New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh my goodness I thought I was the only one! ^^
    Bluey and Lemuel were my favourites.

Originally Posted by Dispozition
    Wut?

Day 71. Attempt to draw Big Macintosh. The result?
    Spoiler
    Show
    BIG HEAD BIG HEAD BIG HEAD

Also those legs are off. Unless it's the body.

I didn't use a reference

Day 72. Drawing a pony sitting down, from behind. Today's experiment....
    Spoiler
    Show

...Failed.

The legs don't look right, and I couldn't find a way to draw the forelegs from that angle, if they even should be.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    [COLOR="Magenta"][B]
    Saved.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post

I made a Pinkie Pie. It's... Unique.

The legs are too small and not properly positioned, the mouth is stupid, and the tail bugs me.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is very nice, I don't really have anything to add besides what you already said. However, the head to body proportions are much better then your last ones, I think I can see the outlines for different proportions but it seems you corrected yourself, so kudos on the awesome improvement, that's what counts!
    Your style is still styling!

Indeed! It depends on you. Learning style. I work best having ideas rolling around in my brain, then putting them out after they crystallize. Working during the thinking process dries me up the wall, because the changes invariably ruin any sense of joy I get from drawing, which is the point for me.
    I do too! The ideas and concepts need to be fully formed in my head before I attempt them. But I've been trying to teach myself to draw every day regardless. The funny thing is, I find that it forces me to actually think and brainstorm about what I'm going to draw in the evening at work. So it has the odd effect of forcing me to brainstorm for ideas more often then I wouldn't if I just drew whenever I got a idea. Of course, I still take breaks when I feel truly drained and everyone is different.

I am in a better mental space this time, so I'll elaborate. Style is often a trap. I have a distinct style of drawing, based on prefered shapes, line weight, composition and such. I still draw show-accurate ponies, but they are still in my style. I can look at a picture and no matter how well or poorly drawn it is I can tell if it's in my style immediately.

A lot of folks use "my own style" as a crutch. Anime fans are big problems here, as all the how to draw books show you how to copy things instead of learn anything. I've been drawing since I learned the words to ask for paper and crayons, and I have a distinct feel to my work. I've copied other people's works, and I've done my own thing, and that's never changed. Your style is in the meta settings, not in the subject's design. Not really.

I understand what you said about personal style that you can't change much like a fingerprint (though there are great mimics, most great art forgeries are produced by great artist themselves!), and agree with it whole heartedly. And I especially agree with you when you say that "it's my style" is used by too many inspiring artists as a crutch and a excuse to learn how to do anything new, and ignore things such as basic anatomy, perspective and a whole lot of other things. All becuase they have their own style. In a humerous way, it's as if they have already reached artistic nirvanna and have no need to continue their journey or grow anymore, learn from other artists or anything like that. Or even just experience something new. It's over. They are at 100%. No need to learn anything new.

Now that I think of it, people like that are all over the place and in all fields of study and walks of life....

Spoilered for length and tangent,

Spoiler
    Show
    However, when I was referring to style in the quote I was more referring to a broader school. Such as someone might say the impressionist style or romantic style, even though an artist may have his or her own individual style he or she may belong to a school of people who do things similar or who admire and embrace certain ways of consciously doing their craft. For instance, Lauren Faust has her own individual way of doing art which no one else may have, you can see it in her Pony art, Power Puff Girls, or her Galaxy Girls stuff or what have you. However, one can also say that her way of doing things is more similar to the art of American cartoons like Dexter's Lab, rather then say the art of One Piece or Bleach, being closer to the American cartoons like this rather then in a anime or manga style and thus apart of the American Cartoons school of style.
    I would say style in this context does include the design of the subject. For instance, if a romantic style painter began to try there hand at cubism, a art commentator would say that they were attempting the cubist school (to of course, varying levels of originality and quality) and the attempt at a new school of style would be obvious, or when many American comic book artists begin to apply elements of the manga style back when that was the big thing following on the tails of artists like Joe Madureira (some to horrible results), people commented that they were attempting the manga style. In all these examples these artists still had their individual ways and fingerprints, yet they were consciously attempting a new school of style.
    When you have a fandom following the artistic flares of a show like My Little Pony, I believe that you could call it a small sub-school, or artistic style. Not nearly as grand and as lasting as cubism or impressionist, or a wide popular style like American Cartoons or Manga, but something which can be called a style in the same manner. There is a "canon" of what people think a pony should compose of or look like, and if one deviates from this too much it won't look like one. What elements these are, I'm not certain and it probably depends both on the artist doing the art and the viewer looking at the art. Someone may think that graceful complete curves are important, others may think not. Some may think bold colored lines are important, others not. Others may think anatomy is important, some not .etc. Of course, these are not binary categories, and so, while most think that anatomy is important, they may disagree on a piece of art on whether or not it has deviated too far from the show. Just like with more complete higher styles like impressionist, the actually boundaries are fuzzy and depend on the individual artist. Both their conscious and unconscious decisions and stylistic flares.
    Yet most can at least point out what is a impressionist painting with education, and most fans can point and categorize a pony picture. Indeed, in some ways a fan has it easier as the show and Lauren Faust's drawings provide some sort of canon for them to measure the pictures against. Of course, what deviates too far (or too little) is up to the viewer and artist in question. Much like a person with a ruler, while he has a objective way of measuring, what is too long or too short is up to him and a personal opinion. In a way, all fan art is like this.
    Now, when I made the jump into this "Pony Style" from doing my manga western hybrid thing, I identified elements which I thought were important when drawing ponies and which I lacked or weren't very good at, but the style (as I saw it) required to work. So I practiced them, and those where the things which I got better at. Seeing and trying something new shook up my perceptions about how to do things, it awakens one from the trap of orthodoxy and heterodoxy. But even when drawing ponies, I still carry my own signature or personal style with me which effects what I draw, how I draw, and how I compose my images. Even down to my lines and how they are effected by the way I hold my pencil or wacom penthingy and what strokes I use.

I have an edge, in that I've always loved the human body (although it took me a while to realize that was okay, stupid social conditioning). So I have just as much fun with a person's feet or armpit as I do with a face, an ear, a hand. So I've paid more attention than most, including on myself, seeing how things work and bend and flex and bulge and such. Being a skinny pony, the musculature and cordage are there to look at too, so I've taken liberties with memorizing correlations.

The foot in particular reminds me of my own, except the toe was made pointed to give it a more feminine look. It's also similar to a hand, and understanding the bones really Helps, especially on feet. Same bones, totally different structure from the hand. Isn't that fascinating?
    Really?! People don't think the human body is awesomesauce?! Who wouldn't love it? And I grew up in a very conservative USA family.
    It's always somewhat (wonderful? shocking? disgusting? I honestly can't think of a word. Perhaps awe inspiring?) the social and culture diversity there is in the world... You study history and anthropology and you know these things academically, but it still trips you up.
    If you don't mind me asking, and I don't mean to pry, but where did you grow up?

