

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Sorry for not being active D: I've been in a bit of an artblock and starting anything just seems daunting. Sorry if I missed any conversation directed at me :P

@Sean: That friendship robot is awesome. Great memories of Power Rangers and Voltron. Can't wait to see the finished product...I might even give some of it a go myself, been a while since I've done any metal shading.

To anyone who got a tablet for christmas, or just recently in general, I can give you a few tips or points in the direction (according to me) if you want...I've been using them for a few years and more or less know how they work and what works sort of well with them :P

That being said, I hate shading hair with a passion...
    That is an amazing pic of Luna!

Oh, dropping in unannounced. Sorry!
    (Hides again to lurk more).

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    That is an amazing pic of Luna!

Oh, dropping in unannounced. Sorry!
    (Hides again to lurk more).
    Not drawn by me sadly :P
    Go look at this guy and blame him. He's completely awesome btw :P

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

27. - Top - End - #387

Alright, first attempt at doing the colors and lighting on this thing.

Spoiler
    Show

The lines on the Flutterleg get kinda blurry with the shading, should probably darken them a bit. Anything else I should fix?

edit: I think I'll stop with this iteration. Looks good enough, moving on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2011-12-26 at 01:17 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

ahem
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    So, on a whim, I drew Zecora and Berry Punch as the Demoman from TF2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't tell, but Zecora's quote is "I'm going to turn you/ into thin glue." but it got cropped off somehow when I scanned it.
    Other quotes I was considering for the Demomare(s)
    "A lotta good your Wonderbolt trainin ' did ya!"
    "I got two tickets to the Wonderbolt show, and I'm not giving them to you. I'm going with YOUR tickets!"

"Beware! Beware I am your worse nightmare!"

"heads heads heeeeeaaaaads HEADS."
    Gentlemen?
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Welcome to the thread! I promise to offer some feedback as soon as I'm not lurking in a coffeeshop in a rush!

Anyway, have a pony I drew at the suggestion of the IRC (Topaz in particular, I think):
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, first attempt at doing the colors and lighting on this thing.

Spoiler
    Show

The lines on the Flutterleg get kinda blurry with the shading, should probably darken them a bit. Anything else I should fix?

edit: I think I'll stop with this iteration. Looks good enough, moving on.

Spoiler
    Show
    I love this, so much. I do think you should deepen the shading somewhat, make the dark areas quite a bit darker, gives it way more pop. It still seems quite flat as it is now.

Other than that, loving it :D Such a great idea.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.