Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1473

Thread: Machines of War

  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manwhoisthisman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I would be honored to help."
    Spoiler
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Dm/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    We need to check out the security at the manor and the estate without raising suspicion. Maybe I can get on as a tracker for the hunt. The current tracker may have to be "out sick". The other possibility is to bring in "a giant boar" that "I have been tracking" and "know just how to kill". I would prefer to get this done sooner rather than later. Give Smirnoff time to recover for whatever happens after the harvest. I also may be a ble to use this job to advance my own agenda.

  3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fetch the bodies to Garen's farm and wrap them in canvas with lots of rock salt. Then you take them to a small natural cave, its mouth covered by a thick oaken door. Inside are rows of rough hewn planks along the walls like bunkbeds. Cobwebs fill the gloom, and you clear them away from two of the planks, laying the bodies to rest thereon. After a few minutes alone with his sons, Garen gathers a few supplies and you set off down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #1204
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    curf06's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Jaster
    Spoiler
    Show


    I could go and gather information about the tracker the royalty is planning on using.
    As for the hunt I could hide in some predetermined location and wait to ambush the prince. I should be able to use some of Red Raven's connections to obtain poison or any other special items needed.

    Last edited by curf06; 2012-09-12 at 01:47 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lets get a location on the prince and then we will see what we need.Check out the tracker so I won't be suspicious. I will find a place outside the manner to hide and watch.

  6. - Top - End - #1206
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manwhoisthisman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll keep a eye out more particularly for eye out for trouble as we travel, since this guy already seems to have enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    After another day and a half, you arrive at the monastery. In the courtyard, your mentor notices you. Placing his left fist on his right palm in the center of his chest, he bows first to you and then your guest. Keiji, back so soon? And who is you companion?


    @Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    How do you plan to go about finding where the Prince lives?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ask Red Raven if they know where Prince Belmont lives. If that doesn't work, ask the beggars.

  9. - Top - End - #1209
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    curf06's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Jaster
    Spoiler
    Show

    Should I drop by the inn to see if Keiji has been there? He might be able to help us.

  10. - Top - End - #1210
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manwhoisthisman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Keiji returns his mentor's bow, only bowing lower. "I've brought a man I believe was served an injustice. I hope that the elders might see fit to judge his case and deliver justice. I would accept the assignment for collecting the accused myself, should that be their wish. I also bring intelligence gathered from my last mission, which remains unfinished. But, I should wait to discuss that matter until I can meet with you and the elders together."
    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    At this point, Garen cuts in. Begging pardon, your grace, but they killed my sons, and tried to kill me as well. If not for the aid of this here fellow, I'd be dead sure as I'm standin here.

    I am sorry for your loss. Being servants of law and justice, we of course will intervene. Such lawless behavior will not be tolerated.

    As for you Keiji, yes, I think it would be wise to speak in council about this. Please keep yourselves available; the elders are currently convened, and they may be willing to hear your case today. I shall inquire.


    He bows again and disappears in the confines of the monastery.

    Is there anything you would like to do while you wait to come before the council?


    @Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trevor refuses to answer any of your questions, and tersely asks you to leave, as if he has never seen you and and does not wish to make your acquaintance. The beggars claim to not know anything. No one has seen Keiji at the inn.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Dm/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any other rumors about the prince. Habits, superstitions, lady friend who is slightly easier to locate, anything besides hunting. If not, try divination if Curf has seen him.

  13. - Top - End - #1213
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    curf06's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Jaster
    Spoiler
    Show

    I gather information in the city about the tracker that the royalty will be using.

    Gather Information
    (1d20+5)[21]

  14. - Top - End - #1214
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manwhoisthisman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll want to take the guy to the healer's cell (because in a monastery, every room is a cell), and spend a little time meditating by the waterfall.
    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    After about three hours an initiate monk comes to fetch you.On the roof of the monastery (because none of the cells are large enough), the council sits in council, cross legged on the bare stone.

    The youngest council member, a mere 87 years old, acting as voice, begins; Keiji, we understand you have returned without completing your mission. Please, explain to us why this appeared expedient.


    @Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Prince does his own tracking. He's basically the most upstanding royalty you can find. Doesn't party, does his duties, is probably destined for an arranged marriage. Is rumored to have a wizard tutor.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Dm/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The wizard tutor is the place to start. More likely is a powerful wizard, but not uber-powerful. How common is the practice of magic here? Start at the local wizards guild. We/I need advice on a matter of possible arcane interest. Use my weird talisman as a focus for their interest.

  17. - Top - End - #1217
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manwhoisthisman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I was captured by Red Raven, but was able to escape with more information about the activities of their organization. As I knew they would be hunting me to get the information back, I thought it would be safest if I brought it here before returning to complete my mission. Had I been captured again, the opportunities their records present would have been lost." Keiji removes the records, as well as the collection of seals and signet rings from his bag and presents them to the council.
    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    A small boy in the robes of an initiate darts from the shadows, takes the bundle, and delivers it to the seated elders. The woman everyone calls Grandmother examines them carefully. This is quite the discovery. Are you certain you were not followed? I do not think they would have let go of such a prize without protest.


    @Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Curf is wandering around around trying to find more information on the tracker, someone brushes by him and thrusts a small piece of parchment into his hand.