I'll keep those tips in mind for the feet, you've given me some confidence to try my hand at feet again! I'll try to do it tomorrow. After sleep.

Oh, right this never crossed the actual forum... Uh...lemme do some digging.

*snip*

Hope this helps.
    Very nice designs! And reading! I really like how you break down your design choices.

Color, eyes, facial structure (easier with a muzzle than you'd think), body size, shape and proportion, ears, tail, feet, posture, *fringes of the fuzzy stuff on the side, facial markings for some, mouth shape, nose shape, and accessories.
    True, all these things could be used. I guess I was thinking of them as following a closer design style as My Little Pony, with many of the ponies, the colors and mane are the major difference!

/me Fifth Ammendment
    My self-censorship was not do to fear of any outside law or lack of any freedom but my own personal fear that it would quickly devolve into the worst type of sexual jokes with "If you know what I mean!" or "Say no more, say no more!" and end with shoulder jabs and other such tomfoolery. Such risqué humor is best kept far away from public eyes. Best to stick to seriousness in these here threads.

Then good heavens inundate me with as much information as you can! The email on my GitP thingy goes straight to my phone. Anything you can give me about the ottoman empire, Saracens, Arabian culture in general, Islam and how it affected things, cultural variations, ANYTHING, even just links to stuff that's more focused/readable than Wikipedia would be totally sweet. I know all sorts of stuff about all sorts of historical cultures, but the whole Persia area and the Holy Roman Empire are huge gaps in my brainmeats.

Someone actually cares about my area of study!!! *runs off into the night waving around his hands and screaming*

My personal era in the middle east is the late Abbasid era/Crusader Era, but also about the early Caliphs, Umayyads and early Abbasid eras as well. My area of study in which I wrote my thesis was on the social relations between the traditional Arabic groups living in Arabia proper and the greater middle east during the later Abbasid era. Most primary sources I gathered and original research was done in this area, but there are also some odd small independent research blurbs I've done such as the document the mysterious origins of the turban, the stereotypical middle eastern headdress (Arabic invention or Indian import? I dunno! L O L). Most of these have to do with fashion, armor, and warfare for civilization 4 modding.
    However, I have a lot of general and odd information dealing with the middle east and Islam up until the 19th century or so. It really depends on what you want to know and what information you find interesting. For instance, books can be churned out on Persia during the medieval era (I have a book dedicated to coinage and economics during the Mongol era alone!), and the Ottoman empire is no better. What parts are you interested in? Feel free to throw me a PM or post with specifics and I'll know what to try to hobble something together or point you toward in the right direction.

As a side note, if you (or anyone else) are somewhat green on Islamic history and want something with a bit more structure and cohesive to it then Wikipedia, I would suggest the two History of the Islamic World Books, 1, 2. They are college level readers, and like many college books students are forced to buy, they are expensive. However, because so many students are forced to buy them they can be found used for pretty cheap! While I have only read the second one (At the time I already had plenty of early Islamic sources), the information, while general and not too in-depth, is cohesive and complete. Even little thought about Islamic areas like the Sudan and Sahel belts of Africa, and South East Asia are discussed and taken account of, and the book covers changes in Islamic religion, ideas, and law throughout the ages as well. While the author has his opinions which start to show the closer one gets to the modern era on why things have turned out the way they have* they are easy enough to agree or disagree with and do not distract from the factual information.

*Just like ideas surrounding why Europe came to dominate at the beginning of the modern period, this is a controversial subject in history and there are plenty of opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I put the firmness up just to see. Yesterday I did some random sketches, which I don't think I saved, and weren't worth posting anyway. Today (Day 70, I think) I did a dragon, based on this tutorial I found in Thanqol's draw thread. (P.S. Thanqol, It's good to know there are other fans of Dragon-Tails out there!)
    *snip*
    I have to push much harder to get thicker lines now. I guess that's what I was supposed to do? I'll need to spend some time getting used to that.
    Nice dragon! I don't really have anything to add, not being the dragon drawing king or anything. Maybe try a more interesting pose, let us see the design a bit more and get a feel for it?

Day 71. Attempt to draw Big Macintosh. The result?
    Spoiler
    Show
    BIG HEAD BIG HEAD BIG HEAD

Also those legs are off. Unless it's the body.

I didn't use a reference

Spoiler
    Show

...Failed.

The legs don't look right, and I couldn't find a way to draw the forelegs from that angle, if they even should be.
    On Big Mac, I don't have anything to add that you haven't already noticed. The proportions are the major problem here. Still, kudos for trying without a reference. One thing you might want to do is instead of not using a reference at all, you only peek back at the reference every once and a while throughout the stages of your drawing to make sure you aren't committing any major mistakes in anatomy and proportions. Kind of a less intensive reference base then copying a complete figure/pose, but not completely abandoning all references.

On the other drawing,
    Wow. That *is* a hard pose. I can't think of any ideas off the top of my head. I'm going to have to try it tomorrow after I've gotten more sleep.

Day 9-10,

Spoiler
    Show
    Day 9,

Over the weekend I was too happy to draw do to the drawfriend thing. Now today I am too tired and worn out to draw. How odd. Hopefully tomorrow I'll reach a productive average.

But here are some doodles that should have been posted yesterday, but the internet service was going ballistic.
    These are some horrible lazy sketches, it's all over the place even for me.

Ignore the hand holding the wacom pen.
    Look away! Look away!
    It's not holding it right, granted, monster hands with pens are kinda hard to do, and I enlarged the pen. But this is no excuse to general sloppiness. Laziness all around.

Day 10,

Today I almost didn't draw anything. Actually I had this whole thing typed up and ready to go and then I thought, why not take thrity minutes and try to draw something as fast as possible. And here is sleeping AJ.
    Good night everyone!

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like I'm going to have to comment in here, too.

...Failed.

*whacks Diego Havoc with a sheaf of rolled up sketch paper* NO! Bad Artist!

You have learned from your experiment. You have stated as such. Therefore the experiment is a SUCCESS! The experiment only fails when you learn nothing. Now, take what you have learned and repeat the experiment. If you do not get the results you expect, learn from it and repeat the experiment again. The experiment only ends when you get exactly the results you anticipate. Are we clear on this?

*vanishes into the shadows once more*

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Nice dragon! I don't really have anything to add, not being the dragon drawing king or anything. Maybe try a more interesting pose, let us see the design a bit more and get a feel for it?
    Thanks, I'll consider it for something down the line. The design is basically a simplfied version of the one in the tutorial, which was just for heads, but I can try a full body one sometime. Dragons aren't high on my priorities right now, I just felt like a change from ponies for a bit there. Gotta start work on my humans soon too.

On Big Mac, I don't have anything to add that you haven't already noticed. The proportions are the major problem here. Still, kudos for trying without a reference. One thing you might want to do is instead of not using a reference at all, you only peek back at the reference every once and a while throughout the stages of your drawing to make sure you aren't committing any major mistakes in anatomy and proportions. Kind of a less intensive reference base then copying a complete figure/pose, but not completely abandoning all references.
    It's an idea, though that is in fact how I do a lot of my drawings. Often the reference pics are in another window while I draw with Photoshop in full screen. Seems to have worked out so far.

On the other drawing,
    Wow. That *is* a hard pose. I can't think of any ideas off the top of my head. I'm going to have to try it tomorrow after I've gotten more sleep.
    I found something I could use as a reference. It's not exactly what I did, as they are sitting on the ground, but maybe it will help.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 9-10,

Spoiler
    Show
    Day 9,

Over the weekend I was too happy to draw do to the drawfriend thing. Now today I am too tired and worn out to draw. How odd. Hopefully tomorrow I'll reach a productive average.

But here are some doodles that should have been posted yesterday, but the internet service was going ballistic.
    These are some horrible lazy sketches, it's all over the place even for me.

Ignore the hand holding the wacom pen.
    Look away! Look away!
    It's not holding it right, granted, monster hands with pens are kinda hard to do, and I enlarged the pen. But this is no excuse to general sloppiness. Laziness all around.

Day 10,

Today I almost didn't draw anything. Actually I had this whole thing typed up and ready to go and then I thought, why not take thrity minutes and try to draw something as fast as possible. And here is sleeping AJ.
    Good night everyone!

All looks good to me!

Hmm, haven't thought of what to draw for myself today.

Anyway, the main reason I came here, is that I found this neat little tutorial and thought people might want to take a look. Warning! Large images ahead!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to comment in here, too.

*whacks Diego Havoc with a sheaf of rolled up sketch paper* NO! Bad Artist!

You have learned from your experiment. You have stated as such. Therefore the experiment is a SUCCESS! The experiment only fails when you learn nothing. Now, take what you have learned and repeat the experiment. If you do not get the results you expect, learn from it and repeat the experiment again. The experiment only ends when you get exactly the results you anticipate. Are we clear on this?

*vanishes into the shadows once more*
    Aiee! Okay, okay, I'll stop being negative! Geez!

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

5. - Top - End - #695
    Troll in the Playground

Day 73. Didn't feel like doing a full pic today, so I sketched up a page of male faces to try and get the hang of those muzzles. Some with references, some without. Did a variety of different angles too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

6. - Top - End - #696
    Dwarf in the Playground

Day 73. Didn't feel like doing a full pic today, so I sketched up a page of male faces to try and get the hang of those muzzles. Some with references, some without. Did a variety of different angles too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Male pony faces are rather tricky. Not to mention that there are so many different types. Indeed, for a show where most of the cast is female, the males, from Big Mac to Mr. Cake seem to have the most unique facial structures...
    A nit pick, on the one looking up on the bottom in a three quarters view. I think from that angle the mouth would still be just a straight line parallel with the line through the circle. If that makes sense. I love that angle looking up, yet it's the one that I have a lot of trouble with myself.

Is that Fancy Pants's head with the mustache?

Day 11,

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies, and feet.
    A bunch of brief doodles. No complete picture. I really need to get on the art ball.
    It accord to me that it has been awhile since I had drawn a full pony as well, I'm out of practice. I stole Diego Havoc's idea of drawing a pony from the back and I drew a quick doodle. And it came out questionable. Not sure on the legs either.
    And I drew two feet. Discovering that feet were fun! Who knew?
    My hand was rather jittery today, messing up my line work. Today, there was free soda in the lounge and I drank quite a lot as sugar drinks are something I generally don't have. These two events may be related.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Troll in the Playground

Male pony faces are rather tricky. Not to mention that there are so many different types. Indeed, for a show where most of the cast is female, the males, from Big Mac to Mr. Cake seem to have the most unique facial structures...
    A nit pick, on the one looking up on the bottom in a three quarters view. I think from that angle the mouth would still be just a straight line parallel with the line through the circle. If that makes sense. I love that angle looking up, yet it's the one that I have a lot of trouble with myself.

Is that Fancy Pants's head with the mustache?
    Yeah, there's quite a variety of head styles, especially with Season 2 adding even more.

I noticed that about that particular pose, yeah. The mouth looked off, but I couldn't really see how to put it. I'll bare that in mind next time.

The one with the moustache is actually Flam. Fancy pants has a much shorter muzzle, and a more rounded head.

Day 11,

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies, and feet.
    A bunch of brief doodles. No complete picture. I really need to get on the art ball.
    It accord to me that it has been awhile since I had drawn a full pony as well, I'm out of practice. I stole Diego Havoc's idea of drawing a pony from the back and I drew a quick doodle. And it came out questionable. Not sure on the legs either.
    And I drew two feet. Discovering that feet were fun! Who knew?
    My hand was rather jittery today, messing up my line work. Today, there was free soda in the lounge and I drank quite a lot as sugar drinks are something I generally don't have. These two events may be related.

Those are some good feet! I'm jelly.

That pose from behind is quite tricky isn't it? I took another crack at it (Day 74) copying Fluttershy from that pic three posts back.
    Spoiler
    Show

Better, but I'm still not sure about how the back legs actually go.

Day 75, drew Spike. Didn't do too well, but it's a first try.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 76 (today), got a pic in mind for Canterlot's monthly drawfriend challenge thing. Pony looking out of a window, leaning on the sill, rough sketch. Advice on the pose and form (especially the forelegs) would be much appreciated because the foreshortening is confusing me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

Day 77. Nothing special.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 78, more on that pic from the last post.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

9. - Top - End - #699
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, there's quite a variety of head styles, especially with Season 2 adding even more.

I noticed that about that particular pose, yeah. The mouth looked off, but I couldn't really see how to put it. I'll bare that in mind next time.

The one with the moustache is actually Flam. Fancy pants has a much shorter muzzle, and a more rounded head.
    Oh you mustache unicorns, why can't I tell your fine facial hair apart?
    They should add more female head types...

Those are some good feet! I'm jelly.

That pose from behind is quite tricky isn't it? I took another crack at it (Day 74) copying Fluttershy from that pic three posts back.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

Better, but I'm still not sure about how the back legs actually go.
    I'm not sure either on the back legs either... I need to take another shot at it. Maybe do a whole bar scene with ponies on stools, or maybe do a scene of fillies sitting down or something. I dunno.

Day 76 (today), got a pic in mind for Canterlot's monthly drawfriend challenge thing. Pony looking out of a window, leaning on the sill, rough sketch. Advice on the pose and form (especially the forelegs) would be much appreciated because the foreshortening is confusing me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

The scene doesn't seem to use a vanishing point, which is fine, you can make the scene without it. Of course it may just have a very subtle one, and you just got rid of the lines for the preview. But if you did not, then I have the following advice.
    The biggest problem with this scene that I see is that the window line and the floor line hinted at by the position of the legs do not match up. They are not parallel. You can fix this by making the window line straight like the floor line, or, preferably, just changing the feet position.
    I don't know how to properly explain this.
    Think of how a square window and the floor in houses are parallel (and level if it was built by anyone half-way competent), in a simple scene without a vanishing point like this, they should be parallel as well. When they aren't parallel with each other you get a odd slightly cubism effect, which is fine, if that's what your going for. But I don't think it is.

