Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Domochevsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Germany (North)

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Creeperpony steps forward with an example on how to pose.




    (I guess it was only a matter of time until the Learns To Draw type of thread becomes a group activity. )

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Um... sorta? ^-^: You mean, instead of using the built-in lines, copy the fill and expand it? Seems awfully fiddly.

    Using Flash CS5.5.
    A quick and dirty example, which I hope clarifies the idea

    Spoiler
    Show


    Yes, it is a little more fiddly this way, but really not too bad IMO. I'm not familiar with Flash, but I don't think you get truly irregular strokes without it getting a little fiddly like this. And personally I find that the little extra work needed is more than made up for by just how much better it looks in the end.

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    This thread is BEST THREAD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Anywho, here's a sketch I did for a halloween costume contest thingy. Twilight, Derpy and Carrot Top as the Spanish Equestrian Inquisition from Monty Python:

    Spoiler
    Show


    And the inked/coloured version:
    Spoiler
    Show


    My advice to anyone who wants to draw ponies? References. Everywhere. All the time.
    My big advice to you is line colour/width. The reason this looks odd is because you've got very thin straight black lines. They cut through the picture like lasers, separating everything from everything else. Experiment with thicker lines, as well as colour.

    Also, the clothing in particular looks extremely flat. Try having a look at clothing bends and folds - once you start to get your head around that, things will improve dramatically!

    Eyes look good, though!

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Here's a sketch of AJ as a human I did a while back. I was doodling the mane 6 as humans, trying a new style, and was really happy with how AJ turned out. Fluttershy and RD were OK too, but needed more work. The rest were... not great.

    Maybe some day I'll take another stab at the rest of them, but for now...

    Spoiler
    Show


    You know, I'm not really a fan of AJ, but here she kinda looks cool
    Freckles! Needs freckles! This is otherwise quite a cool style, but I'm most interested to see it in action poses!

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post

    Here's a few things I've worked on recently. a little hard to see, since I took the picture with my phone. They're not ponies (No, that comes next alongside my story)! but just drawing attempts.

    Swingset at my local park:
    Spoiler
    Show



    Self-Portrait!
    Spoiler
    Show

    Ha-ha! I am hidden behind my goggles!
    The swingset looks great!

    The self portrait is generally good, but the top of the head hairline/shadow thing looks weird and blodgy. If that's a dark shadow, it looks really out of place given how well-lit the rest of the face seems to be. Otherwise this is pretty cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I'm trying to draw a lineup of the main cast, for a larger scene with original characters, but unlike OCs, these present a problem, in that they have an established look, which I have to replicate.

    I'd like some pointers here, maybe some traits or features I've missed, or things I drew wrong. Don't pay attention to the sketchiness, this is just a sketch before proper drawing. Pointers on wrong anatomy would also be useful, because for me at least, wings seem to be the new hands, and ponies in general are still a rather new item.

    I think that my main problem with this is the mouth shape. Pony jaws are deceptively difficult; it's really easy to make them look too square. Rainbow, for instance, looks like she crashed into a wall recently. Rarity and Twilight look better.

    The trick with pony jaws also comes down to line thickness. Look at some screencaps: the nose part is really thick, and then thins out to a graceful curve down along the chin that tapers out. Also merge the nose into the eye a bit more; the curves follow, and it makes the pictures look more harmonious.

    The wings, however, look fantastic.


    And good luck to everypony! This may seem hard at first, but it's absolutely worth doing! You won't believe your progress if you stick with it.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-30 at 06:44 PM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Freckles! Needs freckles! This is otherwise quite a cool style, but I'm most interested to see it in action poses!
    Totally forgot her freckles, yeah

    Maybe I'll try some more active poses too. Initially I just wanted to figure out what I thought they looked like as humans, so I didn't much care about pose

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Totally forgot her freckles, yeah

    Maybe I'll try some more active poses too. Initially I just wanted to figure out what I thought they looked like as humans, so I didn't much care about pose
    It seems like a style that can bend into really interesting poses, hence the curiosity. Expressive, that's the word.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Deadly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Wasteland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It seems like a style that can bend into really interesting poses, hence the curiosity. Expressive, that's the word.
    Thanks :) I'll give it a stab sometime, then

    deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kindablue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    I'm mostly interested in learning how to draw people right now, so I made a list of musicians I like to give me something focused to work on. (I haven't decided whether I'll just keep adding names to the list or restart it once I've hit the end.) Unfortunately the only camera I have in the house is, as the kids would say, teh suck, so I'll scan it sometime later this week and hopefully it will come out better then.

