New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Maybe it's because you misquoted the line? Mine was "Shady work".

Update on what I been up to:
    Picture of Nutmeg, were-timberwolf pegasus OC.
    Random alicat.
    In-progress WIP shot of several OCs (and Vinyl) being dressed up by Sweetie Belle.
    Spontaneous character pic for Topaz. (time inception to completion: ~30min)
    Gangsta cupid. IRC shenanigans.
    And some more pics that are either inconsequential or not supposed to be shared.

And Bakuel, I am consistently impressed by your ability to handle colors, shades, and textures. Whatever faults your linework does have, the combined effect with the coloring of the finished piece more than makes up for them.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-07-30 at 04:38 AM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

I have returned from the grand wastes of ... From the suburban dystopia that is ... From the fine city that is London. Not much going on here in the thread right now though.

I really like the Lost in Manehattan, the colours and stuff are quite good. (I also saw it got featured in a drawfriend, now that I am sorting through the masses of delayed content from EQD that I missed in my absence).

Sean Mirrsen is excellent as always. My only criticism is that you are giving the ponies human-like muscles (really buff ones too). Unless you are intending to anthropomorphise them like that, than you might want to give them more horse-like muscles, if any at all (depending on how realistic you want them to look). (As a side note, I saw an exhibit at the Natural History Museum while I was there that had, among other things, plastinated horses. It was really quite interesting to see how the muscles differ).

------

I continued my drawing while I was away, as well I should, and even picked up a shiny new sketchbook. So without further ado:

Day 30: A foot from Grey's Anatomy
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 31: Batman. I bet you can guess which movie I saw before drawing this one.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 32 & 33: Ended up being pretty busy these two days, so I just tried some shading of rounded objects, and miscellaneous other things.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 34: A skull. Besides the fact it turned out more like a child's head than a fully developed one, I quite like how this one turned out.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 35: More randoms. Phantom mask didn't turn out as good as the skull did; it is really hard to draw with only shading.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 36: Missed my return flight this morning so I had a long time in the terminal waiting (silly public transport not starting early enough). Drew part of the Heathrow departures lounge. Perspective is crazy, and a little inconsistent (when I started I didn't really think about doing any perspective, but that's how it turned out).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-07-31 at 12:48 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

3. - Top - End - #1053

You seem to be getting the hang of shading, Madcrafter, even if shapes and lines still need some work.

As for pony muscles, that's really intended, for what would be the upper skeleton at least. There is no way for real equines to have the sort of movement range they have on the show, with the way their bones and muscles are set up. They need a hybrid humanlike structure for their upper forelegs and neck, in order to be able to turn their shoulders and lower legs around like they do, and to be able to look around as they do. So, yes, quite intended. :)

Something else I cooked up, somewhat in the spirit of Olympics:
    Spoiler
    Show

Link
    The griffon's wings aren't bound, they're constrained - so they can be moved and pushed with, but not spread out to fly. They're also drawn a little wrong... >_> Neither the pony or the griffon are anyone in particular, just made up on the spot for the occasion.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

It would be interesting to see you try experimenting with less emphasis on the musculature, even though the style is entirely intentional.
    It does have a slightly uncanny feel to it. Especially around the neck, I think.

5. - Top - End - #1055

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    It would be interesting to see you try experimenting with less emphasis on the musculature, even though the style is entirely intentional.
    It does have a slightly uncanny feel to it. Especially around the neck, I think.
    Heh, and it looks odd to me without the lines on the neck. I've... no idea why, it just does. I'll certainly try to do without them, as an experiment, but without some sort of definition it looks... bland. Cartoony. The neck is an incredibly convoluted place, muscle-wise, because essentially it's one giant joint that rotates the head. The muscles would only cease to be visible in a relaxed state, half-forward, in the center of the motion range. Which, now that I look at it, would be exactly the case for that last picture. Oops.

I guess I should just stop using lines for them, and define them with shading at most.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the source media is a cartoon, and that's where the visual disconnect comes in probably. The fact that the necks you draw look a little on the human side just exaggerates that existing unexpectedness.

They also tend to end up more intricately detailed than the rest of the pony in a few of those pictures, which draws the eyes to it too. Compare the level of detail/visual information between the stomach/back leg of Olympic Wrestling Pony and the neck and front shoulders, for example.

There's no wrong way to do this, I'd just be intruiged to see you try a few different twists on your style, because you draw so very well.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 37:

Realized I had been dating my drawings January instead of July for the last five days. I must be tired. Not much today though, a toblerone, some ponies, an octavia.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes (really not a fast day today)
    Music: None.

EDIT: Looks like the artist training grounds are returning. Maybe I'll have to try that out.

Day 38:

Artist training grounds are here. Today's theme was "Draw an idle pony, or draw a pony idling." I call it Manehattan Traffic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour and a half.
    Music: Pony
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-02 at 01:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Troll in the Playground

Another artist training grounds, eh? I'll think about jumping in later. Your picture looks good, Madcrafter, keep it up!

For now, here's what I've been working on, off and on for the past week or so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

Black smoke rather than white misty smoke?
    I'm going to assume it's plotstoryline related, though it might be interesting to see a white-version.

Otherwise, I like.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it too, though Braeburn's nose looks a little large compared to the others.

----

Day 39:

Artist training grounds day two. "Draw a pony in motion/on the go"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Maybe 45 minutes
    Music: None

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Troll in the Playground

Black smoke rather than white misty smoke?
    I'm going to assume it's plotstoryline related, though it might be interesting to see a white-version.

Otherwise, I like.
    Glad you like it!

Hmm, I dunno, I guess I just saw black smoke in my mind's eye. I gave it a try with white smoke. See what you think.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, here are links to the large versions with black and white smoke. You'll noticed I blurred the smoke a little. Does it look right? At the time it seemed weird to have smoke with sharp edges, but now I'm wondering if I went too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    I like it too, though Braeburn's nose looks a little large compared to the others.
    I can live with that. Glad you like it though.

Day 39:

Artist training grounds day two. "Draw a pony in motion/on the go"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Maybe 45 minutes
    Hehe, what a wonderful expression
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Titan in the Playground

I think that personally, I prefer the white one. But then, it was me who suggested it, so it's hard to be sure I'm objective about it.

If you're not sure which one you prefer yourself, perhaps run it past the Raz? (Raz was the author, right?)

The fluffy effect is subtle and works fine, I think. Straight would probably have worked too, but probably not quite so much. Not without abstracting the clouds much more in a Windwaker style, at least.
    Again, just my take on the matter, though.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the white smoke better, but I think it makes the scene to bright overall. Since it looks (to me) to be a dusk/dawn scene, I might darken the sky and floor a bit more, or maybe make the smoke a little more gray. This is of course, my opinion only; asking the author is a good idea.

----

Day 40:

NATG theme was "Draw a pony with a prop; Draw a material pony." I of course took it literally.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-04 at 05:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Troll in the Playground

I think that personally, I prefer the white one. But then, it was me who suggested it, so it's hard to be sure I'm objective about it.

If you're not sure which one you prefer yourself, perhaps run it past the Raz? (Raz was the author, right?)

The fluffy effect is subtle and works fine, I think. Straight would probably have worked too, but probably not quite so much. Not without abstracting the clouds much more in a Windwaker style, at least.
    Again, just my take on the matter, though.
    Yeah it was Raz. I've shown him both, just waiting for feedback.

Edit:
    Found this image about shading, might be useful for some of you (it certainly is for me).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-08-04 at 03:34 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

Shading gif is interesting, though it might be better if it was a series of still images instead. Still useful though.

----

Day 41:

NATG prompt: "Draw a pony on a hilltop/Draw a pony at their peak." Interst piqued, Fluttershy decides to take a peek inside the cave at the peak of the mountain.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour maybe
    Music: None.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-05 at 03:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

All I can say is BEES!

----

Day 42:

NATG prompt: "Draw a pony as a filly or colt/Draw a tiny pony." The obvious response:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes maybe

As a side note, I finished the first game (of those that don't go on forever) I have ever finished on my steam account yesterday. I feel disheartened at how much time will be required to play the rest.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-06 at 01:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    Where are you getting all these prompts?
    The ATG!

*Flies away*

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed that is where they are from. The only thing I can say about flyinchicken's drawing in that the guy's lips look like they are going in instead of out to me. I assume his head is supposed to be misformed like that.

----

Day 43:

NATG prompt: "Draw a pony smiling or beaming/Draw a pony having a ball"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour

Getting Spock looking right was hard. I tried to make him not look so angry, but when all one has to work with are the shape of the eyes, I'm not surprised it didn't really work. They also don't have tails, but that can be chalked up to the viewing angle. (I also noticed I forgot a wing on Fluttershy two days ago. Little late to change that now).

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Barbarian in the Playground

This looks like the best thread ever.
    I don't know how to get pics from my iPod, which I post from, to the forum, so I'll use pics I tweeted.
    Here's Fluttershy.

EDIT: Here's the link, since the pic didn't show up in the preview. http://t.co/1uPDbSDI
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 44:

Simple and fast, 'cause I got home from work late and wanted to actually have time to do things. NATG prompt "Draw a pony facing conflict/Draw a pony locked in "grizzly" combat." Didn't go with any puns today, seeing as my idea would have taken forever.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 min
    Music: Some Pony.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Barbarian in the Playground

I made a Photobucket account today for easier picture sharing.
    Today's prompt: a pony facing conflict. I decided to draw what I thought Chancellor Puddinghead, Commander Hurricane, and Princess Platinum really looked like.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ogre in the Playground

Platinum and Hurricane look decent (Platinum's tail could maybe do with a bit of a touch up). But Puddinghead's face... that face...
    Also, you drew Hurricane as a stallion, which is interesting considering his/her gender is never specified.

----

Day 45:

NATG prompt: "Draw a Pony Trying Something New."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour and a bit.

Drawing Fluttershy from that angle was difficult, I couldn't figure out what to do with her mane/ears. Ended up alright in the end though, I think.

----

Day 46:

NATG: "Draw a pony dressed as or from your favorite video game, movie, or book/Draw a media pony." Had a hard time trying to find something to draw (characters from books would make for pretty ordinary ponies). Settled on Gangplank from LoL.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour roughly.
    Music: Pony.

----

Day 47:

My first time trying to take one of my drawings and recopy it with the computer. Turned out ok, but it might have been faster just to draw it in PS in the first place. NATG: "Draw a pony making a decision/Draw a pony waffling." Didn't go with any waffle references.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Roughly four hours.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-11 at 08:32 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Troll in the Playground

I like your pirate pony Madcrafter!

MeanMrsMustard, I think the eyes on Puddinghead are a little too close together, and the head just a little too wide, which makes her look a bit odd. The other two are okay though. Glad to have you in the thread and look forward to seeing more work from you.

---

I drew my alchemist character as a pony, then realised I wasn't sure what colour scheme to give him. So I tried some different schemes out. I knew I wanted the green hair, to match his human hair, but I tried some colours out for the coat. I'm liking the yellow, brown and white, though I think the blue and yellow-green suit him too. What do you think?

(10 images)
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

"Green Hair! It's an awful, awful colour."

Hmmm, I think that the beige (1st), brown (last), and white (2nd) all look ok, as well as the light green (6th). As previous experience shows though, I'm no expert on colour.

----

Day 48:

NATG prompt: "Draw a pony fixing something/Draw a pony on the mend!" This one came out pretty good IMO.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour.

EDIT: I realize now that I forgot Fluttershy's other wing again... Too late to fix it now I guess.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-12 at 04:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1077

Day 48:

NATG prompt: "Draw a pony fixing something/Draw a pony on the mend!" This one came out pretty good IMO.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour.

EDIT: I realize now that I forgot Fluttershy's other wing again... Too late to fix it now I guess.
    Flutters' head is rounder, hair is higher. Nose has a little bit more of an upwards bump kinda thing? Body is also a little long; pony bodies are really short, only about as big as their head. I think you also missed the hoof holding the medigun.

Mac is better, generally. Few wobbles on the minigun but that's kinda the breaks when you're working on p&p. Should also work on hoof shape.

Remember eye highlights! Grab an eraser and make tiny little white patches on dem eyeballs. Pony eyes look weird without 'em.

Random advice dispensing complete, Thanqol away!

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

Why thank you Thanqol. I did indeed forget the eye highlights and one of the front hooves, although she is carrying the medigun in her mouth (though as it is it is kind of hard to see). I guess I need to look over things more carefully, but it's always hard to see the errors when you've been working on something for a while.

29. - Top - End - #1079

Why thank you Thanqol. I did indeed forget the eye highlights and one of the front hooves, although she is carrying the medigun in her mouth (though as it is it is kind of hard to see). I guess I need to look over things more carefully, but it's always hard to see the errors when you've been working on something for a while.
    Know that feel. You step back and stare at something and feel pride and then someone says something like "why does she have no hair" and you wonder how you didn't see that.

Happens to me a lot. I edit 3-4 times every night after I 'finish' a piece.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:23 PM.