Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 1473

Thread: Machines of War

  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    All is normal. You see deer bedded down on the opposite slope, but by the starlight all else is quiet.

    DM notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    In about half an hour the assassins will be at the mayor's house.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Look and listen all around now too, especially for humans.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Should i get a bonus because of humans favored enemy status?
    Without the +2 bonus
    Listen
    (1d20+3)[20]
    spot
    (1d20+4)[5]

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    MS - (1d20+11)[26]MS - (1d20+10)[21] Doesn't include range penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Whether you get the bonus or not I can't tell you, but if the things were human you would get the bonus. But it isn't good enough. You still see and hear nothing out of the ordinary for a very dark night.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Wait for something to happen, but stay alert.

  6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM notes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vicciano makes it to the village, drinks his potion of eagle's splendor, and attempts UMD - (1d20+12)[25] to use his scroll of dominate person on the mayor. The mayor gets a will save (1d20+4)[6]. If Vicciano succeeds and the mayor's save fails, Vicciano will suggest that he must take matters into his own hands to protect his town, and that they should mount an attack on Oldshire. If he fails, they will plant the forged letter from the Count at his home, and assassinate the Captain at the border fort. But they might do that anyway. I wish I had better notes.

    Edit: the UMD barely succeeds, and the will save miserably fails.


    Your hear a mournful horn sound from the direction of Bushton, carrying over the early morning fog. The lieutenant perks up, and motions for the men to follow him. They turn and head back the direction you came.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-01-10 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    With the lieutenants permission I will be on point again. Keep my longbow ready. Also, ask him what the horn means. The Two-Edged Sentinels used whistles.

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Oh, we're being called back to the barracks. Either they caught the assassins in the village or are calling off the wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Jaster goes back with them then. He doesn't like it though. He is positive something will happen soon.

  10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    When you arrive in town, the soldiers are assembling in the predawn light on the town green. The captain of the guard stands before them.

    As some of you know, last night agents of Smirnoff murdered our guards at the border. Thanks to Jaster we had advance warning, and a show of force by our militia prevented any direct attack.

    He turns down the line of soldiers, pacing slowly.

    But Mayor Lundgreen is certain that we can no longer wait for destruction. We move now to show Smirnoff they cannot violate our sovereignty and they cannot trespass on our land. Mayor Lundgreen has ordered a raid on Oldshire before the sun rises. We'll be back here by suppertime lads! Move out!

    The troops, about fifty men strong, swordsman, pikemen, and archers, about face and nervously march up the road. The horn sounds long and low while women and children peak out of dark windows.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-01-10 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    I thought I was in Bushton. Did you mean Oldshire, the town I was in two pages back? They are probably going to Oldshire, which Jaster has a prior commitment to Captain Kairn in. Grab the horse and go with them at a slightly faster pace until I am in front enough to make a break for it and let Captain Kairn know what is going on. See if I can spot something on the way to light on fire to delay them, maybe the road block that got knocked out last night. What kind and how many structures did it have?

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Yes, Oldshire, thanks for catching that. In the noise of departure you slip unnoticed to the head of the column and are safely away. The roadblock was just a tent for the guards and a low wooden barricade that is easily avoided. The two guards you saw murdered are still where they dropped; it appears their companions have slept in. Other than the whole forest there really isn't much to burn (as a ranger, you probably wouldn't torch the forest). But you should be able to get there about half an hour ahead of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #433
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    With that half hour there is no reason to delay them with a fire, which would have been a better idea on something in the town just before the troops moved out as a delay. Anyway, let Captain Kairn know that in response to what I reported (tell him the report of the dead guards and the ambush) they are coming because they think Smirnoff did it and Oldshire is the nearest target.

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    As you ride up to the camp, Captain Kairn is out doing a morning inspection of his troops. He gives you the eye, and without allowing you to catch your breath, he orders Report!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #435
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Bushton had some trouble last night. I was assigned to observe the actions of the guards on the roadblock they have. They had some guards at a roadblock killed, presumably by the same horsemen that rode past them. I warned the mayor of the riders and went back to see if I could intercept the riders. I was then ambushed by at least three unknowns and rode back. The militia waited all night, but no attack came. They think it was Smirnof aggression and have a group of about 50 coming this way right now to attack you.