    Drawing one:
    Spoiler
    Show










    Based on:
    Spoiler
    Show


    The list:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Finished:
    Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen


    Unfinished:
    Imogen Heap
    Dusty Springfield
    Neko Case
    Agustin Barrios
    Alexander James Adams
    Tosin Abasi
    Miles Davis
    Brent Hinds
    Billie Holiday
    Django Reinhardt
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Ingrid Michaelson
    Joe Pass
    Venetian Snares
    Charles Mingus
    Sun Ra
    Michel Petrucciani
    Natacha Atlas
    Sarah Blasko
    Jacqueline du Pré
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-10-30 at 10:40 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Noctemwolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    This thread is BEST THREAD.

    The swingset looks great!

    The self portrait is generally good, but the top of the head hairline/shadow thing looks weird and blodgy. If that's a dark shadow, it looks really out of place given how well-lit the rest of the face seems to be. Otherwise this is pretty cool

    And good luck to everypony! This may seem hard at first, but it's absolutely worth doing! You won't believe your progress if you stick with it.

    Well, I could link the original picture:
    Spoiler
    Show


    portrait:
    Spoiler
    Show

    I couldn't see my hair, so I just drew it in shadow. I also just blocked the shadows together instead of trying for subtle shadow changes (Not very good at that). 0-0* I know that's something i need to work on. definitely. And the head is probably a little long too...

    Thank you for the criticism! =D

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I'm mostly interested in learning how to draw people right now, so I made a list of musicians I like to give me something focused to work on. (I haven't decided whether I'll just keep adding names to the list or restart it once I've hit the end.) Unfortunately the only camera I have in the house is, as the kids would say, teh suck, so I'll scan it sometime later this week and hopefully it will come out better then.

    Drawing one:
    Spoiler
    Show










    Based on:
    Spoiler
    Show


    The list:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Finished:
    Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen


    Unfinished:
    Imogen Heap
    Dusty Springfield
    Neko Case
    Agustin Barrios
    Alexander James Adams
    Tosin Abasi
    Miles Davis
    Brent Hinds
    Billie Holiday
    Django Reinhardt
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Ingrid Michaelson
    Joe Pass
    Venetian Snares
    Mingus
    Sun Ra
    Michel Petrucciani
    Natacha Atlas
    Sarah Blasko
    Jacqueline du Pré
    I like them! Very nice! The wrinkles on the forehead make the person seem older in your drawing, but otherwise enjoyable. =)
    Last edited by Noctemwolf; 2011-10-30 at 09:04 PM.
    "I took the road less traveled- now where the hell am I?"
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    Voice acting videos:



  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kindablue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    I like them! Very nice! The wrinkles on the forehead make the person seem older in your drawing, but otherwise enjoyable. =)
    Thanks for the feedback!
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I'm mostly interested in learning how to draw people right now, so I made a list of musicians I like to give me something focused to work on. (I haven't decided whether I'll just keep adding names to the list or restart it once I've hit the end.) Unfortunately the only camera I have in the house is, as the kids would say, teh suck, so I'll scan it sometime later this week and hopefully it will come out better then.

    Drawing one:
    Spoiler
    Show










    Based on:
    Spoiler
    Show


    The list:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Finished:
    Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen


    Unfinished:
    Imogen Heap
    Dusty Springfield
    Neko Case
    Agustin Barrios
    Alexander James Adams
    Tosin Abasi
    Miles Davis
    Brent Hinds
    Billie Holiday
    Django Reinhardt
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Ingrid Michaelson
    Joe Pass
    Venetian Snares
    Mingus
    Sun Ra
    Michel Petrucciani
    Natacha Atlas
    Sarah Blasko
    Jacqueline du Pré
    It's very neat to see the finished product! I've been waiting for this!

    A couple of things I notice in looking at it - one is that his head seems more bent toward the bass (it is a bass, yes?) in the photo. I don't know if you did, but I'd suggest that when you're getting started, try and draw some lines to show where the midline of the body and head are going to be later on, to help establish their relative positions. Second is that his hand looks small compared to the rest of his body - I'm not sure what the best fix would be, but I'd suggest that once you have a rough set of lines to define the pose, try and find a largish section of the subject to use as an anchor and start filling in the details from there outward. It'll help with relative sizes and perspective as things come together, I think. On ponies, I personally used their giant melon heads, or else the most dynamic part of the pose...

    Overall, I gotta say that this was quite good, and you're way braver than me for starting with human subjects! They have so many fiddly little details to keep track of! I'm looking forward to the rest of your series
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    That game does seem to have an unusual number of Bronies per square meter.
    Luna Nos Custodit


    Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kindablue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    It's very neat to see the finished product! I've been waiting for this!

    A couple of things I notice in looking at it - one is that his head seems more bent toward the bass (it is a bass, yes?) in the photo.
    I noticed that right when I got the head to look halfway decent. And yeah, NHØP was a bassist.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I don't know if you did, but I'd suggest that when you're getting started, try and draw some lines to show where the midline of the body and head are going to be later on, to help establish their relative positions. Second is that his hand looks small compared to the rest of his body - I'm not sure what the best fix would be, but I'd suggest that once you have a rough set of lines to define the pose, try and find a largish section of the subject to use as an anchor and start filling in the details from there outward. It'll help with relative sizes and perspective as things come together, I think. On ponies, I personally used their giant melon heads, or else the most dynamic part of the pose...
    I did not, but I'll definitely do that next time. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Overall, I gotta say that this was quite good, and you're way braver than me for starting with human subjects! They have so many fiddly little details to keep track of! I'm looking forward to the rest of your series
    I'm really glad you made this thread. I never would've started something like this alone.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I'm mostly interested in learning how to draw people right now, so I made a list of musicians I like to give me something focused to work on. (I haven't decided whether I'll just keep adding names to the list or restart it once I've hit the end.) Unfortunately the only camera I have in the house is, as the kids would say, teh suck, so I'll scan it sometime later this week and hopefully it will come out better then.

    Drawing one:
    Spoiler
    Show










    Based on:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that's a challenging list! Good luck with the series.

    The big nitpick with this one is the upper part of the nose. It curves in too much, which makes both his forehead and nose seem like they're protruding way too much. It's a pity, because it's a good looking nose, it's just not quite the nose that fits with the rest of the picture.

    The other thing to work on is where the lighting falls on the face. Shading faces is tricky, but I'm noticing that getting the shading right is a major step to good pictures. Draw very light pencil boxes on the face in the areas that should be shaded, and then colour them in. Follow the lines of bones and natural curves. It adds a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Well, I could link the original picture:
    Spoiler
    Show


    portrait:
    Spoiler
    Show

    I couldn't see my hair, so I just drew it in shadow. I also just blocked the shadows together instead of trying for subtle shadow changes (Not very good at that). 0-0* I know that's something i need to work on. definitely. And the head is probably a little long too...

    Thank you for the criticism! =D
    Yeah, I see why that would be your response to that picture, but thing is that photo is rather poor quality, and by trying to accurately copy a blurry photograph you're destined to get a blurry drawing!

    My recommend with this is draw the head in it's entirety first and then add the shading. However, I'm generally behind on my pencil sketching and can't offer much advice as to actual shading techniques. Try looking at actual art books.

    Also remember that running your thumb over pencil sketches smudges the lines and makes much softer shadows. I also don't see any hint of a skeleton there - you'll notice that people draw a circle with a cross through it when they're drawing heads and, honest to goodness, they do it for a reason.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-30 at 10:07 PM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground
     
    monkeyboyinc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Anyone feel like helping me? I'm currently making an animation/trailer for this Fanfic set to this music.
    Although it's probably by no means good, I'd say it isn't going too badly either.

    However, I've now hit my third major hurdle. I don't have any experience drawing ponies, and I don't want every scene to look like it's been traced from Ponygenerator.

