New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default This is halloween, this is halloween...

So, as many of you may have noticed, this happens to be my favorite time of the year. As such, you could get my shock when I noticed there was no thread for the epox of the season!

So yeah, post pics of your costumes ( spoil if bloody.) Jack-o-Lanterns, and general stuff. We dont want 5-6 threads about individuals experiances, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: This is halloween, this is halloween...

I dressed up as Leonidas, complete with red plumed helmet, red cloak, battered metal shield, sandals and a spear. Need to work on my sixpack lol, but I otherwise look the part with the right beard and everything. Still waiting on pics, tho.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I dressed up as "single thirty-something-guy whose local friends are all married with kids so he has no invites to anywhere that provide a good excuse for a costume."
    Last edited by Muz; 2011-10-31 at 05:59 PM.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Being lazy, I put together a vampire costume composed of my old prom dress/stockings and whatnot for one party, and my cosplay costume left over from AWA for today/the second costume party this saturday. Death the Kid :) I have pics of both, but not readily available.

My jack o' lanturn was a grim reaper this year...Last year, it was a drifloon!
    Harvest Season is over and its coverage discontinued, but the legend will live on. Thanks to the best players in the world for making a silly story-driven DM's dreams come true!

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, I went to school as an Imperial Guardsmen, by which I mean I wore a t-shirt and carried around a flashlight. Not even a good flashlight, at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

6. - Top - End - #6

I put together an Invisible Man costume. I actually didn't expect to have a chance to use it, but luckily at the last minute a friend extended an invitation to me to their party.

To my horror though, over half the people there apparently couldn't tell who I was!
    Seriously, I spent a good part of the night explaining it, it was kinda depressing. Does no one read books anymore?
    (One random passerby even asked if I was supposed to be 'that guy from Watchman')
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2011-11-01 at 01:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    I put together an Invisible Man costume. I actually didn't expect to have a chance to use it, but luckily at the last minute a friend extended an invitation to me to their party.

To my horror though, over half the people there apparently couldn't tell who I was!
    Seriously, I spent a good part of the night explaining it, it was kinda depressing. Does no one read anymore?
    (One random passerby even asked if I was supposed to be 'that guy from Watchman')
    See? They read.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

8. - Top - End - #8

Not necessarily

Even if that wasn't the case (and I would even go as far as I wouldn't really consider reading a comic and reading a book on the same page), the invisible man is probably one of the most iconic figures of literature. If you so much as set foot in a bookstore or library (or just know what a book is) I would have a hard time believing you would have an excuse for not knowing who he is.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2011-11-01 at 02:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Not necessarily

Even if that wasn't the case (and I would even go as far as I wouldn't really consider reading a comic and reading a book on the same page), the invisible man is probably one of the most iconic figures of literature. If you so much as set foot in a bookstore or library (or just know what a book is) I would have a hard time believing you would have an excuse for not knowing who he is.
    Oh, you're right. I forgot about that. It's too bad the Invisible Man has never been in films.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not necessarily

Uhh... He's an invisible guy, I'm guessing?

Google search leads me to believe he isn't actually invisible.

Look buddy, due to the fact that the only place I've ever even heard of this book was on Everybody Hates Chris, it obviously can't be as Iconic as you seem to think it is.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about the H.G. Wells novel, which is actually The Invisible Man. In which case, you're just another dude with bandages on his face.
    Last edited by Kjata; 2011-11-01 at 06:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kjata View Post
    Uhh... He's an invisible guy, I'm guessing?

Google search leads me to believe he isn't actually invisible.

Look buddy, due to the fact that the only place I've ever even heard of this book was on Everybody Hates Chris, it obviously can't be as Iconic as you seem to think it is.
    I take back my sarcasm, BiblioRook! You were actually right!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Kjata View Post
    EDIT: Unless you're talking about the H.G. Wells novel, which is actually The Invisible Man. In which case, you're just another dude with bandages on his face.
    I would think that when talking about a costume based on a book and an invisible man that the HG Wells novel would be obvious, unless you possibly assumed I was dressed as an African-American fighting for social liberties and identity.

But now I'm curious, just how many costumes do you know of that include completely bandaged faces? (Aside from maybe a 'classy mummy', which I might add I also heard )

@Kindablue: The 1933 version would be the only one I would give you for being a movie based on the book (One was an obscure tv show and TLoEG didn't use the bandages). Just merely being a movie about an invisible man doesn't make it a movie about The Invisible Man. Besides, 'classic Hollywood monster' or not, 80 years is a long time to fall into obscurity and I would imagine very little from this generation would even know of that movies existence anymore.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

@Kindablue: The 1933 version would be the only one I would give you for being a movie based on the book (One was an obscure tv show and TLoEG didn't use the bandages). Just merely being a movie about an invisible man doesn't make it a movie about The Invisible Man. Besides, 'classic Hollywood monster' or not, 80 years is a long time to fall into obscurity and I would imagine very little from this generation would even know of that movies existence anymore.
    I'm mostly just teasing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't usually participate in the Halloween festivities, so my little prank was especially surprising for my school friends. Basically, I just emptied a mayo jar, washed it (thoroughly), filled it with pudding, and walked around school eating it. It provoked the perfect reactions!

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

But now I'm curious, just how many costumes do you know of that include completely bandaged faces? (Aside from maybe a 'classy mummy', which I might add I also heard )
    Off the top of my head, a coat, hat, and face covered by cloth of some sort could be The Invisible Man, Darkman, The Elephant Man, or Rorschach, and you'd have to be pretty lazy to guess Rorschach without the spots on the cloth.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Aside from maybe a 'classy mummy'
    If it were me and I heard that I would just laugh and walk away without a word.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

The only true way to celebrate October 31st - aside from mourning the death of Hollis Mason - is to have an Are You Afraid of the Dark marathon.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    If it were me and I heard that I would just laugh and walk away without a word.
    The truly sad thing is the person who said that was an English major. 9_9

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll be honest, I've read ALL of H.G. Wells novels, and all of the classic literature along the lines of "The Invisible Man" and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a clue who you were if I saw you at a Halloween party. The Invisible Man is one of those "rarely used" costume ideas, not to mention, I live in rural country area, and most of the people I know(sadly) don't read anything outside of hunting and fishing magazines.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't get to dress up because my cigarette holder didn't show up in time.

Otherwise? I was going to go as none other than *(&)*(^ing Hunter S. Thomson. Just to annoy my viscous (*&()^& professors.

Instead I mainly riffed bad movies, Watched a decent horror flick, and did homework.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2011-11-04 at 12:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    Otherwise? I was going to go as none other than *(&)*(^ing Hunter S. Thomson. Just to annoy my viscous (*&()^& professors.
    Heh, last year around Halloween the guy running one of the small on-campus shops was dressed as Thomson. He game my part of my purchase for free for recognizing him.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Last time I dressed up has been a while, but I went as a Knight of Britannia from Code Geass.

The truly sad thing is the person who said that was an English major. 9_9
    Might not have been that good of a costume then. Maybe too generic.

Or maybe he was drunk. It was a party after all.

/shrug. The only H.G. Wells novel I've read (or even was on our literature list) as The Time Machine, which is also pretty iconic, but if someone showed up dressed as any of the characters I would be hard-pressed to recognize them.

Heck, there are a ton of movies that are considered "classic" or "iconic" and many people wouldn't recognize the character you dressed up as simply because the character isn't all that recognizeable or there are several other characters from other works of fiction who look the same.

Especially since people mostly read books from the last 10 years, maybe 20, 50 tops on average.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries