New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

Having accepted the toast, Melinda is about to raise a glass to her lips when the clarion call comes. She swirls the ruby-red liquid thoughtfully.

"On second thought, you won't mind staying here for a little while, will you Sword?" A smirk grows on the bardess's face as she processes the tone of Zanthia's missive, all too familiar. Melinda'd stared down her share of men trying to kick down one of her brothels' doors. She knew that summons when she heard it. "Wow. Some job you did there, ladies. Now we get to see something fun, I'm sure. After you?"

She catches her amazon friend on the way out of the creche-plane. "Hi, Tali." The two of them bring up the rear of the whole group as they trod over to Zanthia's reception chamber.

As the last one in, and not directly involved with the incident, the bardess simply curtsies to both the high pontiffs in the room and closes the door.
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-03-21 at 11:07 AM.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Tallesin jogs into the main area of Dot's private plane to join the group before departing, having been stirred into action by Zanthia's call, and he offers polite greetings and congratulations on a safe return to Melinda before the group transitions into Zanthia's sitting room. However, he is unhappy seeing a Rohdanite warrior in his patron's midst, and he strides to a position near her, ready to sacrifice himself in her defense upon command. "My Mistress, as always, your servant awaits his orders."

Upon recognizing the warrior, Tallesin adds, "We are men of action: lies do not become us. Remember, good sir, that I was truthful to you in what little I said, though our Goddesses never were mentioned. Will you maintain your honor in turn with the truth?" The 'good sir' line is said with thinly veiled annoyance, indicating it is more a formality than actual compliment, while the honor bit is Tallesin's attempt to appeal to the Rohdanite's warrior code.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth, now in full regalia (armor/ shield, deva form), stands in front of Ireth (if she'll let him) and Sword. She says nothing. On one hand, she recognizes that Sabrinians do try to be diplomatic about several sides, so it makes sense that any general inquiry might well make Zanthia the point-person. On the other hand, she's worried that the 'grey area' morality of Sabrinians, while in no way opens up for betrayal given everything, still makes for prickly bedfellows and possible "concessions".

Huh, she thinks to herself, "Tallesin's trying to appeal to the Rohdanite on grounds of a warrior's code. A Rohdanite."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Starwyn endures the japes and thinly veiled threats with silence...although his stiff back and thin smile speak volumes about how he would really like to deal with this group. But, cognizant of the fact that he is outnumbered and most likely outgunned by Zanthia, he maintains his peace.

You have something of mine. Something that I would like returned. Not the helm, I can get one of those any time I want, and seeing as my original plan for it went awry, I have no need of it right now.
    But the staff is another matter, and I want it back. I have an offer of informaton you might find useful.
    The problem here is between the keyboard and the chair.

Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Colossus in the Playground

Sense Motive for Lildorrinene: (1d20+20)[37]

Sense Motive for Lok-Too-Loo-Baz: [/roll]1d20+26[/roll]

I'm sure that the DM will assign Mr. Epic with some nondetection item, but that's not going to stop her from detect thoughts (DC 31, CL check (1d20+20)[23]).
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

6. - Top - End - #516

Sense Motive for Lok-Too-Loo-Baz: (1d20+26)[36]
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #517
    Orc in the Playground

Ireth

Once her fellow worshiper of Tishtina steps in front of her, Ireth deftly steps to the side so she can continue to have a view of the proceedings well enough. Once the comment is made for the staff, however...Her knuckles tighten around the stem of her glass, and she thinks to the group. "I suspect it wouldn't work, but if you like I could try to blind him. First he tries to bomb a community and frame us for it, and then he has the gall to come and demand the weapons back? I find him an affront to the senses, so it only seems fitting that we remove his.

As this missive is being thought out, if one is looking carefully you can see the starts of a change around the nymph. Her beautiful form subtly changes, making it almost painful to look upon the wrath she holds.
    Thanks, Telasi for the spectacular OotSatar!

Currently playing:
    In Debbie D's awesome "The Three Goddesses" game -Ireth, the shyest nymph you'll ever meet, bardic servant of the goddess of love.

8. - Top - End - #518

"Your Holiness," Melinda addresses Starwyn through Zanthia, to reinforce the notion that Her Holiness presides. "His Excellency Most Mighty was clearly willing to part with the object, considering how it was to be used. Might His Excellency entertain an offer of one rod of absorption and one staff of power to replace the staff that was taken from his arsenal?"

9. - Top - End - #519

Lildorrinene looks at Melinda and nods. "Well spoken, Melinda. I don't sense anything off in that he seems sincere in his offer, even if he is insincere as a person. Lok senses the same. But you're canny business sense might keep it from being a total loss, and it would be a shame that Ireth be so 'teased' by having power and then having it taken away through no fault of her own."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Im sorry, but I am not into negotiations for this staff. Its either that one or nothing. And the information I bear is quite worth the trade. The location of your prophet's soul?

11. - Top - End - #521

"Your Holiness, this one made her offer in good faith, but must respect His Excellency's clarity of purpose." Melinda's demeanor might as well have been made of blue ice. Only her rage, channeled through the strictest adherence to protocol, grants her words any pretense of warmth at all. "Putting aside for a moment the deep mistrust that has characterized relations between our Fellowships, how could we even in the best of worlds be well assured of the currency and relevance of His Excellency's intelligence? This one concedes that it might be another matter if His Excellency Most Mighty were willing to oblige us with some substantive proof to corroborate his assurances."

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Ever the pragmatist, Dot sends a mental note to her colleagues.

"Or we could just kill him and get the information from his corpse."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #523

Lildorrine tepes up, "A sound plan normally, but remember, we are in Zanthia's house. Until or unless he actually makes a move here, attacking him means that Zanthia's hospitality - even with one the likes of him - is dishonored. I think we need to play nice and keep in her good graces.

"We aren't here to get a staff of the magi, we're here to do a far different job. If he has a lead, then is it not worth it to check? He's not going to negotiate, his price is set. And considering the prize, I think the staff is worth it. Easy come, easy go."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot responds quickly.

"Easy come, easy go indeed. Easy for them to go to any temple of one of the Sisters, any amazon city, any elf grove, and set this thing off. If the black sword taught us anything, it's that big magic toys cannot be entrusted to these thugs."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

Zanthia smiles at Melinda.
    You forget, I am a priestess as well, and can easily determine the veracity of what he offers. He may have great powers of concealment, but I have even greater powers to strip those protections, and determine whether or not he lies. The choice to make the deal is yours of course, but if we agree and then he prevaricates, he will not leave here alive.

Starwyn's expression does not change either during the exchange of words, simply waiting on the group decision.
    I offer you the location of the soul of your prophet in exchange for my staff. Im not asking for the helm back, you can keep it, so you know that I am not thinking of attacking the elven village in the same way as before. That plan went by the wayside, in fact, the damage that would been done by that attack would have been questionable in its extent anyway, it would only have been effective in discrediting you in the eyes of the Foresta elves...and Corsada elves by extension.

16. - Top - End - #526

Melinda briefly regretted her unsuccessful attempt at goading him forward into volunteering more information than he was willing to bring to the table about the provenance of his intelligence. But if Starwyn knew that Zanthia could pull it out of him, and Zanthia knew that Starwyn knew, etc.... then it was all moot anyway.

"Your Holiness, this one would voice the concern that upon furnishing us with the information, His Excellency would immediately alert the keepers of the prophet's soul, and that the information which we had so dearly purchased might be made irrelevant or even harmful to us within mere hours." The bardess steeled herself to deliver the next few phrases, for which she was prepared to pay in real consequences. Starwyn might not leave this room alive, but if he took enough offense, neither might she.

"To counterbalance His Excellency's presumed interest, this one would additionally suggest that along with the information His Excellency so appropriately offers, he additionally render to the Three Sister Faiths collectively the temporary custody of one soul each, of three of his followers of our choice, as a measure of assurance that neither His Excellency nor those of his flock should further intervene in this affair against us. Custody of these souls would be restored to His Excellency upon the successful restoration of our prophet's soul to whichever Lady will receive her."

If Starwyn allows this new condition to stand in its full irony, Melinda continues, "This one would like to inform His Excellency as a courtesy that the three souls requested would be those of the champion who wielded that vile blade against us in the Cups, of his second-in-command, and of the agent involved in this very incident, whom His Excellency was already willing to sacrifice against us."

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Starwyn's look is still a blank mask.
    I do not trade in souls. I find the practice abhorrent. And once taken from its body, getting a soul back where it belongs is not the same thing as putting a bottle back on a shelf. You ask too much.
    As for informing the keepers of your interest, I have no stake in doing so. The deity that stole your prophets soul is Kotep Arasin, and I for one have no interest in dealing with Kotep. His views on warriors are well known, and the fact that I can wield magic makes me that much worse in his eyes. I would be dead before I could deliver my message to him. He, and the guardians he set in place over the soul are the only ones who know of it. I couldnt even deliver the message by proxy, as his priests and wizards are as fanatical as he is.
    If you wish further surety of my word, I will grant this. You do not have to return the staff to me immediately. You will place it in trust with a neutral third party that we find mutually agreeable. Once you complete your mission, the staff will revert to me.

18. - Top - End - #528

Lildorrinene says, "That is actually what I was going to suggest ... well, along those lines. That we leave the staff with Zanthia, receive the information, act upon that information, and once veracity is determined, return the staff to you. How does that sound to you, Starwyn ... Zanthia ... ladies and gentlemen?"
    Show

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth is less than pleased with having to deal with him at all. Still ...

To Ireth:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Sister, it seems we have as good a deal as we can make. A delayed trade, but it's the staff or nothing. Unless you wear magic on your head already, I'll give up my request for the helm and ask that it be given to you."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

The little mage fidgets, and sends telepathically to her colleagues.

"He doesn't trade in souls? Except for the fact that clearly he knows about the capture of Cassiopia's soul. And they crafted a huge black sword that sucked up the souls of the people it hit. No, no trade in souls going on here. Now he's asking us to just believe that, an hour after they execute this stupid plan to kill a bunch of elves, they've entirely abandoned it, and are only going to use the artifact for niceness now? Pfah.

"We now know that the soul is with the servants of Kotep. At best, this fellow is going to give us a location and some kind of cryptic warning about powerful guardians. Even if we aren't able to pull the information out of his head - if he knows this, others must too. I don't trust him, and I don't want to make this deal."

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Zanthia responds telepathically to Dot, and to the rest of the group.

If you think hes lying, then call him on it. I, for one, would like to hear how he skirts around not trading in souls, given what has happened....because I can tell you that I have not detected falsehood from him yet.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Orc in the Playground

Ireth

"I know it's a long shot ladies and gentleman, but I'm going to see if I can convince him to tell us a little bit more about this...I might have a chance as I wasn't involved in the Cup you are all mentioning."

Brushing her robes off and taking another sip of the wine to help steady her nerves, Ireth steps out from behind Atareth and bows to the Rodhanite. "I understand that you want the staff back, but surely you must see our position as well sir. I mean, you did just attempt to use it to bomb an elvish glade and make us appear to be responsible for this. I know, it wasn't personal by any means, but it does put a bit of a damper on business relations between us. Furthermore, who is to say we wouldn't have need of the staff on this most important quest where literally the soul of our prophet is at stake? Surely you can make the offer just a bit better, as a show of good faith?

Diplomacy check
    (1d20+38)[57]
    Thanks, Telasi for the spectacular OotSatar!

Currently playing:
    In Debbie D's awesome "The Three Goddesses" game -Ireth, the shyest nymph you'll ever meet, bardic servant of the goddess of love.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

"Fair enough."

Dot gives way to Ireth, and waits for Starwyn to respond to her, then speaks up.

"I'm fascinated to hear that you have no dealings with souls. I take it, then, that you disagreed with your church's efforts to suck in my soul, and those of my fellow participants, with the use of that black sword in the game of the Cups just a few weeks ago? In which case, what action have you taken to correct those who broke the rules of the competition so abominably?

"I call shenanigans on this new moral high ground you claim, sir. If you have no intention of repeating your efforts with the staff, why is it so important that you get it back now, so soon after your effort to blow us up?"

24. - Top - End - #534

Melinda will wait for Dot and Ireth's lines of dialogue to subside entirely before delivering her next salvo.

Open when/if relevant
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Your Holiness, this one offers her deepest apologies for having offended His Excellency's most delicate sensibilities upon the matter of his subjects' immortal souls," Melinda seethes. "As His Excellency has so kindly articulated his preference to avoid such complications as would be involved with their extraction from the body and replacement thereto, of course we would also accept their delivery alive, mens sana in corpore sano." The bardess never having been anything but serious, she leaves it to Starwyn to decide if her words represent an offer, or a threat, or both. "As the least token of her apology, this one would see to it personally throughout their stay with us that their every need and desire should meet with as voluptuous of fulfillment as she can humanly provide."
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-03-23 at 04:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vulaas View Post
    Ireth

"I know it's a long shot ladies and gentleman, but I'm going to see if I can convince him to tell us a little bit more about this...I might have a chance as I wasn't involved in the Cup you are all mentioning."

Brushing her robes off and taking another sip of the wine to help steady her nerves, Ireth steps out from behind Atareth and bows to the Rodhanite. "I understand that you want the staff back, but surely you must see our position as well sir. I mean, you did just attempt to use it to bomb an elvish glade and make us appear to be responsible for this. I know, it wasn't personal by any means, but it does put a bit of a damper on business relations between us. Furthermore, who is to say we wouldn't have need of the staff on this most important quest where literally the soul of our prophet is at stake? Surely you can make the offer just a bit better, as a show of good faith?

Diplomacy check
    [roll0]
    Starwyn sighs. Ireth can tell that her charisma is having at least a subtle effect on him.
    Who would have thought the Tishtinian would have been the bargaining agent. Very well, I shall give you a further incentive. I can grant each member of your team a tome of their choice to further boost their abilities, and I will give them to you before the mission. Does that count as enough of an incentive for you?

Everyone can choose a +4 tome, to whatever stat they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Dot

"Fair enough."

Dot gives way to Ireth, and waits for Starwyn to respond to her, then speaks up.

"I'm fascinated to hear that you have no dealings with souls. I take it, then, that you disagreed with your church's efforts to suck in my soul, and those of my fellow participants, with the use of that black sword in the game of the Cups just a few weeks ago? In which case, what action have you taken to correct those who broke the rules of the competition so abominably?

"I call shenanigans on this new moral high ground you claim, sir. If you have no intention of repeating your efforts with the staff, why is it so important that you get it back now, so soon after your effort to blow us up?"
    I do not trade in souls. The actions of others in the fellowship of Rohdan are not fully under my control, and they have to deal with the ramifications of their actions when they are called to their final accounting before Rohdan. I do not claim to know his mind on the matter. I am a warrior, and believe in granting my enemies a warrior's death.
    As for the actions of those who broke the rules of the competition, it may interest you to know that it was part of their life force
    XP cost that was used to power the creation of those books. Perhaps the irony of that would not be lost on you, and make my offer even more attractive.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Pressing her point further, Dot nods.

"We swim in ironies here, My Lord. It's lovely to distance yourself from the actions of your fellow Rhodanites, but clearly you were complic in this particular caper with the staff, or else you wouldn't be here so quickly to seek its return. I ask again, Sir. What need is so urgent that you need it back right away? Because...if your need is not so urgent, perhaps it could be returned once our tasks are complete, say in a month or two's time?"

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

I acknowledge my actions with the staff. It was an attempt to discredit your quest in the eyes of the elves. It had nothing to do with souls. My reasons for wanting it back are my own. And as for waiting for you to complete the mission or take it with you...I worry about your ability to complete this mission. I do not want that staff to be left behind in failed attempt to retrieve that soul and that evidence point to my involvement in it. I will accept it be left with Zanthia until you succeed, but I dont want it to be found in the heart of Kotep's demi plane. The ramifications of that would be...unpleasant...for me.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

The little mage snorts, sizing the man up, but says nothing. Telepathically, she signals the others.

"His contrition may not be genuine, but if we're able to leave the staff with Zanthia, it at least means that if if he is less than completely honest in his information, the contract would be nullified and I'd feel completely justified in handing the staff back to Ireth. And since he has said that it can be left with Zanthia until 'we succeed', that's easily interpreted to mean 'until we succeed in reuniting the goddesses.' What do all of you think?"

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

ZANTHIA

I will not hold on to the staff until you re-unite the goddess. His offer is for me to keep the staff until you deal with the soul. If I dont give back the staff at that point, he will start an attack on us, even worse than what he has done to this point.

30. - Top - End - #540

Lildorrinene speaks up, "We are less bargaining now, and more arguing. Let me sum up ....
    * We agree to give up the staff to Zanthia until such time as we deal with the soul; after that it is up to our own success. We do this as a sign of good faith as well as to remove such an item from Kotep's mages should we fail.
    * Starwyn agrees, in turn, to give us what information he has concerning this matter. In addition, as a sign of his sincerity in this matter and as concerns this bargain ... only (because everything else, whether we like it or not, is non sequitur) he will give us the second most powerful personal-enhancement tomes available for each type of that type we choose AND is comfortable for the time he must wait to have his staff returned. The time he must wait for the staff is to include the prep time before the mission when each of us studies our individual tomes and puts into practice what is learned.
    *** CAVEAT: The 'payment' of tomes only refers to each of the Chosen, and not our servants - such as my Lok' nor any of Dot's menagerie nor Atareth's Sword, though we may choose to forgo such an item for ourself to give to a servant.

"Ladies, that is over a half-million gold or so, and you have bargained well to get far more than was originally asked. We have a mission, and the chance to do so well enhanced beyond our normal means would be a good boon for the rest of our mission - and can't be broken, stolen, or robbed ... well, at least not in the same manner as an item.

"Starwyn, no doubt your personal puissance would cause havoc if things came to blows, but we would be like the fish that inhabit some jungle rivers; fish that are tiny but strip a larger one en masse. Be careful what you attempt, and why.

"All, I approve of this deal as is. I am one of seven that get to vote, as Zanthia leaves that squarely to us. What do the rest of you say? Let us vote. If we do not agree ... which doesn't mean one person doesn't like it and therefore filibusters, but rather the vote fails ... then we shall explore other options. (Meaning, we shall chatter away incessantly some more.)"

Spoiler
    Show
    We're all PCs, but still .... (1d20+34)[49]
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-03-23 at 07:16 PM.
    Show