New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses - IC (Thread #2)

Seraciel
    "Yeah, but that depends on how forthcoming Dot will be, and how much she actually knows.

Fu-kun, I hope you don't mind, but I am tired. Don't move lest I tip over..."

She closes her eyes, and her breathing slows. She is probably asleep. Probably.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

Seraciel

"You are more dependent on certain things than you realize, Selena."
    "I don't think I really got your point."
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Firbolg in the Playground

Furude Setsuna

"Ah, senpai..." Setsuna smiles as Sera falls asleep. "Don't worry, I won't move..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dudu View Post
    "I don't think I really got your point."
    "... I think she's fallen asleep. I don't want to tell you something that senpai didn't mean, I guess we'll have to wait until she's awake then, ne?"
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2012-10-30 at 04:24 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Bugbear in the Playground

Taleira Ulharvyth

"And that's why I need to ask these questions. I'm just easily confused, I guess..." Tali plays along with Melinda's subterfuge.

Melinda
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're forgiven. I'm a little bit flattered that you want me that much, actually. You are going to have to trust me if you want to keep me, though. 'Linda, I hope you know you're too special to just throw away. The only way Katarina will take me from you is if she uses magic. I'm hoping she's not ready to do that to get to you. We'll see if I talk to her, I guess.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

@Taleira

Spoiler
    Show
    any time you want to talk...
    The problem here is between the keyboard and the chair.

Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Thanks to Telasi for the custom avatar.

6. - Top - End - #1386

Taleira Ulharvyth

Melinda
    Spoiler
    Show
    Via her own innate telepathy, rather than the necklaces: Aaaand she can apparently hear us.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

7. - Top - End - #1387

Taleira
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ha. That woman. The bardess rolls her eyes, unable to suppress her wry smile. She told me that no one could tap into the necklaces. Well now we know.

Having found Coquika's room, the bardess knocks on the door and makes to enter.

"So. Where-"

The bardess stands in wonder at the illusion of walking halfway across the world in a single doorway. Somewhat instinctively she takes Tali by the hand before she actually crosses the threshold to a lovely memory.

"Where have we gotten? Any new courses of action?"
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2012-10-30 at 07:35 PM.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

8. - Top - End - #1388

Furude Setsuna

As Melinda steps in, Setsuna's half-lidded eyes blink open, and she stares around uncomprehending for a few seconds. Then she gasps and chuckles slightly, still careful not to wake Sera. "Ah, hello Melinda-sama, Taleira-san! Dot-san here was just telling us of the disappearance of Harlan-san and some details about it. We haven't really come with any other than that we need a lot more divination power and that we could ask Glephstein-san about the brass mirror that disappeared with Harlan-san."
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

Coquika
    Coquika has withdrawn from the conversation, pacing across the sandstone to sit in the sand before the silvery statue of Tishtina. Crossing her legs, she watches its form, her cat-like eyes half-lidded.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Content for the moment that the others seemed to have spun off on their own paths - except for Drisae and Atareth, who seemed content to step back from the conversation at the moment - Dot settles further against the base of the tree. Seemingly, unbidden, Tasha and Clyde settle on the ground nearby, watching her, watching the room, while Zippy looms protectively at the door through which they had entered Coquita's sanctuary.

Dot draws a single gleaming bead on a silver chain out of a hidden pocket of her robe.

"C'mon, areshole. Show me where you are."

Taking a deep breath, Dot began to weave her magics.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dot will start with Discern Location, seeking Harlan. If that fails, she'll use a second casting for the mirror. Regardless of whether the above succeed or fail, she'll then switch to a casting Greater Scrying for Harlan. Assuming that she has something on her that's a gift from him, that's a Will DC 38, and in case spell resistance comes into play, caster level check: (1d20+23)[40]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth's been piqued by the whole starmetal discussion. Her knowledge is limited, but enough to have been able to spout what she did before. She does not hide her questions, seeking to come to her Coquika's defense more than accusing her.

"Coquika, is this true? Are you 'addicted?' Or, do you seek starmetal to somehow enhance yout strengths or bolster your weaknesses in the same way that many other casters might do with external items? What happens if we find starmetal? How does it affect you?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Colossus in the Playground

Drisae sees this entire odd group roaming around. Being the kind to lash out when frustrated (in this case, not understanding what everyone else seems to take for granted), she starts with an overly sweet smile but loud enough for all to hear: "I have a question .... just one which touches on a recent subject ...

WHAT THE F*** IS STARMETAL!!!"

After that burst, she returns to the obviously, falsely demure frame and continues in overly 'polite' intonation, "And, pritheee, how does it .... or does it .... figure into what we're doing? Don't we have a next target ... a faith and a high priest? or, are we just looking for a pit stop at the Starmetal Sonic for some corn dogs?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Troll in the Playground

Coquika
    Coquika turns her head to look up at the towering angel. She smiles, then climbs to her feet.
    "You ask instead of assuming! This is what sets you apart from mortal minds."
    She lifts her hand, turning it this way and that to let the green stone catch the starlight.
    "Since you ask, you shall know."
    She lowers her voice before continuing.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Starmetal was a means to an end; with the goddess' inspiration, I used its power to improve myself."
    She gestures down at her own body, and a smile curls her lustrous lips.
    "But I am complete now. I do not take sustenance of any kind; like you, I need no food, no drink, no rest. The divine power of the Goddess is in both of us, and thus we are eternal. I envy you in many ways, Sister."
    There is a pause. And Coquika continues,
    "But to answer you, Starmetal is nothing more to me now than any other stone, and I have no special ability to find it. I acquired it when I needed it, through study, might, sex, or luck. "
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2012-10-31 at 01:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ogre in the Playground

The angel nods to Coquika and then looks to the others. To answer Drisae and to address the others, she says, "Starmetal is a rare metal that falls from the skies. To my limited knowledge on such matters, it is an expensive curio that holds no value outside of itself except to an extremely rare group who have learned its secrets. I don't know if Dot's telescope has other-function, or if the idea of starmetal looking at stars is a beautiful irony.

"The metal enhances a person's physique. A sword enhances a warrior's killing power. A spell enhances a caster's ability to shape the world with her will. My faith and resolve give me strength as well. I am not addicted to that faith, though in my case it is different than for mortals as I am infused with the power of purity, virtue, and compassion. Coquika chose a different path than another wizard. Her form and her powers are not a weakness, but in her uniqueness and individuality among us she is beautiful in a way that can neither compete with, nor be overborne by, the rest of us."
    Last edited by PSinger; 2012-10-31 at 01:43 AM.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

15. - Top - End - #1395

Taleira Ulharvyth

Tali gives Melinda's hand a return squeeze as she crosses into the illusory courtyard, the familiar surroundings eliciting a smile from the amazon. "Hi, Furude-san." She acknowledges the greeting with a wave of her free hand. "It sounds like Dot's been getting you up to date, if you've been talking about Harlan. We just heard about that ourselves."
    Snickett avatar by me.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

Dot's magical weaving begins to form something, but as always before, the images were distorted and full of "static" blocking her; however this time, with her increased power and knowledge gained over the past few months, she is able to "punch" through the blocks.
    The image of Harlan begins to form, however his usual sleek and handsome countenance is worn and frayed, he looks like a man who has spent a great deal of time in captivity. He is currently in a pit of some kind, but as Dot watches, two figures come into view, they haul him out the pit and place him in a jail cell. The figures are mummies, and Dot is pretty sure she can see a lich in the background. It is now obvious why Harlan was never able to free himself, a priest of Sabrina has lesser power over the undead, and his enchantment spells are weakened against creatures with no real minds.
    Now knowing that Harlan is alive, Dot begins to zoom out, to get a better location on him. As she draws back, she sees a tomb complex that he is in, there seem to be altars to Dantilus Telgar (god of death) and Thorbald Volkskraag (god of the mountains). The altars to Dantilus are of better quality, obviously this is a tomb dedicated to him, and Thorbald is probably given space because it might be in mountains, Dot would guess. Her guess is proven correct as she continues to zoom backward in scale, the tomb is in a mountain range.
    There are too many mountain ranges in Daystor to just guess at which one this might be, so Dot continues to widen her search, looking for another landmark. And within moments, she gets one, the city of Terkaton; meaning these must be the Komath mountains, a range that lies to the east of that empire. Now with her co-ordinates settled, she is able to pinpoint the exact entrance to the tomb.
    Abruptly, the link to Harlan is severed, but Dot has the information she needs.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

As the image fades, Dot rests her slight weight against the tree. Although she was among the youngest and, in many ways, least experienced of this company, she suddenly felt very old. All of the terrible thoughts that she'd had - about possible betrayals, plotting, other lovers - and he'd been kidnapped by followers of Telgar and Volkskraag.

"I'm sorry, my love. So so sorry. This ends. Tomorrow."

Her moment of self-recrimination and breast-beating doesn't last. There were many things that Harlan had taught her, but the most important was that despair was an unforgivable luxury. Instead, she reached out to her companions new and old through the ruby link, not particularly caring if she was interrupting sleep and conversations. Her mental voice, as tightly controlled and brisk as ever, betrayed barely a quaver.

"I have found Harlan. He is being held by undead, followers of Dantilus Telgar and Thorbald Volkskraag, in a mountain fortress near Terkaton. In twelve hours, I will leave to free him. You are welcome to join me. I will also be sharing some protective magics here, in about an hour. If you wish to parktake, the better to shield us from the weapons of the undead, be there then."

Dot glances over at Tasha, who starts to experiment with looking like the lich shown in Dot's scrying. Why not? They'd need every advantage they could find. Dot pulls a slender metal-bound book out of her pack, carefully opens it about half-way through, and begins to read.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dot starts to memorize spells into some of her open slots:
    2 x Explosive Runes into level 3.
    Elemental Body into level 7.

Knowledge checks to recognize the lich she saw in her scrying:
    Arcana: (1d20+24)[34]. Religion: (1d20+17)[29]
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2012-10-31 at 11:25 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    .Knowledge checks to recognize the lich she saw in her scrying:
    Arcana: [roll0]. Religion: [roll1]
    Dot does not recognize the lich itself, (seeing as liches tend to avoid publicity, until they launch their inevitable campaign to take over the world) but she does recognize that it is wearing a holy symbol of Telgar.
    Last edited by Debbie_D; 2012-10-31 at 12:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Coquika
    Coquika makes a face of distaste.
    "Tcha, undead. So ugly and so corrupt. I think the Goddess will smile on the dawn that takes them from this world. I shall go make my own preparations. I prepared for today to be more... mundane."
    She smiles and moves to an alcove. Rising, she brings forth a yellowed but obviously magical sheaf of vellum and returns to the central sand pit to sit and read.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Selena, who was making a whistling duet with Oscar (not loud or near Dot enough to disturb her divinations) focus again in the mission.

"You found him, among undeads? What devious beings captured your beloved one? Well, doesn't matter, they made a big mistake."

"C'mon, Oscar. We're going to face some dead guys."

The usual lighthearted vibe of Selena gives place to a more worried one. "Undeads", she thinks. She's used with man and woman, proud, ambitious and foolish who are easily manipulated. But undeads are something entirely else. And this poor Harlan was dragged among them, a priest of the goddess of temptation*, the suffering he must be enduring!

She's also worried about how to effectively she will make her way against such foes who are immune to half of her spells. That's when she looks to Ly'kalia, the mysterious marilith with her 6 sword wielding arms. "That'll do", she thinks. "And glass strike. Yep, that'll do even better" the though bringing a smile to her face.
    Show

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Requiem Macabre Doc

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

Seraciel

Seraciel awakens. Whether or not she was actually asleep is up for debate, but she seems conscious for now.

"A lich is not a problem. Caster tend to fail against me. Regular undead in large numbers however... blows to critical organs and features will be ineffective. Perhaps brute force and wizardry would be a better option for engaging the undead. I will not prepare and mind-affecting illusion for tomorrow. Perhaps I will carry many more dispels instead.

Dot, do you have information on the lich?"

Sera will make a point to be present in the next hour for protective spells.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it would be allowed to make a Know:Religion on the lich from Dot's description, Sera will use her wand of Divine Insight and see what she knows.

(1d20+44)[56]
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot glances up from her spells, closing her eyes briefly to focus on her responses.

"He's in some kind of mountain fortress, heavily protected from divinations, but I think I can get us to the entrance. I didn't really see the lich do much except order some mummies around, so it's hard to know more about him or her."

As others choose to gather, or not, Dot closes her book, and does her best to field questions. Her face is a solemn mask, and it's not too hard to tell that she's holding back her emotioins. She sketches in what she learned from her scrying, and then casts a few long-lasting spells. By the end of the process, she is awash in magic auras, and has taken on a misty, insubstantial appearance.

"Zippy has a knack for some protection magic, in addition to his propensities for killing people. If you stay close and don't mind him touching you, he can give you the ability to fly for a few minutes at a time, and to protect you in an aura of chaos. I mention this, in case it helps our new colleagues decide how best to prepare themselves for tomorrow's fight."

Spoiler
    Show
    Dot can offer 2 people mind blank, 2 people an energy immunity of their choice, and 1 person a superior resistance (+6 resistance to saves). I think all of her other hours-long buffs are personal range. To claim these, just post in the OOC thread.

Long-term buffs on herself:
    Anticipate Teleport, Greater
    Dragonsight
    Ectoplasmic Armour
    Elemental Body
    Energy Immunity (Electricity)
    Energy Immunity (Cold)
    Endure Elements (from wand)
    False Life
    Heart of Air, Earth, Fire and Water
    Mind Blank
    Moment of Prescience
    Superior Resistance

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

Selena is reading her spellbook, looking for fitting spells. Unfortunately, she's specialized in mind affecting spells, which might hamper her usefulness in this endeavor.

"Hey Dot, after we do this mission, could I copy some spells from your spellbook? Specially the 'heart' ones."

Spells in effect:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elemental Body (fire) 16hours
    Overland Flight 16hours
    Moment of Prescience 16hours
    Energy Immunity (acid) 16hours
    Heart of Earth 16hours

Readied Spells:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lvl1: Inhibit/Silent Image/Neverskitter x2/Enlarge Person/Benign Transpositionx2/Grease

Lvl2: Ray of Stupidity/Mirror Image/Glitterdust x2/Fog Cloud x2/Web x2

Lvl3: Suggestion/Invisibility Sphere/Unluck x2/Haste x2/Halt x2

Lvl4: Greater Rebuke/Greater Mirror Image x2/Heart of Earth/Celerity x2/Solid Fog

Lvl5: Hold Monster/Shadow Evocation x2/Overland Flight/Teleport/Prying Eyes/SMA V

Lvl6: Greater Heroism/Permanent Image/Freezing Fog x2/SMA VI

Lvl7: Heightned Greater Heroism/Project Image/Energy Immunity/Glass Strike x2/Elemental Body

Lvl8: Binding/Superior Invisibility/Moment of Prescience/SMA VIII x2
    Last edited by Dudu; 2012-10-31 at 04:57 PM.
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

Seraciel

Seraciel raises an eyebrow at her team mates' spell arrangements.

"I'd like to warn you two that tactical teleportations and Anticipate Teleportation sbould be mutually exclusive."

She then turns to Dot
    Spoiler
    Show

"Moment of Prescience seems like an interesting spell. Would you like to swap spells once I have the chance to acquire more spell scribing materials?"

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot smiles at Seraciel and Selena. The smile didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Women after my own heart. I'm sure we can find mutually advantageous arrangements after we get back."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2012-10-31 at 05:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1406

Furude Setsuna

Setsuna tilts her head towards Sera with a small smile and pipes up, "Actually, the Anticipate Teleport line doesn't force all teleportations to be delayed; they just can be."

She takes in a breath and looks up. "A lich, hm? I can think of a few ways to take it out. Perhaps with an anchor-bind-disintegrate combo? Or maybe we could..." she trails off into incoherent mumblings, presumably about destroying said lich.

With a curious looks, she turns to Dot. "You said the place was defended from divinations. Could you be a little more specific? Are the surrounding mountains likewise protected? If not, I might be able to see if they have any outer defenses..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spells That Will Be Cast When We Set Forth: (shared with familiar)
    Energy Immunity (fire, cold): 24 hrs
    Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability (dimensional anchor, dispel magic, glitterdust, solid fog): 18 hrs
    Mage Armor: 18 hrs
    Mindblank: 24 hrs
    Moment of Prescience: 18 hrs
    Resist Energy (electricity, acid, sonic): 18 hrs
    Superior Resistance: 24 hrs
    Undetectable Alignment: 24 hrs
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2012-10-31 at 05:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

Seraciel

"I was planning to Anchor it, but I could trap it in an Antimagic Field for much greater effect. I'll bring both, just in case. It might be better for someone else to have an Anchor ready, since I can dispel its defenses directly beforehand.

Keep in mind it might be better to allow the lich to abandon its forces and leave Harlan behind. A powerful caster might be to much of a nuisance to handle directly.

And if it foolishly chooses to stay... well, let's just say that a Maw or two should be sufficient."

28. - Top - End - #1408

Furude Setsuna

Setsuna looks to the side in slight embarrassment and sighs. "Haa... you already have the Maw spell? I'm... still learning the final tier of magic..."

She glances back up, continuing. "But if we let it go, it will be even more dangerous the next time we meet it. It'll know our tactics, and will have prepared from them. Wouldn't it better to take it out now?

Anyway, my plan was just to Anchor it, then bind it with Bands of Steel, then Disintegrate it until it's gone."

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

Seraciel

"Keep practicing, they will serve you well once you master them.

Destroying it would be futile. It would just return with it's phylactery. Either way it would know our tactics. It I use AMF, however, I could keep it captured until we locate and destroy it's phylactery."

30. - Top - End - #1410

Furude Setsuna

"Ah..." Setsuna freezes, then drops her head, chuckling ruefully. "Can't believe I forgot about the phylactery... It's been so long since I've done any strategic planning..."

Stretching, she grins. "We could always try to find it's phylactery beforehand and destroy it. Of course, that's only if we can. Otherwise, I think your plan should work fine, if we can have a way to keep it rather immobile during the time it takes us to find its little soul box."