New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Still running behind.

I used pose references for these, so I think the anatomy is looking better already. ^^:

Day 7 - Plant Girl

Day 8 - Octomaid

EDIT:
    Did a 30 minute challenge today. I think it's okay. Nothing too special.
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2013-01-12 at 03:45 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Ooooh, pretty. Though considering they don't appear to have cast off yet, Shining Armour seems like he's just striking a pose for his wife or something. Too dramatic a pose for a still ship. Forget the pain and suffering, you should finish this one I think.
    I'll see what I can do about the pose, maybe something more contemplative. Or maybe eager to set off? Or maybe not. I'll see if it's possible to think of anything different that fits.

Also, the apple is very nice for a first try! But it looks a bit flat in places, the original seems more glossy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Love the AJ pic, looking forward to the boat pic.
    Having trouble actually consistently working on the boat pic. Laziness and procrastination strikes again!

Day 7 - Plant Girl

Day 8 - Octomaid

EDIT:
    Did a 30 minute challenge today. I think it's okay. Nothing too special.
    The limbs on these, especially the plant girl, are much better! :D
    That's some major improvement there.

Heh, silly Fluttershy, why don't you just start flapping your wings before you crash?

C-22, or "Centaurs are proud creatures."

Spoiler
    Show
    Trainers of heroes, mighty warriors, wise seers...

Spoiler
    Show

Link

Loosely based off of May from Shining Force II. A young proud centaur girl. Eating an apple.
    Lazy doodle is lazy. These are sadly the best horse legs I have ever made. Yeah, that's pretty pathetic.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2013-01-13 at 07:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    The limbs on these, especially the plant girl, are much better! :D
    That's some major improvement there.
    Well, yeah, but I pretty much just copied the pose refs I had. I think it'll be a while before I'm able do my own poses with good anatomy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Heh, silly Fluttershy, why don't you just start flapping your wings before you crash?
    Because her wings tend to seize up when she's frightened.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

Is... Diego doing... some sort of monster girl drawing challenge? o.o

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    I suggest trying to imply more volume next time; it looks like a paper cutout. Maybe make the pose less rigid and boring, more flowing, especially since she's supposed to be a snake.
    Well the pose was just me trying something out. I'm not really too sure how to imply volume without shading, which I can't be bothered with right now.

That's really no excuse, especially if the timer is 30 minutes.
    I draw slowly, okay?

now the stuff I've made
    Loving the first batch of monster girls there!

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Is... Diego doing... some sort of monster girl drawing challenge? o.o
    Eeeyup. Though I'm rather behind, so I've decided not to do it in 30 days and just take my time.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

Well the pose was just me trying something out. I'm not really too sure how to imply volume without shading, which I can't be bothered with right now.

I draw slowly, okay?

Loving the first batch of monster girls there!

Eeeyup. Though I'm rather behind, so I've decided not to do it in 30 days and just take my time.
    Go go go Diego, finish your drawing challenges! Woohoo! ^_^

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

Than I think you should work conscious of your speed. With some work I honestly think you could do better in 3-5 minutes in the future than with 30 now.
    I don't know about being always conscious of the time, but I do agree that you could probably be a lot faster. I don't know if you're doing a lot of pre-work that isn't in the final image, but I would place practising to get more time efficient as one of your priorities perhaps. I'd have to say, I'm very surprised at what I can get done in 40 minutes or so sometimes, and that was just from practice.

----

Anyways, after getting home I always seemed to be short on time and/or motivation for the first few days. Thus the first half of this is all crap, and not really worth looking at. I am getting back into the swing of things a little though, which is good.
    The scanner also doesn't seem to be attached to anything, and I can't find the cable anywhere, so I'm still taking photos with my phone. It does make the photos easier to upload, but quality suffers as you all know.

Spoiler
    Show

Day 198:

I spent most of the day in moving vehicles and only got out my sketchbook after I arrived at home, having been up for over 24 hours at this point. Thanks to the magic of international travel however, I had a wonderful 32 hour day to work with, so the challenge was not failed. Nonetheless its only a barely visible quick sketch of a Mountie with a flag riding a bear. I felt I needed to post it anyways despite the fact you can't see anything.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 199:

A baby husky, lying on a pillow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 200:

Worthless doodles, maybe like 5 minutes worth.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 201:

A simple sailboat outline.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 202:

The Rainbow Factory. My first time actually spending some time drawing since my return.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 203:

The Travelocity gnome. Since he seems like a swell guy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Days 204, 205, 206:

Gestures, gestures, gestures.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 207:

Abraham Lincoln.
    Spoiler
    Show

Day 208:

And today, a bulette from D&D.
    Spoiler
    Show

That feels better now that I've stopped being lazy and actually posted everything.

