New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

It's remarkable how expressive tentacles can be.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground

The expressions are turning out very... expressive. I'm surprised at how much you can convey with just the tentacles.

----

Day 166:

Just more stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: an hour and a half, maybe two
    Music: Odd combo of Pony, Mumble, and video game ambiant
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    The expressions are turning out very... expressive. I'm surprised at how much you can convey with just the tentacles.

----

Day 166:

Just more stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: an hour and a half, maybe two
    Music: Odd combo of Pony, Mumble, and video game ambiant
    This is good, but it makes me feel like you should start moving towards inking, heavier/more distinct outlines, or some style/equipment shakeup because you're reaching the range of what your pencils can distinctively convey. I'd actually really like to see you take what you've learned to a tablet.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    This is good, but it makes me feel like you should start moving towards inking, heavier/more distinct outlines, or some style/equipment shakeup because you're reaching the range of what your pencils can distinctively convey. I'd actually really like to see you take what you've learned to a tablet.
    Pencil singular. I suppose I could get an actual sketching set, rather than the generic 5mm mechanical one I'm using now.

I've thought about buying a tablet. The transition to not being able to see what I'm doing on the interface itself has me a bit afeared though; it will take some getting used to. Plus I don't think I'd be able to get one until mid-January anyways, so it looks like I'm sticking with graphite for the immediate future.

Or pens... hmmmm. Something to look into maybe.

5. - Top - End - #1355

Pencil singular. I suppose I could get an actual sketching set, rather than the generic 5mm mechanical one I'm using now.
    Oh god, you've been working all this time on a single mechanical pencil?

Take my word, go out and buy a set ranging from 3H to 6B. It'll set you back $10, tops. A good set of pencils will add +2 to your art score straight up.

I've thought about buying a tablet. The transition to not being able to see what I'm doing on the interface itself has me a bit afeared though; it will take some getting used to. Plus I don't think I'd be able to get one until mid-January anyways, so it looks like I'm sticking with graphite for the immediate future.

Not gonna lie. The first thing you draw on the tablet is gonna look like this.

Sooner or later the transition will click and you'll never, ever, ever want to go back.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-09 at 07:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh god, you've been working all this time on a single mechanical pencil?

Take my word, go out and buy a set ranging from 3H to 6B. It'll set you back $10, tops. A good set of pencils will add +2 to your art score straight up.
    Hence why my shadows were sort of an all or nothing thing when I first tried them. Yeah, I'll go pick up some masterwork tools if I can find an art store during my vacationing. I'll do some research on a magic pen and board when I get home.

----

Day 167:

I have to say I'm really liking these Warmachine books for art to try and copy. They seem to do a good job with the lighting and shadows, even if the occasional person still suffers from Massive Pauldron Syndrome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1h15m
    Music: Pony

It's almost making me want to actually play the game, if I had the time or money to wargame.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Troll in the Playground

Darn, I was considering suggesting this yesterday but got distracted and then Thanqol stole my thunder!

Yeah, I would agree with the suggestion to upgrade. Consider getting at least one pen and maybe some tracing paper and then transferring a drawing over in pen. You'll discover that sometimes something that works in pencil needs tweaks when the lines become more definite, or it looks subtly off. It's a good lesson to learn early.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

So many faces. So many.
    Still five left to go.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    So many faces. So many.
    Still five left to go.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thrilled .

----

Day 168:

More Starswirl, not as good as the last, but it is Monday.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes.

10. - Top - End - #1360

Thrilled .

----

Day 168:

More Starswirl, not as good as the last, but it is Monday.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes.
    Leg position looks awkward. Use this:

Spoiler
    Show

Actually applies incredibly accurately to MLP movements.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

Leg position looks awkward. Use this:

Spoiler
    Show

Actually applies incredibly accurately to MLP movements.
    Yeah, I had a bunch of running horse pictures for reference. It didn't seem to help, though it does look better than when he was running like a human. It's one of those times I wished I had the ability to digitally adjust it instead of redrawing the legs over and over.

----

Day 169:

Despite basically living out of a suitcase for the last eight months, it's still somehow difficult to pack. Took half the evening just for one little piece of luggage. So, I grabbed my pen, and drew stuff, without learning how I should. It will come back to bite me I'm sure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Less than an hour

It's definitely interesting. Since I'm just using my usual fine ballpoint, I have to hold it as if I were writing, since it doesn't work at more than a small angle. Not being able to erase wasn't actually as disconcerting as I thought it would be, possibly since I always prefer pen for writing when I can. It also means everyone gets to see all the little lines I do quite plainly. The whole thing felt very much more "cartoony" than pencil (though I know it is possible to achieve similar effects with ink).
    Another great advantage is that the high contrast made taking a picture a breeze, compared to the usual 5-10 shots I need for a pencil drawing (the camera on my phone has difficulty with 2D stuff apparently). I can't wait to get home so I can actually scan.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-12-11 at 03:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Troll in the Playground

It's definitely interesting. Since I'm just using my usual fine ballpoint, I have to hold it as if I were writing, since it doesn't work at more than a small angle. Not being able to erase wasn't actually as disconcerting as I thought it would be, possibly since I always prefer pen for writing when I can. It also means everyone gets to see all the little lines I do quite plainly. The whole thing felt very much more "cartoony" than pencil (though I know it is possible to achieve similar effects with ink).
    Out of curiosity, how do you usually hold your pencil while drawing? Do you typically shade with the side of it? That will also change if you ever decide to switch to digital, just so you know.

The cartoony look probably has something to do with the fact that most of the drawings are line-only. For a lot of reasons (time constraints, reproducibility, tool limitations, etc.) cartoons usually rely heavily on line to convey ideas, and don't have the sort of subtle shading you would see in, say, a still-life. In real life by contrast, we actually piece together a lot of information about the objects we see through value changes, which is why something carefully shaded/colored tends to look more 'realistic'.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Dwarf in the Playground

I return after one of my usual chronic absences. End of the year blues, general tomfoolery, and triflingness.

Day 167:

I have to say I'm really liking these Warmachine books for art to try and copy. They seem to do a good job with the lighting and shadows, even if the occasional person still suffers from Massive Pauldron Syndrome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1h15m

It's almost making me want to actually play the game, if I had the time or money to wargame.
    This is very good, but I must play the part of the parrot. You really should get darker pencils to make your dark parts darker. Ink is nice, but lacks those subtle hues, but that's just all opinion.

C-15 or, "Trying to Color a Scene in SAI".
    Spoiler
    Show

Trying to color that request Scoot werewolf type picture I posted three weeks ago,
    It looks like something now I guess, but what, that is the question.
    I picture of blue, yellow and orange/red, I had a disastrous run in with a primarily red picture. It was funny. I need to work with red.
    The background is less ambitious then the sketch, now I feel tempted to go back and trying to color the old one.
    A strange mixture of color and using the pen tool for some of the lines. Perhaps this isn't for the best.
    Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/ae8km.jpg
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-12-12 at 01:06 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

Scene is looking pretty good, generally speaking. If I recall, in the original sketch Scoots was very de-emphasised in comparison. Eye region looks a bit strange, maybe, though. Probably just an unavoidable consequence of the angle.

So, yeah, I was musing a while back on how I hadn't ever drawn a canon pony.
    More recently, I went all overboard mentally speaking, discussingmaking up stuff about the Mushroom Ponies for Dirtytabs amusement in Ponythread.
    And then Anarion starts making with the Apple-Ponies are Background Ponies jokes.

So I figure, preliminary plan is, finish the ABC meme. Seriously, I don't care how much I've stalled on V for Violent, I've only got 5 faces left to do. After that though, I'm going to consider doing an Applejack in the land of the Mushroom Ponies type picture, just because. The idea I have in mind is complex, clever and involves an intricate background as well as several ponies at least one of which has to look a certain way and may even require some basic linework at some stage.

So it'll almost certainly never get anywhere. Still, that's the plan, for now.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    I return after one of my usual chronic absences. End of the year blues, general tomfoolery, and triflingness.
    Hope the blues are clearing up; I know how those feel and it isn't great.

C-15 or, "Trying to Color a Scene in SAI".
    Spoiler
    Show

Trying to color that request Scoot werewolf type picture I posted three weeks ago,
    It looks like something now I guess, but what, that is the question.
    I picture of blue, yellow and orange/red, I had a disastrous run in with a primarily red picture. It was funny. I need to work with red.
    The background is less ambitious then the sketch, now I feel tempted to go back and trying to color the old one.
    A strange mixture of color and using the pen tool for some of the lines. Perhaps this isn't for the best.
    Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/ae8km.jpg
    I think the picture's got legs, but something seems missing? One thing I would suggest is to add in some more brush strokes to define Scoot's fur. It looks good around the arms and cheek fuzz, but some areas without the same texture look flat by comparison.

So I figure, preliminary plan is, finish the ABC meme. Seriously, I don't care how much I've stalled on V for Violent, I've only got 5 faces left to do. After that though, I'm going to consider doing an Applejack in the land of the Mushroom Ponies type picture, just because. The idea I have in mind is complex, clever and involves an intricate background as well as several ponies at least one of which has to look a certain way and may even require some basic linework at some stage.
    This sounds like it will be full of "why did I want to do this again" moments. It also sounds like an excellent learning experience. As such, I encourage you to tackle it full-bore!

And I totally want to see your version of AJ, so this isn't a selfish request at all, noooo...

Anyway, here's my work for today - a Pinkie Pie. Goal on this one was to try and get some more motion in the pose and set out toward shaded ponies a bit. I think it's largely successful, although still very much the beginning phase of something hopefully larger.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do you usually hold your pencil while drawing? Do you typically shade with the side of it? That will also change if you ever decide to switch to digital, just so you know.
    Pencil drawing I do mostly with a slightly relaxed normal grip, but about halfway up, so it forms an angle of roughly 30 degrees with the paper.

----

Day 170:

So Rome is pretty cool (both senses of the word). Travel and sightseeing also means I ended up drawing only during the half hour before midnight. I started the Pantheon in pencil, tried lining it it pen, and ran out of time, so it's kind of crap. This situation is unlikely to improve for the remainder of my vacation (I have to remember to try and find some pencils too). My long lines are wavy as well, and the whole picture kind of ran off the edge of my page.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 25 minutes
    Music: None
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-12-12 at 06:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground

Took an artistic detour for the night, due to remembering I'd said I'd make art to represent my Eidolon in the pathfinder game that starts tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show

It's basically a mildly nightmarish looking day-glow muppet. Because why not? I'm playing a Halfling summoner with quite low wisdom. I've named him Peck, because he is a stupid peck.

No name for Eidolon yet. Probably going to be something over the top, using some inspiration from the concept of the Servants in Fate, having the Eidolon claim to be some kind grand beast of legend or something.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Troll in the Playground

Took an artistic detour for the night, due to remembering I'd said I'd make art to represent my Eidolon in the pathfinder game that starts tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show

It's basically a mildly nightmarish looking day-glow muppet. Because why not? I'm playing a Halfling summoner with quite low wisdom. I've named him Peck, because he is a stupid peck.

No name for Eidolon yet. Probably going to be something over the top, using some inspiration from the concept of the Servants in Fate, having the Eidolon claim to be some kind grand beast of legend or something.
    The ancient and powerful spirit known as... Tutti Frutti!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Titan in the Playground

The ancient and powerful spirit known as... Tutti Frutti!
    Hmm. Looking at him, you'd have raspberry, blackcurrant, blueberry and lime.
    My Eidolon, it is delicious!

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Looking at him, you'd have raspberry, blackcurrant, blueberry and lime.
    My Eidolon, it is delicious!
    Maybe give it Create Food and Water as an SLA?

----

Day 171:

After seeing the ancient Roman graffiti on the walls of the Colliseum, I felt a little upstaged. So I drew a murmillo.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~45 minutes

The pose came out a little less aggressive than I was intending too.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-12-13 at 05:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

I am so close to done, on this.

Spoiler
    Show

Of course, by this point and so many faces in, I'm nearly burnt out on trying to come up with novel expressions.
    Just two left to do.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 11:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

I am so close to done, on this.
    How long roughly does it take you to do one?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    just something I drew idk

I wanted to make another pony comick but I can't think of any good stories
    This strip raises so many questions. What do the gloves do? Why are they fantastic? Why are they only "gloves"? Who is the shadowy figure? Pretty sure you could come up with something (alternatively, you could draw a fanfic or something as a comic if you are looking for story).

----

Day 172:

A mimic. Are they ever any other shape besides chests?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Under an hour.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Titan in the Playground

How long roughly does it take you to do one?
    Some as little as half an hour. Some...more. Mostly the difficulty is concieving of the expression in the first place, which wasn't too hard for the first half or so, but with so many done, it gets harder not to repeat yourself too much. I redrew Violence entirely differently at least twice before the third and final version there.

The only other problem is keeping motivated over such a time period when you are so far out of the habit of actually doing stuff.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Barbarian in the Playground

Day 172:

A mimic. Are they ever any other shape besides chests?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Under an hour.
    Give it a few hundred legs and it becomes the Luggage.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Troll in the Playground

Poni poni poni

Scribbles
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Dwarf in the Playground

Scene is looking pretty good, generally speaking. If I recall, in the original sketch Scoots was very de-emphasised in comparison. Eye region looks a bit strange, maybe, though. Probably just an unavoidable consequence of the angle.
    Yes, I know of the eye. Can't think of any good way to fix it though... This is my least favorite pony angle.
    Scoot was de-emphassised when I was trying to color it more with a night/twilight red type scheme (don't ask!), I realized Scoot's colors came out better on blue.

And then Anarion starts making with the Apple-Ponies are Background Ponies jokes.

More AJ is always a good thing. This is a fact.

Hope the blues are clearing up; I know how those feel and it isn't great.
    Mostly it's of The-year-started-out-so-awesome!-Where-did-I-go-wrong?! variety.
    One of the things is that I realized had went wrong was that I should have drawn more. Nothing to do but prepare for the next year I guess.

I think the picture's got legs, but something seems missing? One thing I would suggest is to add in some more brush strokes to define Scoot's fur. It looks good around the arms and cheek fuzz, but some areas without the same texture look flat by comparison.
    I tried adding more textures and I also tweaked the shadow to be more consistent.

Poni poni poni

Scribbles
    Spoiler
    Show

These are very lively! Especially the dancing and drawing ones.
    But for some strange reason, I don't fully comprehend the top left two though... Is she bucking the Pegasus pony off of her or is the Pegasus pony throwing the earth pony?

As a side note, I've been trying to get some quick lively scribbles in daily for practice, but I always seem to fall short sometime after five or so days. Consistent practice escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    just something I drew idk
    *snip*

I wanted to make another pony comick but I can't think of any good stories
    If it's just something that you just drew are you going to finish the story? I really want to know who's gloves those are.

C-16, or "Yellow Moon"
    Spoiler
    Show

Added some shading and fur texturing to the head. Made the shadow more consistent throughout.

Now I can't help but think Scoot would be better if she were pushed to the right a bit more.
    OH WELL.

Is the shading area better then the last? Worst?
    Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/nC6qv.jpg

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Mostly it's of The-year-started-out-so-awesome!-Where-did-I-go-wrong?! variety.
    One of the things is that I realized had went wrong was that I should have drawn more. Nothing to do but prepare for the next year I guess.
    Best thing to do about that one is move forward, I think. Good luck on drawing in '13!

These are very lively! Especially the dancing and drawing ones.
    But for some strange reason, I don't fully comprehend the top left two though... Is she bucking the Pegasus pony off of her or is the Pegasus pony throwing the earth pony?
    Thanks! I've been doing lots of gesture drawing lately and trying to build up my human anatomy bit by bit. The spillover has been improved efficiency at decomposing ponies into forms, and combining those into more action-y poses. It's actually a bit easier than with humans because their simplified lines are really easy to tie together into motion curves.

Also, in regard to the pegasus question, that's actually an accident more than anything. The two were originally drawn on separate corners of the layer and were completely unrelated, but to make more room for later drawings I shifted the pegasus over, so it looks like there's some interaction there, although it wasn't by design

As a side note, I've been trying to get some quick lively scribbles in daily for practice, but I always seem to fall short sometime after five or so days. Consistent practice escapes me.
    I really recommend gesture drawing for this. You learn a ton from it, and you can get a drawing per minute, or even more once you get confident. I'm currently on a schedule that's shooting for about 400 poses per week, not counting pony drawings, etc. and that only takes an hour each night or so. In connection with that, I really have to recommend the conclusions of this video.

EDIT: If you are interested in good tools for the gesture stuff, you can look here and here for sites with images that you can set on a timer to force you to stick with a schedule.

C-16, or "Yellow Moon"
    Spoiler
    Show

Added some shading and fur texturing to the head. Made the shadow more consistent throughout.

Now I can't help but think Scoot would be better if she were pushed to the right a bit more.
    OH WELL.

Is the shading area better then the last? Worst?
    Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/nC6qv.jpg
    I think the fur looks better overall. I also pinpointed what struck me as odd about the face: since she's in wolf-transition, I would expect Scoots to have a longer/more pointed snout, and to have a visible canine-type nose. Without that, her face looks a little off, at least to my eyes. Keep up the good work though; I'm confident you can pull it off!
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-12-15 at 01:47 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. It does seem to pop a little more, or something.
    On reflection, I think I've figured out one of the things that is weird about the eye. (Other than the strong linework, which is fine but does stand out quite a bit).

I think it might simply be too far round the head. I wonder if it might feel different if the eye was further forward, closer to the other eye. Especially if she's mid-transformation, it might make sense. (I often find, personally, that I've done the eyes a little too small if I'm not paying attention as well, though with it closed, that's less of an obvious thing to check.)

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are interested in good tools for the gesture stuff, you can look here and here for sites with images that you can set on a timer to force you to stick with a schedule.
    Bookmarked. I should really do more of this stuff.

----

Day 173:

Started out as a circle and a square. Ended up trying to draw a wood pattern, which I think worked well but doesn't match the small rest of the image. The original was also quite small, so when its blown up by the computer like this you see a lot of unwanted detail.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 minutes

Also, hot damn are some of these renaissance guys good. If you ever get the chance to come to Rome and see the frescoes and stuff, I highly, highly recommend it.

----

Day 174:

Tried out one of those gesture links above, giving myself an ample minute and a half for each.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 minutes
    Music: People talking on Mumble

Still looking around for those pencils (not actively), but haven't found any stores selling such things while walking around. Might actually have to look one up.
    I'll also be without much internet for the next week and a bit, so we'll see how much my uploading is interrupted (you guys get a break! ).
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-12-16 at 05:11 PM.