I don't mean to offend, but I doodled some lines in your image to illustrate what I was talking about.
    Spoiler
    Show

The red is preferable as I think that's the angle you were going for. It's also the easiest to fix, as you just have to push up that leg.

But nice work, I don't really see anything really bad on the forelegs. But I would make them a bit fatter and not so skinny. But this is as much a stylistic decision as much as anything else.

Day 12-13-14,

Spoiler
    Show
    The past three days I've been picking away at a Twidash (wait that sounds like a Rainbow Dash Twilight ship, Rapilight?) picture with Trainer Spike.

Spike's arms and legs are a bit of a oddity for me, as they are disproportionate by design. Still, I think I made his arms too long. Espiecally the pointing one. I'm also not sure on the whole pose so I may or may not change how he's pulling down his cap with his left hand.
    I finally found a good method for drawing flames that I'm somewhat happy with. So Yay for that. At least it'll do for now. The fun part will be coloring it... By fun I mean frustrating.

Spike's a pokemon collector. He cares about the strength of the pokemon of course, but he's mostly concerned with rarity.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, I totally haven't dropped off the face of the Earth! That's good, right? Anyway, I finally have a foxpic that I kind of like, and will probably be tweaking and coloring soon.

Spoiler
    Show

I felt like I was skirting burnout for the past few days, which is why I've largely stayed off the forums, but I think I'm finally starting to feel better! Hopefully, I'll get back to semi-regular posting soonish.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

11. - Top - End - #701
    Colossus in the Playground

I finally found a good method for drawing flames that I'm somewhat happy with. So Yay for that. At least it'll do for now. The fun part will be coloring it... By fun I mean frustrating.
    Flames are far more curved than you'd instinctively expect, aren't they?

I've actually found colouring fire to be really fun; three tone red-orange-yellow from external to internal, a few tiny dashes of white at the very heart of the fire, make them blend and overlap a little while still establishing a few sharp edges, and add a bit of a glow surrounding the edge of the fire. I'm sure there are simpler/better ways to do it than the results of my random experimentation though.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

Yay! More peoples! I always get worried during those quiet periods.

The scene doesn't seem to use a vanishing point, which is fine, you can make the scene without it. Of course it may just have a very subtle one, and you just got rid of the lines for the preview. But if you did not, then I have the following advice.
    The biggest problem with this scene that I see is that the window line and the floor line hinted at by the position of the legs do not match up. They are not parallel. You can fix this by making the window line straight like the floor line, or, preferably, just changing the feet position.
    I don't know how to properly explain this.
    Think of how a square window and the floor in houses are parallel (and level if it was built by anyone half-way competent), in a simple scene without a vanishing point like this, they should be parallel as well. When they aren't parallel with each other you get a odd slightly cubism effect, which is fine, if that's what your going for. But I don't think it is.

I don't mean to offend, but I doodled some lines in your image to illustrate what I was talking about.
    Spoiler
    Show

The red is preferable as I think that's the angle you were going for. It's also the easiest to fix, as you just have to push up that leg.

But nice work, I don't really see anything really bad on the forelegs. But I would make them a bit fatter and not so skinny. But this is as much a stylistic decision as much as anything else.
    You'd think that at this point I'd remember stuff like vanishing points and perspectives. Still got a long way to go.

This help has been very useful. I'll modify the position of that foot... as soon as I can figure out why my tablet drivers have stopped working

EDIT:

Okay, this is actually the work of both yesterday and today (started colouring yesterday). Uh, days... 79-80 i think.

Wow... 80 days already?

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, I didn't do the cutie mark. Couldn't be bothered... I'm tired :/

Hopefully the legs look right now. 'cept that they are maybe a smidge too long.

Day 12-13-14,

Spoiler
    Show
    The past three days I've been picking away at a Twidash (wait that sounds like a Rainbow Dash Twilight ship, Rapilight?) picture with Trainer Spike.

Spike's arms and legs are a bit of a oddity for me, as they are disproportionate by design. Still, I think I made his arms too long. Espiecally the pointing one. I'm also not sure on the whole pose so I may or may not change how he's pulling down his cap with his left hand.

Spike's a pokemon collector. He cares about the strength of the pokemon of course, but he's mostly concerned with rarity.
    Looks excellent! I think Spike's arms are just fine. Maybe his back foot could do with being a bit lower, but without a background it's a little hard for me to see the angle you're going for.

XD Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Ok, I totally haven't dropped off the face of the Earth! That's good, right? Anyway, I finally have a foxpic that I kind of like, and will probably be tweaking and coloring soon.

Spoiler
    Show

I felt like I was skirting burnout for the past few days, which is why I've largely stayed off the forums, but I think I'm finally starting to feel better! Hopefully, I'll get back to semi-regular posting soonish.
    Ah, I know that burnt out feeling all too well. Take your time.

The fox is looking great!
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Day 81

"Okay, that's the cutie mark added. Now I need to do the background.

...How do I do that again?"

Yes, I haven't done a proper background for a picture in years, and even then I think it was just the one time, so forgive me for this being a bit lackluster. And also unfinished.
    Spoiler
    Show

Based on Dash's bedroom from Read it and Weep.

Does the line in the window look about right for a horizon?

Edit: Also, I found this earlier, maybe it could be a good reference image for people? I've very rarely seen pics of ponies from above.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-03-21 at 06:21 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

14. - Top - End - #704
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flames are far more curved than you'd instinctively expect, aren't they?

I've actually found colouring fire to be really fun; three tone red-orange-yellow from external to internal, a few tiny dashes of white at the very heart of the fire, make them blend and overlap a little while still establishing a few sharp edges, and add a bit of a glow surrounding the edge of the fire. I'm sure there are simpler/better ways to do it than the results of my random experimentation though.
    They are curver then I thought! But they where fun to do once I figured out how.
    Thanks for the head up on the colors! I'll keep them in mind as guidelines, it'll save me some time.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post

Spoiler
    Show

It looks great! But take your time, taking a break always helps.

Looks excellent! I think Spike's arms are just fine. Maybe his back foot could do with being a bit lower, but without a background it's a little hard for me to see the angle you're going for.
    Thanks!
    Actually, there is a vanishing point set up in the picture and spike's legs follow it. However, they do it in a very lazy halfhearted manner. I'll probably fix it later.

XD Nice!
    I do my best.

You'd think that at this point I'd remember stuff like vanishing points and perspectives. Still got a long way to go.
    Don't worry about it, I think we all have a long way to go. Before we reach artistic nirvana and can all lean back and chill in our artistic perfection. Besides, I think the journey is more important then the destination in these cases, it's just fun improving. And you have improved a lot and that's what matters in the end.

Vanishing points and perspective is annoying and one of the more odd things to learn. I struggle with it myself. To practice you should just make a simple scene and use it. Once you start it starts becomes (somewhat) easier to handle. It's just remebering to set it up which is a pain.

Day 81

"Okay, that's the cutie mark added. Now I need to do the background.

...How do I do that again?"

Yes, I haven't done a proper background for a picture in years, and even then I think it was just the one time, so forgive me for this being a bit lackluster. And also unfinished.
    Spoiler
    Show

Based on Dash's bedroom from Read it and Weep.

Does the line in the window look about right for a horizon?

Edit: Also, I found this earlier, maybe it could be a good reference image for people? I've very rarely seen pics of ponies from above.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks much better now!
    Because of the angle of the window seal, I think that the horizon line should be a bit higher. Just a little above the area where the windowsill meets the window wall (for lack of a better term). There isn't a vanishing point so it's a bit off, but the scene will still work if you place it higher I think.
    What are you going to put on the background? Plains? Forest? Or ponyville?

Thanks for the reference photo!
    It almost makes me want to make a top down old school pony game. A confusing as heck old rpg were the dialogue boxes open up slow and no one gives clear directions on where your supposed to go to advance the story.

Yay! More peoples! I always get worried during those quiet periods.
    Wow... 80 days already?
    Congratulations! This calls for some cake! A traditional moon cake.

Day 15,
    Spoiler
    Show

A quick Luna with a moon cake.
    I must say though, I admire your ability to stick with drawing so far day by day. When the pony thread begins to lag and I think it's dead for sure, you post art and keep at it which makes me feel bad for doubting it.
    And for not drawing of course, then there's nothing to do but pick up my wacom pen and return back to the battle so to speak. So kudos for that.

Now for yesterday,

Day 14,

Spoiler
    Show

A squiggle, doodle mess. This was more of a stream of conscious thing. At first I was going to work on character expressions, but my mind kept wandering from place to place. Finally I begin to wonder if pony's could wear dark age helms. Anyway, better luck next time I guess.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Troll in the Playground

Don't worry about it, I think we all have a long way to go. Before we reach artistic nirvana and can all lean back and chill in our artistic perfection. Besides, I think the journey is more important then the destination in these cases, it's just fun improving. And you have improved a lot and that's what matters in the end.
    Heh, artistic nirvana. If I ever reach that I'll be a very happy man. Just gonna take it slow.

Vanishing points and perspective is annoying and one of the more odd things to learn. I struggle with it myself. To practice you should just make a simple scene and use it. Once you start it starts becomes (somewhat) easier to handle. It's just remebering to set it up which is a pain.
    Yeah, I'll get around to doing that sometime, I'm sure ^^:

It looks much better now!
    Because of the angle of the window seal, I think that the horizon line should be a bit higher. Just a little above the area where the windowsill meets the window wall (for lack of a better term). There isn't a vanishing point so it's a bit off, but the scene will still work if you place it higher I think.
    What are you going to put on the background? Plains? Forest? Or ponyville?
    I have no idea! :D

No, seriously, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm making this up as I go. The idea was to have Dash looking out over a stormy day (sad because she wants to go do some stunts) but I never thought of what would be underneith. I guess I'll do a forest, maybe with some mountains behind?

Thanks for the reference photo!
    It almost makes me want to make a top down old school pony game. A confusing as heck old rpg were the dialogue boxes open up slow and no one gives clear directions on where your supposed to go to advance the story.
    You're welcome! I find I'm spotting these interesting poses and angles more often now, so whenever I find one, I can post it here for people. More references is always good.

Congratulations! This calls for some cake! A traditional moon cake.

Day 15,
    Spoiler
    Show

A quick Luna with a moon cake.
    I must say though, I admire your ability to stick with drawing so far day by day. When the pony thread begins to lag and I think it's dead for sure, you post art and keep at it which makes me feel bad for doubting it.
    And for not drawing of course, then there's nothing to do but pick up my wacom pen and return back to the battle so to speak. So kudos for that.
    First thought: Moon cake? Heh, nice.

Second thought: Wait, did you draw that just to congratulate me? If so, thank you!

Third thought: OHMYGOSH she's wearing oven mitts and an apron HNNNNNNNG!

Colour this pic! I need to use it as my standard birthday message in the main Ponythread!

I'm glad I've managed to inspire you and spur you on. And I'm amazed that I've managed to stick with it this long. I must admit that several times I've considered just skipping a day, usually when I'm tired and annoyed after work. But I can't. I know myself. If I stop for just one day that sets up a precedent. From then on I'll be able to think "well, just one day here and there can't hurt" and then it degrades from there. Next thing I know I'll be skipping once a week. Then twice. Eventually I'll end up back where I was this time last year, drawing maybe once every two months and doing nothing special with it. I can't let that happen. I'll never improve that way.

Maybe at some point I'll reconsider, if I'm really burnt out and need a break. But for now, full steam ahead!

Now for yesterday,

Day 14,

Spoiler
    Show

A squiggle, doodle mess. This was more of a stream of conscious thing. At first I was going to work on character expressions, but my mind kept wandering from place to place. Finally I begin to wonder if pony's could wear dark age helms. Anyway, better luck next time I guess.

Nice work! I have no real critiques, save that the human guy's ear seems a little too circular, but that might just be a style thing, since you haven't really detailed it.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

Day 82, background has been attempted.

Spoiler
    Show

The clouds will likely be redone later since they don't look right to me. I'll add in the rain effects when I figure out how to do them.

After that, I think I'll do some shading. For once.

Also, while looking for info on how to do trees I found this tutorial; might be helpful for someone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

17. - Top - End - #707
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, seriously, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm making this up as I go.
    There's nothing wrong with that! Some of the best things are born that way.

First thought: Moon cake? Heh, nice.

Second thought: Wait, did you draw that just to congratulate me? If so, thank you!

Third thought: OHMYGOSH she's wearing oven mitts and an apron HNNNNNNNG!

Colour this pic! I need to use it as my standard birthday message in the main Ponythread!
    No problem! I'm glad you liked it!
    Well, I hadn't drawn anything that day, and then I read that you had actually passed the 80 mark and thought that the occasion called for a cake.

I'll color it for sure, I have been meaning to take a crack at coloring *ascended* Luna's night sky mane.

I'm glad I've managed to inspire you and spur you on. And I'm amazed that I've managed to stick with it this long. I must admit that several times I've considered just skipping a day, usually when I'm tired and annoyed after work. But I can't. I know myself. If I stop for just one day that sets up a precedent. From then on I'll be able to think "well, just one day here and there can't hurt" and then it degrades from there. Next thing I know I'll be skipping once a week. Then twice. Eventually I'll end up back where I was this time last year, drawing maybe once every two months and doing nothing special with it. I can't let that happen. I'll never improve that way.

Maybe at some point I'll reconsider, if I'm really burnt out and need a break. But for now, full steam ahead!
    The next big number is 100, go for it!
    I need to start doing better with the day to day drawing thing. I've taken one to many breaks...

Nice work! I have no real critiques, save that the human guy's ear seems a little too circular, but that might just be a style thing, since you haven't really detailed it.
    A left over from the more generic anime style, I need to work on ears.

Day 82, background has been attempted.

Spoiler
    Show

The clouds will likely be redone later since they don't look right to me. I'll add in the rain effects when I figure out how to do them.

After that, I think I'll do some shading. For once.

Also, while looking for info on how to do trees I found this tutorial; might be helpful for someone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the tutorial, it has been saved.
    The picture looks nice colorwise, it looks like the storm's about to break.
    But I'm not sold on the trees, some seem identical to others and they mesh into each other. Have you considered giving them defined outlines?
    Or varying each tree layer via color? With the trees in the front being one color, the trees in the back being another and so on. Generally speaking, the ones in the front green and then slowly fusing into a bluish/gray/green to match your sky color. It would give it a bit more depth.
    Here is a scene in show that shows trees with varying colors to give it some depth. A bit different but in spirit the same.
    http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/5...ree_Forest.jpg
    You can see the trees in front are green, then the ones in the back are bluish.

Also the treeline/horizon line seems off. It seems it should be "steeper" or more extreme. I'm having trouble explaining this with words. I'll try to whip something up tomorrow.
    I'm slightly lightheaded due to lack of sleep. Sorry for the muddled comments, I'll try to give you some better commentary tomorrow.

Day 16,

Spoiler
    Show
    Have some off model Applejack, AJ and Twilight are still the only ponies who I can make passable attempts at without references. The rest of them have odder hair types which can cause some confusion.
    So yay to off model ponies! Drawn from memory!
    I was listening to some Wild Arms remixes when drawing this one. Say yes to cheezy fan music.
    Went for a slight mysterious stranger vibe.

Still, given it was done without references I'm pleased with it, even if it doesn't follow the show's style that well. Ignore the back legs and the fact she only has one. She lost the other in the war.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-03-22 at 10:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Dwarf in the Playground

As a side note, the only reason why I brought up the tree color thing and depth is because I've been planning a forest scene and I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I don't mean to nag, but it's something I've been looking into so this is as much as me organizing my own thoughts as me being an annoying git. Sorry if I come off as a blunt oaf. I find that I often do and end up typing and saying many things that I regret afterwords.

Feel free to ignore this, but this is a step to give forests a bit of depth and helps make the perspective pop. And it is a relatively easy one to do, involving no shading or anything like that. Even when working with only base colors it will help.

Spoiler
    Show

In this pic I used three main colors for three different layers of trees like I described in the post before, green in front, and then as it goes back it melds into the sky/background color. The picture is very crude, but I just wanted to illustrate what I was harping about. Also, I guess if the technique works for these horrible doodles, then it must be solid. I just copied the line art for all three layers and moved it around to make it less noticeable as I was feeling lazy. The three colors also help make the trees more distinctive from each other rather then using a single color and them becoming hard to tell apart. Of course more colors and layers can be used to get the forest as crowded as possible if the artist so chooses. And whatever way the artist chooses to make the trees as we all dance quite differently!

The higher horizon line is above while the lower horizon line is below.
    The three layers are spaced out more vertically when the horizon line is higher versus when it is lower like in the bottom one were all the trees are practically on the horizon line. I realized I wasn't so sure on whether or not the forest line was directly on the horizon in your picture or not.

If anyone more knowledgeable on these things wants to pop in and correct me on these things, feel free! I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-03-23 at 09:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not happy with the trees either. I'll redo them at some point. I messed about a little with them, but I don't like how they are right now. I also think I made them too big. Thank you for the pics and explanation, they'll be a big help ^^

I really liked that AJ pic, BTW. Cowpokes in ponchos are always awesome in my book.

Yesterday (83) I was knackered. Fell asleep right after dinner, which is unusal for me. I sketched out a quick Rarity pic, but nothing special.
    Spoiler
    Show

Today (84) I found a tutorial on doing rain effects (here) and added that, along with playing around with the trees a little.
    Spoiler
    Show

Still don't like that cloud.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

20. - Top - End - #710
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm glad you found my comments somewhat useful and I wasn't just being annoying!

I really liked that AJ pic, BTW. Cowpokes in ponchos are always awesome in my book.
    Thank you!
    As a side note, I almost drew the Clint Eastwood as the mysterious stranger walking behind her, as a insane cross-eyed cross-over, but then I got lazy.

Yesterday (83) I was knackered. Fell asleep right after dinner, which is unusal for me. I sketched out a quick Rarity pic, but nothing special.
    Spoiler
    Show

Today (84) I found a tutorial on doing rain effects (here) and added that, along with playing around with the trees a little.
    Spoiler
    Show

Still don't like that cloud.
    The trees look much better now that they are faded into the background!

On the cloud, I think the problem is that it's too solid and flat. Also, as it is now seems to be plastered to the window.

On the raindrops,
    Remember, you are looking at the bottom of the clouds.
    Imagine looking out a window on a rainy day, the rain*screen* for lack of a better word covers the complete window. You do not see the raindrops coming from the clouds like a slice from an ant farm, instead you see them coming down from the bottom of the clouds. The clouds, after all, are above the window and your house.

Also, remember that clouds stretch all the way to the horizonline, see the picture here.
    http://mahiart.com/blog/wp-content/u...rinalabama.jpg

You could try making another cloud layer and position it lower then the one you have and try to diffuse that one into the background color like you did with the trees and see how that looks. As the background color is already cloudy and is perfect for the it's raining cats and dogs effect. That's just a random suggestion. I really don't know how it would look.

Day 18, (Day 17 were those scribbly trees in the last post. Yep, that was a whole day.)

Spoiler
    Show

I realized it has been a long time since I attempted to draw women. So I set out to fix that. Was trying to design a new character for my ye medieval times, ended up going with something ancient and celticish. Oh well, I'm sure this can be handwaved. I need to work on actually drawing a complete humanoid figure. Next week is going to be full figure week! And I'm going to stick by that too!

I tried drawing Pinkie too, her hair is... odd. Maybe that's why she's so sad, she's disappointed in my attempts at her mane. I'll try again later. I need to increase my number of memorized passable ponies I can draw at will. Then I'll be the hit at all the parties and social gatherings.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

I'm glad you found my comments somewhat useful and I wasn't just being annoying!
    Not at all! Helping each other is the whole point of this thread, and I'd be a fool to turn down good advice. ^^

So, today (85) I messed about with the cloud, fading it into the background; added a mask to the rain layer so that it fades into the clouds; added some simple mountains in the background; and darkened the scene a little to make it a bit moodier. It's still missing something, but it's definitely improving!
    Spoiler
    Show

I realized it has been a long time since I attempted to draw women. So I set out to fix that. Was trying to design a new character for my ye medieval times, ended up going with something ancient and celticish. Oh well, I'm sure this can be handwaved. I need to work on actually drawing a complete humanoid figure. Next week is going to be full figure week! And I'm going to stick by that too!

