New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Mechwarrior Online Announced!

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    That was quite a few years ago, and it's not like I had an internet connection capable of playing online back then. I may need to go searching for my old copy of MW4 again, see if it's as fun as I remember.
    Mechwarrior 4 Mercenary is available for free now, at Mektek.

Visually one of my favorite designs in the Men Shen, but not a huge fan of the Cappellan Confederation otherwise. But being an omni-mech, its not going to be available anyway.
    Also like the Crab.

For the earlier and more traditional designs I always preferred the Warhammer for a heavy 'Mech. The Cicada is also a very well rounded and dangerous medium 'Mech (at least for the time period). Of course thats mostly from the TT, the relative benefit and drawbacks of many designs change between the TT and computer games.

I'll probably look at either House Steiner or House Marik, though a mercenary group is very possible too.
    I'm sort of surprised there isn't more love for the mercenary groups like the Wolf's Dragoons and Kell Hounds.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Visually, I've always been oddly fond of the Bushwacker for non-Omnis, though of course the Atlas is still the top dog of visual doom.

For Clan Mechs, the Mad Cat is of course the best looking. The Timber Wolf sucks though. Hehehehehehe.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Visually, I've always been oddly fond of the Bushwacker for non-Omnis, though of course the Atlas is still the top dog of visual doom.
    I'm pretty fond of the 'wacker as well.
    For Clan Mechs, the Mad Cat is of course the best looking. The Timber Wolf sucks though.
    Lolz. ICWUTUDIDTHAR.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-11-04 at 11:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

For Clan Mechs, the Mad Cat is of course the best looking. The Timber Wolf sucks though. Hehehehehehe.
    Oh my God! How could I forget about the Mad Cat! Especially the Mad Cat MK II. My god was that fun!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    Did anyone else play the MechCommander game for PC? Love.
    I liked that a lot. It really let you take advantage of some specialized concepts (like the flamer mechs or fire support roles) that you never got to see in MechWarrior single player, and only really saw in MW4 if you had a cohesive team.

This might be heresy in this thread, but I also loved Heavy Gear. Earth/Starsiege... not so much.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I think instead of bothering with flamethrowers you should just shoot insulation foam.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

8. - Top - End - #68

Oh, that reminds me - the Catapult was another sweet-looking mech. Death on legs though with that giant head to aim at, but cool looking.

9. - Top - End - #69

Oh, that reminds me - the Catapult was another sweet-looking mech. Death on legs though with that giant head to aim at, but cool looking.
    I liked it, but you really needed friends. There was a reason the Clans said, "hey, let's put some arms on this". Same thing with the Longbow.

If I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with the Mad Dog. Good at long-range engagement and capable of dealing with an opponent who tries to get in close, or getting the heck out of dodge if needed.

The Kit Fox gets honorable mention for keeping its pimp-hand strong.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Personally, I think instead of bothering with flamethrowers you should just shoot insulation foam.
    Asbestos. The perfect choice for devious murderous pilots.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #71

On the subject of mechs we want to drive, I shall be loading up my Cauldron Born once more. Oh yes I shall. I was a terror in that thing with 2 CLBX 20's, a CLBX10 and a HML with slightly shaved full reactive armour. I loved that mech so much. I shall also be loading up the Raven as the pest mech of choice.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    On the subject of mechs we want to drive, I shall be loading up my Cauldron Born once more. Oh yes I shall. I was a terror in that thing with 2 CLBX 20's, a CLBX10 and a HML with slightly shaved full reactive armour. I loved that mech so much. I shall also be loading up the Raven as the pest mech of choice.
    Yeah, I'm definately out of the loop. CLBX? HML?
    Behind a firewall at work so no gaming wiki's for me.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maybe you'll have to wait a bit with all the Pre-Invasion setting going real time.

But yes, I'll pilot an Urbanmech of doom till the CauldronBorn arrives. Great machine.
    Wait, what signature?

14. - Top - End - #74

No one who voluntarily pilots an Urbanmech can look themselves in the mirror without shame.

Off-topic, but does anyone have that poster about assault mechs as a scouting lance? I can't remember what faction is described there.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-11-04 at 04:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Yeah, I'm definately out of the loop. CLBX? HML?
    Behind a firewall at work so no gaming wiki's for me.
    Clan LBX auto cannon, basically a shotgun suitably scaled up. A HML is a heavy medium laser. 3/4's the range, twice the damage.

Yes, the time setting is a bit of an "oh well". Never mind, Raven, Warhammer and War Dog it is.

16. - Top - End - #76

No one who voluntarily pilots an Urbanmech can look themselves in the mirror without shame.

Off-topic, but does anyone have that poster about assault mechs as a scouting lance? I can't remember what faction is described there.
    Ignore the Urbie, I'll be just over there with my custom AC/20 on my arm, looking like a trashcan till I have a clear shot.

Also, I think it is this poster.

Wait, what signature?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As much as I tend to like the people from the FedSun more, I can't help but love the Lyran attitude on mechs. Which is to say "needs more dakka" is a cardinal rule, right alongside "needs more armor".

I do find it funny how many people are listing post-3050 IS designs as what they want to pilot, or Clanner mechs. We'll have a full year before the earliest stuff is available, you know.

On the topic, though, I really hope Crusaders are available. Mm, all-range missile boat...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    As much as I tend to like the people from the FedSun more, I can't help but love the Lyran attitude on mechs. Which is to say "needs more dakka" is a cardinal rule, right alongside "needs more armor".

I do find it funny how many people are listing post-3050 IS designs as what they want to pilot, or Clanner mechs. We'll have a full year before the earliest stuff is available, you know.

On the topic, though, I really hope Crusaders are available. Mm, all-range missile boat...
    I know right?

Mad cat/Timberwolf - not until after clans invade, no word yet on playing as clan at all.

Bushwhacker- was a redesign from captured Mad dog/Vulture parts so not until after the clans invade.

I'm fedsun to the core and am hoping to get in an Urbanmech and own all the folks who ignore my trashcan of doom. That or run a commando or locust and scout you all for my long range support lance.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

Good place for information there.

and here is a running list of mechs that folks are trying to work out, ones that are possible for the time frame etc.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/962...chs-available/

See you in my sights!

19. - Top - End - #79

I'm not a great fan on the pre 3050 mechs myself, all my favourites are post 3050. however, the Warhammer and a suitably regunned Dragon (HOW COULD I FORGET THE DRAGON ??) which as any player of CBT or MW4 will know is a mech that says you're not afraid to go out with you pants on your head, will be going for a ride. As will the Highlander and, because I'm really not afraid to go out with my pants on my head and a pencil up each nostril, the Zeus. now there's a mech for the man who doesn't care.

20. - Top - End - #80

Gotta wait four years for my hollander... Hopefully they keep some mechs semi-exclusive for factions (salvages are fine obviously)

EDIT: Dis one
    http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/HTMLBatt...nfo.asp?ID=899

16 shots, slow speed, low armor, and the biggest gun a manufacturer puts on a mech. THAT's a mech that either wins or dies.
    Last edited by Meta; 2011-11-06 at 11:10 AM.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

21. - Top - End - #81

SolithKnightGuy

BTW my suggestion for the playground clan/unit: Playground Heroes. (reference to the song "bar room heroes." by the dropkick murphies)

22. - Top - End - #82

Flumph

I'm not a great fan on the pre 3050 mechs myself, all my favourites are post 3050. however, the Warhammer and a suitably regunned Dragon (HOW COULD I FORGET THE DRAGON ??)
    Despite it's presence in that first CG trailer for Mechwarrior 5, I doubt the Warhammer will show up even when the universe ticks over.

Same with the rest of the Macross, Dougram, and Crusher Joe licenses. An F2P model argues for keeping costs down, not paying license fees for designs.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Despite it's presence in that first CG trailer for Mechwarrior 5, I doubt the Warhammer will show up even when the universe ticks over.

Same with the rest of the Macross, Dougram, and Crusher Joe licenses. An F2P model argues for keeping costs down, not paying license fees for designs.
    Well. We won't see the same model for them. There are retooled looks that deviate enough to not cause trouble. Pretty sure this is a Warhammer, for instance.

...Have I mentioned I really want to drive a Crusader?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing as how the lawyers have been working at it (again) for the last year or two, and last anything was said, the whole unseen thing should be done with.

I also don't think they could even do a pre-3050 game without the unseen, as thats like half of the designs in that time period. They of course would use the new versions of the 'Mechs, rather then the unseen versions. Which is good anyway, I thought the unseen marauder looked bad, and don't specifically remember many of the others but I was never impressed with them.

If they weren't going to use the unseen 'Mechs then it would have made a lot more sense to jump another 10-25 years so they have 10x the 'Mech designs to work with.

And there should be no royalties involved. Using a 'Mech with the same name as one that used to look like a copyrighted mech from another system wouldn't involve royalties unless they were going back to the old copyrighted designs. Because its the design, not the name, that is the issue.
    The main issue with the unseen designs has been that they have a decade (or more) worth of old pictures that they can't use because they have the old designs on them.

25. - Top - End - #85

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    And there should be no royalties involved. Using a 'Mech with the same name as one that used to look like a copyrighted mech from another system wouldn't involve royalties unless they were going back to the old copyrighted designs. Because its the design, not the name, that is the issue.
    I suspect that changing the design enough but retaining the name would basically lead to something that was, basically, so different that no-one would care or recognise it any more.

Edit: Not that I wouldn't love to see them have the original designs as a middle finger to Harmony Gold.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2011-11-07 at 01:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

I suspect that changing the design enough but retaining the name would basically lead to something that was, basically, so different that no-one would care or recognise it any more.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say. Because the redesigns, that are no longer close enough for copyright issues, have been in place for 10-15 years already. I would suspect that the majority of players know the re-seen designs almost exclusively and don't know the original unseen ones.

Although I have heard that every once in a while the other company does still complain that the new designs are still too close to their old designs, but its a moot point that was settled (with the help of lawyers) when it came up originally. I think the complaining mostly comes from them wanting money since the franchises the designs originally came from are defunct now.

The more recent issues with the unseen came up when CGL wanted to get the rights to the old designs, not to go back to them or continue using them in some fashion, but simply so they could use pictures from the early days that used the designs and models that they have. It was, I believe, supposed to be part of the 25years of Battletech, which they are a little late for now, because they are really limited in what they can show from the early days because of the unseen designs. They wanted to use the designs for historical purposes, not current or future uses.

At least thats the impression I got of the whole situation, having followed it somewhat over the last 2 years.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

They will probably just use the reseen designs and be done with it, most folks actually like them and the newer style longbow I feel looks far superior to the old school one that was 'copyrighted'.

There are way more mechs than just the unseen and the unseen definitely do not make up half.

They do make up a lot of Davion mechs, but there are still enough to use regardless and the reseen designs are there anyway.

They have said that the main part of the game will be conquest style rather than deathmatch and I am excited about that since WoT is only deathmatch...

I also hope that the only thing that MWO borrows from WoT is the ease of getting into games.

28. - Top - End - #88

For me, my first exposure to BattleTech was MechWarrior 2... so if you ask me what I want to drive around, I'll be biased toward what brought me in. It's not always a matter of "lol they don't know any better".

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Breltar View Post
    There are way more mechs than just the unseen and the unseen definitely do not make up half.
    Well I was using a bit of hyperbole, but I decided to check.
    There are 86 3025 chassis, which is what we would have available in a game set pre-clan. There are 21 unseen chassis. Which is 25%, which isn't half, but its still a significant amount. Its not just the numbers though, many are classics and vital to the era. It simply wouldn't be battletech without them.

here is a list of Unseen:
    Spoiler
    Show

Archer
    Battlemaster
    Crusader
    Goliath
    Griffin
    Locust
    Longbow
    Marauder
    Ostroc
    Ostscout
    Ostsol
    Phoenix Hawk
    Rifleman
    Scorpion
    Shadow Hawk
    Stinger
    Thunderbolt
    Valkyrie
    Warhammer
    Wasp
    Wolverine

I was going to post the 3025 'Mechs as well but the post got too long (even spoilered) and wouldn't post

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    For me, my first exposure to BattleTech was MechWarrior 2... so if you ask me what I want to drive around, I'll be biased toward what brought me in. It's not always a matter of "lol they don't know any better".
    Well, that, and post-3050 has been the assumption for so long that people actually have to stop and think about what 'Mechs they would use if they can't pick from Post-Invasion material.

And quite frankly, the paradigm of 'Mech balance changed in 3050, and is probably best exemplified by the Timber Wolf. Before the Clans arrived, you couldn't have a fast, well-armored, well-armed, all-ranged war machine that rarely ran into heating or ammunition problems on its own. You had to choose, and that's why 'Mechs like the AS7-D Atlas, CGR-1A1 Charger, and AWS-8Q Awesome were relevant despite the Atlas's range issues, the Charger's engine taking up 60% of its mass, and the Awesome's heat issues.