New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

I hope people are still here. Looks like the art boards move slower than others.

Thanks for the help with the tech priest before; it still doesn't look quite right with saturation, but I'm trying to break my perfectionism a bit, so I'm leaving it (for now).

Next up: Curses Thanqol, look what you've made me do!

Day 1:

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Ugh, it seems to turn itself sideways when posted here, and doesn't seem to want to turn back.

Time: around 45 min.
    Music: Pony

I got a sketchbook today. A very small one, and it came with this loose pink sheet, on which I did a sketch of one of those wooden model things, and a flower, and a bunch of lines. For reference here is the statuette:
    Spoiler
    Show

The lines were me trying to get used to the new grip, but adjusting wasn't all that hard (though I did catch myself going back to a scribe grip occasionally). I don't seem to be able to draw a straight line horizontally with it, but that's what practice is for!

I hope to be able to keep this up, but I know there will be days when I won't be able to post (because of travel, etc.), so I didn't start my own thread. Hopefully I can still draw then though (and hopefully I don't run out of ideas).

As for providing some feedback on other's works, I'm no artist, but Sean Mirrsen, the dude in your picture looks to be missing a right shoulder (his arm looks to have been dislocated and is just hanging there). Also his shorts seem to have been starched rather badly, they are sticking straight out (I think I also see a missing fold of fabric). Looks nice though.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-06-26 at 04:04 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    I hope people are still here. Looks like the art boards move slower than others.
    Well, this thread moves slow sometimes. Then it has a bustle of activity, then it dies done again etc. I think it has more to do with how much time people have or how much inspiration they feel.

Day 1:

*snip*

I hope to be able to keep this up, but I know there will be days when I won't be able to post (because of travel, etc.), so I didn't start my own thread. Hopefully I can still draw then though (and hopefully I don't run out of ideas).
    I'm envious. I need to get one of those wooden mannequin thingies.
    It looks alright, I can't really say much on the line work as I can't draw a straight line either. It doesn't hurt so much when making organic stuff, but really bites me with mechanical things and architecture.
    The mannequin seems to have a larger head in real life, but that could just be the position of the camera.

I hope you can post more! Give this thread some life.

As for providing some feedback on other's works, I'm no artist...
    And, it should be noted, I don't think anyone in this thread has come forward and stated they have had a traditional education in the arts (I may have missed someone...), so no worries on that front!

Day 78 & 79, or "Coloring Misadventures!"

Spoiler
    Show

More coloring practice! Yay! This is the reason why I fight!
    Alright, yesterday I drew a heroic medieval heroine with a grownish Peppy Longstockingish build. I dunno. She fights highwaymen and dashing rouges at night as a mysterious heroine, while spending the day as a gangly milkmaid at a local farm(!).
    Action! Suspense! Drama!
    Anyway, I needed to get rid of my armor fascination. Her right hand seems to have entered a pocket dimension and the helmet and chin doesn't line up very nicely unless she likes to wear her helmet slightly crooked.

Today I was busy so I drew a quick and messy Samurai-Equestria Scoot, in a (playful?) fighting stance. The stance is gimped, even for marshmallow pony-anthro type thingy. The shading is messed up around the neckline and around her right leg and robe. And the less said about the robe around her hands and arms, the better. But I ran out of time, so it is what it is. Put it away and start again tomorrow.
    I'll do better for you tomorrow Scoots, I promise! *runs off crying*

What I learned:
    I kept practicing my coloring and stuff, but my shading could be darker. For the Scoot I found a method for cleaner shading that fit my messy penmanship so yeah for that. I just use the smudge tool and just slowly dab the shading out till were I want it.
    I forgot to mention before but I have also started to do light cross stitching(?) type stuff to in the shadows of the figures. I find it looks good for cloth sometimes.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-06-27 at 12:31 AM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Colossus in the Playground

Day 1:
    *Twirls moustache* Welcome to my house. Come in friendship, go in peace, and leave behind a little bit of the happiness you bring. Welcome aboard.

There's always ideas. If you're short, take requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Day 78 & 79, or "Coloring Misadventures!"
    I feel like the linework used for the mouth and nose is too thin on Scoots, and the sword dude's pantaloons make it look like he has no hips (might just be me). I also feel like there's a case for making Scoots' eyebrows a little thicker.

In regards to my own colouring, I'm currently trying to ween myself off the blur tool and possibly do some work with harder shadows. It's hard because I really like the blur effect but I don't want to be reliant on it.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I feel like the linework used for the mouth and nose is too thin on Scoots, and the sword dude's pantaloons make it look like he has no hips (might just be me). I also feel like there's a case for making Scoots' eyebrows a little thicker.
    She doesn't really have any hips, on account of being a young teenage type, I believe. That in mind, I think the proportions work.

Also pantaloons always look slightly ridiculous, so that's kind of working as intented.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a good idea with the mannequin, though I'm not sure if I want to get into lighting just yet. It was just the first thing I found on the shelf; I wanted to get a baseline for my ability (the last time I remember drawing anything was back in grade nine or ten for a school project, I doubt the intervening years have been kind to any skill I may have had).

Day 2:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just some doodles I drew on the commute to work, and during lunch. Was trying to see if drawing on the train is feasible; turns out it is as long as I can get one of the three seats per car that have armrests.
    Time: Around one hour
    Music: None and Pony

@flyingchicken: Assuming they are walking, RD's stride/pose is really awkward (I got up and walking like that, and though possible, I don't see why anyone would, even if you were leaning on someone else). Nitpicking, I think AJ's eyelashes should be a little shorter, but that is personal opinion. They look nice though

@Bakuel: Pantaloon girl seems to have bizarre legs, though it might be just the style. They honestly look more like pony legs to me (thinness notwithstanding), since the calf muscle has been put so high.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your right about Scoots, I should have touched it up!

In regards to my own colouring, I'm currently trying to ween myself off the blur tool and possibly do some work with harder shadows. It's hard because I really like the blur effect but I don't want to be reliant on it.
    I actually have never really used the blur/sharpen tool with shadows...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    She doesn't really have any hips, on account of being a young teenage type, I believe. That in mind, I think the proportions work.

Also pantaloons always look slightly ridiculous, so that's kind of working as intented.
    The Tiki Snakes is correct, as I said, I was going for a Pippi Longstocking build, a rather wiry figure rather then fuller womanly figure. She is supposed to be able to pass as a man though, so the disguise works! Yet, the design still in the transformative stage, she's of ambiguous age (13-18) and it shows in the height and so on. So the proportions are a bit off. It was more of a random idea of the evening type thing. To be spat out and thrown away after a good night's sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    To be honest I very much prefer the little thumbnail than the two whole figures; on those, I have nothing much else to say that I haven't said before.
    Yet, as I said in my post before the last, I'm still not too sure what exactly you are referring too. Color choice is off, yes, but how so? There are a dozen different ways the color choice can be off (and is off). I can only work on improving a few things at once as I can be a slow man at times, so please excuse me.
    Are you referring to contrast? Should my highlight colors be lighter, shading colors darker? Stop being so timid and get rid of the muggy smoggy effect by working on choosing bolder contrasting colors?
    Does the image on the right seem better then the one on the left?
    Mechanically done, but it's just an example.
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Or are you referring to something else other then the smoggy colors?

The idea was that they were walking, but she was stopped mid-stride for a hug, idk; I guess the fact that it's not immediately obvious is my fault. I see what you mean about the lashes, though, they are a bit too long.
    That body position does work if AJ suddenly hugged Dash from behind while she was walking and pulled her back on right foot midstride leaving the left up in the air. But Dash's arm position on AJ and expression looks too controlled and calm for the picture to be of a sudden action like that. You would think she would lower her right foot and re-balanced herself as she hugged her back rather then leaving it in the air.

@Bakuel: Pantaloon girl seems to have bizarre legs, though it might be just the style. They honestly look more like pony legs to me (thinness notwithstanding), since the calf muscle has been put so high.
    I see what you mean. Stylistic abstractions aside, I did put the thigh muscles too high.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-06-27 at 09:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    The druid droid is correct, as I said, I was going for a Peppy Longstocking build, a rather wiry figure rather then fuller womanly figure. She is supposed to be able to pass as a man though, so the disguise works! Yet, the design still in the transformative stage, she's of ambiguous age (13-18) and it shows in the height and so on. So the proportions are a bit off. It was more of a random idea of the evening type thing. To be spat out and thrown away after a good night's sleep.
    Druid Droid, huh? Uh...
    Also, you mean Pippi Longstocking, right?

10. - Top - End - #970
    Troll in the Playground

Druid Droid, huh? Uh...
    I'm in ur thread

Stealin' ur credit
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

11. - Top - End - #971
    Dwarf in the Playground

Druid Droid, huh? Uh...
    Heh! Sorry! Tiki Snakes was correct! You are correct!
    For some odd reason, mentally I saw the_druid_droid's old avatar instead of yours....
    I swear the droid was there! He's always there, watching!

Truth that I shouldn't post in odd sleep deprived states.

And yeah, Pippi! Ever since I was a wee and ignorant babe I always got that wrong. Because Pippi has pep. Which is like Peppy.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Troll in the Playground

It's not actually drawing, it's vectors, but I did this avatar for Aquatic Week.

It's not much, I just felt like letting people know I'm still lurking and still kinda arting, though I can confirm that I have dropped the once a day thing for now (174 days is my score), but will attempt to pick it up again, probably after I get back from Bronycon.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 3:

Attack of the box people.
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: Maybe an hour or so
    Music: None

The proportions are off in several, you can maybe see some arrows where I've marked that for myself. I quite like drawing people as boxes; it seems harder to get that three dimensionalness with rounded shapes and no shading.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-06-28 at 01:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, today I discovered both vectors and Inkscape. I love both.

Here's Balmas for Marine week!
    Spoiler
    Show

Call upon this seapony. See how far that will get you.

I'm not entierly satisfied with the tail, since I used probably too many nodes and had to tweak it a lot.

Still, not bad for a first digital drawing.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-06-28 at 11:07 PM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

15. - Top - End - #975
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    So, today I discovered both vectors and Inkscape. I love both.

Here's Balmas for Marine week!
    Spoiler
    Show

Call upon this seapony. See how far that will get you.

I'm not entierly satisfied with the tail, since I used probably too many nodes and had to tweak it a lot.

Still, not bad for a first digital drawing.
    Looks great. I like Inkscape too.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 4:

Some more box men, a balloon man, my pocketknife, and because people keep saying its marine week or something, a sea pony.
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: an hour
    Music: Shooo Pi Do, Shoo Shoo Pi Do (that sea pony song, not the whole time luckily)

EDIT to avoid double post:

Day 5:

Drawing of a model of a 1934 Dusenburg. Has some distortion issues, but I think that is something only practice can solve.
    Spoiler
    Show

Time: hour and a half
    Music: None again
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-06-30 at 04:42 AM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Some pony doodles I did while watching the Lost series finale:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whoa, what's up with her hair? (Human AJ in the bottom right)

19. - Top - End - #979
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 6:

Figure 410 from Gray's Anatomy, and a maple leaf (Happy Canada Day everyone).
    Spoiler
    Show
    I also tried writing with my drawing grip, as you can see it came out quite curvy.

Time: an hour and a bit
    Music: Bronycon VA panel and Double Rainboom panel

21. - Top - End - #981

Thanks for the feedback on my previous sketch, I did notice the proportion problems after the fact, but didn't think a redrawing to be necessary. Besides, that was after I'd already shown the pic to the recipient, so it was sort of late anyway. :P

Two more things I've drawn recently. One for a member of our Ponythread Skype group named ShadowOfTheSun, whose forum handle I never got around to ascertaining.
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

The other, for/of our good friend Tectonic Robot.
    Spoiler
    Show

Link
    (depicted as a Teutonic Robot, because I like the concept and don't quite have an idea of how to draw a Tectonic Robot :) )
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

22. - Top - End - #982
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm guessing they were blue because I did them in the middle of the day, and the pictures were therefore taken in diffuse natural light from the window, instead of today's and day one's which were taken in direct artificial light. I upped the contrast a bit on this one too, so hopefully it helps. If you really think they need it I can probably colour correct them.

Day 7:

First time drawing ponies. Faces were the hard part on this one, the only ones I think are halfway decent are Rarity and TS. Otherwise, the rest was quite a bit easier than I expected (especially Pinkie Pie's mane, was probably the easiest part of the whole drawing).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reference, hugs not included.

Time: two hours

And now I should sleep, I was late for work this morning, falling asleep after I turned off my alarm.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-02 at 03:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

25. - Top - End - #985

Because I like to participate in things/show off mai limited arteest skillz for critique/opinions. >.>
    Original Doodle:
    Spoiler
    Show

Add some Inkscape and Voila!:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

@Gnomish: I really think you did a good job on the hands. Issues I can see are: his left shoulder seems to extend a little too far, and compared to the rest, the head looks a little too 2D (don't ask me how to fix it though), and could maybe do with some cleaner lines IMHO.

@flyingchicken: I really don't have too much to say besides making it less smudgy, which you already know. If I really have to find other flaws, I would say the head and hair are off in alignment by a few degrees, but that is really, really, nitpicking.

Anyhoo

Day 8:

This time, we have figure 424 from Gray's, the tendons in the back of the hand. The thumb turned out a little long. Also a quick sketch of a pony outline, to see if I could do it from memory after yesterday.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: and hour and a bit
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-03 at 03:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, well the hair now looks like a solid blob, I think showing more strands like in the RD one would work well. One eye ends pointier than the other, and one is taller than the other, fixing that might help make it look less like the eyes are at a different angle from the rest of the face. Otherwise, I like the colour, though as was proven before it is not an area which I know much about.

--------

Day 9:

Some noses today, and a quick re-sketch of the hand to see if I could draw something vaguely like one in a minute.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: little over half an hour
    Music: Ponies

29. - Top - End - #989
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #990

@ FlyingChicken and MadCaster: Thank you both for the words! I will definitely take the advice to heart, I'm still trying to get up to a competent point in my artistry. As for the hands, that was all Inkscape magic (as the actual sketch shows), I'm terrible at hands. And yeah, line weight >.> I am so bad at line weight. You both have lots more skill than I do.

Working on a catfolk in Photoshop, it's... slow going.
    Original Sketch with [badly-done] fur texture:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I have now, still WIP:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread