New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    Trying out Paint Tool SAI, here's the sketch layer of a Pinkie Pie picture I hope I'll be working on (any tips and tricks with SAI welcome!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    I find SAI to be much better for lining and a painterly style of shading, but I prefer photoshop for eyes and more cel-shading styles as it's easier to get hard lines on your colouring. I also set it up in a very similar way to my PS setup, but that's personal preference. Not really any tips from me...

Maybe grab a few custom brush sets? They can come in handy depending on what you're doing.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Colossus in the Playground

Trying out Paint Tool SAI, here's the sketch layer of a Pinkie Pie picture I hope I'll be working on (any tips and tricks with SAI welcome!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    SAI is fortunately pretty straightforwards, and nothing you can't learn without playing around briefly with it's settings. There's scope for including custom brushes, textures and shapes if you're looking for them but you should learn the ropes first.

SAI has no gradient feature; you're going to have to use the blur tool for such things.

There's a really neat shading technique involving using black pen on three 25% opacity Shade layers.

Finally, this guy talks about some things

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    There's a really neat shading technique involving using black pen on three 25% opacity Shade layers.
    Nope nope nope nope nope. Never shade with black unless the base colour is a grey/white, even then it's better to use a slightly coloured darker grey since it gives environmental colour.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

5. - Top - End - #1115

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Nope nope nope nope nope. Never shade with black unless the base colour is a grey/white, even then it's better to use a slightly coloured darker grey since it gives environmental colour.
    Ah, cool, thanks for the heads up
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-08-24 at 12:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks guys, I'll look into all those!

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Oh my god, someone after my own heart! When I read this I was just ranting about how a lot of MLP fanart (and I'm guessing amateur art in general) use what I call "airbrushed charcoal," combining poorly-executed airbrushing and black-on-color shading.
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2012-08-24 at 01:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks guys, I'll look into all those!

Oh my god, someone after my own heart! When I read this I was just ranting about how a lot of MLP fanart (and I'm guessing amateur art in general) use what I call "airbrushed charcoal," combining poorly-executed airbrushing and black-on-color shading.
    Black shading is actually the bane of my existence in most art forums :P

Ever so rarely it can be done right, but 99% of the time, it looks like ass. Please people, learn how to use an rbg slider, or the colour wheel. Please.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ogre in the Playground

Good to learn that before I start shading for reals.

----

Day 60:

NATG: "Draw a Pony Staying Up Late / Draw a Pony in the Dark!" Fair bit went wrong with this one, including drawing it really skewed by sitting beside my sketchbook instead of in front of it (fixed in post production). But anyways:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20<x<90 minutes
    Music: Pony
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:05 PM. Reason: fixed leg a bit

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Ogre in the Playground

Very useful to see the step by step, for future reference hopefully.

----

Day 61:

NATG: "Draw a pony with a secret/Draw a pony master thief." Was originally going to be a generic pony, but the Pie thief pun was irresistible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40ish minutes
    Music: None

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry for dropping off the map back there ponythread. First I went on a surprise road trip, then I fell off of the art ball do to various real life issues. But I got better I'm still alive and at the end of the day that's what life is all about. Being alive. Yep. And drawing.

What time is it? It's Pinkie Time!

It's a bit rough, yeah, but I'll end up fiddling with it waaay too much if I started to. All in all, including the sketch I posted earlier, this took about two and a half hours. Finally, I think SAI's a fine tool.

I'm sorry if you expected Adventure Time Pinkie
    Pinkie's hair. I like. A lot.
    The legs are a bit splotchy compared to the hair, but you already noted it was just a rough.
    Still, I'm probably going to steal that hair.
    And now I want to try out SAI and leave the eternally buggy/freezing gimp behind. A fun handicap of course (who doesn't like to draw the same thing over?), but I'm getting the feeling it's time to move on.

A-100-10 or "If you spend *too* long pecking away at a picture, you will grow to hate it."
    Spoiler
    Show

This one was a bit of a half request. Someone mentioned something about more sweetie vampire and I was sorta like "I-had-a-few-ideas-in-the-back-of-my head-why-not". So I chose a simply scene to get myself back into the game. Nothing complicated. Sadly, this picture has been giving me a lot of pain for the past 1-2 weeks.
    Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/TSsob.jpg

It's an annoyed disgruntle melancholy vampire Sweetie Belle sitting down eating chocolates with telekinesis. Yay. It's compressed a bit, so the image is kinda bad. But that's the gist of it. I need to clean this one up some more, but by this point, I'm ready to chuck it out the window.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it looks good Bakuel. Horn glow is hard to see though (I think it is there, but I'm not completely sure). Also, is that sunlight streaming through the window directly on the back of her head? It looks a little too warm to be moonlight IMHO. Unless she is one of those vampires that plays nice with the sun.

----

Day 62:

NATG: "Draw a pony Singing/Draw a pony wailing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Dunno, got interrupted in the middle

EDIT: And now when I see it blown up on my computer screen, I realize I forgot the iris. Crap.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-26 at 03:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    I think it looks good Bakuel. Horn glow is hard to see though (I think it is there, but I'm not completely sure). Also, is that sunlight streaming through the window directly on the back of her head? It looks a little too warm to be moonlight IMHO. Unless she is one of those vampires that plays nice with the sun.
    Thanks!
    It's moonlight. A recurring theme with my night time pics is that everyone says they are too dark. Now this one may be too light... Maybe more blue will offset this?
    The hornglow is there but the site compresses the image and it's harder to see as the colors get all messed up. I wanted a faint aura though, but it might be a bit too much. I tweaked it today though, but it still is pretty faint.

----

Day 62:

NATG: "Draw a pony Singing/Draw a pony wailing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Dunno, got interrupted in the middle

EDIT: And now when I see it blown up on my computer screen, I realize I forgot the iris. Crap.
    Singing in the rain! Classic!

A-111, Or "The end of vampires!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Added some more blue to the highlights and darkened it a tad. Made the unicorn magic thingy less transparent. Also uploaded it to deviant art so the colors should be better.
    Anyway, I'm done with this one. Onward to better things! Hopefully anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...el-d5cmpii.png
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-08-26 at 09:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1124

Yay! It's Bakuel!

Only comment on the vampy picture is that the telekinisis glow is so subtle as to be almost undetectable. I think it should stand out more, especially in the low-light conditions.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you draw with your elbow loose or anchored?

I think you should practice the basic 3D shapes (spheres, boxes and cylinders) a bit, and maybe a little perspective. That would help with the lamp-column thing immensely!
    Usually with my forearm braced on the edge of the desk, so my elbow acts as a lever. I agree with perspective, that and volume are things I sometimes have some trouble with.

----

Day 63:

NATG: "Draw a pony searching for something/Draw a pony finding a treasure." Thought I wouldn't do much today, since I'm super tired and something weird is going on with the nerves in my elbow, but I actually had a lot of fun with this drawing. I think it turned out ok, and that the Daring Do is much better than some of the other ponies I've drawn. (Go basic circle shapes!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Some time, less than an hour

EDIT: Another drawfriend for Bakuel! I don't know if that is exciting or not.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-08-27 at 03:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Congratulations, Bakuel, on yet again making it into the drawfriend. I'll add another voice to the "magic glow too weak" complaint, and point out that Sweetie's face looks odd because of the slightly too wide mouth and a lack of visible nostrils.

Congratulations everyone else on good progress in your respective endeavors. Rather nice job on the stonework there, Madcrafter.

Me, I don't seem to have much luck with drawing lately. Doing bits and pieces, on and off..

"Fluttershy and a random alicat" is now at a state I'm going to call "finished", because I won't torture the background any longer, I'll just accept I can't do any better right now and move on. I think I need a couple more levels of Artist before I can do landscapes neatly.

"White Wind, meditating... or something", a picture I have no idea why I've drawn, on a whim and within about an hour, but which everybody seems to like, so something must've gone right. White Wind is Gadora's character on the ponythread IRC channel.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay! It's Bakuel!
    Good to have you back!
    I may wander off, but I always come bumbling back in the end.

Only comment on the vampy picture is that the telekinisis glow is so subtle as to be almost undetectable. I think it should stand out more, especially in the low-light conditions.
    What they said, completeness notwithstanding. I think it could use with a bit more contrast and a few more light areas. But I say just reflect on it and leave it behind!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I'll add another voice to the "magic glow too weak" complaint
    I was actually working from the assumption that the telekinesis spell power was an aura type thing which didn't produce a light but just reflected it. Maybe it would glow though. But then would the aura around the objects glow too? That would mess up the shadows (making more work) but it would have made the lighting more interesting, with minor light sources floating around (and tie into flyingchicken's suggestion). Maybe an idea for another nighttime telekinesis picture...

Sexy (?), wiry (literally!), robot women with no mouths:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*[/IMG]
    middle one looks bloated, right one's boobs are uneven

I colored one in:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    the eyes need to be reoriented with the face, her right cheek doesn't align with the corresponding thigh (pretend it's ROBOTICS), the left thigh aligns too well with the left arm that it looks like they're merged, I'm not entirely too happy with the color choices I've made for the wires, and the highlights are a tad too white
    "My date turned out to be a deathrobot... Again."
    Once again. I like. Even if the middle and left one have the mistakes you noted, I still like their designs.
    On the color, my only comment is that I don't know if it's because of the highlights in the hair, but part of me thinks that there should be a *little* more defined/bolder highlights on her skin. Namely her bum. But that's a matter of style.

Day 63:

NATG: "Draw a pony searching for something/Draw a pony finding a treasure." Thought I wouldn't do much today, since I'm super tired and something weird is going on with the nerves in my elbow, but I actually had a lot of fun with this drawing. I think it turned out ok, and that the Daring Do is much better than some of the other ponies I've drawn. (Go basic circle shapes!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Some time, less than an hour
    The pony is a nice improvement! I can see you didn't use perspective for the stone walls, but you winged it alright and I like the lines on some of the stones and the general feeling. If that makes sense. But you should look into using some basic perspective lines on structures, for things like buildings you almost always need perspective lines to get it to look consistent.

EDIT: Another drawfriend for Bakuel! I don't know if that is exciting or not.
    It's always exciting for me! *does happydance*

Honestly I don't know how anyone else does it, but those scenes are a lot work and headscratching for me. I have a wonderful mental picture of a scene. I draw something. It doesn't look nearly as good as it does in my head. I sit around looking at while taking part in beard pulling and head scratching trying to figure the reason why it doesn't. I make a change that I think is good one day, wake up the next and realize it's a bunch of crap and I notice a whole lot of problems that I need to figure out how to solve. Leading to more beard pulling and headscratching. Make some changes, go to sleep and then the process repeats. After all this, it still isn't as good as the mental image.

Congratulations, Bakuel, on yet again making it into the drawfriend... and point out that Sweetie's face looks odd because of the slightly too wide mouth and a lack of visible nostrils.
    Thanks! :D
    The nostrils! Why couldn't you have posted this yesterday before it went to drawfriend!
    Now I'm afraid to edit it. Poor Sweetie Belle will be forever without a sense of smell... No wonder she's so blue, sweets are probably one of the only things she can still taste.

Me, I don't seem to have much luck with drawing lately. Doing bits and pieces, on and off..

"Fluttershy and a random alicat" is now at a state I'm going to call "finished", because I won't torture the background any longer, I'll just accept I can't do any better right now and move on. I think I need a couple more levels of Artist before I can do landscapes neatly.

"White Wind, meditating... or something", a picture I have no idea why I've drawn, on a whim and within about an hour, but which everybody seems to like, so something must've gone right. White Wind is Gadora's character on the ponythread IRC channel.
    The scenery does look wonderful! I guess you coloring it is out of the question?
    And the second one is nice, maybe it's the pose and expression that makes so many people like it.

A-111 or "I HATE PARTIES!"
    Spoiler
    Show

First, let's get the doodles out of the way,

First, a shocking personal revelation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Life is all about studying! And hard work!
    A five minute doodle. Yeah, I'm pretty slow.

Then the result of all the talk about glowing horns.

Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/uu5A8.jpg

Finally a rush color job on boxing Scoot. I finally got around to listening to RainbowCrash88's fighting theme for Dash. So I drew fighting Scoot instead. Messy lines all the way! No more clean up! Alright, sorry about this I was just really in a hurry today, but I wanted to color *something*. Even if it's simple 1-2-3, base color, shading and highlight. And poor Scoots has poor anatomy, even for a marshmellow figure. Specifically her bum area and legs seem a bit off. And the less said about the length of her arms, the better. But it is what it is.

Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/hrIPt.jpg

Yeah, there will be more serious fare in the future... Hopefully anyway.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-08-27 at 11:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

I would probably have something to say about the Scootaloo, but... best I can come up with is colour is a bit off putting. And the right shoulder/clothing looks a little strange to me; maybe the corner is too sharp? Otherwise agree with your assessment.

Sean Mirrsen is good as always.

----

Never saw that test before, so I had to give it a try.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't say I'm terribly surprised, though I found it interesting that I had a larger total area than Bakuel. I wonder how that works (more answers relating to multiple types maybe?).

Day 64:

NATG: "Draw a pony attending a masquerade/Draw a fancy pony." Fancypants, who is best pony, as the Dos Equis guy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30-40 minutes
    Music: Pony.

----

Day 65:

NATG: "Draw a pony moving on/Draw a pony charging." Obligatory Sweetie Bot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 10 minutes

----

Day 66:

NATG: "Draw a Pony Celebrating / Draw a Pony Graduating." Bad, but there is no time!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 15 minutes

----

Day 67:

Last day of NATG. Did every theme, 30 seconds each (with some getting 10 seconds extra cleanup time if they were accidentally marked or something). As expected, most of them turned out pretty bad; I learned I need to go more longer form strokes, rather than rushing over details. Something I knew already in an intellectual sense, but this reinforced it. As such, the best one IMO is the Shining Armour/Cadance in the upper right. It helped that their eyes were closed, since ovals are hard to draw nicely quickly. Anyways.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~20 minutes
    Music: Some Pony

----

Day 68:

No more ponies for a while...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Lost track, 20-60 min

----

Day 69:

Tried out something in PS today, since I had the time. Still definitely needs some work, but better than I'd thought I'd be able to do on a first attempt. Plus I learned a bunch of tools. Rushed the starscape quite a bit too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~3 Hours.
    Music: None.

----

Day 70:

The Thinker, with overly hard shadows.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 35 minutes

----

Day 71:

Just a quick sketch of the stadtbahn car.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 10 minutes

----

Dya 72:

I draw ugly people. Good thing they are canon in real life.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: No idea
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-09-05 at 05:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, someone else showed up. Long time no see.

I'll with the shoulder tomorrow; I think it will make my drawings have to be larger from a quick motion test. We'll see how it goes.

I rushed the background on the space thing, and I agree with you assessment. It being my first real thing in PS besides flat ponies and some diagrams for work though, I definitely learned a lot, so it was a victory.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1133

Go go go :D

---

still stuggling with painting:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ooo, starting to look good. This in SAI?

I like the slightly burned edges around the horn and chin; how'd you do that?

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely looks more blended colour-wise to me. Nice. (I quite like the lighting on the hair particularly, dunno why).

----

Day 73:
    Spent a few hours in in PS, but it amounted to nothing, so I instead drew boxes and spheres and some shading stuff. Not so interesting really. (I also found my left hand twitching Ctrl+Alt+z every time I messed up drawing, which concerns me somewhat).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Just a few minutes.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

If I had a tablet I'd do a lot more in PS. No, I have to use a mouse, and drawing with a mouse is something I always thought was difficult. I try and avoid using things like the brush tool freehand with it.

Interesting choice on the texturing. I like it, but I think it comes out a little to strongly on the darker parts of the sky. Nice painting though.

----

Day 74:

Took the suggestion to try working with my shoulder instead. Was a bit skeptical, since holding my arm free always added that extra dimension of movement and made me feel like it would be difficult to control my pencil. After a little while it turned out to be not so bad, but I have determined that my shoulder fine motor skills need some work.
    Just did a bunch of lines really, testing it out. Circles, lines for straightness, spirals for accuracy, curves for flow, shading, and the thing I found I had the most trouble with, sharp angles. The lines always end up curving at the corners, so I'm thinking it might be better to just do two lines and erase the extras.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Dunno

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, dare I ask where Mouse-lestia came from?

----

Day 75:

A head, from the shoulder. Started in the morning, went off to do other stuff and forgot, so that's all I have. Some of the lines are squiggly, so I can work on that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 10 or 15 minutes

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm, dare I ask where Mouse-lestia came from?
    The IRC, primarily. For once I was contributing to creating a random idea rather than just getting one from someone. :P

Spoiler
    Show
    In essence, it was a language pun thing. "Celestia" is pronounced in Russian with a "ya" at the end, making the phrase "Celestia is the bestia" have a different connotation in Russian, where the word "bestiya" has meanings centered around cunning and subterfuge - "rogue" is one of the primary ones. However apart from that, Google Translate offers "ratface", slang for a shady person or a crook. Therefore, Ratlestia.

Here's my take on the subject:
    Spoiler
    Show

And the follow-up:
    Spoiler
    Show

Most of my drawings lately are stuff for/from the IRC.
    Luka's OC.
    Flashpoint polishing his sword.
    Pinkie Pie attacking Dr.Robotnik's Diggle-Bot, and detailed close-up of Pinkie.
    A relaxing wizard.
    Applejack of the Green Apple Corps.
    Luka's OC meets Rainbow Slash.
    Magic Pony School Bus on a Giant Eagle in a Safety Bubble. Yeah.
    Luna being a little rusty.
    Return of the Pony Rangers: Harmonic Vivacity.
    Arctic fox sketch, and Pirate Princess Arctic Fox sketch.
    Elf-bunny maid...
    Random harpycat...
    Random kiwicat...
    Return of the Pony Rangers: Harmonic Tenacity.
    And this one you've seen in Ponythread, Khenghis Khan and his Rainbow Steed.

And... I think that's all since last time I posted.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ogre in the Playground

I see. This IRC channel sounds like it spawns a lot of weird ideas.

Nice works as always Sean Mirrsen

----

Day 76:

Teemo, a LoL champion. Tried to start with the shoulder but found there was too much detail work to get very far.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 50 min I think

----

Day 77:

A tree.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Dunno
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-09-10 at 06:39 AM.