1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail in the Playground [FTITP]

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Name: Emilia MacCrowley

Alignment: Lawful Good

Magic: Spirit Sense, Necromancy, Spirit Summoning

Guild: None at the moment

Appearance: Emilia, standing at 5'9'' and 125 lbs, is an attractive young woman of noble birth with features far too clean for the peasantry. She usually ties her long, black hair back into something presentable but professional. As a teenager, she had a very goth sense of fashion, common among her family for the death imagery, and while she grew out of that phase a while ago, it still influences her fashion choice, preferring mostly black with other dark clothing, in styles that are practical and professional yet still somewhat fashionable. She rarely wears accessories, except for several trinkets that are symbolic of the pacts she's made.

Background: The MacCrowley family has a long, respected, and feared tradition of necromancy. In fact, they might be the only necromancers not branded as dark wizards by the magic council. The members of the family often come off as cold and distant, and are often feared among the general public due to the stigma associated with their art. Emilia left her family to finish her training and to distance herself from this stigma. Over her training, she formed contracts with many spirits, but eventually those contracts ended, and without official guild work she lost all but her most loyal spirit, York. Currently, she's seeking employment with an official licensed mage guild, but the fact that she's a self-proclaimed necromancer alone makes her untrustworthy to others.

Magic:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spirit Sense – Emilia has a sixth sense regarding the souls of the dead, normally imperceptible to human beings. She can locate and communicate with spirits that haven't crossed over yet. This also means she is able to communicate with otherwise mindless undead such as zombies and is able to identify more camouflaged undead like vampires by their true nature. Such spirits are not as common as one would first assume, and it's often rare that Emilia finds such a spirit.

Necromancy – Necromancy has developed a reputation as dark, death magic over the years, but most people forget that necromancy is also the magic of life. Evil necromancers abuse their powers by enslaving souls and raising their own army of undead, but Emilia uses her magic only for good. The basic fundamentals include healing magic that restores life and death magic to wound enemies. While she could in theory directly bring someone back to life or kill someone with this magic, that level of necromancy requires such a great cost of magic it would actually damage her soul, possibly irreparably. All she can actually do is some minor healing magic and shoot rays of necrotic energy that can wound enemies.

Spirit Summoning - While this level of Necromancy does allow her to technically fight on her own, she primarily forms mutual contracts with lost souls who haven't quite passed on to the afterlife. She can then summon the spirits in artificial bodies, combining the force of their soul with her own for a formidable magical combo, and give her access to new abilities and types of magic. At the moment, she only has two spirits she can summon: York and Raven, but she can form pacts with other powerful souls she finds. As an important distinction, Emilia only makes pacts with the souls of the deceased that haven't crossed over to the afterlife for whatever reason.

York - A longtime servant of the MacCrowley family and Emilia's go-to spirit and familiar. When not in combat with Emilia, York takes the form of a skull with two bat-like wings that flies around. While he has no combat capabilities in this form, he can awkwardly manipulate objects with his teeth or one wing. When Emilia summons York for combat, however, he takes the form of a skeletal swordsman in a full tuxedo and cape. In this form, York is fast and a cunning expert swordsman. He doesn't have strong magic capabilities as he wasn't a mage in his past life, but he was a showman, so York can use what magic power he does have for brilliant displays of illusion and sleight of hand, even manipulating shadows to mask his attacks.

Raven Windtalker - This spirit of Emilia's is relatively new, Emilia having only made the contract about a week ago. Raven was the chief of a now extinct shamanistic tribe. In the process of ensuring that the tribe's sacred land was respected, Emilia forged a contract with the shaman. His form in combat is that of a shamanistic warrior with the head of an eagle and large feathered clothing and a headress. Raven is a powerful fighter, able to use geomancy to manipulate the earth and wind, letting him summon tornadoes or reshape the earth itself. However, the power behind his magic depends completely on where he is. If he's on sacred ground, especially that of his homeland, his magic is easily S-class material, able to make the earth open up and swallow even armies instantly and summon full-sized tornadoes. On any other natural ground, he's still powerful, but his tornadoes are only large enough to envelop a man and he can still do some earthbending. On city or otherwise manufactured ground, he loses a lot of his strength, and if he were moving (say on a vehicle), he'd be nearly powerless as it'd be impossible to attune himself to the earth below him. Conversely, the longer Raven spends in an area, the more attuned he becomes with the earth, and the stronger he becomes.

