New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

Akhane Shuseya (aka Taleira Ulharvyth)

Akhane sips his drink and takes a bored glance over his shoulder while Taleira sends her telepathic reply. I've heard worse ideas. It's a gamble, but if he's right then it's worthwhile.

Back at Tallesin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "'Interrogate' and 'dispose' of him?" Master Eliado, have you any idea what you just suggested? Tali's voice in his head sounds intrigued. Of course, I'm able and willing to do it, but - her voice shifts into Akhane's sibilant whisper - "Have care, lest you regret your wish."

GMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taleira will use her Detect Thoughts SLA (DC 26 Will) if that won't be immediately obvious to people in the vicinity. SLAs don't have verbal or somatic components, but do provoke, so I'm never sure whether they're noticeable or not in a given game outside of combat, particularly Detect type stuff with no blatant physical manifestation.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot rolls with the cuff, and scurries off out of reach.

"I agree, it's worth pursuing the opening this man has given to learn more about the workings of this place."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

BEAST

"No," comes the flat telepathic answer from Atareth/Beast. "Which of the three goddesses are we serving to simply use this man and toss him away like an old sponge? Nocticula? Wouldn't even that One want us to find a way to extend his use instead of playing trash collectors? Wouldn't the main cook's presence be missed? Don't you think priestly magic could, if not solve the case outright, at least point interrogators to us? I sense no evil in this man, and any deceit he has is likely what he must muster to survive. Do not act like Rohdanites and say 'But they would've done it to us, so we're justified', else why do we quest so? Some of you have the ability to woo with words as well as any magic, and can back it up with magic. Better that than create a vacuum in this place that will be noticed."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

4. - Top - End - #364

The paladin's declaration prompts a telepathic tirade from Taleira. Ah, the fact that I'm the one Master Eliado requested means that something sinister must be afoot, of course. Please, do explain why you immediately jumped to your particular conclusion, and why you believe I would be so foolish as to not have considered both of the issues you suggest. In fact, I believe you have given the answer to your own question, so far as disposing of bodies is concerned. The same magic that can compel his answer can also make him start a fight he would die losing. I doubt that anyone here would give that a second thought. You also assume that none of us is able to simply alter his memories, or learn what we may without revealing ourselves, or that none of us has ever had to dispose of an inconvenient body. I can personally assure you that two of those three are in our power. Moreover, what gives you any right or authority to dictate any of our actions? I daresay few enough share your opinion, doubly so among those here. If that went over your head, let me put it simply for you: sit down, shut up, and stay out of things that don't concern you.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Colossus in the Playground

LINDOR THE LUCKY

Lindor can't help but be amused by this ....
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnQ_mp9TzZY
    ...but good(-good) sense takes over. She tepes, "While I agree in the expediency mentioned - by all people, Tallesin - perhaps the paladin has something here. Let us keep the more extreme possibilities in mind, of course, but see if we can't tempt with honey what might just have enjoyably come to us in wrecking his mind - and body. Start with old-fashioned diplomacy and work upwards. Akhane, Eli ... I'll leave that to you.

"The rest of us should visit the Temple..."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

6. - Top - End - #366

Certainly, and I'll update you if we learn anything notable. Good hunting.

As the others make to leave, Akhane speaks momentarily to Lindor. "As before, I shall not accompany you." Afterwards, he goes to get a refill, takes a sip, then looks at Cookie. "What is there for one who does not wish to worship Rohdan?"
    Snickett avatar by me.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Assuming that prolonged needless silence would likely draw attention even from the amiable and simple-seeming Cookie, Eli/Tallesin tips heavily and orders fresh, additional food and beverages for Akhane and himself, hopefully buying enough time for the party's telepathic chat.

With the cook distracted, 'Eli' slinks back into his drink as Tallesin begins telepathically addressing the uproar he unleashed. "Friends- sisters- please note that I said 'at worst'. Mistresses Peridot and Lildorrinene seem to have caught the thrust of my proposal: I simply want to pursue this opportunity to gain more information. Such a thrust need not come from a sword when honeyed words suffice. Further, I knew not that the man was virtuous: in the belly of the beast as we are, I assume all men here are as wicked as wights and just as hungry for our flesh."

"I believe this cook may be friendly to our true cause, and if so, he is genuinely better left untouched and perhaps even left empowered. Until my hunch is confirmed, however, he is still openly associated with those who would dance on our graves, and therefore caution is required for our very survival. At the moment, our best bet with him lies in 'Eli' and 'Akhane' playing out their roles as dissatisfied grunts and apathetic pilgrims to this holy site. If Taleira and I can gain anything from the cook without violence, then we learn something valuable without raising an alarm. If not, then it is possible that our failure raises suspicions, which is when my admittedly indecent hypothetical may became necessary if any of us cherish life. I do not relish or enjoy death, but I would rather not face my own today."

"So then, you all shall visit the priests (which was our original goal), while Taleira and I test the waters with Cookie. Should things turn sour -or sweet for that matter- we shall inform you at once, but I think it will end pleasantly for all involved, even that blasted chef."

After the group eventually departs and Cookie returns, Eli chuckles in affirmation of Akhane's question. The smirks and eye-rolling present when Lindor and Drew were speaking are gone: Eli is more attentive now with the 'boss' gone.
    Last edited by Ason; 2012-02-22 at 03:56 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

The rest of the party gathers their things together and heads off to the temple. Its a short distance away, no more than a 5-10 minute walk, and seeing as it is the grandest building in this camp, its impossible to miss it. Outside the temple door are 3 armed guards, who watch you as you approach the building. As you mount the stairs, one of them steps forward just a bit.
    Who are you, and state your business in the temple

Back in the cookhouse, Cookie returns with even bigger helpings of the food than the group originally got...and while the first helpings were satisfactory in their taste, these ones are just that much better.
    Your boss man seems to be the rather pushy sort, doesnt he? Doesnt surprise me, most Rohdanites know only way of doing things, plow through everything until soemthing kills you. Youd best be careful round here if you dont worship Rohdan, its not likely to be taken kindly to.

@Taleira
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your SLA is starting slowly, but the surface thoughts of Cookie right now are trying to find out exactly who you are and what you are planning for this camp
    Last edited by Debbie_D; 2012-02-22 at 10:13 AM.
    The problem here is between the keyboard and the chair.

Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar.

9. - Top - End - #369

LINDOR the LUCKY

"I'm Lindor the Lucky, and this is my crew: the Fear of the South. We've come from far and away to see the Temple of my god. If that's not good enough for His worshippers to gain entry to witness these hallowed halls, then perhaps one of our member can show you proof of our devotion. We didn't come all this way to a Temple - a hall of public homage - to find out that it's simply a private villa for the most blessed."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370

Akhane nods. "I shall. Your phrasing suggests you speak from experience. Is that so?"

GMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+17)[20]
    Maintain Detect Thoughts.
    Snickett avatar by me.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    LINDOR the LUCKY

"I'm Lindor the Lucky, and this is my crew: the Fear of the South. We've come from far and away to see the Temple of my god. If that's not good enough for His worshippers to gain entry to witness these hallowed halls, then perhaps one of our member can show you proof of our devotion. We didn't come all this way to a Temple - a hall of public homage - to find out that it's simply a private villa for the most blessed."
    The guard steps back, making way for you to enter.
    Of course we are not some sort of private villa, we only ask to make sure you arent here to make trouble. Any who truly worship Rohdan are welcome here.

Quote Originally Posted by Telasi View Post

Akhane nods. "I shall. Your phrasing suggests you speak from experience. Is that so?"

GMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: [roll0]
    Maintain Detect Thoughts.
    Ive been able to maintain a low profile, so its not direct experience...but Ive seen what happens to others, and Ive seen what happens when groups go out on raids against the elves, especially

@Taleira
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you maintain your detect thoughts, you get the impression that Cookie is here, undercover, as a spy in an effort to gain intel and possibly to disrupt the camp.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The guard's comment about being true worshippers of Rohdan tickles something at the back of Dot's neck with consternation. What if they have some sort of detection...

She and her 'bodyguards' look casually in and around the outer rooms of the temple.

"Oooh! Big!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Dot will cast a Silent Stilled Arcane Sight, to give her a 120' range view of any magic auras active in the temple. Spellcraft to identify specific effects: (1d20+37)[42]. Zippy and Tasha still have see invisibility active.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #373

Drew might be silent and stilled, but there is still the concentration that clues in Lindor to give time to his son to drink in the initial view of the Temple.

Lindor looks to Beast. "Stay here. Remember what happened the last time we went to a shrine of Rohdan. We can't have you eating any of the priests here just because they might insult you."
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the same time, Lindor tepes to Beast, "Too much chance and too many variables can discover you. Better that you hang out here. If you hear battle, you can come in as necessary or get the others based on your judgement .... but a good paladin celestial is just too much. Even if they don't have divination, too many random evil things can simply hurt you."

To Drew ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    "While you 'marvel' at the temple, give me the bullet version of our mission to make sure we're all on the same page."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-02-23 at 01:45 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

lostsole31
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, you got home before midnight. I thought for sure Victor was going to work y'all longer. I go out for drinks with the birthday twins, and come back to see you here well before me. Good job tonight, though. .... and, yeah, it may not be great for me as a player, but I understand what you're doing here as a player in holding me back. Good call.

Beast

Beast thinks snarls to himself and then shrugs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Through the D-ickTracy ruby communicator-necklaces: "I understand, but I doubt I'll be able to hear trouble inside a Temple - especially without the explosions of Eli's battle magics. But if trouble begins, I'll make sure these three monkeys are occupied."
    Last edited by PSinger; 2012-02-23 at 02:21 AM.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

15. - Top - End - #375

SamuraiGirl

Hunching in, Eli joins the whispered conversation. "Why stick around then? We've at least got persuasive methods," he says with a glance at his sword, "for when they don't take too kindly, heh." Studying Cookie more intently, Eli adds, "You sound a wee bit shaken- someone not taking kindly to you at the moment? Me and Akhane might be willin' to help; your grub's good enough."
    Last edited by Ason; 2012-02-23 at 04:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

The inside of the temple of Rohdan is much like what you expect it to be, rows of pews facing forward to a huge altar at the front of the chapel. To either side of the altar stand huge golden faunts, no doubt filled with unholy water. In front of the altar is a blood stained block of pure granite that has chains dangling from it. To the best of your knowledge, the church of Rohdan does not normally practice blood sacrifice, but you guess that sometimes an example needs to be made of some malcontent. Behind the altar is a massive statue of Rohdan in all his sneering glory.
    Alongside one wall are a row of curtained off booths, perhaps for those who wish a private moment with their deity. To the other side are a set of doors, leading to heaven knows what. There are also doors set behind the statue, and you can tell that the chapel itself is nowhere near as large as the temple on the outside, so there are rooms you just cant see right now.
    As you walk in, a priest in red and black robes approaches you.

Can I help you with something specific? Or do you just wish to pay homage to the glory of Rohdan?

@ Tallesin
    Cookie seems to be at war with himself, and then visibly comes to a decision.
    Im sticking around because Im on a mission here, to gather intel about this place and see if I can sow any seeds of discord. At least, that was my mission at start. But the place is just too big for the elves to ever wipe out, we can only contain it. The problem is, I cant leave, not without someone immediately noticing my absence, and theyll know I was a spy and come after me. Thats not something I relish happening.

17. - Top - End - #377

SamuraiGirl

At the chef's words, Eli pauses for a moment to study him, intently searching for any traces of dishonesty in what he just said. [Sense Motive (1d20+22)[36]] Sensing none, Eli replies,"Cookie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Eli then sips his ale, as Tallesin notifies the group at the temple: "Looks like we made contact with the elves after all. Perhaps we can coordinate a joint operation." To Taleira, he checks in mentally as well: "How do you want to proceed? Blow our covers to Cookie? He has the connections we need, and we have the ability to actually carry out his mission."

18. - Top - End - #378

Tallesin
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to help him, I'll go along with it, but we'll need to move this conversation elsewhere. Telling him who we are is a major risk, more so in a setting this public. I think I'll let you make the call on this one.

GMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Continue to maintain Detect Thoughts.
    Snickett avatar by me.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

@Taleira
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cookie is a human, the elves chose him because unlike a magical disguise that can be detected and pierced, he is what he appears to be.
    The elves wanted someone to do recon on the city, because the epic warrior Starwyn Korivar who leads this place has not been seen in raiding parties for a year or so. They wanted to know if he was still alive or whether there was a power struggle going on...and if the city could be attacked. Cookie now knows that Starwyn is definately alive, and that any large scale attack by the elves is doomed to failure. He wants to get out and warn them off, but a sudden disappearance of him will prompt a large scale search. He doesnt have any sort of teleportation magic to get out of their search range.

20. - Top - End - #380

Moments after Tallesin's mental missive to the party, Taleira follows up with an urgent-sounding sending of her own. I've got a report on a guy called Starwyn Korivar. The man's face flashes in each recipient's mind. He's the big man around here, responsible for those fights with the elves we heard about. Be careful; he's out of our league. As in one-man army.

GMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Above is based on the assumption that I can see an image from reading Cookie's mind. If I'm wrong there, I'll edit. If that did work, Tali would also note any tricks of his that Cookie may know about, as applicable. (Not really holding my breath on that one.)
    And, of course, keep Detect Thoughts up.
    Snickett avatar by me.

21. - Top - End - #381

SamuraiGirl

Eli continues his response to the cook, "Cookie, even as a friend, what you just said is still rather serious. Is there someplace a little more private where we can continue this conversation? We can meet you there after your shift."

To Taleira:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "We already took a risk coming here, so we might as well see this venture to its conclusion- I vote telling him. If it does turn sour, only our two covers are blown: the others could finish the job if it really came down to it. Still... before we meet back up with Cookie, I'll prep a detect thoughts and some charm spells as back-up."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Head over to my tent he gives you directions I'll be there in about half an hour or so, I just have to check on a few things in the galley, make sure my assistants are doing their job and then I'll join you.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot pulls her head back and sends to the others telepathically.

"We're trying to get any clues, from records or oral tradition, that the church of Rohdan was involved with the theft of Cassiopeia's soul. How we get that information is pretty flexible. I'd suggested the traveling scholar route, but we've gone another way. Perhaps our mercenary band has had trouble with someone stealing the souls of one of our senior whatevers, and we look for advice from the great Rohdan about how this might have been accomplished, and undone.

"I'm not picking up any magic auras in the immediate vicinity. I'll keep an eye out and alert you right away if something else is picked up."

24. - Top - End - #384

Akhane waits and calmly finishes the remainder of his helping after Cookie leaves, both to not waste the better food and to avoid a suspicious sudden departure. After a reasonable amount of time, he leaves without fuss and begins meandering to the place Cookie indicated.

GMs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+18)[28]
    Listen: (1d20+18)[33]

Detect Thoughts briefly to see if there are any extraneous people present.
    Snickett avatar by me.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

@Taleira
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are no other thoughts present that seem to attract your attention, given what you are attempting to do

Taleira finishes her meal, and after several more minutes, she gets up and leaves the tent. No one seems to make any note of her leaving and she is able to find the tent that Cookie told her was the right one to go to. Its a bit more than just a tent, there seems to be some permanent construction as a part of it, a lot like some of the other places around. When she arrives, no one is there yet, and no one seems to take note of her stepping inside.

(Is Tallesin with her, and what does she do while waiting?)

26. - Top - End - #386

SamuraiGirl

Eli wolfs down the rest of his meal and walks alongside Akhane towards the tent. Finding nobody else inside the structure, he casts a spell on himself and then settles in to wait for Cookie, planning the discussion with Akhane in the meantime. When it seems half hour is nearly up, Eli then casts two more spells on himself, hoping they'll help smooth things over during the second meeting.

Spells & the Spellcraft DCs to identify them
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) Voice of the Dragon [Spell Compendium 232], DC 19
    2) Arcane Sight (Greater), DC 22
    3) Detect Thoughts, DC 17

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

The Beast, confident in the power of the necklaces for communication, begins roaming about camp .... not getting "into" anything, but taking a look around.
    Current Games

28. - Top - End - #388

Once inside and out of sight, Akhane settles in to wait. He takes up a position flanking the entrance, sword at hand in case any unwelcome visitors should arrive.

Mentally, to Tallesin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I trust you still have a teleport ready if we need to leave, Master Eliado?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft: (1d10+15)[24]
    Spellcraft: (1d10+15)[16]
    Spellcraft: (1d10+15)[24]
    Snickett avatar by me.

29. - Top - End - #389

SamuraiGirl

Mentally to Taleira
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of several varieties, naturally. Invisibility for us both as well, should you desire."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

After about 10 minutes of waiting, Cookie returns to the tent, nodding to both Taleira and Tallesin as he enters. He takes a chair opposite you.

So Ive told you my story, whats the deal with you in this city. And why are you hanging around with a Rohdanite, and be willing to help someone who is clearly opposed to them?

Meanwhile

Beast roams around the city/camp, seeing what (s)he can see. Its pretty much unlike anything (s)he has ever been in, a mixture of military encampment and a vague attempt at a city life. A blend of rough tents and cookfires, in between half hearted attempts at stores and houses. As if the builders couldnt decide what they were going for.
    As the wanderings continue, a man who is easily the size of her is walking towards her. Not wanting to make trouble, Beast changes her path just enough that he should just walk past her, but he changes as well, and they bump into each other.

Hey, why dont you watch where youre going. Knucklehead.