Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    So, please, post if you like, but dont forget to subscribe
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    LILDORRINENE

    Lildorrinene says, "Belmot Park it is."
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Toliudar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Dot smiles, consensus seeming to have been reached.

    "In that case, the extradimensional transportation service is once again open for business. Let's see if we can get a fix on Darya's steed"

    Spoiler
    Show
    If the vision that everyone got through the necklaces is enough to go on, Dot will have Clyde start to ferry people to the mount, starting with Darya if she wishes. If the vision didn't include any detail of surroundings, Dot will first attempt to cast Greater Scrying to get a look at its immediate environment.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2011-11-11 at 04:47 PM.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

    Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Spoiler
    Show
    There was not enough info in the vision to get an exact location on the horse. You will have to settle for going to Belmont Park


    The town of Belmont Park is located on the continent of South Enicom, on western side of the continent, rather southerly. It is outside the influence of the Terkaton empire, the largest empire on the continent, and is east of Kroy.
    Belmont Park is most famous in Daystor for its thoroughbred horses, the finest racers in the world come from Belmont Park, and the horsemen here can provide a family history of their horses that are more detailed than some noble family trees. If you are buying a racer that doesnt have at least one ancestor in its lineage from Belmont Park, most people will assume you just arent serious about winning.
    The town itself is not all that big, there are shops and stores yes, but basically only one of each. The residental area is very small, but from the city, you can see the huge barns that mark the nearest horsefarms of the area, and you are pretty sure that there are more and more in the distance. Of the ones you can see, each one appears to have a large amount of land, and they are all well-fenced off. There are some horses out in each area, grazing or just pacing about, and even if you dont know a whole lot about horses, just one look tells you that these are fine steeds.
    People arent exactly used to adventurers just 'popping' in, but then again, lots of nobles who come to buy horses here do have access to teleport magic, so its not exactly unknown. As well, the town seems to be planning for some sort of festival or some such, and so the party is noticed, but doesnt draw a whole lot of attention.
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    LILDORRINENE
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    ...and so the party is noticed, but doesnt draw a whole lot of attention.
    ... despite the presence of a winged giant (he's been ordered to this form for 'urban' travel) and a group of stunningly beautiful women (and a man) ... the majority of whom have 'superhuman' Charisma of above 18 (if not above 20).

    FYI, as with Lok ... who has no 'mundane' disguise ... Lildorrinene will have done her normal layered disguise ... shape changed with mundane makeup over top of that so as to really botch with True Seeing.
    Lok's disguise (illusory): (1d20+18)[37] ... attempting anything else is pointless because of his bizarre form, despite being somewhat humanoid.
    Lil's non-illusory disguise: (1d20+13)[22]
    EDIT: I fumbled the modifier. It's a +35, not a +13, so please add an additional 22 (44).
    * Layered mundane, in case of true seeing: (1d20+25)[39]

    Lildorrinene asks the group, "We were in a hurry to get here, ladies ... and gentleman. But beyond, I think, Tallesin? .... I believe we are without a healer. I am an expert 'item commandeer,' do not depend one weapons-in-hand in battle, and have the best battlefield maneuverability. Do we wish to pool resources for some healing magic before we step too far into anything? I don't think we'll get anything exotic here, but it seems large enough for healing wands. Even if I don't wield the wand (or whatever) ... it would be wise for somebody to take the role of party replenisher. Tallesin's focus on battle pulls her away from second-line activities."

    Meanwhile, Lok thinks about the calendar and his knowledge of the cultures of South Enicom to try and figure out what festival this might be.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Basic d20 roll. DM, please apply the appropriate knowledge modifier to this roll, based on Lok's sheet: [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    **Ooops, wrote in a "+" .... I'll put a roll in OOC.

    He'll gladly accept any assisted rolls (or assist in the same).
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-12 at 03:40 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Lok, thinking about the date, and what he knows of South Enicom, believes that what is about to occur here is the Belmont Stakes, probably the most prestigious horse race of Daystor. The prize money is good, but the real attracation of the race is to be declared the fastest horse in the city that produces the fastest horses in the land.
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    LOK'

    Lok's mental buzz is heard in the party: "It seems that we've come just in time for the most prestigious horserace in this known world - the Belmont Stakes. Legend has it that it was the last of a series of races known as the Triple Crown, a series which no longer exists - though there are changing venues each year that sponsor the prelude races building to this championship. The first two original races of the Triple Crown are no longer important, as the societies of which they were a part have since been destroyed or assimilated by other cultures. But the Belmont Stakes survive. Even the famous casino houses of Varstok - known for decadent spending - never boasted a daily take the amount of cheques, marks, and raw capital that are bet on this day in this place. Legend has it that the results of this race in this otherwise small but cosmopolitan city have seen the sad (or fortunate) changing of hands of entire fortunes, companies, and even a principality or suzerainty or two.

    "Of course, with so much honor at stake - honor extending to entire nations themselves as they sometimes sponsor horses as well as persons - this is one contest that should not even be conceived of for disreputable activities in the main. Anyone with 'adventurous' tastes will live longer conducting them in the crowds like any other barker. Attempting interruption of the Stakes not only will likely fail as protections will likely be intense and from multiple overt and covert sources, but will gain the enmity of the richest and most powerful persons in the known world from every stripe of society. Of course, you are the Sisters that seek to unite the Goddesses ... so I am sure you know what is best."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-12 at 08:04 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Ason's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Telepathic to Lil, before leaving for Belmont:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Your Excellency, I intended no comment on your prestige in my speech; indeed, I call you "Excellecy" now in acknowledgement of your Emissary title. I merely used "Master" for Lok-too-loo-baz in the archaic sense, denoting respect but indicating that he is still not the highest-ranking present. In our faiths, every male has his superior, his Your Excellency, mine High Priestess Zanthia. Though you are not my "Lady," you are still "my lady," and so I defer. My humblest apologies for any social unpleasantness I have caused. As for his name, I surmised it was not his True Name, simply because I respect demonic intelligence and cunning too much to believe that such things would be given away lightly." All this is said with formal deference mixed with a small bit of indignant shock, the mage being surprised and embarrassed by his apparent faux pas.

    OOC: Just to be clear, Tallesin commented on the Lok's behavior while the demons were away. It's possible that the demonic duo heard his words regardless, but from a roleplayer's perspective, I know my PC wouldn't directly criticize/insult anyone right next to him. Wow, I just realized my character is slightly passive-aggressive. Sad day...


    Once at the park, Tallesin begins soaking in his surroundings, delightedly taking in the air and festal atmosphere. Turning to Lildorrinene, he says apologetically, "Alas, my mistress Sabrina's call came late in life, when I was already committed to other paths. I have a few means of revitalization, in a pinch, but I cannot satisfy an entire party... at least, not with healing. Oh my!" He chuckles in a mock scandalized tone at his afterthought.

    Moving his gaze to Lok as the demon speaks telepathically, Tallesin smiles at the other male's information. "A horse race, you say? Hm... of course, business must come first, but I recall fondly such spectacles from my youth. Come to think of it, with its present audience, a detour to the races may be advantageous. At minimum, we enjoy a show and perhaps profit from a gamble; at maximum, among such people (both great, middling and small) our quest finds a new thread. However, like Lok-too-loo-baz," the mage glances at Lil as he says the name, "I bow to the will of the Sisters."

    Spoiler
    Show
    In the event of attending the races, would it be possible for Tallesin to bet on the match? Further, given his mercantile background, could he use Appraise to evaluate the horses' relative qualities in hopes of making a more profitable bet?
    Last edited by Ason; 2011-11-13 at 04:40 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Partysan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Darya looks around with interest. "A race you say. Now, unsurprisingly I will at the very first acquire my horse and try to find out why it has been placed here. Except..." Following a sudden hunch she turns to the others. "Can one of you find out whether there's a price staked on the race that might be of interest for us? Tallesin, you wanted to visit the races? I guess there's your chance. Bring a souvenir."
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

    Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    The actual race is not for a couple of days, so there is time to look around and see the rest of the town, and anything else that might be available. Its easy to find out which horses are running and what the odds are, setting up a viewing of the horses would only be possible by watching them at practice sessions, again it is possible to find out where and when those are.

    Spoiler
    Show
    But you do actually have to make an effort to ask
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kalirren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Taleira
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Straight to the point, Tali," Melinda replies. "You're doing marvelously."


    Melinda takes Taleira's hand for the teleport.

    **

    "I...know this place..." says the bardess as she takes in the new scenery. "Why do I feel like I know this place...?" She dispels her suspicions momentarily, but they soon return. "Birthplace of our Prophet this may be, but I wouldn't be a good Sabrinite if I didn't point out to you all that there have got to be dozens upon dozens of ways we can divert some of the money that's flowing through here in these few days to our cause. I've already discussed with a number of you how it would benefit the Fellowship to have an independent base of operations. We should definitely take advantage of the Stakes to raise some funds and develop useful connections."

    "Those who want to come visit the Prophet's place of birth, follow me, I'll divine the way."

    OOC: Find the path. Who knows what the place looks like now?
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2011-11-13 at 02:23 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Melinda casts her spell, and to her, the route is a blazing path of red, almost hurting her "eyes" with its brightness. She leads the group (all who wish to come) out of the city and into the farms. They pass the first "ring" of farms, and the second and third. Once past this level, the farms are more disorganized, and not quite the same size or as immaculate, but they are still better than most of what you have seen in other farms.
    The route continues to lead Melinda on, and after about another half hour of walking, it leads to a relatively smaller (but still quite well maintained) house on a piece of property that has its own small barn and small horse operation. Two men are outside on the lawn discussing something, however at the approach of so many beautiful women, they stop and watch your approach, jaws hanging open just a bit.
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    So many beautiful women ... and a winged giant.

    Lildorrinene and Lok went with Melinda.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kalirren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Along the way out to the countryside, elements of Melinda's urban habit gradually morph into rather rustic forms of attire. Her cloak reverts to its natural horsehair, and her makeup dissolves. Only a few minutes after that, she acquires a walking stick. A country hat eventually comes out of her pack, and on it she sticks a flowering twig. The entire assemblage leaves her looking rather plain, though it does nothing to disguise her graceful movement, and the quality and cut of the fabric she wears still indicates that she is a woman of wealth.

    "Right on this next hill is the place," she announced to the group as they approached. "Amazing that this open space is still here after all this time. I expected the site to be swallowed up in some alley somewhere inside the city."

    "Hail there!" Melinda calls out to the two men. "Would you gents be so kind as to lend a band of pilgrims some shade from this afternoon sun?" They had, after all, lost a few hours on the sun for having teleported so far east.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    LILDORRINENE

    While Melinda engages the men in conversation, Lildorrinene and Lok will be observing ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lil will be observing with detect thoughts (DC 29, and CL 20 to overcome SR), Spot +24, Listen +19, and Sense Motive +20.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-13 at 11:25 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    The two men doff their caps to a lady of such obvious quality as Melinda.

    Good afternoon ma'am, how can we help you on this fine day?
    They clearly saw that you came from the city
    We can offer you what we can, but surely there are better quarters to be found in the city, more befitting to such a fine group as yourselves.
    They arent B.S.ing, you sense that they are just a bit overawed at this group of women coming up to their house.
    They are trying to be gentlemen, but they cant help but oogle some of the ladies of this group.
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kalirren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    "We appreciate your hospitality," the bardess accepted with a gracious courtesy. She stepped decisively out of the main road and into the path leading up into the house. "My name is Melinda. This is my friend Laelle," she introduced Lil, "and this is Lukasz." indicating the tall giant.

    At the flash of logistical concern that inevitably came in response to that last introduction, Melinda covered with a smile, "Rest assured, we shan't impose ourselves upon you for the night. The few of us decided to visit a minor shrine when the rest of our party were at the races. It's not supposed to be too far from here, so we should be back in town before it gets too dark."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Toliudar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Dot and her colleagues have shifted appearance to more closely resemble the local garb, but look fundamentally the same - Tasha as a tall woman with a big sword, Zippy as a young wide-eyed girl of about 8 or 9. Clyde as a lumbering and rather humourless-looking man. And Dot as a boy of about 6 with spindly legs.

    Given the opportunity, they tag along behind Melinda, Lil and Lok, eager to learn more about the mysterious prophet. And happy to let Melinda do the talking.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

    Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    The two men step out of the way of Melinda, leaving the path free for her to walk in. Her sight continues to see her divinely inspired path, its leading right into the house.

    Religious shrine? In these parts? I dont think Ive ever seen one around here. You ever seen a religious shrine Seth?

    The other man shakes his head in a negative.
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kalirren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    "You're sure?" Melinda asks rhetorically. She notes the certainty of Seth's response and nods, advancing towards the house. "Well, the site might be unmarked, then. The priestess who sent us here certainly wasn't particularly clear. Lukasz, could you take the children and go fetch some water from the well?"

    Telepathically to Dot
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still not sure if this is the site. I'll find out more about these people and look for signs. Meanwhile, they'll be expecting you to run around. Look for other foundations, check for me how old the well is?


    Hovering for a second around the threshold, Melinda puts a hand on the door as if to push it open but doesn't put any weight behind it. Melinda was quite wary of divinations, especially her own, and so she was playing her hand very conservatively. She'd seen them fail or be mislead all too often even without reason to suspect them, and on the off chance that a ward similar to that which protected the site at New Kroy was active, such an enchantment would definitely have misled her divination because she was no Tishtinite. Though, she reflected as she opened the door, her recent actions might put that in doubt...

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Toliudar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Kalirren:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dot responds telepathically.

    "Good thinking. We'll have a look around.


    Zippy waves up at Lukasz with a big smile and dashes off towards the well. Clyde lumbers after, carrying Dot with him. The big man sets Dot down on the far side of the well and begins drawing up water.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Once Dot is concealed from the locals, she'll reach in to grab her runestaff, long enough to cast True Seeing on herself. She'll start by having a quick look around the area to see if anything looks different.

    Search checks for Dot, Clyde,and Zippy as she surreptitiously has a look: (1d20+32)[39]. Spot checks for Clyde and Zippy as they are less focused in their looking, more focused on their roles at hand. (1d20+10)[16], (1d20+22)[42].

    Tasha: sense motive on the men, to see if there's anything she thinks they're hiding: (1d20+22)[29].
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

    Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

    Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    LAELLE & LUKASZ

    Laelle bows and smiles when introduced.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Detect thoughts still going...

    Lukasz stone-facedly follows the children to the well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    True seeing still active ...

    Also, Search the well with the others ... either using their assistance, or Aiding someone better than himself. Search = (1d20+29)[47]
    EDIT: If not taken on its own merits, that should be a +5 to the Aid check (using the expanded rules for Aiding others, per Complete Adventurer).
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-14 at 06:43 PM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Such a suspicious group


    For once, all the True Seeings in the world are doing not a whit of good for the group, because everything is still what it appears to be under the glare of the magic.
    For Melinda, her lighted path winks out the minute she lays her hand on the door handle; she has seen this sort of effect before, its the way her spell always ends when she reaches her destination. As far as her magic is concerned, this house is the birthplace of the prophet.
    Those who are attempting to detect thoughts or sense motives are not reading anything out of the ordinary. The two men are just that, normal human horsemen, they have been successful enough to earn a decent living at it, but have not had, in our real world terms, any sort of D. Wayne Lucas level of success. They have not have any sort of experience in dealing with a group of women such as yourselves and are clearly out of their league. The one who has been doing all the talking is the owner of this house, and as Melinda looks like she is entering the house, his primary thought is that he is happy that his wife was making a stew for tonight, so there should be enough to go around if everyone stays.

    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as I can see, the only one not going to the home of the prophet is Tallesin, correct me if I am wrong. If you are not going T, and anyone else, what are you doing?
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kalirren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    "This..." is the place, the bardess accepts at last. She seems to regain some composure, and does not finish the sentence aloud. She realizes with a bit of shame that she'd been hoping to find merely a place, something abandoned, a dead place that she would have been able to pick over like a vulture.

    But this place was alive, alive and well cared for. And was that not more important, to build with what was available? To build the trust that would let her be happy with entrusting this site's care, its life, to the people who already lived there, for the good of the Fellowship? Was this not the first of many such dedicated lives that the growing faith would have to absorb and exalt?

    As Melinda steps over the threshold, she makes Sabrina's sign on her chest, a triangle pointing down over her heart. "Good day," she greets the horseman's wife. "I'm Melinda," she introduces herself. "And your name?" The bardess proceeds to introduce any of the others who follow her in. When comes her inevitable offer of food or drink, she responds, "I've already sent Lukasz and the children for water," with hardly any hesitation. "They should be back shortly, along with the men," she glances towards the doorway. "Then we'll brew some coffee together, how's that?"

    **

    OOC - actions declared within. Stop me at any time if there's a problem.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Melinda initially introduces herself as a typical adept, if a very experienced one, (read: schoolteacher, midwife, healer, counselor) and only later as an artist and a keeper of traditions. This is the truth of the way she commonly interacts with the lay faithful. Melinda will, of course, use coffee time to start exchanging stories, and exchanging stories is something Melinda is very good at. She has plenty of them from her extensive travels and pilgrimages.

    Coffee in Melinda's native Drania is often served with incense, and Melinda certainly breaks it out for this occasion. The bardess will do her very best to keep the conversation going for a decently long time, enough to weave the casting of a legend lore spell into her rhetoric. The last stories she hopes to tell are ones of this very place, stories of the Prophet and of her childhood, complete with details not known even to her beforehand.

    At the same time she is also interested in interviewing the family that lives here to understand their life, for the Prophet herself probably lived a very similar life prior to her departure. (Do they have children? she loves children.) She is especially interested in qualities or quirks or strongly held opinions that would make them especially suitable or unsuitable as caretakers of a shrine dedicated to a Goddess of Love.

    Of course she's more used to doing these things alone, or with one or two followers with her, not an entire band of people whose egos and presences might easily exceed her own in vibrance.

    I anticipate also that the subject of her prime vocation will come up eventually. She has this to say about it:

    "How do I get by? How do I withstand looking at myself in the mirror? For every one of us it's different," she admits. "How do -I- reconcile true love and love for sale? I happen to find it easy to appreciate what is lovable about a person, nearly any person. Easy also to find the passion to express that potential love and make it real. It's not a gift that every person has, to be able to offer true love, for sale, straight up. And there are many people who are so self-unaware that they don't know what might be lovable about themselves. I make it my mission to show them, to bring out their best."

    "People pay for sex, sometimes. Most of the time," she admits. "It doesn't matter. I'm an artist. I always try to give them love. And most of the time they don't even realize that's what I'm trying to do, and that's their loss more than mine. I used to be hurt by that. Now I just take their money, no harm done. But occasionally I'll see a new spark in someone's eyes when they leave, and I feel the power of Love to inspire, and that's enough for me."

    One last thing. Melinda hardly allows herself to be served at all, and insists on helping to serve the rest of the group. This is only partly her expression of spiritual dedication. The Sabrinites of the group, and anyone with a decent K: Religion or Sense Motive check, also recognize this as her way of attempting to assert symbolic leadership over this little endeavor.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    LAELLE

    'Laelle' easily sees Melinda's desire for 'animal' dominance ... not only does that not phase or bother her, as this portion is more Sabrinian ... but it actually makes her smile slightly with some sort of maternal pride.

    She doesn't do anything to try to usurp Melinda's position, but will be pleasant in conversation to help her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If we assumed Taking 10 on a Diplomacy Aid, that means a +5 to any similar check on Melinda's roll ... not that I think we need it.

    However, she will ask questions casually ....
    * How long has this family lived here? Has it been in the family or acquired 'recently?'
    * If the latter, do they know who owned it previously?
    * Further questions will depend on this...

    LUKASZ

    'Lukasz' will look to Clyde as the children play for a mental conversation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "How strange, bounder-scout, that you should work with a slaad and a succubus for a Sabrinian? I sense a story there ... how did this come to pass? Are you bound magically, indebted, or did you freely choose your path? It is not often that one of your kind should work so well with anyone."

    Diplomacy (1d20+17)[19]

    He'll do the same, but in a different way, with the young girl.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I've never met one of the warrior-caste of my Mistress' sisters before, at least from her reports of your skill that's what you seem to be. Now that they are inside, I am going to take a perimeter of this area and look for any inconconsistencies in terrain. What's your knowledge specialt(y/ies)? I may need your eyes and assistance, if you're willing to lend it. The people inside know nothing, but we might find something out here. That'd be an abyss of a thing if we can do what our bosses can't."

    Diplomacy (1d20+17)[20]

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    First, how old does this well look?
    * K: Engineering(?) (1d20+11)[30]

    Next, he'll walk a circuit around the grounds. Hopefully, he'll have convinced the others to come and help him. The following rolls are either as primary, or if subordinate in base modifier, as an Aid.
    * Spot, in case there is something that might be easily noticed: (1d20+36)[48]
    * Search, to take a closer look at any thing that might seem suspicious or out of the ordinary ... and then followed up with carpet searches: (1d20+29)[46]

    He'll then focus on looking the terrain. Considering how much time went by since Cassiopeia's time, there might have been other structures or something that was overgrown ..... or perhaps even overtly buried. If just a 'layman's' senses wouldn't notice, then he'll put his noggin to use ... and again, hopefully enlisting the Aid of any of his fellow "in the trenches" outsiders.
    K: Nature or Geography, whichever is appropriate (1d20+11)[25]
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-15 at 04:44 AM.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Ason's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    Trusting the women (and vrock) to be more than capable of handling any situation, Tallesin strolls off to explore the race and associated festivities. Bowing his farewell, the mage offers a final "By all means, I remain at your disposal should you need me, a mere necklace away," before leaving the group. As Tallesin walks away, his outfit shifts from formal courtier garb (suitable for meeting a queen like Cassandra) to a dapper countryman's attire, reminiscent of an amateur sportsman or nobleman vacationing in his rural estates.

    As he walks, the wizard reaches into a pouch, releases his raven familiar and begins discussing the day's plans. Passerby simply hear a man cooing and cawing affectionately to his bird ("Perhaps a new falconer or merchant," they might assume), but those nearby who are currently employing magical means of understanding foreign languages may overhear bits of the following:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tallesin's voice and style seem less affected, more like a normal man, as he talks to his raven. "You okay Del?"

    "You put me in your pocket again, Tal. You know I hate that."

    "Sorry friend. It just makes teleporting easier and safer. You know. Anyways, we're at Belmont Park now, but while the others are investigating other leads, I felt we could explore a bit on our own. Our new friends really are a delight, but it'd be nice to stretch our wings, as it were."

    "You know, we don't have to be caged like that, taking orders and all. We could wander the land, have our own adventures..."

    "Delyth, stop it. You know I'm committed to this path- Sabrina's will is my own now. I'd prefer walking it with you, but if you must fly away, I'll let you. No? Ha! You are a true friend... Thanks. Getting down to business, with the ladies hunting the main route, I thought we could scout things out over at the races a bit. I was planning to wander the streets, see if any old friends are still in the horseflesh business. If there's time, maybe browse the racing odds or even examine the horses up close, see if I've still got my old knack for judging "the merchandise." With the right information, I could truly benefit our party via this competition. Gambling profits help, of course, but you never know what news, gossip and blackmail circulate among the jockeys, lords and lackeys. Hells, simply given the power of this race’s usual leading patrons, there's a strong chance something useful will turn up. We'll never know until we look."

    "You do that. Me? Caw! When I say 'stretch my wings,' I mean just that. While you've been surrounded by beautiful women, it's been weeks since I've met a worthwhile ladybird. Tell you what, though. I'll chat up the other birds, see what they know. Sure, they're not very bright, but maybe something useful got lodged in their brains, an image, phrase or event. No promises, but if I do, you better buy me something nice while you're with all those vendors."

    "It's a deal, Delyth. We'll both wander among our peoples, see who turns up what. Mine may have more useful words, but maybe your feathered comrades have found something mine wouldn't have been able to. Here, let me give you some spells to take with you, just in case you spot an opportunity or some dolt tries to eat you. Play it safe and take care, Del. There are too many powerful people here for us to be cavalier about this."

    Tallesin casts Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability, giving his raven one casting of each of the following: Prestidigitation, Quickened-Extended Shield, Detect Thoughts, Orb of Force and Dominate Person.


    Tallesin is going to be exploring the racetrack area, keeping a lookout for any recognizable merchants, leads on the main quest or means of getting an inside scoop on the race. Tallesin’s subsequent actions depend upon what he can turn up at the races via his Gather Information ((1d20+7)[24], though in a pinch he may be able to rely upon a Knowledge: Local ((1d20+9)[26]) or Nobility ((1d20+13)[25]) to recognize key individuals near the race and then approach them successfully. As a child of minor nobility, Tallesin might be welcome among the leading merchants and lesser nobles, if nothing else.

    His raven familiar, Delyth, will be flying among the birds at the event, blending in with them and seeing if they have anything useful to say. Given that Delyth has a raven's Charisma of 6 (the best among tiny birds) and Tallesin's ranks in most skills, he should be able to hold his own once in a conversation, though his initial Gather Information check won't be great ((1d20-2)[10]). If the raven finds nothing useful among the various birds near the race, he will eventually begin casually/discreetly surveying and spying on events below (Listen: (1d20+12)[28], Spot: (1d20+11)[30]) while hidden within a larger flock of birds. I can provide rolls for the raven to remain unnoticed, but who would really accuse a raven of looking at her funny when the bird is just milling about with its peers? The pair share an empathic link, so while they can't talk per se, both Tallesin and his familiar will be paying attention to each others' general states and emotions, should anything happen.

    [OOC: Should I continue this via PMs or in the IC thread, since I seem to be the only one on this trek?]

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Stormwind's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Lia Naida

    Lia accompanies the group to Cassiopiea's birthplace, although even her companions will on ocaasion not notice her presence.
    Walking inside the building with the others, Lia remain's unobtrusive as she assesses their hosts. Finally making a decision, Lia prepares to cover the farmhouse and it's surrounds in a screen against scrying and detection.
    That done, Lia simply sits back and listens.

    [Hide (to remain unnoticed): (1d20+14)[27]]
    [Sense motive: (1d20+21)[31] (take 10 - mastery)]
    [Cast Screen (Make it appear as if the party asks a few harmless questions and then leaves dissapointed heading in the direction of the next farm)]
    [Sleight of hand to hide spellcasting: (1d20+32)[42] (take 10 - mastery) -> DC42 Spot check to notice]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MikelaC1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    The moment Melinda (and the rest of the party) enter the home, they all feel a sense of “rightness” come over them, as well as a feeling of accomplishment. Sneaking a peek at the scrolls, Lia sees that another line has become clear
    The home must be visited and the shrine built
    The wife of Carson Rogan, a woman named Alyssa, is just as flustered as the man was by all these eminent people visiting, and even more flustered by the way Melinda seems to take control of the gathering. Eventually, she stops trying to play hostess in her home, and lets Melinda take control of the “event”. Those out fetching water or trying to ferret out other information come back in time, because there isnt really anything to see. The well is not recent, it might be as old as the house or it might not, theres really no way to tell.
    In the course of the conversation, the party learns that the Rogan family has owned this home for 5 generations, but Carson doesnt know who his great-great-grandfather bought the home from. As a person who makes his living from horse racing and wagering on horse racing, Carson venerates the god of luck, Daren Philisar II, while Alyssa is a more pragmatic person, the party notes small statues of Ailena Domar (goddess of fire magic and wife to Daren Philisar II), Endolin Domar (the goddess of mothers) and Tishtina.



    Tallesin, in his wanderings, soon learns the status of the upcoming Belmont Stakes. It seems that a local horse, Sham, is the heavy betting favourite. In fact, conservative estimates say that Sham is taking about 75-80% of the wagering. The next two horses, Twice a Prince and My Gallant are splitting most of the rest, while Private Smiles is being ignored by all those except those big dreamers hoping for an amazing long shot. However, the talk is also about how everyone would like at least one more horse in the field, the Belmont has never been run with only 4 horses, and even though another horse would just get blown away by Sham, it would make the race more legitimate. The officials of the Belmont have held this last spot open, hoping that someone will step up and take it, but so far, no one wants to be embarrassed by Sham.
    Tallesin does not spot any of his old racing friends, probably because the crowds are just too heavy to find them, but he eventually makes his way to the track, and manages to get a look at the last workouts of all the horses. From what he sees, he would agree with all the bettors, Sham looks almost unbeatable, Twice a Prince and My Gallant are decent enough stakes horses, but not in Sham’s league, and those dreamers who are hoping for Private Smiles, well, they can just keep on dreaming.
    DOUBLE GOLD = DOUBLE DOMINANCE

    Twitter: It's a small weapon, aimed indiscriminately at a viewership/readership that has mastered the art of over-reactive hyperventilation at the speed of light. - Ray Ratto

    Orlando Magic basketball, everyone. Taking tanking to the next level, where you just say forget it and start scoring on yourself

    Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Stormwind's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Lia Naida

    Her companions soon hear a wry telepathic comment from Lia, "It seems the scroll has revealed a little more. It would have us visit the 'Home' and build a 'Shrine'."
    Last edited by Stormwind; 2011-11-15 at 01:47 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

    'LAELLE'

    Lildorri-Laelle chimes in "It seems that a shrine needs to be built to Sabrina here. I know how I would handle this situation with these weak-minded peasants. Melinda, what do you suggest?"

    Lok-hasz, on the other hand, is not in any part of the conversation. He is lost in an internal reverie and rapture.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM, PM coming your way.
    DMing
    Hatfield Harriers
    Rise of the Runelords
    The Savage Tide II
    Shattered Star

    PLAYing
    "Zodiac" (MikelaC1), playing Eleth'Sarat
    Spoiler: Eleth'Sarat
    Show

    Spoiler
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •