New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mechwarrior Online Announced!

This may be an odd question that I must have missed somewhere, but, um, how does the game work?

Is it planet-side open world grab a gun and start shooting, or is it going to be like world of tanks, where you matchmake in?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Clan units had double heat sinks while IS ones had single models. Thus Clan mechs ran cooler than the IS versions. This is generally ignored in the video games thus far.
    To my knowledge, all game take place after 3050; when the grey death core had been long since recovered and a massive amount of data was being deciphered. Double Heat sinks were the first thing all the Successor States reverse engineered.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stabbybelkar View Post
    Um, not sure if this counts or not but a least im MW4 the clan weapons did generate more heat than the IC equifalents.
    The Clan energy weapons generate more heat, as you're comparing ER to standard. The Sphere has access to ER energy tech, but they don't see the Clan's boost in laser damage or all of the extra range. In the end, if heat is a primary concern (which it often is in IS laser 'Mechs, though even IS Double Heat Sinks help with that problem), you'll probably want to stick with the standard lasers, which generate less heat than the ER versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    This may be an odd question that I must have missed somewhere, but, um, how does the game work?

Is it planet-side open world grab a gun and start shooting, or is it going to be like world of tanks, where you matchmake in?
    We don't know yet. I would assume something similar to the latter.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    We don't know yet. I would assume something similar to the latter.
    I'm kind of hoping for more open world stuff. Shifting objectives, skirmishes that keep escalating, then someone brings in an assault lance and all hell breaks loose.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #125

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    From what they've said about the world persistence, I'd expect it to be something like Chromehounds. A persistent online map fought over by three or more factions, your squad can move between factions, and you get into games by choosing a battle (ie. choosing a map and gamemode) and it matchmakes you into a game of that game type on that map. Whoever wins earns some points for their faction towards controlling that planet.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    From what they've said about the world persistence, I'd expect it to be something like Chromehounds. A persistent online map fought over by three or more factions, your squad can move between factions, and you get into games by choosing a battle (ie. choosing a map and gamemode) and it matchmakes you into a game of that game type on that map. Whoever wins earns some points for their faction towards controlling that planet.
    This is kinda what I am hoping for too with wins earning you rep with whatever house you declare for as a merc.

They have said that maps will be a conquest mode rather than a deathmatch like World of Tanks, so we will have points to capture and actual objectives besides just blowing up the other side.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Breltar View Post
    This is kinda what I am hoping for too with wins earning you rep with whatever house you declare for as a merc.

They have said that maps will be a conquest mode rather than a deathmatch like World of Tanks, so we will have points to capture and actual objectives besides just blowing up the other side.
    It's Mechwarrior. Blowing up the other side is the best objective of all.

Actually, a mechanic I hope to see.
    If a certain group holds a certain objective for too long, Clan just drop out of the sky and come try and take it. In ever increasing waves.

It would make for some fun sneaky backstabby stuff.
    "Okay fellas, we gotta take that facility back or... wait what's that? Oh crap, Clan. Lets see how this goes down."
    PvP based very very heavily around the theory that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" ...for now.

But if that doesn't happen I won't lose sleep. Just think it would be cool, once the clan invasion starts. Especially on clan controlled worlds.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2011-11-09 at 11:14 AM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    To my knowledge, all game take place after 3050; when the grey death core had been long since recovered and a massive amount of data was being deciphered. Double Heat sinks were the first thing all the Successor States reverse engineered.
    MechWarrior 1 - 3024-3028
    MechWarrior 2 - 3057
    MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - ~3039/40
    MechWarrior 3 - Post Operation Bulldog/Task Force Serpent (3060)
    MechWarrior 4 - 3064
    MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries - 3066-3067
    MechCommander: 3059
    MechCommander 2: ~3063
    MechAssault Series: Not sure... guessing ~3062.
    Battletech: The Crecent Hawks' Inception: 3028
    Battletech: The Crecent Hawks' Revenge: 3028-3052

Edit: Note, this is from what I gleaned of Sarna & other Wikis. I inferred dates with the tildes. Feel free to impress me with your upbergeekdom by correcting my pathetic stupidity.
    Last edited by GungHo; 2011-11-09 at 11:20 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Out of curiosity, do you guys prefer the Inner Sphere names for the mechs or the Clan ones? I prefer the clan names but I'm biased; Mechwarrior 2 used the Clan names and not only was that where I got introduced to BattleTech, it was the first video game I had ever played ever. As a result, every time I hear someone call the Timber Wolf a Mad Cat, I die a little inside.
    Last edited by stabbybelkar; 2011-11-12 at 07:26 PM.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stabbybelkar View Post
    Out of curriousity, do you guys prefer the Inner Sphere names for the mechs or the Clan ones? I prefer the clan names but I'm biased; Mechwarrior 2 used the Clan names and not only was that where I got introduced to BattleTech, it was the first video game I had ever played ever. As a result, everytime I hear someone call the Timber Wolf a Mad Cat, I die a little inside.
    Depends on the name. I like Timber Wolf and Mad Cat about equally. I like Dire Wolf way better than Daishi. And so on.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Ehm, slightly off-topic question: is there still a Battletech tabletop game around? If so, what / where / who, etc..
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

http://bg.battletech.com/

Its now being ran by Catalyst Game Labs. From what I've heard its been making a fairly strong comeback the last few years, though not really having an idea of where it was 15-20 years ago and how far it dropped, I don't really know what that really means. Seems to be a decent group of players in Phoenix when I was down there. But where I'm at now I'm really the only player, but where I'm at now they pretty much only play 40k, so its not exactly a diverse set of people, its also an area without a lot of people.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    They've recently released the 25th Anniversary Introductory Box Set, though it came a bit late. My university's gaming association's resident mecha GM bought the box when it came out, and his BattleTech group got to help him break it in.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo
    MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries - ~3039/40
    3044 till 3052. Covers up to the battle of Tukayyid. Game was interesting as you can buy new mechs and techs as they come on line in the years prior to the invasion. And then get curbstomped anyway until you can salvage some decent clan tech weapons and chassis, and enough to field replacements...

CRITICAL HIT: Heat Sink
    Last edited by Impnemo; 2011-11-14 at 05:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    They've recently released the 25th Anniversary Introductory Box Set, though it came a bit late. My university's gaming association's resident mecha GM bought the box when it came out, and his BattleTech group got to help him break it in.
    There's also megamek/mekwars, which are free, legal implementations of the ruleset. Megamek is the tabletop engine itself, while mekwars is campaign software.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    http://bg.battletech.com/

Its now being ran by Catalyst Game Labs. From what I've heard its been making a fairly strong comeback the last few years, though not really having an idea of where it was 15-20 years ago and how far it dropped, I don't really know what that really means. Seems to be a decent group of players in Phoenix when I was down there. But where I'm at now I'm really the only player, but where I'm at now they pretty much only play 40k, so its not exactly a diverse set of people, its also an area without a lot of people.
    Basically 40k got more mainstream and a ton of folks moved to that and it got a bit more rare to see anyone playing it at all. Recent attempts at reviving the title with the Dark Ages heroclix style games haven't made it come back fully but are helping with the name at least.

Of course... I come from back in the days of Rogue Trader when we had to order Imperial Robots and anything else from the UK and convert currency to british pounds etc. There were a lot more Battletech players back then, as well as historicals and things like that.

We had a boost in sci fi games in the early 90s with things like Full Thrust and such but then GW came along strong around 2000 and basically decimated the competition with their own stores in the mall. This decade has about 90% of the folks playing 40k or Warhammer in my local stores, due to the way that GW markets their products.

I seriously believe it is now easier to market an indie video game than an indie tabletop. Not that Battletech is indie, but it has tried very hard to make a comeback with catalyst at the helm.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Is there anywhere that still sells the 25th Anniversary box set, or was it a limited edition run?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Is there anywhere that still sells the 25th Anniversary box set, or was it a limited edition run?
    I got it from the FLGS that I frequent, but I haven't seen another copy for a while. I've seen some books that are published/republished, but not even a model expansion set or anything.

Just checked the Catalyst site. The Box Set is "not in stock". They do seem to have stock for all the various books themselves. I'm a little sad there's not an apparent producer of new models.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Reaper Miniatures has some minis that are similar, but I am not sure if they are quite on the same scale... there are also the heroclix ones but I think they are discontinued now?

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/cav/

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Guys! You won't believe this! I got invited to the closed Beta! Yes!

*Downloads*

I can't wait!

Edit: Oh wait, I had to fill out a questionaire and send in my system specs. Oh well, I hope for an update soon.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-09-18 at 07:39 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

21. - Top - End - #141
    Barbarian in the Playground

Be careful to not cut yourself with the rough edges the game has, and have fun! Also, you just broke the NDA.

EDIT: It seems there has been a wave of fake invites because the devs derped a bit and sent only the e-mails. Maybe that's the reason of you having to fill that survey.
    Last edited by Rustic Dude; 2012-09-18 at 08:07 PM.
    Wait, what signature?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Dude View Post
    Be careful to not cut yourself with the rough edges the game has, and have fun! Also, you just broke the NDA.

EDIT: It seems there has been a wave of fake invites because the devs derped a bit and sent only the e-mails. Maybe that's the reason of you having to fill that survey.
    I haven't been given a non-Disclosure agreement to sign yet. Besides, they already announced that there is a closed beta, so I wasn't saying anything no one already knew, except that I got invited.

And the survey was mainly on my gaming experience to free to play games, mechwarrior games, hours I play, and specs for the computer I'm using. Pretty much the exact same thing I filled out when I signed up to Blizzard to play their beta games as well. Except (again) this time I got invited.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2012-09-18 at 08:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Dude View Post

Oh my god! Okay, so it turns out that invite was fake. I just got an email apologizing for the accidental beta invite to me. But then they said, as an apology for the mistake, they're going to let me into the beta anyways!

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Oh my god! Okay, so it turns out that invite was fake. I just got an email apologizing for the accidental beta invite to me. But then they said, as an apology for the mistake, they're going to let me into the beta anyways!
    Same thing happened to me. Patching now...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

We need to start dusting the thread off and get the clan together.

26. - Top - End - #146

We need to start dusting the thread off and get the clan together.
    It might be worth examining the non-disclosure agreement. I'm not certain that any worthwhile discussion could be (legally) had on a public forums.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I have read correctly on the Mwo Forums, you can have a discussion if it's only with other Beta players, which means that you've got to do that in the private section of a forum where only Beta Testers can access.

No such luck here.
    Wait, what signature?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

This happened to me as well. I'm hoping to spend some time playing it tomorrow.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal