New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Thanks. And yes, it's kind of a given with raster art. In exchange, I absolutely suck at vector graphics. MinMaxing, if you will. :P
    I find tablets suck for vector art anyway. I always take my mouse, bust down the sensitivity to something quite low and vector with that. It's mostly down to personal skill (and preference). I genuinely like both styles of art for different reasons and I'm fairly proficient at both.

edit/MergePost: This thread has really slowed down. Where are Bakuel and the druid droid? Noctemwolf? flyingchicken? Thanqol? Where'd you all disappear to?
    Uni/School/Life? I find that's normally what happens. Lack of new pony can also kill it. Happened with the Megatokyo fanart forum. When Fred was updating the comic heaps there were a lot of us doing stuff, when it died off, so did we. Only two or three people still doing stuff there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Second, a bit more on the gift-art I was doing. The background needs some work, but this is a good framework for it. I'm mixing stuff from the show. Most of the colours for the grass were taken from a day shot, but the sunset colours were from the beginning of Lesson Zero.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll move the pony/lamp to better positions later. Also, I may add a house or something in the background later. Also, I'm not sure about the position/shape of the eyes, so that's why they are showing through the mane.
    I'd redraw the lamp...And redo all the lineart. A) You want it consistent, B) you want varying line thickness in the lamp post and whatnot, don't use shapes unless as a base, C) Your lines have basically no thickness variation and are far too light (in my opinion at least.

The background is really nice though, quite in line with the style of the show, so good work on that one.
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2012-05-24 at 09:40 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Colossus in the Playground

edit/MergePost: This thread has really slowed down. Where are Bakuel and the druid droid? Noctemwolf? flyingchicken? Thanqol? Where'd you all disappear to?
    I'm still checking this thread fairly regularly but I am A) In finals time B) Not confident enough in my skills to provide useful advice with anything resembling regularity. I'll have more time in a week or two.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I'm still checking this thread fairly regularly but I am A) In finals time B) Not confident enough in my skills to provide useful advice with anything resembling regularity. I'll have more time in a week or two.
    Ah yes, the mysterious "finals". Now I remember, I think. That'd explain the lack of activity. Oh well then, carry on. We'll try not to let the thread go stale in your absence.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    I'd redraw the lamp...And redo all the lineart. A) You want it consistent, B) you want varying line thickness in the lamp post and whatnot, don't use shapes unless as a base, C) Your lines have basically no thickness variation and are far too light (in my opinion at least.
    The lamp will be redone later. That's more of a placeholder so I can get the general size/position right.

I'll see about thickening up some of those lines too. I'm probably not going to make them as thick as on the show, but I agree that they could use some work to make them stand out a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    The background is really nice though, quite in line with the style of the show, so good work on that one.
    Thanks!
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #876

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    Trying to add real-er structure to ponies make them look more like the MLP toys (and, from what I've seen, the older MLP cartoons), which are terrible looking IMO. One of the things I like about pony show is the charming visual style. But for what you're doing, I guess it's not so bad!
    Yeah, I'd have to agree that the simpler style looks very neat. For whatever reason though, I just can't work with it. I'm constantly gravitating towards more realistic designs. Or what I perceive as more realistic, anyway. :P

For today's exercise, upscale and coloring of one of the Cherry Pop sketches.
    Spoiler
    Show

Whatever I do, I can't stop thinking that my smaller sketches look better than the larger ones. They have less space for detail, and proportionately thicker lines allow to "see" and fill in details that aren't actually there, while the higher resolution images compel me to try adding details where there probably shouldn't be any.

I suppose that means I should draw more of them large-scale images and try to defeat that particular habit. Onwards, then!

edit/MergePost: Today's new thing is another RD, plus quick visualization of wing structure and folding.
    Spoiler
    Show

This is, in general, the style of pony I am gravitating towards. Or, at least, am now aiming to gravitate towards, because it's reasonably on-model and reasonably real-looking.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

For today's exercise, upscale and coloring of one of the Cherry Pop sketches.
    Spoiler
    Show

Whatever I do, I can't stop thinking that my smaller sketches look better than the larger ones. They have less space for detail, and proportionately thicker lines allow to "see" and fill in details that aren't actually there, while the higher resolution images compel me to try adding details where there probably shouldn't be any.
    I noticed that she looks a little older here, probably due to an extra line around her eye which wasn't visable on the smaller version. I don't know if that's what you were going for.

Day 146. Thickened the lines a bit and added a little more detail in the background. Would have done more, but SUDDENLY OH GOD HAND CRAMP!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks. And yes, it's kind of a given with raster art. In exchange, I absolutely suck at vector graphics. MinMaxing, if you will. :P

----
    New thing for the day. Drawn as a request. Name's Cherry Pop. Don't ask.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am worst droid *hangs head*

Actually, I've been drawing, but a combination of really hating some of it and feeling odd about posting drawings of nude human models here has slowed down my updates. There are a couple I'm quite happy with though, so I'll probably suck it up and edit them in eventually. I have been lurking though; oh yes, always luuuurrrrking...

Also, Cherry Pop, eh? I don't think I need to ask... *eyebrow waggle*

EDIT: As promised, sketches! I've shifted to working with human anatomy for a bit, so I've been sneaking some tutorial links and such from Thanqol's drawthread. Some of the stuff in this list makes use of the online pose sites there; you should check them out!

First, some 8-head people for measuring:
    Spoiler
    Show

Next are three sketches made relatively quickly (5-10 minutes) with a focus on trying to get the essence of a pose down. They're definitely far from perfect, but the beat the stuffing out of a similar experiment earlier in the year:

(As mentioned above, there are nekkid people in the following, so consider yourselves warned)
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-05-26 at 02:09 AM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

9. - Top - End - #879

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Also, Cherry Pop, eh? I don't think I need to ask... *eyebrow waggle*
    Heh, quite. The OC author's got a whole backstory for her, even. I'm sort of wondering if he's planning to write a fic about it (he's the guy behind Special Delivery (the RDxShipping one), among other things), or is just going to keep the character for himself... not sure I mind either way. :P

EDIT: As promised, sketches! I've shifted to working with human anatomy for a bit, so I've been sneaking some tutorial links and such from Thanqol's drawthread. Some of the stuff in this list makes use of the online pose sites there; you should check them out!

Spoiler
    Show

Next are three sketches made relatively quickly (5-10 minutes) with a focus on trying to get the essence of a pose down. They're definitely far from perfect, but the beat the stuffing out of a similar experiment earlier in the year:

(As mentioned above, there are nekkid people in the following, so consider yourselves warned)
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, even to my eye those figures look far from perfect. But definitely not "bad", as I myself have done far worse in the past. And with how unstable my drawing quality is, I'm not safe from not doing worse in the future either.

------
    New thing for today. I've mentioned at some point that I've got only one real OC, Southern Sky. So, this is her. I never really got to look at her design and color with a critical eye before, so the result slightly fills me with dismay.
    Spoiler
    Show

Looks a little too much like a certain well-known pegasus explorer, doesn't she? Hair's not grayscale and in much less of a wild mess (more of a Hime Cut), but otherwise...*le sigh* This is a coincidence, I swear!
    As for her story... I'm still figuring out how much of it I can actually tell, and irregardless it's bound to be on the low end of the originality scale (regardless of whether it's true or not), considering the Multiworlds (and myself, by extension) are involved. Well, time will tell even if I won't.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

10. - Top - End - #880
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry for not posting more! I actually saw your post the other day and rushed to draw something on my tablet. Gimp locked up on me though and the image was lost, my usual luck.
    I'm still here, I just can't seem to find the time to post a lot on the weekdays. I only have about two more weeks of work to go before summer, but things can get pretty hectic before the end. I've actually been doing a lot art stuff, just not a lot of digital art. I'm ironing out the plot progression of Samurai-Equestria like a pre-storyboard type thing, and actually managed to think up a half-baked suitable ending~!, I've also been drawing every work day with pencil. But nothing really worth sharing, my pencils tend to be a bit messy and the subjects out there.

Still working on that AJ picture, but don't haven't got it to a point were it's worth posting.

Even though I haven't been doing the daily digital draw thing very well. I'm still keeping the day numbers though, for book keeping purposes. I like to be able to look back and compare to see if I got any better.

----
    New thing for the day. Drawn as a request. Name's Cherry Pop. Don't ask.
    [spoiler]*snip*
    Your Cherry Pop art is... Well, I'm glad I don't check up on this thread at work.

Silliness aside, it looks nice!

I hope the requester was satisfied with the product.
    If you know what I mean! Say no more, say no more! Nudges, winks, dancin' eyebrows and all that.

New thing for today. I've mentioned at some point that I've got only one real OC, Southern Sky. So, this is her. I never really got to look at her design and color with a critical eye before, so the result slightly fills me with dismay.
    Spoiler
    Show

Looks a little too much like a certain well-known pegasus explorer, doesn't she? Hair's not grayscale and in much less of a wild mess (more of a Hime Cut), but otherwise...*le sigh* This is a coincidence, I swear!
    As for her story... I'm still figuring out how much of it I can actually tell, and irregardless it's bound to be on the low end of the originality scale (regardless of whether it's true or not), considering the Multiworlds (and myself, by extension) are involved. Well, time will tell even if I won't.
    I agree that the design looks a bit like Daring Do. I like your new pony look, it has the best qualities of your old pony style while being closer to the show proportion wise.

Day 146. Thickened the lines a bit and added a little more detail in the background. Would have done more, but SUDDENLY OH GOD HAND CRAMP!
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    The thicker lines look much better! And I hope your hand feels better, I admit though, I had to laugh. Not out of malice, but it reminded me of my sudden random painful leg muscle spasms when I'm sitting down at the computer for a long time.

I am worst droid *hangs head*
    And I am the worst monster.

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

[SPOILER]*snip*
    I for one, do not mind the nude. They look nice, I can't over a better comment on anatomy stuff, don't know nothing about that! But I do envy your ability to sketch fast. I often get bogged down with fretting over making sure everything is planned exactly right.

Day 58, or "Random blarghh!"

Spoiler
    Show
    On the eve of the Battle of Marathon, in the Persian camp....
    Spoiler
    Show

Sadly this ancient time paradox brony would not survive the coming battle.
    A random doodle of a Iranian soldier that I drew on Friday while at work. His lips, eyes, and nose position needs a bit of tweaking. The eyes seem slightly off (alright there pretty darn crooked), the nose looks a little off-centered, and the mouth/lips should be raised. Still, this is one of the first times I have been mildly satisfied with coloring human skin. The facial shading needs work though!

Here is the doodle and some other ones which I did on friday, (ignore the awful random chicken scratch arabic words, I'm study'n! The doodles are actually procrastination.)
    Spoiler
    Show

The lines are a bit light and my scanner is old and less then optimal. My pencil work is bad and I should feel bad. But still, I was drawing and here is the proof! *cries*
    Silliness aside, I think for once I actually prefer the colored version. This is the first non-pony art that I can savely say that. Yay for progress I guess(?) I may swear off monochromes forever!
    Or not.

Finally a picture of OC ponies and Tropius, flying by a city, the next leg of their zany travel adventure!
    Its... different...
    Spoiler
    Show

Meaning it looks like a barf of colors on a canvas! A experiment gone somewhat wrong, I think I learned something from it. Not too sure what though. Today after coloring the Persian I wanted to draw ponies. But I couldn't think of any good ideas. But then I rediscovered a orchestra recording of a SNES Sim City song! And then I had to run off listen to the beginning. And was inspired by nostalgic to paint, forget line work! Everything is going to be rough!
    And then a train wreck happened.

I'll do some serious stuff later I swear!
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-05-27 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to reply to something,

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Sorry for not posting more! I actually saw your post the other day and rushed to draw something on my tablet. Gimp locked up on me though and the image was lost, my usual luck.
    I'm still here, I just can't seem to find the time to post a lot on the weekdays. I only have about two more weeks of work to go before summer, but things can get pretty hectic before the end. I've actually been doing a lot art stuff, just not a lot of digital art. I'm ironing out the plot progression of Samurai-Equestria like a pre-storyboard type thing, and actually managed to think up a half-baked suitable ending~!, I've also been drawing every work day with pencil. But nothing really worth sharing, my pencils tend to be a bit messy and the subjects out there.

Still working on that AJ picture, but don't haven't got it to a point were it's worth posting.

Even though I haven't been doing the daily digital draw thing very well. I'm still keeping the day numbers though, for book keeping purposes. I like to be able to look back and compare to see if I got any better.
    Yeah, I understand a lot of you people are in these "finals" things nowadays, so no rush, post when you're able. Posting here is much more interesting when there are others participating as well, so I hope you do well and return to your normal activity level soon.

Your Cherry Pop art is... Well, I'm glad I don't check up on this thread at work.

Silliness aside, it looks nice!

I hope the requester was satisfied with the product.
    If you know what I mean! Say no more, say no more! Nudges, winks, dancin' eyebrows and all that.
    He was, actually. Verbally, or the Skype-chat equivalent thereof.
    So, I guess I shouldn't be posting the other image he requested...
    I'm just taking an opportunity to practice poses, and he's providing it.

I agree that the design looks a bit like Daring Do. I like your new pony look, it has the best qualities of your old pony style while being closer to the show proportion wise.
    And that's exactly what I was going for. Glad you like it, I hope I'll be able to stick to it.

Day 58, or "Random blarghh!"

Spoiler
    Show
    On the eve of the Battle of Marathon, in the Persian camp....
    Spoiler
    Show

Sadly this ancient time paradox brony would not survive the coming battle.
    A random doodle of a Iranian soldier that I drew on Friday while at work. His lips, eyes, and nose position needs a bit of tweaking. The eyes seem slightly off (alright there pretty darn crooked), the nose looks a little off-centered, and the mouth/lips should be raised. Still, this is one of the first times I have been mildly satisfied with coloring human skin. The facial shading needs work though!

Here is the doodle and some other ones which I did on friday, (ignore the awful random chicken scratch arabic words, I'm study'n! The doodles are actually procrastination.)
    Spoiler
    Show

The lines are a bit light and my scanner is old and less then optimal. My pencil work is bad and I should feel bad. But still, I was drawing and here is the proof! *cries*
    Silliness aside, I think for once I actually prefer the colored version. This is the first non-pony art that I can savely say that. Yay for progress I guess(?) I may swear off monochromes forever!
    Or not.

Finally a picture of OC ponies and Tropius, flying by a city, the next leg of their zany travel adventure!
    Its... different...
    Spoiler
    Show

Meaning it looks like a barf of colors on a canvas! A experiment gone somewhat wrong, I think I learned something from it. Not too sure what though. Today after coloring the Persian I wanted to draw ponies. But I couldn't think of any good ideas. But then I rediscovered a orchestra recording of a SNES Sim City song! And then I had to run off listen to the beginning. And was inspired by nostalgic to paint, forget line work! Everything is going to be rough!
    And then a train wreck happened.

I'll do some serious stuff later I swear!
    Yeah, I like the colored version of the man better than the sketch too. But that is true for almost all good colored sketches, though usually except mine. I also like my sketches more than my color attempts for some reason.

And the last one is actually pretty good! It needs some more defined lines and less messy colors on the foreground characters, but even as-is it's pretty neat. I like it.

----
    New drawing for today, the two OCs (mine and the other guy's) sharing a table, some smoothies, and life stories. It's a small sketch I made as a guide to make a larger version.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you can offer suggestions on a better face expression for Southern Sky (you can likely imagine what Cherry Pop's story entails), I'll gladly hear it, because I'm currently at a loss.

edit/MergePost:Well, I seem to have fixed the expression on my own, I think it looks sort of appropriate now. And also redrawn it into proper size.
    Spoiler
    Show

Link
    I'm not actually upscaling, I suddenly find it easier to just redraw the whole thing using the small sketch as a guide. (Infinite canvas FTW!) That said, MyPaint seriously needs at least SOME editing tools. For instance, I want to nudge Cherry Pop closer to the table, and for that I suddenly need to save the whole thing as a transparent PNG, import it into Photoshop, edit, save as a transparent PNG there, load back, losing layers in the process. (though maybe I could just copypaste, that function still exists for some reason... but what with there being no way to move layers around, I wonder how well that works)
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

12. - Top - End - #882
    Troll in the Playground

The thicker lines look much better! And I hope your hand feels better, I admit though, I had to laugh. Not out of malice, but it reminded me of my sudden random painful leg muscle spasms when I'm sitting down at the computer for a long time.
    Thanks! I blame Diablo 3 for making it worse though.

Painful muscle spasms must suck :/

'Fraid I don't have any critique on people's work today. I just can't think of anything to add.

Days 147-148. More work on that one picture. Yesterday I didn't do much, just a little more on the background and drew the new lamp post. Today I finished off Flicker's eyes and cutie mark (still need to add a stripe to her mane/tail) and coloured in the lamp post. I'm not very pleased with how it's come out though. Anyone have any tips on drawing fires?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-05-27 at 06:09 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

13. - Top - End - #883

Anyone have any tips on drawing fires?
    Yes: (All from personal experience)

- Fires are curvey. There are NO jagged lines in fires.
    - Fires are red on the outside, yellow near the middle and white in the centre.
    - Fires burn upwards. Remember this!
    - Fires glow. Add a layer at about 20% transparency, make a solid shape around the fire, and then blur it.

That's all I got.

14. - Top - End - #884

Days 147-148. More work on that one picture. Yesterday I didn't do much, just a little more on the background and drew the new lamp post. Today I finished off Flicker's eyes and cutie mark (still need to add a stripe to her mane/tail) and coloured in the lamp post. I'm not very pleased with how it's come out though. Anyone have any tips on drawing fires?
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...and now I'm suddenly aware who Lampwick 'Flicker' Jane is, and why you're drawing her. I should really visit the Canterlot forums more often.

Should also get my hind end in gear and maybe finish/colorize the sketch I made.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

Also made one for MyLittlePonyTales' main OC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

Not looking nearly good enough without color, so I'll have to look into that one as well.

edit: Touched up/colorized the Flicker one.
    edit2: And done the same for Tales too.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-05-28 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added links, images rather screen-stretchy
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

Yes: (All from personal experience)

- Fires are curvey. There are NO jagged lines in fires.
    - Fires are red on the outside, yellow near the middle and white in the centre.
    - Fires burn upwards. Remember this!
    - Fires glow. Add a layer at about 20% transparency, make a solid shape around the fire, and then blur it.

That's all I got.
    All very helpful. Thanks!

...and now I'm suddenly aware who Lampwick 'Flicker' Jane is, and why you're drawing her. I should really visit the Canterlot forums more often.

Should also get my hind end in gear and maybe finish/colorize the sketch I made.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

Also made one for MyLittlePonyTales' main OC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

Not looking nearly good enough without color, so I'll have to look into that one as well.

edit: Touched up/colorized the Flicker one.
    edit2: And done the same for Tales too.
    Aha, yeah, it's for Tales' secret project.

Your pics look good! The Flicker one does a good job of showing her sense of adventure. Very interesting looking cavern on the right there.

Day 149. Fixed some things on Flicker (eyes, the streak in her hair), redid the latern fire (hope it looks okay), and changed the butterfly to make it a little more interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm quite liking the way it looks now. I'm thinking of adding a shadow and some shading, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm tempted to say that it's done.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

16. - Top - End - #886
    Dwarf in the Playground

Posting here is much more interesting when there are others participating as well, so I hope you do well and return to your normal activity level soon.
    Sadly I'm not in a university anymore, still trying to claw myself into grad school. But I do work in public education so the finals schedule effects me, not as a real teacher or anything though.
    I only have two more weeks to go till summer! Then it's over for me. No more students, no more teachers bossing around grunts like me, school is closed!
    Then it'll just be drawing, modding and studying.
    Truly the things that define my life.

He was, actually. Verbally, or the Skype-chat equivalent thereof.
    So, I guess I shouldn't be posting the other image he requested...
    I'm just taking an opportunity to practice poses, and he's providing it.
    Now I'm curious on the other image...
    As long as it's not *too* much, you should post it.

And the last one is actually pretty good! It needs some more defined lines and less messy colors on the foreground characters, but even as-is it's pretty neat. I like it.
    I revisted the concept and started over again! Funny that the spur of the moment ideas are the ones that more engaging.

New drawing for today, the two OCs (mine and the other guy's) sharing a table, some smoothies, and life stories. It's a small sketch I made as a guide to make a larger version.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you can offer suggestions on a better face expression for Southern Sky (you can likely imagine what Cherry Pop's story entails), I'll gladly hear it, because I'm currently at a loss.

edit/MergePost:Well, I seem to have fixed the expression on my own, I think it looks sort of appropriate now. And also redrawn it into proper size.
    Spoiler
    Show

Link
    I'm not actually upscaling, I suddenly find it easier to just redraw the whole thing using the small sketch as a guide. (Infinite canvas FTW!) That said, MyPaint seriously needs at least SOME editing tools. For instance, I want to nudge Cherry Pop closer to the table, and for that I suddenly need to save the whole thing as a transparent PNG, import it into Photoshop, edit, save as a transparent PNG there, load back, losing layers in the process. (though maybe I could just copypaste, that function still exists for some reason... but what with there being no way to move layers around, I wonder how well that works)
    You know, I really need to check out My Paint, I really like the pencily sketchy type stuff you put out with it. It's a real nice look.
    Your new ones you posted today also look good. I love the overhead look on the Tales one.
    I think you should try more dramatic shading and lighting on the cave scene one though, Lampwick's tool is a lantern. You could play a bit more with light and shadow to draw that out.

Thanks! I blame Diablo 3 for making it worse though.

Painful muscle spasms must suck :/
    I guess Diablo 3 is awesome then?

The spasms are rare and mostly my fault as I tend to sit in one position for hours when doing various computer tasks. It's painful, but over quickly. It's like a sudden painful reminder to go on a walk or something.

Day 149. Fixed some things on Flicker (eyes, the streak in her hair), redid the latern fire (hope it looks okay), and changed the butterfly to make it a little more interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm quite liking the way it looks now. I'm thinking of adding a shadow and some shading, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm tempted to say that it's done.
    I think you should try adding in a bit of shading and see how it looks. It does look very nice as is though, the colors are very similar to the type used in the show.

Day 59-60, Or "Fly by Tropius, see the world!"
    Spoiler
    Show

So I went back and redid the picture as I was still fueled by sufficient nostalgic, this time with a bit less laziness, same concept though. I did an all nighter as I didn't have to work today, so there's mistakes everywhere and sloppy lines. It's a work in progress.
    I changed the perspective to make it more interesting and this time around the OCs are actually the different colors. Need to think up cutiemarks. Gah I'm bad at that. Tropius still needs fluttering wings (do Topius's flap there wings like dragonflies or am I just insane?), the water need more detail light work, it's mostly just blobs of light now. The buildings need to have there thicker lines toned down a few notches. The hair and snakes need work on those ponies' heads. And general touch up. There is very dark shading on Pony Medusa and Sphinx's ears, for some reason. And of course, the line work needs adjusting and frivolous lines must be hunted down and destroyed.

It's odd, I planned that AJ pic for a long time, and yet now I'm stuck working on a spur of the moment concept. I guess this is the one I'll finish by the 1st. I still need to finish that AJ one though, I have yet to make a daytime scene I am happy with.
    My good am I mad though, obscure flying dinosaur pokemon? Monster Ponies? Sim City reference? The roadtrip comedy of the year? The sad part is that my *setting* brain is racking for a story behind the madness. No idea is too trite or stupid it seems. I need to go to bed.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-05-28 at 09:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

18. - Top - End - #888

Now I'm curious on the other image...
    As long as it's not *too* much, you should post it.
    Heh. Now, whether or not it's "too much" is an interestink metzaphysical qvestion. The best way to describe the thing that goes on with Cherry Pop now is a "creative challenge to concoct the most suggestive image that isn't actually explicit". Needless to say, I'm rather not very creative in that regard. We haven't yet thought up anything better than this image though, that wouldn't break the few rules we'd established for it. Meaning, nothing explicit, no "props" or apparel, just the character.

I'd post it, it's not really anything special, but so as not to chance needlessly attracting moderators for a trivial reason, I'll just tell you how to get to it. Take any image I've posted (or even my avatar) and substitute the filename in its URL for 260512_CherryPop2color.png. Much ado about nothing, I suppose, but since even that first Cherry Pop image I posted was deemed suggestive enough to politely ask me to remove it from my thread on Canterlot forums (and/or move it to the 18+ section they have), I'd rather take precautions.

(edit: I suddenly wonder how much these concerns are even warranted considering we've got naked people sketches here already, but oh well. Somebody look at it and tell me if I can just post it.)

edit2:New thing/experiment for today.
    I've tried to determine the size of the ponies in relation to a typical human. (i.e. ideal-proportion 180cm-high human) The chart's in the image too, but I'm including the thought process behind it for clarity, so you don't have to read my scribbles.
    Image, for screen stretchiness:
    Spoiler
    Show

Link and text:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

The first consideration was that the ponies would look best, to us, and would have the least trouble fitting in, if their heads were roughly the same size as human heads. Altering the show design slightly, so that the pony stands at a somewhat more believable 3.5 heads rather than 2.5, we still get a pony that's roughly the size of a large dog. Hm. Well, handy at least. Perfect for children. I guess they aren't called "My Little Ponies" for nothing.
    Then, Celestia I always for some reason saw as being roughly twice as high as the main characters, though it's largely inconsistent in the show. Sometimes her back is higher than the characters' heads, sometimes not... it's hard to tell, so I went with the "twice the height" notion, mostly because it allowed to put Celestia at a respectable 7 heads' height, quite enough to look into most humans' eyes, and to make them shield said eyes from her menacing horn.
    So, a typical human being put at 180cm (and a typical skull size being, appropriately, roughly 23cm), we get the sizes for the "common" ponies and Celestia. Specifically, 80-something centimeters for a pony, with some variation, and roughly double that for Celestia. Whatever the in-universe evidence to the contrary, this is currently my "headcanon".

(yes, I understand that Twilight there should technically be rather larger, if show proportions to Celestia are to be kept more faithfully, but that'd require altering proportions further towards realistic)
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-05-29 at 05:59 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

19. - Top - End - #889
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

I guess Diablo 3 is awesome then?

The spasms are rare and mostly my fault as I tend to sit in one position for hours when doing various computer tasks. It's painful, but over quickly. It's like a sudden painful reminder to go on a walk or something.

I think you should try adding in a bit of shading and see how it looks. It does look very nice as is though, the colors are very similar to the type used in the show.

Day 59-60, Or "Fly by Tropius, see the world!"
    -snip-
    Diablo 3 is pretty awesome, though I was mostly remarking on the fact that D3 is mostly controled by mouse, and constant clicking makes my fingers sore after a while.

Yowch. Try and get into the habit of getting up and walking around every once in a while. I find that I can never sit in the same position for very long, and I tend to pace when I'm thinking, so that helps me get my legs working.

On your Tropius pic, everything looks very dark to me. I know it's a night time scene, but brightening the city lights, and maybe adding some highlights to the far side of the ponies/tropius would help make things stand out a bit more.

Personally I think it could use a lot more work, but if it's done, it's done! At the very least it's one off the 10,000.
    Would you mind elaborating? What exactly is "a lot more work"?

I'd post it, it's not really anything special, but so as not to chance needlessly attracting moderators for a trivial reason, I'll just tell you how to get to it. Take any image I've posted (or even my avatar) and substitute the filename in its URL for 260512_CherryPop2color.png. Much ado about nothing, I suppose, but since even that first Cherry Pop image I posted was deemed suggestive enough to politely ask me to remove it from my thread on Canterlot forums (and/or move it to the 18+ section they have), I'd rather take precautions.

(edit: I suddenly wonder how much these concerns are even warranted considering we've got naked people sketches here already, but oh well. Somebody look at it and tell me if I can just post it.)
    I don't think it would be a problem to post it, as long as you label the spoiler. Canterlot mods are rather strict (overly so sometimes, if you ask me) because the site is open to all ages, and there are several younger users there. I recently got a warning for posting this comic, which I didn't think was suggestive at all, but contains mention of boobs. :/
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

21. - Top - End - #891

I don't think it would be a problem to post it, as long as you label the spoiler. Canterlot mods are rather strict (overly so sometimes, if you ask me) because the site is open to all ages, and there are several younger users there. I recently got a warning for posting this comic, which I didn't think was suggestive at all, but contains mention of boobs. :/
    Heh. That is indeed rather too strict.

Alright then, here you go. Like I said, nothing to get excited about.

Parental Advisory/Content Warning/OhGodsItsAPonyWithoutClothesOn:
    Spoiler
    Show

As much as I don't want to have expertise drawing suggestive poses, it's still useful in the long run. So, yeah. Anyone have an OC they want me to draw?

edit: New thing for today (in addition to the experiment in the previous post). Trying to find a good design for griffons in my style. This one is an OC called Kira Darkclaw.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using no references except for the eagle beak design. On second thought, might have paid attention to the leg design as well.

Speaking of the experiment above, how do you feel about relative pony/human sizes? Setting aside "what they're actually like", what would you find to be the most to your liking? The most comfortable to interact with, to have around, etc?
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-05-29 at 02:50 PM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

Day 150. It's... I dunno. I've shaded it, made it a little darker, more, uh, sunset-y, but I don't know. Either I've shaded it wrong, or done the shadows wrong or.... something. I'm sure it's something stupidly obvious that someone will point out to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

23. - Top - End - #893

Spoiler
    Show
    While the pose is very good, the expression doesn't seem quite sultry enough.

As much as I don't want to have expertise drawing suggestive poses, it's still useful in the long run. So, yeah. Anyone have an OC they want me to draw?
    Ooh, ooh, pick me!

edit: New thing for today (in addition to the experiment in the previous post). Trying to find a good design for griffons in my style. This one is an OC called Kira Darkclaw.
    Spoiler
    Show

Using no references except for the eagle beak design. On second thought, might have paid attention to the leg design as well.
    I feel like the legs are way too small and that throws the entire picture off.

Speaking of the experiment above, how do you feel about relative pony/human sizes? Setting aside "what they're actually like", what would you find to be the most to your liking? The most comfortable to interact with, to have around, etc?
    I feel like a normal pony should come up to about the middle of my chest, about a head shorter than Celestia in that picture. I wouldn't enjoy having to angle my head all the way down every time I wanted to talk to one.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

As much as I don't want to have expertise drawing suggestive poses, it's still useful in the long run. So, yeah.
    Always good to be able to characters in multiple, uhm, positions. 0-0*

Anyone have an OC they want me to draw?
    IN terms of Winkwink... MOre then willing maybe?

Just to make sure I'm not posting without bringing SOMETHING to the table-
    It's not drawing, but I have been trying reading stories out loud-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEOEEwsRzvM

25. - Top - End - #895
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896

To a layman, drawing and painting are interchangeable terms. I personally don't make the distinction except for physical works, where calling a real canvas-and-oil piece a "drawing" would be nigh insulting. In every other case, it's all drawing to me. :)

I could help you, but... those eyes scare me.

More seriously, it's rather too hard for me to describe how to shade something, especially since I myself am still learning how to properly do that. If you can put your imagination to it, just imagine the face as if it were real, and try seeing which areas would receive less or more light than others. I have neither the vocabulary nor the expertise to offer advice beyond that.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

27. - Top - End - #897
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898

Heh, yeah. That happens too. Though personally I prefer fighting with something to the bitter end rather than outright scrapping it, in most circumstances. The face wasn't too bad overall, so it could've been preserved.

There are many considerations for shading, but for the most part I just learn by experience and example. I also use cross-field experience, like the ambient occlusion I'd picked up from 3D modelling. Basically, the more a point of a surface is surrounded by opaque objects, the darker it's going to be. It's sort of hard to explain and examplify, for me at least. I don't even have any tutorial links handy. Maybe Thanqol will pop back in with some.

---------
    New thing today, re-rendition of Kira Darkclaw, in mostly pencil.
    (Image is screen-stretching, so Link)
    If this rate of canvas expansion keeps up, I'll end up in quintuple-digit resolution numbers by autumn. But detail is improving. :D
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

29. - Top - End - #899
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know, it just has a sloppiness and a... sparseness about it that I can't put a finger to! But, with regards to things I can put a finger to, I think the figure (or at least the legs!) can be redone a bit to conform better with the implied slope of the path (or the path and bits of the background can be redone).
    Sloppy? I think I get what you mean about sparseness; I guess I could have done a bit more in the background. I think I get what you mean about implied slope. You're saying I should shorten the far legs, right?

Day 151. Didn't feel like working on the Flicker pic, so I did another human face.
    Spoiler
    Show

I think I made him look a little too fat and a little too sad. Sorry random guy whose picture I found somewhere on the internet!
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

Sweet Celestia, this quotepost got out of hand on me!

Day 150. It's... I dunno. I've shaded it, made it a little darker, more, uh, sunset-y, but I don't know. Either I've shaded it wrong, or done the shadows wrong or.... something. I'm sure it's something stupidly obvious that someone will point out to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mmm, one issue seems to be that although your light source (the setting sun) is more or less directly behind the figure, the shading suggests light from the upper left of the picture. There probably should be some crest highlights, but you might need to move them around some, if that makes sense.

I feel like a normal pony should come up to about the middle of my chest, about a head shorter than Celestia in that picture. I wouldn't enjoy having to angle my head all the way down every time I wanted to talk to one.
    I'm going to second something like this, I think. Something in the size range of slightly smaller than a (mid-sized) Shetland, perhaps?

Could someone here point out the... blocks... the areas where I need to put dark and light to achieve some definition?

Spoiler
    Show

33 minutes and it's a stumbling block. I have no grasp of lighting! :<

edit: haha I was going to edit this out because I just realized that this is a drawing thread, but I read the OP and apparently paintings are legit too
    Hmm, I don't really get a feeling that you have a defined light source in the picture. First thing to do is work that out, then try and decide how that light will fall on the shapes of the face.

In that regard, I found this tutorial somewhat enlightening.

Also, yeah, this thread is really for any sort of visual art you choose; mostly the interest has been in drawing and coloring, but certainly painting would be welcome too.

New thing today, re-rendition of Kira Darkclaw, in mostly pencil.
    (Image is screen-stretching, so Link)
    If this rate of canvas expansion keeps up, I'll end up in quintuple-digit resolution numbers by autumn. But detail is improving. :D
    Oh yeah, I think this is a much stronger design, between the more interesting pose/angle, and the re-worked body.

Sloppy? I think I get what you mean about sparseness; I guess I could have done a bit more in the background. I think I get what you mean about implied slope. You're saying I should shorten the far legs, right?

Day 151. Didn't feel like working on the Flicker pic, so I did another human face.
    Spoiler
    Show

I think I made him look a little too fat and a little too sad. Sorry random guy whose picture I found somewhere on the internet!
    Still seeing improvement in these; keep it up! A couple suggestions: 1.) Look for some higher-quality (and larger) images; if your photo is blurry, the finished drawing will be iffy too, because you're stuck making so much up to fill in the gaps. 2.) A whole lot of the face (and body forms as well) is defined not just by lines, but by light and shadow; try to find some references with a good, strong light source and then use shading to help tell the story the lines are working toward.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!