New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

Darya dismisses the silly banter with a demonstratively loud snort as she slowly walks up to the horse. She does not want to hear it now. This is her moment, her horse, her part of the mission.
    Name? I do not know the name, I will simply ask. This is supposed to be a partnership for life after all.

She simply stands face to face with the red horse, gently takes its head into her hands and looks into its eyes.
    "I'm Darya. We serve Tishtina. Let's run together from now on."
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Carson Rogan clears his throat as he sees Darya going to the horse.

Is there something special about one of my herd, although not the greatest one I have?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #63

It is Melinda's turn to be puzzled; she'd expected Darya to know her own horse, after all. But Carson's comment sheds a whole new light on the matter. "Oh..." the realization escapes from Melinda's lips. "...Carson, have you considered entering a horse in the Stakes? Or have you been lacking a jockey? 'cause if not, you might consider putting one in now?"

"Tallesin, please confirm one open spot still remains in the Stakes," she telepathizes. "And brief me on the competition, quickly."
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2011-11-19 at 01:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The mage quickly replies, "My lady, you command, I listen. As of an hour ago, there was still an opening. The crowd favorite, one 'Sham,' has about 80% of the wagers according to the bookies, and my personal examination of the horse's workouts this afternoon confirms it as the best by far. Two others, 'Twice a Prince' and 'My Gallant' (beautiful names, those), have about 10% of the bets each, but while even to each other, those horses are nothing compared to Sham. The fourth, 'Private Smiles,' looks beautiful but should be worthless in the actual race. The organizers are hoping for a fifth entrant, but most of the horse breeders are afraid of being humiliated by Sham and are avoiding the race altogether. Thus, they have an opening, and we have an opportunity. Ah! And I see you may have a horse..."

As he chuckles out the last sentence, Tallesin waves a hello from the crest of a hill as he finishes his trek back to the party, with his familiar landing to perch in a nearby tree. Seeing the women engaged with the homeowners, wanting to avoid an unnecessary introduction and slightly tired from his stroll, however, the wizard plops down under his familiar's tree to rest for a moment. He telepathically tells the party, "Beautiful find you made there! I'll wait 'til you've made your farewells and then lead you to our lodging. No sense my saying hello to the locals just to say goodbye." Any who approach him may recognize the tune he hums during his rest as Melinda's second song from the night before: apparently her performance struck him deeply and has stuck with him.
    Last edited by Ason; 2011-11-19 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Spelling

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Carson looks puzzled by Melinda's comment.

Oh, I have jockeys all right, and I have even have a horse or two entered in the preliminaries. But the main stakes race, no, of course not. I have no one that even comes close to Sham, least of all this one.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

6. - Top - End - #66

Darya chuckles as she turns to Carson. "Oh Carson, Tishtina must really love you. You have the house, the horse, it's as if you were our personal treasurer.
    And while you may not call it your most impressive, to me this horse is going to be special indeed, destined to be a valued companion. And I think I might just try..."

She leans forward and as she feels the power welling up inside her she whispers into the horses ear the last of the resonating words.
    "On wings of glory
    Take to the sky!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Darya casts Winged Mount.
    This doesn't only serve as a symbol to Carson, it also confirms the horse to be her mount, since it only works on the Paladin's own mount.
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Darya's spell does not work on the horse, fortunately for her, no one knew what was going to happen, so its not a totally epic fail. Rogan looks to the horse, and then to Darya.

A valued companion? He shrugs Well, I dont see it, but then, Ive been wrong before. Tell you what though, normally a thoroughbred from Belmont would cost you about 500 gold, but since hes never won anything, I'll let you have him for 200. Do we have a deal?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #68

"Well, when dealing with the divine it is always difficult to understand the ways fate leads.", the disconcerted Darya answers half to herself.
    "Do you have a saddle I can borrow, so we can make ourselves acquainted?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

A saddle for the lady Rogan whistles to a stablehand who runs off to the barn to find one.
    Yes, riding him would probably be the best way to get to know him. And so you dont have to keep refering to him as him or horse or whatever, his name is Sword.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2011-11-19 at 12:21 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #70

"His name is-" Darya stares at the man in disbelief. "Carson, you are full of answers you don't even know the questions for. I'm amazed. Were did you get him? Please, tell me all you know about Sword! It might be more important than you would imagine. You are already doing much for us."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Carson rubs his chin in thought.
    Theres not much I can tell you. He was born on this farm, his father was Bold Ruler, and hes three now. When he was born, I thought he had a chance to be winner, he was born pretty big, but he never grew into his size properly, and has lost all the races Ive ever entered him in. In fact, I stopped entering him, he just doesnt have the speed or stamina for it. He doesnt seem to have the competitive drive that marks a thoroughbred champion.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #72

"I see. Well thank you, Carson. I think I will just see for now if Sword can give me further answers himself."

When the stable boy returns, Darya takes the saddle and gears up Sword herself. She takes her time fitting everything, then mounts the stallion and hesitates a moment, getting a feel for the animal and giving her companions time for any remarks before she turns Sword around and lets him fall into a light run.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Colossus in the Playground

LILDORRINENE

"You know," says 'Laelle', "there's a pony named Princess Buttercup down the way. That's a royal name. Perhaps that's your warhorse."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

14. - Top - End - #74

"You know, I've always preferred Swords to Princesses. Swordswomen too, actually."

15. - Top - End - #75

LILDORRINENE

Laelle is mock-shocked. "As if a princess can't also wield a sword. And even if she doesn't do so herself, how many stories have you read wherein the princess spurs swords to action that might otherwise have stayed formant. In fact, that is more of what it is that we're about than swords and swordswomen, isn't it?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Clyde carries Dot outside, where she simply grins at the easy interplay among the others. It was somehow refreshing to remember that not all about this quest was life and death.

Sadly, her mind lead her down other pathways. She smiles at the others and sends a brief telepathic message.

"It would seem our work here is done. 'Call' if you need me. Otherwise, perhaps I'll see you at the track in a few hours?"

Looking a bit startled, Tasha and Zippy come out of the house to join them. The four vanish.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

17. - Top - End - #77

Lildorrinene, on the other hand, wouldn't miss this for the world. She is thoroughly amused at how the stories of paladins getting their warhorses must have obviously been aggrandized to make the 'earning' of such stalwart mounts far more impressive.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-11-19 at 08:22 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78

Taleira Ulharvyth

Tali shakes her head, chuckling lightly. "This is going to be good."
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

19. - Top - End - #79

SamuraiGirl

Watching from his distant vantage point, Tallesin telepathically cheers on Darya as she prepares to take Sword through his paces, "Good form! As one of my teachers said, 'A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse trots in front of you, but a noble companion runs with you.' You two shall be a grand duo indeed!"

20. - Top - End - #80

Lildorrinene telepathizes, "Runs with, huh, Tallesin? Darya, would it help if I hasted myself and pushed?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

"What we're about? Oh dear, even we have those who think highly of themselves and talk big and those who actually go and get things done. And on that note, I'll be off to investigate a potential strand of prophecy, so if you'll excuse me, emissary."

With these words, Darya finally rides off.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

As the group heads back to town, Darya attempts to put Sword through his paces. Unfortunately for her, the process doesnt seem to have much success. Its not that Sword wont respond to her, its just that he does it without a whole lot of enthusiasm or a whole lot of spectacular results. When she calls on him to walk, he walks; when asked to trot, he trots; and when asked to gallop, he gallops, but its not the most inspired gallop she or the others have ever seen. When given a choice, he just stands around and mopes.
    Tallesin, the best horse racing judge here, doesnt even think Sword would be able to beat Private Smiles...and when he thinks about Sham, hes of the opinion that Sham would be around the track twice before Sword did it once.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

23. - Top - End - #83

SamuraiGirl

Chuckling at Lil's joke, Tallesin replies, "Sink me! You've got a wit for the ages. Still, let's see what this new team can do." However, as Darya begins working out Sword, Tallesin's tone changes as he talks during the stroll home, "Lildorrinene, your Excellency, we may need to review your prior suggestion. Have you truly prepared Haste this morning? Ah-ha!"

Telepathically, so as to include Darya in the conversation, the wizard continues, "Darya, my lady, I confess I am relatively ignorant about mounts gifted from above, but were this just a mundane beast, I would be most concerned about its low enthusiasm. It seems as apathetic to the world as a lovesick lad. As it stands, for I see it chose to stop running... again..., Sword couldn't even compete with Private Smiles, the lowest-ranked horse in the current competition. May I be of service to you somehow in the training of this horse? I can't bear to see such a beauty performing at less than the best."
    Last edited by Ason; 2011-11-20 at 11:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Lildorrinene says, "Mr. Tallesin, I prepare haste every morning. As quickly as I get myself into trouble, I like to know I can get out of it as well."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

(DM note) By now, the party would have made their way back to the town area proper.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #86

LILDORRINENE

Lildorrinene tels, "Now that we're in town, has anyone given further thought to how much each would be willing to chip in for a healing wand?? We passed the 'Yes' stage .... and just because Yours Truly is best to use it in battle given everyone's modes, knowing that it is technically party use does not mean that Yours Truly is going to foot the bill because we can't make up our minds.

"A wand of cure critical wounds usually is about 21K gold. With the seven of us, that comes to an even 3K gold for each of us. Those of us with retainers or animals (myself, Dot definitely, and Darya) that use an excess of expenditure on the same during a battle may have to make minor reparations to the party afterwards, per party democracy and as long as judgement is equitable. Those of you who don't have 3K gold now ... I can cover you, but you will owe me later. That pay is expected to be immediately upon receipt of money and replenishment (not upgrade or acuiring new toys), so as not to allow convenient forgetfulness and lingering debts.

"Any questions, or do we want to continue to hem and haw over this?"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Default Lia Naida

Lia nods absently at Lil's suggestion, but the majority of her attention is obviously elsewhere even as she pulls a small diamond from her pouch and places it in Lil's hand as she wanders past.

[Lia gives Lil a diamond worth 3000gp as her 'party share']

Walking up to Darya, and more precisely her horse, Lia places a hand on the creatures flank.

[Cast silent, stilled telepathic bond (Unnoticeable)]
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hello Sword"

Along with the mental speech, Lia sends soothing emotions, subtlely of course.

[Ok. Trying two things here: If the horse is intelligent (>3 int) enough for the telepathic bond to be established, and whether it will speak to her if it is.]

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

@Lia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lia's attempt to establish an empathic link with Sword does not meet with a whole lot of success. She is pretty sure Sword can think, IF it actually chose to...but it just doesnt bother, prefering to mope and wonder where its next meal is coming from.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    [B][SIZE="3"]"A wand of cure critical wounds usually is about 21K gold. With the seven of us, that comes to an even 3K gold for each of us. Those of us with retainers or animals (myself, Dot definitely, and Darya) that use an excess of expenditure on the same during a battle may have to make minor reparations to the party afterwards, per party democracy and as long as judgement is equitable. Those of you who don't have 3K gold now ... I can cover you, but you will owe me later. That pay is expected to be immediately upon receipt of money and replenishment (not upgrade or acuiring new toys), so as not to allow convenient forgetfulness and lingering debts."[/I]
    Dot sends back through the link.

"It had seemed to me that we have several members of our group gifted with healing powers, and even during the relatively intensive combats and such of the gauntlet, they seemed more than up to the task of keeping us well and whole. I also have my own emergency supplies for healing, and I suspect that others may as well - that's how we've survived so long. If you don't mind, I'll exclude myself from your transaction. But there are other more efficient forms of healing that you could buy, just with your own share of the proposed purchase price, if that helps.

And of course, if there are other things that someone feels that we all need to have access to, I'm certainly open to collective purchasing.

I take it from your comments that you've arrived in town."

A farm family of four, dressed in the local style, abruptly appears about a hundred feet away from the group. As they walk forward, Dot's mental voice continues.

"Ah. That's better. You lose so much, communicating telepathically. Body language, facial expression...anyway. I have a suggestion that would let Lil buy her own wand, and give each of us a little more pocket money. I'm assuming that we'll be spending a little time here anyway, overseeing the shaping of the shrine. I'd say we make like good little Sabrinians - which is to say, good devotees of the united Goddess - and make a little cash while we're here. I'd like to bet on Darya and Sword in the race."

The little girl of the farm family smiles broadly as the foursome arrives, turning into the more familiar form of Peridot.

"Who's with me?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

30. - Top - End - #90

"I think it's a fair deal this time, tale these, Lil." Darya says and hands over a few smaller gems worth ~3000gp.

"And before I enter any sort of race with Sword I need him to actually want to win. He's just bored and unmotivated and... say Lil, you do have shapeshifting powers, right? Can you turn into a mare? Maybe that'll get him up.
    Seriously though, since it isn't likely that Tishtina plays a trick on us, there should be a way to unlock Sword's hidden potential. And since he won't tell us maybe we need to go over the prophecies again."