New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Day 34: I REGRET NOTHING!
    Spoiler
    Show

NOTHING!
    I regret everything

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Hello all!*

I am writing this to inform you all that I will be departing temporarily. *This upcoming Tuesday, February the seventh, I will be on a plane to Texas to enter basic military training.
    Of course, this means no Internet. So I bid a fond farewell to you all. Being here has meant a lot to me; it's. Even a place to lose stress, *but also one of much stress; reminding me of many of the flaws I have inbuilt that I need to deal with. Hopefully, my imminent demise at the hands of the training instructors can help alleviate this somewhat *(if you consider death a good Cure for... Well, anything really). *

(add to posts at giantitp)
    I've enjoyed reading and following everything you guys do in here, the creativity and imagination is astounding to watch; it flows so naturally throughout here that it seems daunting, even! I hope to return to this great place at some point in the near future!*
    Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Looks like your sensitivity is too high. Your drop off rate is really, really fast. Although that could also be that your brush size is far too small. Use a brush that's too big, I normally use 13 in photoshop, but it depends on the size of the document, and use less pressure. The more pressure you use, the less smooth the line will get if you're not being very fast and precise (which is how you should be doing it anyway).

Also, if you're using Photoshop, turn on the graphics setting thingy in one of the menus...I'll give proper directions later if you want, so you can rotate the canvas freely like in SAI. Don't try and do it all at the normal angle, since your hand just isn't built to draw certain lines.
    Ah! Yeah, if you could send us a few more details on doing this in, say Photoshop when you get time, I would also be grateful!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Ah! Yeah, if you could send us a few more details on doing this in, say Photoshop when you get time, I would also be grateful!
    I don't use it myself, because it does certain other things that I dislike, but that's just personal preference.

Now, to turn on these graphics thingies...Go to...
    Edit > Preferences > Performance and tick 'Enable OpenGL Drawing. You'll probably have to restart PS, but things will do extra things now...Just look at the settings and whatnot. Like I said, I don't use it (:

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Hello all!*

I am writing this to inform you all that I will be departing temporarily. *This upcoming Tuesday, February the seventh, I will be on a plane to Texas to enter basic military training.
    Of course, this means no Internet. So I bid a fond farewell to you all. Being here has meant a lot to me; it's. Even a place to lose stress, *but also one of much stress; reminding me of many of the flaws I have inbuilt that I need to deal with. Hopefully, my imminent demise at the hands of the training instructors can help alleviate this somewhat *(if you consider death a good Cure for... Well, anything really). *

I've enjoyed reading and following everything you guys do in here, the creativity and imagination is astounding to watch; it flows so naturally throughout here that it seems daunting, even! I hope to return to this great place at some point in the near future!*
    Good luck to you sir! Come back when you can ^^

I have eight, although 4 of them are more for photo editing. Anyway...My main 4 are set to Undo many (so alt+ctrl+z in photoshop, since undo only does one step), B (for brush) E (for eraser) and Alt (for colour picker). Anything else and I sort of just mash the keyboard until I get the right button. But that's because I only work in shortcuts, I'll barely touch the toolbar unless I'm doing obscure tool changing like colour changer brush and different lassos and stuff.
    Currently I have Undo, Alt, Brush and Magic wand. The pen the tablet comes with also has an eraser tool on the end, which is neat.

Looks like your sensitivity is too high. Your drop off rate is really, really fast. Although that could also be that your brush size is far too small. Use a brush that's too big, I normally use 13 in photoshop, but it depends on the size of the document, and use less pressure. The more pressure you use, the less smooth the line will get if you're not being very fast and precise (which is how you should be doing it anyway).
    Yeah, I've dropped the sensitivity a little and I've noticed the difference. Still not sure if it's perfect yet, still need to experiment.

Also, if you're using Photoshop, turn on the graphics setting thingy in one of the menus...I'll give proper directions later if you want, so you can rotate the canvas freely like in SAI. Don't try and do it all at the normal angle, since your hand just isn't built to draw certain lines.
    I checked and I already seem to have that setting on. I've never used SAI so I'm not sure what you mean by "rotate the canvas freely".

Anywho, yesterday's stuff, since I didn't feel like posting. Firstly, a Rainbow Dash piece, since I wasn't sure if I'd drawn her before or not.
    Spoiler
    Show

Good grief is drawing crossed arms ever hard! D:

And also a quick little attempt I did in Flash to see if there was much difference. There was.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hello ladies!

I'm not sure how to erase the guidelines yet. Normally I can just break the vectors and delete the lines I don't want, but it didn't work this time for some reason.

And today I didn't feel like doing much, so I redid the tail on my pseudonatural pony, plus cleaned up some of the lines. You'll probably be able to see how changing the sensitivity affected the lines.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Firbolg in the Playground

Good luck to you sir! Come back when you can ^^

Currently I have Undo, Alt, Brush and Magic wand. The pen the tablet comes with also has an eraser tool on the end, which is neat.

Yeah, I've dropped the sensitivity a little and I've noticed the difference. Still not sure if it's perfect yet, still need to experiment.

I checked and I already seem to have that setting on. I've never used SAI so I'm not sure what you mean by "rotate the canvas freely".

Anywho, yesterday's stuff, since I didn't feel like posting. Firstly, a Rainbow Dash piece, since I wasn't sure if I'd drawn her before or not.
    Spoiler
    Show

And also a quick little attempt I did in Flash to see if there was much difference. There was.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hello ladies!

I'm not sure how to erase the guidelines yet. Normally I can just break the vectors and delete the lines I don't want, but it didn't work this time for some reason.

And today I didn't feel like doing much, so I redid the tail on my pseudonatural pony, plus cleaned up some of the lines. You'll probably be able to see how changing the sensitivity affected the lines.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That pseudopony looks very off-putting. I like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #605
    Troll in the Playground

Press R, rotate canvas like you would a piece of paper in real life.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haven't been drawing do to several things, among them laziness...

Hello all!*

Good luck with basic training!
    I've been spending the last week or so packing to move myself. I hope you have enough free time that you don't give up drawing completely or, heaven forbid, ponies while training.
    I will miss your posts, and I hope you come back sooner then later.

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

Spoiler
    Show
    Hello ladies!
    *snip*

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    That pseudonatural pony is awesome!
    Also, crossed arms/legs (as well as other anthro positions)*are* hard. I have a hard time figuring out how pony arms are attached to their shoulders, are they like a human, or a horse?
    A nit pick, I think Rainbow Dash's arms/legs are kinda skinny.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    That pseudopony looks very off-putting. I like it!
    Hehe, glad you like it! I've been on a bit of a Far Plane and Eldritch Abomination kick recently, so I've had this in my mind for a while now.

Press R, rotate canvas like you would a piece of paper in real life.
    Hmmm *Tries it* Oh my shoes, that's great! Thanks, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    That pseudonatural pony is awesome!
    Also, crossed arms/legs (as well as other anthro positions)*are* hard. I have a hard time figuring out how pony arms are attached to their shoulders, are they like a human, or a horse?
    A nit pick, I think Rainbow Dash's arms/legs are kinda skinny.
    Glad you like him!

I see what you mean about the skinny limbs. They just kind of fell that way as I was drawing them. What I'm most happy about with that pic is simply the fact that I remembered to colour the lines this time!

Day 38. A friend of mine who roleplays as Bon Bon over at the Canterlot forums has been feeling under the weather recently, so I drew her a cute Bon Bon pic to cheer her up.

Unfortunately the forums are now down for maintenance so I can't show her :/
    Spoiler
    Show

I think I messed up her mane a little. It should be much more voluminous (did I spell that right?), but overall it's okay for a quick pic.

I also did some human face practice. It was horrible. I have now confirmed that I simply can no longer draw humans. Not that I was much good before, mind...
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

I don't use it myself, because it does certain other things that I dislike, but that's just personal preference.

Now, to turn on these graphics thingies...Go to...
    Edit > Preferences > Performance and tick 'Enable OpenGL Drawing. You'll probably have to restart PS, but things will do extra things now...Just look at the settings and whatnot. Like I said, I don't use it (:
    Marvelous! I will have to play around with this now. Many thanks!

Day 38. A friend of mine who roleplays as Bon Bon over at the Canterlot forums has been feeling under the weather recently, so I drew her a cute Bon Bon pic to cheer her up.

Unfortunately the forums are now down for maintenance so I can't show her :/
    Spoiler
    Show

I think I messed up her mane a little. It should be much more voluminous (did I spell that right?), but overall it's okay for a quick pic.

I also did some human face practice. It was horrible. I have now confirmed that I simply can no longer draw humans. Not that I was much good before, mind...
    I agree with you on the hair. It's always so much larger than you expect it to be! I usually try to figure out where it hits on the ear (or by how much it runs over the ear) to get a feel for the volume. My other nitpick would be that the muzzle looks a little squashed; in that sort of 3/4s view, you usually start to see the "beak" projecting out to get a better sense of where the nose lies.

Also, congrats on 38 days and going strong! Keep fighting drawing the good fight draw!

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #609
    Troll in the Playground

My other nitpick would be that the muzzle looks a little squashed; in that sort of 3/4s view, you usually start to see the "beak" projecting out to get a better sense of where the nose lies.
    Mmm, see your point. I'm still not used to the angles I guess.

Also, congrats on 38 days and going strong! Keep fighting drawing the good fight draw!
    Many thanks! I'll be honest, it's hard sometimes. The only time I get to draw on weekdays is after work, and a lot of the time I just plain don't want to draw, because I'm tired or cranky, or just in the mood for playing lots of video games. This is when I simply crank out a mediocre 10 minute sketch and say "Eh, it'll do."

Speaking of which, this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Based on this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wrong angle, eyes too small, flat hair, wobbly lineart. But good enough, considering that I've been on a computer all day and my eyes are starting to hurt.

I'mma go lie down. X_X
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

Many thanks! I'll be honest, it's hard sometimes. The only time I get to draw on weekdays is after work, and a lot of the time I just plain don't want to draw, because I'm tired or cranky, or just in the mood for playing lots of video games. This is when I simply crank out a mediocre 10 minute sketch and say "Eh, it'll do."
    I know how that goes

Still, I find that after a while, drawing can become pretty relaxing in and of itself, and I've come to enjoy doing it as a way to wind down after work.

Speaking of which, this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Based on this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wrong angle, eyes too small, flat hair, wobbly lineart. But good enough, considering that I've been on a computer all day and my eyes are starting to hurt.

I'mma go lie down. X_X
    Despite the things you pointed out, I think there's a lot of success here. It definitely captures the emotion present in the original, and a lot of the lines seem right, even if the overall tilt of the head is a bit off.

And now for some of my own long-delayed updates!

First, a perspective drawing of a corner of my apartment:
    Spoiler
    Show

And then a profile drawing based on one by John Singer Sargent (who is really fantastic, by the way!):
    Spoiler
    Show

One of the nice things about this learning to draw stuff is that I've run across a lot of artists I admire in the process, and I'm working to get some prints of theirs to put up around the house.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

I know how that goes

Still, I find that after a while, drawing can become pretty relaxing in and of itself, and I've come to enjoy doing it as a way to wind down after work.
    It's a bit of an oddity for me. I can't say that I actually like the process of drawing. I often find it quite frustrating when I can't get things how I want them. But when things go right I get a great deal of satisfaction in seeing the end result.

Despite the things you pointed out, I think there's a lot of success here. It definitely captures the emotion present in the original, and a lot of the lines seem right, even if the overall tilt of the head is a bit off.
    Hm, I guess you have a point. Thanks!

And now for some of my own long-delayed updates!

First, a perspective drawing of a corner of my apartment:
    Spoiler
    Show

And then a profile drawing based on one by John Singer Sargent (who is really fantastic, by the way!):
    Spoiler
    Show

One of the nice things about this learning to draw stuff is that I've run across a lot of artists I admire in the process, and I'm working to get some prints of theirs to put up around the house.
    Good stuff! The face looks very good and the perspective all looks correct to me.

Day 40. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...it is!

Yeah, I even don't know.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

Day 41. Realised that it was 11.40pm and I hadn't done any drawing. Whoops! 5 minute sketch ensues:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613
    Troll in the Playground

Good stuff! The face looks very good and the perspective all looks correct to me.
    Thanks, although it's surprisingly easy to make a copy of a grandmaster's work look good...

<.<

Day 40. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...it is!

Yeah, I even don't know.
    I have never wanted to hug a dolphin more than I do at this moment.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

Didn't have time to post yesterday. We went out to a restaurant for my Mum's birthday. But I did do a quick drawing of the penguin plushie that is on my PC desk. (Day 42)
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 43, I drew one of my OCs. Oatmeal is a paranormal investigator, looking into the disappearance of his brother, who he believes was abducted.

Some ponies say that he is crazy...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

Day 44. I looked at my watch. It was time to draw. I thought to myself: Aw, do I have to? I just don't wanna today!

'bout an hour and a half later (maybe less, I did spend some time looking for refs) I had done this. Still not finished, but I'm actually planning on colouring it and making it into a little comic for H&H/Valentine's day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 44. I looked at my watch. It was time to draw. I thought to myself: Aw, do I have to? I just don't wanna today!

'bout an hour and a half later (maybe less, I did spend some time looking for refs) I had done this. Still not finished, but I'm actually planning on colouring it and making it into a little comic for H&H/Valentine's day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your image appears to be broken.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Your image appears to be broken.
    That's odd. It was working a minute ago.

Ah, I uploaded it to Canterlot, and the site seems to be having some trouble. I've reuploaded to Photobucket.

Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

That's odd. It was working a minute ago.

Ah, I uploaded it to Canterlot, and the site seems to be having some trouble. I've reuploaded to Photobucket.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, now I can see it. I think the ponies look pretty good overall; the proportions look correct and manes and tails look pretty good. I'd be interested to see this colored, and to see the comic as a whole!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, now I can see it. I think the ponies look pretty good overall; the proportions look correct and manes and tails look pretty good. I'd be interested to see this colored, and to see the comic as a whole!
    Thanks! And here's the finished product, after... oh, a good two hours I'd reckon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

Day 46. I forgot about drawing until about 11pm and didn't have time to do what I had planned before (more human practice) so instead I drew a pony in a hat.
    Spoiler
    Show

He was supposed to be a ponified version of one of my human characters, but I didn't really get the look right, so he's more of a generic pony with a sweet hat.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

Day 46. I forgot about drawing until about 11pm and didn't have time to do what I had planned before (more human practice) so instead I drew a pony in a hat.
    Spoiler
    Show

He was supposed to be a ponified version of one of my human characters, but I didn't really get the look right, so he's more of a generic pony with a sweet hat.
    Hmm, the muzzle looks long compared to the face and ears, but it also looks like you're getting a more solid feel for working with the tablet.

In my own news, I've got something in the works (well, several things, but a lot of them so far have been exercises or things that don't seem worth posting) but it's a bit of a departure from my other stuff...in particular, kinda saucy (though still board safe, don't worry).

I blame the IRC. Also Midnight. Definitely Midnight.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, the muzzle looks long compared to the face and ears, but it also looks like you're getting a more solid feel for working with the tablet.
    I'm doing better with it, yeah. I'm still a little wobbly, but I think that's at least partially because of the fact that I'm balancing it on my knee to draw.

In my own news, I've got something in the works (well, several things, but a lot of them so far have been exercises or things that don't seem worth posting) but it's a bit of a departure from my other stuff...in particular, kinda saucy (though still board safe, don't worry).

I blame the IRC. Also Midnight. Definitely Midnight.
    Oooooh! Exciting stuff! I look forward to it.

Anyway, Day 47. Drew some human for body practice. I should probably be using pictures of real people instead of my how to draw manga stuff, but the book was there so... yeah.
    Spoiler
    Show

Not too happy, but it's better than some of my earlier efforts. Tomorrow I might try adding some clothes and hair to him. And maybe redo that bland looking face.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

I'm doing better with it, yeah. I'm still a little wobbly, but I think that's at least partially because of the fact that I'm balancing it on my knee to draw.
    Yeah, I'm sure that doesn't help. Still, progress is good, and just think how smooth the lines will be once you get a proper support!

Oooooh! Exciting stuff! I look forward to it.
    <.<

Well, I posted it in the thread, I guess I can post it here too...

Caution: 20% More Plot - Proceed at own Risk
    Spoiler
    Show
    Linked for paranoia-
    Nurse Midsy

Anyway, Day 47. Drew some human for body practice. I should probably be using pictures of real people instead of my how to draw manga stuff, but the book was there so... yeah.
    Spoiler
    Show

Not too happy, but it's better than some of my earlier efforts. Tomorrow I might try adding some clothes and hair to him. And maybe redo that bland looking face.
    Lines are still looking good! The proportions look ok lengthwise, but I'd argue that he's kinda spindly. The neck in particular needs to be wider, and I think his arms and legs could be a bit thicker, though some of that may be the manga style; still, those are my thoughts.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-02-16 at 10:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

<.<

Well, I posted it in the thread, I guess I can post it here too...

Caution: 20% More Plot - Proceed at own Risk
    Spoiler
    Show
    Linked for paranoia-
    Nurse Midsy
    Very nice! The body is looking pretty good (though the rump looks perhaps a little too voluminous for a pony, but that might just be the socks changing my perception of it.) On the technical side, the line of her... *ahem* rear needs to change colour where it meets the panties. As it is, the purple line going into the navy looks odd.

Lines are still looking good! The proportions look ok lengthwise, but I'd argue that he's kinda spindly. The neck in particular needs to be wider, and I think his arms and legs could be a bit thicker, though some of that may be the manga style; still, those are my thoughts.
    Yeah, he is looking a little gangly. His arms are too long and I don't think I made them of equal length.

None of these things were fixed when I did this (Day 48):
    Spoiler
    Show

Damn, I didn't see that line coming out of his head before. I'll fix that later.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Very nice! The body is looking pretty good (though the rump looks perhaps a little too voluminous for a pony, but that might just be the socks changing my perception of it.) On the technical side, the line of her... *ahem* rear needs to change colour where it meets the panties. As it is, the purple line going into the navy looks odd.
    Ooh, a chance to talk about the mechanics of this thing! I've actually kind of been wanting to...

So first off, yeah, I'll agree that the rear is a little large; I think the reason for that is both that I put the fabric folds in a little bit off which changes the perceived ratios of body:head:rear somewhat. Also, it is designed to emphasize that particular region, so it's also somewhat intentional...

Also, the navy isn't actually undergarments. It's basically the closest thing to an Easter egg I have in the picture, as I once saw a plot-shot of Luna where they had drawn her cutie mark so that it curved around the flank to give the impression of underwear. Since Midnight's mark has the same sort of background to it, I decided to borrow the idea, although I think I made the edges too uniform for the impression to be really clear.

Yeah, he is looking a little gangly. His arms are too long and I don't think I made them of equal length.

None of these things were fixed when I did this (Day 48):
    Spoiler
    Show

Damn, I didn't see that line coming out of his head before. I'll fix that later.
    Very respectable looking fellow with a shirt and pants on, methinks.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

Also, the navy isn't actually undergarments. It's basically the closest thing to an Easter egg I have in the picture, as I once saw a plot-shot of Luna where they had drawn her cutie mark so that it curved around the flank to give the impression of underwear. Since Midnight's mark has the same sort of background to it, I decided to borrow the idea, although I think I made the edges too uniform for the impression to be really clear.
    Aaah. I did wonder actually, but I couldn't remember what Midnight's cutie mark was so I wasn't sure. I think what I said about the line colour there still holds though.

Day 49. Decided to see if drawing ponies helps with other four-legged creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, trying to practice cloth folds. Any advice on that would be appreciated since I'm finding it really tricky to get it looking right.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627
    Colossus in the Playground

Aaah. I did wonder actually, but I couldn't remember what Midnight's cutie mark was so I wasn't sure. I think what I said about the line colour there still holds though.

Day 49. Decided to see if drawing ponies helps with other four-legged creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, trying to practice cloth folds. Any advice on that would be appreciated since I'm finding it really tricky to get it looking right.
    Cloth folds: loose V shapes actually look a bit better than abstract lines. Like veins, but for clothing. My real advice is to buy an art book on the topic 'cause that's what I used.

My other advice is try drawing real horses and quadrapeds just to get an example for their muscle groupings. Real horse anatomy is the model for ponies, even if they deviate from it, it's totally worth learning.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The back legs do not seem as "bent" as they should be. As it is, it looks like that it would be bent at a 30 degree angle if it tried to stand on both pairs of legs. Also, yeah, loose V shapes are the thing to do for cloth folds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Cloth folds: loose V shapes actually look a bit better than abstract lines. Like veins, but for clothing. My real advice is to buy an art book on the topic 'cause that's what I used.

My other advice is try drawing real horses and quadrapeds just to get an example for their muscle groupings. Real horse anatomy is the model for ponies, even if they deviate from it, it's totally worth learning.
    Definitely good advice there. I'll look into both.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    The back legs do not seem as "bent" as they should be. As it is, it looks like that it would be bent at a 30 degree angle if it tried to stand on both pairs of legs. Also, yeah, loose V shapes are the thing to do for cloth folds.
    Eeeyup. Noticed the back legs after I posted. I'll remember for next time.

Day 50 (Fifty days! )
    Did some work on my animation, and was ready to call it a day, but then I decided that I should draw something extra, so I tried drawing a pony looking up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who is she? What is she looking at? Why is her cutie mark a Mario star?

Dunno.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

Definitely good advice there. I'll look into both.

Eeeyup. Noticed the back legs after I posted. I'll remember for next time.

Day 50 (Fifty days! )
    Did some work on my animation, and was ready to call it a day, but then I decided that I should draw something extra, so I tried drawing a pony looking up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who is she? What is she looking at? Why is her cutie mark a Mario star?

Dunno.
    Congrats on 50! Keep up the good work!

I've got something inspired again by a request from the IRC. One of Raz's characters this time, and more innocent than the last nurse pic:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, there are quite a few things wrong with this, but I'm just glad I got it finished. It's not terrible for my first vixen picture, I suppose...
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-02-21 at 11:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show