New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

Spoiler
    Show
    Now Dot's really intrigued. Appalled, sure, sure, but also intrigued. Spellcraft to identify the effect he's using: (1d20+37)[53]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot's lips curl as she completes her magical analysis. She sends telepathically to her colleagues.

"It's...worse than I thought. This isn't a supernatural issue, it's a commercial one. There aren't that many crimes in Sigil, and pimping certainly isn't one of them.

"On the bright side, quietly arranging to discourage a parasite from ever troubling these young women again is also unlikely to draw much attention. He's not registering significant protections. Perhaps a simple application of mind magic, or good old fashioned persuasion, might be enough for him to seek out another line of work. Any volunteers?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #603
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melinda's eyes narrow. "I think we've just run across one of the biggest pimps in this slice of the multiverse...or one with an ego to match," she evaluates. Her head tilts back and forth as she tries to make up her mind about what she should think of this man. Of course, the bardess was deeply unaccustomed to the idea of a man running this sort of business. Sabrina couldn't approve, but neither were they in Daystor anymore. Not to say that a woman couldn't run a more exploitative operation. Melinda'd met plenty who did.

But all the typical power issues were clearly present to excess. He had wealth. He flaunted it in the worst way. She couldn't bring herself not to despise it. Eventually she sits back on her stool, crosses her legs and folds her arms across her chest. "Wow. Just our luck. Whad'ya say, ladies? I think we're not worth our salt if we can't make something better out of this...but I'm blanking on a plan..."
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

4. - Top - End - #604
    Orc in the Playground

Ireth

"Oh my...Well, as far as mind magic and ability to encourage go, I am among the best options I would believe. What flavor of mind magic are we thinking? Simple aversion to any sorts of these behaviors, though that would not last longer than a day, complete domination (which would last for half a month), or if we could convince him to come away for a while..."

The mental missive breaks into a high, wild laugh, and the nymph smiles while looking around the Diamond. "To put it succinctly, this individual offends me on a level of religion, of profession, and of very created nature. I am willing to deal with him, to convince him, but if he will not see reason then there is no reason to him."
    Last edited by Vulaas; 2012-04-05 at 11:10 PM.
    Thanks, Telasi for the spectacular OotSatar!

Currently playing:
    In Debbie D's awesome "The Three Goddesses" game -Ireth, the shyest nymph you'll ever meet, bardic servant of the goddess of love.

5. - Top - End - #605

Melinda seems to look harder at him. "You know, I'll bet that every one of those stones comes from a girl. A girl that he may or may not have let go after she gave one to him." Her brow darkens just a shade, and from the way Melinda's jaw hangs just so slightly apart, everyone at the table knows that she's gone past her threshold.

"Dot - what about his bodyguards?" Melinda ventures. "What are their protections? I've got an idea." She starts digging in her bag, and pulls out one of the dwarven amethysts.

Show Melinda's game plan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After introducing herself to him as a high-class out-of-plane whore, she'll ask him for work. He'll ask what she can do, she'll say, everything. But get her on stage and she'll show him the magic she's really made of. One way or another, she gets herself on stage, possibly with his aid, if he's willing to audition her for work. (One Rushed Diplomacy check.) Fascinate the entire crowd. (One Perform check.) Make the entire crowd love her. (Another Perform check.)

While she's on stage singing, dominate the two bodyguards. (Disguise spell. That's two Perform checks to hide the casting, opposed by Spot. They get two Will saves at DC 28. She'll check her work by commanding them to snap in rhythm.)

Next she'll tell the crowd about who she is and what she does as a priestess of debauchery from some far-off plane. She'll solicit donations for her faith's good works. Aside from being good evangelism to the crowd, its auxiliary purpose is to make his bodyguards feel wretched about their complicitness in their comparatively disgusting business and not resist the ensuing suggestion to make a particularly bloody example of the next man who kicks around a woman in this line of work. (Convert the Unfaithful [Will DC 32, once for each], suggestion[Will 25 if Convert fails, once for each]. At the end of it all she'll cast detect thoughts to check her work.)

Now that she's wowed the crowd, and hopefully wowed the pimp, he's probably willing to consider actually dealing with Melinda. Or if he's not, at least he'll have come to the realization that she's not just going away. She'll make him an offer. To finish off his collection of gems, she'll offer him one of the dwarven amethysts for his entire business, and that he leave the business forevermore, or else. She'll use just enough hypnotic power to make him accept that he is facing a true dilemma but leave the ultimate choice to him. (One Intimidate check. "You've seen my best already tonight. Do you -really- want to see my worst?")

If he accepts, things are neat. She quests him for good measure so he doesn't go back for three weeks. Hopefully he's found something else to do by then. But if as Melinda expects, he declines, (and especially if he does so violently , and slaps her,) then his bodyguards suffer a sudden attack of conscience and spontaneously decide to bludgeon him to death in plain sight.

Sound good?
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-04-06 at 11:56 AM.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth is a meatwall, but she'll follow someone's lead if it comes to blows.

She's kind of worried, though. She's an angel from the upper planes, and understands that each plane is based on philosophies, and Sigil meshes everything. You have demons and whatnot strolling down the same street as celestials, and its only fear of causing a ruckus and getting bitch-slapped by the Lady of Pain that keeps folk from getting too deep in others' affairs.

Well, here we are, and we know we are going to deal with unsavory types, and that's the way it is here. So, if we start to meddle - no matter how much it bothers us and our own beliefs - how far does this go?
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

7. - Top - End - #607
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Tallesin sneers when the pimp is pointed out to him, and telepathically replies. "Whoever this man is, he is no gentleman, though I state the obvious there. Ladies, I trust your skills enough to handle him on your own, but should he need a 'man-to-ugly-peasant' conversation, I am happy to help. Heheh, reminds me of my younger days, throwing the drunks and brawlers out of Zanthia's brothels."

The wizard then grabs one of his prying eyes to receive its report, curious if true sight picks up anything on the man. This is Sigil after all, and though it has its beauties, already the wizard has learned to not take things at face value. As he starts to receive his new information, Tallesin adds, "Still, we must be cautious."
    Last edited by Ason; 2012-04-06 at 06:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #608

Taleira Ulharvyth

I think Melinda's plan should work, but I'll be here if I'm needed. Taleira plants herself in a chair to see how things turn out.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth will engage Taleira in a friendly bout of arm-wrestling. "Go with me on this. It might be arm-wrestling, but we're sure to gain notice while Melinda has time to do her thing."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to double-post, but if I EDIT no body will get an update.

"I'll tell you what," says Atareth loudly and boastfully enough for half the bar to hear. "You think you can take me in an arm-wrestle? You don't have a chance. I'll tell you what, I'll arm-wrestle you on one-arm, and you can choose someone else in here to arm-wrestle me on the other arm."

She looks around. "That's right, folks. Line up your bets for this one ... can I arm-wrestle two people at once? Choose your basher."

She doesn't have to pay or bet a dime, she'll just watch others go nuts with this one. She won't have to lie, and she'll be honest. BTW, if it is towards the end of our stay here in Sigil, does that mean that Taleira and I both have our Strength up by 4? So, 29 (wow, you go gurl) and 38 strength? Ya, awesome.
    Current Games

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, its to the end of your stay and your book effect has taken hold

Atarath has clearly not spent a lot of time in Sigil, or she just really gets the effect she was hoping for; because you simply cant issue an open ended challenge in Sigil and get away with it. At least 3 or 4 people immediately congregate around your table to meet this challenge, and several more are lined up behind to see whats going on...and the wagers are already starting.
    The problem here is between the keyboard and the chair.

Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot responds to all through the link.

"The bodyguards aren't registering anything major, magic-wise. If they're anything other than moderately human bruisers, they're hiding it well. Melinda, If you're going to wow the crowd, and rely on the bodyguards as your backup plan, may I suggest that I, or someone else, each be ready to take hold of them mentally. I admire the elegance and emotional resonance of your plan. Suffice to say that I'll stand ready with a less subtle and more splatter-ish backup.

"And Atareth...good luck. Let us know if you need a hand. Pun most definitely intended."

13. - Top - End - #613
    Colossus in the Playground

"Did somebody tepe mischief?" comes Lildorrinenes thoughts. "Count me in... And I'll see if Lok can't dominate one of them as well."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Edging himself away from the center of attention, Tallesin gingerly taps his cane as he watches the proceedings and casts a protective spell, just in case. "My spells are not up for such subtle methods tonight unfortunately, but should things turn ugly, I'll be waiting en garde."

The Spell
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quickened, Extended, Silenced Shield, using his metamagic rod and PrC abilities
    Last edited by Ason; 2012-04-09 at 11:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #615

Hearing no objections from Dot or Tallesin, "All right. I can't stand this anymore. I'm going for it. Tallesin, if you would be so kind as to keep an eye on my things? I hope not to be long."

The bardess skulks for a bit in the glittering crowd, recalling the behaviors of the women she has seen to choose her angle of approach. But the moment she knows she has entered the man's attention-sphere, the show is on, and Melinda just turns it on...the cool, confident stride, the sway in her hips, the mesmerizing return gaze.

She walks up to the table at which he sits, and lets him appreciate the sight of her pose for a moment. "Hello there, big spender," she finally acknowledges in her sultry alto. Then with a muffled clink her hand meets the table, and the bardess spreads apart two palmed platinum coins like a poker player flourishing her ante. "I'm from out of town, and I'm looking for business. Might I have a moment of your time?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiate the plan. How much detail do you want? I'm inclined to go with less to keep the game going at good pace, so stop me if I've gotten ahead of myself. I'm going to give Melinda one Wisdom check (1d20+9)[10] to not solicit donations in Sigil. She has only the vaguest idea that the Lady of Pain doesn't like deities, but I doubt she appreciates that the sort of hit-and-run evangelism she's about to instinctively do might well get her mazed.

One rushed Diplomacy check to get herself on stage:(1d20+35)[45]
    Two Perform checks: for fascinate and for winning over the crowd: (1d20+41)[45] (1d20+41)[46]
    Three Perform checks to disguise her spellcasting, opposed by Spot at -4 from fascinated targets... : (1d20+41)[61] (1d20+41)[52] (1d20+41)[51]
    and an Intimidate check: (1d20+26)[40]
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-04-11 at 10:01 AM.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, the amount that you did is fine. The only thing that confuses me is the Intimidate check, theres nothing in your plan about an Intimidate check

The pimp seems interested in your offer, and when you ask for his help to get you on stage, he agrees. He sends one of his bodyguards to talk to the manager, and you get your invitation.
    The performance you give is an impressive one (although not the best you've ever had) and its more than enough to win over the crowd. Its also good enough to cover your spell casting and when the guards start snapping their fingers in time with your music, you know you have them dominated.

Next step?

17. - Top - End - #617

Melinda has second thoughts while on stage. Like it or not, the pimp's got connections, otherwise he wouldn't be in business. Uprooting him suddenly isn't going to be a lasting change. On the other hand, showing the girls a way to a better future and sending them a windfall they could use to get there, if they work together? That's something different - that might last. Melinda thinks that's the more responsible thing to do, and she's willing to deal with a despicable person to make it happen.

After finishing her set, Melinda goes back to the pimp and finds herself having a much more civil conversation than she expected to have upon going in to this. She'll ask him if he has a client for her in mind. They'll argue about commission. She'll bargain hard, but surprise him with a concession in the form of granting him a bigger take if he's willing to let the girls manage a common pool of money for themselves, which Melinda will seed out of her take of the evening's earnings.

In the conversational opening which that offer inevitably generates, she'll start pressing (with her typical evangelistic force, of course) her vision of what she feels is a more typical and better-run establishment in this profession. [Convert the Infidels - Will DC 32 to charm both the pimp and his girls into accepting the idea of a gradual transfer of business ownership.] This is as much to cultivate the girls' ambition as it is to make the pimp even consider the idea. (Does any of the girls volunteer herself as a leader to manage this money? Or does Melinda have to suggest one into action?)

If he's swayed, she'll put a geas on him to hold him to his word, and keep him from molesting with their efforts to organize for at least the next few weeks. If not, we're back to one-last-amethyst-and-you-go-out-of-business territory.
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-04-12 at 11:45 AM.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

The pimp (Jonas) has a client in mind for you. However there is no bargaining of commission.

You'll do this one for me. ALL for me. To see if you're worth it, then we'll discuss commission

Jonas laughs at your offer of a common pool of money for the girls. (there isnt one at the table at the moment)

Let the girls manage their own money? How stupid would that be? Those crack whores would blow it up their nose in an instant. I provide at least some stability for them.
    Now are you going to take my most generous offer...or have I been wasting my time...and I dont like having my time wasted

(1d20+15)[23] Intimidate

19. - Top - End - #619

"You don't own me, you know," responds Melinda, thoroughly unimpressed with Jonas' posturing. (+31 Will save vs. a crap Intimidate result? no.) "For the record I don't think you should own them, either, but that's their fight to win, not mine. This is just between me and you." She lets that thread drop with a conversational thud. "Now, I don't know about you, but I'm only in town for one more night, and I aim to make as much money as I can before the sun rises. I'll let you know that the jewelry I'm wearing right now marks me as one of the sixty best lays on my home plane, and if I'm not worth your time, then I don't know who is. If you have clients, then we can go far."

"So. Fifty percent, or I start asking very nicely for more." She leans back, folds her arms, crosses her legs, and lifts her eyes slightly. If he wants to slap her he's going to have to get up out of his seat to do it. "And you really don't want me to do that, because I -always- end up getting what I want when I ask that nicely. Isn't that right, boys?"

His bodyguards just grin. (And I suppose that warrants the Intimidate check I rolled earlier.)

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

One more night? I only work with those I own, and if I own you, you arent going anywhere. Just like those others that I do own...and theres nothing you can do about it.
    And those worthless baubles, how do I know they dont mark you as one of the worst lays on your home plane?
    Now, I'll cut you some slack because you obviously dont know who you are dealing with. Im Jonas, the most powerful entrepreneur of women in Sigil. So get in line with me, or I'll have my boys toss you in some garbage can.
    Last edited by Debbie_D; 2012-04-13 at 02:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Orc in the Playground

"He doesn't seem to be learning quickly. Maybe we can speed his "learning" up a bit? I heard that he is a rather skilled beast, but it really doesn't matter how well trained your dog is if he catches the froth," the nymph communicates through the amulet, with a hint of annoyance threaded in.

With a visible effort, Ireth forces herself to act a calm and signals for a server, preferably a man. "You, boy. I should like a drink and something to eat. Wine so red it could be mistaken for blood, and flowers. Violets, and any particularly exotic ones you may have. I have always been fond of lotuses as well, if you can provide."
    Thanks, Telasi for the spectacular OotSatar!

Currently playing:
    In Debbie D's awesome "The Three Goddesses" game -Ireth, the shyest nymph you'll ever meet, bardic servant of the goddess of love.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot contemplates the moral implications of simply sending the man to any of several possible hells, a destination he's likely to reach within the next decade or two anyway. In the meantime, though, she simply bides her time and keeps an eye out for anyone else in the establishment who were paying more-than-might-be-expected attention to Jonas and Melinda's exchange.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth continues working with Taleira on one arm, and challengers on the other, and watching the hot and heavy petting betting that results. "I hope I'm helping out here," she ruby-speaks.
    Current Games

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vulaas View Post
    "He doesn't seem to be learning quickly. Maybe we can speed his "learning" up a bit? I heard that he is a rather skilled beast, but it really doesn't matter how well trained your dog is if he catches the froth," the nymph communicates through the amulet, with a hint of annoyance threaded in.

With a visible effort, Ireth forces herself to act a calm and signals for a server, preferably a man. "You, boy. I should like a drink and something to eat. Wine so red it could be mistaken for blood, and flowers. Violets, and any particularly exotic ones you may have. I have always been fond of lotuses as well, if you can provide."
    The serving boy runs off, and returns in about 5 minutes, with a wine so blood red you cant tell it from real blood. Its an excellent vintage. He also brings a selection of lotuses, stargazer lilies and some very exotic plants that Ireth cannot identify (but they smell delicious)

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Dot contemplates the moral implications of simply sending the man to any of several possible hells, a destination he's likely to reach within the next decade or two anyway. In the meantime, though, she simply bides her time and keeps an eye out for anyone else in the establishment who were paying more-than-might-be-expected attention to Jonas and Melinda's exchange.
    At the moment, no one is paying any attention to Jonas, as most of them are well aware of the way he operates. (even if they dont approve). As well, the arm wrestling exploits of Atareth draw some attention.

Quote Originally Posted by PSinger View Post
    Atareth continues working with Taleira on one arm, and challengers on the other, and watching the hot and heavy petting betting that results. "I hope I'm helping out here," she ruby-speaks.
    Taleira cannot even hope to compete with Atareth, although she makes it look like she comes close. On her main hand, Atareth has not met her match yet, but some of the more cagey opponents are hanging back, letting the lesser lights tire the deva out.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

As the conversation between Melinda and Jonas continues, a few of his girls drift in, perhaps ready to give him more money, and a couple more guards arrive. Everything seems to still be civil for now, but then, without warning, pandemonium seems to break out.
    One of the guards, perhaps irked by Melinda's tone, slugs her. Two of the guards start pushing and shoving with each other, while Jonas slaps the closest girl. The other two girls screech in rage for this unprovoked attack and jump on Jonas, scratching at him and pulling hair, and the last guard heaves a mug of ale at someone else in the bar. It seems like an old fashioned and slightly cliche bar-room brawl is about to break out.

26. - Top - End - #626

Reeling from the blow, the bardess staggers out of her chair. Yet her resounding voice still manages to rise over the rising cacophony of shrieks and snarls. "No. Stop! Now!" The full force of Melinda's presence falls upon the unfolding bedlam and quenches it like a cold, wet blanket. (Calm emotions. Heightened for good measure. Will DC 30.)

She circles the scene once like a hawk surveying its territory. Then she abruptly turns to the girls surrounding Jonas, doubtlessly trying to strangle him in his own chains. "Ladies, listen," she urges in a voice soft yet firm. "Listen to me. There's nothing for you here, and there never will be. Leave this jewel-encrusted slimeball and you can all come with me to a place where you can keep what you earn." She gives each of the guards a stern look. "And none of you will intervene if you know what's good for you."

"Come on, ladies," she repeats as she begins to leave. "Let's go." She cradles her face. At least for Melinda, this little planar outing was over.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

Surely by now, Taleira has long since being on the other arm. Atareth stands and starts to walk, but realizes she has two people on one arm, and three on the other other. "Oops, sorry," and she lets them go.

"Melinda, what the heck happened! What did you say?"
    Current Games

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Melinda's spell quells the battle, but thats about it.
    The girls all look at her, terrified for what Jonas will do to them.
    You dont understand, we cant leave him. He'd find us, and kill us, you dont know how powerful he is. Besides who would protect us from all the bad clients there are out there?
    Jonas, for his part, merely snarls at you.
    Thats right, I will find them and kill them. Nothing you can do to stop me. Cops have too many other crimes to deal with and too little manpower to deal with it.
    The two guards Melinda managed to dominate dont move to intervene, but the two others do, forming a barrier between Melinda and Jonas.
    You heard the man, Go Now and we wont make any more trouble for you. Keep causing trouble, and you'll have more than you know how to deal with.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot smiles a bit grimly. Ah. Death threats. Perhaps that was her cue. She sends to her colleagues. She continued to visually monitor Jonas and his goons to make sure no new magical protections were popping into play. She sends to her colleagues.

"Melinda, I believe that this man has just attacked you and uttered death threats against you and these women, so we are now safely into the realm of self defense. Would you like to continue your efforts at diplomacy, or may I remove him from existence?"

30. - Top - End - #630

Melinda is a bit relieved to hear Dot's telepathic voice. "I already made a scene," she returns. "Now we just want him dead, and the girls safe, and the establishment clean. We should take our time about that. Let me try to get people out of the way first. That said, I'd really appreciate it if he were dead and couldn't be raised by morning."

"Girls, I may not know how powerful he is," Melinda seethes, "but I know he's powerful enough that he wants to kill you whether or not you decide to come with me, just because you've dared to lay your hands on him. My bet is that he'll also have at least one of you killed before the night is out just to make an example for the rest of you." Her eyebrows narrow as she seeks to find Jonas's gaze past the two bruisers in the way. As she continues circling the pimp, she mentally commands her two bruisers to push as many girls away from him as they can. "Now, if you really want to be that dead girl, you can stay and make it easy on him. Or you can come with me and let me make it as hard as I can." "Which I think is very hard."