    Meanwhile, Jaster has some difficulty locating a Wizards Guild. He does however, find a Wizard's School.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    A wizards school. Most excellent. That should narrow the search considerably. Go in and ask who is knowledgeable enough to know what the talisman is at the same time can explain it to me.

  20. - Top - End - #1220
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    curf06's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Jaster
    Spoiler
    Show

    I walk a block then go into an alleyway to read the note.

  21. - Top - End - #1221
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manwhoisthisman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I have been followed, it is by trackers. I am uncertain they were aware of my possession of the records when I was captured. My captors and I soon left the building where I obtained the records because they had been made aware of a raid by the city guards. Such corruption! Nevertheless, I would not doubt the resources at the disposal of Red Raven, they may even now be scrying to locate me.
    Spoiler
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    The voice waves over the little boy, whispers a few words in his ear, and lets him scamper off. It is of no consequence. Any intruders shall be dealt with.

    On the subject of these items, they appear to be instruments of forgery.Red Raven may have a wider sphere than we anticipated. But then, one cannot fathom the depths of a pool without diving in.

    Keiji, you may leave us. We will decide a course of action tonight. Please report here when the sun is a fingers breadth above the horizon.


    As you are leaving, you hear And to you, Garen, what aid can we supply...


    @Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The note says: "#5 Swan Creek."

    There is only one wizard in the place. It is a wizard's school after all, not a wizards' school. He is a fat old man with a well trimmed beard and a perpetual smile. His clothes are mismatched and the buttons of his shirt are done crookedly. He greets you gracefully, seemingly not noticing your garb or weapons. And what can I do for you today sir? Come to learn a bit of history, perhaps? Have a difficult cipher? Maybe you need a little help penning a sonnet to your lady fair, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    Dm/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have a strange talisman. I was wondering what you could tell me about it. I took it off an ancient chief and based off the murals on the walls of his tomb he may have been a great warrior or hunter.
    Gather information (1d20+7)[18]

  24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    No trouble at all, let's have a look see. He turns it over in his hands, smells it, fishes a small hammer out of his pocket and dings the talisman, holding it up to his ear. Next, he applies a drop of clear liquid from a small vial and watches the spot where it fell with a magnifying glass. After several more such esoteric exercises, he lays it on the counter and chants a few strange words. Nothing happens. You follow him to his office where he has a worktable, and he continues his examinations.

    Finally he takes a large book from a shelf and flips through the pages. Ah ha! Here it is. Definitely non-magical. Inert, resonant, low inclusion count, zero porosity, high strength, high toughness, small grain size, and look at the color. My dear sir, you have a sample of naturally occuring mithril-adamantium alloy. You're lucky you came to me. I reckon I'm the only one with a legible copy of this book for five hundred miles around.



    DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    appraise - (1d20+6)[14]bluff - (1d20+4)[22]He knows what it is in a general way, but not how much it is worth. Therefore, he has no reason to use to bluff roll.
    Last edited by madtinker; 2012-09-19 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    That explains why I haven't experienced any effects from wearing it. What else does your book say about this adamantium/mithril alloy?

  26. - Top - End - #1226
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manwhoisthisman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll visit my parents (both also monks at the monastery), and then get a cell to rest for a few hours. After that I'll read a little in the library, and exercise for about two hours before dawn. Assuming the night is uneventful, I'm there at dawn.
    Spoiler
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your parents are pleased to see you, even though you haven't been gone long. After a refreshing rest and bracing calisthenics you arrive at your meeting.

    Keiji, your mission is twofold. First, escort Garen back to his land. Find out why Clayton Barnes killed Heinrich and Gustav. Deal with him as justice demands.

    Then, return to Laffierre and uncover this ring of treachery and deceit. Red Raven is apparently forging documents to spread unrest and monger war. For the stability of the peace, they must not be allowed to continue. Additionally, your previous mission of investigating Luther Griswald and preventing the spread of monastery secrets must still be carried out.

    Do you have any questions?


    @Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just its alchemical properties. Very interesting stuff. You know, I would pay handsomely for any quantity of this you can bring me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #1228
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Manwhoisthisman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    "No, my elders. I shall go with harmony and justice." Keiji bows low with fist in palm.

    I meet up with Garen, and let him know that we will be departing as soon as he is ready. While we travel, I will discuss the plan for finding Clayton. "I'd prefer to confront him alone, as I cannot guarantee I will be able to protect you if he chooses to become violent. Nevertheless, it is your justice that I now seek to serve, so you may accompany me if you must. What does Clayton look like, and where can I likely find him?"
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    INWranger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Machines of War

    DM/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the only sample I know of, but i might sell. How much is handsomely? (Wait for the offer)I happen to be looking for someone. You may be in a position to tell me who they are and where I can find them. If you can, then I will consider such information to be valuable, and could lower my selling price.

  30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    madtinker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Machines of War

    @Keiji
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clayton is probably on his farm. Or mine, if he's aiming for a land grab. You can't miss him; he had his eye kicked out by a cow a span of years back. Just an ugly scar now.


    @Jaster/Curf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, for a sample this size, a hundred gold pieces seems appropriate. Whom are you seeking? I may know them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •