New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    It looks like Birdo...

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm with Bakuel; this is really neat! I particularly like the hair, and although the face looks a little bit off, it's still a neat style. I'd be interested to see more versions of the cast like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Day 3,

Spoiler
    Show
    Keeping up with this is hard, I don't know if I'll make it till the end of the week. Maybe I'll try to do a 3-5 sketch a week challenge...
    Anyway, here is a one hour doodle of a Twilight Rapidash. It's pretty bad. She's supposed to be breathing flames, yet she could also be sucking them up with a straw. The flames are lazy, I need to learn a good way to draw a abstract flames quickly. Yeah, there are a million things wrong with this one. But I wanted to only take roughly a hour long to force myself to draw and make better judgements on the fly.

Hmm, I think the issue with the flames might be that the bottom bends down toward the ground, leading to the 'sipping' impression. If you look at something like a flamethrower, the bottom of the fire line is more or less level with the arc of the trajectory, with the flames drawn up and away from it.

Hopefully that made some sense; it might be easier to just show, so let me know if that's confusing and I can try to sketch out my best version of it (I'm miserable with flames though, so no promises).
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #662
    Dwarf in the Playground

I actually really, really, like this one.
    The design isn't show accurate, but it is very unique with the larger hairdo and more "manga-ish?" style eyes. It's very cartoony but in a different style besides the show and still looks and feels like Pinkie. The mouth part does look a bit like Birdo, but it doesn't look that bad. The curves and circles in her hair are wonderful. I don't know if you are trying to develop your own style of drawing ponies, but it works and is very nice!
    My only nit-pick would be that the nose doesn't seem to sit between the eyes, but this may be a part of a more abstract style you are leaning toward. Perhaps you can lengthen the line to go between the eyes, or attach the nose line to the farthest eye like they do in the show.
    You should do one with a body!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I'm with Bakuel; this is really neat! I particularly like the hair, and although the face looks a little bit off, it's still a neat style. I'd be interested to see more versions of the cast like this!

I can't do show accurate. To many rules I have to follow. I like learning my own style, this style I've got going now is influenced by my love for the original Fluttershy drawings that I used the first time and my love for anime.

I actually never noticed the nose thing and completely over looked it, but now that you pointed it out I see it. Fixed it on my drawing but to lazy to upload again. X/

I'll try more with bodies. I noticed I'm doing that same mistake with other heads, so I want to fix that before I start going all over again. The mouth is still a puzzle to me. I feel I need to work with it more and proportions are still kicking me in the behind. XD I'll try to do the main cast, just have to learn each ones individual quirks.

As for your picture, I like the flames. They look so marshmalloie. The only thing throwing me off is her hind legs. They are all like D:
    Last edited by Dirtbag; 2012-03-01 at 12:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

It looks like Birdo...

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh, kinda. Might look less like Birdo if you draw her nostrils on. I like the big hairstyle you've done for her!

She's supposed to be breathing flames, yet she could also be sucking them up with a straw.
    When you blow, your cheeks puff out. If you draw Twilight's cheeks puffed out it will look much more like she's breathing the fire out, rather than in.

I haven't drawn today yet. :/ Gotta just scratch out some practice sketches.

Yesterday and the day before (that's days 59-60 for those of you keeping score) I worked on this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes. That is Lyra/Trixie shipping (Trixra?). Based on an RP I did where Trixie started hitting on Lyra, at least partially because she was bored. Lyra isn't sure how to feel (the RP takes place before Lyra starts dating Bon Bon).

On the technical side of things... this is still a rough sketch, subject to change. I'm not entirely pleased with Lyra's face/mane. And then there's the legs; it's always the legs. (yes they are sitting down on something. I just haven't drawn that something in yet ¬_¬)
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-03-01 at 03:11 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

Day 61. Fluttersh-eye.
    Spoiler
    Show

Q. Why did I draw this?
    A. Fluttershy has pretty eyes?

Also, remember when we were talking about shoulders on ponies? I found this pic that looks like a good reference for how they would go if drawn.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

5. - Top - End - #665
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    When you blow, your cheeks puff out. If you draw Twilight's cheeks puffed out it will look much more like she's breathing the fire out, rather than in.

I haven't drawn today yet. :/ Gotta just scratch out some practice sketches.

Yesterday and the day before (that's days 59-60 for those of you keeping score) I worked on this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

Yes. That is Lyra/Trixie shipping (Trixra?). Based on an RP I did where Trixie started hitting on Lyra, at least partially because she was bored. Lyra isn't sure how to feel (the RP takes place before Lyra starts dating Bon Bon).

On the technical side of things... this is still a rough sketch, subject to change. I'm not entirely pleased with Lyra's face/mane. And then there's the legs; it's always the legs. (yes they are sitting down on something. I just haven't drawn that something in yet ¬_¬)
    Thanks for the blowing tip! Your right, puffed out cheeks are what's missing.

Trixra?! A new ship has sailed. Does it also take place before Trixie came to Ponyville?
    If they are sitting down, then Trixie's cape seems a bit odd. I would try to have it follow the back and cover her body more. If that makes sense, cape dynamics are hard to say.

Day 61. Fluttersh-eye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

Q. Why did I draw this?
    A. Fluttershy has pretty eyes?
    You have a good eye for art. *ducks shoe*

[B][COLOR="Magenta"]I can't do show accurate. To many rules I have to follow. I like learning my own style, this style I've got going now is influenced by my love for the original Fluttershy drawings that I used the first time and my love for anime.
    The style is wonderful. Draw more.

On a more serious note,
    Too many rules to follow as you try to fit your technique into a wildly different style can be pretty annoying and not very fun.

As for your picture, I like the flames. They look so marshmalloie. The only thing throwing me off is her hind legs. They are all like D:
    Back legs are my bane. I'll work on this.

Hmm, I think the issue with the flames might be that the bottom bends down toward the ground, leading to the 'sipping' impression. If you look at something like a flamethrower, the bottom of the fire line is more or less level with the arc of the trajectory, with the flames drawn up and away from it.

Hopefully that made some sense; it might be easier to just show, so let me know if that's confusing and I can try to sketch out my best version of it (I'm miserable with flames though, so no promises).
    I think I understand what you are saying with the flames, I plan to take another whack at it.

Day 4,
    Spoiler
    Show

I wanted to take another try at Twilight Rapidash, yet when I tried to draw I found that I couldn't. Everything started to come out horribly wrong. So I took a break from that and tried to draw something else. That came out wrong too. Then I through up my hands and drew a lazy Twilight head instead.
    Oddly enough, I had a very good day, perhaps I need more bad days to draw?

Better bad luck tomorrow?

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Hmm, in the future, I'd suggest drawing in the things characters are sitting on or interacting with first, as it gives you a foundation to build the pose on. Almost every time I've tried to do it the other way around, I get burned with really wonky proportions; of course, your mileage may vary.

Day 4,
    Spoiler
    Show

I wanted to take another try at Twilight Rapidash, yet when I tried to draw I found that I couldn't. Everything started to come out horribly wrong. So I took a break from that and tried to draw something else. That came out wrong too. Then I through up my hands and drew a lazy Twilight head instead.

Aww, Twi looks cute! My only nitpick would be that the ears look a touch small; otherwise, adorable!

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #667
    Troll in the Playground

Trixra?! A new ship has sailed. Does it also take place before Trixie came to Ponyville?
    If they are sitting down, then Trixie's cape seems a bit odd. I would try to have it follow the back and cover her body more. If that makes sense, cape dynamics are hard to say.
    No, it's after Trixie came to Ponyville. Timeline wise Lyra is roommates with Bon Bon, but Bon Bon hasn't actually told Lyra how she feels yet.

I'll try out some things with the cape.

Hmm, in the future, I'd suggest drawing in the things characters are sitting on or interacting with first, as it gives you a foundation to build the pose on. Almost every time I've tried to do it the other way around, I get burned with really wonky proportions; of course, your mileage may vary.
    Yeah, I really should have done. The thing is that they are both sitting on the back of a custom motorized cart created by Doctor Whooves, and I'm not sure how to draw it yet.

Anywho, Day... 62? I lost count D: It was yesterday. I got home from work and didn't get much drawing time before I had to go to a party so I sketched up this:
    Spoiler
    Show

She's not based on anypony in particular. I just drew a generic pony head and did some swirly hair. I liked how it came out though.

I'm naming her Cinamon Swirl. I'm sure it's been done, but who cares?

And Day 63, which was yesterday (it passed midnight as I was typing )
    Spoiler
    Show

GRRRRRRRR.....

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF- Forgot her wings!
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-03-04 at 12:19 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

Day 64. I'm getting the hang of this colouring stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

9. - Top - End - #669
    Dwarf in the Playground

I agree with this and do the same thing especially with multiple figures, even if it's just a simple line or box, it just helps figure out the feel and weight of the figures. You can always add the details in later.

Aww, Twi looks cute! My only nitpick would be that the ears look a touch small; otherwise, adorable!
    Thank you! And your right about the ears.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice work, are you planning to stick to the show's color scheme or go more indepth with shading?
    A nitpick, her nose seems rather longish.

Day 5-6,
    Spoiler
    Show

I went on a surprise trip for the weekend and was away from a internet connection. I admit I lazied out on Friday and didn't get anything done, but for Saturday and Sunday I worked on coloring the Rarity and Sweetie Bell vampire pic.

So I dunno, I'm still working on it. The lines need to be cleaned up and I forgot to clean a few things, like Sweetie's pendent. I couldn't decide on whether or not Rarity's cape should have a large collar.
    I need to work on the fog, at the moment it's very rough.
    And the moon will get a lot more detail, it's just a blue-white orb at the moment.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

Nice work, are you planning to stick to the show's color scheme or go more indepth with shading?
    A nitpick, her nose seems rather longish.
    For now I'll stick with the show's scheme, if only because I'm simply not good at shading. I'll try some new stuff some day, but for now I'll stick with the basic colours.

Yeah, her nose was kinda long. Didn't really notice until after I coloured it.

Day 5-6,
    Spoiler
    Show

I went on a surprise trip for the weekend and was away from a internet connection. I admit I lazied out on Friday and didn't get anything done, but for Saturday and Sunday I worked on coloring the Rarity and Sweetie Bell vampire pic.

So I dunno, I'm still working on it. The lines need to be cleaned up and I forgot to clean a few things, like Sweetie's pendent. I couldn't decide on whether or not Rarity's cape should have a large collar.
    And the moon will get a lot more detail, it's just a blue-white orb at the moment.
    Very cool! Can't wait to see the finished picture!

Day 65. Both photoshop and my tablet decided to be fussy today, so I went back to pencil and paper.

Pros: Curves are SO much easier! Most because I can rotate the page without having to press R every time. Also, I seem to be able to draw much quicker. Maybe that's just the tablet practive paying off?
    Cons: I miss the undo key. Got eraser bits everywhere.
    Spoiler
    Show

Based on:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

11. - Top - End - #671
    Colossus in the Playground

Day 5-6,
    Spoiler
    Show

Man, when this is done it'll be drawfriend quality I don't have any suggestions on me to offer.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, angry Fluttershy looks...well, angry!

Day 5-6,
    Spoiler
    Show

Ooh! Looking forward to seeing this complete! The only thing I'd say is that it looks a little dark; it makes it a bit hard to see the excellent artwork. I don't know if it would be easy to fix or not by now, but just something to think about.

For now I'll stick with the show's scheme, if only because I'm simply not good at shading. I'll try some new stuff some day, but for now I'll stick with the basic colours.

Yeah, her nose was kinda long. Didn't really notice until after I coloured it.

Day 65. Both photoshop and my tablet decided to be fussy today, so I went back to pencil and paper.

Pros: Curves are SO much easier! Most because I can rotate the page without having to press R every time. Also, I seem to be able to draw much quicker. Maybe that's just the tablet practive paying off?
    Spoiler
    Show

Based on:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh wow, that is really excellent! The curves do look really nice!

As for myself, I'm still sketching without much to show, and I haven't been spending as much time as I'd like on drawing lately. On the other hand I am working on something for a friend, so maybe that'll get me off my drawing laziness...

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #673
    Banned

Alright. A combination of my own failure to render a character's face, and Prince Aquila Dei's intriguing skeletal study (and Raz_Fox gets an honorable mention for making me care about period fashion of all things) has made me decide to try my hand at non/pony things again. Specifically, humans.

Below is a quick test of my skills by trying to put a thought onto paper. It suffers from being an incomplete thought but has the benefit of working up my confidence after Areta's potato-headed failure.

Spoiler
    Show

Th first thing you'll notice is the spidery-ness of the figure. I decided not to let simple things like matter or perspective or light get in the way of seeing where the hay stuff was going, so her poorly positioned back arm is visible through her trunk.

She is also, as I said, poorly positioned. This is directly attributable to my not giving her any sort of balance. But seeing as she was drawn as meat, with nary a skeletal structuring in sight, I think it turned out well.

Here we have the face. The implied bone structure is nice - almost dead on what I envisioned. Sadly, a Thanqol-esque attempt to experiment ended with her features not being grounded in the skull proper; she is drawn as if her face is a mask.

I cannot visually articulate the underside of a jaw for the life of me.

This is a foot. It is here because as feet go, it's one of the better specimens. Or so I thought; true to artistic endeavors, now that I have photographed it, I'm afraid to show you all such an atrocity. Alas.

So I think I can feel a direction to go for advancement. But it involves a lot of psuedoarabian flavor and possibly some scantily clad ponies. You have been warned.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Banned

Question Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Still trying to learn. Just not uploading everything.

I still have troubles with the mouth. It's not like a potato. :<

I also can't get the hair down. It's so... wild.

I also just realized I forgot the wings in most of them. XD
    Wow, Mate. That's good. The wings disappeared and I didn't even notice! Couldn't spot what was wrong XD

on the face: the beak comes out as a little too heavy on the chin. You want to have the lower jaw taper to a point, almost. It should be universally narrower than the top part of the nose.

The coloring is fabulous.

Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Luna eating ice cream and two medieval time characters in medieval time hoods! Took about two hours. I need to draw faster and stop getting distracted. I have never drawn Luna before, so I decided to take a whack at it. Not much to say.
    I need to work on my canine expressions, I used to be better at this type of thing.
    Luna's hair started to remind me of split milk. And I decided to draw her hoofs on the ice cream cone. True, she would use magic, but it's more amusing this way. At least I think so. The hoofs aren't connected to her body right even if the shoulders and body are invisible. Practice, practice and more practice.
    I am very upset at you for having such a good quality day 1...

It looks like Birdo...

Spoiler
    Show
    It does!
    As has been said, the top of her beak doesn't connect to her head right.
    I love love love her hair though. Fabulous!

On a more serious note,
    Too many rules to follow as you try to fit your technique into a wildly different style can be pretty annoying and not very fun.
    The rules are more like guidelines really. And while it's true, sometimes wanting to do your own thing can get in the way of learning how to work within a framework. Structure is sometimes a good thing; handicapping yourself stresses certain things, which lets you build them faster and cleaner.

But of course, having fun is tantamount. Screw everything else.

Day 4,
    Spoiler
    Show

Man. Love this. So awesome!

15. - Top - End - #675
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks! I hope to finish it by the weekend. I hope anyway.

*snip*
    The lines and curves on this one are much better!

Ooh! Looking forward to seeing this complete! The only thing I'd say is that it looks a little dark; it makes it a bit hard to see the excellent artwork. I don't know if it would be easy to fix or not by now, but just something to think about.
    I don't know how to fix the darkness. It is at night, maybe make the highlights lighter? Do other people think it's too dark?

As for myself, I'm still sketching without much to show, and I haven't been spending as much time as I'd like on drawing lately. On the other hand I am working on something for a friend, so maybe that'll get me off my drawing laziness...
    There's nothing wrong with taking a break! (Says the man who can't last a single week drawing every day...)

I am very upset at you for having such a good quality day 1...

Man. Love this. So awesome!
    Thank you for the kind words!
    I'll try to improve!

The rules are more like guidelines really. And while it's true, sometimes wanting to do your own thing can get in the way of learning how to work within a framework. Structure is sometimes a good thing; handicapping yourself stresses certain things, which lets you build them faster and cleaner.

But of course, having fun is tantamount. Screw everything else.
    True. Trying things in a different style can help you learn new things, I know that every since I started to draw ponies it's forced me to learn how to make cleaner lines and more graceful curves as these are important things in the style.

Alright. A combination of my own failure to render a character's face, and Prince Aquila Dei's intriguing skeletal study (and Raz_Fox gets an honorable mention for making me care about period fashion of all things) has made me decide to try my hand at non/pony things again. Specifically, humans.

Below is a quick test of my skills by trying to put a thought onto paper. It suffers from being an incomplete thought but has the benefit of working up my confidence after Areta's potato-headed failure.

*snip*

So I think I can feel a direction to go for advancement. But it involves a lot of psuedoarabian flavor and possibly some scantily clad ponies. You have been warned.
    Your commentary is wonderful to read!
    I really don't have anything to add and I'm bad at human figure drawing anyway. However, that *IS* a very nice foot and I admire it. Feet are something I struggle with. Actually, even shoes are something I dread. It's something I need to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Man, when this is done it'll be drawfriend quality I don't have any suggestions on me to offer.
    Thank you!

Day 7-8,

Spoiler
    Show
    Did some fine tuning, nothing major. I only had about a hour for each day.
    Added some details on the moon and the roof our two ponies are on so it's not so boring. Decided to go for the slightly sketchy lines, so this is probably as clean as it's going to get. No, it's not just laziness. Honest.
    Added some detail on the fog, the fog looks a bit like a fog snow hybrid but I'm somewhat satisfied with it. If only because I can't think of a way to improve it. Maybe I'll think of something tomorrow.
    Added some bats. I felt the picture just needed some bats in the distance.
    I gave Rarity a collar, it seems to look better.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, so I finally worked through a block I've been having with creating a My Little Vixen style on the request of some fellow forum-goers. The results (which I'm fairly happy with) are below:
    Spoiler
    Show

Basically, the idea is to round off the muzzle edges after reshaping the "beak" into more of a box, then add in Twilight-style eyes. Also, the cheek fuzz is kind of an extension of the hair/mane? Also, marshmallow feet!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #677
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm, so I finally worked through a block I've been having with creating a My Little Vixen style on the request of some fellow forum-goers. The results (which I'm fairly happy with) are below:
    Spoiler
    Show

Basically, the idea is to round off the muzzle edges after reshaping the "beak" into more of a box, then add in Twilight-style eyes. Also, the cheek fuzz is kind of an extension of the hair/mane? Also, marshmallow feet!
    I ♥ the feet.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

18. - Top - End - #678

Spoiler
    Show

If you can crack this darn pony foxes style I'll owe you a high five.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

Oh wow, that is really excellent! The curves do look really nice!
    The lines and curves on this one are much better!
    Thanks guys! ^^

Day 66, was uninspired, so I did a simple Pinkie head sketch thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 67, attempt to draw a Diamond Dog, because I feel like a change from ponies.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm gonna say... moderate success. Rover sure has a wrinkly face.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

20. - Top - End - #680

Diego, I feel like there's something wrong with your lineweight, perhaps due to pencil settings? Look how irregular everything is. Some parts are too thin, some parts are too thick, everything looks choppy and bad.

What tools and settings are you drawing with? In what program, on what size canvas?

Here's an experiment I did a month ago:

Spoiler
    Show

I used a size 20 brush with 0% minimum size for all of this. Try something like that; focusing on getting your lineweight consistent and working out how much pressure to apply to each stroke.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know how to fix the darkness. It is at night, maybe make the highlights lighter? Do other people think it's too dark?
    Actually, now that I see the more complete version, I think it works pretty well as is. However, if you're curious to see the effects, you can usually adjust brightness or levels in Photoshop or an analogous program, without having to repaint anything.

Research continues on this front! Speaking of:
    Spoiler
    Show

So this is the picture from last time, with some new additions. I've tried drawing in front and side views, in addition to the 3/4 one, and I'm fairly happy with them, although they could use some tweaks, mainly to the cheek fuzz, in my opinion. The other big thing is that I'm trying to figure out a body style. From my own observations, ponies are kind of two offset curves which form the chest/rump. With the foxes, I'm trying something similar, but more elongated, with a narrower tummy compared to the chest in an effort to make them seem lithe and, well, fox-like.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

Diego, I feel like there's something wrong with your lineweight, perhaps due to pencil settings? Look how irregular everything is. Some parts are too thin, some parts are too thick, everything looks choppy and bad.

What tools and settings are you drawing with? In what program, on what size canvas?

Here's an experiment I did a month ago:

Spoiler
    Show

I used a size 20 brush with 0% minimum size for all of this. Try something like that; focusing on getting your lineweight consistent and working out how much pressure to apply to each stroke.
    Using Photoshop CS5, 1280 x 1024 canvas, 72dpi. Brush is size 10, I don't know what minimum size it is.

I'll try at 20 and see what happens.

Spoiler
    Show

So this is the picture from last time, with some new additions. I've tried drawing in front and side views, in addition to the 3/4 one, and I'm fairly happy with them, although they could use some tweaks, mainly to the cheek fuzz, in my opinion. The other big thing is that I'm trying to figure out a body style. From my own observations, ponies are kind of two offset curves which form the chest/rump. With the foxes, I'm trying something similar, but more elongated, with a narrower tummy compared to the chest in an effort to make them seem lithe and, well, fox-like.
    Cute! Especially the front face on the right! Keep it up!

Re: The body, maybe look at how FiM does similar animals, like Winona?

EDIT: Changed the size to 20, but I can't see a difference. There must be some other setting I'm missing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-03-08 at 05:32 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

23. - Top - End - #683

EDIT: Changed the size to 20, but I can't see a difference. There must be some other setting I'm missing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The size itself really doesn't matter as much as the minimum size. Try the free trial of Paint Tool SAI, it lasts a month and it's got a much, much easier interface than Photoshop. I recommend it highly.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

Using Photoshop CS5, 1280 x 1024 canvas, 72dpi. Brush is size 10, I don't know what minimum size it is.

I'll try at 20 and see what happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is how my lineart comes out with those brush sizes and those document sizes.

Spoiler
    Show

These are my actual brush settings, sensitivity and all that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Open that tab up in the window -> brushes bit. Or hit f5 iirc (I've redone a lot of my hotkeys).

It looks like either your brush settings are whack, or you're tablet sensitivity is way low.

Hell, let's look at my tablet settings too!
    Spoiler
    Show

I have a Wacom Intuos 3, so your settings may differ wildly because of a different tablet, but you get the general idea. I have mine set to be quite firm until I hit mid range then it gets quite sensitive, then it takes a lot to get to the full pressure again. Works for me, but it gives you a general idea, may not work for you.

So yeah, I think something in there is your problem (:
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2012-03-08 at 07:09 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, now that I see the more complete version, I think it works pretty well as is. However, if you're curious to see the effects, you can usually adjust brightness or levels in Photoshop or an analogous program, without having to repaint anything.
    I actually *somewhat* took your advice and lightened up the main colors of Rarity and Sweetie Belle and darkened the colors on the towers. Now I think it pops a bit more, at least that's what I was going for.

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    THIS IS THE BEST THING.
    How are you going to differentiate between different characters without the mane to get creative with? That seems like the greatest issue, though you may just want to make a single character and not multiples or foxify the complete cast.

My little Vixen? I wouldn't mind a... *puts foot in mouth before making off-color joke*

I forgot to comment on this statement! I spent my college years studying medieval middle eastern history, anything psuedoarabian/Saracen is awesome by my book!

Day 8,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yesterday I just came home from work and took what I thought would be a nap. Instead I slept all evening and night. So yeah, no drawing got done.
    But today I finished up the picture!
    I fixed the shape of the moon and add shadows to the towers. I added more highlights to the capes and manes, and fooled around with the fog. And tweaked numerous small things, really I just wanted to get this one out the door. Now I can go back to sketching and move away from coloring until next time!

26. - Top - End - #686
    Troll in the Playground

THIS IS THE BEST THING.
    How are you going to differentiate between different characters without the mane to get creative with? That seems like the greatest issue, though you may just want to make a single character and not multiples or foxify the complete cast.

My little Vixen? I wouldn't mind a... *puts foot in mouth before making off-color joke*
    Hehe, I like your enthusiasm. To be honest, I hadn't thought of doing the main cast necessarily; just some OCs various folks have requested vixen-ified. Now that you mention it though, that is a good point. Off the top of my head, some identifiers could be coat color, presence or absence of the brownish-black "gloves" some foxes have, and eye color, but there are probably more.

Day 8,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yesterday I just came home from work and took what I thought would be a nap. Instead I slept all evening and night. So yeah, no drawing got done.
    I fixed the shape of the moon and add shadows to the towers. I added more highlights to the capes and manes, and fooled around with the fog. And tweaked numerous small things, really I just wanted to get this one out the door. Now I can go back to sketching and move away from coloring until next time!

Very nice!

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #687
    Dwarf in the Playground

~Snip~

Saved.

I made a Pinkie Pie. It's... Unique.

The legs are too small and not properly positioned, the mouth is stupid, and the tail bugs me.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #688
    Banned

There's nothing wrong with taking a break! (Says the man who can't last a single week drawing every day...)
    Indeed! It depends on you. Learning style. I work best having ideas rolling around in my brain, then putting them out after they crystallize. Working during the thinking process dries me up the wall, because the changes invariably ruin any sense of joy I get from drawing, which is the point for me.

Thank you for the kind words!
    I'll try to improve!
    God no now I'll Never catch up

True. Trying things in a different style can help you learn new things, I know that every since I started to draw ponies it's forced me to learn how to make cleaner lines and more graceful curves as these are important things in the style.
    I am in a better mental space this time, so I'll elaborate. Style is often a trap. I have a distinct style of drawing, based on prefered shapes, line weight, composition and such. I still draw show-accurate ponies, but they are still in my style. I can look at a picture and no matter how well or poorly drawn it is I can tell if it's in my style immediately.

A lot of folks use "my own style" as a crutch. Anime fans are big problems here, as all the how to draw books show you how to copy things instead of learn anything. I've been drawing since I learned the words to ask for paper and crayons, and I have a distinct feel to my work. I've copied other people's works, and I've done my own thing, and that's never changed. Your style is in the meta settings, not in the subject's design. Not really.

Your commentary is wonderful to read!
    I really don't have anything to add and I'm bad at human figure drawing anyway. However, that *IS* a very nice foot and I admire it. Feet are something I struggle with. Actually, even shoes are something I dread. It's something I need to work on.
    I have an edge, in that I've always loved the human body (although it took me a while to realize that was okay, stupid social conditioning). So I have just as much fun with a person's feet or armpit as I do with a face, an ear, a hand. So I've paid more attention than most, including on myself, seeing how things work and bend and flex and bulge and such. Being a skinny pony, the musculature and cordage are there to look at too, so I've taken liberties with memorizing correlations.

The foot in particular reminds me of my own, except the toe was made pointed to give it a more feminine look. It's also similar to a hand, and understanding the bones really Helps, especially on feet. Same bones, totally different structure from the hand. Isn't that fascinating?

Oh, right this never crossed the actual forum... Uh...lemme do some digging.

[Capricious Vulpine] [Art Study]
    Spoiler
    Show

Here I figured out the trouble with stuff like Winona. Ponies seem intelligent because of their upright posture. This is achieved by making them as tall as they are long, whereas stretching out the neck makes them look like monitor lizards. I needed the fox to be a person, not a pet. Gilda skirts the line, rearing up and being tall a lot (her default posture is seated, from the front) but when walking she looks like a monster, really long out of nowhere. This realization led to;

Nailed the body down pretty well, here. A lot of details on ponies that I didn't get clicked here, like that chest bulge that leads up to their necks. Making a vixen waspish in the middle is hard, but is a result of my preference for buxomness in general. So that's a bit of bias that can be removed to free up the design a lot. The feet eluded me though, as my idea of having them end in points like caligraphy pictures just wouldn't work without actually using a brush.

Razzette and Raggedy. The feet end in stubby curlicues to the the appropriate arabesque feeling (yes, I am misusing arabesque. Shut up.) and a sensation of Wyldness, that the Fox's legs just sort of spiral away into nothingness, like The fox itself would I you took an eye off her.

Fixes are vulpines of the canidae line, requiring acknowledging their predatory and scavenging instincts in their build. A Fox's about tapers, as does it's opposite point, the waist. The tail likewise tapers at beginning and end, resulting in a creature of Direction. Have you ever seen a video of foxes, wolves or jackals a. Play, when suddenly something gets their attention? Everything in their body points at that thing, ears eyes nose feet tail body EVERYTHING. That's a part of the creature concept that was lost in the horizontal build.

The hips are appropriately big as she is supposed to go into harem pants at some point, and the chest is given enough four to accommodate obvious femininity (as Fox is partial to terms like 'fun bags') while still being an anatomically correct part of the fox itself - it's a tuft of fur.

Hope this helps.

THIS IS THE BEST THING.
    Color, eyes, facial structure (easier with a muzzle than you'd think), body size, shape and proportion, ears, tail, feet, posture, *fringes of the fuzzy stuff on the side, facial markings for some, mouth shape, nose shape, and accessories.

/me Fifth Ammendment

I forgot to comment on this statement! I spent my college years studying medieval middle eastern history, anything psuedoarabian/Saracen is awesome by my book!
    Then good heavens inundate me with as much information as you can! The email on my GitP thingy goes straight to my phone. Anything you can give me about the ottoman empire, Saracens, Arabian culture in general, Islam and how it affected things, cultural variations, ANYTHING, even just links to stuff that's more focused/readable than Wikipedia would be totally sweet. I know all sorts of stuff about all sorts of historical cultures, but the whole Persia area and the Holy Roman Empire are huge gaps in my brainmeats.

Day 8,
    Spoiler
    Show

Me too! I crashed from 02:00 to 15:30 today. I feel invigorated! Which totally interferes with my 'early to bed early to rise' plans...

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

The size itself really doesn't matter as much as the minimum size. Try the free trial of Paint Tool SAI, it lasts a month and it's got a much, much easier interface than Photoshop. I recommend it highly.
    Alright, I'll look into it some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    These are my actual brush settings, sensitivity and all that.
    Exactly the same as what I have.

Hell, let's look at my tablet settings too!
    I don't have as many options. All I have is Tip Feel, which is slightly less firm than yours.

I put the firmness up just to see. Yesterday I did some random sketches, which I don't think I saved, and weren't worth posting anyway. Today (Day 70, I think) I did a dragon, based on this tutorial I found in Thanqol's draw thread. (P.S. Thanqol, It's good to know there are other fans of Dragon-Tails out there!)
    Spoiler
    Show

I have to push much harder to get thicker lines now. I guess that's what I was supposed to do? I'll need to spend some time getting used to that.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

30. - Top - End - #690

(P.S. Thanqol, It's good to know there are other fans of Dragon-Tails out there!)
    Oh my goodness I thought I was the only one! ^^