New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest XXX: Voting Thread

This is a tough choice, but I'm voting for the Raysailor of Sol Invictus.

Also, thanks to Djinn, who tipped me off to this thread. I always miss the voting threads.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2011-11-07 at 05:19 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Say, Djinn, who did you PM anyway? I linked the homebrewers I am DMing a PbP campaign for (Welkneir, Pyromancer, Realms of Chaos, Bhu and Owrtho), but a PM would likely serve the purpose of alerting them to voting better.

I do wonder how many people actually look at people's signatures though, considering I've had the link in my sig for a week and only five votes were cast in that time. o.O
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Say, Djinn, who did you PM anyway? I linked the homebrewers I am DMing a PbP campaign for (Welkneir, Pyromancer, Realms of Chaos, Bhu and Owrtho), but a PM would likely serve the purpose of alerting them to voting better.
    DracoDei, Karoht, Kobold-Bard, The Tygre, Twilight Muse, Gnorman, Golden-Esque, GuyFawkes, Mulletmanalive, T.G. Oskar, Deth Muncher, Eldan, ideasmith, JoshuaZ, Person_Man, DracoDei, Kellus, Owrtho, Temotei, Zeta Kai, boomwolf, NeoSeraphi, Realms of Chaos, Thrice Dead Cat, Ziegander...

...and a few others just now.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-11-07 at 08:48 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok... Brief feelings on those I'm not going to give my vote to but came really close...

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati
    I really liked this. You were beaten out by discriptive text, if you can believe that. The class is nice, clean and interesting from day one with two useful abilities at each level.

I wasn't a fan of the recharge mechanics, though, i would have preferred it to be a ritual, simply to bring it into line with other classed; in my games, hiding to gather a bit of sun power would work nicely as there are universal recharge mechanics, here, it suffers in that it feels pointless and then you don't get that "five minutes to catch my breath" feel that other encounter recharge classes have, which is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raysailor of the Sol Invictus
    You know what actually lost me on this one? The spellcasting, and for completely different reasons to my usual "i don't like spellcasting" stance. No, in this case, it was that the class features are so freaking awesome and interesting that i adored them. Then i thought about the play experience and felt like it would get sidelined for my spellcasting a lot of the time.

I came clattering to a halt on that. I feel like it's an utter injustice, but if this had beem more limited in its casting [balance i know but feel here] or was using mysteries or invocations, it would have won. As it is, the light of the awesome class features seems to gutter in comparison to the power of D&D spellcasting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga
    Honestly, because it has one of my pet design peeves in the table, this couldn't get my vote. If you had included the features from the polarity in the table, perhaps with two extra columns to show the light and dark powers, it would have been in the running.

As the point of the table is to help me level up, not telling me things in the table is a bad thing. It's a fine and interesting class, none-the-less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight's Guide
    Damn it Djinn! You just have a talent for writing that wierd mid of dark and slightly hopeful that really sucks me in. I knew this was my favourite entry by the end of the first line and that feels so unfair.

I would have liked to see more scaling on the capstone, and possibly a brief dispelling option [driving a wedge between them as t'were], and it's power level is above my own gaming choices, mostly via telekinesis' spell form, but it's a caster prestige actually worth trading in those spell levels in for [at least to me], so it wins.
    I cast for Twilight's Guide
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, looked through the classes. I think this time I'll vote for the Twilight Guide. I rather like the fluff, and happen to like the concept of guide-like characters, as some homebrew of mine might imply. That said, my one main qualm with it is the wording of the Guarded by Death ability would seem to grant immunity to special attacks and supernatural abilities an undead gains from class levels or other sources completely unrelated to its undead nature, which seems outside the intent.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I do wonder how many people actually look at people's signatures though, considering I've had the link in my sig for a week and only five votes were cast in that time. o.O
    If there's a quote in it, i read that and move on. That's it. I think mine is too long but i need the contest link.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn it Djinn! You just have a talent for writing that weird mid of dark and slightly hopeful that really sucks me in. I knew this was my favourite entry by the end of the first line and that feels so unfair.
    ...Wow. This is among the best praise I've ever gotten for a piece of homebrew.

In other news...

Thanks to the many homebrewers who answered Morph Bark and my requests for more votes. It's great to see the community come out in force to support these contests when it's needed, and I hope to see many of you either voting in the future or (better yet) competing. <3 you all!

That being said, The voting ain't done yet. And it's rather neck-in-neck at the moment, so keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-11-07 at 08:47 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    It's great to see the community come out in force to support these contests when it's needed, and I hope to see many of you either voting in the future or (better yet) competing. <3 you all! [/b]
    Speaking of competing...

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Yep. But my design partner has no internet access for a few weeks at least, so I'm sort of stymied from participating without him.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Meant to vote in here sooner but it was hard to pick one to be the best. There are lots that are very well-made and solid both in fluff and mechanics. Oh well, I'll just have to fall to my bias and vote on the one I'll probably be using first, and that's the Ikaruga.

Edit: Also, it wouldn't be so bad as to send PMs for future invitations to join/vote for these events, as I sometimes fail to find these threads. Even if I can't join (mostly due to RL happenstance) I really love reading through the creations of those who do join, and being new to homebrewing, I really learn a lot.

Thanks.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2011-11-07 at 11:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Pity that the one that caught my eye at first didn't make the cut for the voting thread and I'm honestly flattered that I was contacted for this.

My vote has got to be cast for the Twilight's Guide though.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

...we now have a three-way split in votes. xD (And I am not voting myself for obvious reasons.)

At this point I'm starting to think there is no single winner here.

Momentarily closed while I think of what to do. Feel free to pitch in your thoughts.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-11-08 at 05:21 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

So the choice is now between the following:
    1. Extend voting for another day or two (never needed to happen more than once per voting thread).
    2. Have more than one winner (never happened, voting was always extended in such cases).
    3. Cut off votes past a certain point (unfair to the voters and those they voted for).

I actually tried to recount the votes several times because so many people didn't bold their votes, making it harder to count them. :/

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

I would, extend the vote for another day & PM others for their opinion, but that's just me.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    I would, extend the vote for another day & PM others for their opinion, but that's just me.
    Problem is that most of my PMs have already been sent, so most active homebrewers already got a message. That means that we're probably in the realm of personal friends, and I intentionally didn't PM any personal friends. And we can't ask Morph to do the traditional tie-breaker, for obvious reasons.

I vote we try to pull in ErrantX for a tiebreaker, or declare no real winner.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I vote we try to pull in ErrantX for a tiebreaker, or declare no real winner.
    I vote we try to pull in ErrantX for a tiebreaker, or declare the three as winners.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm down for Errant breaking the tie.

But yeesh, a 3 way tie? That's awesome.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Problem is that most of my PMs have already been sent, so most active homebrewers already got a message. That means that we're probably in the realm of personal friends, and I intentionally didn't PM any personal friends.
    I actually didn't think about it that way, but the personal friends I poked who voted didn't vote for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    I'm down for Errant breaking the tie.

But yeesh, a 3 way tie? That's awesome.
    It truly is. Jolly good sport!

I'm all for ErrantX breaking the tie, if it is possible. The alternative would be something like the first one to break ten votes, or just declare this contest suffered from a case of Tri-Winning.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-11-08 at 11:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

I'm all for ErrantX breaking the tie, if it is possible. The alternative would be something like the first one to break ten votes, or just declare this contest suffered from a case of Tri-Winning.
    The former or the latter seem to be the popular options, with ErrantX breaking the tie seeming a bit more preferred.

Hell, I'm all for declaring a 3-way tie (since that's never happened before and since we all seem agreeable to both options), and just seeing ErrantX's opinion out of general interest.

It truly is. Jolly good sport!
    Indubitably, my good sirs! I think we had, in general, a very fine show of strength in this contest.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-11-08 at 11:42 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

In the case of a three-way tie not being allowable and Errant can't be contacted in a timely manner to do a tiebreaker, what about doing a sudden death with the three classes; first one to get a vote from someone who hasn't already voted wins?

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Bendraesar View Post
    In the case of a three-way tie not being allowable and Errant can't be contacted in a timely manner to do a tiebreaker, what about doing a sudden death with the three classes; first one to get a vote from someone who hasn't already voted wins?
    Personally, I don't really like this method. It just doesn't seem as fair as the other two.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Morph directed me over here 'cause I hear you need another vote.

Right now my brain is stuck in-between his, the Raysailor (admittedly, I like things that may be overpowered), and the Ikagura. Which is probably why there's a tie, because so many people can't resolve the tie in their own heads.

