New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIV: "Pray for 6's!"

Quote Originally Posted by Borgh View Post
    you can take three characters if you like, the Zahny+Obyron combo only takes up one hq slot (page 88, Obyrons entry)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    If you have the points to spare, you can take Zahndrekh, Obyron, and another HQ- since Obyron takes up no HQ slots if the army also includes Zahndrekh.
    Handy! So I can still have Trazyn in my army if I wanted him in. Which I do because a HQ unit that counts as a Socring unit and can never really die as long as I have enough bodies is excellent in my book. Oh yeah and his ability to obliterate hordes of units in one round of combat is fine too
    Last edited by TheNabster; 2011-11-10 at 08:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    as far as using the a different codex goes (due to the fact that black templars are underpowered, out dated, and overpriced), i don't feel that codex SM really goes well with the battle code of the black templars. i was thinking about maybe using the blood angels codex, but without any jump infantry models. that way i could have assaulting troop, without jump packs that is, that roll around in mechanized formations. well in any event, here's what i came up with:

Spoiler
    Show
    hq:
    reclusiarch 130pt
    troop:
    5-man assault squad 125pt
    -power weapon
    -meltagun
    razorback 60pt
    -lasplas
    -dozer blade

5-man assault squad 125pt
    -power weapon
    -meltagun
    razorback 60pt
    -lasplas
    -dozer blade

total 500pt
    Hmm, you'd be much better off taking a Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Also applies to Deathwing - Like Draigowing, you just need 1 metal model (Belial) and then 20 plastic Terminators, which can be found reasonably cheaply.

Of the three, Deathwing is probably the cheapest to buy since you can use generic Terminators which are available in abundance on eBay and the likes, whereas the other two require specific (and fairly recent) models that aren't so easy to get hold of outside of a GW Store.
    And this post here is a winner.

Yeah, I kind of wonder why Deathwing was only fourth reply... :P
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Hmm, you'd be much better off taking a Librarian
    *arms a flamethrower and sets up a machine gun before realizing GPT isn't talking to me*

Insert objective marker joke here! :D
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    *arms a flamethrower and sets up a machine gun before realizing GPT isn't talking to me*

Insert objective marker joke here! :D
    flamer and heavy bolter? Way too schizophrenic, you are much better off with a libarian.
    *rimshot*

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

flamer and heavy bolter? Way too schizophrenic, you are much better off with a libarian.
    *rimshot*
    Hmm, I'm afraid only an Epistolary could make this combination work
    *triple-rimshot*

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

*rimshot*
    *grabs some nails, drags them down a chalkboard*

GlaDOS: THAT'S YOU.

Overreaction is a part of the joke
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-11-10 at 10:46 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone bought the Necron at the shop before I got a chance to check it out, though I assume my brother will have got another copy or two in this week.

Not really much to say, but I needed to mark the thread.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Someone bought the Necron at the shop before I got a chance to check it out, though I assume my brother will have got another copy or two in this week.

Not really much to say, but I needed to mark the thread.
    I've decided to write an analysis of every unit in the codex - I may not be the most qualified 40k player (I think I'm much better at Fantasy), but I've spend a lot of time discussing the new Necrons with a friend of mine who plays them, so I have at least spent a fair amount of time reflecting on them. Just gimme a day or two...
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNabster View Post
    Part of me wants to take Nemesor Zahndrekh without Vanguard Obyron in an army, so I can take another special character like Trazyn, or just a vanilla Overlord. But its just like Creed and Jarren Kell, you can't really field one without the other. I mean you can do it, but it doesn't feel right, and they compliment each other so well anyway.
    Obyron doesn't really synergize with Zahndrekh. In fact, he doesn't synergize with much of anything. He's just combat, and as a combat HQ he's pretty bad. Sure, he gets WS6, but you're paying somewhere around 20 points for the privilege. And sure, his special rule makes him the only Necron HQ capable of threatening other Combat HQs. But with no ++ and very little else, he'd be better off as 3 1/2 Lords with Warscythes. Zahndrekh, though, is good people.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanoi View Post
    Obyron doesn't really synergize with Zahndrekh. In fact, he doesn't synergize with much of anything. He's just combat, and as a combat HQ he's pretty bad. Sure, he gets WS6, but you're paying somewhere around 20 points for the privilege. And sure, his special rule makes him the only Necron HQ capable of threatening other Combat HQs. But with no ++ and very little else, he'd be better off as 3 1/2 Lords with Warscythes. Zahndrekh, though, is good people.
    Obyron is well worth his points. As a utility character he is the only one who can teleport out of combat (which is a place you don't want to be with your I 2) and as a combat character since the majority of things swinging his way are missing half the time you net enough attacks to swing most combats in your favor (or at least enough to even the combat results)

Now as far as synergy that is his middle name when it comes you talk about Zahndrek.
    -basic use of Obyron is best left vs horde armies but works against even smaller elite armies, that is have the two in diffrent units (more often than not zah in a back unit as support and Obyron in the front as counter assault) but when Zahndrek gets assaulted (as he will) Obyron gets to pile in which more often than not means you can sneak him in the rear of units where there is nothing but rank and file (and if its a horde this is a lot of rank and file not normaly getting their attacks) which will do little to nothing to him (being ws 6 they will miss alot (which means more attack) being t 5 they will fail to wound a lot and having a 2+ you will save most if not all that makes it through the first two hurdles ) and thus net him a lot of attacks to again swing the combat in his favor.
    -more useful use for the pair however is the command barge transport method. You drop Zahndrek in his command barge. Which he than turbos to the other side of the board in the most advantageous angle for shooting. Obyron than teleports accurately with 20 warriors (or your preferred unit) next to the barge and unloads on the chosen target. You can rinse and repeat as necessary. Unless your opponent stops the barge (which is not easy being a living metal av 13 vehicle with a cover save which if you are feel like it can have stealth) you can keep doing this and there is very little which stops it since they can teleport out of combat and you can't lock a vehicle in combat
    Check out my horrible homebrews

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by crazedloon View Post
    Obyron gets to pile in which more often than not means you can sneak him in the rear of units where there is nothing but rank and file (and if its a horde this is a lot of rank and file not normaly getting their attacks) which will do little to nothing to him (being ws 6 they will miss alot (which means more attack)
    Anything with a WS above 2 is hitting on 4s, right? Unless he has some special rule that prevents this.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Also applies to Deathwing - Like Draigowing, you just need 1 metal model (Belial) and then 20 plastic Terminators, which can be found reasonably cheaply.
    Nitpick - is metal Belial still even sold?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    1. It is not useless as if an enemy assaults you without grenades then you get to attack first. Apart from that it is useless but at the same time what army doesn't have at least some ap2/ap1 gear.
    Orks?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Which Armies cost the least?
    Besides options mentioned above, there's also Wolfwing.

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    HW Ava © ETsofu

13. - Top - End - #133

Nitpick - is metal Belial still even sold?
    I don't think so. I use Tyberos the Red Wake as my Lightning claw Belial

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

14. - Top - End - #134

Obyron is well worth his points. As a utility character he is the only one who can teleport out of combat (which is a place you don't want to be with your I 2) and as a combat character since the majority of things swinging his way are missing half the time you net enough attacks to swing most combats in your favor (or at least enough to even the combat results)
    An opponent that knows about his special rules is only going to be swinging at him with things that can hurt him. So, Fists and Co and MCs. His Ghost Shroud is essentially just a fancy Hit And Run unless you have Zahndrehk perfectly positioned 9 1/2" behind the combat.

-basic use of Obyron is best left vs horde armies but works against even smaller elite armies, that is have the two in diffrent units (more often than not zah in a back unit as support and Obyron in the front as counter assault) but when Zahndrek gets assaulted (as he will) Obyron gets to pile in which more often than not means you can sneak him in the rear of units where there is nothing but rank and file (and if its a horde this is a lot of rank and file not normaly getting their attacks) which will do little to nothing to him (being ws 6 they will miss alot (which means more attack) being t 5 they will fail to wound a lot and having a 2+ you will save most if not all that makes it through the first two hurdles ) and thus net him a lot of attacks to again swing the combat in his favor.
    I think you can do better with 160 points than this.

-more useful use for the pair however is the command barge transport method. You drop Zahndrek in his command barge. Which he than turbos to the other side of the board in the most advantageous angle for shooting. Obyron than teleports accurately with 20 warriors (or your preferred unit) next to the barge and unloads on the chosen target. You can rinse and repeat as necessary. Unless your opponent stops the barge (which is not easy being a living metal av 13 vehicle with a cover save which if you are feel like it can have stealth) you can keep doing this and there is very little which stops it since they can teleport out of combat and you can't lock a vehicle in combat
    For 700 points, you too can rapid-fire with 20 Necron Warriors.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Indeed. It just occurred to me last night that Nemesor Zandrekh's Adaptive Tactics doesn't specify friendly infantry units. Hello there, Stealthed Monolith!
    How in the name of the Emperor are you going to get a Monolith a cover save to use Stealth with, though?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    How in the name of the Emperor are you going to get a Monolith a cover save to use Stealth with, though?
    Half-hiding it behind the wrecked carcasses of its predecessors.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Second Monolith!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
    Anything with a WS above 2 is hitting on 4s, right? Unless he has some special rule that prevents this.
    No, I'm pretty sure at WS 6, WS 3 and maybe WS 4 would also need 5+ to hit...

The weapon skill to-hit table is one of the most annoying to memorize, simply because it goes from 3+ to 5+.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

19. - Top - End - #139
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Or Third Monolith! At 600 points for the three, and no Phase Out rules, it's a bad idea but not awful. Just hunker down behind and wait for your reserves to trigger (maybe with the Special Character that re-rolls reserves), and drop a Wall O' Monoliths in front of your enemy's army.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Or Third Monolith! At 600 points for the three, and no Phase Out rules, it's a bad idea but not awful. Just hunker down behind and wait for your reserves to trigger (maybe with the Special Character that re-rolls reserves), and drop a Wall O' Monoliths in front of your enemy's army.
    Except for the living metal nerf, since now Meltaguns can cut through the Monolith's armor just like they do a Landraider, and landraiders at least can move at cruising speed.
    Last edited by Squark; 2011-11-10 at 03:32 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure at WS 6, WS 3 and maybe WS 4 would also need 5+ to hit...

The weapon skill to-hit table is one of the most annoying to memorize, simply because it goes from 3+ to 5+.
    I've never had a problem. If your WS is higher, you hit on 3's. If your WS is 2x higher plus 1, so WS 7 vs Ws 3, for example, your opponent hits on 5's.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Second Monolith!
    Actualy, in my club we have a lot of city ruins, most of thos would give cover to a monolith.

The problem is it kinda needs to move forward to be of any value, since it doesnt have the firepower to hand around at the back and poke people.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    12 Boyz and a Nob with a Klaw are usually enough to see off most non-Assault units on the charge, so I tend to go with lots of smaller Boyz units. For large opponent units or tougher assaulty stuff, just assault with multiple units on the same turn.
    Don't you want large units in order to gain fearless? Ld 7 ain't going to hold for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Alright, Necrons or Dark Eldar? Which one should I go for?
    What playstyle do you prefer? Fast elite, or tough hordlike (still some what elite).

Besides options mentioned above, there's also Wolfwing.
    Wolfguards?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #144
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Maybe stealth to Deathmarks and shot everything, or to a Ghost ark.. BUt to a monolith, seems stupid.
    Still, that skill its pretty nice, you can use furious charge in wraits or something like that.. that HQ, is PRETTY nice.

a 1500 list. What do you guys THink?

Spoiler
    Show

Imotek The Stormlord . 225
    Nemezor Zandrek.........185

Ghost Ark 115
    Ghost Ark 115
    Catacomb Command Barage w/ Imotek 80

9 Warriors 117
    10 Warriors 130

6 Wraiths with Whip coils 260 ( One Doesnt have Whip )
    6 Wraiths with Whip Coils 270

TOTAL: 1497 - For a 1500 list.

I think its pretty offensive and can deal with alot of armies.
    Im not sure.. still a prototype or thinking.
    Tell me your thougts
    Last edited by filvento; 2011-11-10 at 04:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

I gotta say, im personaly not that caught up on the stormlord myself.

Have you consideret the posibility of replacing him with a destroyer lord, to run around with the Wraiths?
    Imo those 2 units synergise really well.

Also, you are kinda low on models, isnt around 32 men a bit low in a 1500 point army?

Im also thinking only having 2 vehicles in 1500 points will mean that they get blown appart far to quickly to be worth taking.

As for the wraiths, i would like to recomend taking them with 2*pistol and 2*times whip.
    The pistols should give them an additional attack in CC, and that combination allows for wound allocation shenanigans.

Lasty, imo no Necron army is complete without a lot of scarabs
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2011-11-10 at 04:54 PM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by filvento View Post
    6 Wraiths with Whip coils 260 ( One Doesnt have Whip )
    6 Wraiths with Whip Coils 270
    Well, first you could break them up into 3 units of 4. Also, at most half of the unit needs Whip Coils. In fact....

Wraiths x4 - 170
    - 1x Particle Caster
    - 1x Whip Coils
    - 1x Whip Coils and Particle Caster

can play Dancing Wounds. Which is pretty nasty with 3++.

Other than that, you're probably spending a bit too much on HQs. I'd probably drop Imotek, his Command Barge, and 4 or so wraiths for another squad of Warriors and maybe some Lords to lead them or a Destroy Lord for the Wraiths. Probably some Scarabs too.
    Last edited by Arcanoi; 2011-11-10 at 05:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I think the Stormlord can be Great.. maybe its a bit expensive. But you can play with Night rules alot! You cant get destroyed but any GI or anything.. till you get ready for rapid fire.. and, their units get destroyed by the storm in the first turns..
    Mybe it can be
    4 Wraiths
    4 Wraiths.. so i dont spend that many poin ts and 2x pistols 2 whipcoils

What would you guys add? More warriors?

28. - Top - End - #148

I'm thinking that a horde-like army would be neat, especially if it had a few powerful peoples to go with it.
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

29. - Top - End - #149

I've been having mixed reactions to the Necron update. Some of the stuff is pretty cool (like always), but why are the Imperium the only side to get versitile units that can deal with anything?
    What's wrong with adaptable tactics xenos? *crys silently*
    ...Ahem.
    Anyway:

Wraiths are awesome, but they alas can only take one of the options each. My prefered wound allocation currently is:

1 wraith bare
    1 wraith with particle pistol
    2 wraiths with whip coils
    total: 165

And yes, Wraiths paired with a Destroyer Lord are exactly as vicious as they look. Screw Lychguard.

Also, am I a bad person, or merely a bad list builder? I looked at the dex for the first time and came up with the horror below. Be aware...I like lightning...ALOT.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechrons
    or "Deep strike mishaps, a Demonstration"

Orikan the Diviner -165pts
    6 Immortals with Gauss Blasters in a Night Scythe - 202pts
    6 Immortals with Gauss Blasters in a Night Scythe
    Doom Scythe - 175pts
    Doom Scythe
    Doom Scythe
    Final Cost: - 1498pts

The look on their faces when your army comes in from nowhere on turn 2... and then explodes against the terrain: - Priceless

I then made some alterations and extensions and created this monstrosity:

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechrons MKII
    or Riders on the Storm

Orikan the Diviner - 165pts
    Imhotek the Stormlord - 225pts
    Royal Court (Lord with Tesseract Labyrinth, Harbinger of Eternity with Chronometron) - 95pts
    5 Warriors in a Night Scythe - 165
    5 Warriors in a Night Scythe
    Doom Scythe - 175pts
    Doom Scythe
    Doom Scythe
    Final Total: - 2000pts

This one actually has some thought put into it. *gasp!*
    Primarily about what happens when a Harbinger of Eternity (which I originally thought were...less than stella...) is paired with Imhotek or Orikan.
    Answer: Instant C'tan or rerollable Lightning. When you control time, Empowerment really DOES last longer!

I quite like the Night Scythe's "Don't Disembark on Death" thing. it means you don't have to assign any troops to guard your own objectives, as when the Night Scythes start dropping out of the sky, the troops they were carrying can enter on your board edge and just walk to them. Meanwhile the ones who actually disembarked can attack the enemy.

I actually don't intend for everything in this one to be in Deep Strike, just the Doom Scythes so they can drop into optimal Tank Busting position, what with the whole Range 12" issue. The Kight-Sighs on the other hand run around in the dark at Cruising speed, looking for side shots on enemy vehicles, or units within 6" of each other to "Pray-for-6's!" at.

Not sure if I have enough Strength 7 Lightning though, is 36 Twinlinked shots really enough?...*

(incidently, math hammer gives around 25-48~ish Destructor hits...if they all fire...which they will never get to. )

*Health Warning: Buying 9 Night/Doom Scythe kits has been known to cause spontaneous-wallet-combustion. Seek professional advice.
    Last edited by Voidhawk; 2011-11-10 at 07:42 PM.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

An opponent that knows about his special rules is only going to be swinging at him with things that can hurt him. So, Fists and Co and MCs. His Ghost Shroud is essentially just a fancy Hit And Run unless you have Zahndrehk perfectly positioned 9 1/2" behind the combat.
    Except that if you are base to base with him you must swing at him. As the necron player you can use this to your advantage by keeping him in the back of the unit making it hard for your opponent to reach him. Than with his pile in move you can place him base to base 2 or more enemy models and keep the rest of your models away. This nets you on average 2 attacks (2 models charging have 4 attacks at the least hitting only half the time)

Why must Zahndrehk be so close to the combat to work? Part of the advantage of the two together is that you can make a rather swift hit and run force with necrons.

I think you can do better with 160 points than this.
    Ok what is it, if you can do better what would you use.
    Check out my horrible homebrews