New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Mechwarrior Online Announced!

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I was going to post the 3025 'Mechs as well but the post got too long (even spoilered) and wouldn't post
    3025 isn't the only one to go by though since MWO is going to start in 3049, right at the start of Clan activity. Record sheet for 3039 can also be used, as well as mechs that are old or are starting to be prototyped back into existence by the discovery of the Helm memory core in 3028.

I think that the game will start out with only a few select mechs anyway and build up, so even if they can't use the unseens (even though in interviews they said there wasn't a problem) then there is still a core amount that can be used for all the IS fighting till the Clans are integrated.

Once the Clans are integrated it opens up all the other options like the ad-hoc Bushwacker and all the mechs redesigned/rediscovered with Clan tech introductions.

Also take a look at Project Pheonix as that redesigned all the 'unseens' to make them legit again.
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Technical_...roject_Phoenix

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

I had went with 3025 because thats primarily what would have been available. The fact that little was changing or advancing was, after all, sort of what defined the Succession Wars Era.
    But just to check I pulled up 3039 as well and its a very short list and only 3 chassis that are new, the rest are just new configs of existing ones. Of those 3 I don't know any of them and one may have been unique. Not that SSW is a definitive source, its just the fasts and easiest for a list to compare with.

Also if they are trying to advance the game in "real time" as the FAQ implied, the game would be out for close to a year before captured tech could even start to be used and several years before any of the new IS designs are out. And an MMO can't (logically at least) be built on a hand full of prototype 'Mechs. (although I suppose that might fit with the Pay for Premium content idea)

I'm also well aware of Project Phoenix, and that was pretty much my point in the first place. That there is no issue with using the unseen 'Mechs, because they have been redone (a long time ago) to not be an issue and it would be the redone version, not the unseen, that would be in the game.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

Admitedly I dont know much about the setting or the previous games, but arent Omnimech the main selling point? If I understand correctly they wouldnt be available due to the starting date, and a game about mech combat loses a lot of appeal if you cant choose your specific loadout and customize it to be your own. I think they should really prioritize opening that for players, regardless of the actual tech level choice is good.

Then again, the only game of the type Ive played was Front Mission 3 but I know that what I loved the most about it was how I could combine arms and legs and torsos and weapons in different ways.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

While I don't know how this game will handle it, OmniMechs are NOT required for units to be customizable in the BT universe. The (fluff-wise) advantage of OmniMechs (as well as OmniFighters, OmniVehicles, etc.) was that cutomiztion only took a few hours instead of weeks in the shop. From a gameplay standpoint, the advantage was that each unit came with a number of pre-loaded configurations, allowing more versaitle units without calculating BV.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

And an MMO can't (logically at least) be built on a hand full of prototype 'Mechs. (although I suppose that might fit with the Pay for Premium content idea)
    Prototypes are used in WoT and it seems to be working out fairly well, even though I'm not a fan of the way they run only deathmatch.

There was some change happening with the lostech that was being recovered in the wake of the succession wars. The clan invasion both accelerated this and also brought in all the salvage and captures that those filthy clanners brought with them.

I am hoping that they not only include the 'stock' (really first) variants of the mechs but also the subsequent models of the same mech. Examples include the locust which had a medium laser and 2 machine guns but later models swapped the MGs for a variety of things.

They have enough to make a game and infinitely expand and also have a time frame to base expansion on. I think it's a good plan and hope the game lives up to all of our expectations.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm really not too worried about the mech choices at launch. Partly because it's launch, and partly because even the story implies (The clans are coming, run for the hills) that new shiney stuff is just around the corner.

Or, worst case scenario, they break canon and give us even more stuff at launch. Which I highly doubt they will, but that's not the point.

Man, I can't wait to see what a really well organized clan Star can do to mess people up.

I wonder if they'll add in starfighters at some point, or if they're at launch or what. I wouldn't mind piloting one of those.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Man, I can't wait to see what a really well organized clan Star can do to mess people up.
    Won't take much; clan tech will always have the raw numbers over IS. the IS advantage was variety in tech (which won't be available at 3049), and not being tied down to the RoE's of the Clan's; and something tells me players won't hold to those RoE's either.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

I'm really not too worried about the mech choices at launch. Partly because it's launch, and partly because even the story implies (The clans are coming, run for the hills) that new shiney stuff is just around the corner.

Or, worst case scenario, they break canon and give us even more stuff at launch. Which I highly doubt they will, but that's not the point.

I wonder if they'll add in starfighters at some point, or if they're at launch or what. I wouldn't mind piloting one of those.
    Weren't they talking about the time progression being day for day though? If they do that we wouldn't be getting new tech for at least a year as a result right?

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Weren't they talking about the time progression being day for day though? If they do that we wouldn't be getting new tech for at least a year as a result right?
    Great, so we have a year to mess around with basic tech, learn strategy and combat in basic tech. Then the clans show up, we learn to adapt those strategies. Then we get better gear, and work that into strategy and combat techniques. That right there sounds like an awesome progression. It's going to take a year? Oh well.

It is going to create a bit of the curmudgeonly players.
    "Back in my day we didn't have double heat sinks or clan tech or any of that crap you new players get."
    And so on.

I'm a fan of learning things 'the hard way' and then having better and better stuff present itself. Part of why I liked TIE Fighter so much as opposed to X-Wing. Learning to dogfight in a ship with poor armament and next to no survivability meant you had to rely heavily on your wits and piloting, and using other advantages like speed and maneuverability. When better craft presented themselves, you were just that much more prepared to really take advantage of them. In Mech, we're going to have to use the old clunky crappy mechs and learn how to get the most out of them. Then we'll be given better stuff. Again, I'm all for that.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

10. - Top - End - #100

I'm a fan of learning things 'the hard way' and then having better and better stuff present itself. Part of why I liked TIE Fighter so much as opposed to X-Wing. Learning to dogfight in a ship with poor armament and next to no survivability meant you had to rely heavily on your wits and piloting, and using other advantages like speed and maneuverability. When better craft presented themselves, you were just that much more prepared to really take advantage of them. In Mech, we're going to have to use the old clunky crappy mechs and learn how to get the most out of them. Then we'll be given better stuff. Again, I'm all for that.
    Nostalgia:

Interceptors FTW. Except the last half of the game puts you in that ridiculously wonky looking abomination that was central to the plot.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

It seems that now they are rethinking the mechs and updating their appearance to fit those newer times...

...I fear for my Urbie. It may start looking cool.
    Wait, what signature?

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Nostalgia:

Interceptors FTW. Except the last half of the game puts you in that ridiculously wonky looking abomination that was central to the plot.
    The TIE Defender? The thing bristling with guns and missiles and tougher shields/armor than a B-Wing and faster than anything else in the game? With a tractor beam to make it really REALLY faceroll?

Yeah, Interceptor FTW. I was a fan of the A-Wing in XvT, but the Interceptor still holds a special place in my heart.
    I once fought a TIE Defender one on one, with a TIE Fighter. And won. No, it wasn't a sim or a retarded player. Fight lasted a good 11 minutes because I would run out of laser energy just chipping away at his massive shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Dude View Post
    It seems that now they are rethinking the mechs and updating their appearance to fit those newer times...

It's Battletech. The uglier and jankier and junkier it looks, the better it looks. Cool still being relative mind you.

"That is one ugly looking mech"
    "Yeah, but that ugly looking hunk o junk is MY ugly looking hunk o junk"
    Last edited by Karoht; 2011-11-08 at 01:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Weellll...

I obviously don't know how the game is going to implement all this, but the Inner Sphere's tech renaissance started in 3035. It took time to get the new/old tech into production, much less into the field, for a number of reasons - most of which are "logistics" and "finances." Another factor is that in many cases the Succession Wars-era tech was competitive enough with Star-League era gear (some of which came with pretty significant drawbacks of its own, above and beyond the higher pricetag) that you could argue that it wasn't strictly necessary, or at least that it didn't necessarily have to be a fighting force's top priority. The upshot is, the re-equipment of IS forces was a gradual thing over a period of years, so it's not in any way a violation of canon to give players access to lostech or refitted 'Mechs a year before the in-universe publication date of the Technical Readout. It's not like the calendar flipped over to New Year's Day 3050 and everyone said, "Okay, it's time to break out all the high-tech toys now!"

For that matter, the Clan Invasion began in 3048 - in-universe, the TR:3050 is the result of two years' worth of ComStar's efforts to gather intelligence on the invaders. And while only 16 OmniMechs were mentioned in that book, the fluff text in later books makes it clear that many of the models introduced to players much later had actually been around in-universe a lot longer. So once again, canon isn't nearly as restrictive as it might seem at first glance.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Weellll...
    ~snip~
    ... So once again, canon isn't nearly as restrictive as it might seem at first glance.
    Excellent. That is actually rather encouraging.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nostalgia:

The TIE Defender? The thing bristling with guns and missiles and tougher shields/armor than a B-Wing and faster than anything else in the game? With a tractor beam to make it really REALLY faceroll?
    I think he means the King Hell God Emperor Starfighter of Death. The TIE Defender is a thing of beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Dude View Post

It's Battletech. The uglier and jankier and junkier it looks, the better it looks. Cool still being relative mind you.

It is relative, though... to me, the 5-meter-tall trashcan is cannon fodder, while 'Mechs like the Timber Wolf, Bushwhacker, and Atlas are awesome designs.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    It is relative, though... to me, the 5-meter-tall trashcan is cannon fodder, while 'Mechs like the Timber Wolf, Bushwhacker, and Atlas are awesome designs.
    Ugh, the bushwacker. I agree on the Wolfie though, it's iconic. As far as I go, it's the Cauldron Born, Timberwolf, Goshawk and Cougar that are things of beauty.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Ugh, the bushwacker. I agree on the Wolfie though, it's iconic. As far as I go, it's the Cauldron Born, Timberwolf, Goshawk and Cougar that are things of beauty.
    But all fall sort of the beauty that is the Fafnir!

I kid, I kid.

Honest the more I hear about this game; I get happy and sad. Growing tech? awesome, but the clans WILL have an early advantage. So all maps are urban fights negating the range advantage, despite that being THE bugaboo for both cultures? okay.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

18. - Top - End - #108

I've noticed a distinct lack of people showing interest in the promised battlefield command / Lance leader roll.

Everyone seems to want to go to their normal combat scenario. Speaking of which, I wonder how long it'll take in the game to get into something that fires an absurd amount of LRM-20s
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Hatomoto-Chi still takes the cake for being the most ridiculous thing on the battlefield. Everything else is built for purpose, guns up front, bristling engines of death... very few "sleek go-fast" designs, except maybe some outliers like the Raven that are built specifically to be sleek and go-fast. And in walks this mech that looks like it was designed by someone who watched anime just so they could learn Japanese so he could pick up Asian chicks (but it doesn't work because he's always hitting on Koreans). It's got tiny little ankles that look like they couldn't hold up a mech half its size. It has calf/boot flares. It's got hat/antenna/horn things that will be blown off in the first salvo. I give it points for having a hand with which it can slap thee mightily. But... dude... seriously?

The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.

20. - Top - End - #110

I've noticed a distinct lack of people showing interest in the promised battlefield command / Lance leader roll.

Everyone seems to want to go to their normal combat scenario. Speaking of which, I wonder how long it'll take in the game to get into something that fires an absurd amount of LRM-20s
    I'm interested, but only to a point. Depends on the interface mostly.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    I gotta sig this.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh, I'm interested, it's just that you're commanding groups of GIANT ROBOTS from the cockpit of a GIANT ROBOT. The GIANT ROBOTS tend to overtake the rest of the conversation in preliminary analysis. The info warfare will come in once we know more about its implementation.

...I also hope we'll have an integrated music player system or something. Nothing goes with GIANT ROBOTS like the power of ROCK. Except occasionally rap and the lamentations of the women.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-11-08 at 06:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    like the power of ROCK.
    Man, those guys are amateurs.

This is how you apply the power of rock to your giant robot.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wait, someone actually wants the fruitless and thankless job of giving battlefield orders to strangers in a F2P game? It'll be like herding cats - or more accurately, like herding LOLcats.

25. - Top - End - #115

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Wait, someone actually wants the fruitless and thankless job of giving battlefield orders to strangers in a F2P game? It'll be like herding cats - or more accurately, like herding LOLcats.
    It's fairly simple, just have it work like Battlefield. The leader gives an order, if people follow that order both get points for doing it. If there's an incentive for following the squad order and there's any level of teamwork going on then everyone wins.

Especially as it seems like teams of 4 is what they're going for, so you probably won't be playing with randoms that often.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2011-11-08 at 06:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Man, those guys are amateurs.

This is how you apply the power of rock to your giant robot.
    ...Valid point, except against Masaaki Endoh, one of the founding members of JAM Project.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    As a perspective artillery dude, I do need someone to make sure the herded LOLcats don't leave me alone to get shredded by a closer-range mechs, do some scanning, and deal with information. And then I can unleash a hellstorm that countermeasure systems gain sentience JUST TO WEEP ABOUT.

The exhaust from the missiles will create a second sun!
    THE CON-TRAILS WILL DARKEN THE SKIES AS IF IN A HURRICANE!

Sorry, kind of dakka'd out there.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just wish I got to play the TT game more. I want to be excited about this... but I haven't been playing many computer games lately and don't ever feel like putting in the time to pick up an MMO any more. But if its good, and reasonable FTP then I'll probably give it a go.

As for the clan invasion, the biggest issue I have with the clan tech is that it is simply better. Its not conditionally better, its just better. It doesn't trade an advantage like range for increased heat or reduced damage, it doesn't even take more weight or slots to equip it. And its not just weapons, its structure, engines, and just about everything else.
    They just increased the BV of the items so you get less of them in an even match, which is fair enough from a large scale tactical balance sense but just seems to cause problems if you aren't careful, especially in smaller games and I don't see any good way of doing it right in a single mech per player system.

Favorite weapons... I have a soft spot for the AC20. Sure, it has a lot of shortcomings and its a pain to fit in anything, but it has the oh-crap feel that no other gun does.
    Long range I like the flexibility of the RAC5.
    But of course it depends a lot on when and what size 'Mechs you are fielding. A large bank of ERMLs can cause a lot of damage and is pretty reliable but its only slight less easy-mode then the ERMPL spam.
    Um, not sure if this counts or not but a least im MW4 the clan weapons did generate more heat than the IC equifalents. Speaking of MW4, anyone else hoping for a Solaris mode?
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    For that matter, the Clan Invasion began in 3048
    3049 at 'The Rock' where Phelan Kell is captured by Clan Wolf while tracking some bandits.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Clan units had double heat sinks while IS ones had single models. Thus Clan mechs ran cooler than the IS versions. This is generally ignored in the video games thus far.