I tried drawing Pinkie too, her hair is... odd. Maybe that's why she's so sad, she's disappointed in my attempts at her mane. I'll try again later. I need to increase my number of memorized passable ponies I can draw at will. Then I'll be the hit at all the parties and social gatherings.
    Looks good! Some very nice ladies there, celtic, medieval or otherwise.

On Pinkie's mane: the top part looks a little big, and it seems to be splitting in two at the back. There's the regular part off to the side, but then you have some hair coming from what appears to be other other side of her neck, which looks out of place.

On the plus side, I like her pouty face.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

22. - Top - End - #712

Not at all! Helping each other is the whole point of this thread, and I'd be a fool to turn down good advice. ^^

So, today (85) I messed about with the cloud, fading it into the background; added a mask to the rain layer so that it fades into the clouds; added some simple mountains in the background; and darkened the scene a little to make it a bit moodier. It's still missing something, but it's definitely improving!
    Background wall is too imposing a colour. Wash it out a bit so that the focus is on Rainbow Dash. Additionally, that windowsill she's leaning on doesn't have quite parallel lines.

Sorry I haven't been more adviceful in this thread recently!

23. - Top - End - #713
    Troll in the Playground

Background wall is too imposing a colour. Wash it out a bit so that the focus is on Rainbow Dash.
    Any better? I'm also thinking of cropping the image a little more so that Rainbow is in the centre.
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, and I don't think that counts as drawing, so I'll do another sketch or something for day 86.

Additionally, that windowsill she's leaning on doesn't have quite parallel lines.
    Did a quick check. I think you're right, but it's just barely off. Lines of the same colour are parallel:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hardly seems worth fixing.

Sorry I haven't been more adviceful in this thread recently!
    Adviceful?
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriously though, don't worry about it. I don't have much advice to give either. Just chip in when you can. ^^

EDIT:
    Cropped the pic to put the focus on Dash more:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also tried another Big Macintosh, with a ref this time. Day 86:
    Spoiler
    Show

Big Mac's got really different proportions to regular ponies. No wonder I got it so wrong last time.

See if you can spot the point where I got tired.
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-03-26 at 05:09 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I guess I'll consider the Rainy Day Dash pic done. So, on to new things.

Day 87, a WIP
    Spoiler
    Show

Smug Diamond Tiara was actually pretty satisfying to draw, though filly body shapes can be tricky.

Requesting reference images of ponies (preferably fillies) lying down on their front like Silver Spoon there. The hind legs in that instance are so hard to do.

Guess the pun
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

25. - Top - End - #715
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry for not posting for the last three days or so, life has beaten me over the head with a mallet and left me unconscious in a random alley.
    But even through this I have continued to draw! So yay, I guess.

Well, I guess I'll consider the Rainy Day Dash pic done. So, on to new things.

Day 87, a WIP
    Spoiler
    Show

Smug Diamond Tiara was actually pretty satisfying to draw, though filly body shapes can be tricky.

Requesting reference images of ponies (preferably fillies) lying down on their front like Silver Spoon there. The hind legs in that instance are so hard to do.

Guess the pun
    Your Rainy Day picture looks good!
    I really didn't have anything else to suggest, without any nitpicks to pick at, it's rather hard thinking of something to post.
    Big Mac also looks fine, though I'll guess and say you got tired with the feet.

On Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara, let me go out on a limb and say this is a major improvement on your old picture of these two. The lines are better too, which is saying something as your older one was in pencil instead of tablet, which (I take) you have been using a lot longer.
    If Tiara = Diamond Celestia, is Silver Spoon = Silver Moon?
    I admit, my pun radar is broken at the moment as my head isn't tied on right at the moment.

Some commentary on open mouths, lines, circles and stuff,
    Spoiler
    Show

I think your line for Diamond Tiara's mouth is a bit too far back. As it is now it looks like she's a bit like she's a Muppet. Now, I have a lot of trouble with this position and open mouths myself, see my Run Winona Run picture with AJ for example. But I find that if you move the inside of the mouth line to your line for head/circle it generally works ok. What I mean is use the same circle you use for the head during the pre-drawing. If that makes sense. Alright, it's late, and I'm starting to confuse myself. I'll do better tomorrow.
    Here's some pictures,

Day 19-20-21,

It's full form week and I haven't forgotten either, dang it!

Spoiler
    Show
    Day 19 is the one all the way to the right, a old character from a old, old, abandoned concept. She's supposed to be sitting on a trunk waiting for a train. It was then I realized I was really out of practice with anatomy. It's best to forget this one and move onto the next.

Day 20, is our barbarian Celtic women from the middle ages. I figured that in middle age Europe there is plenty of examples of older culture ideas surviving in backwater eras, like the Baltics/Latvia. And besides, this is more a ye early medieval dark age style concept anyway, there were still plenty of pagans running around in Europe during this time.
    Anyway, I decided to do a running pose! Sadly it appears that the foot closes to you should have had more foreshortening. Also, that shield is not just me being lazy in drawing another half-hearted ugly hand! That shield is canon.
    Also her head is too big, I could sue for a slightly cartoony look, but this was not a conscious choice so it doesn't count.

Day 21,
    Couldn't decided on what to draw, anything I begun to draw turned out badly. Revived another old dead character. A robot girl made from a mish/mash of Rouge Squadron helmets, megaman, trash can parts, with a odd Buck Rogers sci-fi vibe throughout tasked with defending the earth from evilz and stuff. Now with horrible foreshortening!!
    Too much on the leg the close to the viewer, and her pose is all over the place. Needless to say, this one was a stream of conscious type deal. But it got me drawing.

And it warmed me up to draw an off model Pinkie Pie! I must say this is the best Pinkie Pie I have ever made (not saying much). She's watching TV on a fluffy bed. Don't ask what she's watching.... I always wanted to draw Pinkie on a fluffy bed, it matches her puffy hair. Now that I have scribbled this, I can die happy.
    She's doing a Lyra pose but I sue for cartoon anatomy. The mane is off too, still, I'm happy with it.
    Soon I'll be making off-model Pinkies with my eyes close.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for not posting for the last three days or so, life has beaten me over the head with a mallet and left me unconscious in a random alley.
    But even through this I have continued to draw! So yay, I guess.
    yay.

Your Rainy Day picture looks good!
    I really didn't have anything else to suggest, without any nitpicks to pick at, it's rather hard thinking of something to post.
    Big Mac also looks fine, though I'll guess and say you got tired with the feet.
    While I didn't do great on the feet (forgot the fetlocks) I was refering to his terrible mane and complete lack of harness.

On Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara, let me go out on a limb and say this is a major improvement on your old picture of these two. The lines are better too, which is saying something as your older one was in pencil instead of tablet, which (I take) you have been using a lot longer.
    If Tiara = Diamond Celestia, is Silver Spoon = Silver Moon?
    I admit, my pun radar is broken at the moment as my head isn't tied on right at the moment.
    Oooh, so close! Princess Celestiara and Nightmare Spoon.

But thank you! I'm glad to know that I'm improving. I did look back at some of my earlier stuff and it really does show.

Some commentary on open mouths, lines, circles and stuff,
    Spoiler
    Show

I think your line for Diamond Tiara's mouth is a bit too far back. As it is now it looks like she's a bit like she's a Muppet. Now, I have a lot of trouble with this position and open mouths myself, see my Run Winona Run picture with AJ for example. But I find that if you move the inside of the mouth line to your line for head/circle it generally works ok. What I mean is use the same circle you use for the head during the pre-drawing. If that makes sense. Alright, it's late, and I'm starting to confuse myself. I'll do better tomorrow.
    Here's some pictures,

Ah, thank you. I did worry that the mouth was off. I did fix it, and drew the rest of Silver Spoon. Sadly, Photobucket has decided that my computer is a mobile phone for some reason, and as such I can't really upload anything. Or rather, I can, but it requires something that I can't be bothered to work out as it is rather late right now.

Day 19-20-21,

It's full form week and I haven't forgotten either, dang it!

Spoiler
    Show
    Day 19 is the one all the way to the right, a old character from a old, old, abandoned concept. She's supposed to be sitting on a trunk waiting for a train. It was then I realized I was really out of practice with anatomy. It's best to forget this one and move onto the next.

Day 20, is our barbarian Celtic women from the middle ages. I figured that in middle age Europe there is plenty of examples of older culture ideas surviving in backwater eras, like the Baltics/Latvia. And besides, this is more a ye early medieval dark age style concept anyway, there were still plenty of pagans running around in Europe during this time.
    Anyway, I decided to do a running pose! Sadly it appears that the foot closes to you should have had more foreshortening. Also, that shield is not just me being lazy in drawing another half-hearted ugly hand! That shield is canon.
    Also her head is too big, I could sue for a slightly cartoony look, but this was not a conscious choice so it doesn't count.

Day 21,
    Couldn't decided on what to draw, anything I begun to draw turned out badly. Revived another old dead character. A robot girl made from a mish/mash of Rouge Squadron helmets, megaman, trash can parts, with a odd Buck Rogers sci-fi vibe throughout tasked with defending the earth from evilz and stuff. Now with horrible foreshortening!!
    Too much on the leg the close to the viewer, and her pose is all over the place. Needless to say, this one was a stream of conscious type deal. But it got me drawing.

And it warmed me up to draw an off model Pinkie Pie! I must say this is the best Pinkie Pie I have ever made (not saying much). She's watching TV on a fluffy bed. Don't ask what she's watching.... I always wanted to draw Pinkie on a fluffy bed, it matches her puffy hair. Now that I have scribbled this, I can die happy.
    She's doing a Lyra pose but I sue for cartoon anatomy. The mane is off too, still, I'm happy with it.
    Soon I'll be making off-model Pinkies with my eyes close.

Looks good. Sadly I don't have any advice to offer, though I will say that Pinkie's mane and tail look much better this time around.

I oughta draw some more humans sometime.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

27. - Top - End - #717
    Troll in the Playground

Days 88 & 89. Didn't do that much today, just tweaking and stuff. I changed the eyes a little (though I'm not sure they're better), fixed some minor bits on Silver's accessories (her glasses are now on a separate layer because otherwise colouring her eyes would have been tricky) and cleaned up a few lines.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm also considering having DT put her hoof on Silver's head in a triumphant sort of manner, just to show some interaction between the two. Also might make Silver's accessories a bit broken and busted, as though there's been a scuffle between the two.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

28. - Top - End - #718

I'm also considering having DT put her hoof on Silver's head in a triumphant sort of manner, just to show some interaction between the two. Also might make Silver's accessories a bit broken and busted, as though there's been a scuffle between the two.
    Do this, and also fold Silver's forehooves under her head a bit; their position looks a bit unnatural.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Dwarf in the Playground

Days 88 & 89. Didn't do that much today, just tweaking and stuff. I changed the eyes a little (though I'm not sure they're better), fixed some minor bits on Silver's accessories (her glasses are now on a separate layer because otherwise colouring her eyes would have been tricky) and cleaned up a few lines.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ouch, Nightmare Spoon and Celestiara, well I was close.

Good idea on the pose. I also agree with Thanqol that the front legs do look a little weird on Nightmare Spoon and folding them a bit would be best.
    Here's a picture of Scootaloo in a similar position.

Spoiler
    Show

Day 22-23,

Spoiler
    Show
    Full figure week, is starting to crash. Yesterday I made a rat crossbow(wo)man. It's right arm is ridiculously too short and I can't argue for foreshortening for the sad thing. Actually both arms are off and a little on the short side. She was probably just born like that, poor dear. Need to find out a quick way to draw mail.
    Today I drew a girl in a hoodie and sweatpants, just standing there. Yeah, not much to say, but the arms are off. I think I'm starting to see a pattern... Need to get serious with the anatomy next week. Need to also color all those pony pictures I have stacked up...
    Today I also drew some off-model ponies, trying to devise a style I can actually draw pretty quickly using my pencil. So there kinda off the beaten track there fused with my old half-hearted cartoon style of my early teenage years. The pinkie on the right is just a blob, while the Pinkie and AJ in the middle are a bit more stylistic.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Troll in the Playground

Do this, and also fold Silver's forehooves under her head a bit; their position looks a bit unnatural.
    Good idea on the pose. I also agree with Thanqol that the front legs do look a little weird on Nightmare Spoon and folding them a bit would be best.
    Here's a picture of Scootaloo in a similar position.

Spoiler
    Show

Day 90. I edited Spoon's legs a little. Unfortunately Scootaloo's tail hides her legs a bit in that pic so I'm not sure that I got it right.

I tried to move Diamond's leg onto Spoon but I just can't figure out how to get it looking right. I think I'll have to have Diamond's hoof on Spoon's back but I'm not sure how to make it look right at that angle. I'll keep trying tomorrow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 22-23,

Spoiler
    Show
    Full figure week, is starting to crash. Yesterday I made a rat crossbow(wo)man. It's right arm is ridiculously too short and I can't argue for foreshortening for the sad thing. Actually both arms are off and a little on the short side. She was probably just born like that, poor dear. Need to find out a quick way to draw mail.
    Today I drew a girl in a hoodie and sweatpants, just standing there. Yeah, not much to say, but the arms are off. I think I'm starting to see a pattern... Need to get serious with the anatomy next week. Need to also color all those pony pictures I have stacked up...
    Today I also drew some off-model ponies, trying to devise a style I can actually draw pretty quickly using my pencil. So there kinda off the beaten track there fused with my old half-hearted cartoon style of my early teenage years. The pinkie on the right is just a blob, while the Pinkie and AJ in the middle are a bit more stylistic.

To be honest, I can't see the problem with the arms on the girl on the right. Can you be more specific as to what's wrong?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show