  16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Kairn nods gravely, and snaps into action.

    Sergeant! Take a detachment to defend the Bushton road. Lieutenant, take two platoons and warn the townsfolk to hole up in the cathedral. Gorillas! To me! If they want a fight, they'll get one!

    The men spring into action, a hundred men in ranks with arms march to take up positions along the road. Twenty march in the direction of Oldshire. Kairn and a group of surly, scarred, and tattooed warriors with various arms sprint fiercely up the road, leaving you to do as you please.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #437
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    If they want to fight this bad, fine. I tried to stop a massacre, but it looks like it will develop into a war instead. By this time nobody will believe me if I told them there were outside forces that are trying to get them to fight, and I don't think they would care anyway. Follow them and watch the battle and see if there is anybody else that shows up to watch. Once I get there, hide and watch the surroundings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    hide
    (1d20+14)[24]
    spot
    (1d20+4)[24]

  18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    As you catch up to Kairn and his gorillas (not a misspelling, that is what he calls his elite berserkers), they are slowing down, forming a V in the road facing off in a narrow section of the road just after a bend. Not even panting from the two mile sprint, they wait for the oncoming troops and their own backup, weapons drawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #439
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Put my horse somewhere and then patrol the surrounding woods for any visitors. See if there is anybody else observing the party. Do this by moving through the woods hiding and moving silently. When/if it starts that should provide cover noise. Be very careful on my looking around. Take 10 on my move silently and hide checks. 20 on my spots.
    results in 24 hide, 19 move silently, 24 on my spot.

  20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Not sure that spot is a skill you can generally take twenty in, but in this case I'll allow it. but let's see...

    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    nothing here, just blowing smoke. Except I should note that the half orc is in the village wreaking as much havoc as he can.


    You don't notice anyone skulking in the brush. You hear the troops approaching from both directions. A horn sounds.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-01-12 at 11:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #441
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Wait and see what happens. Keep scanning the bushes, and watch behind the Bushton guys too.
    spot
    (1d20+4)[9]

  22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    The Captain of the Guard of Bushton, mounted on horseback, rides at the head of a decidedly unenthusiastic double column of soldiers. In the rear of the column rides Mayor Lundgreen. About twenty yards away from Kairn and the gorillas the Captain calls a halt. Behind Kairn approach the hundred fit, healthy, and well disciplined Smirnoffian troops. They halt just behind Kairn. Profound silence envelopes the little valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #443
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Make sure there is nobody on this side of the road, then cross is behind the Bushies and check the forest on the other side.

  24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jaster should get a sense motive check against the mayor to sense the enchantement. Sense motive - (1d20+9)[20] DC 15.
    wait
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    As you are crossing the road behind the Bushtonians, you are able to get a good look at the mayor. He seems stiff, and without considering the odds against him or the implications of his actions is about to order his men and himself to their deaths. Something is wrong; he is not himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #446
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    There is something wrong, but I don't know what. Jasters guess is that he has been charmed.or dominated. He is intent, but his men are not. Make an attempt to see who is controlling him. First the men with him, if one is acting a little different, then the forest I haven't checked. Plan B is to startle his horse and get the horse to run off with him, preferably back home.
    Spot men
    (1d20+4)[8]
    spot forest
    (1d20+4)[22]

  27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vicciano of course, is nowhere nearby.


    You don't see anyone acting strangely, except the mayor.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-01-14 at 01:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #448
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    For the first time in his life Jaster wishes he were a druid and could simply talk to the horse. But wishing produces nothing, so he does the next best thing, which is try to startle the horse. Throw an alchemists fire close to the horse, but not enough to hurt the mayor or any of his troops. When it hits the ground and burts into flame give out the most blood curdling scream I can. Should I bee getting a bonus from handle animal to scaring the horse?
    throw fire
    (1d20+6)[14]
    handle animal
    (1d20+3)[8]

  29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    The horse rears on its hind legs. Alerted to your presence, the archers in the rear of the formation turn to face you.

    Roll initiative.

    Mayor needs a handle animal of DC 17 to calm horse. If he fails by five or more he will fall off. (1d20+3)[14]

    Edit: that check should have been made at -2 modifier, so the mayor falls on his butt.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-01-14 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #450
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Initiative
    (1d20+4)[17]
    How far am I from the mayor?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •