Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1473

Thread: Machines of War

  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Your arrow firmly plants itself in the hobgoblin's chest. Thinking it awful strange that an arrow should be growing in his chest, he gives a shout to his comrades.

    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    listen - (1d20+2)[20]listen - (1d20+2)[15]listen - (1d20+2)[21]listen - (1d20+2)[6]


    The hobgoblins in the camp see their comrade fall to his knees.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2011-11-23 at 05:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Finish him off. As soon as the second arrow hits I will go for the secret entrance back the way I came, retracing my steps to J3 and then crawling to the entrance. Doesn't sound like they have started moving yet.
    (1d20+7)[24]
    (1d8+1)[7]

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    I should have had you roll initiative. Oh well. As your second arrow flies home, and the hobgoblin meets his maker, the four hobgoblins at the camp split up. They're two come towards you directly, with weapons drawn, and the others circle around the tree the other way.

    Now roll initiative.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2011-11-23 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Keep moving silently towards the entrance. If I can get there I might be able to hide inside. If I can't hide I can use the passage to fight them one at a time.
    (1d20+9)[13]

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Roll initiative and make a hide check.

    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 - (1d20+1)[6]
    2 - (1d20+1)[20]
    3 - (1d20+1)[14]
    4 - (1d20+1)[6]
    5 - (1d20+1)[6]
    spot1 - (1d20+2)[6]
    spot2 - (1d20+2)[21]
    Last edited by madtinker; 2011-11-23 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Initiative:
    (1d20+4)[16]
    Hide:
    (1d20+14)[21]

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Hobo two reaches his fallen comrade, and seeing the arrows, begins cursing elven rangers while scanning the brush for whomever killed his friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    If I start a full fledged fight out here I am almost certainly screwed. I try to crawl to the entrance making as little movement and sound as possible.
    hide
    (1d20+14)[18]
    move silently
    (1d20+9)[25]
    If I make it, what does the entrance look like? A small hole, hidden hatch, bush, what?

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    You reach the door unseen, and find the secret catch in an inconspicuous knot. It swings open without a sound, into a dark passage.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    I get in and use whatever means there might be to secure it behind me, quietly closing the door. If there is none, then I hope they don't find it. I then start down the dark passage, feeling the walls for torches, or other means of light.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    You're able to light a torch from a bracket in the wall.

    It reveals a scene of carnage. Bodies of friend and foe are strewn about haphazardly, mangled and torn. In the torchlight especially, the gaping, weird faces and corpses cast unnerving shadows on the wall, and the stink of death is everywhere. The stairs leading up were destroyed as part of an attempt to deny the orcs access, but it helped little. You don't recall exactly where the secret trapdoor is located, but it should be on the ground level.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    I start searching for the trap door wherever I remember it to be approximately. I would loot, but they have probably been picked over by the orcs and hobgoblins, and it would take forever. It can wait until the heat is off and I can take more than one hit.
    Search
    (1d20+3)[16]

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    After quite a bit of poking around, examining walls and alcoves, you find the secret door on the north end of the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Search for a trap on the door, just in case.
    [roll]1d20+3[/roll] (18)
    Disable device.
    [roll]1d20+5[/roll] (20)
    Assuming there is no trap detected Jaster looks around and sees what supplies are there, as well as if there is a way to contact the Elves.

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    You climb a ladder down to a small room full of dust and cobwebs. The shelf on the opposite wall is stacked with records, tomes, scrolls, and a few potions. Barrels of flour and rice are stacked around the walls, and a cistern full of water sits in a corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Jaster looks through the scrolls to see what is available. Hopefully there is at least a sending scroll. After that he looks through the potions and also looks for a bed, or something to make a makeshift bed and recover from his fight with the dire badger.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Though usually scrolls must be deciphered to determine their contents, these are well labeled. Most are damaged from water or mold and unreadable, but you manage to find one that is marked "sending." Make a use magic device check, then make a wisdom check. You do notice some fold up cots behind one of the barrels.

    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    The UMD DC is 27 if I read the rules right. He'll never make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    I'll send to the Elven liason that I can recognize on sight, but that is about it. Hopefully she is in her office.
    use magic device
    (1d20+1)[5]
    wisdom
    (1d20+1)[4]

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    You smell ozone, like burning electronics (not that Jaster knows what that is). The parchment catches fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Jaster makes a mental note to learn to use magical devices because he is terrible at it. Looks like that is the end of that route. Jaster grabs a cot and decides to grab whatever records or tomes are written in elven or common and settle in until his wounds heal. Until then he will eat the rice and orc rations he has. Let me know if he finds anything useful. He isn't looking for anything in particular, he just has a couple days to burn.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Your torch burns low, and down in this hole there isn't any other source of light.

    Also, make a listen check.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Better find more torches as soon as I make this listen check and make sure there is no one outside.
    listen
    (1d20+3)[10]

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=who's alive?]1d8[/roll] If 1-3, it's a ranger. else, an orc.

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    That didn't work. try again DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8)[6]


    You hear a faint moan from the upper level.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2011-11-26 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Well I need more torches anyway, I may as well check it out and watch and listen for hobos the entire time.
    listen
    (1d20+3)[20]
    spot
    (1d20+4)[12]

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Once upstairs, you quickly see the orc that is moaning. Face bloodied and bones broken, he is hanging to life by a thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Jaster looks for strips of cloth and anything he can use for rope, like belts or actual rope. Then he sneaks up to the orc and puts a rag over his mouth and a dagger to his throat and ask him if he speaks common or elven. If he speaks neither Jaster kills him outright. If he speaks either Jaster has questions to ask him, and if he won't answer any questions then Jaster will tie him up and cut his throat so he can't scream but will live for at least another hour. The questions are why they attacked, especially in daylight. If anyone hired them, and who it was. If there was anybody strange visiting their chief lately. Last if he will reveal where his tribe lives.
    None of Jasters threats are bluffs.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    The orc is mostly unconscious, but alternates into delirium. He does seem to understand common. You are easily able to tie him up, but as you do his skin becomes even clammier, and his eyes begin to dull. As his moans fade into unconsciousness, you hear the sound of another creature's shallow breathing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Jaster only threatened to tie him up and leave him to die. Give him some water to see if it helps. Was he able to get anything out of the orcs delirium?
    May as well check out the other creature too.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Make a heal check. And after a little searching, the only other breathing creature you find is one of the younger rangers, just arrived at the outpost. His face is almost completely white from loss of blood, and he appears to be in shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •