New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doctor who?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default doctor who?

so, my friends really like the doctor who show. i've been avoiding it for quite some time but i finally decided to watch the first episode tonight. and quite frankly, i was horrified.

maybe it was just bad because it was the first episode, but . . . mannequins come to life and start shooting people from their wrists? the bad guy is done in with "anti-plastic"? what?

i know that a lot of people enjoy this show and perhaps it gets better. i certainly don't see how it can get any worse. so should i keep watching it, or just kill myself so i don't have to tell my friends their favorite show is retarded?

[and i know there is a doctor who thread, i didn't want to read a spoilers thread]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: doctor who?

It gets much much better. However, there is still quite a lot of narmy sci fi and the special effects have not aged well.

Suggestion: start from season 5 (it is a soft reboot, the show works like that) And go from there, if you enjoy it go back and do seasons 1-4 as there are some absolute gems in the mix.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope it can get worse. "Fear Her" and "Love and Monsters" are both definitely worse.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post
    Nope it can get worse. "Fear Her" and "Love and Monsters" are both definitely worse.
    Whereas "The Empty Child" "The Doctor Dances" "The Impossible Planet" "The Satan Pit" "Human Nature" "Family of Blood" and "Blink" are all incredible pieces of television. And that is just to name a few.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by nihil8r View Post
    so, my friends really like the doctor who show. i've been avoiding it for quite some time but i finally decided to watch the first episode tonight. and quite frankly, i was horrified.

maybe it was just bad because it was the first episode, but . . . mannequins come to life and start shooting people from their wrists? the bad guy is done in with "anti-plastic"? what?

i know that a lot of people enjoy this show and perhaps it gets better. i certainly don't see how it can get any worse. so should i keep watching it, or just kill myself so i don't have to tell my friends their favorite show is retarded?

[and i know there is a doctor who thread, i didn't want to read a spoilers thread]
    That episode was a homage to an episode of Doctor Who from the 70s. Plus it is pretty scary the idea that plastic can come to life.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Always thought that the autons were a strange choice to start the reboot with, as although they are technically "classic" monsters, they're hardly the most recognisable.

However, generally the central premise of any Doctor Who story is pretty stupid if you analyse it too much. The fun lies in the interplay on the way (much like Buffy before it got really gloomy). Also, listen to Xonduore; there are some episodes which are really good piece of TV in any money.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

If you can't handle living plastic and anti-plastic, then Dr Who is probably not for you. It's about the softest sci-fi imaginable, and revels in that fact. It's a show where aliens are giant salt and pepper shakers that shout "Exterminate", lizard people who live at Earth's core, and the outcomes are often: Doctor does something ridiculous and waves it away with big sciency sounding words, or the power of narm.

That said, the characters are fun and interesting, and the show sets up engaging little stories that tend to fall apart if you know a thing about science. Now I love the show because I don't really care that they play fast and loose with the laws of physics. I just want to be entertained, and the show does that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

keep in mind the age bracket of the target audience...it has depth beyond that, but the plot items are still aiming to make little boys hide behind the sofa (which may be out of fashion and unrealistic nowadays, but is still a noble achievement to strife for )
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Doctor does something ridiculous and waves it away with big sciency sounding words, or the power of narm.
    Which is what turned me away from the show eventually.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

[....]It's a show where aliens are giant salt and pepper shakers that shout "Exterminate", lizard people who live at Earth's core[...]
    Dude, spoilers!

But yah, what many people said... you need a special taste and a great suspension of disbelief to really enjoy Who. But if you have it, it will give you some of the best moment of your life.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

It's a show where aliens are giant salt and pepper shakers that shout "Exterminate", lizard people who live at Earth's core, and the outcomes are often: Doctor does something ridiculous and waves it away with big sciency sounding words, or the power of narm.
    Except some of the episodes where the Doctor doesn't save the day are the most dramatic and emotional in the entire series.

In addition, the salt and pepper shakers bring out the worst in the Doctor - you only have to take a look at Nine's almost rabid rant the first time you see them in the reboot.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Except some of the episodes where the Doctor doesn't save the day are the most dramatic and emotional in the entire series.

In addition, the salt and pepper shakers bring out the worst in the Doctor - you only have to take a look at Nine's almost rabid rant the first time you see them in the reboot.
    Well you can't really blame him considering everything. Time lords are pretty darn allergic to the things.

Anyway OP, I agree that the choice of villain/monster in the first episode isn't the best since they come off as pretty stupid if you don't know anything about Doctor Who (and they do even if I know your Who, it's just easier to appreciate them as classics...) and the first season in general has some cheap looking effects. It does get much better though and there are some really good episodes in there, and once you get to season 2 the effects do look much better (bigger budget then. :p). But if you want a serious sci-fi Doctor Who is not for you. It's more of a silly adventure show made to make you laugh or cry or sometimes hide behind the couch (and there are some episodes that will trigger that urge even in adults...) but it does expect you to accept that the laws of physics can be broken when they need to be broken. Actually this quote sums up the show pretty well. "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." If you're not okay with it, well you might still enjoy the occasional, more serious episode but you'll probably not like it on the whole.

Still you can always try to jump forward to season 5 and go from there it has a pretty different feel from there and it might be more to your taste.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Dude, spoilers!
    Yes. From 42 years ago. There's a statute of limitations on this stuff!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalsneerg View Post
    Yes. From 42 years ago. There's a statute of limitations on this stuff!
    Actually, yeah, but then I think, after a certain age, the statue goes back up. I wouldn't have a problem openly discussing the Spoilers in Sixth Sense or Fight Club, but might be a little shy in discussing Psycho in any real detail. Or even the Crying Game.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

It's okay not to like Doctor Who. It really isn't a big deal.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would start off with Season 2, personally. David Tennet is an amazing Doctor, and a lot of people loved him. Like others have said, the special effects are rather cheesy at times, but there are really good moments in it. I would give it another go, as it only gets better. The characters are lovable, and you rather get connected to them, and there are several fantastic episodes, as mentioned above.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

Marcus Fenix avatar by Me!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindartis View Post
    I would start off with Season 2, personally. David Tennet is an amazing Doctor, and a lot of people loved him. Like others have said, the special effects are rather cheesy at times, but there are really good moments in it. I would give it another go, as it only gets better. The characters are lovable, and you rather get connected to them, and there are several fantastic episodes, as mentioned above.
    The problem with that is you are thrown into the middle of plots involving Rose/Mickey/her Mom that you won't understand if you didn't watch the first season. I think starting with the beginning of the 5th season is the way to go, as mentioned above it's a 'soft' reboot so it's easy to jump into and demonstrates the jump in production value, writing quality and supporting actor ability in the later seasons.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post

Hey I love the show. One of my favorites currently going, so no need to try and sell me that those lizards and shakers are great. However the OP's main points of contention seemed to be 1) the scenario is ridiculous, and 2) the resolution was illogical/failed science. He didn't mention if he liked the characters, or the if he got caught up in mystery aspects of the episode. Well, off the wall situations and terrible science is Dr Who. The show bleeds them. It also bleeds excellent writing, memorable characterization, and fun.

And if he thought the show could not get any worse from that point, well then he probably shouldn't go on, because personally I thought that episode was about par. I greatly enjoyed it, hell, I think it's quite possibly the best episode of Rose (not the best episode to feature her, but she was at her best). But I may be biased because I do not like Rose.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Hey I love the show. One of my favorites currently going, so no need to try and sell me that those lizards and shakers are great. However the OP's main points of contention seemed to be 1) the scenario is ridiculous, and 2) the resolution was illogical/failed science. He didn't mention if he liked the characters, or the if he got caught up in mystery aspects of the episode. Well, off the wall situations and terrible science is Dr Who. The show bleeds them. It also bleeds excellent writing, memorable characterization, and fun.
    Basically this. The whole point of the show is to be cheesy soft science fiction with a dashing hero (though the drama gets quite intense at times). If you don't like the ridiculous picaresque stuff, try repeating the MST3k mantra: "it's just a show, I really should relax."

If that doesn't work, you're free not to watch it. But a lot of it isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's actually quite refreshing not to be overanalysing a show for once.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I for one was ready to turn it off after the first episode, having no idea what the show was about other than a glowing review from a friend, yet persisted because I was bored and now find great enjoyment in it.

In fact, going back that episode is a lot better than I remember it, but it is a terrible introduction to the series and fails to speak of the shows true quality unless you're already familiar with that quality.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

When I first started in, at episode 1, ssn 1, of the reboot, it didn't take me long to come to this conclusion: Everything that happens on this show will be completely absurd. Once you've taken that as a given, you can start taking all the weird stuff in stride, and it becomes much more enjoyable.
    Fiberoptic Elflord avatar by Guest#1!

"It's like we fell down the rabbit hole and ended up in Stephen King's basement..."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Give the second episope a chance. It much more highlights what the show is about.

Which is that an immortal alien who behaves and looks remarkably like an English gentleman travels through time and space in a blue phone box to go sightseeing at some of the most ridiculous places ever invented by TV writers. And battle aliens on the way.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I'd only suggest starting with season 5 if you're in a time crunch to catch up in order to watch the newest episodes. This isn't just because I find season 5 to be the weakest season as a whole, but on principle that "Blink" should be watched before "Time of the Angels"/"Flesh and Stone" and "Dalek" should be watched before any Dalek centered epsiode.

Other than that, I agree with the prevailing opinion of the thread, that the not-so-serious tone of Doctor Who is just something you like or not.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

ElfPirate

When I got someone into Doctor Who recently. I did by telling them to check out the first 2 episodes of season 5. And if she liked it she could go start at season 1 of new Who. And it worked well enough, last I heard she was halfway trough season 3

Because those 2 episodes are just really good in my opinion.
    You got the doctor shining in 11th hour, and his companion in the second.
    I could have told her to check out the bridging mini-sode between e1 and e2 but I forgot.

So if you want to give it an other chance I suggest you try this.
    Watch 11th hour then the mini-sode and then beast below. If you still don't like it Then Doctor who is just not for you.
    Last edited by qbit; 2012-03-22 at 12:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I would recommend starting with I think it is season 2. David Tennant was a great Doctor and I liked Billie Piper as his kind of sidekick.
    Last edited by Dobbette; 2012-03-30 at 08:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

thanks for the super replies, everyone! i watched the second episode and it was better, still not great, but better. i think i'll try to watch season 5 then go back to season 1?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

thanks for the super replies, everyone! i watched the second episode and it was better, still not great, but better. i think i'll try to watch season 5 then go back to season 1?
    Yeah... but be prepared the general tone is cheesy, that's how it is. Also, if you're considering, I'd advise against watching season 2 first. It just doesn't work well without the first. Watching season 5 without Blink and/or Forest of the Dead is still a bit difficult, I guess... You CAN do it but watching in order is jjust the best way to do it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

ElfPirate

You're right, which is why I suggested he only watched the first 2 of season 5. and then go back to where he was. If he enjoyed them.

Because while they aren't the absolute top episodes, they are definitely top half. And because it's a soft reboot you get explained some things about the universe.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

hurray!

i watched the first 3 eps of season 5. the first two were fine, the third was a letdown. i always thought daleks were hilarious so i had high hopes for the episode, but by the time airplanes were flying through space after only a few minutes of "upgrades" . . . anyway i didn't want to watch the angels episode without seeing the first one, so i went back to season 1. the ghost episode was great! the farting alien invasion monsters were fine. not great but entertaining enough. and then dalek episode was great! so i guess the show is actually fine, it's just that the first episode was so atrocious it sent me running to the forum in shock.

i mean, it's not like other shows don't have A+ episodes as well as F- episodes (i'm thinking of st:tng in particular here)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

i mean, it's not like other shows don't have A+ episodes as well as F- episodes (i'm thinking of st:tng in particular here)
    Apt comparison, especially when you remember TNG started with "Encounter at Farpoint," and that season 1 had some of the worst stinkers of the series. :P It's the kind of thing you just muscle through.

Just wait until you get to Who's series 1 finale ;) That's a treat.
    Last edited by VeliciaL; 2012-03-24 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Quote fix
    LGBTAitP

"You can't just go around opting out of critical analysis by preemptively declaring yourself pointless."

- Mordecai, Lackadaisy Cats