New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    Madcrafter, have you tried taking less time drawing individual pieces? Honestly, I think you should, especially with simple figures; get a feel for them by making more of them, not taking long on any single one.
    It's an idea. Right now I feel like I should be spending more time on them, since when I'm drawing I always feel rushed (probably why there are so many things overlooked). An hour (I actually have no idea how long it took for the last one, since I didn't look at a clock right when I started, it's only an estimate) for a little drawing like that does seem like too long though, but I figure I just need more practice.

Maybe I should try a different method that isn't so time consuming. Right now I draw lightly, than slightly darker as I refine the image, erasing old trails after they begin getting in the way. Parts of that drawing above have been drawn six or seven times, which is pretty standard for me. There's probably a more efficient method, but I haven't really tried doing it any other way.

If I were a bit more open about what I think of a lot of the drawings on here, you guys will hate me or something, and I don't want that! So I only open my mouth if I feel like I can say something useful and conducive to learning. I think nitpicking is cool though, if only to catch errors you can't believe you've missed.
    And now you have me wondering what you really think. I doubt you would get such a negative response if you went ahead and said it's all terrible; everyone can be a jerk on the internet. (And a blow to the self esteem could be refreshing now and then, in a cathartic sort of way).

Also, are the Nazi's anyone in particular?
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-12 at 11:14 AM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ogre in the Playground

Totally didn't get that those were humanized pokemon until I saw the second picture. Subtle. Or maybe they just need colour. Don't really have any critique for any of them, but maybe one of the others who infrequent this thread do. Only critique is the pony's face doesn't looks like an ordinary pony, but since it's done in your usual style, not really relevant.

----

Day 49:

NATG prompt: "Draw a pony getting a makeover/Draw a pony using (or abusing) mousse." Seeing as I watched the newspaper CMC episode last night, this came to mind:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Half an hour. Drew fast today, with only two layers for most parts. Turned out alright, so I'll try cutting down some more maybe.
    Music: Pony.

Auch flyingchicken, sprechen Sie Deutsch? Oder hast du google verwenden?

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that image is the first I've seen you do that isn't in a similar style. I quite like it.

----

Day 50:

NATG: "Draw a pony in command/Draw a pony in the lead." No puns today, but I did a little more since it was 50 an all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour and a half roughly.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-14 at 01:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    I think that image is the first I've seen you do that isn't in a similar style. I quite like it.

----

Day 50:

NATG: "Draw a pony in command/Draw a pony in the lead." No puns today, but I did a little more since it was 50 an all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: An hour and a half roughly.
    Advice for the day: Pony ears start down way lower, like halfway along their eyes.

Griffon looks rad though!

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, defiantly regressed a bit on the ears there. And griffons tend to always look rad. Its just how they roll.

----

Day 51:

NATG: "Draw a Pony Traveling/Draw an exotic pony." So space ponies, travelling fast:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Pony

Ponies already have huge heads, so Dark Helmet just takes it to eleven.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, who are the blonde and brunette in the upper left supposed to be? Also, like the non-cartoon faces.

----

Day 52:

NATG: "Draw a Pony Being Inquisitive / Draw a Pony Puzzled." So two puzzle ponies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Roughly ten minutes each.

10. - Top - End - #1090

Hmm, who are the blonde and brunette in the upper left supposed to be? Also, like the non-cartoon faces.

----

Day 52:

NATG: "Draw a Pony Being Inquisitive / Draw a Pony Puzzled." So two puzzle ponies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Roughly ten minutes each.
    > That thing on the right

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

I know right?

----

Day 53:

NATG: "Draw a romantic pony/Draw a pony on a date!" Lots wrong art-wise with this one since I rushed it a bit (though it still took a while).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 minutes

Tom, you silver haired fox you.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ogre in the Playground

I found the book, and will try to take a look at it when I have time.

----

Day 54:

NATG: "Draw a pony under pressure/Draw a pony feeling the heat." Really rushed (just a few minutes to midnight here), literally nothing to see here, but I need to post it anyways.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 10 minutes (if that)
    Music: Actually on a skype call home (multitasking at its finest).

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

15. - Top - End - #1095

It's been more than a week since people other than the three of us posted
    Whine whine, it's been two weeks without a single comment in my drawthread and you don't see me breaking down into solitude-driven renditions of Forever Alone.

I'm not normally a fan of the style you use, but I do think there's something to how it looks in profile. Dash looks good here.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-19 at 12:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

17. - Top - End - #1097

While what I perceive to be a patronizing tone fills me with rage, I'll calm down because reasons.
    No patronising. I just genuinely don't get along with your art style. I can see intellectually how it can be appealing and unique but my idea of aesthetics is way more in favour of Dresden Codak style visuals.

But, like I said, I think that jagged angle works well in profile, and I spent twenty minutes contemplating how to adopt aspects of it into my own style.

---

prompted head angles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like these. The profile shots just work for me while the front angle ones don't. The shape of the eye, curve of the lips and structure of the chin just look good to me.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-19 at 05:03 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with Thanqol, the profile ones look good.

Is there any reason why you are drawing in Flash instead of your usual program of choice? From my (albeit brief) personal experience, it doesn't seem like a very good option for just drawing. Unless you intend to start animating?

----

Day 55:

Did a little more today to make up for yesterday's complete lack of any time. For the NATG: "Draw a pony acrobat/Draw a stable pony!" This one was part of a project that I started a few months ago and have never gotten around to working on since, as such I only did half of it today.
    Spoiler
    Show

And, since I didn't actually touch my sketchbook for that, I decided I needed something done in good old graphite, so started reading through the Vilppu a bit. (Bad quality image here)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: No idea.
    Music: None

The sketches in that book so far all seem overly expressive. I assume that the models are supposed to take overly dramatic poses to give the artist something extra to work with.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Bugbear in the Playground

I agree with Thanqol, the profile ones look good.

Is there any reason why you are drawing in Flash instead of your usual program of choice? From my (albeit brief) personal experience, it doesn't seem like a very good option for just drawing. Unless you intend to start animating.
    I suspect it's because it's just the best vector art program he has.

As for me, I have little to contribute, whether in form of commentary or content. I mostly got random inane pictures or attempts at designing new templates to use. ..someday.

This is one such template, for an alicorn-type pony, modeled after Princess Cadance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Link

One complaint I got about it was that it looked "creepy". Well... perhaps it is, but neither me nor the one person complaining can explain why, exactly. Any insights?
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

20. - Top - End - #1100

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    One complaint I got about it was that it looked "creepy". Well... perhaps it is, but neither me nor the one person complaining can explain why, exactly. Any insights?
    It's the shape of the jaw and where it meets the neck. It's that slightly uncanny valley effect some of your pictures get. Apart from that everything else looks good.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's the shape of the jaw and where it meets the neck. It's that slightly uncanny valley effect some of your pictures get. Apart from that everything else looks good.
    Hm, uncanny valley? As in, a little too realistic for its own good? I'd never think I'd run into that, even if I do attempt to make plausible-looking designs.

I'll look into that jaw/neck problem to see how I could improve it, thanks.

So, I'm not actually entirely inactive. Just... I don't know, art-blocked? Here are the two pictures I've gotten stuck on lately, mostly because I can't conjure up enough focus to return to them. Really, anything I can't do in one sitting gets exponentially delayed with every consecutive attempt. It's ridiculous.

Fluttershy and an alicat flying. Apart from this being a somewhat odd place for Fluttershy to be (RD would probably look a lot better for flying with a winged cat, and would be much more recognizable too), the chief problem I have here is the darn landscape. I... have no idea how to make it work. On one hand, this sort of tilted/curved view does make it look interesting, but on the other hand I am completely lost as to how perspective should work in this case. That's not to mention trying to draw clouds up close with just lines. I've no idea why I have trouble with that.

Some OCs and Vinyl being dressed up by Sweetie Belle... which is misleading because Vinyl and Sweetie Belle (grown up in this case) are also "original" characters rather than being who they are in the show. IRC RP shenanigans, in other words. (Vinyl looks neat in star spangled spandex... fancy that) I've already posted this one before, in a less complete state. Now it mostly lacks a scene, which I am completely at a loss as to how to set up. It's really more of an issue of getting started on it and throwing down lines until something works.

And this picture is... really, I don't know. I might actually work on it because I like the premise and the joke, but I have a feeling I'll get bogged down in unneeded details again. As it is, it's a very quick and very rough sketch. Practically a doodle.

In other news, I tried checking out if I can draw anything with my left hand. this is the result. Weak, wobbly, but altogether slightly better than I expected. Might be interesting to invest in some training time.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Hm, uncanny valley? As in, a little too realistic for its own good? I'd never think I'd run into that, even if I do attempt to make plausible-looking designs.

I'll look into that jaw/neck problem to see how I could improve it, thanks.

So, I'm not actually entirely inactive. Just... I don't know, art-blocked? Here are the two pictures I've gotten stuck on lately, mostly because I can't conjure up enough focus to return to them. Really, anything I can't do in one sitting gets exponentially delayed with every consecutive attempt. It's ridiculous.
    You know what might shake you out of your art-funk?
    Drawing more pictures of your Ponithid Time-Clone.

Because free art is awesome Because her non-standard design will be a stimulating challenge. Yeah, let's go with that.

(Also, she's missing her front mouth tentacle, but that's okay, as the Ponithid was never biologically stable even before elaborate timeline shenanigans).
    And was never genetically stable because I'm not sure she even had a genetic code.

As for Cadence there, I think it's mostly the jawline and her expression (Her eyes are a bit...serious perhaps? ), more than the Uncanny Valley thing. Sometimes your pictures do get a bit UV, with the amount of detail, but I don't think that's quite so pronounced in this one. Though the line for the front of her neck may be a little far forward still?

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know, am I the only one who doesn't see the creepyness?

And as I think I've stated before, some of the strangeness of the other drawings (oddly not the alicorn one) probably comes from giving them human musculature.

----

Day 56:

NATG: "Draw a pony cooking/Draw a pony with a plate." Terrible I know, but it was either this or a Soylent Green joke. I went with the FOE one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20 minutes maybe

And then I uploaded it, forgetting I had intended to try some shading. Oh well, something for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-20 at 01:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ogre in the Playground

Well you're apparently impaired of reading.

Just note that they're gesture drawings, where "model" doesn't necessarily mean a person holding still for your convenience, among other things that the book notes in plain language. I want to explain the book further, but I realized I'd literally be quoting the book word for word, but you already have a copy!
    While I do realize that they are mostly either a) from imagination or b) people in real life situations as "quick sketches," I would still contend that humans typically move more conservatively (unless they are really hamming it up while acting or something). I will admit to having not done much people watching though, so perhaps I am wrong in this.

Also, non pointed chins! Astounding.

----

Day 57:

NATG: "Draw a pony with their species switched/Draw a transforming pony." Took the opportunity to not draw a pony for once (it does get tiring after such a constant bout).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Probably 20 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, looking through that gallery refutes the statement, seeing as the it was based on what I've seen in this thread since I joined it. My apologies for getting on your nerves as it were. (Despite being extraordinarily snarky, the comment was not really intended as such. My reaction was more along the lines of "that's vaguely interesting").

I agree on the smiley idea though, not that I use them that often.

----

Day 58:

NATG: "Drawing a Pony Helping Someone / A Pony Reaching Out." Inspired by Smokey the Bear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-22 at 12:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

29. - Top - End - #1109

I think you should work to make it look more dynamic; not necessarily the posing, but something with a "swooshy" line of action. That one's just a stiff vertical line.

---

So I did the Newbie Artist Training Grounds myself to see what all the hubbub is about:

NATG I: All of them!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 minutes
    Music: I Want My Hands Back (stuck in my head)
    I'm not gonna keep on using this format.

PROTIP: One minute is a very small amount of time!
    Hahaha brilliant! Very Hark A Vagrant-y. #15 is the personal favourite, though 22-23 are masterstrokes.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree it could use a bit more dynamic action-ness. I tried, but Iron Will's body ended up straight, and it was really hard to bend his legs backward to do the more cartoony run style. But having him walking away from the fire shows his real confidence.

I think those quick drawings are brilliant (agh, Thanqol already used that adjective, pick a synonym of your choice) though.

----

Day 59:

NATG: "Draw a Pony With a Friend / A Pony Hanging Out." Turns out griffons are easier to draw than ponies (less weird marshmallow deformation), at least from my experience. Maybe I just need more practice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: around 40 minutes