    A convenient place to start would be how to show a pony looking straight at the screen in shock and despair.

    It's kinda hard to explain the exact shot i'm making, so here's a Gif thrown together entirely at the last minute at great expense:
    Spoiler
    Show


    So, Are you a bad enough dude to help monkeyboyinc draw ponies?
    Awesome avatar is by kpenguin. Who is even more awesome than Thanqol. Yeah, I went there.

    Georgia is the only font ever worth typing in.

    I'm learning to play Dwarf Fortress! Come watch me suffer!

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    Anyone feel like helping me? I'm currently making an animation/trailer for this Fanfic set to this music.
    Although it's probably by no means good, I'd say it isn't going too badly either.

    However, I've now hit my third major hurdle. I don't have any experience drawing ponies, and I don't want every scene to look like it's been traced from Ponygenerator.

    A convenient place to start would be how to show a pony looking straight at the screen in shock and despair.

    It's kinda hard to explain the exact shot i'm making, so here's a Gif thrown together entirely at the last minute at great expense:
    Spoiler
    Show


    So, Are you a bad enough dude to help monkeyboyinc draw ponies?
    I'll post up a bunch of tutorials when I get home, but here's the basics for front on ponies:

    The eyes are really big and start really low, and reach up right to the start of the mane. Straight on ponies just have a single curve shape for a nose.
    Pony eyes have really big pupils, smallish irises, and between two and four white circles. Remember that the colour of the whites of the eyes is never pure white! The Irises also change colours multiple times too!
    Mouths are quite small

    Reference image:

    Spoiler
    Show
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kindablue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Now that's a challenging list! Good luck with the series.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The big nitpick with this one is the upper part of the nose. It curves in too much, which makes both his forehead and nose seem like they're protruding way too much. It's a pity, because it's a good looking nose, it's just not quite the nose that fits with the rest of the picture.
    Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with the way his face ended. Looking at the photo, its low quality makes that ear look a lot better than it actually is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The other thing to work on is where the lighting falls on the face. Shading faces is tricky, but I'm noticing that getting the shading right is a major step to good pictures. Draw very light pencil boxes on the face in the areas that should be shaded, and then colour them in. Follow the lines of bones and natural curves. It adds a lot.
    Every time I tried to shade his face it looked like he had a beard. Maybe I just wasn't shading light enough, though. I'll try the box method next time.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    DRAWING PONIES: THE TUTORIALS

    Here's a gallery of my collected ponytutes. Hope it helps!
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Thanks!


    Yeah, I had a lot of trouble with the way his face ended. Looking at the photo, its low quality makes that ear look a lot better than it actually is.

    Every time I tried to shade his face it looked like he had a beard. Maybe I just wasn't shading light enough, though. I'll try the box method next time.
    If you use sharp lines for shading then it looks like hair. Try a softer/lighter/smudgedier pencil.

    Oh yeah, on that topic, everyone should have at least a H, 2B, 4B and 6B pencil for pencil drawing. The difference a range of tools makes over a common HB pencil is astounding.

    Faces are really tricky in general, so especially in the early days, cheat. Draw lots and lots of construction lines. Sketch out your proportions clearly before you draw the picture. Draw bald people to get an idea for just how big the skull is. You're not going to be making great-looking pictures on your first try, so feel completely free to do basic parts in isolation - just practising eyes, or noses, or mouths - if it helps you get a better idea of how to do it.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground
     
    monkeyboyinc's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I'll post up a bunch of tutorials when I get home, but here's the basics for front on ponies:

    The eyes are really big and start really low, and reach up right to the start of the mane. Straight on ponies just have a single curve shape for a nose.
    Pony eyes have really big pupils, smallish irises, and between two and four white circles. Remember that the colour of the whites of the eyes is never pure white! The Irises also change colours multiple times too!
    Mouths are quite small

    Reference image:

    [SPOILER]Huge Twilight
    Thanks Thanqol! Some of that is really useful. Other parts, not so useful. But it's totally my fault, not yours. I really didn't explain enough before. I'm going for a kinda Andrew Hussie But not as pixely style. This flash animation should show you what I mean without spoiling anything major in the story. I don't really care about colour as much as I care about shading. In fact, I'm deliberately trying to make the first half of my animation as red and dull as possible.

    So I should have probably asked about how to shade a pony.
    Anyway, I'm tired. Don't blame me if none of that above post makes sense. Good night everyone!
    Awesome avatar is by kpenguin. Who is even more awesome than Thanqol. Yeah, I went there.

    Georgia is the only font ever worth typing in.

    I'm learning to play Dwarf Fortress! Come watch me suffer!

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyinc View Post
    Thanks Thanqol! Some of that is really useful. Other parts, not so useful. But it's totally my fault, not yours. I really didn't explain enough before. I'm going for a kinda Andrew Hussie But not as pixely style. This flash animation should show you what I mean without spoiling anything major in the story. I don't really care about colour as much as I care about shading. In fact, I'm deliberately trying to make the first half of my animation as red and dull as possible.

    So I should have probably asked about how to shade a pony.
    Anyway, I'm tired. Don't blame me if none of that above post makes sense. Good night everyone!
    Only example I have for front-on shading offhoof is this

    Spoiler
    Show


    As to how to do it, that depends a lot on what program you're using and what tools you have access to. I still haven't figured it out myself, though I feel like I'm onto something with the airbrush.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kindablue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    If you use sharp lines for shading then it looks like hair. Try a softer/lighter/smudgedier pencil.

    Oh yeah, on that topic, everyone should have at least a H, 2B, 4B and 6B pencil for pencil drawing. The difference a range of tools makes over a common HB pencil is astounding.
    How does that work? I vaguely remember an art teacher in high school telling me that the brittler ones are darker. Are they smudgier too?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Faces are really tricky in general, so especially in the early days, cheat. Draw lots and lots of construction lines. Sketch out your proportions clearly before you draw the picture. Draw bald people to get an idea for just how big the skull is. You're not going to be making great-looking pictures on your first try, so feel completely free to do basic parts in isolation - just practising eyes, or noses, or mouths - if it helps you get a better idea of how to do it.
    I guess Joe Pass is next then. And yeah, I was planning on doing individual body parts as well. Thanks again for the feedback.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    How does that work? I vaguely remember an art teacher in high school telling me that the brittler ones are darker. Are they smudgier too?
    Yeah, the more B you get the softer the lead is, the more H the harder. This means they tend to become rounded at the tip quite quickly, produce wider, powdery-er, darker lines.

    Spoiler
    Show


    This is Day 33. The main lines were done with a 2B, the darker shading was a 4B. I've come to love the 4B as a main tool, but it's good to have a variety.

    Harder leads produce very faint, easily erasable lines if you press lightly on them, which makes them great for skeletoning. H pencils also make good silvery metallic colours. A set of pencils will cost you maybe $10, and just play around with them until you get their measure.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I'm really glad you made this thread. I never would've started something like this alone.
    I'm glad to see so much participation! It's really a wonderful thing to see everyone contributing and helping each other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    If you use sharp lines for shading then it looks like hair. Try a softer/lighter/smudgedier pencil.

    Oh yeah, on that topic, everyone should have at least a H, 2B, 4B and 6B pencil for pencil drawing. The difference a range of tools makes over a common HB pencil is astounding.

    Faces are really tricky in general, so especially in the early days, cheat. Draw lots and lots of construction lines. Sketch out your proportions clearly before you draw the picture. Draw bald people to get an idea for just how big the skull is. You're not going to be making great-looking pictures on your first try, so feel completely free to do basic parts in isolation - just practising eyes, or noses, or mouths - if it helps you get a better idea of how to do it.
    My present to myself today was a set of sketching pencils

    Also, heed this man's advice on construction lines! They will save your flanks!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    That game does seem to have an unusual number of Bronies per square meter.
    Luna Nos Custodit


    Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Dirtbag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Ponythread Community Draw-thingy GO!

    So while intently listening to Discords story time in the IRC, I had an image pop into my head.

    Going off from what was described from the scene during the RP, There is Discord sitting in a overly fluffy chair with Phantom Fox cuddled in a ball on his lap. Here's the list of the ponies who were there: KindaBlue, SiuiS, Dirtbag, PhantomFox, Braz, Shadowy, Jade aurora, Midnight, Princess Luna, Beeskee, Flashpoint, Leo, Neoseanster (Inkblot).

    I removed my rough draft cause it was too big. (3000x4000 pixels too big. Dumb Camera.) So let's just play off the imagination of everypony who wants to contribute.

    This is a group project as somepony suggested, so if everypony could give their two cents and yes, /your/ two cents is valued just as much as any other pony.

    With that, the ponies mentioned above are the ones who were also in during Story Time, I'd like everypony who was there to put up their OC information so that the artists can create a mental image and start working on it.

    So, if all the other ponies agree, you can add your OC information and/or picture to be added in.

    As for ponies who may want to be added, also post your OC information or a picture so you can be added.

    All the ponies can work on this, so everypony should start practicing their drawing and help out!

    I'm not a very good leader, also I'm busy, so I'm just posting the idea, some other pony will have to take over from here.

    More RP stuff: Jade, Midnight, Luna, Braz, and SiuiS were together. The first two were constantly flirting fooling around. I thought Flashpoint was a dragon so I pictured a large Silver Dragon beside/around the ponies cuddled up with them.

    I'm not good at camera angles so somepony else should come up with where the shot is taken from. I thought from behind Discord but... :/

    Add or remove anything you think may fit. This is just a starting point.

    And have a fun learning experience everypony! :D

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Dirtbag, are you presenting that as a challenge for the drawthread to do in it's entirety? Or are you trying it on your own, but requesting help? I'm unclear of exactly what you're requesting or what objectives you want achieved.

    You can also resize photographs via Imageshack without much trouble.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Dirtbag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Dirtbag, are you presenting that as a challenge for the drawthread to do in it's entirety? Or are you trying it on your own, but requesting help? I'm unclear of exactly what you're requesting or what objectives you want achieved.

    You can also resize photographs via Imageshack without much trouble.
    I can re-size via Photoshop, but my head is spinning cause I'm tired. @.@

    This is for the community to work on as a whole. I probably wont be able to help cause I'm to busy. I just saw an image in my head and thought it would be pretty cool. Somepony else had the idea of the community doing it.

    Edit: Uh, I was informed that Shadowy was trying to hide during the story, so that's another detail.
    Last edited by Dirtbag; 2011-10-31 at 12:44 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Grif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    Ponythread Community Draw-thingy GO!

    So while intently listening to Discords story time in the IRC, I had an image pop into my head.

    Going off from what was described from the scene during the RP, There is Discord sitting in a overly fluffy chair with Phantom Fox cuddled in a ball on his lap. Here's the list of the ponies who were there: KindaBlue, SiuiS, Dirtbag, PhantomFox, Braz, Shadowy, Jade aurora, Midnight, Princess Luna, Beeskee, Flashpoint, Leo, Neoseanster (Inkblot).

    I removed my rough draft cause it was too big. (3000x4000 pixels too big. Dumb Camera.) So let's just play off the imagination of everypony who wants to contribute.

    This is a group project as somepony suggested, so if everypony could give their two cents and yes, /your/ two cents is valued just as much as any other pony.

    With that, the ponies mentioned above are the ones who were also in during Story Time, I'd like everypony who was there to put up their OC information so that the artists can create a mental image and start working on it.

    So, if all the other ponies agree, you can add your OC information and/or picture to be added in.

    As for ponies who may want to be added, also post your OC information or a picture so you can be added.

    All the ponies can work on this, so everypony should start practicing their drawing and help out!

    I'm not a very good leader, also I'm busy, so I'm just posting the idea, some other pony will have to take over from here.

    More RP stuff: Jade, Midnight, Luna, Braz, and SiuiS were together. The first two were constantly flirting fooling around. I thought Flashpoint was a dragon so I pictured a large Silver Dragon beside/around the ponies cuddled up with them.

    I'm not good at camera angles so somepony else should come up with where the shot is taken from. I thought from behind Discord but... :/

    Add or remove anything you think may fit. This is just a starting point.

    And have a fun learning experience everypony! :D
    Curse my real-life for missing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    We don't have enough pony to fill a subforum. We have enough friendship to fill a ponythread.
    Awesome Sliverpine ponytar by Dirtytabs.

    Placeholder for former avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent Ponytar thanks to Dirtytabs.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Sean Mirrsen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Togliatti, Russia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    Ponythread Community Draw-thingy GO!

    So while intently listening to Discords story time in the IRC, I had an image pop into my head.

    Going off from what was described from the scene during the RP, There is Discord sitting in a overly fluffy chair with Phantom Fox cuddled in a ball on his lap. Here's the list of the ponies who were there: KindaBlue, SiuiS, Dirtbag, PhantomFox, Braz, Shadowy, Jade aurora, Midnight, Princess Luna, Beeskee, Flashpoint, Leo, Neoseanster (Inkblot).

    I removed my rough draft cause it was too big. (3000x4000 pixels too big. Dumb Camera.) So let's just play off the imagination of everypony who wants to contribute.

    This is a group project as somepony suggested, so if everypony could give their two cents and yes, /your/ two cents is valued just as much as any other pony.

    With that, the ponies mentioned above are the ones who were also in during Story Time, I'd like everypony who was there to put up their OC information so that the artists can create a mental image and start working on it.

    So, if all the other ponies agree, you can add your OC information and/or picture to be added in.

    As for ponies who may want to be added, also post your OC information or a picture so you can be added.

    All the ponies can work on this, so everypony should start practicing their drawing and help out!

    I'm not a very good leader, also I'm busy, so I'm just posting the idea, some other pony will have to take over from here.

    More RP stuff: Jade, Midnight, Luna, Braz, and SiuiS were together. The first two were constantly flirting fooling around. I thought Flashpoint was a dragon so I pictured a large Silver Dragon beside/around the ponies cuddled up with them.

    I'm not good at camera angles so somepony else should come up with where the shot is taken from. I thought from behind Discord but... :/

    Add or remove anything you think may fit. This is just a starting point.

    And have a fun learning experience everypony! :D
    I've no idea what roughly 85% of those characters look like.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Level8Mudcrab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    I don't really have any drawing experience, nor do I think I'm too good at it. Nevertheless, it's something I've been wanting to practice, and this seems like a great thread to do just that. So, onto the main event. Have a hoofdrawn Twilight Sparkle.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Using this picture as a reference,
    Spoiler
    Show


    For a first time drawing, I like to think I did fairly well. I think I need to improve on legs and head. Confound those eyes. And just about everything else too. At any rate, advice/criticism is appreciated.



    I don't really know enough to be giving decent advice to other people, so I'll just do what I can.

    @Druid. I found drawing larger versions of eyes seperately helped a bit. With bigger ones I didn't have to worry about it being all small and fiddly, so I could practice. You should have seen my first attempt at eyes.
    I do like your Rainbow.

    @Sean Mirrsen
    I like it, will be great to see how it turns out. I'll echo the above comments about the ponies looking a little meaty though.


    And thanks for those guides, Thanqol. I'll have a look through them for when I next try this.
    Thanks to Skeppio for my avatar.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Dirtbag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I've no idea what roughly 85% of those characters look like.
    That's why I told them to put their OC pictures/info in here.

    Or I at least put it in the Main Ponythread.

    After I get some sleep I'll send them messages if they hadn't already posted by then.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

    Quote Originally Posted by Level8Mudcrab View Post
    I don't really have any drawing experience, nor do I think I'm too good at it. Nevertheless, it's something I've been wanting to practice, and this seems like a great thread to do just that. So, onto the main event. Have a hoofdrawn Twilight Sparkle.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Using this picture as a reference,
    Spoiler
    Show


    For a first time drawing, I like to think I did fairly well. I think I need to improve on legs and head. Confound those eyes. And just about everything else too. At any rate, advice/criticism is appreciated.
    Good heavens, that eye. That's the most obvious thing, so I don't need to point that out further. Just... well -

    Spoiler
    Show


    This is a SiuiS sketch of the first step of drawing a pony. Make sure everything is in the right place with construction lines, make sure everything's lined up before you start detailing. Helps avoid obvious mistakes

    Legs also need to be thicker, but the curve of the chin is solid, good job with that
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •