New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mechwarrior Online Announced!

Close: Melee, more in concept than practice though as I've never been in a game where I could use it.
    Medium: PPCs/Gauss Rifles
    Long: PPCs/Gauss Rifles
    The later two depending on what sort of mech I'm in though I tend to prefer PPCs.

Actually would anyone perhaps be interested in running a BattleTech game in forum? I had been in one on Myth-Weavers, we had everything set up, but it ended up dieing out during negotiations for our first mission.
    Last edited by userpay; 2011-11-02 at 02:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

I just wish I got to play the TT game more. I want to be excited about this... but I haven't been playing many computer games lately and don't ever feel like putting in the time to pick up an MMO any more. But if its good, and reasonable FTP then I'll probably give it a go.

As for the clan invasion, the biggest issue I have with the clan tech is that it is simply better. Its not conditionally better, its just better. It doesn't trade an advantage like range for increased heat or reduced damage, it doesn't even take more weight or slots to equip it. And its not just weapons, its structure, engines, and just about everything else.
    They just increased the BV of the items so you get less of them in an even match, which is fair enough from a large scale tactical balance sense but just seems to cause problems if you aren't careful, especially in smaller games and I don't see any good way of doing it right in a single mech per player system.

Favorite weapons... I have a soft spot for the AC20. Sure, it has a lot of shortcomings and its a pain to fit in anything, but it has the oh-crap feel that no other gun does.
    Long range I like the flexibility of the RAC5.
    But of course it depends a lot on when and what size 'Mechs you are fielding. A large bank of ERMLs can cause a lot of damage and is pretty reliable but its only slight less easy-mode then the ERMPL spam.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

You do know there is already a free, perfectly legal implementation of the tabletop game, with campaign software, don't you?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Is it just me, or is this the only question in the entire FAQ that even mentions armor/equipment? The actual previous Q/A is about combined arms and vehicles.
    It says "At the moment we are not following up with combined arms (tanks, hovercraft, jets etc.)", so I guess that means they aren't following up with custom mech loadouts.

edit - to be clear, what I've taken from the answer is that you'll have choice of the stock designs, but will have to stick to canon designs rather than making your own with 10 LRM 20s and 1 shot. Rereading the answer makes me much less sure of this, though.
    Last edited by elpollo; 2011-11-02 at 04:07 PM.
    Spelt with a silent "Phwoar"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I just wish I got to play the TT game more. I want to be excited about this... but I haven't been playing many computer games lately and don't ever feel like putting in the time to pick up an MMO any more. But if its good, and reasonable FTP then I'll probably give it a go.
    If it's half as good as World of Tanks, I'm still sold.

As for the clan invasion, the biggest issue I have with the clan tech is that it is simply better. Its not conditionally better, its just better.
    Yes. That is exactly the point. They've kept most of their awesome tech, and they expanded on it in some areas. Meanwhile the shattered Star League went the opposite direction. Either ignoring tech or losing access/production capability during the wars.
    In case you're wondering, I'm pretty sure FASA intended the Clan tech to be imbalanced. What with the fact that the Clan were sort of the intended Big Bad.

A large bank of ERMLs can cause a lot of damage and is pretty reliable but its only slight less easy-mode then the ERMPL spam.
    Wow, shows how long it's been since I played. Bwah? ERML/ERMPL? Extended Range Medium Laser/Extended Range Medium Pulse Laser?
    Last edited by Karoht; 2011-11-02 at 04:55 PM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

This sounds awesome. I haven't played the tabletop game, but I've been addicted to MW3 and 4 for... about eight years. Can't wait for this to come out.

Also, I second the idea of having a GitP clan.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    So what is everyone's favorite weapons in Battletech/Mechwarrior? Pick one close range, one medium range, one long range.
    Close Range: LB 20-X AC: Because firing the largest shotgun known to mankind is awesome. Also, you get to roll each pellet individually, so lots of chances for head hits.

Medium Range: Medium laser: That magical weapon that I put whenever I needed to spend 1 ton.

Long Range: Clan ER PPC or Gauss Rifle: My favorite mech was the Banshee because the first time I played, I headshot someone with the Gauss Rifle.

8. - Top - End - #38

Yeah, Gauss Rifles are pretty awesome. Shame about the weight though. There's that one mech, the Rhino? It's got two of them. Once I played one, I never wanted to play anything else. But I always ended up being shoved into the Urban/Short range rolls more than anything. Good times in the Rhino though. Good times.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, Gauss Rifles are pretty awesome. Shame about the weight though. There's that one mech, the Rhino? It's got two of them. Once I played one, I never wanted to play anything else. But I always ended up being shoved into the Urban/Short range rolls more than anything. Good times in the Rhino though. Good times.
    The Rhino is an 80-ton tank that says it's an up-armored LRM Carrier.

Also, "Awesome" is defined as "80 tons and three PPCs."

10. - Top - End - #40

Actually, they seem to be foreshadowing the Clans pretty blatantly. I mean, they even wrote a ;) on their FAQ when asked if the clans would appear.

Nothing, in any world, is more suspicious than a winky face.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Actually, they seem to be foreshadowing the Clans pretty blatantly. I mean, they even wrote a ;) on their FAQ when asked if the clans would appear.

They put the starting year as 3049. If that doesn't say O HAI, CLANS, then nothing does.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    They put the starting year as 3049. If that doesn't say O HAI, CLANS, then nothing does.
    I'll take "Option C", which is "both things combined make me very, very suspicious".

...Anyone planning to join the Free Rasalhague Republic?
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

13. - Top - End - #43

hoooly freakin crap. finally a new mechwarrior game? I couldn't care less whether it's online or not, but a new mechwarrior game is something for a cheer. crossing my fingers for this one.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #44
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Now if only they manage to avoid the pit of suck that Free-To-Play games seem to gravitate towards - i.e., Freemium.

15. - Top - End - #45

The Rhino is an 80-ton tank that says it's an up-armored LRM Carrier.

Also, "Awesome" is defined as "80 tons and three PPCs."
    I defer to your wisdom on this particular context of the word 'awesome' sir/s.

I like being able to sustain fire though. PPC's aren't exactly known for being heat friendly. If I've got guns, I want to fire them every chance I need to. Yeah yeah, heatsinks and such, blah blah blah. I'm usually stuck in the 50-65 ton range. Though there was a 35 ton mech I rather liked. I forget the name but it was armed with a single UAC 10 and a small laser, might have had another weapon on it as well like a medium laser. Fast as heck, jump jets, just small quick fun and could pack a quick and solid punch. I don't think it had arms though. Sneeze on it and it would explode though. Fun times.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I defer to your wisdom on this particular context of the word 'awesome' sir/s.

I like being able to sustain fire though. PPC's aren't exactly known for being heat friendly. If I've got guns, I want to fire them every chance I need to. Yeah yeah, heatsinks and such, blah blah blah. I'm usually stuck in the 50-65 ton range. Though there was a 35 ton mech I rather liked. I forget the name but it was armed with a single UAC 10 and a small laser, might have had another weapon on it as well like a medium laser. Fast as heck, jump jets, just small quick fun and could pack a quick and solid punch. I don't think it had arms though. Sneeze on it and it would explode though. Fun times.
    thats why the Awesome is...well, awesome
    you run and fire all 3 PPC you heat up by 2
    so every 3rd round you only fire 2 PPC and you never have any heat penalty

as compared to the worst design ever (the Masakari Prime) where you do an alpha strike and end at 28/30 on heat scale
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Close: Hatchet. ended a couple table top with a hatchet to the face on a couple games
    Medium: PPCs
    Long: LRM20s I like the shooting tons and tons of missiles but gauss is a close second.

I only played mechwarrior 2 of the mechwarrior series. And i loved that game. just used the Nova all the time and group fired the medium lazers.

the opening cinematic is still a favorite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNLBj8IyVN0

It been a long time since i played the battle tech stuff hopefulley this will be good.
    Last edited by Illieas; 2011-11-03 at 02:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

I'm looking forward to this. I'm rather tired of MMO PvP being 'hyper-active fleas jumping at each other while particle effects go off'

planning a missile boat.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2011-11-03 at 03:19 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
    I only played mechwarrior 2 of the mechwarrior series. And i loved that game. just used the Nova all the time and group fired the medium lazers.
    All the lasers? Or did you group different lasers to different groups so you didn't turn into the 'Mech's namesake? (Nova Prime's alpha strike is just as stupid as a Masakari Prime's. It generates 4 less overheat, but it's also just a Medium 'Mech, meaning that it's even more of a sitting duck while in shutdown.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
    the opening cinematic is still a favorite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNLBj8IyVN0
    I take issue with that sequence. A Timber Wolf should never run out of ammunition. If it does, then either its best guns have been blown off, or some moron decided to make a loadout that doesn't take advantage of the beauty's 15 built-in DHS.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

All the lasers? Or did you group different lasers to different groups so you didn't turn into the 'Mech's namesake? (Nova Prime's alpha strike is just as stupid as a Masakari Prime's. It generates 4 less overheat, but it's also just a Medium 'Mech, meaning that it's even more of a sitting duck while in shutdown.)
    Ah yes, heat-based failure. I once ran a Nova in either 3 or 4 that was specifically built to be a sniper. Maxed out the ER Heavy Lasers, filled up the rest of my tonnage with heatsinks and then aimed for the cockpit. It worked really well as long as I made sure to run around for long enough to reset my heat all the way to 0 after each shot. Any more heat than that and my standard alpha-strike snipe would cause an overheat and my poorly armoured medium mech was left defenseless. Died that way more times than I care to admit. Oh, and if I tried firing when my Heat was higher than 15% or so, I'd just explode. Sure, in retrospect it was a really poorly thought-out strategy that got me killed more times than a more sane mech design, but one-shotting a 100+ ton Clan Assault mech with my Medium? Good times.

I'm definitely going to have to keep my eye on this as it starts to near release. I loved me some Mechwarrior back when I was a kid, and a semi-persistant online version would be all shades of cool.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I'm looking forward to this. I'm rather tired of MMO PvP being 'hyper-active fleas jumping at each other while particle effects go off'

planning a missile boat.
    No worries there, the Flea has no Jump Jets on it or any of its variants.

22. - Top - End - #52

I think the weirdest heat-related shenanigans came from my old habit of running incendiary rockets in team modes.

I remember it being moderately effective when the rest of the team would immediately jump on the disabled mech. To give you an idea on how much I loved explosions: And I don't recall the model of the assault mech (been a while) but I had something like 8 linked LRM racks.

But the more veteran players can describe why I'm a madman in better detail.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    100+ ton
    There aren't any canon functioning Colossal-class 'Mechs until around 3132, when the Ares pops up. I consider it a flop, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    No worries there, the Flea has no Jump Jets on it or any of its variants.
    Come to think of it, who's the moron who named it the Flea and didn't give it the ability to jump?

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I think the weirdest heat-related shenanigans came from my old habit of running incendiary rockets in team modes.

But the more veteran players can describe why I'm a madman in better detail.
    Yeah, the old inferno boat. I personally favoured the one and only Zippo Raven, but an assault mech loaded with inferno rockets or LRM's is basically a one hit shutdown if it goes right. I always used a Mad Dog (Vulture to you Spheroids) for running the twin inferno rocket config. However, if you get caught by something with any sort of guns, you're dead. Your score will also suck and anyone playing against you will hate your guts and will try to kill you over and over again. However, for taking mechs out of the game, especially under sinked, over gunned snipers, you can't beat it. Well, I say that, if I remember rightly, there was a mini version of the Long Tom that fired inferno rounds. Now there's a weapon for those not afraid to walk outside with a really stupid hat on. Strip the armour off an Uller and put one in the arm. Fun if totally ineffective.

The 7 ERLL Nova Cat that Daedalus is mentioning is an interesting beast. No armour (you need the weight for at least some heatsinks or you fire and explode even with 0% heat) and 7 big guns. You cannot run this one without a team and to make it work, your team will hate you as it is a kill theif extraordinaire. One thing I will say, it teaches you how to hide and how to shoot at very long range.

And I see James the Dark is still lurking.

Banzai !!, old chap.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground

Did anyone else play the MechCommander game for PC? Love.

The clan have a pretty sweet story, but losing the majority of engagements (exact number seems to depend on canon, I've seen some where Jade Falcon or maybe Smoke Jaguar draws, some where they lose) to this guy...: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Anastasius_Focht_(1).jpg

I think I'll stick with the Davion Guard.
    Last edited by Meta; 2011-11-04 at 01:00 AM.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

26. - Top - End - #56

DwarfFighterGuy

I must say, the closest thing I have ever come to playing a Mechwarrior game was Missionforce:Cyberstorm, which I loved to death, but I will admit to eagerly anticipating this game.

Also, since heat seems to be such a big deal, were there ever any fire-boat tactics? where you load up some fast and nimble mech with flametrhowers and rush in to set some super-heavy mech on fire and then run out while the rest of your team takes down the disabled enemy?

Because that is what I think I would probably play as.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Also, since heat seems to be such a big deal, were there ever any fire-boat tactics? where you load up some fast and nimble mech with flametrhowers and rush in to set some super-heavy mech on fire and then run out while the rest of your team takes down the disabled enemy?

Because that is what I think I would probably play as.
    Oh yes. In fact, the Zippo Raven that Timberwolf mentioned is exactly that; a Flamethrower-laden Light Mech with (IIRC) some decent jumpjets whose sole purpose is to sneak up to the biggest, meanest mech you can find (or some poor shmuck with no heatsinks), then hose them down and let your buddies destroy the now-defenseless opponent, preferably while laughing maniacally and periodically giving them another spurt or two of fire to continually maintain their shutdown. It's something of a fringe tactic, but it can be good fun if you can pull it off. Some people like to add some sort of close-ranged weapon to slowly cherry tap the enemy to death as well, but even the head armour of an assault mech is usually enough to shrug off the piddly damage of the machine gun or pulse laser you can fit onto your firebug.

You can run the ERLL Nova Cat solo, you just have to be a lot more aware than normal and make sure that you line up your shots right. If the enemy can't shoot back because you killed him, your total lack of anything resembling defenses hardly matter. Sure, you probably can't take down Clan Assault Mechs anymore, but it's not like a 55-ton medium should really be able to do that unsupported anyways. Or at least, that's how I remember it. That was quite a few years ago, and it's not like I had an internet connection capable of playing online back then. I may need to go searching for my old copy of MW4 again, see if it's as fun as I remember.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

So, I just want to know what mechs you guys are most likely to play. For me, I like playing the Uzeal on higy mountainous terrain, the NovaCat in places with alot of water, the Awesome in flat places without water, and the Atlas in the city. Sometimes I play the Daisy for fun.

So, what mechs do you guys hope to play as?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

aw, I haven't played Mech Warrior since Mechwarrior 2. and I didn't even finish that.

might be good time to get back in….though I probably won't be that good...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #60

DwarfFighterGuy

Well, since daedelus described my intentions more perfectly than I could have imagined, I guess I will be running a Zippo Raven.

I can just see it now.

Burn. BURN YOU HELLISH FIENDS! TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON AND BY FIRE BE PURGED! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

>:D
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.