New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Battle Royale III: Frenemy mine.

Please block dragon ball movies. They're non canon and they're silly, which makes it impossible to accurately gauge the power of characters in them. Up to frieza would certainly be better, but they'd still run around beating everyone except superman-like characters in terms of raw strength. Early dragon ball (non-z) is a bunch of people running around faster than the eye can see and getting knocked through metres of concrete... but it's still more or less measurable. Everything from saiyan saga onwards is just power scaling really, and the lack of meaningful feats will have everyone arguing over how strong they are with no real conclusion.

Perhaps a meaningful general power boundary is: able to destroy a planet or withstand an attack capable of destroying a planet?

@metroid win: Pushing doomsday away is not incapacitating him. At the best that would be a draw. What, after all, is the difference between that and just running away?

DC should either be cut out, or kept so long as characters chosen comply with the limits that I hope will appear :p

I also have a question. When it comes to nominations, are we supposed to choose the strongest characters from the universe?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Heat leads to fire. I'm sure she can figure something out.
    She doesn't exactly have the time to figure something out. She doesn't go into the fight knowing that J'onn has a fire weakness, her heat beam is ineffective and J'onn is very very quick and able to phase around things.

So maybe given the element of surprise and a briefing as to his weakness Samus could cause problems for J'onn. Going into the fight without that though, she is going to be smeared when her hyper charge beam and super missiles fail to work, her light and dark beams prove ineffective, her bombs and speed boosts and ice beam and heat beam and grapple all do nothing. By which point J'onn has long since defeated her before she moves on to trying out fire specifically.

So what's a good assumuption?
    Generic sci-fi universe:everything has self-destruct systems and/or poorly protected air vents to the main reactors.
    DC-universe: you can't take two steps whitout tripping into some ancient or high-tec device fromsome lunatic hellbent in destroying the planet. Heck, it's cannon that in the future DC Earth just exploded from all the dangerous stuff they stockpiled over the centuries!
    My default assumption for a match is some sort of arena combat in a neutral location. No convenient "Destroy Planet" buttons anywhere. Just like in a boxing match or a gladiatorial combat or paintball nobody goes in with a thermonuclear weapon strapped to their inner thigh.

Hmm, what would it count if Dark Samus can corrupt Doomsday with phazon overload? That thing has taken over races, planets, machines, computer programs, you name it.
    I'd say that counts as something of a joint victory. But I'm fairly sure Doomsday would adapt out of Phazon corruption pretty easily, so it wouldn't come up.

Pretty sure that any organization around would be pretty happy with a deal to get rid of Doomsday forever.
    But is there a convenient interstellar space empire?

Long story shot, I think you're pretty clearly playing a bit fast and loose with the settings in order to try and justify a Metroid victory. And I think you probably know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat
    I also have a question. When it comes to nominations, are we supposed to choose the strongest characters from the universe?
    Not necessarily. Just try to pick someone worthwhile. A Green Lantern would be a decent enough choice for DC. Oracle on the other hand, wouldn't.

In this tourney we had a fair few people nominated who were just poor choices as representatives of the universe. Giles, Mr White, Creed and Mr Rictus were all just vastly out gunned. Even within their own universe they aren't anything special as a combatant, with their main distinction revolving around out of combat things. This is a contest for fighters, not support staff, researchers, or generals.

It's not a hunt for the literal most powerful being from a mythos. Just nominate someone you think would be fun to debate over. That's the important thing. If you end up nominating somebody you're unwilling to explain and champion then the nomination probably isn't a good one.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    She doesn't exactly have the time to figure something out. She doesn't go into the fight knowing that J'onn has a fire weakness, her heat beam is ineffective and J'onn is very very quick and able to phase around things.

So maybe given the element of surprise and a briefing as to his weakness Samus could cause problems for J'onn. Going into the fight without that though, she is going to be smeared when her hyper charge beam and super missiles fail to work, her light and dark beams prove ineffective, her bombs and speed boosts and ice beam and heat beam and grapple all do nothing. By which point J'onn has long since defeated her before she moves on to trying out fire specifically.

She does have a scanner. One that generally reveals weaknesses.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Martian Manhunter and Doomsday
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Well, In that case Samus does a heat based attack, and its not like other villians hasnt taken John before with less, though it did require him carrying around a idiot ball the size of a small moon.

Still, John at the same time has his Martian gaze attack, something that packs enough punch to slap Superman around, and at least annoy him, meaning it would crush Samus and her suit like a empty beer can.

Then its suddenly a game of rocket tag, MM at his strongest can move at light speed, how fast can Samus move
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

She does have a scanner. One that generally reveals weaknesses.
    Eh. Convince me with examples.

I don't remember things like Ice Beam weakness being flagged up, and this is something even more complicated.
    Spoiler
    Show

It would take more data than that to make a fire attack a logical conclusion.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

If Doomsday was pushed towards a star, how would he escape its gravity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Eh. Convince me with examples.

I don't remember things like Ice Beam weakness being flagged up, and this is something even more complicated.
    Spoiler
    Show

It would take more data than that to make a fire attack a logical conclusion.
    *scans a ghost*
    Aberration: Chozo Ghost. Spectral entity. Bioelectric field invulnerable to natural energies.
    As these entities phase in and out of existence, the only way to track them accurately is with x-ray scanning. This partially phased nature makes them invulnerable to natural energy types, such as fire, ice, and electricity. Their aggressive and erratic behavior is most likely due to the corrupting effects of Phazon in the Tallon IV environment. They appear to be drawn to Chozo religious sites, where they wreak havoc upon anything that dares enter the area.
    *scans Dark Samus before she attacks*
    Morphology: Dark Samus. Phazon-powered entity. Powerful distance attacks. Phazon energy shield repels all weapons. Wait until it is down to attack. Avoid close contact with target.
    Scans indicate the presence of Phazon and your genetic material within this entity. She wears a version of the Varia Suit, altered and augmented by the Phazon within her. Primary weapons include the Missile Launcher and a scattershot version of the Power Beam. Boost and Jump abilities are superior to yours. The ability to generate Phazon energy shields is also present.
    *scans a Luminoth who's standing still and doing nothing*
    Subject is U-Mos, a Sentinel of the Luminoth. Scans indicate numerous beneficial abilities, including heightened reflexes, durability, psionics, and flight. Ability to generate and manipulate energy on par with that of the Chozo. Dating scans suggest an age of 2.15 centicycles. Only known active member of the species; remaining Luminoth locked in protective stasis until crisis is resolved.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-01-16 at 08:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Not that my vote it matters much at this point, but DC wins without breaking a sweat. Impressive run for Team Metroid, though.
    Thanks to lindorm for the cat avatar!

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Ice beam weakness is stated for metroids in metroid prime I believe. Ok, she encountered them before, but with any boss fight that is invincible to everything except one attack, that attack is always pretty much put out there in red letters (sometimes literally).

Not that it matters, because MM will still obliterate her even with a weakness.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

A vote for team metroid, just because I feel like being contrary.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

11. - Top - End - #491
    Banned

Daemon

DC wins with a score of 6-3!

Good stuff. Battle Royale is taking a break. New list published next weekend. Don't try adding any new universes (although I am putting Elder Scrolls in there due to the hit that was Skyrim.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

>.>

<.<

I missed it.

BUT I NEVER SHALL AGAIN!

Subscribed.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII