New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    ... and a swarm that swam the high seas as a whaling ship, kept satiated by consuming the fish and barnacles that got too close.
    That actually sounds amazing. Was that part of a campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Well, you're free to discuss it with her, but I have no idea what type of thread if any would be appropriate for discussing the philosophical implications of Robo Ponithid's reaction to implied eroticism.

I suppose if you have a question, you could always prod her Tumblr. (It was created to go alongside the Ponythread Tumblr, still exists and unlike Ponythread Tumblr, I have access to it.)
    :O I don't remember you saying she had a tumblr! Link?

Oh, and speaking of tumblr, I have one too now. Or rather, I've decided to post things on it, instead of just anonymously follow people.

And I've decided I'm going to try this 30 day monster girl challenge. 30 days, 30 different monster girls. Or guys. I'm flexible. Should be fun. Or infuriating. One or the other.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure I ever actually said it existed.
    I did reblog/whatever the word is all the pictures I did that Strife Warzeal uploaded to Ask Ponythread though, so there were traces.

It's been pretty neglected since before Robo-Ponithid's day, though. She's kind of inherited it. Then not really done anything with it.

For a split second there, I was tempted to try the monster girl challenge myself. But ha, thirty whole pictures? It was all I could do to manage 30 different faces in twice that time.

EDIT - Well, maybe just the one.

Spoiler
    Show

It's funny, because Harpy-Chan is a Flapper girl.
    ha-haaa...
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-12-31 at 10:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: Hrmph, sorry for the excess of text here.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Well, you still need to do some anatomical work, but really, everyone does (some bird anatomy wouldn't have gone amiss here either). Arms and wings look to small and thin to support the weight as well. I would say your lines seem to be much less wavy and more sure of themselves. (And the wings look like wings, despite their flaws).

----

Day 189 (late):

I didn't plan out the 31st as well as I could have. A plane ride, followed by a drive and then late dinner, with approaching new years, and I suddenly realized I didn't really have a good time to draw before the day was done. Snuck away from the festivities to draw this, intending to do the same a few more times. It didn't happen, so I was left with this disappointing abortion to end the year.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: One or two minutes.
    Music: None

----

Day 190:

And started the new year with this. As for the_druid_droid's (timely) comment about always drawing characters, I never really thought about doing buildings, because the always thought of them as large and therefore time consuming to draw. After seeing a few pictures of simple buildings around the house we were staying at though, I decided to do this one. Started with just the one tower, and it sort of went from there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40 minutes

----

Day 191:

I'm anticipating Diego's slime monster, as well as the satyr (will he make a strange female one?). Decided to get in on the fun. Reminiscient of many artistic interpretations of the devil.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 15-20 minutes
    Music: Pony
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-02 at 06:11 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Well, you still need to do some anatomical work, but really, everyone does (some bird anatomy wouldn't have gone amiss here either). Arms and wings look to small and thin to support the weight as well. I would say your lines seem to be much less wavy and more sure of themselves. (And the wings look like wings, despite their flaws).
    Anatomical work is definitely a priority. Honestly, I think I need to just set aside an hour or two and just draw torsos non-stop, then move on to arms. And my lines are better because I swtiched from Photoshop to a program with a line stabilizer. Can't take all the credit for that.

I think your building is good! Though, the windows at the top of the tower look a bit wonky.

I'm having trouble seeing what's in your devil pic. I see the face but I'm not sure what its attached to.

Anywho, day 2. The centaur. I've drawn ponies and horses before. How hard can it be?

Link.
    Spoiler
    Show

tiny hands lol.

I tried doing clasped hands. I don't know why. The human part could probably stand to be larger compared to the horse part, I'm not sure. Basic anime face, and lets face it, those boobs don't look right. The horse body is simplified, perhaps too much, I'm not sure, but I think the legs are okay. Maybe the rear legs are too close together.

Next one will be better, I'm sure.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Dwarf in the Playground

EDIT: Hrmph, sorry for the excess of text here.
    As a part time lurker, the text. It is a good thing to read. Explainations of what someone was thinking when they were drawing and how it came about are always interesting to read to me.
    And for people who don't like it is easy to skip to the image.

And started the new year with this. As for the_druid_droid's (timely) comment about always drawing characters, I never really thought about doing buildings, because the always thought of them as large and therefore time consuming to draw. After seeing a few pictures of simple buildings around the house we were staying at though, I decided to do this one. Started with just the one tower, and it sort of went from there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40 minutes
    I like your building(s). You should make more buildings. It's nice to have simple but nice buildings to shade at times. The first tower is the strongest even with the slightly wonky window work. Nit-pick, the bottom left building is odd though, I cannot tell if that is a staircase attached to it as the shading and form doesn't seem that clear to me.

Anatomical work is definitely a priority. Honestly, I think I need to just set aside an hour or two and just draw torsos non-stop, then move on to arms.
    You might also think about doing some basic proportion exercises. I mean just basic stick/ball/box figures for the major joints and limbs to help get the ratios right. I have a lot of trouble with this and doing exercises like this sometimes helps.
    Nit-pick.
    Spoiler
    Show
    On your harpy figure to me it seems like the thigh part of the leg is far to long in proportion to the below-the-knee part of the leg and indeed, compared to the whole body. You can generally get away with the bottom part of the leg being a bit too long in abstract stylistic things like comics/cartoons/mangas but if the thigh is longer then the bottom it generally looks rather weird.

And my lines are better because I swtiched from Photoshop to a program with a line stabilizer. Can't take all the credit for that. [/SPOILER]
    Bringer of falsehoods! The line-stabilizer is witch-craft!

Spoiler
    Show

C-18-19, or "A new year, some art. Yay."

Spoiler
    Show
    Doodled a harpy as well.

C-18, "She really can't wait to meet the adventurers I guess."
    Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/lt1rm.jpg

This pop-eyed enthusiastic harpy can't wait to engage the enemy in a random encounter. She has spent her whole life practicing for her minute of glory.
    What can I say? It's a doodle. The feet are wonky, the wings lazy. The shading was done in 3 minutes though, I like to think of it as my new-old three minute crappy blotchy shading technique.

Working on a Applejack picture.

C-19, "(One of) Applejack's Secret Hobbies" or "Drawing ponies is hard, even for ponies."

Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/onD5k.jpg

Based on AJ's scribbles from the last episode. I loved those far more then I really should have. Another rustic AJ scene. This time in a barn. This consisted of me doodling a scene in 30 minutes and thinking, "You know what? Why don't I color this mess?!!" And then throwing up all over the canvas. Today I managed to get it down to something manageable, but it still needs to be cleaned I guess. And AJ's shadow needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2013-01-03 at 12:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

Yesterday was a naga actually. The snakey bits are lighter/darker than the surrounds (and hard to see in the blown up digital picture), a bit coiled behind the head, a section showing between the bushes, and two parts wrapped around the back of the left tree. The devil comment came from the former being shown on occasion in as a woman with a snake body in renaissance paintings of the Fall of Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    I like your building(s). You should make more buildings. It's nice to have simple but nice buildings to shade at times. The first tower is the strongest even with the slightly wonky window work. Nit-pick, the bottom left building is odd though, I cannot tell if that is a staircase attached to it as the shading and form doesn't seem that clear to me.
    Yeah, its a staircase, and looking back probably the most difficult part, which I didn't spend much time on. I'll look into doing more buildings sometime.

C-18-19, or "A new year, some art. Yay."

Spoiler
    Show
    Doodled a harpy as well.

C-18, "She really can't wait to meet the adventurers I guess."
    Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/lt1rm.jpg

This pop-eyed enthusiastic harpy can't wait to engage the enemy in a random encounter. She has spent her whole life practicing for her minute of glory.
    What can I say? It's a doodle. The feet are wonky, the wings lazy. The shading was done in 3 minutes though, I like to think of it as my new-old three minute crappy blotchy shading technique.

C-19, "(One of) Applejack's Secret Hobbies" or "Drawing ponies is hard, even for ponies."

Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/onD5k.jpg

Based on AJ's scribbles from the last episode. I loved those far more then I really should have. Another rustic AJ scene. This time in a barn. This consisted of me doodling a scene in 30 minutes and thinking, "You know what? Why don't I color this mess?!!" And then throwing up all over the canvas. Today I managed to get it down to something manageable, but it still needs to be cleaned I guess. And AJ's shadow needs to be fixed.
    Tehee *grin*. That is pretty much the only response I have to these whenever I look at them. The harpy looks nice I think, and has some anime hair going on or something. And I'm sure they're not always adventurer fodder, though the way you put it is definitely an interesting take on the life of a random encounter monster.