Now on to the second topic: tablets. I got reminded about them the other day when I found my work has a massive Wacom one (with a built in monitor and everything, I'm envious) for CAD work, and that I was going to look into acquiring one myself when I got back. So, any advice, suggestions, recommendations etc.? Or just a good place to start my research.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Colossus in the Playground

That feels better now that I've stopped being lazy and actually posted everything.

Now on to the second topic: tablets. I got reminded about them the other day when I found my work has a massive Wacom one (with a built in monitor and everything, I'm envious) for CAD work, and that I was going to look into acquiring one myself when I got back. So, any advice, suggestions, recommendations etc.? Or just a good place to start my research.
    The Wacom Bamboo Fun has served me well for the past year and a half and was relatively cheap. The edition I got came packaged with Corel Paint which is a simple but effective paint program.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-01-19 at 10:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Well, you're free to discuss it with her, but I have no idea what type of thread if any would be appropriate for discussing the philosophical implications of Robo Ponithid's reaction to implied eroticism.

I suppose if you have a question, you could always prod her Tumblr. (It was created to go alongside the Ponythread Tumblr, still exists and unlike Ponythread Tumblr, I have access to it.)
    Riiight. I dunno, I kinda abandoned tumblr when the pony thread one became self-contradicting and I couldn't be assed to actually sort out continuity lines.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    *nods*
    This might be the most horrifying concept I've entertained so far today. Bravo.
    You're welcome~!

Actually, I'm jealous of myself right now. I have trouble drawing poni away from my tablet, and drawing generally has been spotty over the holidays.
    Huh. Couldn't you do the same circles and lines on paper? If you don't like erasing, get a light blue pen. I have one, used it for an upside-down Charlotte that disappointed me, ripped out my heart and made me seriously work to internalize Thanqol's "don't try to succeed, try to get better" thing.

That actually sounds amazing. Was that part of a campaign?
    Not a successful one. All I remember is trying to recreate the giant consuming ship from Pirates of Dark Water. Dm didn't like the idea.

And I've decided I'm going to try this 30 day monster girl challenge. 30 days, 30 different monster girls. Or guys. I'm flexible. Should be fun. Or infuriating. One or the other.
    Sweet.

Bugger, blast, damn and hell! I wasted so much time on the internet after I got back from work that I forgot to draw my monster. *sigh* I've done a sketch at least. I'll finish it tomorrow.

Wait... why does it matter? I'm not on a timer, or being tested... I can afford to miss one day, right?
    No. Good gods no. Don't do that. I mean, you totally can, but! I'll do it tomorrow becomes I'll do it when I feel better becomes I'll do it next week becomes I'll never draw again because I can't keep up and I owe so many people aaarrgh. We don't want that for you.

Still; "Jog if you have to, run if you must, but at all other times go at your own pace."

Putting stuff in the OP sounds good, but I'm not going through the entire thread to find all the ones posted. x_x
    I could do it, but you'll either have to A) let me make the thread or B) be willing to receive updates. I could comb through stuff, throw it in a document and send You a fully formatted OP eventually though.

HUGE EDIT

Adobe is now giving away CS2 for FREE. You want Photoshop, Illustrator and all those other goodies? Go get 'em. (disclaimer: site was down last time I visited. Be patient.)
    Sweet. Gonna check that.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Serial number is in the column on the far right hand side. I just copy/pasted and it installed fine.
    May come to you for help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The Wacom Bamboo Fun has served me well for the past year and a half and was relatively cheap. The edition I got came packaged with Corel Paint which is a simple but effective paint program.
    Price range? 'start painting' 'do yoga/dancing' and 'find voice coach' are my immediate plans I can act on. And until I get home I can't computer search well, so yeah.

10. - Top - End - #1450

Price range? 'start painting' 'do yoga/dancing' and 'find voice coach' are my immediate plans I can act on. And until I get home I can't computer search well, so yeah.
    Like 130 dollars?

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

Like 130 dollars?
    Is that Australian dollars though?
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-20 at 07:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1452

Is that Australian dollars though?
    The Australian Dollar is worth $1.05 USD so I wouldn't worry :P

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Troll in the Playground

My "triumphant" return to drawing: Day 9, Demon girl. Another pose copied from stock. Feet are not good. I'll work on that. Front leg also looks poor. Other than that, it's okay. Need to work on faces too.

