New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Vacom. Only Vacom. Also, while Bamboo is not their best brand, you should try to look for maximum affordable size, the smallest ones (10x15 cm) are not really suited to drawing...
    It's Wacom.

Also the no-name brands such as Genius are still alright, just don't expect them to have a good build quality. My first tablet was a no-name brand and it lasted...About a year and a half before rough treatment put it out of action.
    Getting no-name also allows you to get a larger tablet for less.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowySilence View Post
    Due to everyone's encouragement to post, and my finally defeating the beast of procrastination I am now posting my first pony-drawing ever!

*snip*

I am also throwing up some of my older art just because.

*snip*
    Your pony looks fine and very good for a first try. The biggest thing that seems off is how defined the back legs are compared to ponies on the show which are highly stylized if you know what I mean. Other then this, the head shape for a profile view seems a little off, but this is a small thing.

Put me in the camp that thinks your king Arthur is pretty dang good. I like his eyebrows for some odd reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    I will go through and see what has been done. but first, a little artwork.
    Done in... maybe 20-25 minutes? keep that in mind, please.

*snip*

Based on this:

*snip*

I think her head is a little long, and not quite wide enough. The way her hair is sitting is what i think makes her head look long...

Otherwise, I think I like using these deep,bold lines...

This is a good picture of Pinkamena for a twenty minute sketch!
    Take the following criticism with a jab of salt (just like all of my comments).
    My only real criticism is her hair, if you compare it to the picture it's based off of Pinkamena's mane on the back of her head and neck in your picture looks like it's being grabbed by a hand because it curves up then back down. While in the base picture each major strand flows in a single curve from a single point behind her ear. Sorry if this doesn't make much since, but I really don't know how to explain it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Well, I did some colouring. I attempted this so many times with varying results. I hate Flash. Drawing the lines in flash is fine but obviously colouring is another matter altogether. Still, I'm learning. Anyway, Trixie has flat colours but is currently sans shading (except for the eyes since that's just a simple gradient).

*snip*

Lines aren't thick enough, I know. Getting them to look right is kind of a chore I'll finish it properly later.
    Even without the shading I like it! The image really works, I really don't have anything to say as I am a novice with coloring, but I hope to see a shaded version soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I second the notion of getting a Wacom Bamboo Fun (Pen&Touch Medium here), I absolutely love the thing. It's also slim enough, and fits perfectly into my laptop case.

As for drawings, my progress has been slow lately (and what progress there was contains spoilers for the sequel to our fic (which I am still not sure will even happen), so I can't post it :( ), but I did draw a pony Kamina for the avatars thread.

If you haven't seen it already, repost:
    *snip*

I might do something more presentable if I find time this week.
    Wonderful as always! For some odd reason, I really like how you made the torso. It hints at a human's chest without going overboard.

Spoiler
    Show

Well, I finished the AJ and Big Mac vs the Cretan Bull picture,
    There's still dozen's of mistakes, but I'm done with this picture! Throwing in the towel to begin over again with something new with some lessons learned. I'm moderately satisfied with it.
    I decided to add some dust clouds, but I'm not sure if they add to the image or not.
    I really need to find some way to make cleaner line work.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    This is a good picture of Pinkamena for a twenty minute sketch!
    Take the following criticism with a jab of salt (just like all of my comments).
    My only real criticism is her hair, if you compare it to the picture it's based off of Pinkamena's mane on the back of her head and neck in your picture looks like it's being grabbed by a hand because it curves up then back down. While in the base picture each major strand flows in a single curve from a single point behind her ear. Sorry if this doesn't make much since, but I really don't know how to explain it better.
    No no, I think I can actually see what your saying. Her hair does look a little clinched near the back of her head. GaaaahhHH!!!!!!!!!

I Suppose I got lazy? No idea. I kinda just decided to make her hair look frizzy 'cause I wanted to go to bed.

But hey, I'm not going for complete accuracy to the original. Just good enough that i can be proud of myself. Now, to actually draw something WITHOUT a reference picture...

Spoiler
    Show

There's still dozen's of mistakes, but I'm done with this picture! Throwing in the towel to begin over again with something new with some lessons learned. I'm moderately satisfied with it.
    I decided to add some dust clouds, but I'm not sure if they add to the image or not.
    *snip*
    I love that picture, man! Almost seems like something that should happen in an episode..
    Bull in a China shop... Muwahaha....

Well, I did some colouring. I attempted this so many times with varying results. I hate Flash. Drawing the lines in flash is fine but obviously colouring is another matter altogether. Still, I'm learning. Anyway, Trixie has flat colours but is currently sans shading (except for the eyes since that's just a simple gradient).

Spoiler
    Show
    *Snip*

Lines aren't thick enough, I know. Getting them to look right is kind of a chore I'll finish it properly later.
    I like the outfit! Is it based on something, or is it one you came up with yourself?

4. - Top - End - #244

Spoiler
    Show

DUDE. That picture is bucking BAD-ASS. Needs to be my desktop. Nice work.

So, a few days ago in the IRC, I promised Braz a space-faring pony. There have been some setbacks, but today I deliver.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

No no, I think I can actually see what your saying. Her hair does look a little clinched near the back of her head. GaaaahhHH!!!!!!!!!

I Suppose I got lazy? No idea. I kinda just decided to make her hair look frizzy 'cause I wanted to go to bed.

But hey, I'm not going for complete accuracy to the original. Just good enough that i can be proud of myself. Now, to actually draw something WITHOUT a reference picture...
    Sorry for posting that detailed of a critique, it was only that the rest of the image (besides the head being long which you already noted) was very nice, so I had to nit pick at the imperfection. I really can't wait more of your stuff!

I love that picture, man! Almost seems like something that should happen in an episode..
    Bull in a China shop... Muwahaha....
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalbob View Post
    DUDE. That picture is bucking BAD-ASS. Needs to be my desktop. Nice work.
    Thanks for the kind words! This really means a lot to me, as I was having a horrible Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalbob View Post
    So, a few days ago in the IRC, I promised Braz a space-faring pony. There have been some setbacks, but today I deliver.
    *snip*

I know there is probably some story or reference behind this picture that goes over my head like a flock of pegasi, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the kind words! This really means a lot to me, as I was having a horrible Monday.
    Don't know if you were aware, Bakuel, but you got a spot in the latest EqD Drawfriends! Right here

Well deserved, I say! Hope that helps cheer you up!

In regard to my own drawing, I was going to scan in a sketch I did today (of something that was not pony, for once!) but the communal scanner in my building is borked, so instead have some studies in pony posture for my upcoming bet repayment to SiuiS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    In regard to my own drawing, I was going to scan in a sketch I did today (of something that was not pony, for once!) but the communal scanner in my building is borked, so instead have some studies in pony posture for my upcoming bet repayment to SiuiS:
    *snip*
    Once again your tablet work is very nice! I hope you do a complete picture with it soon!

Don't know if you were aware, Bakuel, but you got a spot in the latest EqD Drawfriends! Right here

Well deserved, I say! Hope that helps cheer you up!

Man, I really don't know what to say... My picture on Drawfriend! This is so incredibly awesome that I need to go to bed to stem these positive feelings before they make my head explode!
    Blast you ponies, you ruined my horrible day!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not going to be making any more contributions until Christmas when I get mah new tablet. I figure, given what Thanqol told me, it's best to start from scratch.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    I'm not going to be making any more contributions until Christmas when I get mah new tablet. I figure, given what Thanqol told me, it's best to start from scratch.
    Do note that not practising at all is worse than having to relearn some stuff. There's still plenty you can learn from lineart on P&P.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Once again your tablet work is very nice! I hope you do a complete picture with it soon!
    It may actually happen... My next project is probably going to be roughing out the positions for the D&D ponies of my bet and figuring out how to ink/clean up my images after I have the rough sketches done on the tablet.

Man, I really don't know what to say... My picture on Drawfriend! This is so incredibly awesome that I need to go to bed to stem these positive feelings before they make my head explode!
    Blast you ponies, you ruined my horrible day!
    Ponies have a way of doing that, eeeyup!

I would agree with what Thanqol said above on this. Practice is important no matter what the medium you're working with. At the very bottom, drawing is not so much about the mechanical details as it is about first learning to really see the things you're trying to draw, and that essential skill should transfer easily between media, even if getting your hands to move properly to express what you see takes a bit of extra practice. Also, drawing on actual paper has its advantages: you can grab a sketchbook or some loose paper and go out to find subjects to draw, without having to drag along a computer, power cable, etc.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    The lines are acceptable, actually, at least to my eye. What stands out to me is the rather too humanoid design of the upper torso/limbs. The stage-left shoulder almost looks like it's further away than the base of the neck, something you wouldn't normally see with the way a pony is structured. Still, that's only a minor thing given the cartoonishness of the show and characters, and otherwise that's a very fine drawing.

(better than what I could do in Flash last time I tried...)
    Yeah, I agree with you on the shoulder, now that I look at it. And I'm not sure now that the foreleg looks right either. Still, I'll learn from this. Thanks for the critique!

Even without the shading I like it! The image really works, I really don't have anything to say as I am a novice with coloring, but I hope to see a shaded version soon!
    Thanks very much! I'll try and have something finished by this weekend.

Spoiler
    Show

Truly awesome! Grats on getting on the drawfriend too ^^

I like the outfit! Is it based on something, or is it one you came up with yourself?
    It's based on this character. She's a stage magician, so it really seemed to fit Trixie's character.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Didn't draw as much as I'd like today, or better said, didn't draw as in-depth as I would like. Still, I did manage to work on some layout sketches for the D&D ponies project (still very stick-figurey though).

First idea:
    Spoiler
    Show

I liked the ruined city feel, and it's appropriate to the bet, as I was supposed to draw my most recent D&D session ponyfied. In that session, the players explored the ruined city of Irem and ran into the Big Bad for the first time in person.

The problem is that the ponies are too small in this one to make out fine details, even if I were to take this from loose sketch to final product, and that feels like cheating.

Second idea:
    Spoiler
    Show

The wall stayed in this picture, as a reminder of the ruined city, but I zoomed in on the party, and overall I'm much happier with the outcome, though the whole thing still needs to be scaled up.

The big question now is whether or not to do the final drawing on paper, or using the tablet. Both have pros and cons, and I'm not quite sure what the best choice is.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cross posting drawthreads because I can!

Hey look guys, I made a Derpy:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Do note that not practising at all is worse than having to relearn some stuff. There's still plenty you can learn from lineart on P&P.
    I kinda phrased that badly. I'll still be drawing occasionally, but I won't be making any ontributions to the thread. Especially since I only have notebook paper, and that show up badly.

Also, can I say again how much I loved that picture of Metal Mask punching a Ninja Turtle?

15. - Top - End - #255

It's based on this character. She's a stage magician, so it really seemed to fit Trixie's character.
    Phoenix Wright! Aw Yeah!

I've never actually played an Ace Attorney game and I still love him... That has to say something.

16. - Top - End - #256

I kinda phrased that badly. I'll still be drawing occasionally, but I won't be making any ontributions to the thread. Especially since I only have notebook paper, and that show up badly.

Also, can I say again how much I loved that picture of Metal Mask punching a Ninja Turtle?
    You can I find it gets even better when you see the picture I modelled off

You should give me more ideas for drawing stuff. Anyone should. I need ideas for drawing stuff. I've got spare time now.

17. - Top - End - #257

what you think about this sketch
    Spoiler
    Show

and final verzion? (inklued another backround, im not good in backround)
    Spoiler
    Show

i think bad, that eyes look... weird

and one think
    Spoiler
    Show
    Happy X-mass, girls and guys!
    link to my comic look at spoiler -Update 30.4.13

if you did not understand my contribution - to the cursed Google Talk (and my inability to learn foreign languages)
    Notice - if you lost PonyTars made by me, look here - >
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Akrim13/PonyAvatars/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ24

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

You can I find it gets even better when you see the picture I modelled off

You should give me more ideas for drawing stuff. Anyone should. I need ideas for drawing stuff. I've got spare time now.
    That is an awesome reference pic, I have to admit.

Also, if you're really desperate for ideas... Remember Tarin, my inquisitor character that was very Obrimos, Seer of the Throne-y? I intend to draw him at some point, but I'd be curious to see your take on him since we discussed him a bit already. In my mind, he looks a bit like Grand Moff Tarkin, but stuffed into Renaissance era Inquisitor's robes.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrim.elf View Post
    what you think about this sketch
    Spoiler
    Show

and final verzion? (inklued another backround, im not good in backround)
    Spoiler
    Show

i think bad, that eyes look... weird

and one think
    Spoiler
    Show
    Happy X-mass, girls and guys!
    The eyes might look a little more like the show if you outlined part of them with black to give an eyelash effect. I'd also consider making the back legs just a little bit longer.

Other than that, I like it! A Christmas moose-unicorn is a pretty cool idea

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Double-posting because I finally have a working scanner and I can show everyone what I was working on a day or two ago. I've been going through an instructional book on drawing, and one of the exercises is to try drawing something upside-down. I went with the example in the book, which is a drawing of Igor Stravinsky by Picasso.

Mine:
    Spoiler
    Show

The original:
    Spoiler
    Show

Not a perfect match, but I think it came out surprisingly well, considering how many lines there are to keep track of!

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

That is an awesome reference pic, I have to admit.

Also, if you're really desperate for ideas... Remember Tarin, my inquisitor character that was very Obrimos, Seer of the Throne-y? I intend to draw him at some point, but I'd be curious to see your take on him since we discussed him a bit already. In my mind, he looks a bit like Grand Moff Tarkin, but stuffed into Renaissance era Inquisitor's robes.
    Bam.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-11-23 at 09:35 PM. Reason: minor tweaks

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Bam.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oooh! Very nice! But I'm curious: what's that around his neck?

(Also, saved!)

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262

Oooh! Very nice! But I'm curious: what's that around his neck?

(Also, saved!)
    It's the symbol of the Ministry of Paternoster, the faction within the Seers of the Throne who serve the Father. They're basically the awful side of religion, the idea that everything is OK if God says so, that humanity is fundamentally wretched and awful and the best it can manage is a gibbering prayer to an allmighty Father, and that Holy War must be waged to destroy all blasphemers. The Paternoster believes in the Father, but not the Son or the Holy Spirit - those are lies told to Sleepers. Compassion and mercy are lies. You serve God because he is God, even if God is evil, even if "God" is merely an ascended human. And moreover, only the Chosen are allowed to worship God. If you taught the Sleepers how to pray to the Father, they'd get it wrong.

If you want to get an idea for how these guys think, I cannot say it better than Trent Reznor in his song, God Given.

"Faith is an unbreakable chain"

The entire album, Year Zero, is basically the soundtrack to the Seers of the Throne.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-11-24 at 01:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Also the no-name brands such as Genius are still alright, just don't expect them to have a good build quality. My first tablet was a no-name brand and it lasted...About a year and a half before rough treatment put it out of action.
    Getting no-name also allows you to get a larger tablet for less.
    If they work, you mean?

If they do, they're fine, but ever after I saw someone waste 6 hours to make Meridian tablet work with Photoshop, only to see Photoshop recognizes 1 level of pressure instead of promised 512 due to bug in drivers I came to believe nonames are not worth it. Unless there is some solid new model out there, of course.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

If they work, you mean?

If they do, they're fine, but ever after I saw someone waste 6 hours to make Meridian tablet work with Photoshop, only to see Photoshop recognizes 1 level of pressure instead of promised 512 due to bug in drivers I came to believe nonames are not worth it. Unless there is some solid new model out there, of course.
    Mine worked for me right out of the box after driver installs.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Mine worked for me right out of the box after driver installs.
    <shrug> What brand/model/size, if I may ask?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

<shrug> What brand/model/size, if I may ask?
    Unfortunately I have no idea as I recently threw it out. It died after a year of two of rough use. I can vouch for Genius being a fairly capable no-name brand although I've never used one myself I've heard good things.

If you really must have a wacom, ebay is a good place to look. I got an Intuos 3 Large (so an a4 active area) for under $300. Although I had to get a replacement cable for $50, that's still about half the price of a new one. It is also held together and working by electrical tape, but that's because I treat my tablets somewhat roughly.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, new day, new drawstuff!

Again, this one isn't a pony (although it's close); it was another upside-down drawing. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble scanning in the reference, so it'll just have to stand on its own for now.

Where now is the horse and the rider?
    Spoiler
    Show

I think the biggest issue is that the horse's face looks wonky. Part of the trouble is that I was trying to focus mainly on lines, rather than shading (that's a different lesson for a different day) but in the face, the lines and shading sort of play off one another, so it didn't come out as well as I'd like. The rest of it seems fairly solid to me, and I'm particularly happy with how the knobbly RL horse legs came out. (Never again will I complain about drawing MLP pony legs)

Fun fact: as I was working on the legs in this drawing, I realized that the horse is in a very similar pose to the noodle-leg RD I posted at the opening of this thread...

EDIT: So I was going to post my doodles of the Royal Guards that were part of my barding practice, but the computer winked out just as I was going to crop and save...ARGH!

Anyway, lesson learned, always save your files first.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-11-25 at 09:37 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Banned

Unfortunately I have no idea as I recently threw it out. It died after a year of two of rough use. I can vouch for Genius being a fairly capable no-name brand although I've never used one myself I've heard good things.

If you really must have a wacom, ebay is a good place to look. I got an Intuos 3 Large (so an a4 active area) for under $300. Although I had to get a replacement cable for $50, that's still about half the price of a new one. It is also held together and working by electrical tape, but that's because I treat my tablets somewhat roughly.
    What do you do to those things!?

I had a cat defecate on my tablet, and should I ever feel it's disinfected enough to touch, it would still work... Small, 8" across wacom though. Maybe it's brand power?

Ok, new day, new drawstuff!

Again, this one isn't a pony (although it's close); it was another upside-down drawing. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble scanning in the reference, so it'll just have to stand on its own for now.

Where now is the horse and the rider?
    Spoiler
    Show

I think the biggest issue is that the horse's face looks wonky. Part of the trouble is that I was trying to focus mainly on lines, rather than shading (that's a different lesson for a different day) but in the face, the lines and shading sort of play off one another, so it didn't come out as well as I'd like. The rest of it seems fairly solid to me, and I'm particularly happy with how the knobbly RL horse legs came out. (Never again will I complain about drawing MLP pony legs)

Fun fact: as I was working on the legs in this drawing, I realized that the horse is in a very similar pose to the noodle-leg RD I posted at the opening of this thread...

EDIT: So I was going to post my doodles of the Royal Guards that were part of my barding practice, but the computer winked out just as I was going to crop and save...ARGH!

Anyway, lesson learned, always save your files first.
    The horse face looks good to me. You'll notice that there's a huge difference between detailing with lines and detailing with color. Other than saying that I've got nothing.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    [color="darkgreen"]

What do you do to those things!?

I had a cat defecate on my tablet, and should I ever feel it's disinfected enough to touch, it would still work... Small, 8" across wacom though. Maybe it's brand power?
    The Wacom was actually in not amazing condition when it got to me, so I'm fairly innocent on that one. The no-name did a bit of world travelling and I was younger, so I thought I could do whatever with electronics and they'd be fine because I grew up with an N64 and gameboy colour.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

EDIT: I guess it's just your thread Ido. Sorry.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-11-25 at 10:02 PM.