New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Pathfinder] Monk Build--Tetori question

Hey guys!

So I'm going to be joining someone's campaign. Honestly--I've only ever been a DM. I started playing Pathfinder as a DM and this is the first time I'll be a player. I'm so used to very carefully building encounters so that they're perfect (so that everyone almost dies but no one actually does) and now, when trying to build my own character, I'm trying to optimize, but also being captivated by the novelty of something--the concept of a monk whose entire concept is to grapple whatever he comes across.

That said, does anyone have any input they'd like to make on the Tetori Monk archetype? Am I simply being mystified by the novelty of the idea or is there a way to make it a legitimate combat tactic?

Tetori Monk Archetype: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...hetypes/tetori

I am not above adding another archetype if compatible.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Monk Build--Tetori question

Not bad for a grappler but in general, the only monk worth playing is the Hungry Qigong monk. You could just be a hungry Tetori. Just hope you have a plan prepared for largerer enemies.
    Also, ALWAYS have Hungry Ghost. It is the ONLY way to replenish your Ki. Ki is the only thing that makes monks playable. That's pretty much all I know
    Last edited by marcielle; 2011-11-08 at 07:30 AM.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Size bonuses, while not quite as mandatory in PF as in 3.5, are still key to grappling. To get the most out of Tetori, you need a way to make yourself bigger. The best way is Expansion; this makes Psywar an attractive option, with a PrC into Psychic Fist down the road.

Brawling Path should be your primary - this gets you Wis to damage whenever you grapple. Your secondary can be anything, though I personally recommend either Ascetic or Feral Warrior/Weaponmaster (depending on how your DM classifies monk fists.)

For best results, be a Half-Giant. That gets you bonus power points, a boost to your best stats, and above all, Powerful Build.

Other useful powers:
    Grip of Iron (you get this for free with Brawler path)
    Bite of the Wolf
    Strength of my Enemy
    Dimension Swap

For a build like this, you probably want no more than 4 levels of Monk (for Graceful Grappler and Counter-Grapple.) The more ML you have, the better. Enjoy grappling dragons
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-11-08 at 12:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by marcielle View Post
    Not bad for a grappler but in general, the only monk worth playing is the Hungry Qigong monk. You could just be a hungry Tetori. Just hope you have a plan prepared for largerer enemies.
    Also, ALWAYS have Hungry Ghost. It is the ONLY way to replenish your Ki. Ki is the only thing that makes monks playable. That's pretty much all I know
    I don't think you can Tetori/Hungry Ghost. I believe Tetori can only combo with the Healing Monk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey guys! Thanks for the responses so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Size bonuses, while not quite as mandatory in PF as in 3.5, are still key to grappling. To get the most out of Tetori, you need a way to make yourself bigger. The best way is

*snip*

For a build like this, you probably want no more than 4 levels of Monk (for Graceful Grappler and Counter-Grapple.) The more ML you have, the better. Enjoy grappling dragons
    Considering there's a fairly high chance my DM will no-no psionics (I think he'll let me get away with Half-Giant, though...) is there any way I can pull it off with the usual PF stuff? (APG, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat, anything that I can get a solid hold of before next week)

By the way, the more "ML" I have?

Sorry to be a hassle! You certainly have me intrigued with this grappling dragons idea, though...
    Last edited by rt_tlp; 2011-11-08 at 02:08 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Manifester level seems most likely, a parallel to caster level for more traditional magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

One problem I keep coming back to is the removal of Flurry for Graceful Grappler... I know flurry is basically the monk's go-to to deal damage... so isn't losing that kind of a game-killer?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

One problem I keep coming back to is the removal of Flurry for Graceful Grappler... I know flurry is basically the monk's go-to to deal damage... so isn't losing that kind of a game-killer?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but you can't flurry when you are grappling anyway. If you think your DM is going to be throwing a lot of swarms and huge+ sized creatures at you, then you probably don't want to be a Tetori. If you're expecting a bunch of NPCs and medium-sized monsters, then the grappling is going to offset the loss of flurry.

I'd ask him/her if grappling is going to be viable in the campaign (just like I'd ask before making a mounted build).

10. - Top - End - #10

MonkGuy

Don't know much about pathfinder but I read thatif you can't replenish your Ki when you have to then you are going to have a hard time.
    Last edited by marcielle; 2011-11-09 at 04:54 AM.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I also liked the tetori very, very much. Its a grappler made right, props to paizo.
    Unfortunately they nerfed grapple itself.

Spells that I found from trying to make the concept playable:

Enlarge spell, Animal aspect (gorilla), Resinous skin. I think the last two are from ultimate combat.

What I understand is that you will be unable to grapple most monsters of a CR equal to yours, but if you are ok with that break a leg!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

There are a couple of grappling feats here and there that allow you to grapple larger foes. I can't think of any at the top of my head, but they're there... I think...

Regardless of what you encounter, have fun putting ghosts in headlocks or grabbing a teleporting wizards while saying "No" to his face. Maybe some of the disruptive feats will be nice, but you'd have to find a way around the "only fighter" clause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

MonkGuy

Multiclass?