Overlapping shapes, lines that run along the contours of the 3D shapes along those overlaps is a simple trick (try drawing a twisted soap bar shape to see what I mean); adjusting the pose would make it easier to do that too, I think.
    I think I get what you're saying, yeah.

Than I think you should work conscious of your speed. With some work I honestly think you could do better in 3-5 minutes in the future than with 30 now.
    I don't know about being always conscious of the time, but I do agree that you could probably be a lot faster. I don't know if you're doing a lot of pre-work that isn't in the final image, but I would place practising to get more time efficient as one of your priorities perhaps. I'd have to say, I'm very surprised at what I can get done in 40 minutes or so sometimes, and that was just from practice.
    I appreciate the vote of confidence. I don't really know how to improve upon my speed though. Just try and draw faster? Or is there a trick?

No. Good gods no. Don't do that. I mean, you totally can, but! I'll do it tomorrow becomes I'll do it when I feel better becomes I'll do it next week becomes I'll never draw again because I can't keep up and I owe so many people aaarrgh. We don't want that for you.

Still; "Jog if you have to, run if you must, but at all other times go at your own pace."
    Tell me about it. I just can't trust myself.

I could do it, but you'll either have to A) let me make the thread or B) be willing to receive updates. I could comb through stuff, throw it in a document and send You a fully formatted OP eventually though.
    I'm okay with either really. I don't think we ever decided on who's making the new thread.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1454

I appreciate the vote of confidence. I don't really know how to improve upon my speed though. Just try and draw faster? Or is there a trick?
    Familiarity will naturally improve speed, but if you're developing some very slow habits it can be worth trying to acquire new ones. Try 30-second posemaniacs for an hour or two, it might provide some insight in how to capture the important essence of a picture in a quick sequence of lines.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Troll in the Playground

Familiarity will naturally improve speed, but if you're developing some very slow habits it can be worth trying to acquire new ones. Try 30-second posemaniacs for an hour or two, it might provide some insight in how to capture the important essence of a picture in a quick sequence of lines.
    Ooh, this Posemanics thing sounds interesting. I just might give it a go. Thanks.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

The Australian Dollar is worth $1.05 USD so I wouldn't worry :P
    Ah, yes, well then.

Just wondering, does Australia have the same problem as Canada where prices have not always adjusted from historical currency valuation vs the US dollar? Many things here (books being the most obvious since both prices are on the back) are still priced as if 1 CAD=.7 USD, as it was a decade ago.

Ooh, this Posemanics thing sounds interesting. I just might give it a go. Thanks.
    I've also been trying the other one that the_druid_droid linked earlier. It has the option of doing a "class mode," starting with quick poses, and then slowly giving more time after you've warmed up. The Posemaniacs is nice though since you can see the all the muscles, which helps some with the anatomy.

----

Day 209:

The cave. It came out with both less contrast, and more contrast, than I would have liked. Further exacerbated by the digitization, it's kind of puddle-like now. All the details I wanted got lost, and all the details I didn't showed up clearer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 minutes maybe?
    Music: Pony

I took a look around, and it seems like everyone is saying Wacom Wacom Wacom Wacom. Since I don't really need anything fancy, I figured I might try the Bamboo Splash. The Bamboo Create seemed possibly a little to large, and the little Intuo probably has more functionality than I'd need. I might head over to a store tomorrow and see if there any on display to try playing with first though.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-20 at 07:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1457

Links

Ah, yes, well then.

Just wondering, does Australia have the same problem as Canada where prices have not always adjusted from historical currency valuation vs the US dollar? Many things here (books being the most obvious since both prices are on the back) are still priced as if 1 CAD=.7 USD, as it was a decade ago.
    Yes. It's disgusting. A video game off Steam might cost $80, but if I get my American friend to gift it to me and paypal him the money it's $50. Other websites will price-discriminate if they think they can get away with it.

I wrote a 25-page business assignment on how to capitalise on that problem, incidentally.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-01-20 at 09:40 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. It's disgusting. A video game off Steam might cost $80, but if I get my American friend to gift it to me and paypal him the money it's $50. Other websites will price-discriminate if they think they can get away with it.

I wrote a 25-page business assignment on how to capitalise on that problem, incidentally.
    That's ridiculous. Mind-you, Steam bases prices off local ones as far as I know, so those cost increases are probably because it's expensive to ship physical disks all the way to Australia. Though you already know that I would think.

19. - Top - End - #1459

That's ridiculous. Mind-you, Steam bases prices off local ones as far as I know, so those cost increases are probably because it's expensive to ship physical disks all the way to Australia. Though you already know that I would think.
    Sure, I get that, but the advantage of a digital distribution platform is that it doesn't cost money to ship disks anywhere.