In the end, I know Morph Bark already, so I figure for the purposes of not looking like I signed up just to vote for his, I'll have to go with the Ikagura. And if that doesn't break this tie, I suggest we get the three classes together and have them battle it out. Last one standing wins.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Eumetazoa View Post
    In the end, I know Morph Bark already, so I figure for the purposes of not looking like I signed up just to vote for his, I'll have to go with the Ikagura. And if that doesn't break this tie, I suggest we get the three classes together and have them battle it out. Last one standing wins.
    And this is why I don't like the "one more vote from someone other than ErrantX" method. There's something keeping you from voting a particular way, which is why I'd much prefer ErrantX to handle this like he usually handles the other tiebreakers. We do have an approach for such a situation, and it seems silly not to use it.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2011-11-08 at 01:44 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I don't really like this method. It just doesn't seem as fair as the other two.
    That's why I posited it as Option C, I'd much rather the other two methods.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2011-11-08 at 02:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: GitP PrC Contest XXX: Voting Thread

A 3-way tie? That's...so epic! Way to go you guys! Some top quality homebrew from this contest.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

And this is why I don't like the "one more vote from someone other than ErrantX" method. There's something keeping you from voting a particular way, which is why I'd much prefer ErrantX to handle this like he usually handles the other tiebreakers. We do have an approach for such a situation, and it seems silly not to use it.
    Exactemundo.

The only way Eumetazoa's vote would be counted would be if the deadline would be extended, allowing more votes to come in. Sorry buddy. The only way to win or lose is fair and square.

The suggestion of "let them battle it out" also doesn't work since they (or the classes used to enter them) aren't perfectly balanced against one another, making it an unfair fight.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    A 3-way tie? That's...so epic! Way to go you guys! Some top quality homebrew from this contest.
    I know right? The only thing that saddens me is that the Ikaruga and the Twilight's Guide aren't so compatible. That would have made it perfect.

EDIT: On that note, has anyone already PM'd ErrantX? I'd rather not PM him if someone else has already done so (yes, I'm looking at you Djinn).
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-11-08 at 05:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

I know right? The only thing that saddens me is that the Ikaruga and the Twilight's Guide aren't so compatible. That would have made it perfect.
    Yeah...ah well. Being able to put all three classes on a single character might have been a bit to much light-theme anyway.

EDIT: On that note, has anyone already PM'd ErrantX? I'd rather not PM him if someone else has already done so (yes, I'm looking at you Djinn).
    I haven't PM'd him, actually. Go for it, boss.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I suddenly have an urge to put on a uniform.

Either way, I PM'd ErrantX, asking if he has will and time to cast a tie-breaking vote. I say we weight two days or so for him to reply and if he hasn't by then, we call it a shared win.

EDIT: Also, I meant moreso in the sense of that the Raysailor and Twilight's Guide fit so perfectly together in sense of fluff and levels (enter Raysailor at 6th, Twilight's Guide at 16th) and the prereqs for the latter are easy enough to meet with the former, unlike with the Ikaruga.

Does make me think of a Raysailor/Twilight's Guide with an Ikaruga cohort/bodyguard though. "Wherever the Guiding Lantern goes, Death's final light follows."
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-11-08 at 07:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Colossus in the Playground

I could still cast a vote if you want...

Though it's damn, damn hard this time. Due to time constraints, it took me forever just to read them all in detail, and I like all three "finalists"...
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like the doddering grandfather asleep in the chair that no one wants to wake up to ask a question of

Alright, a tie we have and a tie we must break. So... my tie breaking vote goes to the Ray Sailor of Sol Invictus. Its a tough call, to be honest. While I thoroughly enjoyed all three of the top classes, I looked it at realistically: If I was to play one of these classes in a game with my friends, which one would I personally, as the player, would I have the most fun playing. I had to go with the Ray Sailor as it offers not only great abilities for the player himself, but also helps and benefits his fellow party members in a meaningful way.

I loved the fluff of Djinn's class and the whole feel of the class but I can't imagine actually playing it myself. It makes for an exceptional prestige class for an important NPC in the game. The Ikaruga, while mechanically has some neat stuff... I can't help but make comparisons to the Shadow Sun Ninja, and while the fluff is good, I personally can't see myself playing it when I go to sit at my gaming table, though I know several people who would jump at the chance. Much love to both classes, but the Ray Sailor takes Errant's Pick.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!