New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Eh, I think some of those hands look pretty good, though others could use some work. I think flyingchicken's method would work best for cartoon hands, from my recent and limited experience, they are more square shaped, with lots of little rectangles for all the carpals (if I have to break them into geometric primitives, which I have never tried). I'm guessing its just one of the things that needs practice. I know doing the Gray's sketch of the hand (Day 8) really helped me.

Also, never take the grass pokemon. Water is best. (IMHO)

----

Day 17:

A man, looking at a gem (I know his hands are tiny, head is warped, and I haven't practiced drawing mouths yet, so all he gets is a line), BBBFF style, two pony views without reference (to see if I could do them okish) and the new EQD banner (as of something like an hour ago I think).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: maybe an hourish
    Music: Pony.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-12 at 01:56 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks for the hand advice, I just need to practice more. I'm so lazy x.x

@fc You are too good of an artist, do you make comics? The pokemon thing was funny.

Robot kitty I drew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 18:

Luna and Nightmare moon; and idea for a picture I had. If I ever find the time to tinker with photoshop again I might do the full thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: only 30 minutes
    Music: Pony

Also, as a point of interest, does anyone know if there is a rule to if the body or leg lines go in front for the rear leg of a pony? I've seen it done both ways, even with the same pony in the same pose, so I'm guessing its personal choice.

----

Day 19:

Figure 439 from Gray's (deep muscles of the back of the leg), as well as some quick things to see if I could get some 3Dness. The chair I think is alright, but the rounded shapes I have trouble with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: No idea, on an off
    Music: None
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-14 at 03:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

Getting back in the groove. Sketched out a title image for Raz Fox's fanfic, Misted Stage.

Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy was inked yesterday, based on a pencil drawing I did a while back. The rest are just for a rough layout. I'm hopefully going to get some feedback from Raz about costumes and things before I finalise.

Not too happy about Trixie's pose. Especially the back legs. I lways have trouble with them when the pony is sitting. The layout might look better with her standing anyway. Also not too sure about Braeburn's pose with the hoof on his chest. Not sure it works for him.

Basically this is just me trying to get the hang of just sketching and roughing things out; something I simply don't do enough.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

Braeburn in a fez? Oh my...

IMO think the smoke line should be cleaned up to nice curves. Right now it gets thinner and thicker, which smoke doesn't really do.

As for the back legs, the trick is they go forward, back and forward again. From your skeleton line there, it doesn't look like you are doing that.
    Example from an avatar I was making (until it got done by someone else first):
    Spoiler
    Show

Or this exapmle.

I think it looks pretty good though.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Getting back in the groove. Sketched out a title image for Raz Fox's fanfic, Misted Stage.

Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy was inked yesterday, based on a pencil drawing I did a while back. The rest are just for a rough layout. I'm hopefully going to get some feedback from Raz about costumes and things before I finalise.

Not too happy about Trixie's pose. Especially the back legs. I lways have trouble with them when the pony is sitting. The layout might look better with her standing anyway. Also not too sure about Braeburn's pose with the hoof on his chest. Not sure it works for him.

Basically this is just me trying to get the hang of just sketching and roughing things out; something I simply don't do enough.
    Glad you're back into it!

I can't add anything Madcrafter hasn't already said though...
    But your picture has made me want to go check the fanfic out, so it's doing it's job.

I did! I had a great time! Here are my pics in case anyone wants to see. Note the pic of me with Lauren Faust. (will never stop linking that)
    On a somewhat related note, these past few days I have had a strange craving for jelly.

A-84 and A-85, or "I ain't got nothing"

Spoiler
    Show
    For the past few days I have a had a splitting headache, which took a toll on the art things. I did finish a rough for a picture I had lying around though.

A-84
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

It is Ado and Adeline, from Kirby. Don't judge me, this is serious business!
    Anyway, they are two artist bosses who have the power to make whatever they draw come to life. I don't know, for the longest time I wanted to have them painting each other and this was the end result.
    Granted, Adeline is painting Ado and Ado is coming from the picture and painting Adeline. But then again, from Ado's point of view he just finished painting Adeline, finishing up with the blush. Maybe the painting has the memories of a whole life already implanted in their head. And I don't know what happens when they paint scenery. Does the whole landscape come to life? Is there a whole new reality in there?

Stupidity aside, the characters are simple so there really isn't that much to see in this picture. I wanted to paint sloppy ocean water again so I ran with that for the background.
    So yay for headache induced drawings made while watching old Tom Baker Dr.Who episodes!

A-85,

Today my head pains lifted, and I felt like I could draw anything. But as soon as I picked up the wacom pen that feeling disappeared.

Spoiler
    Show

Link

It's a Twilight head! Eating lettuce. Still hungry. Experimented with a larger brush for lazy linework.

EDIT:

A-86, or "I read something worth reading",

Spoiler
    Show
    So I was reading Thanqol's fanfic, "Do Not Serve These Ponies" and I got an image in my head. And I made a doodle.
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

A rather bad doodle, but it was quick. Her face is off. And I'm not sure how on those window dimensions. So that's wrong too. Spur of the moment doodle is spur of the moment.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-07-15 at 04:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the Ado and Adeline, even if I never played any Kirby games where they appear. The water especially.

----

Day 20:

I went to an end of year art presentation at my second cousin's university in Hamburg yesterday. Lots of neat stuff there, and I took a photo of one that I particularly liked. So I decided that I would try drawing it out myself. It's in ten panels, and I figured I could do one in a day when I felt like it, until I finished all ten.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: About and hour

The original is done in coloured paint, which I found hard to replicate with monochrome pencil. Seeing as the entire scene was supposed to be very dark around the edges as well, I tried smudging the shading with my finger (something I remember doing in elementary school), and I think it worked out all right (different than line shading, which I didn't think would serve me too well in this case).
    The telephone booth is sitting in a pool of water (without colour I don't think it distinguishes very well with only the very mild reflection) in a swamp like area, very gloomy. It should be tilted a bit as well, but ended up distorted instead.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Braeburn in a fez? Oh my...

IMO think the smoke line should be cleaned up to nice curves. Right now it gets thinner and thicker, which smoke doesn't really do.

As for the back legs, the trick is they go forward, back and forward again. From your skeleton line there, it doesn't look like you are doing that.
    Example from an avatar I was making (until it got done by someone else first):
    Spoiler
    Show

Or this exapmle.

I think it looks pretty good though.
    Ahh, yeah, I see where I went wrong. Thanks for the reference. Kinda embarrassed because I've done that pose before so I figured I could do it from memory.

I'll look up some smoke pictures to try and get the hang of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Glad you're back into it!

I can't add anything Madcrafter hasn't already said though...
    But your picture has made me want to go check the fanfic out, so it's doing it's job.
    Haha, excellent! And thank you.

This is Misted Stage.

On a somewhat related note, these past few days I have had a strange craving for jelly.
    I've heard that a lot lately

A-84 and A-85, or "I ain't got nothing"
    Haha, the Adeline & Ado picture is cute, though I don't know what Kirby game they are from. Liking the water effects.

I've been meaning to read that for ages now.

Today I did a new avatar for Desert Week, coming at the beginning of August.

I'll just post a link to the post I made in the avatar thread for the explanation. So much easier.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

What are these theme week things?

Day 21:

Second panel of the ten. The back wall is supposed to be weird like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Probably about 45 minutes

----

Day 22:

Dwarf paladin. I got distracted when I started drawing at 8ish, and suddenly it was ten thirty, so I actually didn't get much done. So much to do, so little time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: probably 30 minutes
    Music:Pony

----

Day 23:

The third panel of the ten.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: About an hour
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-18 at 11:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

What are these theme week things?
    Some of the users on this board have avatar theme weeks, roughly once per month. During that time, they all change their avatars to suit the theme. This week it's Desert Week. Last time was Aquatic Week, and before that it was Masquerade Week.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Troll in the Playground

I drew a pony a while back. It was sort of copying one I made in the Creator, but not ctrl+v copying. Just following the general shapes.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ogre in the Playground

@Cuthalion: The white hair on the front of the body looks kind of strange. I'm unsure if it is mane or actual coat, in both cases it is odd. If you are going for show-likeness, the wings are a little large IMO (he's not an alicorn), and the legs are a little wonky (the tail might be out of position too). Oh, and he doesn't have a cutie mark, though maybe he is still young.
    Not to say it isn't decent.

----

Day 24:

Haven't drawn ponies in a while (five days to be exact), so here is RD surprising Fluttershy. I found this one was quite fun to draw.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour?
    Music: None, Mathematica eats all the processing power (all my cores are belong to it).
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-19 at 02:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Dwarf in the Playground

For some odd reason or another, my enthusiasm and zest for drawing has returned in full strength for the first time in a few months. So I have been drawing a lot, but need to work on posting more. Can't say my art has improved of course. There is just more of it. Most of it of the weirder doodle concept variety, but with plenty of pony type of things. So yay?

I like the Ado and Adeline, even if I never played any Kirby games where they appear. The water especially.
    Haha, the Adeline & Ado picture is cute, though I don't know what Kirby game they are from. Liking the water effects.
    The thousand sloppy pen strokes water effect was a success(!)
    Seriousily though, thanks! I'm glad it actually ended up looking ok.

As a side note, for some odd reason or another, I had been mentally dreading doing that picture. But when I sat down and did it, it was actually pretty fun. Now if only I could do the same for that blasted AJ pic.

Thank ye for the link, I have been reading it. So far, it's pretty good!

Today I did a new avatar for Desert Week, coming at the beginning of August.

I'll just post a link to the post I made in the avatar thread for the explanation. So much easier.
    Some of the users on this board have avatar theme weeks, roughly once per month. During that time, they all change their avatars to suit the theme. This week it's Desert Week. Last time was Aquatic Week, and before that it was Masquerade Week.
    I want to take part in this...

*snip*
    (Day 21-23)
    I like the look of that gentleman in 21 and 23. But the shading on the figure in day 21 looks a little odd, it could be more uniform. For instance, between his hand and leg the clothing on his coat is light, when it should probably be darker like the shadow above it. Not that I'm one to talk when it comes to shading... And shading in traditional is a lot harder then digital, so hats off to you.

Day 24:

Haven't drawn ponies in a while (five days to be exact), so here is RD surprising Fluttershy. I found this one was quite fun to draw.
    *snip*
    Time: An hour?
    Music: None, Mathematica eats all the processing power (all my cores are belong to it).
    I like Fluttershy's expression! However, her legs, especially her front legs, look like they could be thicker. And maybe a bit taller height wise.

Now onward to doodles and ramblings!

A 86-90, or "Color ALL the doodles!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically for the past 4 days I've been just doodling out silly concepts and then coloring them. I went through two major concepts. These are doodles so they are on the smaller side. But I linked them all anyway just in case someone has a *really* bad connection.

But before we get to that, here's a random Qing warrior(!),

Spoiler
    Show

Link

Yay...
    Now that that's out of the way,

The first concept was about a random pony. I pegged her as a rich sickly weak pony with the voice of a croaking toad and a whooping cough.

Spoiler
    Show
    First sketch,
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Because of a certain picture I saw in the ponythread, I couldn't get the idea of ponies wearing various dresses out of my head. This maidish pony is the first.

Second, or "Your turning into an abomination, sorry about that."
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Then I developed the concept further and though I love the hair shading on the first more, I like this one's dress better. Besides the hair, I like the shading on this one.
    Same character, just a normal pony now.
    Also a new character! I figured, if she's sickly then she needs a doctor. And both diamond dogs and mad medical doctors are always underappreciated. So I threw them together. And besides, I'm sure we've all heard this from a doctor.

Moving right along.

Third stab,

Spoiler
    Show

Link

And finally, sickly pony finally as an ascended alicorn abomination. Finally she gained the strength she dreamed of all her life. Sadly, she had to be put down by a random traveling band of adventurers.
    There have been a lot of alicorn abominations. A dime a dozen, poor dears don't have that much creative market value anymore. But I needed to make one, if only because I love long pony limbs! Long four legged things hold a special place in my heart, if only because of little Nemo.
    Hmmmm... Maybe I should make them longer the next time I take a stab at this... Ponies tripping over their own legs, twirling around random objects. Now there's a thought!

Ponies in the Outer Rim!

Spoiler
    Show

CMC SPICE SMUGGLERS!
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Just what it says on the tin.
    The driving creative edge in this one was actually antro-ponies in boots. Since their legs are just warped cylinders, the boots are just black tubes. But I found the idea inherently amusing so there it is.
    This one has a lot of antrho-pony anatomy issues. May as well pretend that anatomy doesn't exist when viewing this one and go from there. And those are some pretty bad pony faces. This one was one of the first to be colored and shaded so it is the worst out of the lot.

Imperials, or "I want those pony smugglers... Alive. So they can be... properly disciplined."
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Celestia and Luna as Moffs. Revisting and developing the boot fascination. The shading on this one is pretty splotchy. Need to work on that.

More Pony Scoundrels, or "Rarity hates trash in the cockpit."
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Rarity and AJ as two unlikely partners. AJ's a down and dirty gunslinger while Rarity is a con-artist, gambler and faux-socialite! Together, they engage in illegal shipping. They probably mostly laze around on the ship and get on each others nerves while the CMC have to actual unload the shipments.

Rarity's hair is based off of her messed up hair in "Suited for Success". I always liked that one. I'm somewhat torn with AJ though, her hair is probably just hidden behind her hands and back, but short hair is actually a interesting variant. However, the less said about AJ's anatomy the better. It just looks somewhat off, legs and arms. I just doodled something and went with it. Should have found a reference photo.

Out of the bunch, I like this one's colors the most. And it has a background! Surely that's worth like, 2 points or so... Bringing the final score to like, 12.4 out of 26 maybe?

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Colossus in the Playground

EDIT:

Spoiler
    Show
    So I was reading Thanqol's fanfic, "Do Not Serve These Ponies" and I got an image in my head. And I made a doodle.
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

A rather bad doodle, but it was quick. Her face is off. And I'm not sure how on those window dimensions. So that's wrong too. Spur of the moment doodle is spur of the moment.
    Hee hee! Thank you

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

Mysterious Thanqol appears! Thanqol uses Thank. Thanqol got away!

Yeah, the legs were the hardest part of that drawing, which was strange because I never had much trouble with them before (though, I haven't done that many).

I quite like the star wars crossover ones, and the other ones too. Don't really have anything to criticize off the top of my head; maybe someone like flyingchicken will come to the rescue.

----

Day 25:

Just doodles today, as well as a bunch of pony legs (and a Bakuel forgery). All the lines were drawn super quick, so they were all very light; the picture wasn't very good and I put it through two contrast filters in PS to be able to see them. (I took three shots, and they were all like this; usually the lines are at least in somewhat better focus).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes maybe
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-20 at 01:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

...But there is a comic right there, so you do do comics.

And why does Discord have to be an old man?

----

Day 26:

So I spent all today reading Fallout: Equestria, which I started sometime last April, and only manage to read in day long chunks roughly once a month. I ended up with no time at the end of the day (was having dinner with very distant non-blood relatives), so I drew some characters. (Also, if you have not already done so, I highly suggest you go read the story now, it is a fine work of fiction. Playing Fallout not required, though you'll get a lot more out of it if you have IMO).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-21 at 04:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Troll in the Playground

I want to take part in this...
    Then do so! If you don't want to do your own, people often will ask others for avatars. I'm sure some of them would love you to draw an avatar for them. Just go to the Desert Week thread in Friendly Banter and show 'em some examples of your work.

Yay...
    Now that that's out of the way,

The first concept was about a random pony. I pegged her as a rich sickly weak pony with the voice of a croaking toad and a whooping cough.

Spoiler
    Show
    First sketch,
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Because of a certain picture I saw in the ponythread, I couldn't get the idea of ponies wearing various dresses out of my head. This maidish pony is the first.

Second, or "Your turning into an abomination, sorry about that."
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Then I developed the concept further and though I love the hair shading on the first more, I like this one's dress better. Besides the hair, I like the shading on this one.
    Same character, just a normal pony now.
    Also a new character! I figured, if she's sickly then she needs a doctor. And both diamond dogs and mad medical doctors are always underappreciated. So I threw them together. And besides, I'm sure we've all heard this from a doctor.

Moving right along.

Third stab,

Spoiler
    Show

Link

And finally, sickly pony finally as an ascended alicorn abomination. Finally she gained the strength she dreamed of all her life. Sadly, she had to be put down by a random traveling band of adventurers.
    There have been a lot of alicorn abominations. A dime a dozen, poor dears don't have that much creative market value anymore. But I needed to make one, if only because I love long pony limbs! Long four legged things hold a special place in my heart, if only because of little Nemo.
    Hmmmm... Maybe I should make them longer the next time I take a stab at this... Ponies tripping over their own legs, twirling around random objects. Now there's a thought!
    First pic: Yay, cute!
    Second pic: Diamond Doctor? Haha!
    Third pic: :(

Ponies in the Outer Rim!

Spoiler
    Show

CMC SPICE SMUGGLERS!
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Just what it says on the tin.
    The driving creative edge in this one was actually antro-ponies in boots. Since their legs are just warped cylinders, the boots are just black tubes. But I found the idea inherently amusing so there it is.
    This one has a lot of antrho-pony anatomy issues. May as well pretend that anatomy doesn't exist when viewing this one and go from there. And those are some pretty bad pony faces. This one was one of the first to be colored and shaded so it is the worst out of the lot.

Imperials, or "I want those pony smugglers... Alive. So they can be... properly disciplined."
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Celestia and Luna as Moffs. Revisting and developing the boot fascination. The shading on this one is pretty splotchy. Need to work on that.

More Pony Scoundrels, or "Rarity hates trash in the cockpit."
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

Rarity and AJ as two unlikely partners. AJ's a down and dirty gunslinger while Rarity is a con-artist, gambler and faux-socialite! Together, they engage in illegal shipping. They probably mostly laze around on the ship and get on each others nerves while the CMC have to actual unload the shipments.