----

Day 192:

More monstery stuff. Polyphemus's wife? Another one done quickly, not very clean.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20 minutes
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-03 at 06:10 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Troll in the Playground

Day 3.

Sorry, I haven't left myself much time today, so I'll respond to people tomorrow.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so, totally not doing the 30 day monstergirl challenge.
    And here's the second of the daily monstergirl challenges that I'm totally not doing.
    Spoiler
    Show

And the fixed Harpy Flapper-girl (Who I have just noticed still doesn't have a shadow. Oh well, tough.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 11:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ogre in the Playground

Long time no see. I'd have to say the stuff you just posted looks quite a bit different than before, the faces especially, and I think they look good. I'm wondering though, on the last face, if those dots are digital artifacts or a deliberate technique on your part.

----

Day 193:

And to prove I'm not doing the monster challenge, I did another building. This one is a copy though, from Eberron.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-04 at 11:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    I like colors of the second one so far, and there's not much I can say about the first, except that while I'm not a fan of the bulgy style it works a lot better with ponies than with people; also, I hope that modern sorta-mainstream-sorta-counter-culture-ish creepiness (ala Burton or Vasquez) the bulged, wide-eyed stares give is intentional!
    I wouldn't say it was intentional as much as it is a kind of quirk I've developed. It's not entirely unintentional either though. (And will probably remain part of Robo Ponithid's design, given, you know, robot eyes, even if I do try other things with other ponies).

See also, Larger version of my new avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

Day 4 - Naga
    Spoiler
    Show

Meh. Decided to do a side pose for this one, since I can’t remember the last time I did. It turned out okay, I guess.

Been trying out Paint Tool SAI. It’s kinda confusing so far.

You might also think about doing some basic proportion exercises. I mean just basic stick/ball/box figures for the major joints and limbs to help get the ratios right. I have a lot of trouble with this and doing exercises like this sometimes helps.
    Nit-pick.
    Spoiler
    Show
    On your harpy figure to me it seems like the thigh part of the leg is far to long in proportion to the below-the-knee part of the leg and indeed, compared to the whole body. You can generally get away with the bottom part of the leg being a bit too long in abstract stylistic things like comics/cartoons/mangas but if the thigh is longer then the bottom it generally looks rather weird.
    Yeah, I'll look into it.

Hehe, cute. I empathise with her. This stuff ain't easy.

I have been very unproductive recently, mainly because of video games I guess but also that voice in my head that tells me that I'll never be as good as I want to be:
    I empathise with this too.

saint nick 20 minute sketch drawring thing
    Might want to take that one down (no swears on the board).

some stupid thing for a stupid reply in some thread, a look into how I digital paint I guess
    Spoiler
    Show
    The end result is really good, but I can't help but laugh at stage 2. Sorry.

As usual, I must point out that figures should represent 3D objects; sure, (good) cartoons don't try to do everything to show that, but they do avoid some things that dispels the illusion quickly, like poor eye placement: with Derpy it looks like the eyes are stickers (though this might be an "optical illusion" as it were, because of the nose and the hair, that's still ultimately on you), while Sneasel's and the gambling pony's are shaped and sized in such a way that the 3D-ness of the heads are compromised.
    Hm. Noted. Though with the ponies, I was on a timer. That's my excuse anyway. I don't seem to notice this stuff as I'm drawing it.

Something one'd notice with the gifts is that it's not 3D, but rather projected axonometrically; not saying that's bad, but it's something to note.
    Axo-what now? *Googles* Oh. I get it. I think.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Firbolg in the Playground

I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Saw that when you posted it in the main thread a while back. Great stuff.

----

Day 194:

Undead mechani-centaur. Got my preliminary shading down before I realized I had to go, so it's not really complete (and I had already decided not to do the whole thing). Though I'm decently happy with what I've started out with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 minutes

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Troll in the Playground

A slightly simpler version.

Day 5 - Mermaid.
    Spoiler
    Show

Feminine faces continue to elude me.

Yeah, I couldn’t be bothered to finish the hands today. So sue me.

*sigh* I used to be good at hands.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 195:

Another day with PS. Taking the idea from Elemental's War from the avatar thread, I tried Famine. Looking at it, I think I should have bent the front leg a tiny bit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: about 2 hours
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-06 at 03:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Troll in the Playground

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it made me laugh at least.

And since we are getting to the end of the thread, perhaps in the next one, we should put all the links to tutorials and stuff people have found in the OP, for easy reference.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for that link!

Tehee *grin*. That is pretty much the only response I have to these whenever I look at them. The harpy looks nice I think, and has some anime hair going on or something. And I'm sure they're not always adventurer fodder, though the way you put it is definitely an interesting take on the life of a random encounter monster.
    Well, the harpies where all fodder in all the JRPGs I played.
    Which was sad, as I always liked harpies.
    Yeah, the hair was supposed to be somewhat feathery, then I thought, "Hey, why not give her a feather crest on her head?!", then it all turned into a jumbled mess of half-baked horrible design ideas.

Day 192:

More monstery stuff. Polyphemus's wife? Another one done quickly, not very clean.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nit-pick:
    It looks like the nose is flatter and has wide nostrils. If it does, I can't help but feel like I should be able to see more of the other nostril from this view.

Also, the giant-temple(?) picture is nice! :D
    But I will say that the fact that some of the lines aren't straighter on the stonework is really noticeable. Its up to you, but you could use a ruler when setting up the major horizontal and vertical lines on buildings. The lines on the temple columns look fine, it's just the straight horizontal ones which are noticeable.

I think I'm tempted to do this monster girl challenge thing at some point, but not in 30 days because I'm fickle like that; similarly with the ATG, I think it's about time I did the second one...
    I plan to do the monster girl challenge. But time constrants, meh. Probably in 60-90 days. :p

I have been very unproductive recently, mainly because of video games I guess but also that voice in my head that tells me that I'll never be as good as I want to be:
    I'm just throwing my cents were they aren't wanted, but I'll throw them anyway since I'm a fool and a buffoon like that. Will probably get charged with assault one of these days throwing around pennies like that.
    In my opinion, well, you make great stuff. *Very* good stuff. Especially in the vein of character design, style, and comic flow. Which is harder to learn or get a handle on.
    But I don't know how good you want to be, so honestly you might not ever be as good as you want to be. You might, you might not.

I guess it all boils down to why someone draws day to day, does one do it because they, at some level enjoy it, or is it to become better, to sharpen their skills to a point were you will be pleased with your work. Too much of the former is fine if they are just approaching art as a light hobby, but they probably won't get any better or just advance slowly. Too much of the latter is bad because people tend to get too discouraged and give up art. It seems like this plagues people who want a career in art or want to reach some skill level for some purpose, they are driven and often become very good, but because of various reasons they often give it up in the end if they reach a plateau in their skill set and are unsure of how exactly to become better.
    I guess a mixture of the two are best, but people seem to differ a lot on this.

unfinished fourth page (never gonna finish this...)
    I was looking forward to seeing how that one would turn out...

I hate painting because my method is stupid; I throw some misshapen blobs and tunnel vision from area to area, detail to detail, before arriving at a nice-looking thing; the proper way is to have a much less-misshapen, solidly structured blob of hue and value that you can zoom out and know what it's about, before chipping away at the details. You can see how it negatively affected the painting, as important facial elements aren't properly aligned with each other since I didn't properly construct it beforehand with a paint sketch or something.
    Just throwing an (probably bad) idea out there, but maybe you should work by brush sizes rather then by area? First start with the large brushes, then move to the smaller? You can, in theory, still do the tunnel vision, but this will force you to only get as much detail in as your brush size allows so you have to move on the next area. After you've done all the large brush size work, you zoom out and look at the picture, then go to whatever the next size brush size you want is and then go over the picture again. Until you reach the smallest brush size and then can do all the tiny details. Or something. If this even makes sense. It seems like that's what some people do on those speed paint videos sometimes.

[SPOILER]The clothing could use some weight and form; try making it, like, not a re-texture of the model so to speak.
    Yeah, I need to work on clothing... I have been drawing only naked ponies for awhile. I need to stop this madness!

Hehe, cute. I empathise with her. This stuff ain't easy.
    No it ain't! After I posted it I realized that her backleg position was wanky.
    Oh pony anatomy, why must you be so hard?!

Thanks for the tutorials!

And that's an epic spidergirl!
    A nit-pick on the Naga and Mermaid though, you might want to consider defining your arm joints and parts a bit more. The elbow and upper arm at least, as it is now, the limbs are sorta undefined and kinda like pony limbs.

Day 195:

Another day with PS. Taking the idea from Elemental's War from the avatar thread, I tried Famine. Looking at it, I think I should have bent the front leg a tiny bit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: about 2 hours
    Nice. He looks like he would talk like Igor, even if he doesn't have a hunchback, something about that hair and those eyes.
    Nit-pick: The front fore leg seems to be shorter then the other even though it's closer to the viewer which throws me off. Unless they were supposed to be crossed?

C-20, 21. Or "Must post in Ponythread..."
    Spoiler
    Show

C-20,

Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/T4TwA.jpg

Finished that doodling AJ picture, I'm sure there is still something wrong with it, those barrels look a bit funky because I butchered the perspective. But it is what is and I'm done with that. It's time to move on shuffle the deck and began again. The major thing I did was changed her backleg to become something actual possible with horse anatomy. Or at least somewhat close.

C-21,

Spoiler
    Show

http://i.imgur.com/8a0GL.jpg

This is a new old WIP, someone requested Shining Armor on a boat about to cast off with ponies working on the dock and so on. However, as I was working on it the focus changed to Cadance. So here's the nasty doodle, hopefully something will come of it other then pain and suffering.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2013-01-07 at 01:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice. He looks like he would talk like Igor, even if he doesn't have a hunchback, something about that hair and those eyes.
    Nit-pick: The front fore leg seems to be shorter then the other even though it's closer to the viewer which throws me off. Unless they were supposed to be crossed?
    (Frankenstien ponies added to ideas in back of head). Yeah, as I noted I should have bent the leg. He's meant to be walking slowly.

This is a new old WIP, someone requested Shining Armor on a boat about to cast off with ponies working on the dock and so on. However, as I was working on it the focus changed to Cadance. So here's the nasty doodle, hopefully something will come of it other then pain and suffering.
    Ooooh, pretty. Though considering they don't appear to have cast off yet, Shining Armour seems like he's just striking a pose for his wife or something. Too dramatic a pose for a still ship. Forget the pain and suffering, you should finish this one I think.

And now for something completely different.

----

Day 196:

So... I was procrastinating, not having many ideas on what to draw. Then I thought to myself "Well all these people have their fancy tablets, but I'm pretty sure you can paint just fine with a mouse." Cue several hours disappearing. I produced an apple, and now my hand is very sore.

This was really, really educational. And the finished product isn't so bad either for a first time actually painting anything (all my other stuff in PS has been with paths, and flat colours).

Anyhoo, the apple (original is on the right, as with a lot of my stuff this is merely a copy):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: A little under two hours?
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-07 at 12:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Troll in the Playground

Bugger, blast, damn and hell! I wasted so much time on the internet after I got back from work that I forgot to draw my monster. *sigh* I've done a sketch at least. I'll finish it tomorrow.

Wait... why does it matter? I'm not on a timer, or being tested... I can afford to miss one day, right?

Oh, but I did find some nifty pose references today. These will be MOST useful.

Well, it made me laugh at least.

And since we are getting to the end of the thread, perhaps in the next one, we should put all the links to tutorials and stuff people have found in the OP, for easy reference.
    Heh, I'm glad.

Putting stuff in the OP sounds good, but I'm not going through the entire thread to find all the ones posted. x_x

Thanks for the tutorials!

And that's an epic spidergirl!
    A nit-pick on the Naga and Mermaid though, you might want to consider defining your arm joints and parts a bit more. The elbow and upper arm at least, as it is now, the limbs are sorta undefined and kinda like pony limbs.
    You're welcome!

Arms are yet another tough part for me. The shapes are so subtle sometimes. I'll work on them a bit more.

Love the AJ pic, looking forward to the boat pic.

Anyhoo, the apple (original is on the right, as with a lot of my stuff this is merely a copy):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: A little under two hours?
    One thing I notice is that the shading makes it look a bit too angular in places. I mean, I can tell there's an angle on the apple, but in yours it looks a bit sharp.

Other than that it looks very good!

HUGE EDIT

Adobe is now giving away CS2 for FREE. You want Photoshop, Illustrator and all those other goodies? Go get 'em. (disclaimer: site was down last time I visited. Be patient.)
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2013-01-07 at 06:59 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

Bugger, blast, damn and hell! I wasted so much time on the internet after I got back from work that I forgot to draw my monster. *sigh* I've done a sketch at least. I'll finish it tomorrow.

Wait... why does it matter? I'm not on a timer, or being tested... I can afford to miss one day, right?

Heh, I'm glad.

Putting stuff in the OP sounds good, but I'm not going through the entire thread to find all the ones posted. x_x

You're welcome!

Arms are yet another tough part for me. The shapes are so subtle sometimes. I'll work on them a bit more.

Love the AJ pic, looking forward to the boat pic.

One thing I notice is that the shading makes it look a bit too angular in places. I mean, I can tell there's an angle on the apple, but in yours it looks a bit sharp.

HUGE EDIT

Adobe is now giving away CS2 for FREE. You want Photoshop, Illustrator and all those other goodies? Go get 'em. (disclaimer: site was down last time I visited. Be patient.)
    On the week my computer stops working? Very funny universe. Very funny.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Troll in the Playground

Nice! I also stumbled on some pose references today, for those who like to use models:

http://senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/

I can go thread-diving this weekend, maybe, and either send a list to the OP, or do it myself if I wind up OP again.

You're welcome!

Have you considered trying to exaggerate their curves and straight lines for a few pictures? Might give you a better feel for how they're constructed.

HUGE EDIT

Well sure, I'll take a copy of Illustrator 2!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that transition is the part that I'm the least happy about.

HUGE EDIT

Be aware that you still need a valid serial number, which admittedly probably isn't too hard to find; but I don't need Illustrator that badly to bother.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Someone on tumblr
    Ah, you didn't know? The whole free CS2 thing was actually bad wording by Adobe. They aren't actually free, sadly, but just about everyone on the internet, even news sites for artists and photographers thought they were.
    Well crud.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1437

HUGE EDIT

...YES.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter
    Be aware that you still need a valid serial number, which admittedly probably isn't too hard to find; but I don't need Illustrator that badly to bother.
    ...NO.

Aaaanyway, for those of you who don't know about it, Ask Pitch Patch is an excellent tumblr with a gritty feel to it. It centers around the relationship between Pitch Patch--a pony with Stockholm's Syndrome--and Butcher, the pony holding her captive. Butcher is a scientist, researching cutie marks by cutting them off his subjects, occasionally transplanting them onto others.

Recently, the mod asked for OC's to serve as victims. The way I figure, a borderline-claustrophobic pegasus who hates to be touched should make an excellent victim.

So, I drew it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

The expression works well. Front legs appear to be a little off though, missing a section or two (or he can fold them up really, really well). The sharp angle by the tail is a bit strange as well. Also, the cake is a Pinkie?

----

Day 197:

One pencil, 20 minutes no frills. Flying back to Canada tomorrow, and spent all day today looking at cars at VW's car city; I need to pack.
    Spoiler
    Show

Since I'm in the north though, none of the Germans ever dressed like that, but the southern clothing is more distinctive.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-08 at 06:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

Serial number is in the column on the far right hand side. I just copy/pasted and it installed fine.

Well crud.
    Admittedly, I've only had it for two days, but so far it hasn't bugged me to buy anything. I think you might be in the clear, particularly if you decline to register (seems to work fine without that anyway).
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

30. - Top - End - #1440

First off, thanks for both the praise and the advice.

The sharp angle near the tail is something I still need to figure out. I can get most nodes to look smooth, but the top-rear of the torso is still an issue for me. I've done what I can to make it look smooth and still mesh with the rear leg.

The legs look strange because although there is an elbow there, it's covered by the mane for the front leg and the chin for the back leg. The position was traced based off of Rainbow Dash's fetal position in Sonic Rainboom. Looking back, having a raised wing allows the elbow to be seen more clearly. Looking back also reveals the elbow that I forgot to put in.

Here is an edited version.
    Spoiler
    Show

The cake is a Pie!

As for your art:

It looks good. He's having a good old time swilling beer from his stein. However, I notice a few things that look out of proportion. For example, his left arm is much bigger than his right, especially around the corner. The right arm, especially around the wrist, looks somewhat puny and awkward in comparison.

Love the expression, though.