New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2237383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 11:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    I prefer drawing gestures from scenes from movies instead of posed figures.
    I've been considering using Cinema Squid for art purposes like that. Do you have any experience with it/opinions on it?
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't have much time but need to post.
    I got a new avatar by Thanqol!!
    This is has lead to a net gain in happiness!

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Best thing to do about that one is move forward, I think. Good luck on drawing in '13!

Here's hoping! I mean, at this point it can't get any- no, I won't even go there.

Thanks! I've been doing lots of gesture drawing lately and trying to build up my human anatomy bit by bit. The spillover has been improved efficiency at decomposing ponies into forms, and combining those into more action-y poses. It's actually a bit easier than with humans because their simplified lines are really easy to tie together into motion curves.
    Also, in regard to the pegasus question, that's actually an accident more than anything. The two were originally drawn on separate corners of the layer and were completely unrelated, but to make more room for later drawings I shifted the pegasus over, so it looks like there's some interaction there, although it wasn't by design
    Ah, that makes sense, they weren't related at all...

I really recommend gesture drawing for this. You learn a ton from it, and you can get a drawing per minute, or even more once you get confident. I'm currently on a schedule that's shooting for about 400 poses per week, not counting pony drawings, etc. and that only takes an hour each night or so. In connection with that, I really have to recommend the conclusions of this video.

EDIT: If you are interested in good tools for the gesture stuff, you can look here and here for sites with images that you can set on a timer to force you to stick with a schedule.
    Thanks for the links!

I think the fur looks better overall. I also pinpointed what struck me as odd about the face: since she's in wolf-transition, I would expect Scoots to have a longer/more pointed snout, and to have a visible canine-type nose. Without that, her face looks a little off, at least to my eyes. Keep up the good work though; I'm confident you can pull it off!
    Added and a bit of a snot nose, not too sure on the nose. Don't want to stretch the snot too much at this angle...

I really should have thought of that when it was a sketch...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Hmm. It does seem to pop a little more, or something.
    On reflection, I think I've figured out one of the things that is weird about the eye. (Other than the strong linework, which is fine but does stand out quite a bit).

I think it might simply be too far round the head. I wonder if it might feel different if the eye was further forward, closer to the other eye. Especially if she's mid-transformation, it might make sense. (I often find, personally, that I've done the eyes a little too small if I'm not paying attention as well, though with it closed, that's less of an obvious thing to check.)
    The eye has been moved closer to the end of the head. The eye was smallish in general for a pony so it's just bigger really.

---

anyway, I added two more pages to the earlier rough comick idk (and the original with a few changes):

Life as a demon-type guy is harder then I thought.

C-17, or "Nose? Why did it have to be a nose?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, a nose. Not too sure on this, too far gone to stretch the snot because then I would have to stretch the mouth and the teeth and all that. I could do it, but I can't help but wish I did it early in the game. The eye is bigger, stretching it more to the front as Tiki Snakes suggested.

Spoiler
    Show

http://http://i.imgur.com/fE0Wf.jpg

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting idea. Although to do that I would actually have to find some movies. And as seen before, I would just end up pausing it to do my sketch, which kind of defeats the purpose.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Interesting idea. Although to do that I would actually have to find some movies. And as seen before, I would just end up pausing it to do my sketch, which kind of defeats the purpose.
    See my cinema squid link above - it's a whole collection of stills from Blu-Ray editions of various movies. I actually got distracted with how pretty they were last night, and it kept me up...

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

See my cinema squid link above - it's a whole collection of stills from Blu-Ray editions of various movies. I actually got distracted with how pretty they were last night, and it kept me up...
    I meant it more in the sense that I don't have any internet right now except what I can steal from restaurants on my phone.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Troll in the Playground

Wonderbolts ATG entry (possibly kind of big):
    Spoiler
    Show

Bluh, would comment but my brain is fried from making this thing. I think I need to refine my workflow on full-color ponies.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Colossus in the Playground

Drawthreaders! I bring you tutorials!

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, those are fundamental and are completely changing the way I think about drawing.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome ATG pic, DD. Is that still going on? Maybe I can do a pic or two for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Drawthreaders! I bring you tutorials!

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, those are fundamental and are completely changing the way I think about drawing.
    Oooh! Thanks for these! Fascinating stuff.

I did a few pics, nothing special. I'll post them later.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Awesome ATG pic, DD. Is that still going on? Maybe I can do a pic or two for it.
    Actually, they're doing a mini-ATG thing for the next few weeks, I think. Instead of one each day, there's one each week - prompt goes up on Tuesday (By US Pacific measure) and you have until Wednesday at midnight (Pacific again) to get something in.

Of course, next Tuesday is Christmas Day, so I have no idea what participation will be like. I'll also be away from my digital art stuff, so we'll see how that goes.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Troll in the Playground

Stuffs what I have done.

These two came from a pokemon-based random art challenge generator thing.

"Your least favourite psychic type" "trying to read a book"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hate Gothitelle. Look at it. Ugh.

"An Ice type pokemon" "drinking hot chocolate"
    Spoiler
    Show

And these were from 30 minute art challenge. Again, done with less time than available due to having dinner. I did manage to colour them though, which I'm happy about.

"Draw a pony as a sea pony"
    Spoiler
    Show

"Draw a pony gambling"
    Spoiler
    Show

I apologise for not giving more feedback to the other artists. I try to, but it's sometimes hard to say more than "I like it, good job!"

-----

Today's challenge (new MLP episode spoiler based)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Draw members of the apple family having fun at the reunion,

Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-12-23 at 04:16 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

Well, considering there were only two faces left to add, I'd hardly call this update worth the wait, but the ABC Expression Meme, Robo-Ponithid edition is finally complete.

Spoiler
    Show

I finished it, instead of sleeping. Because pony, that's why.

EDIT - What, no Christmas Drawthreading?
    So, yes. Super-duper early work in progress blocking out thingy of project "Beyond the Everfree Forest".
    Spoiler
    Show

The vaguely pony shaped orange smudge being the first image of a canon pony I've drawn, funnily enough.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-12-26 at 08:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Troll in the Playground

I'm working on a Christmas pic for a competition now. I'll probably post the lineart after I finish it tomorrow (hopefully) to get some feedback.

I realised I never said well done for your expressions challenge! Well done! I think thrilled is my favourite. I love the way her tentacles curl on that one.

Mushroom forest is looking good! Have you really never drawn a canon pony before?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

I'm working on a Christmas pic for a competition now. I'll probably post the lineart after I finish it tomorrow (hopefully) to get some feedback.

I realised I never said well done for your expressions challenge! Well done! I think thrilled is my favourite. I love the way her tentacles curl on that one.

Mushroom forest is looking good! Have you really never drawn a canon pony before?
    It's true, that vaguely citrus blob that's standing in for best pony is infact the first canon pony I've drawn, to the best of my memory. I've drawn a reasonable number of other peoples OC's and a good number of pictures of my own, but this is the first time I've tried a pony from the show at all.

I did enjoy doing the ABC Meme, had some real fun with some of the faces (And others punched me directly in the feels repeatedly. Seriously, I did them in alphabetical order so at one point I had to do Lonely, Miserable and Nervous, one after the other. It was such an emotional palette cleanser getting to do Obnoxious after that).

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello fine people. Having returned from the internet-less wastes of civilization, I can finally post again and resume my previous posting schedule.

In other news, I finally got (two) sets of drawing pencils, as well as one of those neat mould-able erasers. While I handle them with the adroitness of an orangutan playing the piano, I nonetheless am quite happy to have them (at the very least they make me feel like I'm doing better work).

Having just today come down with something seeming like the flu's weaker cousin though (so far at least), I'll hold off photographing and uploading my daily work from the last little while until tomorrow or the day after probably. Moving is decidedly uncomfortable.

And nice to see that you finally finished that expression table. Looks good, and I'm glad you enjoyed making it. Maybe I should do one... perhaps later.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-12-28 at 01:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

Welcome back Madcrafter!

So here's the holiday image I have been drawing. If anyone could give it a quick look over for anything I have missed (I remembered the wings and cutie mark, at least) or anything that really needs more work. I'm going to thicken up some lines in places, but what else?
    Spoiler
    Show

Derpy visits Santa's toy shop.

I realised while drawing this that I could have drawn Santa as a pony. I just didn't think of it until I was midway through. And I've never seen a ponyfied Santa either. Oh well.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

So here's the holiday image I have been drawing. If anyone could give it a quick look over for anything I have missed (I remembered the wings and cutie mark, at least) or anything that really needs more work. I'm going to thicken up some lines in places, but what else?
    Spoiler
    Show

Derpy visits Santa's toy shop.

I realised while drawing this that I could have drawn Santa as a pony. I just didn't think of it until I was midway through. And I've never seen a ponyfied Santa either. Oh well.
    Don't think I've seen a Santa pony either, except characters dressed up as the former. Not that my knowledge of ponified art is extensive, at all.

For the drawing, it looks like you definitely went for more shape. Some parts still seem a little flat, notably around the head regions, but I think you're improving quite a bit. Are you intending to colour it? (Also Santa seems to be paying no attention to Derpy, as if these things go by on the conveyor belt every day. From the elf's expression I might expect surprise or something, not complete obliviousness. Mind you that would take a bit more to change).
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-12-28 at 04:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Troll in the Playground

For the drawing, it looks like you definitely went for more shape. Some parts still seem a little flat, notably around the head regions, but I think you're improving quite a bit. Are you intending to colour it? (Also Santa seems to be paying no attention to Derpy, as if these things go by on the conveyor belt every day. From the elf's expression I might expect surprise or something, not complete obliviousness. Mind you that would take a bit more to change).
    I see what you mean. Santa's expression was supposed to be a more amused "Oh, you!" kind of look. I'll see what I can do with it.

And yeah, I'm going to colour it. I picked up a few tips from a tutorial video that I'm hoping to use.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ogre in the Playground

So, stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 175: Another sort of copy from a game book (WH40K? I forget).
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 176: A dwarven tactician or priest, sort of copied from the Legend rulebook.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 177: A skeleton being hit by some sort of magical blast. Original composition, but loosely based on the images from the disintegrate and older incinerate MTG cards.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 178: Yarr!
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 179: Got home late because of the opera. With limited time, drew this. Pretty obvious which opera it was.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 180: Another one of the Starswirl collection.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 181: A Khadorian warcaster, copied from a book.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 182: Merry (now belated) Christmas!
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 183: Got those drawing pencils. Tried drawing an eye with them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 184: A man's head. Messed up a fair bit on this one (it was originally supposed to be an old woman as well).
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 185: Another try at the eye.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 186: This makes more sense if you know that I visited the Sagrada Familia that day. (The columns on the inside are meant to look like trees, see the image here).
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 187: Today, another sort of copy from a Warmachine book.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 188:

More Yarr. Doing short time today.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20 minutes
    Music: None
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2012-12-30 at 05:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Troll in the Playground

So, stuff.
    Very good stuff!

Anyway, here's the coloured version of that picture. Shading was involved, but me and shading don't get on well, just so you know.

No BG because I can't think of one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not going to claim I pay any real attention to it in my own work, but one thing strikes me.

I have no idea where the light is coming from in the picture there.

The characters seem to be lit from above, and/or towards the camera. The cylindrical hatbox from the right, but it's shadow from the left. The box matches it's own shadow, but seems lit from above and to the left, somewhere past and behind Santa.

However, shading weirdness aside, the colours are good, and it really brings it all together nicely, I get a much stronger sense of "Oh, you!" from Santa.
    Also, best present.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Troll in the Playground

Day 188:

More Yarr. Doing short time today.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20 minutes
    Good to see you're keeping up with things! I would suggest you work on faces though, I see some issues with your facial proportions, especially in things that seem to be done from memory. Good news is that there are a ton of face pictures available via Google image search if it's something you decide to practice. There are also a lot of good tutorials and books on the subject, although I don't have any handy for linking right now.

Very good stuff!

Anyway, here's the coloured version of that picture. Shading was involved, but me and shading don't get on well, just so you know.

No BG because I can't think of one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The best advice I got with shading is to think of your drawing as consisting of simpler forms smashed together, and then try and shade those forms. So it isn't an arm or a torso, it's a cylinder with some oval lumps or a slightly puffed out rectangular prism. Also practice shading those simple forms in different lightings as part of your fundamentals to get something to build on.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

Good to see you're keeping up with things! I would suggest you work on faces though, I see some issues with your facial proportions, especially in things that seem to be done from memory. Good news is that there are a ton of face pictures available via Google image search if it's something you decide to practice. There are also a lot of good tutorials and books on the subject, although I don't have any handy for linking right now.
    Looking at it again, I would agree. The top and back of the head needs some rounding out a bit. He is supposed to be dead though, and with a massive underbite, so some of that disproportion is supposed to be there. Also, he seems to actually have an eye in the uploaded picture, which wasn't supposed to be the case.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not going to claim I pay any real attention to it in my own work, but one thing strikes me.

I have no idea where the light is coming from in the picture there.

The characters seem to be lit from above, and/or towards the camera. The cylindrical hatbox from the right, but it's shadow from the left. The box matches it's own shadow, but seems lit from above and to the left, somewhere past and behind Santa.

However, shading weirdness aside, the colours are good, and it really brings it all together nicely, I get a much stronger sense of "Oh, you!" from Santa.
    Also, best present.
    Yeeeeah. It started off with the light coming from the camera and then went up, I guess. Then the gift boxes had their own lights. I dunno. I was a bit annoyed because Photoshop was fighting me while I was doing it (you'd think that clicking the button to turn off the pressure sensitivity would do something but noooo) so I did what I usually do and said "Screw it. Good enough."

The best advice I got with shading is to think of your drawing as consisting of simpler forms smashed together, and then try and shade those forms. So it isn't an arm or a torso, it's a cylinder with some oval lumps or a slightly puffed out rectangular prism. Also practice shading those simple forms in different lightings as part of your fundamentals to get something to build on.
    I guess I can try that. Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of tips, this tumblr (http://artiststoolbox.tumblr.com/) has loads of little tutorials and things gathered within. Well worth a look.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

Yeeeeah. It started off with the light coming from the camera and then went up, I guess. Then the gift boxes had their own lights. I dunno. I was a bit annoyed because Photoshop was fighting me while I was doing it (you'd think that clicking the button to turn off the pressure sensitivity would do something but noooo) so I did what I usually do and said "Screw it. Good enough."
    I've found it interesting as I slowly try to mend my ability to create, rehabilitate it, to experiment with solid, flat colours. I'm not sure experimenting with them has been helpful as such, but it's certainly been interesting. It also helps, because I really don't seem to be able to do any kind of meaningful lineart with my Tablet (possibly psychological), so smudging big blobs of colour around with a simple, flat round brush is a way of getting round that, more like painting than drawing and apparently I can work with that.

The real test will be once I've polished up the flat colour version of what I blocked out in the "Beyond the Everfree Forest" pic I put the rough up of, and done the next basic splodgy form of lighting because the plan is to take it past that stage and turn it into some kind of actual shading or something. Will have to see how that goes.

All that said, the whole flat colour lighting thing I've been messing around with does make it slightly easier to try and consider where the light should be coming from, though I'm super lax about that even now.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Banned

Thanks to the wonders of coffee, I have finished another row.

Spoiler
    Show
    Changed my mind. Thrilled is cutest face.

Day 172:

A mimic. Are they ever any other shape besides chests?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Under an hour.
    Yep. Seen mimic houses, mimic floors, a mimic outhouse once, doors,ceilings, board with a nail in it, table and chair set, and a swarm that swam the high seas as a whaling ship, kept satiated by consuming the fish and barnacles that got too close.

Poni poni poni

Scribbles
    Spoiler
    Show

Dammit robot, now I'm jealous and want to draw. You did that on purpose!

Well, considering there were only two faces left to add, I'd hardly call this update worth the wait, but the ABC Expression Meme, Robo-Ponithid edition is finally complete.

Spoiler
    Show

I finished it, instead of sleeping. Because pony, that's why.

So, yes. Super-duper early work in progress blocking out thingy of project "Beyond the Everfree Forest".
    Spoiler
    Show

The vaguely pony shaped orange smudge being the first image of a canon pony I've drawn, funnily enough.
    What's up with the porny face?
    "oh yeah, the eyeball, rub it just like that~"

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

She is embarrassed and pointedly not looking, sheilding her eyes etc.

Robo Ponithid is a good poni.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Banned

She is embarrassed and pointedly not looking, sheilding her eyes etc.

Robo Ponithid is a good poni.
    Well! That would be a fun discussion but hits philosophy at a decidedly religious angle. So I'll settle for...

"Yes you are~!" *pets roboponithid*

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you're free to discuss it with her, but I have no idea what type of thread if any would be appropriate for discussing the philosophical implications of Robo Ponithid's reaction to implied eroticism.

I suppose if you have a question, you could always prod her Tumblr. (It was created to go alongside the Ponythread Tumblr, still exists and unlike Ponythread Tumblr, I have access to it.)

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Troll in the Playground

Looking at it again, I would agree. The top and back of the head needs some rounding out a bit. He is supposed to be dead though, and with a massive underbite, so some of that disproportion is supposed to be there. Also, he seems to actually have an eye in the uploaded picture, which wasn't supposed to be the case.
    *nods*

I actually wasn't thinking of a specific picture, although I was quoting that one to make it clearer who I meant. I'm one to talk, since I need to work on faces a ton myself, but especially since you seem to enjoy character drawings, I'd suggest working on it sooner rather than later. I think it'll really strengthen some pictures which are already looking good as-is.

Yep. Seen mimic houses, mimic floors, a mimic outhouse once, doors,ceilings, board with a nail in it, table and chair set, and a swarm that swam the high seas as a whaling ship, kept satiated by consuming the fish and barnacles that got too close.
    This might be the most horrifying concept I've entertained so far today. Bravo.

Dammit robot, now I'm jealous and want to draw. You did that on purpose!
    Actually, I'm jealous of myself right now. I have trouble drawing poni away from my tablet, and drawing generally has been spotty over the holidays.

Spoiler
    Show