New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

Looking around the simple home with an appraising eye, Dot brusquely adds to the mental conversation taking place.

"This whole house probably isn't worth more than a hundred gold pieces. Perhaps we can simply offer to buy it. It would seem an appropriately Sabrinian thing to do. Then we can construct a shrine as desired. What do you think, Melinda?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

If we build a shrine we will build it to the Trinity. A shrine to Sabrina would become meaningless by the very mission we are trying to accomplish.
    And I'm pretty sure that we will be able to procure this house simply asking to buy it, I don't think we'll even feel the cost of it.
    Does anyone have experience or at least basic knowledge about shrines or should we just bring in builders from the City of Gardes?"

Outside of telepathic communication Darya will try to lead the conversation towards the horses and races, also asking about "a big, red-ish horse on weak legs, without owner".
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

As the wizard wraps up his tour of things at the races, he sends a dejected-sounding telepathic message to the party: "Dear ladies, I am afraid my survey hasn't found much to offer, aside from some racing tips. Unless you found a better option, I'll see if I can find us pleasant quarters for the night where people are intelligent enough not to ask too many questions. The only unique tidbit from my search so far is that there is an opening for another jockey and horse- we may be able to exploit that."

To Darya, telepathically:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "And when I say 'we,' my lady, I am mainly thinking of you. It seems more than mere coincidence that your new blessing from above comes just at this moment when there is need for such a mount and rider. Should you wish to enter the race, I can initiate the proceedings over here in your absence. I know not if it is possible, but I shall endeavor to carry out your wishes, if you but give the command."

Tallesin and Delyth will continue exploring things at the races for now, keeping eyes and ears out for any further information that may prove useful, especially anything about current events or the power-players present at the races. Their searching is no longer on the race itself but those who are in attendance. If his efforts truly turn up nothing else of consequence, the wizard will look into potential lodgings for the party (unless told otherwise) or even check in with the officials about entering Darya in the race (should she ask that Tallesin do so on her behalf). Failing that too, he will attempt to rejoin the party. Since he didn't see where Melinda's spell took everyone else, this may take awhile longer, but the mage and raven are content to enjoy the countryside as they amble along, letting the necklace Tallesin wears direct him back to its siblings.

As he picks up pieces of the telepathic conversation at the house, the wizard mostly just listens, though he is obviously pleased by the party's discovery.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Darya's attempts to lead the conversation to a horse matching her description dont seem to bear a lot of fruit. While the couple is able to mention a few horses that might match the vague physical description, all of them have owners, which would seem to preclude what Darya is looking for.

Ason is not able to find anyone interesting that he knows, however he does find lodging for the group, which is no easy task given the number of people who are here.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2011-11-15 at 05:29 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #35

Taleira Ulharvyth

The house has been in this family for five generations. They have history here and probably no desire to part with that. I find it unlikely that they would sell their home to a bunch of complete strangers without a very compelling reason.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

LILDORRINENE

"I agree with Darya, the Trinity. Sorry, Melinda, but she's right - we're not trying to build further points of separation. Once the religions are brought together and the goddess has merged, we can each play our little games of sectification.

"I have some knowledge of shrines from a theological and engineering standpoint. Honestly, though, Lok here has the most far-reaching understanding of such matters - both historically and current. His knowledge of sites of power, ley lines, shrines, cultic practices, etc. are the best I've ever known. That, and he is nearly my equal in matters of building.

"However, for right now, he is contemplating an issue ... you'll notice him meditating over there. It is an annoyance when he does this, but it really does help him clear his head for some intellectual conundrum he's been perusing. And after this morning, a clear head is what I'd like to have from him."
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

7. - Top - End - #37

Taleira Ulharvyth

Tali shoots "Laelle" a dirty look when nobody is paying attention. You suggested building a Sabrinite shrine, I'll remind you. Blame passing attempts aside, though, she's right. Whatever shrine ends up being built needs to be dedicated to the Trinity. That's the whole point of this exercise.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

8. - Top - End - #38

LAELLE-DORRINENE & LOK-HASZ

Lildorrinene shrugs oh-so-faintly at Taleira's snipe while seeming nonplussed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I didn't have a memory wipe in the seconds that transpired ... and I am not stupid enough to believe that anyone else did. I was not adopting a remonstrative tone towards Melinda. Rather, Darya - thankfully - reminded me of our mission. I made that error in suggesting Sabrina; I accepted Darya's suggestion; and, I apologized to Melinda pre-emptively because I don't want her to feel slighted.

"I am immune to electricity ... I am immune to poison ... I am not immune to accepting my own fault and moving past it .... which I did. Would that you do the same."

Now, even though what is actually printed can be condensed into a 20-minute conversation ... enough pleasantries and other general conversation - mixed with Melinda practically cooking for the hostess (as I infer that we are given the hospitality of a meal here) - have occurred for the group to have been here for a few hours.

The winged giant speaks. Amazing as it might seem for so big a creature cramped into this house (though it is a larger house of old and solid construction), 'Lukasz' has been almost all but forgotten. His voice is somewhat distant and his eyes are shut.....
    "This house .... is a very old house. It has seen several renovations and a few fires, and yet always it stands. Look at the walls. The timber supports are only 50 years old after refurbishing, but the granite has a striation that no longer is quarried here. It is centuries, centuries old.

"I see many births - boys and girls both - but no weddings. The house was sold several times. But nearly a millenium ago, there was the birth of a girl they named Cassiopia. Yes ... yes. There she is. I see her. She is beautiful, and has obvious touches of Amazon ancestry mixed with a local farming peoples that lived here in that time long ago.

"She has powers she doesn't understand. Ignorant of her ancestral birthright, she tries to suppress them, but cannot. No one can help her. No one will help her. She knows she must leave ... to find the answer with the Amazons. She readies to leave.

"She is gone."

Lok looks up in the ensuing pause, catching his breath from the emotion of his retro-prophetic image (or, more likely, his imagination). "Other than the emotional content that Cassiopia was in fact here, there is nothing more for us in this place."

During this time, Lildorrinene - shocked that he would dare try such silliness in the same day, and after being punished - begins to rise as Lok 'prophesies.' Though her face is an unbreakable mask of inscrutability, none of the sister's doubt that she's about to blast his mind with pure will when she stops. She blinks and a faint sense of curiosity comes over her with the tiniest tilt of her head, and she sits back down. She is deep in thought, likely trying to figure out how to use Lok's new-found insanity to her advantage.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-16 at 01:34 AM.
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    21JAN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Taldor, the First Empire (2017, Moreland, Frasier, et. al.).
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

"Lil, no need to be sorry. How could I argue for the independence of our mission, then turn around and accept a singular dedication? I'm tired of all the contingencies their Holinesses can hold over our heads. Maybe you needn't worry about this as the Night Queen's chosen Emissary, but the rest of us currently exist as one Fellowship at their pleasure. I'm reluctant to surrender much of anything to them, least of all this very site."

Melinda seems visibly dismayed by something as she pours out the last of a pot. "I'm sorry, I always talk far too much without saying anything," she apologized. "Funny that we should leave off talking about Cassiopeia the Prophet. It was her birthplace that we sought today." A pause. "Her birthplace, which we have just found." Melinda lets that sink in for the Rogans, nodding and quietly affirming the questions that inevitably follow. "Yes, I'm prepared to recognize this place, your house, as a holy site. I think all of my friends here are. I've shared all my stories about pilgrimages because I hope you will be too."

"We're just the first band of pilgrims to come to Belmont Park looking for this house," the bardess laid it out. "If the gods will it, there will be many more. Mostly women, from all walks of life. But this is more than your house, it's your home. So I promise not to tell anyone else about this place, or to send anyone else here before you decide what part you want of all of this. I invite you to consider deeply, for as long as you need. There are so many options."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

The actions of Lok fill the Rogans with shock and horror, and when Melinda speaks to them, they just look at her, totally dumbfounded.

A holy site?...our house....?

What exactly do you mean....?

All sorts of women, all sorts of pilgrims, why?

And what do you mean by what part we want of it? What options?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #41

"Let me explain from the beginning.

A long time ago, a woman was born in this place, who later became a prophet. She made an important prophecy about the godesses of love, including Tishtina whose statue you have here and who I serve. A prophecy which is being fullfilled right now and which led us here.

We have confirmed that this is indeed the birthplace of the prophet, and should this become known it will be visited by many more people.

As Melinda said, we do not want to cast you out of your home, so if you should wish for it, we will keep this place a secret. However, we bid you to consider the other options you have. You could, for example, make a living by accomodating pilgrims. You could just live on like always and live with people like us sometimes visiting your house. You could also consider selling you house to us, so we can build a shrine. We would pay generously to call this holy place safe in our hands. My companions might have more ideas, but in the end it is your decision what to do.

We apologize for barging in and disturbing your peace. This is very important to us. We will leave you soon to give you time to think. I hope we can come to an agreement in this.

Whatever the decision, I wish you the blessings of Tishtina, you Alyssa, and your husband as well."
    Last edited by Partysan; 2011-11-16 at 01:46 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

12. - Top - End - #42

Lildorrinene answers Melinda. "I am Nocticula's Emissary, yes. But I was chosen for this mission, the unification of the Goddesses."

Seeing Melinda (a Sabrinian) and Darya (a Tishtinian) seemingly take the insane ramblings of her demonic, Nocticulan cohorts 'vision' without so much as any question of veracity - likely out of a hope that it's true - is something she finds most interesting.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa picks up the statue of Tishtina, her tone is a little whistful as she speaks.

In many ways, what you say is not a surprise to me. I, we, have been blessed with a happy and properous life by the goddess, we have never wanted for food or safety....but she never saw fit to bless us with children. No one to pass our legacy down to. Perhaps, this was why. The house was not meant to stay in our hands, it was destined for other things. And we're too old to consider playing hosts to pilgrims every day. We'll talk, Carson and I, but the idea of sellling to you, as long as you promise to build a shrine, makes sense to me.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #44

'Lukasz' sends a mental communication to 'Laelle.'

"Carson, Alyssa," starts Laelle, "Tishtina has blessed you, and regardless of the means by which your family earned this place, it seems that she has accepted that you live here. Why would we ask you to leave when you've spent your lives in this house? Who better to tend a shrine than yourselves? Anyone else would be chosen by someone else ... but you were chosen by Tishtina Herself. We ask that if a priestess and somebody to help you with the pilgrims to come could stay here with you in time .... but that won't be necessary yet. But you tend this place well enough right now. Anywhere else wouldn't be your home. We will check in from time-to-time to make sure you are doing well."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Melinda nods in agreement. "All we would build is a shrine to Love, Alyssa. Your love already keeps this place holy. You don't need priestesses for that." She smiles. "And Carson, how do you feel about all of this? This has been your family's house for five generations. If this place becomes a shrine, it will not pass to your kin."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot smiles, pleased that the negotiations seemed to be as clear, straightforward and honest as they were. Mentally, she begins figuring out where best to put the gift shop.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Carson and Alyssa look to each other, and nod.

Your way does seem best. We will build the shrine, and the pilgrims can start to come. Keep their numbers low at first, is all we ask. We need to adjust to what will be a new way of life. And if a priestess will come to help us, that would be wonderful.

Carson shakes his head. I have no kin to pass this house to. In fact, of late, I have wondered what would become of this house. It was going to leave the family anyway, perhaps, now, it really wont.

He smiles

And maybe the priestess could bring us some luck in racing. I think we're both in agreement about this.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #48

Laelle says, "You must understand, however, that we represent all of the Goddesses of Love ... savory and un-. The prophet of Sabrina was born here. Tishtina protected you. But Nocticula is not to be excluded, for all Three will be One."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Technically, she wasnt a prophet of Sabrina. Or Tishtina or Nocticula for that matter. She was a prophet of the goddess-to-be. At the time, she probably would have worshipped Tishtina.

Carson nods his head in acceptance.
    I think, or perhaps, I hope I understand. All of them will be welcomed here. In that spirit, perhaps one priestess from each of the now separate faiths would be a good idea.
    He looks around the house.
    It looks like I'll have a lot more free time to work with the horses
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #50

Default Lia Naida

The small, perhaps unnoticed, red-haired, green eyed young woman amongst the small crowd, clears her throat and speaks, "The birthplace of their prophet, being a place somehow blessed by Love will make a fitting shrine to the Trinity. If you both, Carson and Alyssa, are happy to tend to this place, then that leaves only the question of a suitable guardian. I shall organize it during within the next few days."

"Worry not, this is but a contingency to protect the shrine and it's caretakers, and I will see to it that like Love itself - it will be both swift and unseen, and always there should it be needed"

At the same time as she speaks, her companions hear Lia's telepathic voice in their heads, "I have already organized for a permanent guardian to be bound to this place. It will take a day or two for the necessary items to be made and delivered. Fortunately, with the various arrangements to be made here, and the horse races in town, I expect we will rather occupied during that period of time."
    Last edited by Stormwind; 2011-11-17 at 03:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Laelle answers 'openly,' "Excellent Lia. I do enjoy the ability to communicate granted by these necklaces. Communication is the cornerstone to conquest."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-17 at 03:44 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

"I'm happy we've reached an understanding," Melinda rejoices. The deal was basically in the bag. "Lay the thought aside for a while, think it over tomorrow. See how you feel about everything then. Good decisions are often made out of the moment, but seldom in haste. We'll be in town for a few days yet for the Stakes, and we'll come visit again before we depart." So saying, Melinda begins to signal to her compatriots that she is ready to leave. "So Carson, who's your favorite to win the Stakes? Shall I put in a ceremonial bet?"

Lia
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Impressive, sister," compliments Melinda. Yet her mental tone is dark. "I'd really like to have a chat with you sometime, if you're willing to suffer my blather. Do you have time for me?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

The group prepares to depart from the house, and it just so happens that Darya is the first one out of the door. The rest of the group almost runs over however, as she stops suddenly in the door.
    Standing in one of the fields around the house...is her horse. Its cropping the grass in the same way it was in her vision, in fact, she knows that this moment is the vision she had.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot glances from Darya to the horse, and back again. Huh. Fate did indeed play funny games.

25. - Top - End - #55

'LUKASZ'

"Oooh, look!" cries 'Lukasz', "a horse! I love horses, truly one of my faves. I prefer the thick meaty flavor of a thoroughbred, though those white quarter horses have more of a dessert ..... What. Was it something I said?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Melinda is not at all surprised at the horse's sudden appearance. "I prefer camel myself," Melinda admits. "And nothing soothes the heart like camel milk stew. Great aphrodisiac, too. You know the saying, 'One glass a day, five times a night?'" Melinda nodded knowingly. "Besides, horses are just a little too beautiful to be eaten on any day but a festival." She walks towards Darya's horse and reaches up to stroke its mane. "What's its name, Darya?"

Melinda draws up her hood against the chill of early evening air, and starts walking off back towards town. "So I'm curious, Lil, what -would- you have done?", she asks. "I want to probe this infinite imagination of yours."
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2011-11-17 at 09:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

LILDORRINENE

Having an idea of what Melinda is really asking, but unable to resist the current conversational strain, Lildorrinene shrugs. "Horses are too rustic ... good for a hearty breakfast or a peasant's work-lunch. No, I think unicorns have the best flavor - and of a beauty rare enough to save for the best occasions - especially when you can distill and consume their souls as a dessert."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-18 at 01:19 AM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58

Default Lia Naida

(DC42 Spot check) OR Melinda/GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lia seems to cast a spell including herself and Melinda.

[Sleight of hand (to disguise spellcasting): (1d20+32)[42] (take 10 - mastery)]

29. - Top - End - #59

I guess the gang has caught up again?

Lildorrinene Spot (1d20+24)[44]
    * Spellcraft to recognize spell, if she sees (1d20+13)[30]
    Lok-too-loo-baz Spot (1d20+36)[41]
    * Spellcraft to recognize spell, if he sees (1d20+22)[30]

EDIT: Interesting ... I doubt a 30 on her Spellcraft check fails to recognize the spell that she sees cast.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-18 at 03:21 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Default Lia Naida

Lil
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lia cast Telepathic bond