New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sanguinary Pleasures [IC, DM: Ur-Quan]

Alsai nods at the explanations the others give of their abilities, considering how she would put her own powers into words. It would be difficult to describe to them, as neither had any experience with the Glowing Hands, and they probably had never heard of the sort of abilities used by the group. How would it be possible to explain the methods of the Path of Ur-Seeking to those who hadn't even undergone the most basic of courses to understand the ways the energies were used? Although, it probably wouldn't be too difficult, as long as she simply avoided the details. After all, she had no idea how to track, yet Hunter Ludo had been able to explain his ability to do so. Then again, the Path was far more complex than simply identifying foot- or pawprints. How Alsai could go about explaining the intricate balance that needed to be maintained while performing an unlocking, or the energy required to do so?

I am capable of melee combat, but my primary focus is in the manipulation of the Hindering Web. I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but I channel the power of suffering into an energy that can be used to accomplish many tasks. The young Ur-Seeker explains, clearly unsure about exactly how to explain such a concept to those who, to her knowledge, had never even come close to utilizing it. Although I am limited in my abilities, at times I can bring a great amount of Ur energy to bear, although I have yet to achieve a level of power that would made me capable of performing a Key. At her last words, Alsai realizes the mistake she's made and shakes her head, the pure white hair of a Glowing Initiate hiding her face for a brief moment as the movement causes it to swing. I'm sorry, you wouldn't understand the Keys, there was no point in mentioning it.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quick disclaimer: The comments of characters roleplayed by PersonManInc do not represent the views and opinions of PersonManInc.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Now that the formalities have been dutifully performed, let us drink to a bright future my friends!" says Ludo, his face once again cheerful.

Ludo raises his glass to toast.

"May our larders always be full, and may we live long in the land, eh?"

Tired of looking up detailed rules?
    Looking for a simple universal system that doesn't sacrifice creativity?
    Always wanted vaguely art-deco character sheets?

[Try 2d6]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'll drink to that!" Kalis grins as he raises his own stein. "To a bright future!"

Kalis drains his ale and, before asking for another, addresses Alsai again in muted tones. "This is hardly the time or place, but I actually would like to know more about what you do - Unless I've committed another gaffe in the asking."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2011-11-30 at 11:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Alsai joins the others, recognizing the action from her travels in the area, considering the interesting taste of the drink, comparing it to that of the Sapping Brew that was drank by the hopefuls during their training to become Glowing Initiates. It had a similar, although somewhat weaker, taste, and if it was anything like the former, the liquid would have a powerful effect on her mind if she drank too much of it. Remembering having to practice with the world seeming to pulse and spin still caused Alsai's stomach to twist, even now, years later. Supposedly, imbibing the powerful mixture was meant to simulate the effects that magic could have on them when used by hostile forces. It was also, they were told later, meant to help strengthen the fortitude of the trainees by forcing them to adapt to a semi-toxic, foreign influence within them. Alsai wasn't sure if it had been quite as effective as it was meant to be, but she had been successful during the next phase of her training, so perhaps there was something to it after all.

Embarrassed slightly by Arcanist Kalis' direct question, Alsai considers it for a moment before responding. Well, it isn't forbidden to tell outsiders of our methods, but it will be quite difficult to explain without going from the ground up. You see, Initiate training generally begins incredibly early, so by the time one is old enough to grasp the more advanced concepts they've been using the more basic ones for years. It all builds on former lessons and I've never really had to explain the whole thing to someone who hasn't learned it, but I could try to do so. Stopping for a moment to collect her thoughts, the Glowing Initiate looks down at her mug, both thumbs stroking over the surface as she considers how to continue. The more basic concepts are probably simple enough that I can explain them here. She says, looking back to the elf. The foundation of the entire practice is the understanding of Ur, though, which I can't explain without first doing a cleansing ritual with all of you. Alsai finishes.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What exactly does this cleansing ritual involve?" asks LUdo, "Because if memory serves, the last ritual you spoke of involved...knives? I am not too keen on being involved in such a ritual as that."

[Try 2d6]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalis replies, smiling into his cup, "Hopefully it's just symbolic. Though I once knew of a lordling's enforcer who was fond of using knives to 'cleanse' those in his custody." This last statement was punctuated with the sharp twist of a wrist held at waist height.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2011-12-03 at 09:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Alsai shakes her head when her comrades mention knives. Unlike the silencing ritual, this doesn't require any Ur-fuel, so knives or other such implements will be unnecessary. She says. Instead of such things, all that would be required is the embrace of gloves. Do either of you have such equipment with you? Alsai asks, stretching her own gloved hands slightly, lightly pressing her fingers together. The thick fabric covering her right hand has, seemingly at random, small symbols sown into it that mark the successful completion of important milestones on the road to Ur-Seeker. The left hand bears symbols that mark her as a full-fledged Glowing Initiate, with a specific area left blank for the addition of the Key symbol.

The day on which she gained the last of those symbols is still fresh in her mind, every nook and cranny in the cavern wall branded into her memory, the look of the bandit impossible to forget. It seemed difficult to think that, after all she had gone through to achieve her titles, she was now in a place where their significance was unknown, where the people had no idea about what power flowed through the world or their own minds. It was odd, to be surrounded by those who didn't understand the Hindering Web or Ur. It didn't seem like this ignorance did them well - Arcanist Kalis had mentioned, well, hinted at, the sort of things that were done to captives, even if only in certain regions. Already Alsai had found that the world outside the enclave lacked unity; different nations and other groups split the people of the continent into dozens of small groups.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-12-04 at 05:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I have gloves, if that's what you mean..." replies Ludo, a bit confused.

[Try 2d6]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

At the toast, Valyn forces a grin and takes a long drought of his alcohol-free drink. He never understood why people drank so much of the stuff... It clouded the mind, dulled the senses, and was harmful to the body in large doses. One of the reasons it often made a very effective poison if concentrated and placed in a beverage.

As the conversation continues, Valyn prefers to sit silently and process not only the meaning of the words spoken, but also try and familiarize himself with the way in which the words were said. Though the language was still new, he found himself more often than not able to follow conversation. He was frequently getting caught up on some of the words Alsai used. He wasn't sure if it was an accent, her specific method of speaking, or what, but it seemed as if she was using words that neither of the other two at the table would repeat.

"I know not what this... Ur-fuel... is, but I unfortunately am not in the possession of gloves. Does there need to be anything special about them or would any pair suffice?"

Ur-fuel. The word still sounded strange coming from his mouth, and it was unlike other words he had learned thus-far. Perhaps it was something unique to Alsai's culture as the others seemed just as unsure about it as he was. Perhaps a little less so as they could at least easily surmise the words' origins.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Alsai nods, first to Hunter Loko and then to Arcanist Valyn. There is no need for a specific material or other such special addition, the Embrace of Gloves is little more than an Ur-Oath. She explains. The Embrace binds those who wish to learn to the one who teaches and is the first step on the path to Ur. I underwent the ritual when I began my instruction under Instructor Ravenik. Without the Embrace the road to Ur is sealed, and knowledge will only cloud the mind of those who receive it. The Ur-Seeker explains, making a short chopping motion with one gloved hand as she says 'sealed', as well as a sweeping gesture at the words 'cloud the mind'. As to Ur-Fuel, well, it's the primary carrier of the Hindering Web. If I had the Guide to the Path with me, I would refer to it, it's explained in detail on page 284 although it's mentioned in- Alsai stops for a moment, realizing that she's once again strayed from the actual topic. At the Enclave, many of her conversations were on the Guide, so she had a habit of going into detail with her references to the book. Being in a place where it couldn't be opened would be strange, although the 13-volume set would have been all but impossible to carry, and bringing it was forbidden anyways. All of the tools of the Path were to be kept away from those who may use them incorrectly. Unfortunately, this meant that the Path was all but unknown outside the Glowing Hands' area of influence.

I apologize, I have a habit of citing the Guide in such discussions. As Instructor Ravenik said, my tongue is that of a scholar in debate. Alsai explains, seemingly slightly embarassed, but far less so than earlier.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

A couple of villagers enter the tavern gradually. They go to the bar and order a drink, then either group around tables or stay near the bartender, drinking. You can see 2 humans drinking seperately at the bar, one's drinking mead, the other ale.
    My avatar is by Matthias. Thanks a lot <3

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: Sanguinary Pleasures [IC, DM: Ur-Quan]

"Right then," says Ludo, "no harm done. Though if it's all the same to you, I'd prefer to stay clouded."

Ludo continues to sit, sipping his pint occasionally and whiling away the time until his family returns or the village heads to arrive.

[Try 2d6]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalis nurses his pint and fidgets a little with the utensils, glancing frequently at the door as if the village council might have entered without him noticing.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perception to see what the new people look like/are doing:

(1d20+5)[8]

[Try 2d6]

15. - Top - End - #45

The people you saw entering were just a couple of villagers coming to rest after a hard day at the fields. They're sipping their brew and looking around.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Valyn manages to suppress a smirk at Alsai's comment about her old instructor. He had met quite a few people like her back when he was learning from the Magistrates. Magistrate Yasur and his devoted students in particular had always had a penchant for spending way too much time in books. Valyn preferred learning through doing... Which occasionally got him into trouble during his study of anatomy. His expression soured as that train of thought continued, and he was painfully reminded that Alsai was a human. Trying to keep his face neutral, he replied, "While I must say I am intrigued by the prospect of learning more about Ur, I feel now is neither the time nor place to begin such an obviously lengthy series of lessons."
    Glancing around the room, Valyn examines the faces of each of the human patrons more closely. Though he doubted the man would show up now after they had already been in the village for three days, it didn't hurt to be careful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Depending on how perceptive your character is they may or may not have just noticed Valyn's sudden shift in mood, and that he is now sitting slightly further away from Alsai in his seat, not to mention the fact that he is currently trying to look at all of the humans in the inn simultaneously.

I only mention this because I wasn't sure if I had made any of it clear in my visual description of events above. Feel free to use this information as you see fit for RP purposes.
    Last edited by Karthas077; 2011-12-14 at 02:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Alsai nods, curious about the elf's sudden shift in mood. If she knew him better, she would ask, but at this point it would be rude to do so. I see. Well then, Mister Valyn, if or when you believe the time has come, I will tell you what I know. She replies. The Ur-Seeker is quite curious as to his sudden examination of the other patrons of the tavern, although she knows that it would be improper to ask. Instead, she considers what the scholar has said about himself so far, eventually coming to the conclusion that this was related to his aforementioned interest in biology. Perhaps he was planning to study the facial structure of humans? It could be that he hadn't had a chance to do so until now.

Of course, Alsai is unsure of her conclusion. She hasn't had many interactions with elves, so she doesn't know if their minds work differently than that of humans. It had been mentioned by Instructor Ravenik that a theory about the elves stated that their minds reacted differently to Ur, and that their long lifespans were one of the signs of this difference in reaction. He had, of course, mentioned that this was one of several theories on the subject of racial differences. The following hour was spent in group study, and Alsai's group had been given the assignment of analyzing the various myths about the collapse of the dwarven empire, so she hadn't learned much else about the theory.

18. - Top - End - #48

Later that evening, you see a bunch of men enter the tavern and head to the largest table, in the east side of the tavern. It was reserved and covered with a blanket until they came in. There're four men of note there. Two half-elves, looking as fine as they can, one with a hair of gold, the other of blood-red colour. They're accompanied by a couple of humans, one has a wizened look on him, with gray hairs darting through his brown mane, and the other is bulky, a head at least taller than the next person in the tavern. The tall human has a larger sized right arm, a bit out of proportion with his left.

They settle on the table, and you can see Braun joining them. They instantly start chatting in between themselves, while the barkeep brings drinks, automatically, without taking orders.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Alsai is intrigued by the arrival of the elves and humans. Perhaps these are the elders? They seem to have some sort of special status within the community, as a table was apparently reserved for them and the barkeep knew what they wanted. This was, at the very least, evidence for the fact that they came here often. Despite her curiosity, however, Alsai is hesitant to approach them. She is uncertain of their social status in relation to hers, as well as of the accepted methods of approach in such a case. In addition to this, she wasn't sure if there would be some sort of announcement or other formal beginning to a meeting soon - if there would be, then it would be best to wait for that. If there was no such thing, then simply waiting would bring nothing but missed opportunities. A shame that the peoples outside of the compound had no Guide to look to in such situations. How the people lived with this constant uncertainty, Alsai had no idea. Perhaps her comrades would have a better understanding of what to do in this situation. They had, after all, grown up in cultures that were probably closer to those of the village than hers was. While there would still be differences, Alsai doubted that they would be as great or far-reaching as those between what she was used to and the order here.

Could it be that these are the leaders of village that you mentioned before, Mister Ludo? The Glowing Initiate asks, turning to speak to Hunter Ludo after examining the new arrivals. The elves, at least, were wearing what Alsai would identify as garb fit for a formal gathering, but the others were not. Hopefully there would not be such an event happening soon - although the standards were different here, the young Ur-Seeker would feel greatly out of place without an entire set of Ur Steel. Although her current armor could serve as something close to formal wear, she would still be woefully unprepared for a true social event.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: Sanguinary Pleasures [IC, DM: Ur-Quan]

"Perhaps," says Ludo, putting down his mug, "Well, there's only one way to find out."

Ludo gets up from his seat and strides over to the table occupied by the men in question.

"Excuse me gentleman. I'm sorry to interrupt your merrymaking, but I wonder if you'd happen to be the village heads. I've heard you occasionally require the services of those trained in combat, and my fellows and I are seeking work in that area."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20)[11]

[Try 2d6]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Valyn follows behind Ludo, allowing him to do the talking before inclining his head and stepping forward to speak, "Of course there are those of us with other talents at our disposal who would be happy to lend our services for the appropriate payment. I myself am a physician and scholar of modest ability."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another Diplomacy - (1d20+3)[18]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalis follows the others, and after Valyn finishes speaking, adds "I'm decent with a blade or an arrow myself, and I know one or two other tricks to deal with anything you need taken care of."

He leaves it at that. Though he felt that to remain silent would have been inappropriate, Kalis knew that negotiation was not his strong suit. He'd let the others do the talking if possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Aid Another (Diplomacy):
    (1d20-2)[10]

23. - Top - End - #53

As your party approaches their table, you can see a faint smile passing across Braun's face. He seems pleased by the turn of events, somehow. The group listens to you carefully, then the barkeep comes near and joins the conversation: "Come on, don't be strange like that, pull yourself a couple of chairs, sit down." The group nods in approval of that.

"Yeah, first we need to feast a bit, then we'll discuss business." Braun adds with a wider smile on his face.

The barkeep seems to hurry up and starts bringing food from the second story, his wife's quality cooking.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Alsai, seeing her comrades invited to seat themselves, follows, her insecurity clear from her posture. Before sitting down, however, she straightens herself, all uncertainty hidden beneath a serene shell, the well-trained movements of a formal introduction granting her confidence even in such a foreign environment.

I am Ur-Seeker and Glowing Initiate Alsai. Just as my comrades have been, I was informed of the possibility of employment by the leaders of the village. Alsai says, giving a short nod to each of the seated men in turn. While it was strange to do so outside of a normal event, this moment of confidence and normalcy gave the Ur-Seeker a sense of belonging, even when surrounded by an utterly foreign culture. This thought brought back fresh memories of her departure, releasing a wave of sadness and longing only barely kept in check as the Glowing Initiate seated herself, using the movement to conceal any potential glimmer of sadness visible in her expression.

This was an entirely new experience for the Ur-Seeker, who had been quite surprised when the others had simply walked over to the group and asked them of their position. Of course, sitting down at the table only opened the way for yet another social dilemma. While the atmosphere was quite relaxed and the way that Dartsplayer (yet another issue: what would the proper title for these men be? Alsai knew of none fit for leaders who had no connection to Ur) Braun had addressed the others implied a fairly informal situation, Alsai was still unsure of precisely how informal it was. In addition to this problem was an entirely new one. Food was coming and they were all going to eat. During her travels, Alsai had yet to find out what the proper procedure was during such an event - who would eat first and, if they were all together, how would they avoid watching the others eat if they finished quickly? Once again, the young Glowing Initiate found herself wishing that she could simply request access to the Guide and search for the explanation on conduct during a meal.

As doing so was not possible, Alsai decided that she would risk a breach of etiquette to avoid a potentially far more problematic one. Ah...well, I'm not entirely sure how to ask this, but...What would the proper way to eat be in this situation? A combination of nervousness and embarrassment is easy to read from her tone, expression and general posture. Her hands, resting on the table, seem to be clutching each other in a death grip. The thought of a formal meal on such short notice terrified her, especially as she didn't even have an idea of how an informal meal would be carried out.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As the others began to seat themselves, Valyn examined the men with whom he would shortly be eating. They were certainly an interesting lot. Hopefully they could come to some sort of arrangement once the meal was through. As the barkeep begins to bring down food for those seated, Valyn turns as Alsai introduces herself. It took him a moment to recognize that the shift in her tone from earlier was related to her apparent unease. After her question is asked his eyes scan the faces of those around them. Nobody seemed to know exactly how to respond.

It took a moment for it to sink in for Valyn that in her situation, she was utterly dependent upon others for some of the commonly 'assumed' aspects of societal interaction, and that there would be no end to her embarrassment if nobody helped her. Valyn reminded himself that even though she was a human, she still had feelings. Though not enough to completely change his perception of her, it was just enough to spur him to action.

From the seat to Alsai's left, Valyn leaned over and spoke somewhat quietly, not so as to prevent others from hearing, but so to allow them the opportunity to pretend to be ignorant of the following conversation if it made them more comfortable. "We'll all eat together once the food gets here. Just do your best to follow our example if there's something you're unfamiliar with." Once finished he makes a mental note to have a discussion with her about social etiquette at a later point It might be interesting to learn how a society who has rules for everything conducts itself, before reassuring himself that his interest was purely academic.

Spoiler
    Show
    I took some liberties with our seating arrangement for narrative purposes. I had originally written in more dialogue, but I figured it would be better for some of that conversation to occur later under circumstances more conducive to instruction of etiquette.
    Last edited by Karthas077; 2012-01-09 at 07:27 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Alsai nods at Tri-Scholar Valyn's explanation, a relieved smile replacing the worried look on her face. Although there still seemed to be something strange about the elf ever since his sudden change during their interaction earlier, the Ur-Seeker was grateful for his support. Perhaps he had been in a similar situation before and understood how she felt. Alsai didn't know how different elven society was from that of humans, and there might be enough differences that his first experience in human lands had been marked by insecurity and confusion. If that were the case, then she would want to find a proper time and way to ask him later and see what she might be able to learn from the elf.

Thank you, Mister Valyn. Alsai says with a final nod, her smile widening slightly. Relieved to have that problem dealt with, Alsai turned her attention to the approaching food. It would be the first time she had had a true feast in her time outside of the enclave. Until then the Glowing Initiate had mostly eaten small meals, sticking to a few simple things, most of which she recognized from her former home. Now there would be a chance to try multiple types of new food - hopefully she would find it to be exotic, but enjoyable, rather than simply unusual and of bad taste. Her thoughts of food eventually brought Alsai to the consideration of the request of her Closest, that she bring her 'news of the most exotic dishes' from the outside world. The memory of her best friend's typical fascination with unusual food widened Alsai's smile. If this food was of particularly good quality she would have to inquire as to the recipe. This, of course, brought yet another consideration with it: what if the people here didn't write down the way they prepared their food? Perhaps they simply memorized it, like they apparently did with their societal rules...

27. - Top - End - #57

The four men decide it's time to introduce themselves to the newcomers at the table, while the meals are being prepared and brought.

The heavy looking human, with disproportionate arms rises first. "My name is Nakov, I'm the local blacksmith. My work is humble, but of huge consequence to the village."

The wizened human rises, his hair fluttering across his slouched shoulders. "My name is Tekan, I'm the keeper of books for this humble village we've got here. I manage the taxes and the library, as well as teach the precious few talented children to read."

The golden haired half-elf rises third, proud but with a generable expression. "I'm Viares, the trader who manages the goods in this fine place."

The other, red-headed half-efl rises up, almost ceremonially. "I'm the local shaman, druid, apothecary, whichever term you like using. I make sure the child gets born, the plague doesn't spread on our livestock and the people don't die because of blood-fevers. The name's Dikam."

As one was rising, the previous one was sitting down, in an almost ceremonial nature, following rules of behaviour, at least the local ones. It came to turn for Braun to rise. "As a couple of you know already, my name's Braun. I'm the local enforcer of justice, whichever names you foreigners use for that role. Sheriff, Justice, Guardsman, any works, really, we don't pomp that up in our little village to be honest. Unlike the bigger cities which have them looming over you with contrived names and spook you into obedience, we follow a much more personal approach." He smiles heartily.

Braun, the only one standing, lowers down into a sitting position and just in time, as the tavern keeper brings the food on the table. It was a big pot of stew, complete with chicken meat pieces, green beans, and more than a couple of different vegetables, near indistinguishable from each other. The heavy smell spreads through the whole tavern.

A huge ladle is already in the pot, and Braun takes the liberty of putting the stew out into everyone's bowls. You can notice that his friends just nod when they've had enough put in, then get on with eating, using their spoons. The stew seems really thin, waterlike, but colourfully green. Most of the headsmen took two to three ladles. He offers the stew to each one of you, in order.

Noticing a bit of amazement on Alsai's face, maybe a result of the introduction, maybe of the meal he mentions. "Don't worry friends, this is only the introductory meal, to warm the stomach up for other delights to come." and smiles, almost fatherly.
    Last edited by Ur-Quan; 2012-01-10 at 07:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well met, good sirs."

The elders opposite the table were given Kalis' most unctuous smile, before he nodded to the server. Two ladles of stew had gone into his bowl, but he vaguely wondered if he could eat even one - He had known that such a meeting would necessarily include the local enforcer, but even this far from home there was a slim chance he might be known. And though he didn't relish Alsai's obvious discomfort, it might still distract attention away from him.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Valyn examined each of the men as they introduced themselves, noting the profession of each before glancing once more over towards his companions. Upon seeing the stew and its contents, Valyn indicates to Braun via a nod of his head that only one ladle full is fine. As subtly as he can, Valyn lets a single drop of alchemical reagent fall into the stew as he stirs it, carefully concealing the vail once more within the folds of his clothing. As nothing happens, he soon resigns himself to eating the food. The rich smell fills the air, and he struggles to ignore it, trying to focus on the specific herbs within the fragrant mixture. Though he had grown more used to the food prepared in the human lands, it was still a challenge to bring himself to eat regularly. Very few in these parts cared what they put into their bodies so long as it tasted good. His more refined pallet was much more demanding of him than most, even amongst the elves, and was used to only the freshest and most healthy of foods. Such a stark transition had been uncomfortable at first... Memories of many nights spent clutching his stomach in pain as his body struggled to digest the foreign proteins resurfaced.

Silently, but with a great feat of willpower, Valyn managed to surpress the rising of his stomach and calm himself as the food was finishing being served. It had long since gotten much easier than when he first arrived in human lands, but that still didn't make it pleasant.

As the others begin to eat, Valyn joins them, eating very little of the chicken within the bowl. He was glad to hear there would be more courses following, and hoped that some of them would agree with his stomach more.

Spoiler
    Show
    The vial etc is just an extended RPing of using Craft(Alchemy) to test the food for poison. I'm assuming that I'm not going to find any here, but I'm trying to establish patterns in his behavior just in case I for some reason forget to mention it in the future.

In regards to the food thing, Valyn used to be Vegetarian. For those of you who don't know, vegetarians often get sick when they first start eating meat because their body isn't used to breaking down the proteins in it. He is okay with it now, and is able to stomach most non-red meats, but still prefers to eat very little of it.
    This was a lifestyle choice caused by a desire to keep his body as healthy as possible. Back in the elven city, with access to money and supplies,it was much more reasonable to refrain from eating meat to obtain the 'perfect' balance of nutrients for an extended life.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Alsai, still feeling fairly nervous despite the alleviation of the major problem she was facing before, quietly requests four ladles of soup. After being served, she places her palms together and nods once, her eyes closed. After this she carefully takes off her right glove, revealing a pale hand that, while fairly thin, seems to have a quality that suggests endurance. Her fingernails, all carefully trimmed, are each colored white with a blue symbol in the center. The symbol is a sphere with spikes emerging from it, resembling the head of a morningstar or other such weapon. After removing her glove, Alsai places it to the right of her bowl and begins eating, her left hand holding the bowl steady as she does so. The Ur-Seeker seems focused on her food, although she doesn't seem to be concentrating on the taste, her expression neutral - almost bored, even - as she eats.

After about a minute or two, the Glowing Initiate's focus on her foor diminishes, and she glances at her comrades while eating. Alsai quickly notices, and promptly considers the reasons for, Valyn's avoidance of the meat in the soup, which she herself focused on immediately before spooning in the other contents of her soup in a manner that seemed closer to a construct made to consume food as quickly as possible than normal eating. At first she considers that the elf's reasons for doing so were cultural - perhaps elves ate meat last in a meal, or not at all. This time, rather than staying silent about it, she decides to ask. Since her consideration of his own cross-cultural past, Alsai felt more of a kinship with the elf than with the others. Of course, the fact that he had managed to avoid making such lewd implications as Kalis had, was probably one of the primary reasons for this preference.

Tri-ah, I'm sorry, Mister Valyn, I don't mean to imply anything, but, well, I was curious as to why you are avoiding the axe's relief in the soup. Alsai says quietly as she finishes her soup, speaking at the level of compartment discussion. Although she is in a different culture, the Ur-Seeker still reflexively uses the specific volume of side conversations, a habit brought on by her years spent speaking to her Closest during death integration.