So I'm being held to ransom by brick-and-mortar stores that I don't use. Brick and mortar stores that charge $30 to ship a single CD from America to Australia. It's disgusting rent-seeking.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Banned

Links

A paper you still haven't shared! Nor have I heard about this Silver Ladder Manifesto you were born to write. You tease.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-01-21 at 10:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1461

A paper you still haven't shared! Nor have I heard about this Silver Ladder Manifesto you were born to write. You tease.
    The latter was a pen&paper exam which I don't have a copy of. If you'd especially like to read my business assignment, here.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

He was born to write it? Colour me intrigued.

As for that business plan, are you on track to launch in October, or was it just an assignment with no plan to carry through?

----

Day 210:

This was all done with one pencil, which of course makes it look not so great. I didn't really feel like doing fancy stuff today though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40 minutes
    Music: None

I also ordered a tablet today (online, since amazon was ten bucks cheaper than local brick and mortar), so hopefully it will show up friday or monday. I headed by there though to see if there were any on display I could see the size of, but unfortunately not.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Troll in the Playground

Day 10 - Succubus

Will do some posemanics at the weekend.

In other news, I've been drawing stuff on my 3DS and sharing it with friends. They are rubbish doodles done in a few minutes each, usually of pokemon. They are infinitely more fun than any kind of proper drawing that I've been doing.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Riiight. I dunno, I kinda abandoned tumblr when the pony thread one became self-contradicting and I couldn't be assed to actually sort out continuity lines.
    Uh, Continuity?
    It was Ponythread Tumblr. It had approximately the consistency and continuity of Ponythread. Which is to say that there never could have been. Ponithid's Tumblr is internally consistent but nothing really happened on-screen and it never got around to explaining anything. Possibly because the one question directed at it went through Ponythread Tumblr which was abandoned shortly afterwards when the moderator vanished, so if there was any chance of followup questions or interest it would presumably all be lost with Ponythread Tumblr itself.

Diego - Post them?

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Diego - Post them?
    Will do when I get a chance, but I need a computer with an SD card reader first. I think my mother's computer has one, so I'll check when I can.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright... I intend to post a few things up here at a later date for review. But first and foremost, I would like to say:

We look forward to working with you all to improve our pony-drawing skills, and hope that someday, our cave-pony concept sketches can come to life.
    I am everywhere.

There is no escape.

If I defeat enough of them, will I level up and evolve into a Golbat?

Almost forgot to thank Dirtytabs for this avatar!

Whoops!

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Zubat View Post
    Alright... I intend to post a few things up here at a later date for review. But first and foremost, I would like to say:

We look forward to working with you all to improve our pony-drawing skills, and hope that someday, our cave-pony concept sketches can come to life.
    Welcome, and welcome to the forums by the looks of it.

And is that a royal we or are you more than one person?

EDIT: That also reminds me, my pony ratio is getting very low. I should draw some.

----

Day 211:

A mansion house thing. I don't really have much to say about it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 35 minutes?

----

Day 212:

So my tablet arrived today. Two day shipping when it said 4-6 is kind of nice, especially since it was free. I like it so far, though I'm still getting used to it. I might try using it as an input device instead of a mouse too for a while. My only complaint seems to be that is scratches really easily (the centre of the surface is already pretty visibly worn). I don't know if that is normal with these things.
    Anyways, I drew a Pony.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1 hour

EDIT: And that's why I have to remember to put a white background in temporarily while working... So much stuff around the edges I didn't see... Especially that chunk missing from the leg.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-23 at 11:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Troll in the Playground

Tried my hand at that 30 seconds poses thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Lessons learned: ??????
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

Tried my hand at that 30 seconds poses thing.
    Lessons learned: ??????
    I believe the idea is to capture the attitude/basic posture of the subject, to the point where you no longer need the model and can fill the rest with your own mind. Someone can correct me on that probably. As mentioned before, I find doing them very relaxing.

----

Day 213:

I installed the painting program that came with my tablet today, and doodled around with it. It's actually kind of neat, I quite like the feeling of "painting," having the colours and textures as if you were working with oils. Anyways, I finished with this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: *shrug*

Only thing I don't like about it is that it is a pain to manoeuvre around your canvas. As far as I can tell, there are no shortcuts for zooming or moving horizontally, just up and down. You have to open a little window to do that.

EDIT: Hot sizzling Celestia, we're on page 50!
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-24 at 11:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Troll in the Playground

Abandon thread!

This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!