New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

Melinda arrives to look at the book. She goes through the relevant diary entry and just seems to be engrossing herself in the idea of what the H might mean when a thought stuns her. "Wait. Dot, Lok. The author could read this line. She knew of its existence," Melinda observes. "We couldn't read this line until just now when Sword won the race. This suggests several important possibilities," she says, looking up and down towards her colleagues at hand. "First, if the prophecy reveals itself based upon circumstance, it's not much of a stretch to posit that different verses have been visible at different times."

"Second, it calls into question whether or not the text of the prophecy is even static. I can imagine that when the author wrote this entry in her diary, the scrolls showed this 'Two must be freed' line as one of the top few. And it was visible.

"Third, if the text is in fact dynamic, do the lines appear in any meaningful order? In particular might it be reverse chronological? We've seen little to contraindicate this; let's assume that the last two verses about the Cups appeared when the sword was forged by the Enemy, and the one about the diamond necklaces appeared when the gems were unearthed and condemned. The verse about Sword might have appeared when Sword was named, which puts it a bit near in the past to be after both the woman verse and the Cups verses, but could have appeared as early as when the first of the Rogan family moved into the prophet's home, which would still put it after the diamond necklaces. And we've skipped a few lines to get to 'the home must be visited, and a shrine built,' which might have been set as early as when Cassiopeia was first known by the faithful and recognized as a prophet.

"Under this hypothesis the woman who is not a woman is no older than Carson Rogan's great-great-grandfather, which would narrow down the field quite considerably. It's even the easy direction, we only have to consider all the women alive." Melinda jokes.

"And lastly off the top of my head, if one scholar for whatever reason managed to tease out a verse of the prophecy that was hidden to us only recently, we should not assume she was the only one to have been so blessed in insight." Melinda grits her teeth. "I think this obliges us to look through all of the commentary about the prophecy that we can find. Any inexplicable, recurring references might correspond to yet hidden verses."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Caught between Lok's talk about ancient linguistics and Melinda's epistomological treatise, Dots spends a long moment blinking. She continues on with the mental link with the others.

"Right, then. Lok, Melinda. Melinda, Lok. Why don't the two of you focus on history and literature, since you're clearly better versed in them. And perhaps look at on the abrupt disappearance, at around the same time as our prophet, of someone with the letter H in their name. I'll stick with research on incidents of soul-trapping."

Spoiler
    Show
    Barring further discussion, Dot & co will refocus on stories or techniques of soul-trapping - who does it, who's good at it, and if there's a any geographical focus, either on where they are or where souls can be kept.
    Know (arc) with aid anothers: (1d20+28)[44]
    Know (the planes) if that's more appropriate: (1d20+33)[41]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

After several days away, Lildorrinene finally returns. One new addition to her ensemble is a staff of wood. Or, to be more precise, a staff of woods. It is a gnarled staff, with ridged grain, but one notices that it is actually several pieces of different types of wood fused longitudinally ... rather than a staff made of a single piece of wood. It includes mahogany, oak, cherry, pine, white birch, and darkwood.

"Well," she asks. "Who's were, researching what, about whom?"

She gets the download from whomever is near ..
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

A sound familiar to all the members of the Triune emanates from the staff being carried by Lil...a wolf whistle.

So, arent you going to introduce me to these lovely ladies? With scenery like this, Im going to love this quest.

5. - Top - End - #275

Lildorrinene, heightened to a different mood and now smilingly salaciously, says, "Sorry, sisters (and brother), but it was quite a job for me - in a city this size - to find a man with the best wood to sate my appetites. But one taste of my charms was all he needed to promise to ever yield rigidly to me."

Now, of course we all know she is a succubus, sure. But until now, Lildorrinene has always been 'above' showing the application of her work to crack that austerity that seems to be fundamental to her regal nature. This opening line, however, seems to belie more than just a use of word-wit, but a genuine lustiness.

"Where are my manners? Talbot," she says holding up the staff so that he/it can get a clear look at everyone, and is pointed in each one's direction when named. "Please give a yesty 'Hello' to ..."

She starts with Zanthia, then the Nocticulans, the Sabrinians, etc. Lok, despite his size, and Dot's 'menagerie' are not introduced .... they're servants, and likely only to be introduced when specifically addressed for some concern.
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276

Melinda is attempting to round up any mentions of the prophecy in the Varstok library and look for any further indication that the visible verses of the prophecy have changed. She'll also attempt to round up at least one more lead on this 'H' figure before she will attempt to legend lore it from but a single mention, which might take from several weeks to a season. If it does come to legend lore, she'll consult the group to decide if she should just do it in Kroy while the rest of the group proceeds to Rennador.

And here's a roll for it: K: Religion (1d20+24)[29]

"Well, Talbot, I hope you at least got what you wished for," says Melinda, who seems slightly abrasive at the introduction. "Lil says you're from around here, but I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure of making your acquaintance before. You wouldn't happen to know my friend Eleint Brook, would you? She's a luthier. Makes magical musical instruments out of living wood?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Melinda is not able to find any evidence that the verses have changed at any point in time. If she were to venture a guess, she would say that the prophet was able to see into the future, but it was likely that she was not able to handle both the voice of a goddess in her head, and the things she was seeing occur. Thus her writings were not clean and neat, they were obscure because she could not fully understand what she was seeing. As for how the priestess was able to divine at least one line of the prophecy, she can find no clue.

The two pronged research of Dot and Co. has mixed results. The research on an abrupt disappearance of someone with an H in their name, at the time of the prophet, reveals no results.
    Her own research on soul trapping yields results. Of course, soul trapping is evil and its also pretty vindictive. Killing someone is one thing, but to go the extra yard and trap the soul, denying them eternity, seems a bit much. In the realms of the evil gods, who are the only ones who would sanction such an act, the ones most likely to approve would be Morgaz, Orithon, Rohdan, Dantilus, and Kotep. The others would simply not be willing to go the extra mile.

At the end of this day of research, Zanthia is waiting for the group, along with Casandra, and two other women. Zanthia speaks first....Once again, it seems like the group is suffering from under representation from the Tishtina side of the equation. Casandra has combed her ranks, and come up with two potential replacements.
    Taking over, Casandra motions the other two women forward, one is clearly a human, the other appears to have some elven features, but by size she is not an elf. As well, even though the entire party of women is quite beautiful, this newest member seems able to take this to another level, maybe not the equal of Lil, but still quite remarkable. I believe these two ladies have much to add to your group, and will make fine representatives for Tishtina. Go ahead and introduce yourselves, ladies.

8. - Top - End - #278

Taleira Ulharvyth

Tali bursts out laughing at the sheer absurdity of Lil's lecherous staff. "Is... *giggle* Is it supposed to do that? Or does your effect on people extend to objects as well?" Once she calms down, Tali introduces herself to Talbot. "Sorry, I probably shouldn't laugh at you so much. I'm Tali Ulharvyth."
    Last edited by Telasi; 2012-01-28 at 08:18 PM.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Staff to Melinda

I lived in Varstok most of my life. And surely you've heard of the wizard Talbot? The most famous crafter of magic in all of Daystor. This staff is my greatest creation, a way to cheat the Reaper of his greatest prize, that being me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Melinda does recognize the name Talbot, whenever a hero needs a special item for a great quest, Talbot is the first choice. Unfortunately, his skill is matched only by his ego, and just because you ask, doesnt mean you get

Staff to Taleira

Lil does not control me in any way, while she can call forth the powers contained in the staff, she cannot call forth me. For now, we work together.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Having laid the foundation for the shrine's business end, Tallesin Eliado rejoins the party, eager to learn of their research and what the future may hold. When introduced to Talbot the staff, the man offers his welcome: "A pleasure to meet you. Talbot, was it? I do believe I've heard that name before... Yes, it must have been during my arcane schooling- you were required reading for every pupil, if memory serves. Your art was never my forte, but it would still be a delight to discuss the finer points of wizardry with you, if you are ever lying about free one evening. Normally I'd offer an adornment to complement your attire, as professional courtesy, but given the craftsmanship here, why gild the lily?"

To the two newcomers, the battlemage offers a sweeping bow (as usual, lightly kissing any hand offered to him), "How do you do? Tallesin Eliado, at your service." To the human woman, he adds "Charmed to make your acquaintance. I say, I rather enjoyed the company of your predecessor- it would be a delight to become similarly familiar with you." To the elven-looking woman, he continues, "Etiquette demands I offer a compliment at this introduction, but truly, mere words would fail to capture your beauty. I'm sure it must only be rivaled by your wit, and 'twould be a pleasure to find out."

OCC: For the new players, here is a basic description of Tallesin Eliado for your convenience. It's what would be fairly obvious after a few moments interaction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Tallesin is certainly very handsome, what stands out more are the extravagant clothes he wears, the latest of local fashion, and the meticulousness of his look, for where others would have a beauty mark, stray hair or somesuch, he has a thoroughly tidy appearance. Tallesin's mannerisms and clothes suggest that he is a fop- a man more concerned with fashion and trivialities than with practical matters- but he carries a sword at his hip as if he knows how to use it very well. A raven is regularly perched on his shoulder, and the two often exchange words like old friends, though the language is incomprehensible to those unaided by magic.

For a rough idea of his personality and appearance, think of Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter (classic example of a fop) or any shallow character from a Jane Austen novel. Tallesin Eliado seems to be a dandy and a fop, but he must be competent at what he does if he's made it in this party.

Also important: he worships Sabrina Keldith.
    Last edited by Ason; 2012-01-28 at 11:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

[ooc]Bea activates her Ring of X-Ray Vision. She monitors individuals' physiological reactions for a couple minutes.[/ooc]

Cassandra's human companion steps forward. Their hands squeeze and part with the promise of catching up later. This newcomer is a dark sunkissed woman in her thirties. She wears a tight top and a tufted rabbitskin miniskirt. A fused spiral of thin electrum wraps about each of her wrists, ankles, and neck. A single golden strand adorns her brow. Unlike her male consorts, her musculature manifests only when she moves, unnaturally natural as she pads upon bare feet.

Her hand extends, and her fingers encircle Tallesin's. His gaze descends inches away; he earns himself a healthy view of her womanly assets, full by human standards. His lips lock and part, but before he can rise, she grips his chin powerfully With her thumb and last finger. Her other three fingers curl like claws, raking his larynx lightly. She raises his face to just below hers, a predatory mien with bared canines. She snaps her incisors just shy of his nose, playfully even; the solid clap of her teeth are like a beartrap, and the deep-seeing knowledge in her gaze hint that he can't escape the twinge of his hypothalamus however good his discipline may be elsewhere.

She releases him to her left. She addresses the main group with a certain smugness about her.

"Call me Bea," lilts her clipped Amazonian accent. "We will do well. I promise, yes. But first, discuss progress to now, short and simple."

"Nice stick." she compliments Lildorrinene genuinely. "I am expert with this. May I show and tell?" If proffered, she accepts it gingerly. She casts Vision to know exactly how Talbot fits into the unification of the three goddesses. (CL (1d20+16)[18] DC20) Regardless of whether she sees anything, she gives the staff an expert twirl overhead, then scratches her back with a knobbly end before returning it. She slips Tali an mischievous wink.

Bea takes a step or two and vaults herself atop a bookshelf nearby where she lounges upon her side facing the group.

[ooc]5 ranks +9 str +2 tumble synergy +12 hasted speed +30 Quickened Jump spell +10 movement mastery = 68 vs Jump DC 64 for an 8ft standing high-jump[/ooc]

12. - Top - End - #282

Lildorrinene does not proffer the 'stick.' "His name is Talbot, and he is not the pony for your dog show."

With the (denied) Bea bouncing powerfully and gracefully up to the bookshelf. "I am Lildorrinene, Emissary of Nocticula, and the Honored Wielder of Talbot. Before we discuss progress, you are the newcomer ... how about you discuss skills. Without asking to play with the other girls' toys, hmmm?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know, if you haven't read up until now, if you need a description of Lildorrinene.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-29 at 03:52 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Peridot

The little blue-robed wizard - for little she was, less than three feet tall and perched on the shoulder of a broad-shouldered thuggish man - glanced up from a history of the church of Orithon. Her eyes whirled from gleaming green to gold and back again, taking in the newcomers.

"Welcome, welcome. I'm Peridot, but you can call me Dot. Nice jump."

Dot glances at three rather bored-looking individuals clustered near her - a muscular amazonian woman in skimpy armour carrying a greatsword, a pale-skinned girl of about eight, and the aforementioned brutish-looking man.

"And these are Tasha, Zippy and Clyde."

She glances over at Lil's new toy with a fond smile.

"Ah, Talbot, is that really you? Or a fragment of yourself? I don't remember your staff being quite that long."

Spoiler
    Show
    It's clear to Bea's X-Ray vision that Clyde is not in fact a man, but an utterly inhuman creature with the rough shape of a gorilla.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

Ireth

The elven seeming lady, looking mildly confused by the whirlwind of events surrounding her but too polite to say anything about it merely hikes up her dress slightly and offers a low curtsy to the assembled group.

"Well, I am afraid I don't know quite what to make of all this just yet...My name is Ireth Telrúnya, and it is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. I am honored to be here, as I am but a singer and occasional student of the Arts. However, I am sure that I will get to know all of you well enough soon, so there is really no reason for me to continue on like so.
    Thanks, Telasi for the spectacular OotSatar!

Currently playing:
    In Debbie D's awesome "The Three Goddesses" game -Ireth, the shyest nymph you'll ever meet, bardic servant of the goddess of love.

15. - Top - End - #285

Lildorrinene looks at the much more civil elf. "Ireth, welcome. Thank you for not opening your introduction by pawing at I or my companions or gear. That's how people end up singing "I'm a Little Teapot" while skipping through the streets wearing nothing but a pretty pink bow on one's head ... or worse.

"I am Lildorrinene. But if you are 'but a' anything, and little more than an 'occasional' anything of any skill beyond that, you are nothing more than a light speedbump for our enemies, and I know Zarinda would not have bothered. Your humility is appreciated, but the modesty is ill-placed. None of us But-a-X of anything to which we have committed. Our enemies are on a list sponsored by no less than a dozen deities, so please ... both of you ... Bea and Ireth ... can the dramatics and the coyness, and tell us clearly your skill set. Rapid personnel movement (mainly teleportation) is an issue in our group, so if you don't have skills we can use as we teleport about, I'm sure there are many other ways and missions in which you may serve the Goddess-To-Be(-Again).

"I'm not saying enjoy the enigma and mystery of who you are as a person, and I'm not asking for a 84-page report that details the exact Moh's scale hardness equivalent of any natural armor you may possess ... just, please, be more forthcoming with what you can do. We are not tactical idiots here, and we need to know how best to align the group for combat mobility, reconnaissance, battle formation and recovery, and movement ... and the 'wonderful sense of surprise' isn't going to cut it.

"Zarinda, like the other two incredibly powerful High Priestesses, cull for recruits, sponsor us, and provide aid and sanctuary. But in the end, this band you see here must depend on each other in the field, we who are the actual Sisters ... well, now I guess I'd have to say, with Tallesin ... the Coven of the Goddess. We need support and effort from powerful representatives of all three faiths, but when it comes to those of us in the Coven itself ... the extremes of arrogance and humility are unwelcome if you cannot claim a defined skill set (not one alluded to or dramatically hinted at). Be a team member, not a tourist."

Lildorrinene lets that sink in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am sure it may well be flatly ignored, but rolling here to give an idea of the magnitude of her personality. I am providing Diplomacy and Intimidate. It really comes down to whether your character is one who is likely to see the sense that is here, or would respond more to the demonstrative tone in her voice. The message is important, not the skill-specific delivery.

Diplomacy: (1d20+34)[54]
    Intimidation: (1d20+41)[43]

"Now," she continues, but more calmly, "because you do have the patronage of High Priestess Zarinda, that means - unless she's been cosmically and tragically deceived - persons of capability, of course. As a show of respect, I shall first tell you about me."

She looks around and smiles and turns to the newbies, "Please understand, that unless we play the 'humility game' then as we each announce our capacity, you may not help but think us or yourselves as boasting. We aren't. The plain and simple truth of the matter is that many of us are some of the best casters and combatants in the world, and concentrated into this group at that - some of us ...." (she nods her head Dot's way) "... wielding the most powerful spells one can cast before we start talking truly epic magic. If Zarinda thought to introduce you to us to join as something other than 'shield bearers' (and who here uses a shield?), then it is like that your resume will read the same.

"As introduced, I am Lildorrinene, the Emissary of Nocticula. Taleira Ulharvyth, there .... and Lia Nadia, here ... are my fellow Nocticulan sisters, though I leave it to them to tell you more about their tactical applications. We can kiss and hug and 'discover' each other more as we go on.

"I am a succubus. I do not know your academic backgrounds, but even most peasants use the term with the vague concept of what that means ... classic demonic resistances, immunities, and powers. Specific succubus powers dovetail in with my powers as a beguiler - I specialize in charms and compulsions, and using misdirection to lower a target's physical and mental defenses. Though I can cast several illusions, they never were quite to my liking. As a succubus, I prefer I and my targets to feel 'real' sensations. My magic is not an excuse for laziness, as I often layer my non-magical prowess in negotiations, manipulation, disguise, and the withering word into as much of a forward response as a backup to magic.

"I have studied a succubus defensive martial art based on using agile maneuvers in concert with various misdirections and distractions - primarily used for defense, though it also helps some with a little offense and finding the 'sweet spot' when you catch an opponent unawares - but I am by no means a true physical combatant. I have some mundane skills to back up my stealth and infiltration skills. I have knowledge of a variety of subjects, but am not the master of any of them - in or out of this group.

"I am also the best in the group at commandeering magical items that I was otherwise not meant to use. I can probably pick up and safely handle an object that might otherwise make another of my - ahem, worldview - wither in pain, and competently focus what was made for use only by a lawful neutral dwarven male druid-bard with some ease. As such, lacking a focused healer, I have a party-funded wand of healing .... which means I'll be doing a lot of flitting about the battlefield to tend the wounded now.

"I wear Saetuir, one of the fabled black robes of the arch-magi. I carry Wish-Killer for when I am facing undead (and constructs) - who are otherwise immune to most of my powers; it is my adamantine kukri that is equally effective against corporeal and incorporeal undead alike, and the prismatic powers of the weapon help me against constructs as well. The crown of flames and the raptor mask are two pieces of the fabled regalia of the phoenix. Finally, you've met Talbot. In addition to housing the brilliant intellect of the great mage himself - willingly, I might add - including a modicum of some of his own magical prowess with which he imbued the Object that would become the Him.

"That vrock there - don't let him scare you - is my servant, my lieutenant, and my aide-de-camp. His name is Lok-Too-Loo-Baz. His strength and skill in battle are no less than any vrock, and brute force is his main job then - and protecting me. But his main asset - out of battle - is an intellect that far exceeds those of his kin, and possibly anyone else here with the exception maybe of Dot herself. There is not a subject in existence with which he is not at least conversant on, and his primary foci is history, followed by the three philosophies (arcane, religious, esoteric-planar), and then by spell theory itself. His senses - both physical and intuitive when reading people - are the best I've ever known. In fact, sometimes his intuition and logic are so uncanny in drawing upon so many sources without realizing it that it is almost downright magical. Sadly, he's as insane as a vrock might be ... don't let his calm demeanor fool you. If he starts babbling about being a 'prophet', that's the nutter coming out. Please don't do anything to encourage this behavior."

She looks at the two, but mainly at Bea on this one. "Words of warning: there are a lot of people that are going to try to stop what we are doing. In fact, and no disrespect to Zarinda here, I do not doubt for an instant that many in our own faiths might be part of that when they discover how the shifts in power may not favor them with the Goddess' apotheosis. Accept personal boundaries until invited inwards. You'll find that many boundaries - down to an intimate level - are often stripped away here. We only have ourselves. But if any stranger grabs at any of us, or tries to do the same with any of our belongings (weapons, servants, objets d'arts, whatever) ... than Nocticulan, Tishtinian, or Sabrinian ... good, neutral, or what the moralists call evil ... will all act in one accord to end that transgressor. I will no less act to protect you than you are expected for me, and the same goes for all of us. I mention this ... because while Tallesin is a man that enjoys the attentions of a beautiful woman, the rest of us don't have the time it takes for a master killer to steal his soul to determine if such a touchy stranger is hostile or not. We will end the stranger to protect our own, and then determine later if we maybe acted too rashly."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286

Melinda fights rather hard to suppress a suite of reactions, which mostly consist of different varieties of disgust in the ways that some of the men and women in the room are willing to treat each other. She eventually joins Tali in giving a disappointed laugh at the poor man in the stick.

The diminutive woman then draws herself up to what height she has. "It's rare that I vocalize my agreement with the Emissary," the bardess sardonically observes in her own scholastically accented Amazonian, which appears to be a lingua franca for this group, strangely enough. "I admit you're quite the refreshing personality, Bea, to remind us of our common ground." She smiles to both of them and curtsies. "I'm Melinda. Welcome. I hope we find fellowship."
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

17. - Top - End - #287

Taleira Ulharvyth

The sound of another amazon's accent catches Taleira's attention, and she turns away from Talbot to see who the newcomers are. Both are subjected to a quick assessment as they introduce themselves, though her gaze lingers a touch longer on Ireth.

When it's her turn to introduce herself, Tali speaks. "As my sister said, I'm Taleira Ulharvyth, daughter of Ashke Ulharvyth, from the City of Gardens. If the name didn't give it away, I'm dragonblood, with the power that implies." She gestures to the sword at her back and the dagger in the sash she wears for a belt. "I can use those, too. Short version of what I do: I make things dead, hopefully keeping you alive in the process. I think that covers the parts you'll care about."

Taleira Ulharvyth is a human woman of a bit above average height, with an athletic build. Her red hair is pulled back in a ponytail and tied off with a bit of ribbon, presumably to keep it out away from her face. Her blue eyes have a cocky gleam to them, giving her soft features the look of a perpetual half-smirk. Despite the fact that she's only average among the beautiful women in this gathering, she has a supernatural allure to her second only, perhaps, to Lildorrinene's. She wears a low-cut tunic and trousers of black silk, plus a pair of soft boots. Over that, she wears a mantle embroidered with a pattern that at once seems to draw and deflect attention, secured with a gold sash in place of a belt. Like the others here, a ruby necklace rests at her throat. Across her back, she has a curved two-hand sword with an old electrum piece on a cord tied to the pommel, plus a dagger tucked in her sash. She wears no armor, and carries herself with a confident swagger that implies she knows she doesn't need it. Tali's accent hints that she's from the City of Gardens, though less clearly than if she had just left recently.

Ring of X-ray Vision
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taleira looks human. Her physical responses to the events of the past few moments are even and not particularly remarkable.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Lildorrinene:

"Heh, don't 'splode your feathers, Lily-dear. I do no bad to little Talbot and stuff. We're all friends." Bea lazily rests her head upon her arms. Her dark locks toss about in a nonexistent breeze.

"But you ask about Bea, hmm?" She hums a few bars of a childhood melody.

"Bea is the Valhaard sphinx at dusk," says Bea who walks into view and addresses the Nocticulan face-to-face.

"Bea is the voice of comfort on a lonely night," says another Bea who joins her twin.

"Bea is the finder of the lost," says a third Bea.

"Bea is the caller at mystery's death and rebirth," says a fourth Bea.

"Bea is the leash of ill fortune," says a fifth Bea. Several more file in behind her.

"Bea culls the foe, swift and hard," says the final incarnation of Bea. The group converges in the blink of an eye. Dark swords appear out of nowhere, but all Beas dissolve into shadowdust before a single strike is made.

Bookshelf Bea's brown eyes twinkle. "You want to know more? We go outside."

----

Dot:

Bea shrugs off Dot's complement, but you can tell that she appreciates it. "Half magic, half practice."

Bea raises a suspicious eyebrow at Clyde. He seems docile for the moment, but could this be an outsider-spy?

She waves to her kin-sister Tasha and whispers to her in their native tongue. "You're bright and healthy; I'm glad! Say, I'm dying to hear news from Home, but first I gotta ask -- and don't panic: What's the deal with Surly McHulksalot beside you? Yeah, he's not a dude, he's... I don't know what the hell he is, but he's Ugly as sh*t."

She jabbers on with Tasha about how she landed this awesome gig down south. They almost renamed Glory Township after her. But they also wanted her to work behind a desk, so that was a dealbreaker fast.

After a while, she queries Tasha about the work thus far on the mission. Tasha is free to respond aloud or via whisper.

----

Ireth:

Bea notes Ireth's discomfiture: the tension in her neck and her filtered response. Waves of empathic anxiety are almost palpable.

Bea catches her eye. "Trust me. Relax." she whispers magically. Her hand motions a deep breath. Bea flashes a reassuring smile.

Ireth is free to respond aloud or via whisper.

----

Melinda:

"Good Girl, Melinda!" Bea responds perkily with visible relief that one other person knows how to speak properly. "I've lived in these parts for the better part of fifteen years, and I'll never get used to your language." She draws a horned demon with snarling snaggleteeth in the dust atop the bookcase. Its head is a little way too big for its body.

"Has anything interesting happened recently? If not, you'll never guess what happened to me about a month ago:

Spoiler
    Show
    "I was shacking up with this jock in G-Town 'cause I like mine big with a lot of oomph in their you-know. So I come home one day, and the Knights're all swarming our flat with swords and spears and sh*t. My man did something, I don't know what. But, the Law starts pointing their spears at me, calling me a something-or-other that I'd never heard of. So, I had me a choice: a) hand them their asses in pieces, b) run away like a b*tch, or c) go with them and find out what the hell's going on. I figure these guys were just doing their jobs, so A was out. I had time, so I flipped a coin, and it came up tails, C. 'Aww, what the hell?' I said. So, I hand over my bolas, and they march me to jail. What they didn't tell me was my trial wasn't for another month. 'Hell, no,' I said. So, as soon as they dropped me in my cell, I 'ported the hell out.

"Anyway about a week later, some chums and I were in the Feydark, and some pixies were just bugging the hell out of us. So, I decided to teach them a lesson. Now, I could've just ripped them to shreds, but they're not all that bad -- they just need to know when to cut it the hell out. So I reached for my bolas, but it wasn't there. 'Dammit!' I said. I left it in G-Town. So, I 'ported back, and that was my first mistake. I hadn't got a wink of sleep, so shame-on-me. Apparently, I was guilty 'cause I left, so they tried to take me to jail. 'No way,' I said or something to that effect, 'Who says?' So, the guy that sentenced me was Grand Duke Itty-... Itty-something, so I demanded to see him. They said no. I insisted. They tried to take me in by force. BIG MISTAKE. I went all Amazon on their asses, which I sort of regret in hindsight, but I was really pissed. I tromped on up to Itty's tower, more or less laying waste as I went. By the time I got there, Itty already had one leg out the tower window 'cause there was nowhere else to go. I lay into his ass; I mean, you could hear me shouting a mile away underground. I ended up dragging him out the window to the edge of town and giving him the boot.

"I hadn't realized someone saw me, 'cause the town went nuts. They threw together parades and sh*t in my name -- I can't believe I told them my name! And, they elected me Mayor right then and there. They tried to get me to stay, but I told them I had stuff to do and friends counting on me. I must've used every excuse in the book. But, eventually they let me go. I appointed a Deputy, and off I went. But, you know what sucks? Really? I'll tell you. Where the hell is my bolas?"

----

Tali:

Bea likes what she hears of Tali. "We are sisters of method. Tell me, which do you prefer: Sword or spell?"

----

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Hair Breeze: Prestidigitation
    Bea Clones: Project Image, Greater Mirror Image, and six Quickened Ghost Sounds.
    Whispers: Messages

19. - Top - End - #289

LILDORRINENE

Lildorrinene smiles as Bea comes to try to face her down (which isn't likely to work, but the writing was such that a real 'battle of wills' was not at stake). With the " ... go outside" line, Lildorrinene smiles ... honestly and appreciatively. "Are you an actual illusionist ... or even beguiler yourself, considering our overlap in spells? or, do you merely favor illusion spells? Considering your propensity for combat, I seem to doubt the beguiler option."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are these some sort of powerful mixed SLAs - which itself requires some concentration (which would be visible, considering in combat it provokes an AOO), even though it doesn't require verbal or somatic components - that you can invoke several times in one round? or, did you leave out that each ability occurred incrementally, not all at once .... and you possibly had to actually cast the spells? If you cast the spells, did you have to use any material components or did you seem to use an item that you have to use 'actively' (as in, "in hand," rather than something like the ring, which is worn but used without waving it around or 'wielding' it)?

Next, did she speak flatly, or was there any sense that she was skilled at Intimidation? not for the purpose of pvp here .... just gauging your skills. If so, roughly how good is the modifier? 1-5 meager, 6-10 decent, 11-10 relatively intimidating ....

Lil nods again, smiling .... as warmly as she might be considered to smile. "Your creativity alone in the use of several layered powerful illusions alone - and your ability to teleport, since you claimed as much - makes you quite welcome, Bea."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot gives a wry half-smile and pats Clyde's head, taking in Bea's appraising glance.

"Clyde is neither docile nor a dude, I'm afraid, at least not as you probably understand the term. I am a summoner, and these three are tools that I employ. Clyde is a Bar-Lgura whose real name requires considerably more teeth than I possess to pronounce properly. Tasha is, like Lildorrinene, a succubus, and Zippy is a slaad who, when called, gave his name as a collection of profanities bringing together the scatalogical, theological and conjugal and incorporating fourteen languages. Fourteen?"

She turns to confirm with Zippy, who speaks with a sweet childlike tone.

"Thirteen. But who's counting?"

Dot turns apologetically back to Bea.

"So while I'm sure that Tasha would be more than capable of chatting with you about news from home, it would sadly be comprised almost entirely of lies and fabrications."

Tasha turns to look at Dot, and there is what seems like a mental exchange of some length. Tasha turns away again.

"Well, somewhat. Apparently, Tasha spent several enjoyable years in this county you describe, although that was more than a century ago.

But none of this is to the point. I take it that the two of you have received a rundown from the priests about our progress so far?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2012-01-30 at 12:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291

Taleira Ulharvyth

Taleira smiles innocently before she replies, switching back to Amazonian when she does. "Trick question. I use both as they're needed. Both at the same time, frequently. There's usually more call for my sword, though."
    Snickett avatar by me.

22. - Top - End - #292

"Oh, Bea, so incredibly much has happened recently. If you'd asked me a month ago where I'd be now, I'd never have dreamt I'd be here. I gave a concert at the City of Gardens only about a week ago, I don't know if you were there." Melinda grins.

"But Dot's trying to bring us around to point. More than one thousand years ago, the prophet Cassiopeia wrote prophecies in scripture foretelling the unification of three goddesses of Love, one of whom did not even yet exist in that capacity. These Scriptures were pondered many times over but were passed over because then was not their time," Melinda expounds. "Now is their time. And so we have been seeking out the signs as they have been revealed to us, and attempting to bring to pass the events foretold in holy verse:"

Find them all, divide the haul. (Done.)
    The woman who is not a woman must be found and convinced to join us. (We've been stuck on this one.)
    The Sword, which was never broken, must be fixed and joined to us. (Done.)
    The diamond necklaces must be ours. (Done.) Melinda seems particularly satisfied with that pronouncement.
    The lightning sword likes us; the fire must too. (I have my ideas.)
    Two must be freed, one to live and one to die. (I have yet none.)
    And one last loner:

The home must be visited and a shrine built. (Tallesin is championing this effort. I think it is in safe hands.)

23. - Top - End - #293

SamuraiGirl

Tallesin is slightly miffed by Bea's manhandling and air-chomping, but being a male in a female-dominated pantheon, it's nothing terribly new or upsetting. "Talk about a biting wit..." he jokes to himself.

Entering the conversation, Tallesin says, "Lildorrinene, I must thank you twice now. Once for the fantastic explanation, and twice because I do believe that's as close to affection for me I've seen you come (not counting the awkward introduction between the two of us, of course). Don't worry, it won't go to my head, and I promise my politeness won't get me killed. Still, it is appreciated, milady."

"On the subject of skills, I suppose it would be relevant to list my own. To the best of my knowledge, I am the party's sole wizard. This means that if there's an arcane spell we lack, kindly inform me, and (funds and time permitting) the spell will be a permanent addition to my -and therefore our- repertoire. My specialties are abjurations and force-based spells, but I do not restrict myself to a school, so anything arcane is an option. Consider that an open invitation- I welcome requests. As for My Mistress," he says while patting his sword, "she and my more... innate abilities ensure that I can still contribute even when my wizard utilities are exhausted. 'A sword never runs out of spells,' as they say. Oh, and I dabble a bit in the mercantile business, but that's simply because one must know prices if he's to stay on the cutting edge of style. Such things just suit me, ah-ha!"

Turning to the real matter at hand, Tallesin takes on a more businesslike air. "But yes, Melinda, with the start-up donations, projected ongoing profits from the store, and eventual tithes of pilgrims, the shrine should be financially self-sustaining. Before we progress too far, if our new comrades have not yet been given the Goddesses' necklaces, it would seem prudent for us to thus equip them now: your prophetic recitation jogged my memory. However, given my absence during the research, I again must humbly defer to the collective wisdom of the party. Have any conclusions or leads emerged?"

X-Ray Vision Results for Bea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tallesin Eliado appears to be a normal human, but something odd about him becomes clear upon closer observation. There appear to be some objects hidden inside him- a book, a stone, a coin purse and an odd-shaped trinket that cannot be clearly identified through all the other stuff.

OOC: I never expected someone would actually go to the trouble of x-ray visioning Tallesin. Well played! If you have any other vision/divination spells active, I'm happy to describe the results further.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot picks up the thread from Tallesin with a small gesture.

"Thank you, Tallesin, and thank you to Melinda for that excellent rundown. I believe we may have made some progress on the nature of the "one to live and one to die.

"There seems to be some indication that, while Cassiopeia's soul has departed these earthly realms, it hasn't made it to any of the final resting places that you might expect for our holiest prophet. There's some indication that her soul, and another who is in some way associated with the letter H, is trapped somewhere. I have been unable to determine any mortal groups or fell races that dabble in such magic. However, a survey of religious texts suggests that such an activity would fall most clearly within the purview of a worshipper of Morgaz, Orithon, Rohdan, Dantilus, or Kotep."

With a small gesture and brief intoned chant, Dot nods and slightly exaggerated representations of the five gods appear above the proceedings.

"Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to narrow it further. I can try to reach a servant of one of these Gods directly, to try to worm information from her or him. Or we can attempt to learn more from the mortal servants of the gods, but there's no guarantee that any mortal servants would have even the vaguest sense that divine servants of a god had swooped in to steal a particular soul a millenium ago. Which leads me back to either more library hopping or...the spells."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

Ireth

With a glance that plays between amusement and irritation, the lady draws herself up to her full (admittedly short) height before replying to Lildorrinne's rebuke.
    "Well, thank you for the courteous welcome that you and yours have given me. For a better assessment, then, I am no mortal elf. I am of the incarnations of nature's beauty personified, a nymph of the Amazonian forests. If I said that I am a sometimes student of the Art, it is because I am less a full mage, and work my magic through my voice and will rather than any formal training. Additionally, I have devised means of using my voice to enhance them beyond what the usual effects are. I am in touch with nature in a way that your druids only wish they knew.

With a break to stretch and a brief mental command to her robe to open its Eyes and intake the gathering with better sight, Ireth continues, almost casually to add "Oh, and if the mood takes me I can in varied and exciting ways crush the minds of others much like a human would an ant."
    Thanks, Telasi for the spectacular OotSatar!

Currently playing:
    In Debbie D's awesome "The Three Goddesses" game -Ireth, the shyest nymph you'll ever meet, bardic servant of the goddess of love.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    However, a survey of religious texts suggests that such an activity would fall most clearly within the purview of a worshipper of Morgaz, Orithon, Rohdan, Dantilus, or Kotep."
    Hah, girl. Not Morgaz or Dantilus, I'll bet you on that. Their portfolios are death and blood respectively. Theyre not subtle enough for soul trapping. I'd toss out Orithon too, hes a god of war, soul trapping wouldnt be honourable to him. Its more likely someone who would have more of a reason to oppose the trinity that she represents. Rohdan opposes just about everything in the world, and seeing as Tishtina was closely connected with Philisar, thats reason enough for him. And Kotep, well, hes a god of black magic, it would be a challenge in the theory for him.

27. - Top - End - #297

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie_D View Post
    Rohdan opposes just about everything in the world, and seeing as Tishtina was closely connected with Philisar, thats reason enough for him. And Kotep, well, he's a god of black magic, it would be a challenge in the theory for him.
    Tallesin leans on his cane as he listens attentively to Talbot, before chiming in: "Good ladies, please correct me if I am in error, but was not Rohdan a competitor of yours in this year's Cup of the God's tourney? I was elsewhere on Mistress Zanthia's bidding at the time, but I distinctly recall the poetry in tribute to your victory. How do it go again?" *ahem* "And down came Rohdan, fierce was his fall; his vile sword was beaten, to the salvation of all. In triumph stood new deity, from the Three of Love: Her powers ascending, upending, upsetting all else above. It always amuses me how much more quickly news travels when it's done via tavern songs, but it sprang to mind when you listed possible culprits. Do any of you recall anything from that competition that might guide us?"

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Lily:

Bea was hugely entertained by Lily's cat-and-mouse game of pidgeonholing her. But alas, Lily managed to maintain her composure.

Compliments, honor, welcome, yadda-yadda. Bea's return salute wilts, as if the act of playing along killed it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Project Image does not require concentration past casting. The same goes for Greater Mirror Image. Project Image mimics your actions automatically, but you can make it act differently with a simple move action. Bea doesn't like spells that require concentration to maintain them.

Bea uses spells, components and all. Spellcraft away.

Out of initiative, flow of time is vague. Like in cinema, some scenes get cut, and others get slow-mo'd. Fill in gaps as you desire.

That said, Project Image and Greater Mirror Image can both be cast in the same round. GMI casts with an immediate/swift action.

The Illusion Beas were speaking flatly. Sorry, that wasn't clear. Bookshelf Bea clearly loves to show off. Her lack of gravity is equally obvious to the casual observer. I see no reason to be intimidated, other than watching someone pop high-level spells like Tic-Tacs. That is certainly unusual.

Dot & Casandra:

Bea looks as if a glass of wine had been thrown in her face. She throws Casandra a "for real?" glance. Succubi, slaadi, and Keebler Monkeyface are all creatures that Bea would've slaughtered on-sight in any street in any town.

Bea whistle long and low. "I hope you know what you're doing 'cause that's nuts." If she had balls, they'd be gold plated and weigh 25 pounds each.

----

Taleira:

"Sword is simple; has one job, always works. The only exception is ghosts. If one misses, then it's used wrong.

"Spell is different beast. Smart spell is better than powerful spell. Many use wrong spell. Cry when no effect.

"Taleira is right: sword and spell are not opposite. Best used at same time. Well done!"

"Bea will watch Taleira. Will learn how Taleira uses sword and spell."

Spoiler
    Show
    I omitted mention of Bea's weapons because she doesn't carry any, not even a bolas.

----

Melinda:

"Woman who's not a woman?" Bea's nose scrunches. "Who's that?"

"Well, it's not Clyde 'cause he's a dude... sort of." Her eyebrow ticks. "Wait. Let me check... Yep."

Bea's eyes lock on Tallesin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was Bea at Melinda's concert? 01-10=Yes (1d100)[3]

Vision. Caster Level (1d20+16)[27] vs DC 30

----

Tallesin & Casandra:

Tallesin says a bunch of words. Not unlike Lildorrinene's speech, Bea doesn't seem to get it all. But, she gets all the important stuff:

Bea bounces down from her perch and accosts Casandra, hand outstretched. "Necklace!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft on the effect of objects inside Tallesin. If it's mundane, then eww! (1d20+21)[29]

If it's a Hoard Gullet, I thought that those were extradimensional.

----

DM:

"How do we free the Two Who Must Be Freed?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Vision; Caster Level (1d20+16)[28] vs DC 30

29. - Top - End - #299

"The woman who is not a woman is a mystery to me. Some sort of riddle, but my wit is lacking. On the competition, though...That sword was forged by our Adversary himself," Melinda recalls with some distaste. "It did have the power to trap souls of our faithful, and it was used exclusively against champions of our three faiths. And that sword was destroyed when we released all whom it held. So our misogynistic Adversary was already a prime suspect for the soul-trapping business." She speaks chiefly to Lil, but doesn't address her directly. "Talbot, if the only other deity you might believe to be involved is Kotep Arasin, the fabric of the prophecy is consistent either way with both these faiths' opposition to us in the Cups. Perhaps we ought to pay our old competition a few visits?"

"If we do, I would suggest we start with Varinn and Kiang," Melinda puts forth. "We may be able to secure their support as we did in the competition, as an extension of the same aim. Lia, you mentioned a similar idea before. Did you ever pursue it while you were on your own?"

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

"da nana nana na na na springtime," Bea hums softly to herself. "dana na nanana naa naa gonne"