Rarity's hair is based off of her messed up hair in "Suited for Success". I always liked that one. I'm somewhat torn with AJ though, her hair is probably just hidden behind her hands and back, but short hair is actually a interesting variant. However, the less said about AJ's anatomy the better. It just looks somewhat off, legs and arms. I just doodled something and went with it. Should have found a reference photo.

Out of the bunch, I like this one's colors the most. And it has a background! Surely that's worth like, 2 points or so... Bringing the final score to like, 12.4 out of 26 maybe?

[/SPOILER]
    This stuff is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    Stuff I've done over the past week (big spoiler; use the Middle Click, Luke!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    pointless stupid comic thing

---

Trixie & Discord doodles

---

more Trixie

---

demonstrating how terrible I am at painting (digital and probably otherwise too) and pony posing

---

doodles

---

a lesser man would give up on painting at this point

---

digital chalk, needs more definition

---

Darth Solo and other Star Wars and non-Star Wars things:

I like Trixie's showgirl outfit

Also the coloured pic of her and the colour Pinkie are both very good.

-----

A quick update on the Misted Stage picture:
    Spoiler
    Show

Raz decided he wanted the cowboy hat instead of the fez. It's a pity, but he does look damn good in that hat. I also changed his expression from the toothy grin to a more reserved smile, simply because I thought it looked a little better.

Harem girl Derpy. The wing decorations were tricky to do.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Colossus in the Playground

I repay my debts in kind; have a samurai Fancy Pants sketch

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

@Thanqol: I don't think Fancy Pants should have all that stubble. He is a gentleman after all, no poor ronin. Also, if he doesn't look his best people might start thinking he is no longer best pony.

@Diego: Braeburn looks pretty good, except he seems to be suffering from a bad case of horizontal compression. Stretching him out to proper dimensions should fix him being too skinny, though his neck and right forehoof might need a little extra. His vest should close a little more in the front too.
    Derpy's expression/pose is a little strange, but the only thing I really think might be off is her neck being a little long (unless she is really stretching it).

----

Day 27:

Did some preliminary lighting experiments today, with the little wooden mannequin. The pencil I'm using can't do lighter shading, so unless I shade everything really dark I'll end up with really high contrast. Maybe I should start thinking about colouring via computer, if I ever draw anything worth adding colour to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Possibly 30 minutes
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-22 at 09:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ye gods, when was the last time I posted here?

Unfortunately, I can't really comment on anything meaningfully. Bakuel's drawings are consistently awesome, flyingchicken keeps making me wonder why he thinks he's doing bad at painting, and madcrafter keeps making good progress in his drawing practice.

Me, I keep using pencils to draw stuff for different people. Mostly for people in our Skype group and ponythread IRC.

Okay, so.. In chronological order,
    Character pic and scene for Tectonic Robot
    Spoiler
    Show

Link 1,Link 2

Characters and scene for Tectonic Robot and Maslab
    Spoiler
    Show

Link 1,Link 2

Kem, a griffon engineer OC for Athaniar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

DeMasque, an eccentric sort-of-thief OC, for someone known as Vinyl:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

Nightshade, a circus pony OC for monkeyboyinc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

FutashyFootashy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (it's fairly small, but Link)

More of the pony Mask☆DeMasque.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

Picture for the Ponythread Tumblr that seems to have a lot of difficulty being noticed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

More pictures of the Nightshade circus pony OC. First was deemed too out of character, so it had to be redrawn.
    Spoiler
    Show

Link 1, Link 2

And this... er, just IRC shenanigans. It'll take too long to explain.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

...You're damn good at this drawing business Sean Mirrsen. The ponies addition of the shading in your drawings makes the ponies more realistic looking. How long did they take on average?

Footashy is ... weird. And Sonic and Egg-dude (I don't know his name) as Asterix and Obelix is great.

That "good progress" sounds like damning praise though, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. I can't say I've seen my work get better so far. I think it would take longer (not being an artsy person at all).
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-22 at 12:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really like the backgrounds,
    Thanks!

Stuff I've done over the past week (big spoiler; use the Middle Click, Luke!):
    *snip*
    I like the colored Trixie! I must admit though, I like the colored sketch with the darker lines more then the finished one with the light lines. But that's more of a subjective thing.
    I'm starting to like the anthroponies with hands but with pony legs similar to a faun.
    Stupid sexy Trixie/pokemon...

First pic: Yay, cute!
    Second pic: Diamond Doctor? Haha!

This stuff is awesome!
    Thanks!
    As a side note, whenever I get over an art funk, I always end up spending my time on silly spur of the moment concepts and never get anything serious done. It's like a curse.

Third pic: :(
    I blame ponythread!
    Ummm.... *points to bottom of post* Have an apple as an apology?

A quick update on the Misted Stage picture:
    *snip*
    I have to admit, I find the idea of Derpy in a harem far more amusing then I should. It's coming along nicely, the only thing I have to add that Madcrafter didn't already say is that Derpy's iris and pupils are kinda off size wise. I think the pupils could be shrunk. But then again, I need to work on my own pony eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I repay my debts in kind; have a samurai Fancy Pants sketch
    Samurai Fancy! I like the stubble, it's as if he's been pushed to the utmost limits on some doomed campaign or defending his homeland.

You always repay your debts in kind... For some reason, my sleep deprived brain is reading that as a challenge. *reaches for drawing instrument*

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Ye gods, when was the last time I posted here?
    *snip*
    Your pony anatomy is better then ever! I need to work on that... And you should post more often.

@Sonic and Robotnik as Asterix and Obelix.
    This is awesome.

@Footashy,
    YES! YES! This is so wrong, but so very right. It's probably because I've been up all night, but I honestly can't stop giggling at it. This, good sir, is worth the internet.

*downloads*

Day 27:

Did some preliminary lighting experiments today, with the little wooden mannequin. The pencil I'm using can't do lighter shading, so unless I shade everything really dark I'll end up with really high contrast. Maybe I should start thinking about colouring via computer, if I ever draw anything worth adding colour to.*snip*
    On Day 25, yes! More star wars outer rim ponies!

On Day 27,

Take all this advice with a heap of salt and a spoon full of sugar! I'm not good at cross hatching myself you see.

Spoiler
    Show
    When shading with a pencil you should work on making all of the shadow lines even and going in the same direction.
    In some of these mannequins it looks like the lines are changing directions. The shadow lines in the head seem to follow the head, in the arms they follow the length of the arms .etc. If you're just starting out with cross hatching, it would probably be just better to choose one or two hatching methods and then sticking with them. For example, helpful random site found with google, using the 1/4 hatching method for lighter shadows and then 1/2 one for darker ones and then striving to keep the lines consistent for the whole mannequin. Another thing you could do is to very lightly box out the shadowed areas on the mannequin first, then cross hatch in the shadows. The shadow line is very distinctive and distracting in some of your sketches.

One other thing, when cross hatching you sometimes seem to zig zag with your pencil. Meaning you go one way and then, without lifting your pencil up, you drag it back down the other. This makes the cross hatch curvy and uneven. It may take longer, but it's always good to make each line separate for an even cross hatch.

A 91-93, or "Have an apple."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yesterday I woke up with a sudden urge to draw a barn. A old barn with weathered wood. And Applejack. 24 hours later, and a great many cups of extra dark coffee, this is the result.

Spoiler
    Show

Link

Anyway, I used a reduced palette of only red and yellow for this one. I used a yellow red grayish mix for the blue in the windows and a grayish yellow for grass. I'm pleased how it turned out, it being a spur of the moment thing. And I also found out a nice setting in gimp to mimic a pencil texture! So yay for that.
    Now that I did my red and yellow picture I don't have to finish that other AJ picture!

Now onward to doodles!

First off is a Samurai AJ and Big Mac.

Spoiler
    Show

Link

That's how AJ runs. Always. This is canon.
    I actually can't remember why I put her in that pose...
    The anatomy and shading is far off the mark. Yeah, botched this one. The light source is ambiguous and both AJ and Big Mac's left arms are too short. Maybe it runs in the family?

Next is another Ponies in the Outer Rim,

Spoiler
    Show

Link

Rarity and AJ, standing around, looking to the right. Yep. With guns.
    Shading is still off! Rarity's head looks a bit too long lengthwise. Actually, both are pretty bad pony heads. But making the lines for the cloak was fun. Even if it isn't accurate. It's a magic cloak. That's why it doesn't need the gold chain to stay on. Alright, I need to revisit this concept and do it right.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-07-22 at 08:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

I did do the lines on the mannequin in different directions, and really heavy too. More scribbling than actual crosshatching. As for crosshatching like in the link you had there, it is just something I never liked style wise. Though it can do a good job of representing shadows, I'd prefer to only ever use it on technical drawings personally.

@Bakuel: The apple seems kind of small, and one of the eyes looks to be larger than the other, or maybe they are just unfocused. The barn is definitely weathered, though I wonder what is holding it up? I don't see any nails about, and from the construction it obviously isn't all joined, so it should have some. It looks like its about to fall forward like a movie facade, but I have seen more decrepit buildings standing in real life, so no complaints there. I think you did really well on the colours and shadows.

Big Mac might need some indication he actually has another hoof to stand on too. Right now it looks like his front one is actually two, and the back one shouldn't be completely covered by AJ.

And the cloak could always be glued on. Do you really think they have room for graveyards in a galaxy spanning civilization?

@flyingchicken: Trixie looks like a bobblehead to me (with a really weird expression). I think the colours look decent, but if it were a real drawing I'd say it would look like an oil painting done with really thick pastels. I have no idea how to fix it though. IMO the colouring looks a little better in the doodles style wise; Pinkie Pie is a little red though.

----

Day 28:

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die (not really Bond). Got the idea to draw this, thought I might try some shading stuff. But I didn't; it took me long enough to do the drawing itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: About and hour.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Troll in the Playground

@Diego: Braeburn looks pretty good, except he seems to be suffering from a bad case of horizontal compression. Stretching him out to proper dimensions should fix him being too skinny, though his neck and right forehoof might need a little extra. His vest should close a little more in the front too.
    Really? You realise he's standing at an angle to the viewer, right? Okay, I know I seem to have a bad habit of this so I'll try and widen him and see how it looks.

Derpy's expression/pose is a little strange, but the only thing I really think might be off is her neck being a little long (unless she is really stretching it).
    Mmm, yeah I guess the neck is long. I'll fix that.

I blame ponythread!
    Ummm.... *points to bottom of post* Have an apple as an apology?
    Apology accepted. Don't let it happen again.

I have to admit, I find the idea of Derpy in a harem far more amusing then I should. It's coming along nicely, the only thing I have to add that Madcrafter didn't already say is that Derpy's iris and pupils are kinda off size wise. I think the pupils could be shrunk. But then again, I need to work on my own pony eyes.
    Yeah, maybe a little. I'll see what I can do.

The head's perspective is confused,
    In what way? I can't fix it if I don't know what you mean.

why is his iris so lizard-like,
    What? Again, please explain.

and his thigh looks stubby and fat.
    I don't see it. Honestly, this is sounding less like critique and more like insults.

Draw-over response:
    Spoiler
    Show

... I thought I had a coherent point, but then I realized I didn't so have some Derpy Doodles The eyes look wrong to me, and that's about it.
    The eyes again, huh? 'kay. Perhaps I'll just redo them from scratch. I like your Derpy doodles though.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Picture for the Ponythread Tumblr that seems to have a lot of difficulty being noticed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link
    I'm not sure how observant Strife Warzeal actually is. I'd PM him any completed ones directly, if I were you.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 29:

I thought to myself: Where do they have cross hatching in real life, so I don't have an excuse not to use it? And then it came to me: bills. So I drew the Queen from the Canadian 20 dollar bill. I rushed it a bit and so it's a little more messy and haphazard than I would like, but the general idea is still there. The main difficulty with this one is that the hatching is all distorted in the real image, in order to demonstrate facial features.
    For you non-canadians, the real bill is there for comparison, though her expression is different when you look at it from farther away. The fact I was looking at it too closely might also be why some of the transitions are so abrupt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour and a bit.

I don't know about my ability to upload anything while in London, so I might just have to do a large post when I get back. We'll see.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-24 at 09:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's been done before, though I can't find where I first saw it (I know where I saw it, but atm I'd rather not dig a 200+ page SA thread mocking dA--or was it the one mocking bronies? or the one about fanart? one of the three).
    Well ok, maybe it's not worth *the* internet. But, by bringing such a thing to my attention, I am in Sean's dept regardless. Maybe it's just worth my internet? *rips cable from wall*

Me too actually! This is one of the reasons why I think I ma bad at painting: I can't express what I want to express
    Some things I did to-day:
    *snip*
    As before, I'm still very unhappy with my painting, but... maybe it's improving, idk, I've been trying to mix up the hues, juxtapose light with dark, blend things a bit. Still looks like muddy ass though.
    Now take this with a heap of salt. In matter of fact, buy a salt mine if you can.
    Oddly enough, the color and light book I'm reading actually advises against *too* many hues/mixes and gradations between light and shadow as well as colors. Oh sure in real life there is a million different hues of light and dark, however, many beginners get bogged down. In real life, the transition is sometimes not so gradual and often pretty sudden. Even if there is a million hues, the color often goes through them quickly. Sometimes the lightening calls for very gradual murky blended colors, sometimes it doesn't. Especially with strong direct light such as a sunny day or a spot light on a stage. Granted, the book is leaning more toward realistic lightening for illustrations. But, have you considered less blending of the colors? Harder, darker shadows? In the Trixie one, she has a highlight like she's on a stage with a spotlight. If so, then shadow looks like it could be deeper and darker.
    But it all depends on what it is exactly you want from painting and how you imagine your art to be...

I did do the lines on the mannequin in different directions, and really heavy too. More scribbling than actual crosshatching. As for crosshatching like in the link you had there, it is just something I never liked style wise. Though it can do a good job of representing shadows, I'd prefer to only ever use it on technical drawings personally.
    Opps! It's becuase of those line exerices on you paper, I figured you were practicing cross-hatching! My deducation was wrong. (No surprises here.)

Speaking more as a devil's advocate for cross-hatching, (I can't say I enjoy cross-hatching or am skilled at it. Far, far from it.),
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mastery of it can actualy lead to very organic and beautiful monochrome pictures, like the pillows on this site. The basic cross-hatching is just that, basic boring technical cross-hatching. The reason why cross-hatching shading seems to be a mainstay on many art curriculum dealing with pencils and ink seems to be mainly because of two reasons. First it's a standard/classic. Secondly, because then your learning two skills at once. Not only are you gaining comprehensive knowledge, such as where shadows fall on a object, but also working on dexterity/muscle memory/hand eye movement, by making nice even straight lines or curves.

Having said that, whatever the shading/texturing method you end up choosing, smudging, cross-hatching, scribble, or what have you, the only true thing to watch is to make sure it's neat and even. With the darker spots being darker and the lighter spots light. Or else the shadows will turn out blotchy. Like mine.
    The texture on your spy's coat in Day 28 and the bill in 29 are great improvements on consistency over the last in this respect!

Apology accepted. Don't let it happen again.
    I'll try, but no promises!
    The noble trinity of creepy, cool and cute must be upheld, I can't just attempt one or two but ignore the other! That's like, leaving out a whole spectrum of excitement.
    Ok maybe not.

@Bakuel: The apple seems kind of small, and one of the eyes looks to be larger than the other, or maybe they are just unfocused. The barn is definitely weathered, though I wonder what is holding it up? I don't see any nails about, and from the construction it obviously isn't all joined, so it should have some. It looks like its about to fall forward like a movie facade, but I have seen more decrepit buildings standing in real life, so no complaints there. I think you did really well on the colours and shadows.
    Apple too small?! What's next? Extra large melons and cucumbers?! That's a perfectly realistic size for produce!

Stupidity aside, good point, I increased the size.
    In the show, the size of apples seem to vary. When there in AJ's basket, they are smaller. Yet when Pinkie Pie bites into one it's giant.

On the leaningness of the building, I could have made it lean more realistically, but I reserve the right to cartoon physics! I took some steps to minimize the lean a bit though.

Big Mac might need some indication he actually has another hoof to stand on too. Right now it looks like his front one is actually two, and the back one shouldn't be completely covered by AJ.

And the cloak could always be glued on. Do you really think they have room for graveyards in a galaxy spanning civilization?
    Forgot about Big Mac's other leg...
    I didn't think of glue... Maybe that's how they hold there guns too.

A-94, or "Shady business." (Yes I stole that phrase from Sean Mirrsen, no I'm not ashamed).
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

What I did (or rather, what I attempted):
    Followed Diego Havoc's advice for the Tropius nightime pic, but reversed it. Bright but flat image, get darker shadows. Once again it's all in the contrast between light and dark. Parts of AJ cast shadows on the barn, now it looks more like she's really there! Or at least it helps a little. Changed sunlight position so that the shadows work more.
    Added interior to barn, defined windows, all an attempt to get rid of the stage prop look. I wanted to give the windows the dirty dusty look. Success or just distracting?
    To help get rid of the leaning too much effect, changed direction of the sunlight so it casts a highlight line counter to the leaning barn. Also tweaked the perspective on the roof a tad. It still leans cartoony like, just a bit less noticeable.
    Detailed wood a bit more to make it more interesting, added nails and nots. Darkened groves a bit more.
    Added stone pathway to break the boringness of the ground a bit.

And of course, cleaned linework. Still dirty though! Sloppy art is sloppy.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-07-24 at 01:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Dwarf in the Playground

*probes thread*
    I said something moronic back there didn't I? I hate it when that happens. Don't let the thread die because of something stupid I said!

Anyway, time for this week's color monstrosity!

A- 95-99, or "Lost in Manehattan!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Link

A dark and cloudy attempt. A somewhat logical conclusion of a filly attempting to travel through Manehattan alone.
    Linework needs to be cleaned. Sloppy linework seems to follow me everywhere. I can't shake it. Cloudy colors need work, and perspective is odd. Actually the whole thing could be better.