First profile up for approval and such.
    Just making sure, she's supposed to be S rank yes?
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2011-11-08 at 11:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Just making sure, she's supposed to be S rank yes?
    Depends on what spirit she uses. Right now, York is fairly weak and mostly relies on trickery, and with Raven it depends on where she's fighting. If the battle is on some sort of sacred ground like a cemetery, with Raven she can easily reach S-Class.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

I still think Raven is...quite powerful. If they are in fact Summon Spirits I think Lucy is a pretty good base line. So...if I may make some suggestions? I'll state now that I like fluff...Fluff is a big thing for me and you've got it but...let me get my shears.

I understand she's summoning the Spirits of past people but Summons seem to have one power between them. While she's not over powered...she's got the distinct chance of growing into such very swiftly if she gets to many summons. I would say limit each summon to one power to each. If you feel that limits her down

If they're summons I would also ask that you stick to the Key system of the established world. You could even fluff them to be Skeleton Keys instead of the Silver/Gold and give them a system for really powerful summons and not so powerful summons. It would expand the Summoning World and give possible story arcs later in the future where your character would be a key focus for sure.

The other problem with these games is plots dry up if there isn't at least a little set up for them. I understand that I'm sorta coming in and trying to prune characters but Free Form does run the risk of overpowered characters. I'm also not making these suggestions only after conferring with myself, others have put their heads together on this. I am also not insinuating you or Anime or anyone else would make overpowered characters on purpose. Just...adding my two cents.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's okay, if I know Bob (and I probably don't) me and him have the same problem. We get too into character creation. We have this awesome character in our heads and we just want to see them through and how they will interact with their world. Then we forget that their abilities are cool but that can be overpowered. Me? I need people to tell me how to fine tune my character other wise I can get carried away. It's people like you Teb that help us play in a way that's fun for everyone.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as people don't think I'm being a jerk. I put story in front of power to be honest. As you'll note each tweak suggestion I've mentioned has been for the express purpose of opening up story. Story is the most important aspect of Free Form, because it's all there is to the whole project.

You can even ask Callos, just off his power he told me about I already have a fairly good story arc idea to set up the first conflict against Twilight Reconciliation and Fairy Tail.

Hopefully we'll get some more interest, would be great to get some more Fairy Tail people

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I still think Raven is...quite powerful. If they are in fact Summon Spirits I think Lucy is a pretty good base line. So...if I may make some suggestions? I'll state now that I like fluff...Fluff is a big thing for me and you've got it but...let me get my shears.

I understand she's summoning the Spirits of past people but Summons seem to have one power between them. While she's not over powered...she's got the distinct chance of growing into such very swiftly if she gets to many summons. I would say limit each summon to one power to each. If you feel that limits her down

If they're summons I would also ask that you stick to the Key system of the established world. You could even fluff them to be Skeleton Keys instead of the Silver/Gold and give them a system for really powerful summons and not so powerful summons. It would expand the Summoning World and give possible story arcs later in the future where your character would be a key focus for sure.
    All right, time to step in the ring. ((jk, I've been on both sides of the character "pruning" process before ))

I don't really understand the bit about one power per Spirit, mostly because they already have only one power per spirit. York is a swordsman with minor legerdemain magic resembling stage magic which at best functions as a distraction. Raven is a geomancer whose strength is severely limited by the location of the battle. Best-case scenario Raven can dish out some damage in a cemetery or something, but even then he can't reach that level without spending enough time in an area to become attuned to it first. By comparison, Lucy started out with Cancer, whose probably equivalent to York in terms of power (that is to say, pretty weak), Aquarius, who could create entire tidal waves and pretty much one-shotted anyone she fought, Tauros, a brute with a giant axe, and four Silver Key spirits as well. Emilia has two spirits thus far, period.

While recruitment of new spirits was always the plan, I wasn't planning on doing any more than one per arc, and even then any new spirits would have to be set up for approval just as submitting for any new character would. In truth, I don't have many ideas for future spirits yet. It completely depends on where the RP goes and what opportunities the RP represents.

I could do the Skeleton Keys thing if you really want. It wouldn't be too much of a problem. I avoided that route at first because it seemed too much like Lucy. As long as its clear that the spirits Emilia summons are completely different from the Celestial Spirits. That's one toe I don't need to be stepping on.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I used Lucy as kinda a base line. York isn't the issue really and Raven wouldn't be but he does have more than one power. Much like in D&D versatility is really really powerful. He has one "power" but that one "power" grants him more than one...power as it were in a physical sense. If Raven had just the tornado summons or the earth powers, even at the level he has it at, that wouldn't be so bad. But I would at the very least classify them as separate powers because they're not similar.

As for the Skeleton Keys and stuff...only to keep Summoning aesthetically similar. Different magics but similar concept really if you think about it. It's like Netherworld Summoning essentially.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't really understand the bit about one power per Spirit, mostly because they already have only one power per spirit. York is a swordsman with minor legerdemain magic resembling stage magic which at best functions as a distraction. Raven is a geomancer whose strength is severely limited by the location of the battle. Best-case scenario Raven can dish out some damage in a cemetery or something, but even then he can't reach that level without spending enough time in an area to become attuned to it first. By comparison, Lucy started out with Cancer, whose probably equivalent to York in terms of power (that is to say, pretty weak), Aquarius, who could create entire tidal waves and pretty much one-shotted anyone she fought, Tauros, a brute with a giant axe, and four Silver Key spirits as well. Emilia has two spirits thus far, period.
    I think it's more because geomancer is such a broad kind of magic, and isn't really a single 'power'. Every mage has magic of one kind or another, and it always has a lot of varied uses. That's essentially what Raven is, an additional mage that travels with Emilia who has an exceptionally broad form of magic. As opposed to York who's a swordsman (and skeleton swordsman is awesomely cool), the 'magic' is as you said basically just showmanship and York's thing is swordsmanship at heart and any fancy sword moves he might have still fall under his swordmanship. Raven's is...lots of different tricks. Earthquakes, tornados, growing more powerful based on where he/she/it is, and whatever else might fall under geomancy. Er...is my point getting across? I ask because I tend to ramble and have trouble actually stating my point.

My basic point is that Raven (and a good guideline for future spirits Skeleton, Celestial, or otherwise) has multiple tricks or powers, which could step on someone's toes or keep someone from using a concept. It might be better to narrow their focus down, so that Emilia (and any other summoners) actually have a reason to acquire more spirits, to cover the failings of the ones they have. It's a motivator for them to go on adventure.

While recruitment of new spirits was always the plan, I wasn't planning on doing any more than one per arc, and even then any new spirits would have to be set up for approval just as submitting for any new character would. In truth, I don't have many ideas for future spirits yet. It completely depends on where the RP goes and what opportunities the RP represents.

I could do the Skeleton Keys thing if you really want. It wouldn't be too much of a problem. I avoided that route at first because it seemed too much like Lucy. As long as its clear that the spirits Emilia summons are completely different from the Celestial Spirits. That's one toe I don't need to be stepping on.
    Good to see, having goals and ideas for story are essential for FFRPGs! And don't worry about being too much like Lucy, it's not bad to take inspiration from a canon character, or even someone else's character, as long as you put your own twists and personal touches on them. Emilia definitely is different from Lucy in my mind.

That said, if you do go the Skeleton Keys route (I like it just because of the name and implied imagery, I'll be completely honest >.>), I think there's some serious plot potential with how and why Emilia's keys and necromancy is different from the normal Silver Keys and Celestial Keys. Maybe someone, a long time ago, tried to create a new set of Celestial Keys but instead of using summoned creatures (which tend to have their own personalities which can interfere with using them (see Virgo and Leo to his previous summoner)), used the spirits of the dead to avoid getting any 'sass' from one's servants. For one reason or another though, the process went wrong/right(?) and created the Skeleton Keys!

...Or maybe Zeref made them, as he tends to make evilly looking things. With the stigma attached to them coming from using ANYTHING Zeref made, especially with everyone waiting for them to do something horrible.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I used Lucy as kinda a base line. York isn't the issue really and Raven wouldn't be but he does have more than one power. Much like in D&D versatility is really really powerful. He has one "power" but that one "power" grants him more than one...power as it were in a physical sense. If Raven had just the tornado summons or the earth powers, even at the level he has it at, that wouldn't be so bad. But I would at the very least classify them as separate powers because they're not similar.

As for the Skeleton Keys and stuff...only to keep Summoning aesthetically similar. Different magics but similar concept really if you think about it. It's like Netherworld Summoning essentially.
    Hm... I have to think about Raven then. On the one hand his name is Raven Windtalker and has a bird motif, so the wind powers would be more appropriate. On the other hand, his magic is supposed to be derived from the ground he's fighting on, so earth would be more appropriate. Gotta think on that one a bit.

In the meantime, I've got a second target for your pruning shears:

To give you a baseline, if Emilia was my Lucy, then Skye would be my Natsu.

Name: Skye

Alignment: Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral, depending on his mood.

Magic: Storm Magic

Guild: Fairy Tail

Mage Rank: A. He could probably qualify for S-Rank if he ever passed the exam or gave a damn.

Appearance: Skye stands at about 5'8'' at 165 lbs, being on the short and skinny side, but he's still quite athletic. He lets his long, white-grey hair flow freely, and his facial expressions vary between an almost berserk excitement, a disgusted boredom, or a giddy laughter depending on his mood. He usually wears simple, tight clothing and almost always wears a t-shirt with some sort of storm art on it. He's known for being a major prick, and that's if he likes you. His preference for fighting and excitement lets him fit right in at Fairy Tail.

Background: Skye's mother is a cold-hearted bureaucratic professor of a magic academy, his father a dreaded pirate captain and not the fun swashbuckling kind. The two at some point conceived a child, a fact which confuses and frustrates Skye to no end. Skye doesn't talk much about his childhood, but he spent some time with both parents individually for some time in his past. He's as experienced with the inside of a magic academy as he is the deck of a pirate ship. At some point he broke free from their rule, and he always insists on several things: that every last bit of his magic is completely self-taught, his parents are cold-hearted evil bastards of the worst variety, and that one day he will find both his parents so he can kill them personally. He spent some time doing mercenary jobs as well as mage jobs that were “less than legal.” When it became finally time to join a guild, he initially thought he'd sign up with a Dark Guild because of his attitude alone. However, he found that all the Dark Guilds he could find were too weak or too melodramatic. He was offered membership at Fairy Tail from the previous guildmaster after he “helped” some Fairy Tail mages take down a previous Dark Guild, by which I mean he was already there causing destruction at the Dark Guild for the hell of it and the Fairy Tail guildmaster took an interest in him. He was initially skeptical about the guild because of its name alone (after all, who would want to label themselves a fairy?) but the rowdiness and lawlessness of the guild sold it to him. He'll never claim to be a loyal member, but the fact is he's enjoying himself at Fairy Tail.

Magic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Skye's Storm Magic is completely self-taught and is mainly used to control lightning. Besides the obvious use of lightning bolts, below are some of the specialized spells Skye uses.

Shocking Finger: Skye is no stranger to melee combat. Charging up electricity in his hand(s) turns even a glancing blow into a shocking suprise.

Electric Vengeance: A completely passive magic. Skye has personal space issues. By that he means he doesn't like to be touched. By that he means if you do touch him, whether he realizes it or not, his lightning magic will automatically shock you. Now in casual circumstances, this shock is just enough to make a crackling noise and enough pain to surprise but not wound a target. But in the heat of battle, Electric Vengeance is strengthened so that any bare-handed or melee attack on Skye gets a full lightning bolt in return.

Thunderhead: One of Skye's less battle-friendly spells and more of a prankster type spell, but not without its uses. Skye conjures a tiny thundercloud above the head of a target which follows them around for a few minutes and delivers a tiny lightning bolt every few seconds, again enough to shock but not wound. It's more of an annoyance than an actual attack, but it's still useful for following enemies around plus it's just plain fun.

Shockwave: For when Skye's enemies are just too fast to hit with regular lightning bolts, Skye unleashes a sphere of electrical energy around him, lightning bolts arcing to shock anyone who comes within its radius. It doesn't have near the range of any of his normal lightning spells, but it is far more accurate, relying on conductivity and magnetic forces to hit his opponent instead of just blasting lightning magic at them.

Gigavolt: For when Skye needs to end the fight quick and now. Gigavolt uses up all of Skye's remaining magical energy in a gigantic blast of lightning, the power of which depends on how much magical energy Skye had left when he used it. If Skye's just started to fight and his magical power is at his maximum, then the Gigavolt is a devastating blast that can wipe out entire mobs of opponents. If Skye's only at half magical power, it's no more powerful than a regular lightning bolt of Skye's. Any less and there's no point in using it at all. It's literally an all-or-nothing spell, as once he uses it he's completely out of magical energy and is completely incapable of magic until he's rested long enough to gain some of it back.

Flight:
    Skye can propel himself through the air with magentic forces, giving him reasonably controlled flight.

Other: When it comes to stormy weather, Skye is right at home. Be it rain, sleet, or snow, Skye actually finds stormy weather pleasant. Even in the worst thunderstorms, downpours, or blizzards, he'll go outside in nothing but a t-shirt and if he's in the mood take a nap, and suffer no ill effects. This doesn't apply to artificial magical changes in weather, however, and Skye can definitely tell the difference.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2011-11-09 at 06:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take a look later, as it's close to sleep time. But I would really like to say...we need more low level people here. Everyone is pushing A rank so far. Need some people on both sides lower than that. As it stands the poor Dark Guild actually has the only flat B.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm... I might bump my character down to S-rank- Callos is right, to a degree, in that the guildmaster wouldn't get much play.

That said: I do not think that we should have no guildmaster at all. Absolutely not. Or, at the very least, we should have a 'leadership council'.

...actually here's an idea: the 'guildmaster' is more like the... say, head of a board than a single leader. Our Fairy Tail is lead by a council, consisting of those considered responsible enough (which may or may not = S-Rankers - I kinda like the idea of members of lower power being on the council), and they, collectively, make decisions. The guildmaster brings issues, and moderates, but doesn't have more power than any other councilmember.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by horngeek; 2011-11-09 at 01:28 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

What rank would it be other than S? I mean, so far we've got tons of A and S ranks already. I just worry things are going to be a tad top heavy.

That said: I do not think that we should have no guildmaster at all. Absolutely not. Or, at the very least, we should have a 'leadership council'.

...actually here's an idea: the 'guildmaster' is more like the... say, head of a board than a single leader. Our Fairy Tail is lead by a council, consisting of those considered responsible enough (which may or may not = S-Rankers - I kinda like the idea of members of lower power being on the council), and they, collectively, make decisions. The guildmaster brings issues, and moderates, but doesn't have more power than any other councilmember.

Thoughts?
    That's really up to the players of Fair Tail characters but..

1. I think it's a waste of good story potential

2. There are no members lower than A rank on the Fairy Tale team so...defeats your whole desire for lower level characters to be on said Council
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2011-11-09 at 01:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Hmmm... I might bump my character down to S-rank- Callos is right, to a degree, in that the guildmaster wouldn't get much play.
    This is mostly just a distinction horngeek, but 'guildmaster' isn't a rank in and of itself. It's a title that would be in addition to the rank of the mage holding it. Saying 'bumping down to S-rank' doesn't mean much cause there's no actual change there. To use an example from a different series where it's easier to explain, in Naruto the Hokage is always (well...most likely always) going to be an S-rank ninja...but not every S-rank ninja is the Hokage. Hokage, and guildmaster in this specific case, is a title and separate from the ninja/mage's rank

Thoughts?
    Honestly? It's an interesting thought, but one we should probably hold off for a different guild from Fairy Tail. Simple fact is that for most people joining the game, Fairy Tail is going to be the point of reference and it's the one that should be most like it's canon counter-part just so new players don't have to figure out an entirely different command structure for what should be the 'template' for other guilds.

IC? It makes Fairy Tail seem less like a guild and more like a government. Frankly, any issues and whatnot are likely handled by the people involved with it, the guildmaster would only really be responsible (in my mind) for selecting people to qualify for the S-rank trials, representing the guild to the Council, and handling 'official' guild business like important talks with other guild heads. That's the basic impression I got of a guild master's duties from the series anyway. Not a lot of bureaucracy and whatnot and that's what councils are primarily intended for, as well as being the method of meeting for groups of powerful...well...groups. Unless Fairy Tail has/had lots of sub-groups within it, it doesn't need the mass representation that a council would offer...more importantly, how can it be the lovable party guild if it's bogged down by tribunals and hearings on new guild policy?

More to the point, I don't think Tebyrn meant we shouldn't have a guildmaster period, but rather we don't need to start with one. It's good plot if Fairy Tail is currently lacking it's guild master, and thus direction. OOC, it gives us a chance to see which characters naturally develop for the role, rather then us picking one before the game even starts just to find out a different character might fit the spot better and require messy in-game action to change things.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2011-11-09 at 01:43 AM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Honestly? It's an interesting thought, but one we should probably hold off for a different guild from Fairy Tail. Simple fact is that for most people joining the game, Fairy Tail is going to be the point of reference and it's the one that should be most like it's canon counter-part just so new players don't have to figure out an entirely different command structure for what should be the 'template' for other guilds.

IC? It makes Fairy Tail seem less like a guild and more like a government. Frankly, any issues and whatnot are likely handled by the people involved with it, the guildmaster would only really be responsible (in my mind) for selecting people to qualify for the S-rank trials, representing the guild to the Council, and handling 'official' guild business like important talks with other guild heads. That's the basic impression I got of a guild master's duties from the series anyway. Not a lot of bureaucracy and whatnot and that's what councils are primarily intended for, as well as being the method of meeting for groups of powerful...well...groups. Unless Fairy Tail has/had lots of sub-groups within it, it doesn't need the mass representation that a council would offer...more importantly, how can it be the lovable party guild if it's bogged down by tribunals and hearings on new guild policy?

More to the point, I don't think Tebyrn meant we shouldn't have a guildmaster period, but rather we don't need to start with one. It's good plot if Fairy Tail is currently lacking it's guild master, and thus direction. OOC, it gives us a chance to see which characters naturally develop for the role, rather then us picking one before the game even starts just to find out a different character might fit the spot better and require messy in-game action to change things.
    I agree with all this. And Callos has it right. Dead timing for me.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Still: being on the high-ranking side is a part of this particular concept I'm not willing to drop.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Still: being on the high-ranking side is a part of this particular concept I'm not willing to drop.
    Never said you should. I think it's just a reminder that we need other concepts beyond 'high-ranking' is all, it doesn't mean give up on the ones you have.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

What rank would it be other than S? I mean, so far we've got tons of A and S ranks already. I just worry things are going to be a tad top heavy.

~snip~

2. There are no members lower than A rank on the Fairy Tale team so...defeats your whole desire for lower level characters to be on said Council
    My character is a B thanks for noticing, and I'm gonna make another character that is D class thank you very much.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

...wait. There are ranks other than S?

I thought S-Rank just meant 'elite' with no other ranking.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

19. - Top - End - #79

...wait. There are ranks other than S?

I thought S-Rank just meant 'elite' with no other ranking.
    I thought the same thing. I was just assuming that they were using a letter ranking system specifically for this game system. They do not have letter's besides S for mages. If your not S, you are just a mage with an unknown power level. Frankly, I don't even think missions have letter classes outside of S either. You judge a missions relative importance and difficulty by how much people are willing to charge for it.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

All right, so I decided to drop the Wind powers completely from Raven. The idea of a bird-motif spirit named Raven Windtalker who does completely earth-related magic eventually grew on me as one of those random quirks, like how the canon Cancer says Ebi instead of the expected Kani.

Here's some elaboration on how his powers are affected by location:
    Spoiler
    Show

Moving Vehicle, Second Floor or higher on a building - No attunement with the earth, so therefore his magic isn't possible and has to rely on hand-to-hand combat.

Civilized or industrialized area (City streets for example) - His attunement with the earth is weak, but he can create small localized shockwaves capable of overturning things standing on the surface.

Natural Area (Actual dirt ground) - He has some attunement with the earth, and can do basic earthbending-style techniques, including creating stone pillars or barriers for defense or shooting boulders at the sky for offense. He's about at the level of a B-class mage here.

Sacred Ground (Cemetery, etc.) - High affinity with the earth, and his magic reaches A-class levels. It's worth noting that in a cemetery he can do many earth techniques and still not disturb the corpses with this level of mastery.

Personal Sacred Ground - On the village ruins of his now-deceased tribe. Probably won't ever come up in-game. Reaches S-class level earth magic along the lines of "Raven used Fissure! It was a one-hit KO! Enemy fainted." When Emilia first recruited Raven, Raven used this level of power to instantly bury an entire horde of enslaved zombies back in their graves with one spell.

Also, question on the rank of mages. I know some lower-rank mages were needed, but I'm looking on the Fairy Tail wiki and I'm not finding any description or standard of any class below S. According to the wiki, there are S-class mages who have some high-rank and standing in the guild and are legally allowed to take S-class jobs, and then there's everyone else. Even among jobs, the only ranking the wiki describes are S-class jobs, SS-class jobs, 10 year jobs, 100 year jobs, and everything below those four.

I have a lower-rank mage in mind, but I'm really not sure what rank to make them.

21. - Top - End - #81

Spoiler
    Show
    <.<
    >.>

I forget what that was...

@Callos: At the very least, she's going to be S-rank. This was the character idea I was going for when I tried to get one of these started, and part of the concept was 'high-ranking'
    In that case, don't concern yourself with it. It's not a big deal.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Personally, I'm on the side of the fence that even if we don't have an actual guildmaster, someone needs to take charge of the day-to-day paperwork and other guildmaster duties, and I'm perfectly fine with horngeek's character taking that position (Heck, if we still do the whole "need a new guildmaster" thing, he could be a good candidate)

Going off the whole Skeleton Key idea for my necromancer, here's a bit more info on that:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Skeleton Keys
    The spirits summoned through necromancy are the souls of the dead, in no way associated with the Celestial Spirits or other such spirits that other summoners use. However, they do share one thing in common in that both use keys to perform the summoning. A Skeleton Key is quite different though. Unlike a Celestial Spirit key, for instance, which is a unique artifact necessary for the summoning of a spirit who persists throughout time, most spirits bound to Skeleton Keys pass on to the afterlife once their contracts are up (with some exceptions of course). It's very difficult to find an abandoned and still-working Skeleton Key because the spirit bound to it most likely crossed over to the afterlife once its master's constract was up. Most of the time, when a necromancer forms a pact with a spirit, a new Skeleton Key is crafted via a ritual. The ritual to create a Skeleton Key only takes a few minutes as long as both parties accept the terms of their pact. Usually this involves the necromancer vowing to right some wrong that leaves the spirit in its restless state. Unfortunately, it is possible for less scrupulous necromancers to force a spirit into a pact and enslave them through a Skeleton Key (something Emilia would never do).

It is also important to note that unlike Celestial Spirits, the spirits summoned by a necromancer do not have a permanent physical form. Rather, only the spirit is summoned, and, through a combination of the necromancer and the spirits' magical energy a new physical body is created each time. Destroying the body of a spirit certainly incapacitates it for awhile as it recovers and prevents it from using its magic through Emilia, but since the spirit is already dead, a new body can be created once both the necromancer and the spirit have recovered.

While a Skeleton Key is necessary for the actual summoning process, losing a Skeleton Key does not break the pact between the necromancer and the spirit, nor does it mean someone who takes ahold of said key can use it for themselves. In fact, if a necromancer does lose a key and is unable to retrieve it, they can spend a half-hour ritual to construct a new Skeleton Key, at which point the old Key is destroyed. They are unable to summon the spirit in question until the new key is created, however.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Your right Shiro. S-class is the only officially recognized mage rank. It allows them to take S-class jobs that lower level mages can't go on unless an S-rank mage is with them. It's basically saying S-rank jobs are exponentially harder than other jobs. So the ranking system we're using is just to compare character strength.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Okay guys I have two more ideas for characters that I will post later. For the first one I have to ask. Bob do you mind if Emilia has a traveling companion? He is a boy her age that uses Holder Magic (A deck of 52 cards) and is something of a card shark with unbelievable amounts of luck. Would at least make her travels easier as they would have money.

The second one is also a male that is already in fairy tale. I'm still trying to decide if I want him to have high speed magic, gravity magic, or requip magic with guns, or possibly scythes.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Okay guys I have two more ideas for characters that I will post later. For the first one I have to ask. Bob do you mind if Emilia has a traveling companion? He is a boy her age that uses Holder Magic (A deck of 52 cards) and is something of a card shark with unbelievable amounts of luck. Would at least make her travels easier as they would have money.

The second one is also a male that is already in fairy tale. I'm still trying to decide if I want him to have high speed magic, gravity magic, or requip magic with guns, or possibly scythes.
    Do they have to start out traveling companions or can they meet up either before or after joining a guild? The original idea was for Emilia to be hard up on money and desperate to join a guild for that and other reasons, but I can be flexible.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I was thinking meet up before joining a guild. Because Spider (his alias and the name he tends to go by, derived from spider solitare) was going to be in a casino an would be looking for guild work to because people don't like it when you win at poker 20 times in a row and claim to not be cheating. Especially when those people are thugs with magic. Spider's not to judgemental because of the fact that he's a street rat (orphan) and sees magic as just magic. mostly because aside from his own magic he doesn't know much about other magic.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    I was thinking meet up before joining a guild. Because Spider (his alias and the name he tends to go by, derived from spider solitare) was going to be in a casino an would be looking for guild work to because people don't like it when you win at poker 20 times in a row and claim to not be cheating. Especially when those people are thugs with magic. Spider's not to judgemental because of the fact that he's a street rat (orphan) and sees magic as just magic. mostly because aside from his own magic he doesn't know much about other magic.
    That could work. They should probably meet for the first time in the actual RP. Maybe they cover each other's backs against a magic-phobic angry mob of villagers or something.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

That sound pretty good. Two social outcasts that back each other out of desperation and fear. Sounds pretty good to me. Plus the villagers might be angry about the fact that Spider is bleeding them dry. Okay then I'll start working on my characters now.

29. - Top - End - #89

Can I make Mage who is a guileless, and wanders as a mercenary?
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

alright here are my next two characters

Name:Tobias Sleipnir, Spider
    Hieght:5'9
    Wieght:150 lbs
    Magic:Card Magic
    Blood Type:-O
    Guild:None

Appearance

Spoiler
    Show
    I am basing spider off of another character, so if you guys don't mind I will use his picture just imagine him less robotic and yes his hair will stay like that. Because it is freaking metal, pun intended.

Background

Spoiler
    Show
    Spider is a street rat, that is to say an orphan. He didn't much about magic and viewed it all as the same, people with powers. He still holds that belief, except for the fact that his magic is more awesome and classy. He discovered his magic when he had found a deck of playing cards one day when he was 6 years old and trying to run away with dinner, a loaf of bread he had stolen from the local bakery. He had tripped on the card deck during his escape and picked in up in anger preparing to chuck it when the baker caught up to him. Nervous and out of options Spider tried to use his sparkling wit to distract the man. "Pick a card any card!" When he uttered that phrase his first and signature card spell helped him out. The ace of spades at the top of the deck glowed and Spider, the bread, and the deck disappeared from sight. The baker confused and flustered walked away from the alley that contained the invisible Spider grumbling about no good kids. As he left Spider looked at the deck in awe as his life was changed forever.

Magic:

Spoiler
    Show
    Spider has access to card magic with the cards having special effects. Most of the time the cards have increadible sharpness capable of slicing steel or a large amount of explosive power (approximately about the strength of a mid sized bomb). However Spiders cards have a few other tricks. He will learn more as time goes on.

Sneaking Spider: Spiders best card is the sneaking spider. It renders him invisible to the unobservant watcher, but what it really does is cloak him from all forms of detection, including magical ones. Great for escaping from angry thugs. However if he bumps into someone the magic is automatically canceled.

Three of a kind: This move uses three cards of the same number and throws them towards the opponent. Then cards explode on impact in a trifeca of elemental pain. Spider can use the elements fire, ice, lightning, wind, water, and darkness.

Spider Bite: A two card combo that sends to cards flying at the opponent. One acts as a flash bang to hide the other card. That card then attaches itself to a part of the opponent and cloaks itself. After that Spider can choose to detonate the card whenever he pleases as long as the target is with 200 yards.

Other powers

Spoiler
    Show
    Innate charm:Spider is a charming and charismatic person. He can usually get people to tell him things easily, sometimes even secrets their keeping. Works better on women.

Dangerous Hat:Spider's hat has hidden blades in it. When pressing a certain pressure point on it the blades come out and it can be used as a projectile weapon.

Adept Acrobat:Spider spent most of his life exploring the city he lives in. Climbing pipes, running on clothes lines, climbing buildings, and running from thugs have left him quite adept at acrobatics.

I hope this guy is acceptable. Same goes for this next guys

Name:Kuhn Calbreeze, Zooming Death
    Hieght:5'10
    Weight:153 lbs
    Magic:Steel/Metal Magic, High Speed magic
    Blood Type:+A
    Guild:Fairy Tale

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kuhn is a handsome youth with a boyish face and black spiked up hair. He has steel gray eyes and almost always has a smile on his face. He wears a black suit and pants with a white undershirt. When he is feeling more festive he wears an orange blazer with black pants and an orange tie. He is usually seen smoking a cigar, possibly Cuban, for stress relief and to show off.

Background:

Spoiler
    Show
    Kuhn used to be a second class citizen along with his family. In order to help pay dues at their home, which they were about to be evicted out of Kuhn went to work for nobles as their butler at the tender age of 10. He did chores around the house, served them their dinner and protected them. Kuhn was forced to protect their lives even thought they would spit on him for his class, in return they would help him pay for his families home and pay them money. So Kuhn in order to do his job well and protect his family learned magic. He did his job well for many years, protecting the Man and Woman who hired him to the best of his abilities. One however he had enough. Their comments about him were tolerable, however once they started insulting his family he quit raging at his masters and throwing every insult at them that he had been holding back for 8 years. It was not even a week after that the family had been killed by assassins. Kuhn joined Fairy Tale in order to help his family in their constant state of poverty and to protect them with everything that he had.

Magic

Spoiler
    Show

Steel/Metal magic: This magic allows Kuhn to create and control metal. He uses this magic to make various weapons that he can wield and manipulate metal. He also can make blocks of steel to drop on the opponent. They are only 4 feet in length, width, and height. His main use of this power however is the micro-filament wires (razor sharp wires. Ex Walter's wires from the Hellsing Ultimate OVA's) that he uses that are stored in a pair of old gloves that he has that were his families prized possession and was passed down from father to oldest son. Using Steel/Metal magic he can control the wires to a great degree, even better that his father used to be able to. They practically obey his thought is what his little brother would say.

High Speed Magic: This is Kuhn's secondary magic and what completes his deadly combo. Kuhn's High speed magic allow him to move at incredible speeds typically becoming a blur to those who don't have means of tracking high speed movement. His agility is also boosted as well as his leg strength meaning that his kicks pack a real punch. By combining this magic with his Steel/Metal magic and his wires he becomes a lean mean fighting machine. Unless they have a strong defense Kuhn can usually slice most people and objects to pieces.

Other Powers

Spoiler
    Show

Kickboxing:To complement his immense leg strength when using High Speed magic Kuhn learned Kickboxing. It helps for when his wires and Metal magic are useless.

Enhanced durability:This is a must considering the speeds that Kuhn can reach. It also allows him to take a hit in combat.

Weapons Technician:Kuhn is capable of using a wide variety of weapons to a respectable degree. His best weapon are the wires but he will use others if he feels the opponent is not worth the wires or if they fail.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2011-11-09 at 07:06 PM.